Old 05-26-2012, 10:03 PM

Spoilers and The Game of Thrones

Oh my god with the fucking spoilers already!!! I do not fucking get what the big fucking deal is with The Game of Thrones and these fucking viewers who have this incessant need to be virginal in all the show entails. How did it become OMG The Show that is the Most Important Show in the History of Shows and You Just Don't Understand!!!!11

A description of what is in the fucking spoiler box so you can gauge what the percentage of spoilerage might be?? So you can decide that you don't mind being 43% spoiled, but 71% is way too much? Here's an idea: DON'T CLICK ON THE FUCKING SPOILER BOX IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE FUCKING SPOILED!

I don't know why this has put me over the edge, but I want to run screaming into the GoT threads and yell out, "Tywin Lannister is really Arya's father and she kills him in book five!!!!"*

Just enjoy it for what it is, and if you find out something before it happens on-screen, then find something else about the show to enjoy. There are currently about 20 story lines going on in Game of Thrones, and I can't believe the entire fucking world has ended just because someone spoiled the fact that Renly gets murdered**. Big fucking deal. And if I just spoiled that for you, put on your big girl pants (some bigger than others) and shut your whiny, bitchy pie hole.

(*I have no idea if that's true.)

(**I'm only on the second book right now, so I spoiled myself by watching the show before reading it in the books. O noes, how will I ever be able to continue reading??)

Last edited by coolbyrne; 05-26-2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: clearly didn't have enough fucking in the rant
Old 05-26-2012, 11:17 PM

I am disappointed. I verified that this was the Pit in case you were one of those spoiler virgins but it turned out that I agreed with everything you said. Except, of course, anything you said that was specific to "The Game of Thrones" because I feel that fantasy destroyed the SF/Fantasy section of the book store and anyway I'm a guy so I don't read fiction even though George Rail Road Martin supposedly still uses Wordstar, but none of that is Pitworthy.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:38 PM

Hey if you're only in book 2 then put it down right now and find something else to read. Those have to be the shittiest books I've ever read. I stopped midway through book 3 because I got tired of the latest "bet-you-didn't-see-this-one-coming" plot twist.

Also, how can there be spoilers when every fucking character that's the tiniest bit interesting gets wasted? What does it take? Maybe 2-3 iterations of this formula before the average reader catches on?
Old 05-27-2012, 12:14 AM

You do realize that the ATMB thread was just bitching about the proper use of spoiler boxes in general, and not about GoT spoilers, right?

Or were you just looking for an excuse, however weak, to bitch about something that's already been bitched about to death?

Last edited by voltaire; 05-27-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltaire View Post
You do realize that the ATMB thread was just bitching about the proper use of spoiler boxes in general, and not about GoT spoilers, right?
Regardless, it's a dumb, whiny thread. It's like Dex said in the thread:
Quote:
If there's a spoiler box with no guidance in a thread about a TV show/movie, then someone who doesn't want to see spoilers SHOULDN'T OPEN THE BOX. And probably shouldn't be reading the thread. Spoilering is a two-way street. We'd like posters to be sensitive to the desires of some readers not to have stuff spoiled, and we'd like readers who don't want to see spoilers to take some responsibity for avoiding likely spoiler scenarios.
I'm not sure adding vague descriptions to the spoiler boxes is going to help much. Some people are just going to click no matter what, and then those people are going to get upset at the poster, not at their own damn selves for clicking. Watch:

The following is a really big spoiler for Game of Thrones.
SPOILER:
I'm absolutely not kidding.
SPOILER:
Final warning, this is not a joke. Do not click if you want your GoT experience unspoiled.
SPOILER:
Lord Frey kills Robb Stark and Lady Catelyn at Robb's wedding. Also, Jon Snow is probably not Ned's son, but his nephew via Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryean, which would make Jon a Targaryean. Probably. Maybe this part isn't a spoiler, since it's conjecture... but it's pretty solid conjecture.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic78 View Post
Regardless, it's a dumb, whiny thread. It's like Dex said in the thread:
In principle, I don't disagree, specially with what Dex said in that thread.

But like I said, that thread had little to nothing to do with GoT, and I'm pretty sure the OP of that thread has been bitching about the same thing since before the GoT series was even a twinkle in HBO's eye.

And this thread tries to make it all about GoT.

