Old 11-03-2018, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I still don't understand the criticism of my 3S double-jump. It didn't keep them out of game, but it surely had a better chance of doing so than the timid 2S.
I think 3S was reasonable.

Quote:
I try to be aggressive in many situations, but I would pass here. Sure, promote the aces and tens and call this 5 hcp, but you still have to subtract a point for 4-3-3-3 shape. In Acol, a 2-spade raise shows a 9-loser hand. This hand has 11 losers. Eleven with an E!
There are some who play that any hand with an ace is worth a response, especially with 3-card trump support. I am with K364 and would always raise partner with that. I also play 5-card majors, which is a little different from if you play Acol 4-card majors.

Quote:
May we agree that he should certainly have bid 4S when his RHO bid 4C over my 3S?
Yes.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
May we agree that he should certainly have bid 4S when his RHO bid 4C over my 3S?
Absolutely. You are showing six spades for your bid; he has three, so 3 is the safe level even with zero points, but he has an outside ace.

I will also note that you were playing IMPs - Teams - so being 1 or 2 down (undoubled) isn't ordinarily a big deal.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
@ amarone GNU Backgammon will tell me when I make a bad move; does Funbridge attempt that?
I have discovered that Funbridge will tell you if you make a bid that does not match your system. It does not tell you at the time, but after the hand you can see if it flags your bidding as wrong.

I held a 5332 10-count with AQxxx spades and three little hearts. Playing 2/1, partner opened 1H. I bid 1S and then over 2 of a minor, bid 3H. I expected this to be invitational. Partner raised to game on a 12-count, down 1. Afterwards, Funbridge flagged my 3H bid as wrong because it is game forcing and I need 14+ points (which sounds like too many anyway).

I guess in the Funbridge 2/1 I have to ignore my spades and respond 1NT and then bid 3H.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

I had a fun hand last night. I opened 1NT (12-14), partner bid 2C (Stayman) and passed my 2D response. I made all 13 tricks. Partner had 7 diamonds headed by AQJ and I had KT, I had CAQJxx and there was Txx on the table. The lead was a club and RHO went up with the King. So I made 12 tricks in the minors and an outside ace. This scored a bottom as someone else bid 3N and made 7 on the same lead.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarone View Post
I have discovered that Funbridge will tell you if you make a bid that does not match your system. It does not tell you at the time, but after the hand you can see if it flags your bidding as wrong.

I held a 5332 10-count with AQxxx spades and three little hearts. Playing 2/1, partner opened 1H. I bid 1S and then over 2 of a minor, bid 3H. I expected this to be invitational. Partner raised to game on a 12-count, down 1. Afterwards, Funbridge flagged my 3H bid as wrong because it is game forcing and I need 14+ points (which sounds like too many anyway).

I guess in the Funbridge 2/1 I have to ignore my spades and respond 1NT and then bid 3H.
I think Funbridge is wrong. Your 3H call is invitational.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
I had a fun hand last night. I opened 1NT (12-14), partner bid 2C (Stayman) and passed my 2D response. I made all 13 tricks. Partner had 7 diamonds headed by AQJ and I had KT, I had CAQJxx and there was Txx on the table. The lead was a club and RHO went up with the King. So I made 12 tricks in the minors and an outside ace. This scored a bottom as someone else bid 3N and made 7 on the same lead.
Good thing you can see the funny side. For my money your partner chose the wrong time to get creative - what was he planning to do over a positive Stayman response? I've seen players punt 3NT straight off on hands like that, but if he wants to stop why not just pass 1NT?

Also - your opponents had a big double fit in the majors and they got a top for letting you play 2D? That's some serious luck on their part.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick View Post
Good thing you can see the funny side. For my money your partner chose the wrong time to get creative - what was he planning to do over a positive Stayman response? I've seen players punt 3NT straight off on hands like that, but if he wants to stop why not just pass 1NT?
She's an expert player. Not quite national-level. We were playing transfers to the majors only so she would just have repeated the diamonds.

