Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 10-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Bryan Ekers's Avatar
Bryan Ekers Bryan Ekers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 57,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
"What kind of TV programs do they play here?"

"Oh, BOTH kinds -- patriotism AND outrage!"
"In a nice gooey Jesusy blend!"
  #52  
Old 10-06-2012, 02:10 PM
GreenElf GreenElf is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: chicago
Posts: 2,126
When FOX news has liberal guests, they'll shout them down instead of letting them speak their views. CNN generally lets their guests at least have their say. Also, FOX couches the news within conservative viewpoints such as the need for tax cuts or religion.
  #53  
Old 10-06-2012, 05:54 PM
El Zagna El Zagna is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,935
In any discussion like this you need to separate out Sheppard Smith from the talking heads. Smith is a straight up journalist, He does actual news, the rest is just opinion and spin.
  #54  
Old 10-07-2012, 08:26 AM
Spice Weasel Spice Weasel is offline
Guest
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 16,870
Fox News doesn't put a political spin on things - it outright lies about them. I can't even tell you how many times I've been flipping channels and seen the following scenario:

"Today President Obama said he supports the bludgeoning of baby seals. The horror!"
*cut to video footage of Obama saying, "Bludgeoning baby seals is wrong. But we need to consider the following issues when addressing the problem..."
*cut back to newscaster* ''Now why do you think Obama says he supports the bludgeoning of baby seals? Here to talk about why Obama supports the bludgeoning of baby seals is our special guest...''

Just blatant, outright lies. I think Americans should file a class action suit against Fox News for undue pain and suffering.
  #55  
Old 10-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Learjeff Learjeff is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 4,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlightening Meditation View Post
Fox News' selective out-of-context editing of Acorn videos created completely false reporting on some incidents. As far as I know, FN never announced a correction or apology for these errors or any others for that matter.
Got a cite for that, or any good search terms? Thanks!

Regarding bias, try watching/listening all day to Fox News, and on another day, an NPR news station. Then see which of the following match:

A) Fox News
B) NPR news station

1) fear and anger
2) empathy and concern

Which do you think matches with which?
Is the stress on the emotion equal between the two?
  #56  
Old 10-09-2012, 05:54 PM
GIGObuster's Avatar
GIGObuster GIGObuster is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 27,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjeff View Post
Got a cite for that, or any good search terms? Thanks!
Quote:
Referring to a San Bernardino, California, ACORN employee whose claim that she killed her husband was recorded by actors posing as a prostitute and pimp, Fox & Friends co-host Gretchen Carlson asked, "She killed somebody?" adding, "Despite this, some lawmakers want to keep funding the group." However, the San Bernardino Police Department investigated the matter and concluded that the claims made by Tresa Kaelke -- the ACORN staffer in question who said she fabricated the story because the actors filming her "were clearly playing with me" -- "do not appear to be factual," and that her "known former husbands" are "alive and well."
Quote:
Kaelke said she decided to tell actors "outrageous things with a straightface." According to an ACORN press release, Kaelke stated of the actors who filmed her, "They were not believable. ... Somewhat entertaining, but they weren't evengood actors. I didn't know what to make of them. They were clearly playing with me. I decided to shock them asmuch as they were shocking me. Like Stephan Colbert does -- saying the most outrageous things with a straightface." The press release also stated: "When the actors approached Ms. Kaelke with their provocative costuming and outlandish scenario, she could not take them seriously. So she met their outrageousness with her own personal style of outrageousness. She matched their false scenario with her own false scenarios."
The selective and out of context follows logically from the lack of follow ups or clarifications, IIRC most of the tapes were released, but it is clear that there is a lot that O'keefe and his gang "forgot" to tape.

