Old 09-13-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Lou Dobbs says The White House is a Great Place to Work!
Are you sure you spelled “Loud Obbs” correctly?
Old 09-13-2019, 01:30 PM

Ivanka says she gets her moral compass from her father. That explains a lot.
https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2...donors-1488704
Old 09-13-2019, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsnak View Post
Even the 3000K LEDs can have poor colour rendition, particularly in the red/orange part of the spectrum. CRI (colour rendition index) is the specification that tells you if an LED is providing proper full-spectrum light. Low CRI LEDs make you look green(ish), not orange. Sadly, it can be hard to figure out which bulbs have better CRI. Many manufacturers do not put that specification on the box.
I just always assumed 3000K light sources have poor color rendition as a rule, given their color temperature as compared with daylight (5000-6000K). I am familiar with CRI and even have one (halogen, I believe) 5000K light with a CRI of 99 for color evaluating photographic prints. The "soft white" bulbs I have in the house make everything look yellowish-to-orangish to me, just like the old incandescent lights did. It's pretty obvious if you happen to have a room with a daylight balanced bulb installed, and then another with a tungsten light. The latter is noticeably orange to my eyes. (Though if you don't have that reference point, your eyes do "color correct.")

But I see now that CRI is a separate issue still. I just always assumed that was for daylight balanced bulbs, but I guess not.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:32 PM

The mayor of Prospect Park, NJ says he was pulled aside by customs, asked if he had met with any terrorists or went to places where there were terrorists. They then kept his phone for 12 days. His name? Mohamed Khairullah.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/mohame...-interrogation
Old 09-13-2019, 01:35 PM

To be fair, he was from New Jersey. Lot of bad hombres there.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
That's exactly it. To Republicans, anything that benefits the environment (like LED light bulbs and paper straws) is the butt of a joke. Har har.

And to Trump, environmental regulations are associated with Obama, and are therefore anathema. If Obama had been a duck hunter Trump would have all wetlands declared National Monuments.
Obama should have thought of that before he left office!
Old 09-13-2019, 03:13 PM

I don't recall Obama having a "favorite dictator", and I'm sure Republicans would have lost their minds if he did. But, rest assured that there will be no comments from the GOP about Trump referring to Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Al Sisi as "my favorite dictator".

This is fine.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

If Little Rocket Man gets wind of this, there's gonna be major drama...
Old 09-13-2019, 08:46 PM

A few days ago the inspector general for the intelligence community notified Congress of a whistleblower complaint that was both credible and a matter of “urgent concern.” Rep. Adam Schiff, the Chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, naturally asked the Director of National Intelligence to provide a copy of the complaint, as required by law. The DNI told him no. Schiff immediately issued a subpoena compelling the information to be provided.
https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-dr...s-to-fuck-off/
Old 09-13-2019, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
I don't recall Obama having a "favorite dictator", and I'm sure Republicans would have lost their minds if he did. But, rest assured that there will be no comments from the GOP about Trump referring to Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Al Sisi as "my favorite dictator".

This is fine.
Does this mean he's no longer in love with Kim Jong-un?
Old 09-13-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
Did Trump really go off on light bulbs? ...

Does he not know he looks orange outside in the sunlight? Next up, banning all solar energy.

Hey Donne, if it's the lightbulbs then how come you're the only one in the room that looks orange, you fuckin jagoff?
Old 09-13-2019, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
A few days ago the inspector general for the intelligence community notified Congress of a whistleblower complaint that was both credible and a matter of “urgent concern.” Rep. Adam Schiff, the Chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, naturally asked the Director of National Intelligence to provide a copy of the complaint, as required by law. The DNI told him no. Schiff immediately issued a subpoena compelling the information to be provided.
Here is some additional info.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...987439110.html
Old 09-13-2019, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
.... If Obama had been a duck hunter Trump would have all wetlands declared National Monuments.
By Emergency Executive order, it is never duck season. Rabbit season remains unchanged. So let it be Sharpied, so let it be done!

