Old 09-10-2012, 10:36 AM

I have a chance to buy a used Taylor Big Baby for $300 (+$30 shipping). Does that sound reasonable?
Old 09-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of a Rich View Post
I have a chance to buy a used Taylor Big Baby for $300 (+$30 shipping). Does that sound reasonable?
They list for $450 new - you are looking at ~30% less. Fine, but not great - $250 would be a truly good deal, IMHO.

I have a regular Baby Taylor AND a Taylor GS-Mini as knockabout travel guitars. When I was checking out the GS Mini, I tried a Big Baby and found I much preferred the GS Mini's tone - sounded more like a balanced, full-sized guitar to my ear. My Baby now sounds positively small vs. the GS Mini and the Big Baby's I tried were just not quite as good as the GS Mini. To my knowledge both the Big Baby and the GS Mini are 7/8 size normal; but the BB is based on a dreadnaught shape and the GS is based on their, well, GS shape - I think it stands for Grand Symphony or something in full sized form...
Old 09-10-2012, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
They list for $450 new - you are looking at ~30% less. Fine, but not great - $250 would be a truly good deal, IMHO.
Actually, that's what I offered, and he came back with the $300.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Then meh. You should try out a GS Mini and if you like it better, go for that...if not, see if the BB is still available...
Old 09-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Looks like you are over on the Acoustic Guitar Forum asking about it, too? I see a thread was started asking the same question. Smart. Ask them if they would prefer a Big Baby or a GS Mini. Right now they usual suspects over there seem to love the GS Mini more...

Last edited by WordMan; 09-10-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Looks like you are over on the Acoustic Guitar Forum asking about it, too? I see a thread was started asking the same question. Smart. Ask them if they would prefer a Big Baby or a GS Mini. Right now they usual suspects over there seem to love the GS Mini more...
Dang it, Wordman, I could keep going up the Taylor food chain but I'm not made of money.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Dang it, Wordman, I could keep going up the Taylor food chain but I'm not made of money.
The HUGE thing right now over on the Acoustic Guitar Forum is "Taylor BTO" - Build to Order. Hugely popular with the Worship Guitar crowd (i.e., who lead songs at church - Taylor has a dominant brand presence there) but also with other Taylor fans. It's their Custom Shop, where you can geek out and specify the design, materials and bling. Costs run up well over $5,000 easily. It's their Cadillac vs. the Big Baby being the Chevy Nova. Taylor really has been effective at positioning their brand across a variety of guitar target markets. Even to the point that Robert Taylor had started a splinter company, R. Taylor, to make very high-end "boutique" acoustics, but I believe they suspended the line because customers were more likely to just by a Taylor BTO.

BTO's are not my cuppa, personally. I prefer to position my guitars as tools, so prefer simplicity in design - I don't even like a bound neck. And BTO's often reflect either the poor taste of the person, or the hype features that are getting a lot of buzz right now, so I will be curious how well the resale ends up being over time.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:14 PM

I'm over here on my Taylor finding out Alice's Restaurant is devilishly hard to play. Who knew? That Arlo sumbitch makes it sounds easy as a diner pie.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:29 AM

Welcoming two new babies into the household...I've been hobbling along on my first $100 electric guitar for far too long and needed an upgrade.

A 2003 Fender Telecaster Slimline...an all-blonde semi-hollowbody that sounds lovely and plays great.

And an impulse that I wasn't planning on getting but couldn't pass up since it was dirt cheap and needed a loving home...A 1968 Teisco EP-8T, some cosmetic wear and tear that needs fixing, but sounds like a rottweiler riding a Harley when it plays.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWB View Post
Welcoming two new babies into the household...I've been hobbling along on my first $100 electric guitar for far too long and needed an upgrade.

A 2003 Fender Telecaster Slimline...an all-blonde semi-hollowbody that sounds lovely and plays great.

And an impulse that I wasn't planning on getting but couldn't pass up since it was dirt cheap and needed a loving home...A 1968 Teisco EP-8T, some cosmetic wear and tear that needs fixing, but sounds like a rottweiler riding a Harley when it plays.
Congrats!

Love those Tele's and that Teisco looks like Jack White would be drooling to play it!
Old 09-29-2012, 11:40 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ps4e11b1db.jpg

New axe day. $80. Think I got a good deal. Pickups are a bit horrible, but that can be fixed.
Handmade, admittedly in china, company was one of those companies that makes _all_ the chinese guitars (Sejung), decided to make their own high end line, discovered it was too expensive and closed it down.