IMHO this final release of the ACORN affair, besides putting a huge discredited vibe to what O'Keefe did, showed to me that it was very likely that other people reacted similarly to the "reporter" that came to ask for "advise" in other ACORN locations; unfortunately, other staffers were not clever enough to ad poison pills to their revelations like Ms. Kaelke did.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 10-09-2012 at 05:56 PM.
  #57  
Old 10-15-2012, 01:06 PM
msmith537 msmith537 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 26,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivesmarch4th View Post
Fox News doesn't put a political spin on things - it outright lies about them. I can't even tell you how many times I've been flipping channels and seen the following scenario:

"Today President Obama said he supports the bludgeoning of baby seals. The horror!"
*cut to video footage of Obama saying, "Bludgeoning baby seals is wrong. But we need to consider the following issues when addressing the problem..."
*cut back to newscaster* ''Now why do you think Obama says he supports the bludgeoning of baby seals? Here to talk about why Obama supports the bludgeoning of baby seals is our special guest...''

Just blatant, outright lies. I think Americans should file a class action suit against Fox News for undue pain and suffering.
Except that particular scenario never actually happened. So in a way, you're as bad as Fox News.


I'm a political moderate. That is to say I largely don't give a shit about politics and try to make an informed vote for whichever candidate I feel has policies that are best for the nation. My problem with Fox News in particular and 24 hour network news in general is that it represents what passes for the political process in this country.

People seem to vote on how they think they are "supposed to vote". Suburban white Middle America and rich businesspeople vote Republican. Minorities, intellectuals, urban young people and rich celebrities vote Democrat. Weirdos vote for third parties. Then they vigorously defend their position by demonizing the other party and discrediting their candidates.

Fox News exists by marketing to white Middle American conservatives by casting a bunch of anchors who look like grown up versions of he high school football captain and the vapid cheerleaders he bangs on the weekend, then having them prattle on abotu political issues 24 hours a day in the same manner that one would expect from...well...a couple of high school football players and their vapid cheerleader girlfriends..
  #58  
Old 10-15-2012, 01:24 PM
Clothahump Clothahump is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 14,654
No, it isn't.

FOX is moderate. However, all the other media outlets are slanted so hard to the left that FOX's being in the middle makes them look right-wing in comparison.
  #59  
Old 10-15-2012, 01:30 PM
Marley23 Marley23 is offline
I Am the One Who Bans
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 78,234
For example, other news networks ask "gotcha" questions like "What do you read?" and reports "data" like unemployment numbers. Only Fox un-slants things by asking if there's a government-media conspiracy at work.
  #60  
Old 10-15-2012, 01:48 PM
Knorf Knorf is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Living the Dream
Posts: 8,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
No, it isn't.

FOX is moderate. However, all the other media outlets are slanted so hard to the left that FOX's being in the middle makes them look right-wing in comparison.
And, in other news from Lalaland, red is blue, green is yellow, yellow is orange, up is down, and 2 x 2 = 7.

ETA: Clothy, I think you have no clue what hard left really means.

Last edited by Knorf; 10-15-2012 at 01:49 PM.
  #61  
Old 10-15-2012, 02:09 PM
yanceylebeef yanceylebeef is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Denver City Denver
Posts: 1,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
No, it isn't.

FOX is moderate. However, all the other media outlets are slanted so hard to the left that FOX's being in the middle makes them look right-wing in comparison.
You are ADORABLE!
  #62  
Old 10-15-2012, 02:15 PM
silenus's Avatar
silenus silenus is offline
Isaiah 1:15 Screw the NRA.
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 50,096
Bless his little heart.


But put strings on his mittens.
  #63  
Old 10-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Marley23 Marley23 is offline
I Am the One Who Bans
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 78,234
Moderating

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanceylebeef View Post
You are ADORABLE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Bless his little heart.


