Old 04-08-2018, 10:35 PM

Strowman with the kid was good fun. Keeps me at 100% on my predictions too.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:36 PM

So that was a Make-A-Wish kid, right?
Old 04-08-2018, 11:03 PM

Ten for ten in my match predictions.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
This has been a really good WM. Best in years. I love how they have LED boards making a web all throughout the arena with flowing electricity and so forth.
Agreed, but this show was also goddamn weird.

Roman loses, Cena jobs like a bitch, both RR winners lose, Asuka's streak ends, and a pre-teen child is tag team champion. I couldn't have booked a 'Mania like this if I were high on bath salts.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:31 AM

Weird, yes. But there were no stupid celebrity matches!
Old 04-09-2018, 06:25 AM

Bad news. After becoming the youngest person to hold a title in WWE, Nicolas tested positive for Flintstone vitamins and has been future endeavored. What does that mean for the RAM tag team titles? Tune into Smarkamania tonight on USA to find out!
Old 04-09-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cell Guy View Post
So that was a Make-A-Wish kid, right?
411Wrestling reports it was a WWE referee's son.

It had to be somebody (a) at least somewhat wise in the business (Jim Cornette has done at least one podcast about how wrestlers had to keep kayfabe to their own kids, who occasionally ended up getting beaten up in school if their fathers were heels), and (b) that they can get on Raw the next night, if only so the Raw GMs can say, "Uh, no, he's not cleared to wrestle any more, you need a new tag partner."

For a minute, I thought they might have gotten Jorge Vega ("Kid Spidey" from the end of The Amazing Spider-Man 2).

My thoughts:
1. Way too long of a show. Fortunately, I live out west, so I didn't have to stay up until midnight.
2. So tell me, how much credibility does The Bar have now, considering they lost what was for all intents and purposes a 2-on-1 handicap match?
3. Please, please, please, pleasepleaseplease, PLEASE, did I mention please, please tell me they're not going to turn Stephanie/Rousey into Vince/Austin The Next Generation and shove that down our throats for the next couple of months-er, years. All Rousey needs now is her version of "What?!"
4. Am I the only one who gets a #WWESoNotJapanese vibe from Asuka and Nakamura both losing? Speaking of which, and pardon me for saying this, but Asuka needs to work on getting rid of that accent; when she grabbed the mic and said "Charlotte," I thought she was telling the crowd, "Shut it!" (or even "Shove it!").

Last edited by That Don Guy; 04-09-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:52 AM

Considering Asuka and Nakamura both won their Royal Rumbles, I wouldn't say they're being shat upon just yet. Plus, RR and Cena came off as the biggest losers, and somebody has to job in high profile matches..

With Zayn and KO presumably gone from SD, they needed more top level heels, so may as well make it Nakamura since no one else comes close to AJ's level. Maybe there will be some roster shuffling as well.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Considering Asuka and Nakamura both won their Royal Rumbles, I wouldn't say they're being shat upon just yet. Plus, RR and Cena came off as the biggest losers, and somebody has to job in high profile matches.
I did a double-take there for a moment. There are two RRs now.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Bad news. After becoming the youngest person to hold a title in WWE, Nicolas tested positive for Flintstone vitamins and has been future endeavored. What does that mean for the RAM tag team titles? Tune into Smarkamania tonight on USA to find out!
This is friggin hilarious and needed to be called out way before I'm saying something now

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post

My thoughts:
1. Way too long of a show. Fortunately, I live out west, so I didn't have to stay up until midnight.
2. So tell me, how much credibility does The Bar have now, considering they lost what was for all intents and purposes a 2-on-1 handicap match?
3. Please, please, please, pleasepleaseplease, PLEASE, did I mention please, please tell me they're not going to turn Stephanie/Rousey into Vince/Austin The Next Generation and shove that down our throats for the next couple of months-er, years. All Rousey needs now is her version of "What?!"
4. Am I the only one who gets a #WWESoNotJapanese vibe from Asuka and Nakamura both losing? Speaking of which, and pardon me for saying this, but Asuka needs to work on getting rid of that accent; when she grabbed the mic and said "Charlotte," I thought she was telling the crowd, "Shut it!" (or even "Shove it!").
1. !00% Agree. Although this year felt like it moved much faster than other years. I think there were less (and shorter) video packages and no stupid concert in the middle of it

