Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #4151  
Old 04-13-2018, 09:38 PM
kenobi 65 kenobi 65 is offline
Corellian Nerfherder
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brookfield, IL
Posts: 11,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
"Oh, that Prague? The one in Europe? Sure, I went there!""
"I thought you meant 'Prog.' I hate prog rock. ELP? Yes? Rush? Pompous!"

(For the record, I, personally, love both Prague and Prog. )

Last edited by kenobi 65; 04-13-2018 at 09:38 PM.
  #4152  
Old 04-13-2018, 10:05 PM
Sage Rat Sage Rat is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 19,548
More betterer into:

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/poli...208870264.html
  #4153  
Old 04-14-2018, 01:44 PM
Lance Turbo Lance Turbo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 2,774
Post from 10-26-2017...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps View Post
E.g. all the evidence suggests that the dossier's accusation that Trump-lawyer Cohen met with Russian officials in Prague is almost certainly false. But if you're willing to believe that Cohen for some reason flew to a different European country and then travelled by land to Prague such that it wouldn't show up on his passport, and if you jiggle the timeline a bit, then perhaps you can believe it. If you want to.
Some posts age better than others.
  #4154  
Old 04-14-2018, 06:14 PM
Sherrerd Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
Post from 10-26-2017...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps
E.g. all the evidence suggests that the dossier's accusation that Trump-lawyer Cohen met with Russian officials in Prague is almost certainly false. But if you're willing to believe that Cohen for some reason flew to a different European country and then travelled by land to Prague such that it wouldn't show up on his passport, and if you jiggle the timeline a bit, then perhaps you can believe it. If you want to.
Some posts age better than others.
Thanks for digging that up. It's representative of posts all over the internet that treated with extreme scorn the very IDEA that The Dossier could have been correct about anything--with Cohen's Prague-free passport proclaimed to be Exhibit One.

Now, we can count the number of posts acknowledging that the boasting was misplaced, and compare it with the number of posts decrying the dossier: this will be the Integrity Ratio for Trump fans.

(My guess: the ratio will approach zero very closely.)
__________________
__________________

Self-correction is the secret strength of freedom. ---George W. Bush, 19 October 2017
  #4155  
Old 04-14-2018, 06:39 PM
octopus octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 6,757
When your “puppet” president bought for a $100k bombs your Middle Eastern ally and kills hundreds of your citizens repelling attacks what have you really accomplished?
  #4156  
Old 04-14-2018, 06:40 PM
Fiveyearlurker Fiveyearlurker is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,612
Taking a step back and looking at how hard the GOP is trying to discredit Mueller, a lifelong member of their own party and legitimate American hero who they were all praising quite recently, is there any doubt that their party is in the last throes of desperation and making their final moves? They know that their attacks on Mueller are disingenuous. They have to.

They wouldn't be making this move if they thought that the investigation might clear Trump, and their party. Their attacks are the best bad move that they have. Other than putting country over party, obviously.

Last edited by Fiveyearlurker; 04-14-2018 at 06:40 PM.
  #4157  
Old 04-14-2018, 06:43 PM
Sage Rat Sage Rat is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 19,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Taking a step back and looking at how hard the GOP is trying to discredit Mueller, a lifelong member of their own party and legitimate American hero who they were all praising quite recently, is there any doubt that their party is in the last throes of desperation and making their final moves? They know that their attacks on Mueller are disingenuous. They have to.

They wouldn't be making this move if they thought that the investigation might clear Trump, and their party. Their attacks are the best bad move that they have. Other than putting country over party, obviously.
It should be noted that it is a select number who are attacking Mueller. Others continue to support him, they're just quieter and more firm about it.
  #4158  
Old 04-14-2018, 06:49 PM
Fiveyearlurker Fiveyearlurker is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
It should be noted that it is a select number who are attacking Mueller. Others continue to support him, they're just quieter and more firm about it.
Maybe. But, support in words is meaningless without action. The members of the GOP have, at best, been neutral on Mueller, with many attacking him directly.

And, if we add Comey to the equation, another lifelong member of their party, the official policy of the RNC is to attack him. There are legitimate complaints about Comey, but being too tough on Trump during the election is not one of them. In fact, if I remember correctly, the initial reason for firing him was that he was unfair to Hillary Clinton.

