Old 04-15-2018, 09:23 AM

I don't suppose Mr. Jones cared to list these sacrifices? Because as far as I can see the only thing the right has given up is whatever vestiges of their thin veneer of decency they had remaining to them after the past 15 years.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Right. I understand that the lives of American service men and women aren't terribly important to war mongering cowards, but it's rare to see one admit it so readily.

That's worth a bravo! At least you're not a coward when it comes to revealing your own cowardice.
As Paul Krugman asked, Who wants to be the last man to die for a poss tape.

It's all about the investigations.
Russia investiagation. Cohen. Neuller. Comey. McCabe. Sessions. Stormy. Ryan "retiring". Flynn. Manafort.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8082bf2df1e3

... Sometimes there are reasons to publicize military operations before a major offensive — especially if the warning is specific about the intended targets, which Trump’s tweet was not. But the kind of airstrikes that Trump suggested Wednesday require the element of surprise. All of which suggests that Trump’s tweet is less likely to have genuinely been a military announcement, and much more likely to have been an appeal to his domestic political base as the special counsel’s investigation escalates and midterm elections approach. ... But, while a major ground offensive requires troop buildups and civilian evacuations, a missile strike works only with the element of surprise.

In fact, warning of impending missile strikes — even in the abstract — lets enemy forces move or protect essential equipment, military assets and important personnel. ... Within hours, Syrian aircraft were again launching airstrikes against rebel positions from the base. ... Trump is playing to his base

The real reason for the attack threats is probably this: Midterms are approaching, the Russia investigation is escalating and former FBI director James B. Comey’s book is being released.

Research shows that diversionary wars — wars started to distract the public from domestic unrest — are hard to start in democracies and rarely have the intended effect. Military operations in an already existing conflict are much easier to manipulate — and are not as risky as starting a war. ... Trump bookended his tweets about Syria with comments both about special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation and relations with Russia. That suggests that the president sees these as linked. And with Republicans expecting to take heavy losses in the midterms, Trump may see an airstrike on Syria as a way to motivate Republican voters and boost his approval ratings. ... In other words, announcing impending airstrikes against Syrian forces makes little strategic sense. But it makes plenty of sense for domestic politics.

Last edited by SteveG1; 04-15-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
Good question. Why did they????
Ignoring HL because he's a fucking trumplicking idiot. However, my thinking on this action between France, UK and US, was to use Syrian targets as a proxy message to Russia/Putin and his obnoxious meddling and trolling in world affairs.

Trump can't be relied on to send that message so the adults in the room are using military force to send the message that the Trump Clown Posse Administration isn't competent to send through diplomatic channels.

Message delivered, in my opinion. But it is of limited use because Trump undermines it by stepping on the message with his vocal ignorance of policy and diplomacy.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Ignoring HL because he's a fucking trumplicking idiot. However, my thinking on this action between France, UK and US, was to use Syrian targets as a proxy message to Russia/Putin and his obnoxious meddling and trolling in world affairs.

Trump can't be relied on to send that message so the adults in the room are using military force to send the message that the Trump Clown Posse Administration isn't competent to send through diplomatic channels.

Message delivered, in my opinion. But it is of limited use because Trump undermines it by stepping on the message with his vocal ignorance of policy and diplomacy.
That at least makes some sense. I think the best way to get Putin, is to go after the oligarchs and gangsters that are in cahoots with him, and their assets/holdings. Squeeze them enough then squeeze them some more. They may then squeeze Putin.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tooth View Post
I don't suppose Mr. Jones cared to list these sacrifices? Because as far as I can see the only thing the right has given up is whatever vestiges of their thin veneer of decency they had remaining to them after the past 15 years.
Fuck Alex Jones, with a barb wire wrapped cactus.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
That at least makes some sense. I think the best way to get Putin, is to go after the oligarchs and gangsters that are in cahoots with him, and their assets/holdings. Squeeze them enough then squeeze them some more. They may then squeeze Putin.
But even with congress voting 98/2 for the sanctions, Trump has dragged his fat orange ass to implement these sanctions, reluctant to upset his handlers no doubt. And anyway, even if the sanctions are implemented, Putin is in so deep with his various plots to undermine the west, that more than one clear message needs sending on multiple fronts.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtC View Post
You've missed the point. Contributions to a campaign have to be reported, and there are strict limits. But once the campaign has the money, it can spend it on negative advertising.