2. They're still fine. They've had the titles forever and beaten plenty-o-tag teams in the recent past. Besides, I think it's pretty well known both these guys have some good comedic chops, so they can play along very well

3. I don't think they are. I think they just needed a foe for her that everyone hates (Stephanie) and is SUPER underrated for her ability to sell and put other people over. She isn't a wrestler, but she did her job (heh) last night better than literally anyone else on that roster

4. 1000% agree on the Japanese talent cutting promos. Asuka's was especially bad last night. CHARLOTTE!!!!! WAS!!!!! READY!!!!....good lord you just lost, be contrite, be humble...it's not the time for intensity. And Nak needs to take his goddamn mouthpiece out.

I was visiting family in South Carolina this weekend so I didn't see much of Takeover, but from what I did see I liked. I literally watched maybe the last 5 min of Black/Almas and...hot take...that 5 min was WAY better than Garbonzo/Chiampa. For being "unsanctioned" the match was basically a regular ole match with a crutch spot. Anyone who says that match was the best of the night is a smark-and-a-half and needs to be cut out of your life.

'Mania wasn't too bad. I turned it off before Brock/Reigns because I just don't care, and by the sounds of it the crowd didn't either. Then again, the crowd was tapped after the Rousey match. You just can't watch wrestling for 4 goddamn hours and expect to have any energy at the end. Between Impact and NXT, I've been to enough tapings to see it after just 2 or 3 hours.

Just like when someone says Chiampa/Garbonzo was the best match is a damn liar, anyone who says any match other than Rousey was the best match is also a goddamn liar. That match had everything you want in a wrestling match and Rousey looked very competent. I'm excited for her future.

We'll have to see what happens tonight, but I'm expecting some NXT callups and a Bobby Lashley appearance. TNA Takeover continues!
Old 04-09-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
My thoughts:
1. Way too long of a show.

when she grabbed the mic and said "Charlotte," I thought she was telling the crowd, "Shut it!" (or even "Shove it!").
Yeah, with the pre-show, 7 or 8 freaking hours. Vince loves him those packed, long shows. I'm amazed the audience held out that long.

I had to take a number of breaks myself, even being at home. Missed a couple of matches making dinner and doing other things.

Asuka - YES, I thought the same thing. I thought she screamed "SHUT IT!" and I think the crowd did too. She's been with NXT/WWE for two years now and doesn't seem to be making a lot of progress learning English.

But Asuka's streak was always meant to end at Wrestlemania, so I'm not upset about it. I did call them not pulling the trigger on Nakamura and yes, I do think that some of this is Vince's known bias against Japanese people.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:20 AM

I think WWE needs to break up that long 7-8 hour Let's Exhaust Our Viewers Fest into more smaller windows over the course of the weekend. But OTOH, they're already exhausting everyone with 5 days of events in a row.

Hell, they should even take the following week off every year and just show highlights from all the shows and Axxess stuff. Not like, today and tomorrow, immediately after Wrestlemania, but like next week. Give everyone but the production staff a week off to rest up and heal.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
I did a double-take there for a moment. There are two RRs now.
Aw, damn. Now I have to type a few more letters.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimera View Post
I think WWE needs to break up that long 7-8 hour Let's Exhaust Our Viewers Fest into more smaller windows over the course of the weekend. But OTOH, they're already exhausting everyone with 5 days of events in a row.
Agreed. They should make this a 4-day event.

Thursday Evening: Hall of Fame Ceremony
Friday Evening: Takeover
Saturday Evening: Wrestlemania Part I
Sunday Evening: Wrestlemania Part II

My initial thoughts would be to do 2 Smackdown and 2 Raw titles each show, though a case could be made a Smackdown and Raw show, with the group matches split up. Could WWE sell out Superdome-sized venues two nights in a row? I don't know, but I'd like to think yes.