Again, not something you'd do if you thought the investigation would clear your leader.
  #4159  
Old 04-14-2018, 07:27 PM
RTFirefly RTFirefly is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 35,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Okay, hands up: how many have "Trump Fires Rosenstein" threads ready to go?
Since Rosenstein's temporary fill-in will fire Mueller, I've been trying to come up with some sort of "Muellercranz and Rosenstein are dead" joke.
  #4160  
Old 04-14-2018, 07:32 PM
DSeid DSeid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 20,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
When your “puppet” president bought for a $100k bombs your Middle Eastern ally and kills hundreds of your citizens repelling attacks what have you really accomplished?
I suspect you really don't want the serious answer but I will offer one.

A Trump presidency has diminished the place of the United States as a leader and a model for the world, and reduces the chances of Western countries staying united against Russian actions in the future. It's the big game and a few bombs are nothing in it. Think chess ... Trump instead of HRC is Russia having control of the middle of the board and both rooks controlling open columns, losing a pawn that you'd likely have lost anyway.
  #4161  
Old 04-15-2018, 05:28 PM
Sherrerd Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Since Rosenstein's temporary fill-in will fire Mueller, I've been trying to come up with some sort of "Muellercranz and Rosenstein are dead" joke.
It will be an uphill battle (you're missing a lot of crucial syllables--not only Crantz but Guilden and Stern, too). Just don't keep at it too long, lest we be forced to observe that a noble mind is here o'erthrown...
__________________
__________________

Self-correction is the secret strength of freedom. ---George W. Bush, 19 October 2017
  #4162  
Old 04-15-2018, 07:41 PM
octopus octopus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 6,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
I suspect you really don't want the serious answer but I will offer one.

A Trump presidency has diminished the place of the United States as a leader and a model for the world, and reduces the chances of Western countries staying united against Russian actions in the future. It's the big game and a few bombs are nothing in it. Think chess ... Trump instead of HRC is Russia having control of the middle of the board and both rooks controlling open columns, losing a pawn that you'd likely have lost anyway.
People vastly overestimate Russia as a contemporary threat. They are a convenient boogeyman and not much more. The biggest issue facing the so-called West is internal divisions and the ability of modern communications to amplify differences.

Now, to be fair, Russia has recognized just that. Which is why it’s not the fact that Trump is president that is problematic. It’s the fact that it was possible for a Trump presidency that is troubling.
  #4163  
Old 04-15-2018, 09:23 PM
Chronos Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 77,417
And so Russia is attacking us by amplifying our internal divisions. Which makes them a legitimate threat.
  #4164  
Old 04-15-2018, 09:36 PM
Ambivalid Ambivalid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In my head
Posts: 12,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Which is why it’s not the fact that Trump is president that is problematic. It’s the fact that it was possible for a Trump presidency that is troubling.
I might just be misunderstanding you but what specifically is it that is troubling about the possibilty of a Trump presidency that is distinct from the reality of a Trump presidency?
  #4165  
Old 04-15-2018, 10:27 PM
ganthet ganthet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
People vastly overestimate Russia as a contemporary threat. They are a convenient boogeyman and not much more. The biggest issue facing the so-called West is internal divisions and the ability of modern communications to amplify differences.
Russia is very much a contemporary threat, just not so much an existential one like they were in the USSR days. Russian efforts have successfully promoted internal divisions in the US and other Western countries, such as France and Hungary, through both cyber efforts and indirectly funding some opposition parties like the National Front in France. Russian forces in both the Crimea and in the Donbass have kept a low-level perpetual war alive in Ukraine and ensured that the slow moving U.S. effort to draw Ukraine into NATO one day is on hold indefinitely. Russian forces in Syria have enabled Assad from being trapped in an unstable stalemate and allowed him to decisively take the upper hand in the Syrian civil war and therefore allowed Iran to keep Syria (and indirectly Hezbollah) in its column. This is a threat to U.S. efforts in Syria and the whole region to protect Israel and keep the peace with Iran, particularly now that Trump has even more firmly brought the U.S. down on the Sunni side of the Sunni-Shia proxy wars.

