Old 09-14-2019, 02:07 PM

Perhaps you should fill your tank now: Saudi Arabia to cut 1/2 crude production after attack

On Saturday, Houthi rebels in Yemen managed to launch a series of drone attacks against Saudi Arabian oil production apparatus. In response, KSA has declared it will temporarily cut crude oil production by 50 percent, roughly 5 million barrels a day. Price effects on Sunday futures are predicted by one analyst to be a rise of 5-10 USD per barrel, roughly 12-25 cents per gallon of gasoline. Story here at CNBC, citing the Wall Street Journal: https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/09/14/...-wsj-says.html

The picture with the article is sobering. Wild Well Control et al, are about to be very busy.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:16 PM

I read about this and plan to fill up both cars before the day is over. Crazy stuff.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:18 PM

Not good.

Not only for the gasoline and energy consumer, but this will probably be a pressure point in terms of regional stability. If you're Saudi Arabia, the feeling is that it's an outrageous act that demands a response. Iran will be implicated, whether they had advanced knowledge of the attack and/or participated in it, or not (and I'm guessing the latter is more likely). Hopefully cooler heads will prevail

Last edited by asahi; 09-14-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:18 PM

I was watching video of this in the wee hours of today; many explosions and many fires.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:26 PM

Here's the AP story, btw.
Quote:
The fires began after the sites were “targeted by drones,” the Interior Ministry said in a statement carried by the state-run Saudi Press Agency. It said an investigation was underway.

Saudi Aramco, the state-owned oil giant, did not respond to questions from The Associated Press.

In a short address aired by the Houthi’s Al-Masirah satellite news channel, military spokesman Yahia Sarie said the rebels launched 10 drones after receiving “intelligence” support from those inside the kingdom. He warned that attacks by the rebels would only get worse if the war continues.

"The only option for the Saudi government is to stop attacking us,” Sarie said.

The rebels hold Yemen’s capital, Sanaa, and other territory in the Arab world’s poorest country. Since 2015, a Saudi-led coalition has fought to reinstate the internationally recognized Yemeni government.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 09-14-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:12 PM

The Houthis have been quite forward-thinking in their use of drones in this conflict. There's video of them attacking a military review stand with an explosive-carrying drone, and they've previously attacked Saudi production equipment, though nowhere near as effective as this latest attack.

I'm sure the Iranians have a back channel communication to the effect of, "If we don't get to sell oil, you don't either."

Only going to get worse when both sides admit they possess a local nuclear deterrent.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:02 PM

Rebel/terrorist groups all over are using drones now. There was a story a number of days back where a bomb drone was lowing low on battery and used the automatic "return to base" function...
Old 09-14-2019, 05:11 PM

The US certainly wants to hang this on Iran. From the OP reference:
Quote:
But U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo blamed Iran for the attacks.

"Tehran is behind nearly 100 attacks on Saudi Arabia while Rouhani and Zarif pretend to engage in diplomacy. Amid all the calls for de-escalation, Iran has now launched an unprecedented attack on the world's energy supply," Pompeo tweeted. "There is no evidence the attacks came from Yemen."
That Iran probably supported this with intelligence and equipment I do not doubt, but I'll wait for somewhat firmer evidence that it wasn't the Houthi's attack, they have shown themselves to be rather resourceful rebels.

I wonder if there will be a follow-up attack if the US/Saudi try to retaliate against Iran and/or the Houthi..

Interesting times...

Last edited by The Stainless Steel Rat; 09-14-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
On Saturday, Houthi rebels in Yemen managed to launch a series of drone attacks against Saudi Arabian oil production apparatus. In response, KSA has declared it will temporarily cut crude oil production by 50 percent, roughly 5 million barrels a day. Price effects on Sunday futures are predicted by one analyst to be a rise of 5-10 USD per barrel, roughly 12-25 cents per gallon of gasoline. Story here at CNBC, citing the Wall Street Journal: https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/09/14/...-wsj-says.html

The picture with the article is sobering. Wild Well Control et al, are about to be very busy.
Its going to have the effect of dropping the street price of gas signifigantly. The Saudi's are looking to boost the price of oil. but thats only going to be short term until American Shale comes back online and causes a glut leading to lower prices. If the Saudi cut last more than two weeks, i will be surprised.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:34 PM

I don't even own a tank. Should I buy one?
Old 09-14-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Alex View Post
You ever read the Tom Clancy book, Red Storm Rising ?