But put strings on his mittens.
Knock it off, both of you.
  #64  
Old 10-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Spice Weasel Spice Weasel is offline
Guest
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 16,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
Except that particular scenario never actually happened. So in a way, you're as bad as Fox News.
Actually, if we use the latest scientific research on myth-busting, I reinforced the idea that Obama clubs baby seals. This is one reason Fox News works so well - because when people hear something over and over, it sticks in their mind as true, even if it was presented in context as untrue. That means that even when Fox doesn't blatantly lie, it's still succeeding at manipulating people just by mentioning a ridiculous theory over and over. I have no doubt that Fox execs know exactly what they are doing.

A political moderate? You are a rare breed, my friend. But I basically agree with your assessment of 24 hour news channels in general. I can't stand to watch MSNBC even though I agree with it. I do not deny that it's trying very hard to be the liberal Fox and really have no respect for it on that basis. Even NPR has been getting on my nerves lately, because the bias seems more pronounced... I'm hoping it gets better after election season. I don't think it is really possible to get ''objective news'' but some organizations at least give some nuance to the story.
  #65  
Old 10-15-2012, 04:04 PM
A Dodgy Dude A Dodgy Dude is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
FOX is moderate. However, all the other media outlets are slanted so hard to the left that FOX's being in the middle makes them look right-wing in comparison.
FOX is the epitome of evil. Turn on FOX and what do you see? A liberal spokesman and a conservative spokesman discussing both sides of an issue. How spectacularly unfair, how blatantly biased is that?! Have you no eyes to see with? Have you no ears to hear with. FOX allows the conservative point of view onto the public airwaves. Clearly, FOX is being run by Satan himself.

Now if you want to see real journalism, professional journalism, journalism the way it ought to be, then read the NY Times or watch NBC News where the conservative position is virtually censored so as to protect the American public from its hateful, poisonous effects.

When in doubt, always remember:
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
and
CENSORSHIP IS JOURNALISM
  #66  
Old 10-15-2012, 04:11 PM
Marley23 Marley23 is offline
I Am the One Who Bans
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 78,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Dodgy Dude View Post
FOX is the epitome of evil. Turn on FOX and what do you see? A liberal spokesman and a conservative spokesman discussing both sides of an issue.
Exactly, only Fox News has talking heads. Wait, what?

Anyway what's actually on Fox News at the moment is this. Right now they have Laura Ingraham on and .... maybe someone is disagreeing with her. That's balance!
The top five stories on the show's website:
Quote:
Tea Party Drops Hardcore Ad Starring 'Obama Phone' Lady

Rudy Decimates Soledad O'Brien: 'Am I Debating Obama's Campaign?'

Obama Bans Drilling in Half of Alaska's 'Petroleum Reserve'

Tim Allen's Hilarious Show Mocks Obama

WaPo Juices Another Poll for Another Obama Nothing
  #67  
Old 10-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Jas09 Jas09 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 5,635
To be fair, Marley, that's Fox Nation's top stories not Fox News.

Fox News has this:

Quote:
Catholic Bishops Slam Biden's Remarks

White House Eyeing Strike Over Deadly Libya Attack?

Plan To Use Race In Rating Students Raises Alarm

BIAS ALERT: ABC Censors Obama "Communist" Joke
Gotta love how they manage to fit the War On Christians, race-baiting, the "Libya Scandal", and communism in just 4 headlines.
  #68  
Old 10-15-2012, 05:13 PM
drewtwo99 drewtwo99 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 8,757
Compared to the Drudge Report or World Net Daily, Fox News actually is quite moderate.

But compared to actually moderate media (IE, all of the rest except for MSNBC), they are laughably right-wing and serve to echo the republican party agenda.