To sum up, Russia is a threat to U.S. elections and internal stability, a threat to U.S. plans and goals with NATO, and a threat to U.S. policy in Syria and the Middle East at large. They're just not a threat to militarily conquer and occupy the U.S. "Red Dawn" style and mostly not a threat to wipe us out with nuclear missiles these days. Thinking of threats using the latter two criteria only is old fashioned.
  #4166  
Old 04-16-2018, 01:00 AM
Yask Yask is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Taking a step back and looking at how hard the GOP is trying to discredit Mueller ... is there any doubt that their party is in the last throes of desperation and making their final moves?
My fear is that they're not desperate and in their final throws, but that they figured out they can lie like crazy and warp reality to their advantage as much as they want. It's all optics and elephants now, far removed from previous norms (which weren't all that stellar in the first place). Anyone who is against them is subject to the two minutes of hate rule, and a significant portion of the voting population will participate and amplify.

Early 90s talk radio made space for Fox. Now we have all that plus Sinclair. Alex Jones and Breitbart are at the vanguard of 'truth' now.


The GOP isn't desperately making their final moves; they're gleefully wielding their power.
  #4167  
Old 04-16-2018, 07:11 AM
DSeid DSeid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 20,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
People vastly overestimate Russia as a contemporary threat. They are a convenient boogeyman and not much more. The biggest issue facing the so-called West is internal divisions and the ability of modern communications to amplify differences.

Now, to be fair, Russia has recognized just that. Which is why it’s not the fact that Trump is president that is problematic. It’s the fact that it was possible for a Trump presidency that is troubling.
1) What sort of threat Russia actually is, is to no small degree immaterial to the question and the answer at hand, which, if I may rephrase, is asking what Russia would hope to gain from an effort to keep HRC out and get Trump in the presidency.

2) But moving on to the next subject you raise and connecting it - Russia is a threat precisely because they are so faded, and they resent that. At the risk of Godwininzing, that was Germany after the Great War. Russia's economic and diplomatic influence is a fraction of what it was and that is mainly by way of their control over natural gas and oil, which is diminishing. The economically engaged, even entangled, world game is one they know they cannot be even a major, let alone a dominant, player in longterm. They have regional military strength though, and the ability to undermine the strengths of others.

Yes, to increase internal divisions, both within and between other countries, partly by leveraging the power of modern communications to disseminate disinformation, to troll, and to amplify those divisions. To diminish the attraction of Western values of democratic representation, free speech, and rights, as a model for all societies to sign on to.

The reality of the Trump presidency is horrible, and yes, that such is even possible is troubling. The reality that Russia is across the world succeeding (with Trump's help) in diminishing the ideas and ideals that America represents when at its best is even more troubling.

Last edited by DSeid; 04-16-2018 at 07:11 AM.
  #4168  
Old 04-16-2018, 07:38 AM
up_the_junction up_the_junction is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: South London
Posts: 4,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
The reality that Russia is across the world succeeding (with Trump's help) in diminishing the ideas and ideals that America represents when at its best is even more troubling.
The ideals?

The USA spent the post-war period resisting democracy around the world, in favour of supporters dictators beholden to it.

The only 'values' the developing world saw for 50 years - central and south America, Asia, Middle east, North Africa - were CIA trained death squads political assassinations.
__________________
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who believes themselves free Goethe
  #4169  
Old 04-16-2018, 08:10 AM
Fotheringay-Phipps Fotheringay-Phipps is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 11,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
Post from 10-26-2017...



Some posts age better than others.
I remain skeptical of the claim that Cohen went to Prague. When the evidence comes out, we'll see. And if it turns out that it wasn't there, then let's see if you'll retract this gloating post.
  #4170  
Old 04-16-2018, 08:11 AM
DSeid DSeid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 20,672
Only?