Buying an Abrams/Chally or Leo 2 might put you ahead of your peers.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:01 PM

Electric car driver, here

I'm more worried about this incident causing more armed conflict.

Last edited by sps49sd; 09-14-2019 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:22 PM
Entangled
Charter Member

They may be cutting their production in half, but the short term flow from Saudi Arabia is guaranteed.

The Saudis have something like 37 days of reserve to cover any interruptions from the attack. The price of oil will rise, yes, but just a bit. Once it becomes clearer how long it will take to repair everything, prices will stabilize (assuming there are no repeat attacks).
Old 09-14-2019, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

The futures markets for crude oil will open tomorrow, September 15 at 5 PM central. The crude contract is a very large one, the tick size is .01 with every .01=$10.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post
They may be cutting their production in half, but the short term flow from Saudi Arabia is guaranteed.

The Saudis have something like 37 days of reserve to cover any interruptions from the attack. The price of oil will rise, yes, but just a bit. Once it becomes clearer how long it will take to repair everything, prices will stabilize (assuming there are no repeat attacks).
It's the instability and the speculation that will drive the price more than the actual supply/demand, at leas for now.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You should check out the documentary "The gang solves the gas crisis" where they used just that concept. You can find it on the prestigious station FXX or lots of clips from many of their other episodes where they solve crises affecting so many of us can be easily located on youtube.

Last edited by Joey P; 09-14-2019 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:30 AM
Endowment Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
I read about this and plan to fill up both cars before the day is over. Crazy stuff.
Why the immediacy? Even if your tanks are empty, you're saving like $4, tops.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
It's the instability and the speculation that will drive the price more than the actual supply/demand, at leas for now.
Panic buying and hoarding are also a big problem, ime. In 2017, an interview (and possibly misunderstood quote) from an oil executive set off panic buying in the North Texas area. The fear was that Hurricane Harvey had disabled a significant part of US refining capability and people began hurrying to fill their tanks. As the day went on, they (literally) emptied the pipelines into the DFW area and the panic got worse. After a couple of days, people were losing their shit. In some cases, enterprising newbie "preppers" decided to take large tanks and grab more of the dwindling supplies in the few(er) open stations. Fights broke out as those further back in line realized the limited amount was being taken by Bubba and his makeshift tanks. Those who didn't have plenty of fuel found themselves either scouring the surrounding areas for it, or trying to find rides to work for the next week.

Even if the shortage isn't "real", when you're the last cricket on a picked-over field, it becomes real for you. Having some backup supply, whether it's the extra half-tank in your car, or purpose-built storage tanks on your property, is pretty smart in my opinion.

Last edited by pullin; 09-15-2019 at 05:07 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
You ever read the Tom Clancy book, Red Storm Rising ?

Buying an Abrams/Chally or Leo 2 might put you ahead of your peers.
I have actually read that book, I think I'd go for an Israeli Merkeva though, just to be different, and it has space to carry my friends around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
You should check out the documentary "The gang solves the gas crisis" where they used just that concept. You can find it on the prestigious station FXX or lots of clips from many of their other episodes where they solve crises affecting so many of us can be easily located on youtube.
I'll have a look, thank you.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
The US certainly wants to hang this on Iran.
Of course it does. Trump has been practically salivating over the notion of a war with Iran so he can show how manly he is.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post
Panic buying and hoarding are also a big problem, ime. In 2017, an interview (and possibly misunderstood quote) from an oil executive set off panic buying in the North Texas area. The fear was that Hurricane Harvey had disabled a significant part of US refining capability and people began hurrying to fill their tanks. As the day went on, they (literally) emptied the pipelines into the DFW area and the panic got worse. After a couple of days, people were losing their shit. In some cases, enterprising newbie "preppers" decided to take large tanks and grab more of the dwindling supplies in the few(er) open stations. Fights broke out as those further back in line realized the limited amount was being taken by Bubba and his makeshift tanks. Those who didn't have plenty of fuel found themselves either scouring the surrounding areas for it, or trying to find rides to work for the next week.