Quote:
Also - your opponents had a big double fit in the majors and they got a top for letting you play 2D? That's some serious luck on their part.
C'est la vie. On another lead I might have gone down in 3N.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K364 View Post
I think Funbridge is wrong. Your 3H call is invitational.

In North America, you are 100% correct. Funbridge apparently plays French 2/1, so I am learning some differences.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

So, you have to bid 2 Coeurs, and partner will try 3 Coeurs with anything slightly better than a minimum just in case you have the invitational hand. Sounds like the old Goren system.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So, you have to bid 2 Coeurs, and partner will try 3 Coeurs with anything slightly better than a minimum just in case you have the invitational hand. Sounds like the old Goren system.
I did play bridge in France once while on vacation. It took a little getting used to the picture cards being RDV instead of KQJ, but we did okay.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Brag alert!

I was playing against the best in the club last night and we came top! Our usual objective in that group is to not come last.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Bidding goes 2C (strong) on your left, and 3C by partner. You play Michaels but using it over a strong 2C has never been discussed.

I have some questions - is this Michaels or just a club suit? Would you make this bid with a Michaels hand considering it might be misinterpreted? How strong do you feel about your answers?
Old 11-14-2018, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Bidding goes 2C (strong) on your left, and 3C by partner. You play Michaels but using it over a strong 2C has never been discussed.
Funnily enough, I have bid 3C over an opening 2C. I had a stonking club suit. But I don't play Michaels.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:

I have some questions - is this Michaels or just a club suit? Would you make this bid with a Michaels hand considering it might be misinterpreted? How strong do you feel about your answers?
Michaels is not on over a conventional bid for me, but I have no strong feelings if that is the superior agreement. If you told me it was playable over strong 2C, precision openng bids etc I'd take your word for it.
Rolling out ambiguous Michaels bids (or any convention) when you've got a natural way to bid your hand is just demonstrably awful, though - I'd expect a consensus opinion on that. Undiscussed just bid 2S and be happy you've bolloxed up their auction if opps are not strong. If they are and can deal with inteference you can prob bid hearts at some point anyhow.

It's a more difficult question when you're certain you've discussed it, but are fairly sure pard's forgotten it
Old 11-15-2018, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

It's clubs and I would never invite disaster by trotting it out with a Michaels hand.

If you want to show two-suiters over 2C (and over a strong 1C), there are conventions. One such is CRASH. The calls of double, 2D and 2NT show, respectively, two suits of the same Color, RAnk and SHape.

You can also play this after 2C - P - 2D, but now the calls are Double, 2NT and 3C.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:52 PM
Charter Member

How to outsmart partner, and get a bottom

My partner held x QJ10xx KQJxx Ax. He opened 1H, LHO doubled and partner bid 4C, splinter, back to him. Now what? We had only played a few times together and he did not know whether my cue-bidding style is to start with aces, or whether any 1st or 2nd round control is fine. If the latter, he could bid 4D. But he worked out he could bid 4NT, RKCB. If I have 3 key cards, he can bid slam; if fewer, the most I can bid (barring voids) is 5H, so we stay out of slam.

But I bid... 5S. I had extra heart length (Kxxxx), and it is generally accepted that you can show the queen in that event as Kxxxx opposite Axxxx (probably with the jack) is high odds to play for no loser. My hand was KQx Kxxxx Axxx x.

So, partner's well thought out bid was foiled by me. In slam missing 2 aces despite using RKCB. This was a joint bottom with one other. The funny thing is that the two A pairs in the field both bid to slam off cashing aces, and all the B and C players avoided it.

Another hand from the same session. You hold xxx J9x AJ10xxx Q9. Partner opens 2C. You bid 2D, which guarantees at least 1 control and is game forcing. Partner bids 2NT, 22+ balanced. Now what?
Old 12-20-2018, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Yup. Your bid showed two aces and the queen, right? Tut tut! Time for, "Sorry partner, I pulled the wrong card from the bidding box."