Indeed that is a large part of the line that Russia is selling, and it would be foolish to be blind to the warts. America has certainly not always been at its best and can be better, should be better, needs leaders and voters who demand we be better and who inspire us to be so. Yet even with the warts, she's still the prettiest girl at the dance.
  #4171  
Old 04-16-2018, 08:50 AM
Johnny Ace Johnny Ace is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps View Post
I remain skeptical of the claim that Cohen went to Prague. When the evidence comes out, we'll see. And if it turns out that it wasn't there, then let's see if you'll retract this gloating post.
Well knock me over with a feather.
  #4172  
Old 04-16-2018, 09:14 AM
Gyrate Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Deepest South London
Posts: 21,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps View Post
I remain skeptical of the claim that Cohen went to Prague. When the evidence comes out, we'll see. And if it turns out that it wasn't there, then let's see if you'll retract this gloating post.
And if it is, what will you do?
__________________
"Don't delude yourself into thinking we're interested in you. We're just here for the trainwreck, man." - DooWahDiddy
  #4173  
Old 04-16-2018, 09:39 AM
Ravenman Ravenman is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 23,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
People vastly overestimate Russia as a contemporary threat. They are a convenient boogeyman and not much more.
Do you believe that Russia invaded and illegally annexed part of Ukraine?
  #4174  
Old 04-16-2018, 09:43 AM
Lance Turbo Lance Turbo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 2,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps View Post
I remain skeptical of the claim that Cohen went to Prague. When the evidence comes out, we'll see. And if it turns out that it wasn't there, then let's see if you'll retract this gloating post.
Too good.

Six months ago you were almost certain that Cohen hadn't been to Prague. Now you're merely skeptical. This shift in your position demonstrates that your certainty was misplaced and that your post hasn't aged well. There are no future events that could give me reason to apologize for pointing out that fact.
  #4175  
Old 04-16-2018, 09:50 AM
Ann Hedonia Ann Hedonia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,605
So, if it turns out that Cohen met with Russians in the Czech Republic but the meeting technically didn’t happen in Prague, who claims victory?
  #4176  
Old 04-16-2018, 09:52 AM
Happy Lendervedder Happy Lendervedder is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 13,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
So, if it turns out that Cohen met with Russians in the Czech Republic but the meeting technically didn’t happen in Prague, who claims victory?
The Russians, as usual.
  #4177  
Old 04-16-2018, 09:53 AM
Lance Turbo Lance Turbo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 2,774
FP will claim victory.

He's claiming victory right now for future events that will prove his poorly aged post was actually correct.

There's no conceivable outcome in which FP will not claim victory.
  #4178  
Old 04-16-2018, 10:25 AM
Fotheringay-Phipps Fotheringay-Phipps is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 11,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
Six months ago you were almost certain that Cohen hadn't been to Prague. Now you're merely skeptical. This shift in your position demonstrates that your certainty was misplaced and that your post hasn't aged well.
This is completely illogical.

If it turns out that the report is incorrect (whether there's not really any such information, or that the information is less than conclusive) then my original confidence will turn out to have been correct.

By contrast, your crowing about the McClatchy story will be shown to have been premature.
  #4179  
Old 04-16-2018, 10:35 AM
Gyrate Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Deepest South London
Posts: 21,183
And if the report is correct, what will you do?
  #4180  
Old 04-16-2018, 10:48 AM
Fotheringay-Phipps Fotheringay-Phipps is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 11,524
What do you want?

Tell you what, I'll march up and down outside my office with a placard saying I WAS WRONG!!! GYRATE AND A BUNCH OF OTHER GUYS WERE RIGHT!!! TRUMP SUCKS!!!!. Plus, I'll wear a sackcloth for 40 days and 40 nights?

Does that do it?

Hey, we're all just kicking stuff around here. If I'm wrong I'm wrong. I don't think I am, but of course you never know.

But what I'm not doing is gloating based on a report in one source that "there's evidence" for something.

Last edited by Fotheringay-Phipps; 04-16-2018 at 10:48 AM.
  #4181  
Old 04-16-2018, 10:50 AM
Lance Turbo Lance Turbo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 2,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps View Post
By contrast, your crowing about the McClatchy story will be shown to have been premature.
What do you think about the McClatchy article? Do you think Stone and Gordon are making this up? Do you think their sources are misleading them? Are you still almost certain that Michael Cohen has never been to Prague? Has this article had any effect on your level of certainty?
  #4182  
Old 04-16-2018, 11:03 AM
Fotheringay-Phipps Fotheringay-Phipps is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 11,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Turbo View Post
What do you think about the McClatchy article? Do you think Stone and Gordon are making this up? Do you think their sources are misleading them? Are you still almost certain that Michael Cohen has never been to Prague? Has this article had any effect on your level of certainty?
I'm going to give you one analogy that would help you understand the logic, in the event that this interests you.