A campaign could also spend the money on silencing sex partners, and that would be legal.

What happened here is that money that was not campaign money was spent on that.

A better comparison is if a friend of a candidate spent $130,000 of non-campaign money to air negative ads about the opponent. That would be illegal, because money spent on getting someone elected has to play by the rules of campaign finance.
I wasn't missing the point here. I was pointing out that the investigations the the republicans were doing on Clinton was a form of negative advertising. This was not funded out of campaign coffers, this was funded by tax payer dollars. These were never dollars contributed to the campaign.

A better comparison would be if you got political allies in the government to spend millions of tax dollars "investigating" your opponent in order to make them look bad.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I'd pay a dollar to see that.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Then we should also open our doors to refugees from Syria, right? That's doing the right thing.
Right. The one unambiguously right thing to do in this case would be to admit more Syrian refugees. Therefore you know we definitely won't do it.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Good question. Why did they????
May did it because of domestic politics. She's so badly stained by Brexit she has to look resolute.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suranyi View Post
Right. The one unambiguously right thing to do in this case would be to admit more Syrian refugees. Therefore you know we definitely won't do it.
That's my solution. Take ALL the refugees. Don't just take the ones who are able to leave, go in there and give them transportation out.

They don't need to leave anything behind, have them bring it with them.

Then you can have a bunch of asshole fight over a patch of desert, and we don't really need to care.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:10 PM

Lyin' Huckabee Sanders.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
The tweet in question.
https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/985329759759601665
Old 04-15-2018, 02:25 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Jubilant news everyone! It's Mission Accomplished!
Now, where have we heard that before? Hmmm.

If there was not already speculation it's UN Ambassador Nikki Haley, I'd be tempted to think it was Sarah Sanders, judging from the brownness of that cunt's nose.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
You're advocating that American men and women, many of whom are my friends that I served with, be put at serious risk of death, without being willing to share that risk yourself. What's your excuse, if not cowardice? Go on, tell us. Maybe you've got a good story to tell.

Or maybe you're just another gutless chickenhawk.
Quote:
So until you enlist and REALLY do support fighting for a god damn piss tape, YOU shut the fuck up.
Now, now, now; the poor fellow deserves sympathy, what with his painful bone spurs....
Old 04-15-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Okay... Let's all take a breath and not bring ourselves down to their level.

It's entirely possible that this was a situation room briefing on Syria leading up to the eventual decision to strike. It was taken days before, obviously, when Pence was in attendance.

SHS may not be lying. About this specific thing. This one time.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Wow. It's hard to be sure because of the angles, but out of the 15 people I can see deciding on military action, only one seems to be in uniform. Fortunately for the world, Bolton is there.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:46 PM

Come back, Ron Ziegler! All is forgiven! Most all, anyway.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
If there was not already speculation it's UN Ambassador Nikki Haley, I'd be tempted to think it was Sarah Sanders, judging from the brownness of that cunt's nose.
Haley seems too smart to get personal with Trump (plus she backed Trump's molestation accusers during the height of the MeToo movement).

I would be astonished if Conway and Trump haven't had sex. She seemed very comfortable on her knees in the couch of the Oval Office. But I suspect that she's too old for him to use regularly (apologies for the callousness there, but it's Trump's callousness not mine). She probably just offers him BJs and quickies every once in a while if she's made him angry somehow.

Hope Hicks seemed to be free to date other men for her and Trump to have still been an item while she was in the White House. Omarosa denies anything.

I would venture to guess that it's someone we don't know, or Omarosa was referencing Kellyanne even though that's not quite the same thing as an affair.

Again, I would be surprised if Omarosa had never slept with Trump, but I'm willing to believe that they weren't a deal while in the White House.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 04-15-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:

It's entirely possible that this was a situation room briefing on Syria leading up to the eventual decision to strike. It was taken days before, obviously, when Pence was in attendance.

Why not? It works for them and nobody gives a damn. Why keep taking the "high road" only to see it do no good?

The crusty ass ho bitch is lying. Again.

It's what she does. Always. So, it is reasonable to expect the same behavior.

Pence was in Peru.

Last edited by SteveG1; 04-15-2018 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Let's roll the tape, er, the tweet....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucky Boo Boo
Last night the President put our adversaries on notice: when he draws a red line he enforces it. (Inside the Situation Room as President is briefed on Syria - Official WH photos by Shealah Craighead)
(photo including the magically teleported Pence)
6:31 PM - 14 Apr 2018
Sarah Sarah Pants on Fiah!

