Old 06-12-2019, 09:13 AM

July 4, 2019: Trumpendence Day!

According to the Associated Press, Trump's 4th of July celebration is "a mystery". I guess that's the polite way of saying "a shitshow of epic proportions".
Quote:
Will Independence Day festivities be centered around the Washington Monument or shift to the Lincoln Memorial, as the White House has reportedly requested? Will Trump follow through on his plans to give a speech? And, if he does, will the speech be open to anyone, including protesters, or will the White House restrict his audience to supporters at the traditionally nonpolitical event?

The White House hasn’t revealed its plans. The National Park Service, which is primarily responsible for the event, has also gone silent. That leaves the city government, which helps with security, in the dark.

Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton, the District of Columbia’s representative in Congress, said interdepartmental planning meetings for July 4 usually begin up to three months in advance. But to her knowledge, none of those meetings has happened.

“The city is scrambling to figure out what to do, because all they have is the outline of what (the White House) wants,” Norton said. She said she approached the Park Service for details but: “They wouldn’t tell us a thing. You know why? Because they don’t know a thing.”
Isn't this normally an event that draws hundred of thousands of people to DC? Hundreds of thousands incoming with no destination and no security plan? Is that wise?
Old 06-12-2019, 09:25 AM

Trump could use a lesson on successful event planning from his buddies Kim and Vlad.

I think he's conflicted on the event. On the one hand, lot's of people will show up. On the other, the majority will be protesters. I guess satellite images can be doctored to hide the protest signs, but how do you keep the pesky fake news media from taking photos?
Old 06-12-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Trump could use a lesson on successful event planning from his buddies Kim and Vlad.

I think he's conflicted on the event. On the one hand, lot's of people will show up. On the other, the majority will be protesters. I guess satellite images can be doctored to hide the protest signs, but how do you keep the pesky fake news media from taking photos?
They're probably working on plans to have only the State Media (Fox News) covering the event. No other newspapers or TV. The State Media will report on what Dear Leader wants us to know.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:

No need to. Just keep yelling fake news and the base will eat it up.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Ooh, I'll be the city government could get Speaker Pelosi to write a nice letter for them.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:

Classic often repeated relevant Trope.

I am of the opinion that Trump has been so sheltered that he truly has no idea what most people actually think of him. He may be in for a surprise.

From a previous thread I started about this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
But in actuality the crowd will be made primarily of locals who: (1) vote reliably vote Democrat over Republican by a factor of twelve to 1; (2) largely work for the federal government, and so still have bitter feeling towards their being used as pawns in his shutdown fight over the stupid border wall; (3) probably feel the same way as I do about having what is normally a nice day for a picnic, fireworks, good music, and a chance to feel good about their country transformed into an event celebrating a man that is the embodiment of everything that is making them feel bad about it. Needless to say, its not going to be the friendly crowd of MAGA heads that Trump is used to.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 06-12-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I am of the opinion that Trump has been so sheltered that he truly has no idea what most people actually think of him. He may be in for a surprise.
He knows exactly what people think of him and why. He's known it his entire worthless life and every day is just another reminder of his long list of failures. Narcissism and pathological lying are his only coping mechanisms of survival.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
According to the Associated Press, Trump's 4th of July celebration is "a mystery". I guess that's the polite way of saying "a shitshow of epic proportions".
"A shitshow of epic proportions: sums up the Trump Presidency perfectly.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:15 AM

Sparklers and the White House staff in the rose garden. It's going to be epic.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:20 AM

Catering by McDonalds.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:21 AM

So where is the Kickstarter/GoFundMe to buy mass quantities of tomatoes and distribute them to the crowd?

You know, because people might get hungry.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 06-12-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

I'm just going to lay this out here: Trump can't plan a two car parade. Ultimately, there will be no Trump speech on the Fourth of July.

That's my prediction. I hope I'm not proven wrong.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

There's already a protest afoot. They're planning on the angry baby Trump balloon, plus tees showing the same character, and encouraging people to go to carry air horns and use them liberally (ha!).
Old 06-12-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
There's already a protest afoot. They're planning on the angry baby Trump balloon, plus tees showing the same character, and encouraging people to go to carry air horns and use them liberally (ha!).
You know, I hate parade balloons. But that's one ugly ass balloon I would be happy to see permanently parked in full view of the White House.
Old 06-12-2019, 12:40 PM

As a non-resident of DC, I ask, what were the last two celebrations like? Did Il Douche stay away?
Old 06-12-2019, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

The more I think about this, the less sense it makes. Surely, where to hold a speech is something that the President has the authority to decide unilaterally. So if he wants it in front of the Lincoln Memorial, all he has to do is tell one of his staff "I want to speak at the Lincoln Memorial on July 4. Make all the arrangements.". Or, even if he's forgotten to do this, I'd expect the appropriate staffer (presumably someone with the Secret Service, because it involves security) would ask "Where would you like to give your Fourth of July speech, sir?" "The Lincoln Memorial." "Very well, Mr. President, shall I make the arrangements?"

About the only possibility I can think of is that he wants Lincoln, but one of his staff has made some argument for why the Washington Monument is better, and he's too phobic to make a decision.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Associated Press
Will Independence Day festivities be centered around the Washington Monument or shift to the Lincoln Memorial, as the White House has reportedly requested? Will Trump follow through on his plans to give a speech? And, if he does, will the speech be open to anyone, including protesters, or will the White House restrict his audience to supporters at the traditionally nonpolitical event?