January 7, National Enquirer: UFO Invasion, Aliens Touch Down in Colorado.
Lance Turbo: Aliens have landed! We're all doomed!!!
Me: This report is extremely unlikely to be true.
June 26, CNN: Sources report that there is some evidence that aliens did land in Colorado.
Lance Turbo: Ha!!! Your earlier claim "didn't age well".
Me: I'm still skeptical.
Lance: Yeah, but you're not quite as skeptical as you were earlier. That proves that your earlier claim "didn't age well".

[I don't think you can prove things from analogies, but they can be helpful in illustrating things to the extent that people are genuinely looking to understand. I don't know if that's the case here, but I'm willing to give it this one shot.]
  #4183  
Old 04-16-2018, 11:09 AM
iiandyiiii iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 29,436
UFOs are not a reasonable comparison. Pick an event that is in line with plausibility in terms of human events and behavior.
  #4184  
Old 04-16-2018, 11:13 AM
iiandyiiii iiandyiiii is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 29,436
Although, to be fair, the time to mock FP's skepticism will be when/if it's proven that he's wrong, not just more likely.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 04-16-2018 at 11:14 AM.
  #4185  
Old 04-16-2018, 11:16 AM
Yask Yask is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 86
I have a high degree of trust in McClatchy. Among other things, they come up as ‘least biased’ and with ‘High’ factual reporting on MediaBiasFactCheck.com Part of that trust is the belief that they protect their reputation by not recklessly publishing things in a rush to get ahead of a story (especially with something as volatile as this). I assume, therefore, that the authors, editors and publishers are all convinced that the claim passed a high bar of veracity.

But...

But from what I understand, the Mueller team has been notoriously leak-proof. If my understanding is correct, than this is suspiciously anomalous. The suspicion is furthered by it only getting out to McClatchy, not leaked to the wider media (or even just one or two other outlets). This isn’t a distrust of McClatcy per se, but a belief that there are many ways that this could be nothing. I wouldn’t even be all that surprised if it turns out to be a Project Verias-like set-up to sow distrust in McClatcy, but there are a lot of less insidious ways this could be incorrect.

So I’m holding my breath on this one. Cohen’s lie plus the implied affirmation of a critical element of the dossier could be the first ‘smoking gun’-level revelation — but there are a lot of ‘ifs’ to overcome first, from if they are correct that Mueller has such evidence to if they have evidence strong enough to convince FP that Cohen did indeed visit Prague (or thereabouts).

If it does fizzle out, I am going to march back and forth outside my office with a placard saying "I WAS REASONABLY EQUIVOCAL UNTIL STRONGER EVIDENCE CAME OUT." If it does turn out to be a bombshell, the sigh will read "I WAS TOO PEDANTIC AND WISH-WASHY TO JUMP ON THE BANDWAGON."
  #4186  
Old 04-16-2018, 11:24 AM
Buck Godot Buck Godot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 4,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
When your “puppet” president bought for a $100k bombs your Middle Eastern ally and kills hundreds of your citizens repelling attacks what have you really accomplished?
When did we kill hundreds or Russian citizens on Trumps orders? I must have missed something. As for Trumps new found "hard line" against Russia, it appears he was dragged to it kicking and screaming.
  #4187  
Old 04-16-2018, 11:31 AM
Gyrate Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Deepest South London
Posts: 21,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps View Post
What do you want?
To know what you'll do if the story is true. That's why I asked. Twice.

Quote:
Tell you what, I'll march up and down outside my office with a placard saying I WAS WRONG!!! GYRATE AND A BUNCH OF OTHER GUYS WERE RIGHT!!! TRUMP SUCKS!!!!. Plus, I'll wear a sackcloth for 40 days and 40 nights?

Does that do it?
I strongly suspect that you will not actually do any of those things, nor that you seriously intend to.