So, if that thread was dumb and whiny, then this thread is dumb, whiny, redundant, and an extremely fucking lame excuse to engage in RO.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:31 AM

Quote:
So, if that thread was dumb and whiny, then this thread is dumb, whiny, redundant, and an extremely fucking lame excuse to engage in RO.
So threads should only be started if you think they are valid?
Old 05-27-2012, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainJain View Post
So threads should only be started if you think they are valid?
Go to sleep, you're starting to hallucinate.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Go to sleep, you're starting to hallucinate.
No, I can read. He's a member/poster with a bitch about the board. It's not RO, it actually bothers him. Tell me, where should he have put this thread?
Old 05-27-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
In principle, I don't disagree, specially with what Dex said in that thread.

But like I said, that thread had little to nothing to do with GoT, and I'm pretty sure the OP of that thread has been bitching about the same thing since before the GoT series was even a twinkle in HBO's eye.

And this thread tries to make it all about GoT.

Despite my inclusion of the "spoiler box needs pre-description so I can decide what percentage of spoiled I want to be", this rant has nothing to do with the thread in ATMB. Currently, this rant IS about GoT because to me, the issue of what is a spoiler, what needs to be spoilered, and how much is spoilering has risen to such a ridiculous degree that commenting about previews becomes a debate for the ages. I have yet to see another show that has brought it to this level. (Yes, I'm sure now I'll have people come back to tell me how I should have been here for This Show or That Movie. That's great, but I'm talking about this specific show right now.)

Oh noes, I didn't create a thread that didn't meet your angry-worthy criteria! That's gotta be 97% of the threads in this folder.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:59 AM

What the GoT whiners really need is a smack upside their stupid little heads. Openly discussing a piece of fiction that is more than a decade old is not a spoiler. If you don't want to risk knowing what might have happened in an old book, then stay the fuck away from life, let alone a message board thread discussing said book.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:44 PM

In the next installment, Jesus arrives. Things get complicated.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:19 PM

I saw someone (not sure in which thread) get rebuked because they didn't spoiler their speculation on what might happen next. Speculation isn't a spoiler, you whiny fucks!
Old 05-27-2012, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
And no spoilers, but let's just say he ends up having a pretty bad day!
Old 05-27-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelellogram View Post
I saw someone (not sure in which thread) get rebuked because they didn't spoiler their speculation on what might happen next. Speculation isn't a spoiler, you whiny fucks!
Something else that's not a spoiler is explaining something to viewers who don't pay close attention, or answering a background question using info from the books.

On another board, the moderator has barred all readers from a thread, for fear of spoilage. People in that thread are asking questions about characters' histories that could be answered without spoiling anything. It would add to their enjoyment of the show, but responding is forbidden.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akennett View Post
What the GoT whiners really need is a smack upside their stupid little heads. Openly discussing a piece of fiction that is more than a decade old is not a spoiler. If you don't want to risk knowing what might have happened in an old book, then stay the fuck away from life, let alone a message board thread discussing said book.
What a totally non-empathetic attitude this is. Who cares if it's over a decade old? The TV show is new, and plenty of people watching it haven't read the book. The thing about spoilers is that it's not your place to decide for someone else what is or is not going to interfere with their enjoyment, or what they should or should not already be familiar with.

Now, there are obviously legitimate and intricate disagreements about precise details of how spoiler boxes should be used, and I'm sure there are people who are jerks about it (after all, there are people who are jerks about everything), but what you seem to be saying is that if you go into a random thread about, I dunno, dogs, and just randomly toss out, with no warning whatsoever, massive plot details from A Storm of Swords, and someone who did not read the books but is currently watching the show happens upon them and feels like the upcoming season has been in some way spoiled, that you did nothing wrong and they're just being a whiny bitch? Because that's what it sounds like you're saying.

You should ALWAYS err on the side of caution when it comes to spoilers, because it's just common courtesy and human decency to do so.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:30 PM

Meh.

You go into some completely random dog thread and start talking about the series for no reason? Then you're being stupid and likely a dick.

You go to a midnight release party for a book just to be first in line so you can flip to the back and yell out that Snape kills Dumbledore? Then you're a dick, no two ways about it.

You are in a discussion of a years-old story and talk about that story? Nothing wrong there.

The onus is on the person who thinks that their enjoyment of the story will be ruined if they learn anything about it to stay away from places where that information may crop up. I mean, fuck, if it's the other way around, then we should still be spoiler-boxing the fact that Ned stark gets beheaded at the end of the first book -- after all, someone may be planning to wait until all seasons are released to watch them all together.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
You are in a discussion of a years-old story and talk about that story? Nothing wrong there
In what context? The fact that the immensely popular TV show is going on right now makes it a kind of a special case. It's precisely because it's such a special case that there are so many different threads about the TV episodes, each with their own spoiler policies.