On your second hand what is the point range of the 2NT rebid? There's got to be a top end, right? If it shows 22-24 points then 3NT is very tempting. If it's open-ended, I rebid 3D. In an ACOL auction after partner opens 2NT (20-22) I bid 3NT; if the auction goes 2C - 2D - 2N showing 23-24 points then I get interested in a slam.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yup. Your bid showed two aces and the queen, right? Tut tut! Time for, "Sorry partner, I pulled the wrong card from the bidding box."
Not at all. Showing the queen when you hold extra length instead is a fairly standard thing to do. See the section Extra Length in this, from your side of the pond (although you can't trust those Lancastrians): http://www.bridgewebs.com/wigan/page7.html

Quote:
On your second hand what is the point range of the 2NT rebid? There's got to be a top end, right?
Nope. 22+. We are in a game force . No need to jump around - let's avail ourselves of all the methds we have over 2NT for finding a major suit fit (not relevant on this hand, but it often is).

Quote:
If it shows 22-24 points then 3NT is very tempting. If it's open-ended, I rebid 3D. In an ACOL auction after partner opens 2NT (20-22) I bid 3NT; if the auction goes 2C - 2D - 2N showing 23-24 points then I get interested in a slam.
3D would be a transfer to hearts. After 2C - 2D - 2NT, we bid just as if we opened 2NT. Our 2NT opener is 20-21, so in this sequence it is 22+
Old 12-20-2018, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

I sympathise with both of you... using Blackwood with only one key card in that sequence would be totally unexpected but the hand has perfect texture and just needs controls.

The second one I bid 3D if it's natural and pass 3NT. If 3 of a major is bid over 3D I then bid 3NT. This implies a mild slam try with a good suit. If Jacoby is on, 3S is used by some to get out with a bust hand with a long minor. If so I just raise to 3NT.

We play Jacoby Transfers with 2S is a relay to 2NT, and responder follows: 3C/3D is the weak hand, and 3H/3S show a good hand with clubs/diamonds respectively. That's over 1NT of course, 2NT is the same idea though.

Last edited by K364; 12-20-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not at all. Showing the queen when you hold extra length instead is a fairly standard thing to do. See the section Extra Length in this, from your side of the pond (although you can't trust those Lancastrians): http://www.bridgewebs.com/wigan/page7.html
I have yet to master the hunt for the Queen but ISTM from that link that you're using a second-round response and not a first-round one.

Quote:
3D would be a transfer to hearts. After 2C - 2D - 2NT, we bid just as if we opened 2NT. Our 2NT opener is 20-21, so in this sequence it is 22+
In that case I'm going to bid 3S as a minor-suit transfer. Partner can either accept the transfer by bidding 4C or reject it by bidding 3NT. If partner accepts the transfer by bidding 4C I correct to 4D and partner can go Blackwood if he wishes or just bid 5D.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:14 AM

I wonder if there's a theoretical solution for that, e.g. don't count heart length as a 'Queen' unless you also hold AH.

Quote:
... You hold xxx J9x AJ10xxx Q9. ... Now what?
I call the director. This reminds me of a slightly amusing story. On the U.C. Berkeley campus there is a coffee-shop where good players once played bridge often e.g. Mike Lawrence, Kyle Larsen, Lew Stansby. I was kibitzing a game there one day when the auction went crazy. Two of the players opponents bid all the way up to the seven-level, changing suits, while the other two players passed in confusion. When the auction was over the two bidders tabled their hands face up one had 14 cards, the other 12.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I call the director.
Hahaha! I totally missed that.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have yet to master the hunt for the Queen but ISTM from that link that you're using a second-round response and not a first-round one.
That is true, but when you have 2 keycards you don't get a second chance. Either you show the queen at the first attempt or you never show it. Another source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackwood_convention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The 5♥ and 5♠ replies with 2 or 5 key cards also deny and show the trump queen, respectively. (Responder may also show the queen with extra length in trumps, where the ace and king will probably draw all outstanding cards in the suit.)
I do wonder, though, whether this approach should always be taken when hearts are trumps because of the problem of a 5S response. There again, I thought I had a very good hand on the bidding so far.