It's a Canvas CTF20. Perfectly bookmatched flamed top. Two point trem, which is interesting. Little heavy, but very comfortable. Not sure how best to describe it. Offset double-cutaway? It's got a 15 or so degree neck angle, no string trees, no dip and curve like a Fender.
In the picture, yes, the E-string had snapped, the strings were at least three years old.

Last edited by E-Sabbath; 09-29-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:17 AM

I haven't read this thread, it's late,I bin drinkin, but I just wanted to throw this in here for inspiration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg47S...eature=related
Warren Haynes
Old 09-30-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Sabbath View Post
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ps4e11b1db.jpg

New axe day. $80. Think I got a good deal. Pickups are a bit horrible, but that can be fixed.
Handmade, admittedly in china, company was one of those companies that makes _all_ the chinese guitars (Sejung), decided to make their own high end line, discovered it was too expensive and closed it down.

It's a Canvas CTF20. Perfectly bookmatched flamed top. Two point trem, which is interesting. Little heavy, but very comfortable. Not sure how best to describe it. Offset double-cutaway? It's got a 15 or so degree neck angle, no string trees, no dip and curve like a Fender.
In the picture, yes, the E-string had snapped, the strings were at least three years old.
Nice, Sabs. I wonder how the finish got rubbed off the top near the chord jack. Lefty playing a right-handed guitar?
Old 10-01-2012, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
Nice, Sabs. I wonder how the finish got rubbed off the top near the chord jack. Lefty playing a right-handed guitar?
I thought it was a light reflection, not a finish issue. Sabs? Either way, very cool and could be fun to tinker with if you are already considering swapping out the pickups.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:43 PM

Light reflection.

And it's a 15 degree headstock angle.

Yeah, I was thinking of this for the neck and mid.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/Bright...nd_p_1514.html

and maybe this for the bridge.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/Bigmou...ion_p_102.html

Visually and sonically distinctive. Going to need to wire the middle out of phase, I believe, for proper Queen sound.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:06 PM

Anyone know of a tab for Little Steven's "Until the Good is Gone", especially the intro? Yeah, I'm too lazy to figure it out myself.

Last edited by Fiddle Peghead; 10-01-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

3-D Printed Guitar

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=268712

Pretty cool!

On the guitar message board where I came across this, I posted:

[50 years in the future]

You know why those early printed guitars are so much more valuable? They used old analog programming and the plastic was stuff you just can't get anymore. No wonder they go for so much these days!!

[/50 years in the future]
Old 10-13-2012, 03:14 PM

Hey, Wordman? Let's say I have a HSS guitar, and I wire it up like this.
http://i.imgur.com/wKSmR.png

Do I want a normal pickup in the middle, or a reverse wound/reverse phase like a normal Strat?
Old 10-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey, Wordman? Let's say I have a HSS guitar, and I wire it up like this.
http://i.imgur.com/wKSmR.png

Do I want a normal pickup in the middle, or a reverse wound/reverse phase like a normal Strat?
If you're asking from a "read the circuit" standpoint, Sabs, I won't be much help. But from a what's typical, I believe that yes, you want a RW/RP middle to work correctly with positions 2&4...I'd think you'd find clarity checking other circuit diagrams from Fender.cim or Seymour Duncan's site...

Last edited by WordMan; 10-13-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:40 AM

Not so much a 'read the circuit' standpoint, more a 'okay, if I plug RW/RP in here, will it work right with a hum in the bridge, or would it be exactly wrong and humreinforce'?
Old 10-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not so much a 'read the circuit' standpoint, more a 'okay, if I plug RW/RP in here, will it work right with a hum in the bridge, or would it be exactly wrong and humreinforce'?
I'm pretty sure you'll be fine; you want the middle pickup to interact with the neck and also the bridge in split-coil mode as normal, which is with an RW/RP.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:02 PM

Got a new amp. Four Force EM-1. Not quite for sale yet, but HelloMusic had it for $119, so I said what the hell, why not. Won Best of Show Summer NAMM. Will retail for $150.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAm0puxwLy8
http://www.fourforce.us/

It's not a tube amp, and it's not a modeling amp, it's an amp that's designed to behave like a tube amp.