Quote:
Hey, we're all just kicking stuff around here. If I'm wrong I'm wrong. I don't think I am, but of course you never know.

But what I'm not doing is gloating based on a report in one source that "there's evidence" for something.
You're also still not actually answering a fairly simply question.
  #4188  
Old 04-16-2018, 11:53 AM
Lance Turbo Lance Turbo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 2,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
You're also still not actually answering a fairly simply question.
He also skipped over some fairly straightforward questions about the McClatchy article.
  #4189  
Old 04-16-2018, 12:14 PM
Buck Godot Buck Godot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 4,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotheringay-Phipps View Post
I'm going to give you one analogy that would help you understand the logic, in the event that this interests you.

January 7, National Enquirer: UFO Invasion, Aliens Touch Down in Colorado.
Lance Turbo: Aliens have landed! We're all doomed!!!
Me: This report is extremely unlikely to be true.
June 26, CNN: Sources report that there is some evidence that aliens did land in Colorado.
Lance Turbo: Ha!!! Your earlier claim "didn't age well".
Me: I'm still skeptical.
Lance: Yeah, but you're not quite as skeptical as you were earlier. That proves that your earlier claim "didn't age well".

[I don't think you can prove things from analogies, but they can be helpful in illustrating things to the extent that people are genuinely looking to understand. I don't know if that's the case here, but I'm willing to give it this one shot.]

OK, then the question is why do you think that the possibility of Cohen meeting in Prague is as unlikely as Aliens landing in Colorado.

Why is it so hard to believe? Is there some reason that the story is totally implausible or is it just, as it appears, that you reject it because it happens to shred your argument in this thread?

Also what would convince you not to be skeptical. If we have a photograph of Cohen sitting in front of the Grandior Hotel reading a Czech Newspaper with the date August 13th 2016, would that be enough? or would you hold onto your skepticism, like a climate change denier standing hip deep in water at glacier national park.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 04-16-2018 at 12:15 PM.
  #4190  
Old 04-16-2018, 12:39 PM
Fotheringay-Phipps Fotheringay-Phipps is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 11,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
OK, then the question is why do you think that the possibility of Cohen meeting in Prague is as unlikely as Aliens landing in Colorado.
I don't, and that was not the point of the analogy. Rather, to illustrate the logic (see post #4184 from iiandyiiii).

Quote:
Why is it so hard to believe? Is there some reason that the story is totally implausible or is it just, as it appears, that you reject it because it happens to shred your argument in this thread?
Mostly for reasoning outlined here.

(In glancing around google a bit, I've seen claims that these particular McClatchy reporters have a history of this type of reporting which fails to be confirmed by other news agencies or anyone else, but I have no idea if that's correct or not, and at any rate was unaware of this alleged history when I wrote my prior posts.)
  #4191  
Old 04-16-2018, 12:55 PM
Ann Hedonia Ann Hedonia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,605
They are so anxious to discredit the dossier as complete fiction that they will lie about everything, even when it doesn’t serve them. It’s stupid.

Like Trump’s claim that the hooker incident couldn’t have happened because he didn’t stay in that Moscow hotel room. Now we have credible testimony from someone on Trump’s side ( Keith Schiller ) that Schiller turned down an offer to send 5 hookers to Trump’s room, he and Trump had a little laugh about it and then Trump entered his room and stayed there alone all night.

Now, I find this believable. If this story is true then the dossier was right up to a point. Even though the prime allegation is false, there is enough “there” there that I can see how an agent like Steele might have gotten it wrong.

But Trump is so eager to discredit the entire dossier that he is lying about what is probably an easily probable fact - that he spent the night in that room. And it is THIS that makes me think he is lying about everything. Or that in some twist of the truth, he’s technically not lying but still guilty( maybe they gave him another room to sleep in because the bed was wet).

But if he’s innocent I really don’t get why he doesn’t just back Schillers story instead of fighting it.

The dossier says Trump is an American real estate developer. I half expect him to deny that just so he can claim EVERYTHING in it is false.