Even if the shortage isn't "real", when you're the last cricket on a picked-over field, it becomes real for you. Having some backup supply, whether it's the extra half-tank in your car, or purpose-built storage tanks on your property, is pretty smart in my opinion.
I was in Dallas at the time, having fled Harvey. Longest line I'd ever seen at a Costco gas station. I had thought though that some of the problems Dallas faced weren't so much from panic buying, though there was a lot of that, but an inability to replenish stock due to the transportation outages from flooding. In any event, it went away after a day or two, IIRC.

AIUI, crude production in the US can be easily raised from its current level. Refining capacity, OTOH, I thought was near peak.

It is a very large facility that was set on fire. Is there more information about the extent of the damage?
Old 09-15-2019, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

First reports said that it would take two years to repair the damage. And that's assuming no more damage occurs over that time. Your filling up today or next week won't matter a bit in the long run.

If this remains true, then the global chain will wind up shifting. The politically important question is whether we can use this as a wedge to drive alternative energy sources because the environmental dotards in the administration claim that we have to pump more fossil fuels out of the ground.

Higher gas prices will also make the car manufacturers who agreed to abide with California's regulations look even more intelligent and far-seeing than the administration who canned the Obama era CAFE rules and is looking into an anti-trust challenge.

Hey, if the planet has any luck at all, another drone will knock out the other half of Saudi production.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps49sd View Post
Before you get too smug, consider how all of your goods and services are logisticated.

Edit: AFAIK, that's not a word; I intended to coin it, but for some reason, the spell checker is approving it.

Last edited by Balthisar; 09-15-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:21 PM

Prepare for a lot more fracking to start soon...
Old 09-15-2019, 08:24 PM

Nothing to report from here. No smoke, no sheets of flame. No convoys of fire engines. I am about 35 miles from all this.

Oddly this is not ever a subject of water cooler talk at the office.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 09-15-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin View Post

Morons, all of them. Anyone with any sense filled up the Friday before, or that Monday (IIRC it hit Houston on a Saturday or Sunday), and then laughed at those idiots waiting in gas lines. Because you KNOW a hurricane hitting Houston is going to cause gas prices to rise, even without dumb-ass panic buying.

Last edited by bump; 09-15-2019 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Of course it does. Trump has been practically salivating over the notion of a war with Iran so he can show how manly he is.
Total nonsense. If Trump actually wanted war with Iran, there's no way in the world he would have just fired the one government official who above all others was trying to start such a war -- i.e., John Bolton.
Old 09-16-2019, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Morons, all of them. Anyone with any sense filled up the Friday before, or that Monday (IIRC it hit Houston on a Saturday or Sunday), and then laughed at those idiots waiting in gas lines. Because you KNOW a hurricane hitting Houston is going to cause gas prices to rise, even without dumb-ass panic buying.
Yes, we're surrounded by idiots who can't think more than a few hours into the future. Googling "baby boomer retirement" will make this even more apparent. I enjoyed laughing at them, as I do at all the unaffected (unhurt, no damage) who scurry around like dismayed children when the shelves/tanks/trucks are suddenly empty. Gosh! A hurricane hit the coast! No one saw that coming, right?