Quote:
In that case I'm going to bid 3S as a minor-suit transfer. Partner can either accept the transfer by bidding 4C or reject it by bidding 3NT. If partner accepts the transfer by bidding 4C I correct to 4D and partner can go Blackwood if he wishes or just bid 5D.
Do you play 3S as an unspecified minor suit? How does partner know whether to accept when holding one good and one bad minor suit?

Last edited by amarone; 12-21-2018 at 06:24 AM.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I sympathise with both of you... using Blackwood with only one key card in that sequence would be totally unexpected but the hand has perfect texture and just needs controls.

The second one I bid 3D if it's natural and pass 3NT. If 3 of a major is bid over 3D I then bid 3NT. This implies a mild slam try with a good suit. If Jacoby is on, 3S is used by some to get out with a bust hand with a long minor. If so I just raise to 3NT.

We play Jacoby Transfers with 2S is a relay to 2NT, and responder follows: 3C/3D is the weak hand, and 3H/3S show a good hand with clubs/diamonds respectively. That's over 1NT of course, 2NT is the same idea though.
I don't think it is worth having the ability to stop in 4 of a minor when partner has 22+ points. I'd rather use those bids for investigating slam options. If you have a bust, just take your lumps in 2NT.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I wonder if there's a theoretical solution for that, e.g. don't count heart length as a 'Queen' unless you also hold AH.
But what if partner was A Axxxx KQJx xxx? Now we have just missed a great slam if I don't show QH.

Quote:
I call the director.
Funnily enough, I noticed the 14 cards when I typed the hand, but then managed to edit it without fixing the problem. It was J9 hearts.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Do you play 3S as an unspecified minor suit?
Yes.

Quote:
How does partner know whether to accept when holding one good and one bad minor suit?
It's never occurred - it's highly unlikely - but in that case we can refuse and bid 3N. Partner can pull to her minor.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But what if partner was A Axxxx KQJx xxx? Now we have just missed a great slam if I don't show QH.
Really? Bid 5H showing 2 key cards. Partner then bids 5S asking for QH, so you deny by bidding 6H. Yes, you might miss the grand slam, but Sod's Law says that one opponent will have QJx and you will go down in 7. If you're playing Duplicate, remember that on average it's better to go for the 60% score of 6H possibly making +1 than the 100% score of 7H which might go down and score you 0%.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Really? Bid 5H showing 2 key cards. Partner then bids 5S asking for QH, so you deny by bidding 6H. Yes, you might miss the grand slam, but Sod's Law says that one opponent will have QJx and you will go down in 7. If you're playing Duplicate, remember that on average it's better to go for the 60% score of 6H possibly making +1 than the 100% score of 7H which might go down and score you 0%.
5S does not ask for QH because the 5H response has denied it. And even if 5S did ask for QH, it forces you to slam anyway, so a 6H response would mean "no, I still don't have it, so let's go down in 6H". Note that there is an ace missing on this hand in addition to QH.

I have made many posts in this thread about not bidding a grand at matchpoints unless you can count to 13 tricks, for exactly the reasons you give.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes.

It's never occurred - it's highly unlikely - but in that case we can refuse and bid 3N. Partner can pull to her minor.
A suggestion: mandate a 3NT response to 3S. Responder now clarifies as follows:

4C = clubs
4D = diamonds
4H = minor 2-suiter, short hearts
4S = minor 2-suiter, short spades

4C/D are forcing, and are slam tries. You mentioned in a post about opener being able to bid 4NT as key-card after responder has shown a long minor. I disagree with this approach, especially playing matchpoints; you need to be able to get back to NT. 4NT should be "not interested, let's play here". If you want to make a slam try, cue bid first, then 4NT, probably by responder, can be key-card.