Asuka's English is atrocious. For all I can tell, she may just be learning what to say phonetically, not understanding much. Nakamura's isn't much better, but I think he understands more English. They both need managers. I don't get Vinnie Mac/Dunn hatred of managers (besides having to cut another paycheck), but managers help. Just look at how Heyman has boosted Lesnar, and how Ellering helps AoP. They don't need to return to every rising heel star having a manager, but having some managers would be a boost for those who aren't naturals on the mic (or who can't speak English).
Old 04-09-2018, 06:39 PM

Brock has re-signed with WWE. No word on the length of contract but his next title defense will be in Saudi Arabia against Reigns.

There was some sort of confrontation between Brock and Vince in gorilla after last night’s match. Details are scarce at the moment, but apparently Vince was pissed at Brock for going off script at the end of the match. Brock either threw the Universal Title at Vince, or against the wall/on the floor. No word on if the belt was damaged.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:49 PM

Dang, all these fans getting bent out about a kid being Braun's partner need to get a drip. WWE does comedy and child friendly spots all the time. At multiple points in your career, you are going to be called on to play a cartoonish villain or fool.

And no shit he was a plant. You don't think they have all the insurance, legal papers and releases signed and notarized before they put a kid next to the ring?
Old 04-09-2018, 07:23 PM

Nicholas didn't trigger my piss meter. It's part of Braun's meta personality to destroy shit and do what he's not supposed to do. He's like Stove Cold Steve Austin crossed with Paul Bunyan. I'm waiting for the day when he finally flips the ring over.

I was still laughing over the Mardi Gras heads running from him in fear. I don't expect a technical wrestling fest when Braun comes out.

Oooh! Ember Moon is on RAM! I expect AoP to show up as well.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:52 PM

Hazzah! I called it! AoP hath arrived.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
Agreed. They should make this a 4-day event.

Thursday Evening: Hall of Fame Ceremony
Friday Evening: Takeover
Saturday Evening: Wrestlemania Part I
Sunday Evening: Wrestlemania Part II
For all intents and purposes, Takeover already is "WrestleMania Part I." You might as well have a Raw WrestleMania and a Smackdown WrestleMania if you're going to split it into two nights. On top of everything else, you try convincing the wrestlers who have to wrestle on the WWE equivalent of the Creative Arts Emmys that it's not a depush.

Quote:
Dang, all these fans getting bent out about a kid being Braun's partner need to get a drip. WWE does comedy and child friendly spots all the time. At multiple points in your career, you are going to be called on to play a cartoonish villain or fool.

And no shit he was a plant. You don't think they have all the insurance, legal papers and releases signed and notarized before they put a kid next to the ring?
It still diminishes the title. Maybe - maybe - not to David Arquette level, but it still leaves a mark on its history.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:15 AM

Braun and Nicholas relinquished the titles last night. Braun said Nicholas had to finish up his schooling, then they'll be back for those titles.

So are they actually going to follow this up 10+ years from now? The kid might be prefer to be an accountant instead.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
For all intents and purposes, Takeover already is "WrestleMania Part I." You might as well have a Raw WrestleMania and a Smackdown WrestleMania if you're going to split it into two nights. On top of everything else, you try convincing the wrestlers who have to wrestle on the WWE equivalent of the Creative Arts Emmys that it's not a depush.
Assuming...and it's a big assumption...that they could fill the Superdome on consecutive nights, it *shouldn't* be an issue. Gate receipts should matter more than which night. What would be an issue if it was always Raw on Sunday, or the Raw Men's and Women's championship on Sunday, if they went that with split shows. It certainly isn't a perfect solution, but it's perhaps a better solution than a 7-hour show.

While I totally expected a heel turn during Owens/Zayn vs. McMahon/Bryan, it is good they didn't go that way because of the Nakamura turn, which was more surprising, at least to me. I liked it, as I was getting tired of all the hugging at the end of matches.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:17 PM

No links, but today is a great day for kayfabe and self-awareness.

WWE put out an official release statement on Nicolaus and wishes him well on his future endeavors and Impact tweeted that they received a box of donuts at their offices with some resumes because "apparently we're the company everyone wants to work for."

That's just fantastic.