One might argue that this is a mere trivial error of no significance. I cut them as much slack as they cut Obama for the "57 states" syllabobble (i.e. none).

Last edited by Steve MB; 04-16-2018 at 05:15 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Why not? It works for them and nobody gives a damn. Why keep taking the "high road" only to see it do no good?
Insisting on taking the high road no matter what is the reason the other side can take the low road with impunity.

I recall Spider Robinson illustrating this point by citing the fight between Butch Cassidy and Harvey Logan in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Butch asks Harvey to clarify the ground rules. Harvey says "no rules". Butch immediately kicks him in the balls.

This sort of thing is why people set limits defining acceptable and unacceptable attacks. The problem is that it doesn't work when nobody is willing to punish violations of the rules by making the violator feel the consequences of throwing out the rulebook.

Last edited by Steve MB; 04-16-2018 at 05:25 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver
Please.

She was deceitful and she needs to be called to the carpet for being deceitful. She is a tough gal. She can handle us holding her accountable.

We need to call these people out for what they are. Trump doesn't misspeak. He lies. SHS doesn't goof. She lies. They are liars. Benefit of the doubt must be earned, and they don't deserve it. She knew what she was intimating by posting that photo. Fortunately for us, she wasn't smart enough to pull it off.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogSignal View Post
The dossier claimed Cohen met Russians and Eastern European hackers in Prague and discussed “how deniable cash payments were to be made to hackers in Europe who had worked under Kremlin direction against the Clinton campaign.”
I originally read "hackers" as "hookers". The disturbing thing is that that might be true too.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromOne View Post
I'd pay a dollar to see that.
Ah ha! Now who's obsessed with sexual imagery? Liberal hypocrisy!

Quote:
May did it because of domestic politics. She's so badly stained by Brexit she has to look resolute.
It's not just Brexit; between that, her Foreign Secretary's increasingly bizarre behavior and her having sold what soul she had to the DUP she's desperate to do something that makes it look like she's in control.

Ironically, the big reason Obama didn't intervene in Syria after the "red-line" issue was that he was planning a similar multilateral approach and then-PM David Cameron promised him that the UK would join the US. But the UK Parliament (still remembering the fiasco that was Iraq) said "Nuh-uh", Cameron was forced to take back his promise and Obama was left overextended without the support he had planned on. Theresa May avoided this issue simply by not asking Parliament at all... which is already coming back to bite her on the backside.

No idea what Macron's reason was.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
Let's roll the tape, er, the tweet....

Sarah Sarah Pants on Fiah!

One might argue that this is a mere trivial error of no significance. I cut them as much slack as they cut Obama for the "57 states" syllabobble (i.e. none).
In any other administration - I would see those 2 sentences being slightly unlrelated - sentence 1 being about 'last nite' - the aside (picture) being just that - a picture to show them discussing what was going to happen 'last nite' -she doesn't specifically put a timeline on the picture itself.

However, since this administration from before the election to now has zero regard for honesty - has below zero marks for credibility - every 'spokersperson' finds a way to argue and use 'alternative facts to counter fake news' - well - I'm not going to cut her any slack here - the way you fix this is to be 'more precise' - not less - in your comments.

In fact - I wouldn't doubt that it was intentionally done so that they could have yet another argument about how the 'MSM' are so unfair to them.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
I originally read "hackers" as "hookers". The disturbing thing is that that might be true too.
Understandable since hackers and hookers are both important service providers in this administration.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
She was deceitful and she needs to be called to the carpet for being deceitful. She is a tough gal. She can handle us holding her accountable.

We need to call these people out for what they are. Trump doesn't misspeak. He lies. SHS doesn't goof. She lies. They are liars. Benefit of the doubt must be earned, and they don't deserve it. She knew what she was intimating by posting that photo. Fortunately for us, she wasn't smart enough to pull it off.
Calling everyone's attention to blatant lying IS taking the high road. I hate that some people are still using euphemisms. Call it what it is: LYING.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 04-16-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:34 AM

This is also the Pit. I refuse to be diplomatic and polite in the fucking Pit.