Like I said earlier in the thread, they are a huge reason that "The Tea Party" even exists as a quasi-thing.
  #69  
Old 10-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Spice Weasel Spice Weasel is offline
Guest
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 16,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Dodgy Dude View Post

When in doubt, always remember:
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
and
CENSORSHIP IS JOURNALISM
Oh, Jesus Christ.
  #70  
Old 10-16-2012, 02:57 AM
Robot Arm Robot Arm is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Medford, MA
Posts: 23,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivesmarch4th View Post
oh, jesus christ.
...is a founding father.
  #71  
Old 10-16-2012, 03:08 AM
Spice Weasel Spice Weasel is offline
Guest
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 16,870
It's just that I can't stand that shit. You know, Dodgy, there are actually people in the world who live in actual dictatorships. Who see their families killed and tortured for dissenting political opinions. Your statement is a fucking insult to anyone who has ever actually lived through fascism. If you lived in a fascist state you wouldn't be posting that stupid shit on this message board - you'd be dead. It pissed me off when liberals did it to GW Bush and it pisses me off now. Shame on you.
  #72  
Old 10-16-2012, 07:43 AM
monavis monavis is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeschines View Post
First off, I'm very liberal.

Second off, I watch almost zero TV news. I catch it at my parents (not necessarily Fox), doctors' offices, and times like that. I do see a bunch of clips all the time of Fox News programs such as those featuring Hannity and O'Reilly. And sometimes it's a clip of an ordinary Fox News story, not necessarily anything political. That doesn't mean, however, that I haven't watched large chunks of Fox News over the past few years. I interpret at doctors' offices and often am waiting for patients. For some reason, Fox News is a popular choice to have on.

I think Hannity and O'Reilly are buffoons, but their programs are obviously and explicitly Conservative in message. One may blame the Fox Network for carrying such crap, but I don't, really. There's no hidden agenda, and those shows are fulfilling a demand for that message. In any case, I don't think those shows taint Fox News itself.

So, what about Fox News? It's slogan is, "Fair and Balanced." People, especially liberals, accuse it of being blatantly pro-Conservative. The thing is, when I've watched it, it's seemed like your typical stupid network news without a whole of lot bias either way. Plus, they have some hot blondes on there, which is nice.

I find network news to be boring and Conservative as a default setting. No matter what, it seems to reinforce the status quo. Keep calm and carry on, as the Brits used to say. No huge need for change, although there are problems problems problems, and isn't that interesting? Yesssss, watch. Watch more. Consume more. And... be happy (THX-1138).

Fox News seems well-produced with competent newscasters (some of whom are hot blondes). It does seem to tell the basic news without too much of a slant; which is to say, it's slanted toward the status quo--just like all news shows. There is nothing truly excellent about it, yet there doesn't seem to be anything *exceptionally* execrable about it either.

TL;DR: Fox News is Conservative, but all network news shows ares fundamentally Conservative, inasmuch as they subtly and unsubtly validate the status quo.

What do you think?
Actually. Fox has little news, it is mostly critisim of everything, or anyone they don't like. They run the news on the bottom of the screen, then cut it off for commercials! If Romny should win the election, they won't have anything to talk about!They are like the Pharisees who just look for the speck in some ones eye, and miss the plank in their own. I notice they don't let a person who they disagree with get a word in edge-wise. They talk over the person who differs with their ideas of what they think should be. I wonder why, if the know it all's with all the answers, aren't running for office themselves. And in 2014 when Romney hasn't worked his miracle(should he win) and have all the American's working, if he will admit then he was wrong?
  #73  
Old 10-16-2012, 08:28 AM
Marley23 Marley23 is offline
I Am the One Who Bans
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 78,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by monavis View Post
If Romny should win the election, they won't have anything to talk about!
Because Democrats will cease to exist at all levels of government? (As a side issue I don't think News Corp. brass like Romney very much in the first place.)
  #74  
Old 10-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Euphonious Polemic Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
No, it isn't.

FOX is moderate. However, all the other media outlets are slanted so hard to the left that FOX's being in the middle makes them look right-wing in comparison.
It is quite amusing to see someone who is convinced that they are at the center, and the proof of this is all those folks who are to the left of them! Do you have any concept of what the term "moderate" even means?