Also, a shout-out to Kurt Angle for that wicked burn and actually referencing TNA on air by name. That has to be the first time right? Outside of random things like documentaries and AJ on Talking Smack?
Old 04-10-2018, 03:21 PM

TNA? The outfit that pays $3.50 and a ham sandwich if you work a taping? And the check is made out in Argentinian pesos from a closed account connected to someone who hasn't worked there in five years?
Old 04-10-2018, 04:49 PM

Speaking of TNA/Impact, Alberto El Patron no-showed the Impact vs Lucha Underground event (to the collective shock of just about nobody) and has since been fired by Impact. So they are indeed hiring, given that they had him planned for a world title bout with Austin Aries at their next PPV.

Have seen some reports that it's likely to end up being Aries vs Fenix vs Penta, which would be a huge upgrade.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
TNA? The outfit that pays $3.50 and a ham sandwich if you work a taping? And the check is made out in Argentinian pesos from a closed account connected to someone who hasn't worked there in five years?
I'm friends with a girl who works all the tapings when they're in town and they pay at least a Turkey and Cheese...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzeiger View Post
Speaking of TNA/Impact, Alberto El Patron no-showed the Impact vs Lucha Underground event (to the collective shock of just about nobody) and has since been fired by Impact. So they are indeed hiring, given that they had him planned for a world title bout with Austin Aries at their next PPV.

Have seen some reports that it's likely to end up being Aries vs Fenix vs Penta, which would be a huge upgrade.
That match has been confirmed. I'm pretty excited cuz I've never seen Penta or Fenix. I could take or leave Aries but whatever...he's fine.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:12 PM

Charlotte breaks Asuka’s streak and then jobs to Carmella? I want some of what Vince is smoking.

Of course this means Charlotte is heading to Raw.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:13 PM

Gotta give it to Charlotte to come out and put Asuka over.

Then put the debuting Iconic Duo over.

Then drop the belt to Carmella.

That segment helped a lot of people.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:11 AM

I like heel Nakamura. He's a departure from the usual heel persona that's always belligerent and complaining. Nak had that "fuck with your head" outlook in NXT, acting like he's lost and doesn't understand what's going on, but then coming up with an unexpected zinger. In response to Renee asking him why he attacked AJS, he looks thoughtful, then says "No speak Engrish."

Carmella's similar to Alexa in that she may not be as technically gifted as Charlotte (who is really?) but she makes up for it with pure bitchiness. After winning the belt and acting like she was going backstage, she kept running back to the ring and taunting Charlotte. She's going to be the sissy heel champion who always begs for mercy and squeals like she's being murdered.

So, now its a near clean sweep. All new champions over the space of four days except for the NXT tag titles, which still resulted in a different team holding the belts.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Charlotte breaks Asuka’s streak and then jobs to Carmella? I want some of what Vince is smoking.

Of course this means Charlotte is heading to Raw.
Would you rather Asuka's first world title reign be for one day?

And I don't see Charlotte going to Raw any time soon if Rousey is there, if the rumors of having them wrestle at next year's WM are true. There are already too many opportunities before then for them to meet (SummerSlam; Survivor Series; Royal Rumble); they don't need to add every Raw whatever-it-is-PPVs-are-called-now to the list.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:17 PM

Was anyone really clamoring for another match between Jinder and Orton?
Old 04-11-2018, 04:19 PM

Another thought: It's been pretty well-established that Money in the Bank contracts can't be cashed in if the champion is unconscious. Has anyone tried faking it?
Old 04-11-2018, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekedolphin View Post
Was anyone clamoring for the first one?
Old 04-11-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Would you rather Asuka's first world title reign be for one day?
I would rather fracking Carmella wasn't the champ. That's like trading in your McLaren for a Daewoo.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:
No, they wasted enough time with each other last time.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
I would rather fracking Carmella wasn't the champ. That's like trading in your McLaren for a Daewoo.
I would tend to agree, but how long do you think she'll have it with Charlotte and Asuka around?
Old 04-12-2018, 12:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I would tend to agree, but how long do you think she'll have it with Charlotte and Asuka around?
Given Vince's love of chickenshit heel champs who win when other people help him? About 6-8 months at the least.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:04 AM

I'm guessing Charlotte will take the next few weeks getting revenge on the Iconics (doesn't have the same ring as Iconic Duo), and Carmella will defend against Naomi and Becky Lynch and eke out wins. Maybe they'll bring James Ellis back to run interference for her.