The White House hasn’t revealed its plans.
I'm guessing it was a really, really slow news day.

I bet he's already demanded that the statue of Lincoln be removed so that he could sit in the giant chair to give his huge speech.

Trump making a public appearance before a crowd that wasn't vetted, invited, and/or paid? I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:20 PM

It's going to be at the site of the future Trump Monument.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:24 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
It's going to be at the site of the future Trump Monument.
Does Washington DC actually need another sewage treatment plant?
Old 06-12-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
I bet he's already demanded that the statue of Lincoln be removed so that he could sit in the giant chair to give his huge speech.
Well, he's a huge ass, so...
Old 06-12-2019, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But that's one ugly ass balloon I would be happy to see permanently parked in full view of the White House.
That's the Angry Baby Ugly Ass Balloon, to be precise.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
As a non-resident of DC, I ask, what were the last two celebrations like? Did Il Douche stay away?
The White House typically has a picnic sort of affair for invited guests.

https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov...th-white-house

The last couple years, Trump has played golf and then the White House hosted a few hundred-ish staff and families.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
They're probably working on plans to have only the State Media (Fox News) covering the event. No other newspapers or TV. The State Media will report on what Dear Leader wants us to know.
Individual 1 has had his fill of Fox News. He wants to create his own news service.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:08 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
Interesting. Does anyone know if the statue is somehow attached to the giant chair? If we could vacate that chair, there would be BIG BUCKS in letting people sit in it for selfies.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:34 PM

Yeah, but what about the sitting Lincoln statue? Moved off to the side, sitting there on nothing like a glitched out NPC in a video game?
Old 06-12-2019, 05:05 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Giant stool....?
Old 06-12-2019, 05:06 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

^ straight line ^
Old 06-12-2019, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Giant stool....?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
^ straight line ^
^ Thank you ^

Wouldn't that be redundant?
Old 06-12-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
About the only possibility I can think of is that he wants Lincoln, but one of his staff has made some argument for why the Washington Monument is better
Such as the fact that Washington actually had a part in the event being commemorated?
Old 06-12-2019, 08:16 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Sidetracking, and really stupid, but I kind of LIKE the idea that Daniel Chester French sculpted the Lincoln statue independent of the Big Chair, and they just dropped it on there with a crane.

And being able to move it out for, say, Christmas, and put a huge marble statue of Santa Claus in there. And the Easter Bunny. And important heads of state when they pay official visits. Imagine Bibi sitting in there, or Boris Johnson, or Kim Jong-un.

And major movie promotions!
Old 06-12-2019, 09:23 PM

How will Trump pull off a speech on the 4th, anyway? "The great heroes who founded this great country, which liberals have destroyed, aided by the fake news media who are the enemy of the people, but thanks to me the economy is better than it has ever been, the economy is going to the Moon which is a part of Mars..."

Omg. I do think I would tune in for that one. I sincerely hope no one gets hurt though.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
About the only possibility I can think of is that he wants Lincoln, but one of his staff has made some argument for why the Washington Monument is better, and he's too phobic to make a decision.
Washington Monument is more phallic.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2B Comprehensive View Post
Omg. I do think I would tune in for that one. I sincerely hope no one gets hurt though.
Even the speaker? Those rotten eggs and tomatoes being thrown at someone can really hurt.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:13 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
Washington Monument is more phallic.
And at the Lincoln, he would be confronted by his greatest nemesis....stairs.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

And big hands. Abe will make Trump seem extremely inadequate in that department.

I'm not going to bring up the Washington Monument's phallicness.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:07 AM

Trump could sit in Lincoln's chair and finish his speech with, "And that's the truth...Pbbbbbbbbt!"
Old 06-13-2019, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

It's possible Trump will celebrate July 4 by issuing an Executive Order overturning the Declaration of Independence and returning us to England.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:11 AM

He did hit it off with the Queen.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

The scary part about that idea is that it makes sense.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
It's possible Trump will celebrate July 4 by issuing an Executive Order overturning the Declaration of Independence and returning us to England.
Ya know? Given the way things are going here, I might be willing to take him up on that offer. NHS here we come!
Old 06-13-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Even the speaker? Those rotten eggs and tomatoes being thrown at someone can really hurt.
Yeah. I think it is always a bad idea to harm the POTUS, no matter who they are or how bad a job they're doing. I am just no fun like that.

I think this event has the potential to become a riot. Tens of thousands of people who are mostly angry with each other, crowding a poorly planned and organized, should-be-all-American event headlined by a gibbering Russian asset? Could get ugly. Add harm to the POTUS and it is just worse.

Here ends my buzzkill.

Last edited by Try2B Comprehensive; 06-13-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Ya know? Given the way things are going here, I might be willing to take him up on that offer. NHS here we come!
This would be hilarious and awesome. Not least because it would instantly remove Trump and his entire cadre of enablers from power.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbert2 View Post
This would be hilarious and awesome. Not least because it would instantly remove Trump and his entire cadre of enablers from power.
By removing himself and other Republicans from power, Trump could actually succeed in making America great again.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
Trump could sit in Lincoln's chair and finish his speech with, "And that's the truth...Pbbbbbbbbt!"
This post has earned the coveted Dung Beetle's Post of the Day award. Congratulations!