Seriously, if you line up the numbers 1 through 9, do you suppose that the number 9 is "moderate", located in the middle, and that the proof of that is all the numbers to the left of it?
  #75  
Old 10-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Kenm Kenm is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,314
This is all mildly amusing. It's like a discussion on the merits of hell and Satan.
  #76  
Old 10-16-2012, 09:55 AM
Jas09 Jas09 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 5,635
Today's current top Fox News online headlines:
Quote:
Clinton: I Take Responsibility, but...

Senator Details $19B In Wasteful Gov't Spending

Debate Night Pressure on Obama as Romney Surges

BIAS ALERT: CNN Host Goes To Battle For Obama
  #77  
Old 10-16-2012, 10:06 AM
CJJ* CJJ* is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
Well, if you consider that Fox News viewers rank as the least informed news consumers in the nation, I think you can say it is pretty bad http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1538914.html. But it is important to remember that Fox is, in a very real sense, the propaganda arm of the GOP. It is not interested in educating its viewers.
Actually, it would be more accurate to say the GOP is the legislative arm of Fox News, Mr. Ailes in particular.
  #78  
Old 10-16-2012, 11:20 AM
Buck Godot's Avatar
Buck Godot Buck Godot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MD outside DC
Posts: 5,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
They have been doing this for years, I lost track of how many times. They do it when someone is indicted, convicted, or even just loses an election.

Once is a mistake, twice might be if the bias doesn't show. But AFAIK they've never mistakenly ID'd a Democrat in a favorable light, or a Republican in an unfavorable light.
I actually have a theory that it is a actually a semi-honest mistake, but still an indication of bias. Basically it goes like this. The person who puts up the headlines doesn't know what party the person being indicted belongs to, but is under a lot of time pressure and doesn't have time to look it up. The one piece of information they have is they know he is being portrayed in a negative light in a story presented on Fox. So the reach the reasonable conclusion that they likely to be a Democrat, since only once in a blue moon will Fox put a Republican in a poor light.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 10-16-2012 at 11:21 AM.
  #79  
Old 10-16-2012, 11:34 AM
amanset amanset is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 5,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
No, it isn't.

FOX is moderate. However, all the other media outlets are slanted so hard to the left that FOX's being in the middle makes them look right-wing in comparison.
It is all relative to your own personal views.

I find all of American news to be hideously right wing, but that's because I am a typical Swedish-living left winger.
  #80  
Old 10-16-2012, 02:23 PM
eschereal's Avatar
eschereal eschereal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Frogstar World B
Posts: 14,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas09 View Post
Today's current top Fox News online headlines:
"BIAS ALERT"? That is pretty darn transparent.
  #81  
Old 10-16-2012, 02:34 PM
The Other Jeffrey Lebowski The Other Jeffrey Lebowski is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Near the Regal Beagle
Posts: 2,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
I actually have a theory that it is a actually a semi-honest mistake, but still an indication of bias. Basically it goes like this. The person who puts up the headlines doesn't know what party the person being indicted belongs to, but is under a lot of time pressure and doesn't have time to look it up.
Are you really proposing that whoever is writing copy on a story doesn't have 5 whole seconds to ggogle a name?
  #82  
Old 10-16-2012, 02:52 PM
Blaster Master Blaster Master is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Centreville, VA
Posts: 6,127
In short, Fox News as a channel is as conservative as you'll see in cable news, but I also don't think that's really particularly a fair way to assess the channel. Anyone who watches Bill O'Reilly or Sean Hannity or Fox and Friends hopefully knows they're not watching a news show but a commentary show, those are going to be slanted. They're there because they realize their audience is conservative and there's a demand for conservative commentary.

That said, when I've seen their straight news, it's usually pretty straightforward. In fact, the straight cable news on pretty much any channel is generally going to have a lot less bias. There is some, but it's no where near the level that you get out of a pundit show. However, even if they're giving a perfectly unbiased report, being aware of their audience, they'll still be more likely to report on things that their audience is interested in. So, during the presidential election, you're probably more likely to see Romney coverage on Fox News and Obama coverage on MSNBC. So, to that end, there is a bit of unavoidable bias simply by virtue of catering to their audience.