I believe it is morally and ethically OK to load up a trailer of $400 generators, drive to Florida in the aftermath of a big storm, and sell them for $2000 each. I have zero problem with this, since those needing them knew where they lived and had plenty of time to prepare. However, many of my fellow citizens disagree, and as I understand it, I (or Home Depot) might be charged with a crime for this.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:31 AM

Saudis supply 10% of the world's oil - and now they would supply about 5% of it. I would think other suppliers will promptly step up to the plate. In any case the US economy has plenty of reserve oil, and alternative suppliers. To make a noticeable difference to the US economy the reduction in oil supply needs to be extremely drastic and prolonged.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps49sd View Post

I'm more worried about this incident causing more armed conflict.
What is the source of the electricity you use? Much of the electricity used in the US is generated with steam turbines using fossil fuels.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post
What is the source of the electricity you use? Much of the electricity used in the US is generated with steam turbines using fossil fuels.
While fossil fuels accounts for about two-thirds of US electrical energy production, almost all of that made up of either natural gas or coal. Oil is less than 1%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr..._United_States
Old 09-16-2019, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Total nonsense. If Trump actually wanted war with Iran, there's no way in the world he would have just fired the one government official who above all others was trying to start such a war -- i.e., John Bolton.
Really?
Old 09-16-2019, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

FWIW. We live in Abqaiq for 11 years. No one we know still lives there. All aged out. But we received an email from some from a retired safety engineer from the other strike. He just retired so knows people still there. They are all safe but the damage he estimates will take about two years to repair.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:58 PM

CNN:
Quote:
The Trump administration “can’t say definitively” that Iran was behind an attack on an oil facility on Saudi Arabia, White House deputy press secretary Hogan Gidley told reporters, adding that officials are still in the process of making the case to the American people.

“The President is dealing with all of our partners and allies in the region, and we want to make sure the evidence clearly points to a culprit here. In all likelihood, as the President said, it was Iran,” Gidley said. “But when we have a definitive on that we’ll let you know.”
Old 09-17-2019, 01:14 PM

Per an unnamed US official, the missiles used to attack the oil facility in SA, were launched from Southern Iran, near the Iraq border: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/iran-sa...ian-territory/
Quote:
The United States has identified the exact locations in Iran from which a combination of more than 20 drones and cruise missiles were launched against Saudi oil facilities over the weekend, a senior U.S. official told CBS News national security correspondent David Martin on Tuesday. The official said the locations are in southern Iran, at the northern end of the Persian Gulf....

...A U.S. team has been on the ground at the oil facilities and identified the specific types of drones and cruise missiles fired, Martin reported. The wreckage was moved to a facility outside the Saudi capital of Riyadh, where it will be used to make what one U.S. official called, "a very compelling forensic case" that Iran launched "a complex and coordinated attack" on Saudi Arabia.

In addition to the wreckage, the forensic case will include radar tracks reconstructed after the fact that show the cruise missiles and drones coming out of Iran...
Interesting that conventional, non-stealthy cruise missiles were able to be launched, transit Iraqi, Kuwaiti. and KSA airspace, and not be interdicted. Good thing it was only explosives being carried by those missiles.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:23 PM

Also, per this tweet, half of the 46 ships in the Ready Reserve Fleet are being activated, on a 'turbo' basis. I have read of a merchant sailor immediate muster drill being conducted either today or yesterday. It may not actually be a drill.

These are ships used to convey large amounts of materiel, ordnance, and other supplies from the US to local logistical sites. IOW, if you need to move an army, these are the boats you use move all of the stuff that can't economically be flown to the area. 40 of those ships were activated for OIF in 2003.

Carriers get moved in order to conduct airstrikes. These ships are what you use when you want to invade.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 09-17-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:25 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

As for gas prices, the station near my work where I usually fill up is about 25¢/gallon higher today than mid last week. This is purely profit-taking as there hasn't been time for the more expensive crude to have been processed yet. Of course, when the price of crude drops, it takes lots longer for that decrease to show up at the pump.

And remember back when gas was lots more expensive and a fuel surcharge was tacked on to everything delivered by truck? I'm pretty sure none of those prices came down afterwards. It's not just the oil companies reaping profits from reduced production.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Good thing it was only explosives being carried by those missiles.
What else would they carry? Candy?
Old 09-17-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
What else would they carry? Candy?
I guess, maybe.