If you have no way to get back to playing in NT, you might as well abandon any means of showing the long minor. Just bid 6D over 2NT. It might go down, but 6D -1 will usually get you exactly the same number of matchpoints as 5D making. Zero.

On this actual hand, which I will post separately, 6D does make, but even though only one pair bid it, playing 5D+1 would have got you a zero. Everyone else was in NT.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

I was interested to see if people were going to make a slam try, and if so how they would go about it in a minor opposite a 2NT bid. Opener had AKx AKx Qx AKxxx. Reminder, responder was xxx J9 AJ10xxx Q9.

My partner did not know what to do opposite 2NT. We had not discussed any way of handling the minors. He just bid 3NT. I think 4NT would have been a reasonable shot. The hand made 7 when KD was onside and the suit 3-2.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
5S does not ask for QH because the 5H response has denied it. And even if 5S did ask for QH, it forces you to slam anyway, so a 6H response would mean "no, I still don't have it, so let's go down in 6H". Note that there is an ace missing on this hand in addition to QH.
D'oh!

I suck at RKCB.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
A suggestion: mandate a 3NT response to 3S.
That would make it inconsistent with 2S over 1N and we don't play sufficiently frequently. As I said, the situation has yet to occur. Hell, we play the Unusual 2NT and partner forgot it. So there were opponents having bid 1H - 1S and me 6-5 in the minors so I bid 2N and she looks completely blank.

Still, errare humanum est. Still, my partner and I bollixed another slam. Partner opens an Acol 2C and I'm sitting with 14 HCP. I bid 2S - positive response in spades - and partner rebids 4N. He meant it as Blackwood; I took it as quantative, so I bid 6N. We've discussed this upthread and I was very wrong. Partner bid 7S and I pulled to 7N. We were missing the ace of clubs. The grand made on any lead other than a club. A club was led. We were playing teams and the other team also bid 7N for a flat board.
Old 12-22-2018, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That would make it inconsistent with 2S over 1N and we don't play sufficiently frequently. As I said, the situation has yet to occur. Hell, we play the Unusual 2NT and partner forgot it. So there were opponents having bid 1H - 1S and me 6-5 in the minors so I bid 2N and she looks completely blank.
Yeah - no point in getting fancy in an occasional partnership.

Quote:
Still, errare humanum est. Still, my partner and I bollixed another slam. Partner opens an Acol 2C and I'm sitting with 14 HCP. I bid 2S - positive response in spades - and partner rebids 4N. He meant it as Blackwood; I took it as quantative
As would I, with a regular partner, but with an infrequent partner I assume RKCB. My "rule" is that if we had the chance to agree the trump suit in a forcing auction (in this case, 2C - 2S - 3S would do it) and didn't, then 4NT = quantitative.

Quote:
Partner bid 7S and I pulled to 7N. We were missing the ace of clubs. The grand made on any lead other than a club. A club was led. We were playing teams and the other team also bid 7N for a flat board.
A recent national champsionship pairs event in the US also featured one pair who bid 7NT missing an ace. Just as in your case, one player pulled 7S to 7NT. The player with the missing ace was not on lead, but hesitated before passing 7NT. His partner led the correct suit, from a holding of KJxxx. The pair in 7NT called the director stating that the hesitation suggested a lead of that suit (7NT makes on any other lead). The director denied their claim but they appealed and their appeal was successful. They were awarded 7NT making, and this moved them from second place to first.

The hand that bid 7S had used RKCB despite having a void diamond. Earlier in the auction, he had cue bid diamonds. His LHO doubled and his partner passed. In that situation, a pass denies first round control (he would redouble with it) and so he was able to bid RKCB despite holding a void. His partner missed that possibility and when 7S came round to him, assumed they must have all the aces and bid 7NT.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Here's a disaster that could have been an epic victory. I opened a weak 2H and was doubled. I went down for -800. But the other side had a cold 7NT. Unfortunately we were playing teams and our teammates only bid to 3N, making +4.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:58 AM