Quote:
The onus is on the person who thinks that their enjoyment of the story will be ruined if they learn anything about it to stay away from places where that information may crop up.
Except that of course it's never that cut and dried, is it? For every clear example of "boy that person was an idiot to read a thread with that extremely clear title" or "wow that was obviously a jerkish spoiler" there are plenty of examples where it's for some reason ambiguous or arguable. Which is why the absolute cardinal rule should be to be polite and respectful and courteous and err on the side of boxing. The extra 5 seconds it takes you to put something in a spoiler box and give a meaningful comment as to why it's spoiled is just something that as a member of a community you should do.

Another interesting conversation along these lines we had a while ago concerned the spoiling of a big twist at the end of a very well known movie that came out 15 odd years ago. Sure, it came out 15 years ago.... which means that everyone's already seen it, right? Of course not. There are people who randomly didn't see it for whatever reason, and of course there are people who were 2 when it came out, are 17 now, and are just in the perfect target audience to see it for the first time. Does that mean that in a thread entitled "complicated question about (name of movie here)" there should be an entire conversation in spoiler boxes on all sides in case someone who hasn't seen that movie decides to go into a thread with a title like that? Probably not. What it does mean is that the twist in that movie is NOT someting that is automatically just KNOWN by everyone as part of our shared cultural heritage, and it's quite presumptuous to assume that it is.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:14 PM

Quote:

You are in a discussion of a years-old story and talk about that story? Nothing wrong there.
You're being weasely by saying it's a "discussion of a years-old story" - if the discussion were simply about game of thrones in general with the assumption that everyone had read all the books, that'd be true.

But the threads in question here are specifically about a TV show which is just now airing for the first time. There are lots of people who are only experiencing the story at the pace that the new medium is taking them. Why are you all so fucking butthurt if we have a place to discuss the show?

That's the key element in all of this. No one is asking anyone else not to discuss the whole story - there are threads in which spoilers are open and welcomed, for people who know the whole story to discuss it. There's a very active spoiler thread discussing the TV show. So why the fuck do you all have a hardon for crushing the non-spoiler discussion? How is it hurting you?

Going to a discussion which we all agreed would be the place to go to discuss the show without spoilers for the rest of the story, and then dropping spoilers, is closer to going to the Harry Potter release and yelling SNAPE KILLED DUMBLEDORE! than how you're trying to paint it.

I will point out that the current method has been very successful. Before we split it up this way, the discussion was an absolute trainwreck - and almost entirely due to the assholes who had the attitude of "I'll decide what you should know and what you shouldn't, and if you aren't happy with that, well fuck you, you little snowflake". Threadshitting abounded.

There's nothing on these boards that gets people to so consistently act like petulant children than the issue of spoilers. Some people seem to take more offense at the idea of people asking not to be spoiled than they would to having their own mothers raped.

Quote:
The onus is on the person who thinks that their enjoyment of the story will be ruined if they learn anything about it to stay away from places where that information may crop up.
Or, you know, create a discussion with likeminded people who have the same intent and ask anyone else not to come shit in our punchbowl. Which is what happened. Which has worked for the most part.

No one can ever fucking point out to me why "never discuss this thing you're interested in with anyone else, and avoid all possible sources of information about it" is superior to "find likeminded people who are experiencing it at the same pace you are and discuss it with them"

Yet it's repeated over and over as if it were some self evident truth.

Quote:
I mean, fuck, if it's the other way around, then we should still be spoiler-boxing the fact that Ned stark gets beheaded at the end of the first book -- after all, someone may be planning to wait until all seasons are released to watch them all together.
Why would a person who hadn't watched an episode of the series be reading the threads about episodes in season 2? It's not a spoiler to discuss what happened in season 1 in a season 2 thread. But there are instances where what you just said could be a spoiler - like if you were talking about another show's thread and said "when this character died, it was like when Ned in GOT got his head chopped off" - it would indeed justify being spoiler boxed in that instance.