So, all that, yeah, if you're going to flip on during O'Reilly, Fox News is about as biased as you're going to get. But if you're just watching the straight news and taking the commentary shows as just that, it's not really all that bad. So it just really depends on how you want to look at it.
  #83  
Old 10-16-2012, 03:48 PM
msmith537 msmith537 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 26,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivesmarch4th View Post
A political moderate? You are a rare breed, my friend.
Well, I tend to be liberal on most social issues while fiscally conservative. I tend to favor free markets and policies based on sound economic theory.


What turns me off about Fox News and the Republic Party in general is less about their politics that it is how they have come to represent a sort of "stupidness" within American politics.

Then again, I believe all politics is about tricking morons into voting against their own interests.
  #84  
Old 10-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Greekfreak Greekfreak is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta G View Post
It's not news.
This.

It's the reason why CBC (and BBC until the WMD debacle) is the only news I take seriously.
  #85  
Old 10-16-2012, 07:07 PM
Euphonious Polemic Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greekfreak View Post
This.

It's the reason why CBC (and BBC until the WMD debacle) is the only news I take seriously.
And this exactly why Harper's Reform party is champing at the bit to defund and neuter the CBC.
  #86  
Old 10-16-2012, 09:01 PM
cosmosdan cosmosdan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NASHVEGAS TN.
Posts: 11,941
IMO There is some hard news on Fox that is pretty straightforward. Shep Smith, and Chris Wallace do well. There are others who are described as NEWS rather than opinion that sure seem to include a lot of "some say" type of propaganda

Here's a brilliant take on the technique by Jon Stewart
Sorry of it's already been posted.
http://www.aoltv.com/2009/10/30/jon-...ains-fox-news/
  #87  
Old 10-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Fiveyearlurker Fiveyearlurker is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 5,932
The current top five headlines on their business section (not their opinion section, but their business section) online:

NRA EVP: Obama Will Go After Guns if He Wins
President Obama's Big Lie... EXPOSED
The Worst Business Decisions of All Time
Consequences of America's Growing Entitlement Culture
Medicare Coverage: Separating Fact from Fiction

Can anyone tell me that this is fair and balanced? Four out of five of these articles are clearly opinion pieces in a very obvious direction.
  #88  
Old 10-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Really Not All That Bright Really Not All That Bright is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 67,760
That's Fox Business, which is a separate channel and site (though equally slanted).
  #89  
Old 10-19-2012, 01:21 PM
Jas09 Jas09 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 5,635
Right, but Fox News itself has:

"Miss-tweeted" about some vulgar Eva Longoria tweet about Mitt Romney

'Discrepencies' in Secret Service Prostitution Probe

Did Obama Botch Libya Response... Again

Woman, 80, Arrested For Booting Obama-Hitler Sign

That's basically 4-for-4 for slanted headlines.
  #90  
Old 10-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Lust4Life Lust4Life is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: perfidious albion
Posts: 6,422
Fox News is total and utter tripe.

Its an insult to other meda when it calls iself a News station.

No doubt I'll realise its relevance after I've had the lobotomy.
  #91  
Old 10-20-2012, 09:40 AM
John_Stamos'_Left_Ear John_Stamos'_Left_Ear is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,497
People who watch Comedy Central are better informed than people who watch Fox News

Say you're a news station. If your viewers tend to be less knowledgeable about things in the news, would you say you're doing a good job presenting it?

Looking at it completely logically, you are either really bad at informing your viewers, you are really good at misinforming your viewers, or your viewers are mostly mouth-breathers.

Sure, it can be come combination of the three. But is any of them actually a good excuse?