Still, hard to think of a better demonstration of the utility of a weak 2 opener - without that, you would almost certainly not have achieved such a good sacrifice (which it still was - just - even with the team result, and assuming you weren't vulnerable, right?).
Old 01-09-2019, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Cat View Post
Still, hard to think of a better demonstration of the utility of a weak 2 opener - without that, you would almost certainly not have achieved such a good sacrifice (which it still was - just - even with the team result, and assuming you weren't vulnerable, right?).
It doesn't matter; 3N +4 only scores 510 or 710 for a net negative.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

Playing matchpoints, I picked up K AKQJ87 KQJ10 AK. This is the first hand I have had in 42 years playing bridge that merits a 4NT opener. This asks partner to respond specific aces, i.e. 5C = 0 aces, 5D/H/S = ace of D/H/S respectively. 5NT = ? 6C = ? One of them means "two aces", the other means "ace of clubs". But which? Quite a few years ago English internationals Forrester/Lodge had a disaster over a disagreement on this.

Given that I did not know whether partner would understand a 4NT opening bid (she confirmed she would take it as straight Blackwood), and I would not understand a response of 5NT or 6C, I played safe with a 2C opening. Partner responded 2S, showing 5+ spades headed by 2 of the top 3 honours or better. Now what? In our system 4NT at this point would NOT be RKCB as we have not agreed a trump suit. I bid 3S to agree spades, then bid 4NT next time, which is now clearly RKCB, and over partner's "one key card" response bid 6NT.

Maybe in another 43 years I will be playing with a partner with whom I have agreed what the 4NT bid and responses mean.

On the hand itself, partner was void in hearts, and they broke 5-2. But the doubleton was the 109, so all was well.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Playing matchpoints, I picked up K AKQJ87 KQJ10 AK.
Wow!

Quote:
This is the first hand I have had in 42 years playing bridge that merits a 4NT opener. This asks partner to respond specific aces, i.e. 5C = 0 aces, 5D/H/S = ace of D/H/S respectively. 5NT = ? 6C = ? One of them means "two aces", the other means "ace of clubs". But which? Quite a few years ago English internationals Forrester/Lodge had a disaster over a disagreement on this.
(Without looking it up) 5N = two aces, 6C = ace of clubs.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

I had a couple of interesting hands this past week.

On Tuesday I picked up S:x H:AKJTxxx D:A C:AKJT. I duly opened 2C. Partner held S:AJxxx H:Qxxx Dx C:xxx and responded 2S. A bit of dickering later we were in 7H which depended upon finding the Queen of Clubs. I led a club from dummy and spurned the finesse. I saw the 9 drop from LHO so crossed to dummy and led another club, again spurning the finesse. The queen dropped!

Last night LHO opened a weak 2H non-vulnerable and partner doubled. I held H:AJT98 D:Kxx and left the double stand. We took them for 800, a clear top, despite there being a cold 3NT our way.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
On Tuesday I picked up S:x H:AKJTxxx D:A C:AKJT. I duly opened 2C. Partner held S:AJxxx H:Qxxx Dx C:xxx and responded 2S. A bit of dickering later we were in 7H which depended upon finding the Queen of Clubs.
Assuming the Qxxx of hearts gives you two heart entries to dummy you have the slight extra chance that one defender holds KQx spades so 2 ruffs establish the spade suit for 2 club discards.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:05 AM
Charter Member

Quite right.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I had a couple of interesting hands this past week.

On Tuesday I picked up S:x H:AKJTxxx D:A C:AKJT. I duly opened 2C. Partner held S:AJxxx H:Qxxx Dx C:xxx and responded 2S. A bit of dickering later we were in 7H which depended upon finding the Queen of Clubs. I led a club from dummy and spurned the finesse. I saw the 9 drop from LHO so crossed to dummy and led another club, again spurning the finesse. The queen dropped!