Should be interesting!
Old 10-18-2012, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Cool; keep us posted - sounds like a fun experiment.

Guitar Geek Cred alert: I love it when actual music folks are involved in a show about music, and with T-Bone Burnett involved with Nashville, good guitar things happen. Without engaging in plot details, The Little Blonde Tart gave the Band Leader She's Trying to Seduce Over to Her Band a 1938 Martin 00-42 as an...offering. The fact that it was presented that way and they picked a guitar like that...swoon.

I called out a $70,000 value to the TV; when it was given to the Band Leader, he was told to insure it for $50,000. Either way.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:19 AM

So, I just found a pretty cool Epi bass in the attic of house I'm house-sitting. Yeah, I know!

Never played bass before or even held one and I'm wondering how high the action typically is. At say, the twelfth fret. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
So, I just found a pretty cool Epi bass in the attic of house I'm house-sitting. Yeah, I know!

Never played bass before or even held one and I'm wondering how high the action typically is. At say, the twelfth fret. Thanks.
I am not sure, but I would assume that a quick Google on electric bass setup would share a lot of info...

http://bassguitarblog.com/2009/06/se...g-your-action/
http://www.americanmusical.com/ItemF...ass_manual.pdf (this one appears to have measurements)
...you get the idea.

I also would assume that the basic rule of thumb is the same for basses as guitars: make sure the neck relief is set and you have the string gauge you are going to use on the bass installed, then lower the action until it starts gettying buzzy...
Old 10-18-2012, 08:52 PM

Mini humbuckers. Where do they fall on the tone spectrum? Brighter than 'real' humbuckers? Or is it strictly a function of how hot they're wound?
Old 10-19-2012, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Mini humbuckers. Where do they fall on the tone spectrum? Brighter than 'real' humbuckers? Or is it strictly a function of how hot they're wound?
They are real humbuckers. They do tend to be brighter and thinner sounding than your classic PAF-style 'bucker, which is (I assume) what you're calling "real". But they still have the midrange hump that is characteristic of what people think of as the "fat" humbucker sound.

More windings/higher output tend to lower the frequency of the midrange hump: lower output humbuckers sound brighter, higher output sound muddier. Minibuckers are scaled-down PAF-types: they're lower-output than PAF-types, which is why they're usually brighter.

Keep in mind that everything I'm saying here is "typically true" but there are all sorts of variations of and exceptions to the standard.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

I don't have a lot of experience with them.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:55 PM

You've got some, Wordman. Trouble and Blondie both have mini-hums, as does the Creamsicle that's right in your house. GO LOOK AT IT.
http://i.imgur.com/bOXfr.jpg
Trouble and the Creamsicle both have ceramic ones. Blondie, as you may recall from earlier in this thread, has an alnico '59 style. It's certainly warmer than the ceramics, with more complex overtones.

Not as loud as a full size, in my experience, but both of my full size humbuckers are somewhat overwound to start with. But they can both growl when needed.

There's a lot of variation available, from GFS alone.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Mini-Humbuckers_c_126.html
Old 10-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

::smacks forehead:: duh; you're right. My son hasn't been playing it amp'd up while his broken fingertip heals. Yeah - nice tone - humbuckery but brighter. Nice in the Keith Richards neck role...
Old 10-20-2012, 07:14 PM

Thanks for the mini-humbuckery enlightenment, guys.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:58 AM

This is a bit of a bump, but I didn't think my little revelation was worth starting a new thread for.

Playing the acoustic in the kitchen!

Up until yesterday I always plonked myself down on the sofa in the living room. Curtains, carpet soft furnishings... pretty much a dead room. Last night I wanted to keep half an ear on the radio, which is in the kitchen. So I put the old Yamaha on a strap and stood in the kitchen. Tiled floor no curtains and no soft furniture. Bloody hell I can hear myself, it was like having a new instrument.

Go on, try it.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

[Dire Straits]

Down in the tunnel, trying to make it play...

[/Dire Straits]

or singing doo-wop in a tiled bathroom. More bounce and natural reverb. I end up in the kitchen semi-regularly. It's a nicely different room-feel. Agreed on the recommendation.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:43 PM

I've got a breezeway in my house -- about 35 feet long, 10 feet wide, with stucco walls n' ceiling and concrete under. I like to sit in a chair and play my acoustic there some evenings -- the natural reverb is enchanting.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:03 PM

The Four Force arrived. Slightly different from the prototype: it's got sound ports on the side. And it's MUCH BIGGER than I thought.