- Himself
Old 09-13-2019, 09:32 PM

Mike Pence says Kentucky Derby winner American Pharaoh bit him. The farm manager says it didn't happen.
https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/pol...235066162.html
Old 09-13-2019, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Mike Pence says Kentucky Derby winner American Pharaoh bit him. The farm manager says it didn't happen.
Is the horse OK?
Old 09-13-2019, 09:47 PM

Individual 1 calls Kevin McCarthy a cow with a beautiful face.
https://www.rawstory.com/2019/09/tru...st-like-a-cow/
Old 09-13-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasg View Post
Is the horse OK?
He's better than ok! He's fucking awesome!
Old 09-13-2019, 09:54 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
From the link.
Quote:
Barr was with Pence, but did not see the bite occur. He did see a bruise when Pence “showed it off on Air Force Two,” spokeswoman Jodi Whitaker said.

“I’m a horse guy. I said, ‘Yeah, let me hold him,’ ” Pence said. But then, he said, American Pharoah “bit me so hard on the arm, I almost collapsed.
Wimp.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
To be fair, he was from New Jersey. Lot of bad hombres there.
Yeah, there's one in particular that's been known to hang out in Bedminster. Or so I'm told.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:20 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
By Emergency Executive order, it is never duck season. Rabbit season remains unchanged. So let it be Sharpied, so let it be done!

- Himself

I bet this is considered a news report for the oranganus.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Compelling? Won't they just say 'No' again? Damn the Congress; damn the law; damn the Constitution.

The FBI, or other agencies under the Traitor's thumb, can get no-knock search warrants, arrest for contempt, etc. Can Schiff do anything more forceful than generating pieces of paper?
Old 09-14-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Lou Dobbs says The White House is a Great Place to Work!

"Sunshine beaming throughout the place"????? I don't care where you work. If you describe it that way, something's wrong. People don't even describe Disney that way.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/fox-b...b03b5fc8819639
I did work in a place which would be described that way. It was not a compliment.

The official name is Palmas Altas; the nick is Palmatraz. The bid to build it was won by an English firm which took a look at rainfall numbers in Seville and were delighted to discover that total annual rainfall is actually higher than in London; they designed a complex which might have been fine in London, Rouen or Vigo but which in Seville (where all that rain falls as occasional, huge storms) was an oven. Six all-glass buildings, very open-plan distributions, and the rows of desks lined N-S. First thing in the morning, if your back was to the rising sun you couldn't use your computer's screen for the glare; if your face was to the rising sun it was "aaaaagh my eyes!"; turn it round for the setting sun. Eventually curtains were acquired but that was only one of the complex' many faults.

Last edited by Nava; 09-14-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:45 PM

His campaign photoshopped a Trump 2020 hat onto a private photo of a British reality tv figure for their online store.

https://twitter.com/ItsRykard/status...26476848742402

This is a step up from when Trump folks used stock agency photos of black people to make it seem they were real supporters of him.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:05 PM

Individual 1 calls for the DOJ to help to "rescue" Brett Kavanagh from sexual assault accusatiion.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/15/polit...cue/index.html
Old 09-15-2019, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Adam Schiff On CBS this morning.

Quote:
MARGARET BRENNAN: I want to ask you about some work you're doing here at home, which was you issued a subpoena on Friday for the acting director of intelligence alleging he's withholding a whistleblower disclosure possibly to protect President Trump. That's a pretty significant allegation here. We're putting up a quote on the screen from you. Have you gotten a response to this letter?

REP. SCHIFF: We've gotten a response and the director has said essentially that he is answering to a higher authority and refusing to turn over the whistleblower complaint. This is deeply troubling. No director--

MARGARET BRENNAN: Just ignoring the subpoena?

REP. SCHIFF: Well, at this point, yes. Ignoring the subpoena, ignoring our request. No DNI- no director of national intelligence has ever refused to turn over a whistleblower complaint. And here, Margaret, the significance is the inspector general found this complaint to be urgent, found it to be credible, that is they did some preliminary investigation, found the whistleblower to be credible, that suggests corroboration. And that it involved serious or flagrant wrongdoing. And according to the director of national intelligence, the reason he's not acting to provide it even though the statute mandates that he do so, is because he is being instructed not to. This involved a higher authority, someone above the DNI. Well there are only a few people--
N.B. The DNI reports directly to POTUS - so "only a few people" is one person...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/transcr...ember-15-2019/
Old 09-15-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:

N.B. The DNI reports directly to POTUS - so "only a few people" is one person...