By the way, I almost entirely ignored this thread because I suspect one of the petulant assholes would deliberately spoil the show and yell HAHA THIS IS THE PIT, ROBB RAPES EVERYBODY or whatever major spoiler. Please don't do that. Unambiguous dick move.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 05-27-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:26 PM

By the way, just so's you know, Robb doesn't rape everybody. He's shitting you about that part.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
By the way, I almost entirely ignored this thread because I suspect one of the petulant assholes would deliberately spoil the show and yell HAHA THIS IS THE PIT, ROBB RAPES EVERYBODY or whatever major spoiler. Please don't do that. Unambiguous dick move.
And yet that did not happen. You're so paranoid about spoilers, you're now to the point where you're protesting about things that didn't happen. You're such a whiny ass titty baby, you make the "Leave Britney Aloooooone" guy look like John Wayne.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
I just LOL'd. Thank you.

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old 05-27-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
And yet that did not happen. You're so paranoid about spoilers, you're now to the point where you're protesting about things that didn't happen. You're such a whiny ass titty baby, you make the "Leave Britney Aloooooone" guy look like John Wayne.
I like how you're saying essentially "no, we wouldn't be assholes like that!" while being an asshole.

The thread is young yet, plenty of chance for someone to do that. And it would be a dick move. And not at all unlikely.

I also do wonder how I'm labelled as "whiny". Specifically, what behavior have I exhibited that's whiny? Is just wanting to not be spoiled inherently whiney? Have I been whining about stuff in the threads?

In fact you'll find that once the show started airing, I didn't even speak to the issues of spoilers and moderation - except once, in last week's thread, when someone pretty unambiguously dropped a spoiler.

I would go so far as to say that the people who bitch endlessly about the existance of the non-spoiler discussion when they could otherwise participate in the spoiler discussion to their heart's content are whiny.

In fact, if you look at the clusterfuck threads from last year, you'll notice there's a whole lot more whining from people like you, along with deliberate threadshitting, than there was from the anti-spoiler side. You were petulant - the idea that that there were people who wanted not to be spoiled was so aggravating to you that you decided to try to throw a tantrum and wreck the threads so nothing good would come out of the discussions. You guys all acted like spoiled 6 year olds.

After we came up with a solution last year that worked well, I tried to lead the charge to make sure that we'd keep the solution through this year. There was hostility at first, but once the show started, things settled in and it worked. And it was successful - the level of discourse in the threads towards the end of last year continuing into this year was much higher, mostly because petulant, childish bitches like yourself were finally silenced. In both threads, that is. It was a win for both the spoiler and non-spoiler crowds. You've always been the problem.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:22 PM

Also, as to the OP, this is a stupid thing for a pit thread. When people just make an entire post in a spoiler box, without any context or explanation, that's annoying. That doesn't pertain specifically to GOT.

You often don't even know what the hell the spoiler box pertains to. Sometimes people will post in a thread about one show and then drop a big spoiler that no one could possibly predict about another show. Spoiler boxes aren't completely random mystery boxes - you should at least have some vague idea of what they contain.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:31 PM
BANNED

If you honestly think there's nothing whiny about, "I want it THIS way in this thread, and THIS way in this thread, and if you guys don't do it you're mean and YOU'RE the babies always whining not me and you MIGHT spoil me in this thread so you're a MEANIE DICK in advance" then you have your head farther up your vagina than I thought possible.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:45 PM
BANNED

I will NEVER understand how learning a particular detail about a part of a story or show you have not yet experienced somehow ruins the whole thing. I've had many movies or stories "spoiled" for me, and it didn't make the movie or show any less enjoyable for me.

It's not about the destination guys, it's about the journey. Lighten up a bit!
Old 05-27-2012, 11:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtwo99 View Post
It's not about the destination guys, it's about the journey. Lighten up a bit!
That is the point. The journey is about discovering every detail in the order that the author has decided to reveal them in the way that the author has decided to reveal them. Stories are written in a specific way for a specific purpose and enjoying a work properly means experiencing in the way that the author intended.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:11 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
And no spoilers, but let's just say he ends up having a pretty bad day!
But things get better after a couple of days.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
That is the point. The journey is about discovering every detail in the order that the author has decided to reveal them in the way that the author has decided to reveal them. Stories are written in a specific way for a specific purpose and enjoying a work properly means experiencing in the way that the author intended.
The journey is getting from point A (beginning) to point B (end). If you know what happens at point B, but not from how A got to point B, how does that ruin anything? It doesn't for me.

That being said, people should be respectful that spoilers ARE generally hated by a lot of people, so I'm not going to go around and spoil things for others. I'm just saying I won't ever understand it.

Quote:
If you honestly think there's nothing whiny about, "I want it THIS way in this thread, and THIS way in this thread, and if you guys don't do it you're mean and YOU'RE the babies always whining not me and you MIGHT spoil me in this thread so you're a MEANIE DICK in advance" then you have your head farther up your vagina than I thought possible.
I created one thread - a spoiler free thread to discuss the TV show as its own entity. The other threads that formed were not my responsibility.