SARAH HUCKABEE SANDERS IS A LYIN' SACK OF SHIT. AND SO IS HER BOSS.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2018, 08:55 AM

Don't click this link unless you've got the brain bleach bucket handy.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:01 AM

The top of the Amazon Best Seller list:

1. A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership - James Comey
2. Fascism: A Warning - Madeleine Albright
Old 04-16-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
You are fucking kidding me? Did Melania tell him that, or did he grab his dad too?
Old 04-16-2018, 09:37 AM

"Trump didn't mean to expel 60 Russians
President was furious and felt misled by aides, officials say"

https://wapo.st/2H2epu2I

Quote:
President Trump seemed distracted in March as his aides briefed him at his Mar-a-Lago resort on the administration’s plan to expel 60 Russian diplomats and suspected spies.

The United States, they explained, would be ousting roughly the same number of Russians as its European allies — part of a coordinated move to punish Moscow for the poisoning of a former Russian spy and his daughter on British soil.

“We’ll match their numbers,” Trump instructed, according to a senior administration official. “We’re not taking the lead. We’re matching.”

The next day, when the expulsions were announced publicly, Trump erupted, officials said. To his shock and dismay, France and Germany were each expelling only four Russian officials — far fewer than the 60 his administration had decided on.

The president, who seemed to believe that other individual countries would largely equal the United States, was furious that his administration was being portrayed in the media as taking by far the toughest stance on Russia.

His briefers tried to reassure him that the sum total of European expulsions was roughly the same as the U.S. number.

“I don’t care about the total!” the administration official recalled Trump screaming. The official, like others, spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations.

Growing angrier, Trump insisted that his aides had misled him about the magnitude of the expulsions. “There were curse words,” the official said, “a lot of curse words.”
The fourth word in this article tells all: distracted. When is the president NOT distracted? When is he capable of paying attention to and absorbing anything?

And, as usual, blame someone else, anyone else, when you can't do your job.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
the fourth word in this article tells all: Distracted. When is the president not distracted?

squirrel!
Old 04-16-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post

The fourth word in this article tells all: distracted. When is the president NOT distracted? When is he capable of paying attention to and absorbing anything?

I wondered what possible argument could have been made in order for Trump to do just one fucking thing right. Given the context, it makes perfect sense that he'd have to screw up in order to do the correct thing. What an incompetent asshole.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:

Yeah, you're right. I was feeling charitable this morning. Won't happen again.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
You are fucking kidding me? Did Melania tell him that, or did he grab his dad too?
Of course I clicked. Did they measure? Why are they sharing this publicly?
Old 04-16-2018, 01:24 PM

Often, a dagger can perform a task better than a claymore. Depends on the skill of the, ah, swordsman.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:

And the daughter of a preacher man too.

She considered being a pusher but failed the ethics test.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
And the daughter of a preacher man too.
Said preacher man is equally truth-challenged. Maybe it's a family trait.

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 04-16-2018, 02:03 PM

Can the clusterfuck get any more clusterfuckier? Sean Hannity is revealed to be Michael Cohen's third actual bonafide client.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Said preacher man is equally truth-challenged. Maybe it's a family trait.
For certain classes of preacher man it's an occupational requirement.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post

Refresh my memory. Did Obama ever blame his aides or advisers for anything? Did GW Bush?

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
Old 04-16-2018, 02:28 PM

I'd say this bit o' Hannity news calls for the Drama Button.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 04-16-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:29 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Negative View Post
Refresh my memory. Did Obama ever blame his aides or advisers for anything? Did GW Bush?
sTrumpets will claim he thought about it. It's even worse because he hid it rather than being up front about not taking the blame.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:31 PM

I'd settle for this old classic.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:36 PM

'Course this one would be acceptable too.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:49 PM

Trump is furious that Nikki Haley at the UN said there would be more sanctions against Russia.
http://theweek.com/speedreads/767811...ssia-sanctions
Old 04-16-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Trump is furious that Nikki Haley at the UN said there would be more sanctions against Russia.
http://theweek.com/speedreads/767811...ssia-sanctions
And now he's put a stop to any further sanctions.
http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...ssia-sanctions
Old 04-16-2018, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
I'd say this bit o' Hannity news calls for the Drama Button.
I like the dramatic gerbil.

Dammit -- ninja'd by Happy Lendervedder!

Last edited by EddyTeddyFreddy; 04-16-2018 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
sTrumpets will claim he thought about it. It's even worse because he hid it rather than being up front about not taking the blame.
That's not even impossible.