Holy crap, Adam, for the love of god, NAME NAMES, ya big wussy!! Why does everyone keep tippy-toeing around?
Old 09-15-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:

We know the stupid fuck in the oval office is a traitor. Let's get this over with. Sheesss.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Individual 1 calls for the DOJ to help to "rescue" Brett Kavanagh from sexual assault accusatiion.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/15/polit...cue/index.html
Holy crap. His DOJ has already done enough damage in that regard.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:

So the DNI is refusing to turn over the document, is not complying with a Subponea -
What happens next?
Is there an action that can be taken that does NOT need the approval of congress?
Does the refusal trigger something else? (ieg - an arrest?)

If an individual can simply "ignore" the law - then the law means nothing at all
Old 09-15-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengangmo View Post
So the DNI is refusing to turn over the document, is not complying with a Subponea -
What happens next?
Is there an action that can be taken that does NOT need the approval of congress?
Does the refusal trigger something else? (ieg - an arrest?)
Apparently not.

Quote:
If an individual can simply "ignore" the law - then the law means nothing at all
Correct.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:00 PM

And in a follow up question -
If the DNI can "refuse" to provide the whistle blower complaint - could he also go outside the law and punish or take some other action against the whistle blower in retaliation?
Old 09-15-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:
And in a follow up question -
If the DNI can "refuse" to provide the whistle blower complaint - could he also go outside the law and punish or take some other action against the whistle blower in retaliation?
He could, in which case someone might file a complaint with his boss.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

So much for checks and balances (sigh)
Old 09-15-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
But (to paraphrase the article) he was sort of OK with being bitten, because he “likes to be around winners” and that’s the price you pay. Which is sort of a metaphor for his past two and and half years.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
So much for checks and balances (sigh)
You are ignoring the Constitutional fact of the unitary executive, wherein the three separate but equal branches are unified into a transcendent reality. This is an absolute and fundamental part of the Presidential office, and only varies depending on the worthiness of the President. Recently, GeeDubya was so endowed, then the unchanging fact was reversed, and currently is set at its natural condition, with the inauguration of Donald, of House Harkonnen, worst of his name....
Old 09-15-2019, 08:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Well, why did the IG tell Congress about the complaint at all, if he wasn't prepared to provide any more information than that?!
Old 09-15-2019, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

This article was posted on The Atlantic Monthly's website a couple of days ago. It's about the jockeying for power and influence among Trump's children. It suggests (surprisingly to me) that Donald Jr might be Most Likely To Succeed. Ivanka's attempts at inserting herself in world affairs(such as at the G20 conference in Osaka) has made her a punchline.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

She didn't wear the tiara! When you got a couple of million bucks worth of diamonds on your head, your opinions have much more gravitas.

Last edited by elucidator; 09-15-2019 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkrapine View Post
Well, why did the IG tell Congress about the complaint at all, if he wasn't prepared to provide any more information than that?!
We are talking about two different people. The IG was not the one who refused to provide additional information.
Old 09-15-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
But (to paraphrase the article) he was sort of OK with being bitten, because he “likes to be around winners” and that’s the price you pay. Which is sort of a metaphor for his past two and and half years.
Not unless the horse bit him hard in the ass, and Pence then turned around and stuffed his head so far up the horse's ass that he could taste the breakfast oats.

Then it would be sort of a metaphor.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
We are talking about two different people. The IG was not the one who refused to provide additional information.
Which raises the question....
If the DNI refuses to supply the information, can the IG do It?
Old 09-15-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Donald, of House Harkonnen, worst of his name....
When he was elected there were memes about some duck or other filing for a legal change of name...

Last edited by Nava; 09-15-2019 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Which raises the question....
If the DNI refuses to supply the information, can the IG do It?
Or Schiff could call a hearing and subpoena the whistleblower himself.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Only if he can learn who it is.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:44 PM

The subpoena Trump.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:36 PM

The Secret Service wants jet skis so they can protect the Trumps because "The First Family is very active in water sports." Yes, they actually said that.
I don't think jet skis can protect him from Russian prostitutes.
https://www.newsweek.com/secret-serv...family-1459477
Old 09-16-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
The Secret Service wants jet skis so they can protect the Trumps because "The First Family is very active in water sports." Yes, they actually said that.
So Trump admits he sometimes hits one into a water hazard, eh?

Last edited by El_Kabong; 09-16-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
You couldn't make that shit up .

Last edited by EinsteinsHund; 09-16-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
"Here at Mar-a-Lago, all of our showers are golden! The most beautiful golden showers you've ever seen, believe me!"
Old 09-16-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
For all we know, they’re talking about Tiffany.