I think Asuka is still considered RAW talent, so she'll have a go at Nia's belt and <gasp> lose.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:52 PM

I dunno, Charlotte gets a rematch against Carmella. I think that will end up a three way (giggity) with Asuka ending with Asuka taking the belt from Carmella and then going back to feuding with Charlotte.

I don't think the Iconics have the skills to hang with Charlotte, that was just to make an impact and set up Carmella. I could see them 'picking on' individual wrestlers though, like Becky Lynch, who hasn't had a feud in a year. Start with them kicking her ass a couple of times and beating her down then Lynch wins the blow off match to elevate her back up to being able to feud with whoever is champ in 4-6 months.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Another thought: It's been pretty well-established that Money in the Bank contracts can't be cashed in if the champion is unconscious. Has anyone tried faking it?
When was the last time somebody tried cashing in MITB only to be told, "Sorry, but the champion is unconscious, so you can't"?

Speaking of which, when was the last time a face won a MITB contract? It's sort of like having the faces win the coin toss at a WarGames match - it pretty much defeats the purpose.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:38 AM
Charter Member

Looks like Rusev Day may be coming to an end. Rusev has been pulled from the casket match, and has removed everything WWE related from his Twitter profile. He also said
Quote:
Life is life..... it will be #RusevDay somewhere
Just like WWE to waste someone who built themselves organically.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Odds View Post
Looks like Rusev Day may be coming to an end. Rusev has been pulled from the casket match, and has removed everything WWE related from his Twitter profile. He also said
Just like WWE to waste someone who built themselves organically.
Whatever. I'm over Ru-Ru's antics. He and Lana have done enough harm to themselves by crossing the WWE that I'm barely even sympathetic towards him anymore. Get out of here and make way for someone else.

Although I also heard that he and Lana financed/created a movie or something, so he might just be doing that.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:24 PM

Honestly I couldn't tell you what they've done over the last six months to be in the dog house and I don't fucking care anymore. Either WWE needs to get their shit together and stop punishing the man, or they need to release him.

To me this is like a fight between two children, one of whom is president of the club and has it out for the other. They're both at fault and I'm fucking tired of the fallout.

Rusev is a fan favorite, he sells merch. Lana is a bitch and if she's the problem, release her and keep him. She hasn't proven herself as a wrestler or talent except as a generic Russian manager.

I have two questions I'd ask Vince or Trips about it;

"What the fuck is your problem with Rusev and why can't you solve it?"
Old 04-13-2018, 01:49 PM

It could be that Rusev knows he's going over to RAM and he's just being cryptic.

Luke Harper's tweets are in the form of "Today is Monday. You know what that means." They're probably just working the twitterverse.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:29 PM

Catch the E&C Podcast with Aleister Black.

Man, that guy is a motor mouth on the show! Completely unexpected, but interesting. He does repeat himself a bit, but in retrospect, he was pretty happy to be on the show and it was probably nerves.

At the very end when they're trying to squeeze everything in, he puts over Velveteen Dream big time.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:49 PM
Charter Member

Cena and Nikki are breaking up.

This is my chance.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:51 PM

Go for it.

Far too high maintenance for me. And I'm not nearly rich and famous enough.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Go for it.

Far too high maintenance for me. And I'm not nearly rich and famous enough.
Which one?
Old 04-16-2018, 04:33 AM

Now that Laurel Van Ness left Impact, Nikki can take her jilted bride gimmick.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

While I would never say "no" should Ms. Bella come on to me, neither is someone I would purposely pursue. I wish them both well in their future endeavours.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:14 AM

I got a ton of heat and bad words thrown at me elsewhere for saying it, but I'll say it here.

The Bellas always impressed me as star fuckers from the very beginning. They were aiming for the top and they got them. Bryan Danielson was a top guy when Brie landed him. Cena is obviously *the* top guy.

The only thing that shocks me about this breakup is that it didn't wait until 6-12 months after they got married. I'm going to go ahead and speculate that it had something to do with the prenuptial agreement.

Gods honest truth I wish all the best to Brie and Bryan, but I will be surprised if they are still married five years from now. I expect probably the closest thing to badmouthing her would be Bryan saying something like "Well, I had enough to retire on, but now I have less money and child support payments" as a reason for him to work more.