And it would be a dick move if someone were to post major spoilers openly in this thread just to try to piss off random people because they feel like they have the freedom to do so in the pit. I'm not sure how that's a point of contention. And it struck me as likely, because you guys are quite frankly assholes [edit: when I say "you guys", I don't mean everyone involved in this thread or the spoiler/non-spoiler issue. I mean assholes who deliberately tried to threadshit and wreck threads when they weren't getting their way like quicotic78 and digitalc]. And if it starts to go in that direction, that will explain my non-participation in this thread. I just asked that people not do that.

But no, you're really proving here that you're the mature adult and I'm the petulant child. Good work. Keep it up.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 05-28-2012 at 12:21 AM.
Dismember

Quote:
I will NEVER understand how learning a particular detail about a part of a story or show you have not yet experienced somehow ruins the whole thing.
Congratulations! You are officially NOT a giant douche.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatterpunk View Post
Congratulations! You are officially NOT a giant douche.
Can't tell whether or not you're being sarcastic, but for the record, even though I don't see spoilers as a problem, I do recognize they are for others and generally make a point never to discuss anything that could be regarded as a spoiler.

So, I won't understand it, and I think other people should lighten up about it, but I still respect it and won't shit all over them by spoiling a story or a show or a movie.

In fact, I rarely talk or post about these kinds of pop culture things at all, so I am confident in being able to say that I've never spoiled anything for anyone, ever.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:26 AM
Charter Member

I generally read all the spoilers I can get my hands on, but come on, it's easy to understand why many people don't like them. Sometimes, it's fun to be surprised. Movies and T.V. shows in particular tend to do everything they can to heighten the drama of these moments. If you already know about the surprise, you can't be surprised by it in the moment as it unfolds in the show. This takes away some of the fun.

Does it ruin the whole thing? No, not unless that one surprise is the only enjoyable moment of the whole show. But certainly, it takes away from the enjoyment of that moment.

How can anyone possibly not understand this?
Old 05-28-2012, 02:35 AM

SPOILER:
Everybody Dies, motherfuckers!!!

I just hope Cersei dies in a somewhat entertaining way. Never liked her.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:38 AM

There is only one possible solution here: make Game of Thrones a verboten topic, and any mention of it anywhere on the SDMB results in instant banning

of course by that logic I'd be banned for making this post so carry on
Old 05-28-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly ripe tomato View Post
There is only one possible solution here: make Game of Thrones a verboten topic, and any mention of it anywhere on the SDMB results in instant banning

of course by that logic I'd be banned for making this post so carry on
Shhh! Someone will take you seriously.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
And it struck me as likely, because you guys are quite frankly assholes [edit: when I say "you guys", I don't mean everyone involved in this thread or the spoiler/non-spoiler issue. I mean assholes who deliberately tried to threadshit and wreck threads when they weren't getting their way like quicotic78 and digitalc].
Really? Qualifications to narrow the field of assholes? I thought being at least a bit of an asshole was a requirement at the SDMB, led as we are by that snarky asshole, Cecil Adams.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I will NEVER understand how learning a particular detail about a part of a story or show you have not yet experienced somehow ruins the whole thing.
False dichotomy. It's rare that it "ruins the whole thing", but it can certainly decrease the overall enjoyment. If someone seeing The Empire Strikes Back for the first time is told
SPOILER:
Darth Vader is Luke's father
ahead of time, then a truly epic moment will be diminished for them. And I'm pretty sure that 99.9% of humanity instantly understands that point. Do you really not get it at all?
Old 05-28-2012, 12:34 PM

I find it much safer to only post in those threads through my lawyer. I send him my comments, and then he edits them to makes sure they will not lead to my incarceration at a later date.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:09 PM

It appears we may be on the verge of an inexplicable and rather potentially harsh re-evaluation of the GOT spoilers issue - just when things were settling in and working very well - and I don't want to be on the wrong end of it, so I'm going to check out of this thread. Unsubscribing and won't be posting anymore.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:02 AM

SenorBeef, if you're that hyper sensitive over being spoiled, then perhaps you should just NOT GO INTO A FUCKING THREAD. O NOES I LEARNED THAT SO AND SO WILL BE WEARING A RED DRESS IN THE NEXT EPISODE IT IS RUINED FOR ME YOU BASTARDS!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelellogram View Post
Think that's bad? I saw someone say, after seeing a preview, "And next week -- wow!" And someone insisted THAT was a spoiler. WTF???