Last edited by John_Stamos'_Left_Ear; 10-20-2012 at 09:40 AM.
  #92  
Old 10-20-2012, 10:39 AM
ralph124c ralph124c is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 18,476
First: are you saying that FOX slants the news? Yes, of course. Do the other networks do as well? yes.
Take the NBC coverage of the Trayvon Martin affair-every image shown of Martin was that of him at age 14 or younger-there was not a single time that he was depicted as an adult. Not only that , there was no pretense at presenting just the facts-Zimmerman was guilty from day one.
All of the news networks slant their broadcasts-not one of them presents an objective, impartial look.
  #93  
Old 10-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Molesworth 2 Molesworth 2 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanset View Post
It is all relative to your own personal views.

I find all of American news to be hideously right wing, but that's because I am a typical Swedish-living left winger.
I'm an Australian, and I find American politics as a whole hideously right wing.

Sometimes I feel ashamed that Rupert Murdoch was spawned in my country.
But I always remind myself that a country shouldn't be judged by its worst creations.

eg I don't blame the British for the Daleks. And I don't blame the Americans for Jar-Jar Binks. By the same token, we Australians shouldn't be blamed for Rupert Murdoch.

And don't give me that rubbish about how Murdoch isn't a fictional character, because I've seen Fox News and it is clearly fiction. I particularly like their satirical pieces where they claim things like "climate change isn't real", "universal healthcare is a bad thing" or "Iraq has WMDs".

LOL at those zany Americans. You guys have a really great sense of humour.
  #94  
Old 10-20-2012, 11:39 AM
Boyo Jim Boyo Jim is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 36,997
It's probably funnier from a distance.
  #95  
Old 10-20-2012, 02:18 PM
drewtwo99 drewtwo99 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 8,757
Molesworth 2, you actually make a great point. Fox News is amazingly entertaining if you view it as a giant parody of the conservative movement.

It's actually quite sad if they AREN'T trying to be a parody.
  #96  
Old 10-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 57,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph124c View Post
First: are you saying that FOX slants the news? Yes, of course. Do the other networks do as well? yes.
Take the NBC coverage of the Trayvon Martin affair-every image shown of Martin was that of him at age 14 or younger-there was not a single time that he was depicted as an adult. Not only that , there was no pretense at presenting just the facts-Zimmerman was guilty from day one.
All of the news networks slant their broadcasts-not one of them presents an objective, impartial look.
So you are saying that there is some sort of natural law out there that prevents one side from being worse than any other side?
  #97  
Old 10-21-2012, 04:22 PM
monavis monavis is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23 View Post
Because Democrats will cease to exist at all levels of government? (As a side issue I don't think News Corp. brass like Romney very much in the first place.)
The country is very divided, so the Democrats will have their say. The margin is very slim for either person, (Romney or Obama).
  #98  
Old 10-22-2012, 07:59 AM
al27052 al27052 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,331
When I used to install Uverse TV/internet/phone service, customers would often bug me while I tried to work. the solution?

1. For young people, get the internet working as fast as possible. They'll leave you alone once they have working internet.

2. For the elderly, get 1 TV working as fast as possible. Put Fox News on. Voila! You won't hear another word out of them after you put Fox News on.

Seriously. I found two elderly households out of probably 100 that DIDN'T immediately sit down and start watching Fox News as soon as I got their TV going.

It's like little kids and SpongeBob.

Last edited by al27052; 10-22-2012 at 08:00 AM.
  #99  
Old 10-22-2012, 09:24 AM
msmith537 msmith537 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 26,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
So you are saying that there is some sort of natural law out there that prevents one side from being worse than any other side?
Probably the fact that each side needs to appeal to the vast majority of people who sit in the middle.
  #100  
Old 10-22-2012, 09:33 AM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm Czarcasm is offline
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 57,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
Probably the fact that each side needs to appeal to the vast majority of people who sit in the middle.
Is there also a "fact" that they must employ similar methods in similar proportions? "They both do it!" is nothing more than intellectual laziness.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017