Does a mean Smoke on the Water.

It's also MUCH LOUDER than I thought. Yow. I'm happy.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:33 PM

Damn, I love the Strat. I love my Les Paul and even my Tele, but when I pick up the Strat, it just feels so right. And the design. Is there anything more beautiful to come out of the last century? Gotta have that maple neck though.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:12 PM

Anyone Have This Amp?

And I love what I'm reading about this amp (25 watts, but loud enough for my music room). Does anyone plau through one of these and what are your observations?

Thanks

Q
Old 01-06-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead
Damn, I love the Strat. I love my Les Paul and even my Tele, but when I pick up the Strat, it just feels so right. And the design. Is there anything more beautiful to come out of the last century? Gotta have that maple neck though.
How'd you get hold of that axe? David, is that you?

Yeah, I've got a real jones to own a good Strat, I never have. Lucky you! But I gotta get rid of some of the nine guitars I have now - most of them not very sellable - before the missus will entertain an expenditure. Anybody want a 1983 Matsumoku Electra x185? Or 2008 Schecter Classic? Or 2010 Fender Jagmaster, the axe my son stopped playing? Or a totally beat to shit, non-original 1971 Gibson SG with poorly done frankenbridge? See what I mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
And I love what I'm reading about this amp (25 watts, but loud enough for my music room). Does anyone plau through one of these and what are your observations?

Thanks

Q
For the money it looks good. It's solid state, so don't expect a distortion tone that'll very authentic, but for clean it probably sounds pretty good. Fender clean tone is awesome.

For the group: isn't a 25-watt solid state amp considerably less loud than say a 15-watt tube amp? I'm not sure this matters to Quasi, since he'd use the amp for home use, and it may even be a plus.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee
For the group: isn't a 25-watt solid state amp considerably less loud than say a 15-watt tube amp?
The problem with comparing tranny amp vs valve amp volume is that you really don't want to overdrive a transistor output stage, it sounds awful. Where an overdriven valve power amp is THE HOLY FRACKING GRAIL!* Another confounding issue is that power ratings are stated at a given level of distortion** say 5%. I may have posted this up thread but standard rock usage of a valve amp doesn't really occur in the low-distortion domain.

Anyhow. 25 transistor watts is plenty for home use.

* Guess who got a pair of Groove Tube EL84s for Christmas

** technically, total harmonic distortion (THD)
Old 01-07-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
For the group: isn't a 25-watt solid state amp considerably less loud than say a 15-watt tube amp? I'm not sure this matters to Quasi, since he'd use the amp for home use, and it may even be a plus.
I own a few biggish solid state amps: a Roland Cube 80XL (80 Watts), and my bass amp, an Ashdown 5-15 mini rig (100 Watts).

I also own a Fender Excelsior valve amp, rated at 13 Watts.

Guess which one is loudest.

SPOILER:
The one with the valves.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:26 AM

...although, to be fair, my bass amp isn't loud in the makes-your-ears-hurt way a guitar amp is loud, but it fills the room with a rich and thick slab of bottom end that is a very beautiful thing.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:54 AM

Here's a chap on Youtube demo-ing a Park Vintage LE (my everyday amp). I tend to drive it quite a bit harder than this guy* How come his Park looks like new? Mine looks like it's been though a third world war?

It's official, there is nothing you can't find on the internet.

* who definitely isn't me BTW (for one thing, I'd be show-boating more)
Old 01-11-2013, 09:11 PM

Welp, the louder you drive my FourForce, the better it sounds. But that's how it goes. Got an iStomp on ebay, waiting for it to show. Busy practicing and soldering up my Canvas. Really screwed it up somewhere, but it looks good. Got to take it apart this weekend.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:53 AM

Somewhat long story, but a friend/colleague/collaborator who collects guitars shares a similar belief with me that once you develop GAS, you are challenged with how to cycle your guitars in and out of "playing rotation"... He has many electric guitars that have taken a back-seat to acoustics, and also has more than one Les Paul...