Last edited by Ann Hedonia; 04-16-2018 at 12:56 PM.
  #4192  
Old 04-16-2018, 01:09 PM
Ravenman Ravenman is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 23,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
When did we kill hundreds or Russian citizens on Trumps orders? I must have missed something.
Link. TLDR: Russian mercenaries were advancing on an American position in Syria. US airstrikes beat the shit out of those troops. I think it's pretty clearly a case of acting in self-defense, in which a President would be horribly, horribly derelict not to allow such defensive action.

Moreover, closer to your point, I'm not sure that the President had anything to do with the situation, at least in terms of issuing orders for the troops that they could defend themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
When your “puppet” president bought for a $100k bombs your Middle Eastern ally and kills hundreds of your citizens repelling attacks what have you really accomplished?
There are reports that the President gets mad whenever something bad happens to Russia. I generally find those reports plausible, since they fit in with the President's demeanor towards Putin.

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump...plomats-2018-4

ETA: this just occurred to me, are you making one of those "an honest politician is one that stays bought" type of comments? And so you're arguing that Trump has not stayed bought? I'm not sure what your point is.

Last edited by Ravenman; 04-16-2018 at 01:11 PM.
  #4193  
Old 04-16-2018, 01:15 PM
elucidator elucidator is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Further
Posts: 58,248
"Take their money, drink their liquor, vote against them anyway."

I'd probably be OK with accepting, ah, "support" for things I would do anyway. Trouble is, people who's agenda I favor don't have enough money to bribe with.
  #4194  
Old 04-16-2018, 03:33 PM
jasg jasg is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Upper left hand corner
Posts: 5,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yask View Post
But from what I understand, the Mueller team has been notoriously leak-proof. If my understanding is correct, than this is suspiciously anomalous. The suspicion is furthered by it only getting out to McClatchy, not leaked to the wider media (or even just one or two other outlets). This isn’t a distrust of McClatcy per se, but a belief that there are many ways that this could be nothing. I wouldn’t even be all that surprised if it turns out to be a Project Verias-like set-up to sow distrust in McClatcy, but there are a lot of less insidious ways this could be incorrect.
There has been an independent investigation of the dossier for some time now. According to a report from Foreign Policy magazine, DailyBeast hired a firm led by former FBI investgators as part of their defense against lawsuits from Cohen and others.

If they have confirmed the Prague connection they might have shared with McClatchy (and hopefully with Mueller).
  #4195  
Old 04-16-2018, 03:38 PM
Sage Rat Sage Rat is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 19,548
Mueller speaks!

He says that the media is reporting untruths:

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2...p-russia-prob/

No indication about what was or wasn't true, though it seems likely to be connected to last week's reporting.

Granted, it could just as easily be his office telling the newspapers lies, to get the Trump people to act in certain ways. But, more likely, it means that Prague isn't currently in the cards (or they want us to believe otherwise).
  #4196  
Old 04-16-2018, 04:29 PM
Fiveyearlurker Fiveyearlurker is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,612
You know those Russian sanctions that were announced that totally proved Trump isn't compromised? Yeah, he reversed them.

Trump has no opinions on any policy except this one for some reason.
  #4197  
Old 04-16-2018, 05:23 PM
JohnT JohnT is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 19,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
Mueller speaks!

He says that the media is reporting untruths:

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2...p-russia-prob/

No indication about what was or wasn't true, though it seems likely to be connected to last week's reporting.

Granted, it could just as easily be his office telling the newspapers lies, to get the Trump people to act in certain ways. But, more likely, it means that Prague isn't currently in the cards (or they want us to believe otherwise).
Knowing how the office would respond to this query, the WT asked them a question which got the standard response.

The rest is all spin.
  #4198  
Old 04-16-2018, 05:31 PM
Sage Rat Sage Rat is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Howdy
Posts: 19,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Knowing how the office would respond to this query, the WT asked them a question which got the standard response.

The rest is all spin.
Hm... You may be right. I'll revoke the statement.
  #4199  
Old 04-20-2018, 07:08 AM
Bijou Drains Bijou Drains is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 7,224
Trump hired Rudy Giuliani. His first comment was a noun, a verb and 9/11.
  #4200  
Old 04-20-2018, 07:35 AM
QuickSilver QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 17,489
Too soon!
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017