Last night LHO opened a weak 2H non-vulnerable and partner doubled. I held H:AJT98 D:Kxx and left the double stand. We took them for 800, a clear top, despite there being a cold 3NT our way.
There's a lesson for us all: sitting behind the hand that tests a suit with the A or K, play 9 from 9xx
Old 02-15-2019, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Earlier this week, playing matchpoints, I picked up the strongest hand I have ever held, in terms of playing tricks. A AKQ10xxx AKQJx void. Partly for the fun of it, I opened 7H. If partner has any hearts, it is a great contract. Even if void, it makes when hearts are 3-3 or 4-2 with singleton jack, which is better than 50% (or you get the supposedly safe lead of a trump) as long as diamonds come home.

Double from LHO, all pass. LHO tried to cash AC and partner put down Jxx xx 9xxxx Kxx.

Alas, hearts were 4-0 so down I went. 7D is cold, of course, if declared by partner (2C - 2D will achieve that), but I don't think it is the right contract at matchpoints. 7H outscores 7D a little more than 90% of the time, and surely lots of people will be in 7 on this hand.

Several other people opened 7H, but not all were doubled. One pair got to 7D. Based on the results on the board, getting to 7H will average you a 83.75% score, bidding 7D averages 66%

A side note: par on the hand was 7SX down 2 or 3. Nobody got there.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

What a hand! How can 7H down one give a better score than 7D making?
Old 02-15-2019, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

And how do you get to 7D? Would 2C - 2D - 2H - 2N - 3D - 5D - 7D be a reasonable sequence?
Old 02-15-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Earlier this week, playing matchpoints, I picked up the strongest hand I have ever held, in terms of playing tricks. A AKQ10xxx AKQJx void. ...
Back in the 1960's I was an undergraduate and the Tuesday(?) U.C. Berkeley game was my first duplicate. Once or twice a fellow student and I kibitzed or helped director, stacked a hand (with a famous misfit from a book), and passed it out ("We're running late; these cards have already been shuffled").

Are you sure something like that didn't happen here?
Old 02-15-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Earlier this week, playing matchpoints, I picked up the strongest hand I have ever held, in terms of playing tricks. A AKQ10xxx AKQJx void. Partly for the fun of it, I opened 7H. If partner has any hearts, it is a great contract. Even if void, it makes when hearts are 3-3 or 4-2 with singleton jack, which is better than 50% (or you get the supposedly safe lead of a trump) as long as diamonds come home.

Double from LHO, all pass. LHO tried to cash AC and partner put down Jxx xx 9xxxx Kxx.

Alas, hearts were 4-0 so down I went. 7D is cold, of course, if declared by partner (2C - 2D will achieve that), but I don't think it is the right contract at matchpoints. 7H outscores 7D a little more than 90% of the time, and surely lots of people will be in 7 on this hand.

Several other people opened 7H, but not all were doubled. One pair got to 7D. Based on the results on the board, getting to 7H will average you a 83.75% score, bidding 7D averages 66%

A side note: par on the hand was 7SX down 2 or 3. Nobody got there.
Some hand -Did you get that in real life or online?

A couple of years back in the UK an elderly woman dropped dead at the bridge table after picking up a 29 hcp hand. Way to go out.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ning-hand.html
Old 02-15-2019, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Are you sure something like that didn't happen here?
I'm guessing that it was a goulash. It's standard practice here that if a hand is passed out the first time its played it gets re-dealt as a goulash.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
I'm guessing that it was a goulash. It's standard practice here that if a hand is passed out the first time its played it gets re-dealt as a goulash.
Remind me how a ghoulie goes, and maybe there are regional differences?

It's been years since I've played social bridge like this, but I remember taking a passed-out deal, stacking all four sorted hands together, shuffling exactly N times (was N = 1, 2, or 3? -- I seem to remember it was 2, as it was more than 1, and probably not as many as 3?), then dealing out the hands again, but three cards at a time per player (or was it FOUR cards at a time?).
Old 02-15-2019, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Goulie assumes that the hands are sorted into suits. The four hands are stacked together and cut. Then dealt three, three, three, four cards at a time. There are variants to this.