I can understand telling someone the complete twist ending (Snape is Luke's father, Darth Vader kills Dumbledore), but some people get so caught up over each and every little detail that it seems almost useless to discuss any part of a book or movie or tv show around here. If you're that concerned to where someone saying, "it looks like the next episode is gonna be a HUGE deal," then perhaps you should stay out of these discussions.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Think that's bad? I saw someone say, after seeing a preview, "And next week -- wow!" And someone insisted THAT was a spoiler. WTF???
There are some TV show threads (24 was this way, Lost was not) in which things from "next week on" are considered spoilers. In a thread of that sort, if someone posted "and next week - wow", it seems reasonable to respond by reminding them of the rules of the thread. Not so much because "oh, your comment has ruined my enjoyment of next week's show no matter what, now I will rend my flesh in woe" but just to make sure that everyone remembers what the rules are.

And while that comment is certainly fairly low on the spoiler scale, it is something that I would prefer not to read (I _hate_ comments about next week on). Doesn't mean that I get to make all the rules for all SDMB threads, but if enough people agree and that policy is formalized for a particular show, you should respect it. And that policy would clearly never have existed for any shows at all if a reasonable number of people didn't support it.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:11 PM

So anyway, I'm back. There was a specific reason I had to make my last post about leaving the thread, but it's resolved. Come at me bros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
SenorBeef, if you're that hyper sensitive over being spoiled, then perhaps you should just NOT GO INTO A FUCKING THREAD. O NOES I LEARNED THAT SO AND SO WILL BE WEARING A RED DRESS IN THE NEXT EPISODE IT IS RUINED FOR ME YOU BASTARDS!!!!
As stated up thread, why is telling people just never to discuss the show with anyone superior to having a discussion where people who watch the show can discuss things without being spoiled?

I'm not hypersensitive to spoilers really, but the problem is... if we allow judgements as to what constitutes a spoiler, there will be errors in judgement. Some people may think it's safe to reveal something because the show advanced past something in the story and therefore it won't be covered and could be background information, but then it turns out oh wait, the show covered it in a slightly different order than the books, so now it goes back to being a spoiler. Some people think telling others that a particular character will die isn't a spoiler. There are all sorts of borderline cases.

The simplest implementation by far is just to say - in certain threads, we'll discuss the TV show with no outside knowledge at all. No judgement calls on what is or isn't a spoiler, no guesses as to what the show will reveal, just.... discuss the TV show as its own work. It's the easiest way to handle things.

And I've been at the forefront of that simply because someone has to lead the charge for shit like that to get done. We found a good solution at the end of last year and I wanted to avoid the massive clusterfuck when we started over again this year. Mission accomplished, the threads have been very successful with pretty much no drama.

Quote:
I've asked people to spoiler box that shit in the past because those things are fucking horrible. They're not written by the show creators to give you hints that they find acceptable where the story is going - they're written by a marketing team who can reveal the entire episode if they think it'll get viewers. If I know I'm going to watch the episode next week, why do I need to be teased into it? I don't want to see the shit that some marketing asshat thought would shock the most viewers and get them to tune in, I want the story as presented by the storyteller. So it's courteous to box those things so that people who avoid them (and I know lots of people who do, not just me) can keep avoiding them.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 05-29-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:32 PM

It's fitting that this thread ultimately led to purging of the person responsible for the majority of the childishness around this issue and the multiple trainwrecks that resulted.

So, while my opinion of the OP stands, I have now gained a new appreciation for it.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anya marie View Post
SPOILER:
Everybody Dies, motherfuckers!!!
Even Dumbledore?

Last edited by FuriousGeorge; 05-29-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's fitting that this thread ultimately led to purging of the person responsible for the majority of the childishness around this issue and the multiple trainwrecks that resulted.

So, while my opinion of the OP stands, I have now gained a new appreciation for it.
Whoa. Quixotic was banned? When did that happen?
Old 05-29-2012, 01:57 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

Modding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Whoa. Quixotic was banned? When did that happen?
Announcement here.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
And it would be a dick move if someone were to post major spoilers openly in this thread just to try to piss off random people because they feel like they have the freedom to do so in the pit.
Not to be all dickish and stuff but I heard that someone in GoT dies.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
Holy shit, thats fucking hilarious! What an idiot.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

It's more sad than hilarious. Consider that he was so offended by the existence of people who wanted to take precautions against spoilers that he descended to fraud.