In short, I am now the proud owner/keeper/player (length of relationship unstated/unknown) of this lovely 2005 Studio Faded Cherry Les Paul. I know it isn't "top of the line, collectors level" Les Paul, but it is the first I have ever had... travelling with it right now, so haven't been home and able to plug it in, but based on the audio clips of the Burstbucker Pick-ups, I cannot wait to hear this through an amp.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:25 PM

I haven't had the time to read through all 55 pages of this thread but I have a question for E-Sabbath. I see that you're a big fan of Justin Sandercoe (sp) as an Internet guitar teacher. Did you learn how to play from his lessons or did you already know how and you're just fond of his work? If you did learn from his lessons, would you mind describing the journey?

As for me, I'm about to turn 50 and as a part of my mid-life crisis, I've decided that I'm finally going to learn how to play the guitar. I bought a MIM HSS Sunburst Strat and an amp loud enough to give my wife a headache. She wanted me to learn on an acoustic but Justin says that an electric is easier to learn to play and I just think they're an order of magnitude cooler. Wish me luck.

I'd love to have real life private lessons but I live waaaaaaaaaay out in the sticks and the closest instructor is at least 60 miles away. I may look into Skype.

Time to practice.

D D D D D D D D D D D D D.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:14 PM

Wife says I can buy another guitar (everyone should have 10!). Budget is $2-3k. Looks like I married the perfect woman.

It also looks like the Gilroy Guitar Center still stocks crap. Off to the city. If Guitar Showcase in SJ didn't have a stunningly ridiculous return policy, I'd be all over shopping for a Fender Custom Shop guitar there. Anybody have a place they like to shop for pricey electrics in the SF Bay area?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wife says I can buy another guitar (everyone should have 10!). Budget is $2-3k. Looks like I married the perfect woman.

It also looks like the Gilroy Guitar Center still stocks crap. Off to the city. If Guitar Showcase in SJ didn't have a stunningly ridiculous return policy, I'd be all over shopping for a Fender Custom Shop guitar there. Anybody have a place they like to shop for pricey electrics in the SF Bay area?
Why not Guitar Showcase, close to you in San Jose?
Old 01-21-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Why not Guitar Showcase, close to you in San Jose?
Their return policy is 3 days, after that it's store credit. Not acceptable. Especially when you're buying a multi-thousand dollar guitar off the rack. I live 30+ miles from the place, and I really have trouble evaluating an instrument in a music store, so it takes a few days. 3 isn't enough. A week I could see, but three days? Maybe GC's 30 day return policy has spoiled me, but I've bought five guitars and two amps from them, and when I've been unhappy they've made things right. I don't get the impression that will be the case with Guitar Showcase, solely (and, maybe unfairly, you tell me) based on that return policy.

Last edited by squeegee; 01-21-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:53 PM

Squeege, does your wife have any sisters?

Just kidding, but man! I thought I had "G.A.S.", but 5 guitars? Got any pics you want to share?

My latest (and my wife says okay as long as it's under $500.00) is this one.

I have the sunburst one, and yes, I know they're knock-offs, but I've been looking for a blue one that style and can't find it, so this will be the next best thing.

Anyway, best of luck finding a reputable dealer to take care of you. Zzounds has always treated me very well, and being that I don't get out much, I like talking music, guitars and drums with them, so to me, they go that "extra mile". I can also charge my purchase and can get it "same as cash" if I pay it off within 90 days. So that's fine with me.

You mentioned my bud E-Sabbath upthread earlier, and I haven't seen him post lately, so E? If you're out there, how 'bout checking in with your pickin' bro?

Thanks

Quasi
Old 01-22-2013, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Their return policy is 3 days, after that it's store credit. Not acceptable. Especially when you're buying a multi-thousand dollar guitar off the rack. I live 30+ miles from the place, and I really have trouble evaluating an instrument in a music store, so it takes a few days. 3 isn't enough. A week I could see, but three days? Maybe GC's 30 day return policy has spoiled me, but I've bought five guitars and two amps from them, and when I've been unhappy they've made things right. I don't get the impression that will be the case with Guitar Showcase, solely (and, maybe unfairly, you tell me) based on that return policy.
Hmm - hadn't realized that; yes that return policy is an issue. Another place with a variety of cool gear is Bananas at Large, but they're North Bay up in San Rafael. I am sure there are some one-off shops closer to you...have you searched on The Gear Page?