I suspect he was thinking of nukes.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Pffff... tank warfare is so last war.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
I guess, maybe.

I suspect he was thinking of nukes.
Or slime, or bugs.

Those missiles could have been launched from the back of a truck anywhere in the region---in fact I'm surprised they launched from Iranian soil, and not from Iraqi or Kuwaiti territory. Or shoot, Qatari, though I think the US keeps a close eye on anything near Al Udeid. Considering the state of the Iraqi-Iranian border or Kuwaiti border, and the historical competence of Quds Force, it would not have been much more difficult to do so, and it would have complicated considerations of who was responsible.

Then again, if they were to do that, they probably wouldn't have used Iranian weapons.

I was trying to put myself in the shoes of the King of Saudi Arabia. Despite all of the money and equipment, things like Aegis Ashore, Patriot radars, AWACS planes overhead, no one ostensibly saw a damn thing until the world's largest refinery blew up. The missiles flew over several countries, and as accurate as the strikes looked, could have flown through the window of the King's residence in Riyadh, with the same lack of warning. That would bother me, if I were the King.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:20 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Are you taking what Trump says he's going to do as indicative of what he's actually going to do?

Last edited by Miller; 09-17-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Or slime, or bugs.

Those missiles could have been launched from the back of a truck anywhere in the region---in fact I'm surprised they launched from Iranian soil, and not from Iraqi or Kuwaiti territory. Or shoot, Qatari, though I think the US keeps a close eye on anything near Al Udeid. Considering the state of the Iraqi-Iranian border or Kuwaiti border, and the historical competence of Quds Force, it would not have been much more difficult to do so, and it would have complicated considerations of who was responsible.
Or they could have been launched from Saudi soil. Arabian borders are hardly airtight, and you could hide an army in the Empty Quarter.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Gasoline has been normal price in SE Michigan, FWIW.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:40 PM

OK, fine I filled up. Thirteen dollars. Same as always.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 09-18-2019, 05:12 AM
Charter Member

Slight rise in DFW area, I think. I usually only pay attention to diesel, and it's up about 35-30 cents in my area. I topped off the boat yesterday with another 50 gallons in case marina fuel follows the prices upward. For my Corolla, I don't even notice the price, but when I'm buying 50-100 gallons each fill up at the marina, it makes sense to get ahead of even a small increase.

Last edited by pullin; 09-18-2019 at 05:13 AM.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:06 AM

Trump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Trump
I have just instructed the Secretary of the Treasury to substantially increase Sanctions on the country of Iran!
Old 09-18-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Per an unnamed US official, the missiles used to attack the oil facility in SA, were launched from Southern Iran, near the Iraq border: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/iran-sa...ian-territory/

Interesting that conventional, non-stealthy cruise missiles were able to be launched, transit Iraqi, Kuwaiti. and KSA airspace, and not be interdicted. Good thing it was only explosives being carried by those missiles.
Why would you believe the Trump administration on this? When he screwed on the path of a storm, they had the head of NOAA lie to back him up. I don't even believe named officials of this administration and I surely wouldn't believe the gaslighting of some unnamed official. This administration has zero credibility with all their lies and gaslighting. If Pompeo told me the sky is blue, I would go out and check. I don't understand how people still believe anything these liars say.

Are you saying Iran has nukes? I'm very about that. They may get them, since Trump blew up the nuclear agreement, but they don't have them now.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post

Are you saying Iran has nukes? I'm very about that. They may get them, since Trump blew up the nuclear agreement, but they don't have them now.
It's odd how there seemed to be some stability out of Iran for several years, but in the last year, things have been spiraling downward. Does anyone know what might've caused this?

And as if on cue, Trump just tweeted:

I have just instructed the Secretary of the Treasury to substantially increase Sanctions on the country of Iran!

Last edited by wguy123; 09-18-2019 at 09:21 AM.