Old 01-22-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Hmm - hadn't realized that; yes that return policy is an issue. Another place with a variety of cool gear is Bananas at Large, but they're North Bay up in San Rafael. I am sure there are some one-off shops closer to you...have you searched on The Gear Page?
Hi, WordMan. Thanks for the San Raphael suggestion. I'm not sure I'd go up that far north, but maybe. I'd certainly go as far as San Francisco if I must, and SR isn't much further. Good idea on the Gear Page search; I see some threads on San Francisco store recommendations, nothing further south yet, but I need to try more search terms.

Also GC in San Jose isn't terrible, they have some higher end guitars. It's the Gilroy store that's gone bad; they used to be much better. I'd handled signature Fender models there before, but now they have none, no Strat better than Am Standard, of which they have four total. The Gear Page seems to think well of the San Francisco GC, I'll probably check that out once I've scoured the peninsula.

ETA: Hi, Quasi! Sorry, my spouse has no sisters but five brothers if you lean that way.

Last edited by squeegee; 01-22-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
Wife says I can buy another guitar (everyone should have 10!). [snip]
You mean I gotta get rid of some?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

All good; at the local itty-bitty GC they had a limited Custom Shop Esquire with a great neck for ~$4,000 - so yeah, the small store get the occasional fun stuff.

What kinda guitar are you contemplating? You have a great Tele and I want to say you have an Epi Dot Neck 335 and maybe even a shredder?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
All good; at the local itty-bitty GC they had a limited Custom Shop Esquire with a great neck for ~$4,000 - so yeah, the small store get the occasional fun stuff.

What kinda guitar are you contemplating? You have a great Tele and I want to say you have an Epi Dot Neck 335 and maybe even a shredder?
I have those two; a Schecter that doesn't inspire me but does have a shreddy neck; a 71 SG that's beat to crap that has... issues; a GFS LP Special P90 that I like a lot; an 80's Matsumoku super strat with a too chunky neck; my son's old Squier which I should unload. So actually six, three that I play, three that I need to unload.

I'm a little unclear what I want next. For the longest time my bucket-list guitar was a Les Paul. Recently I played a few and didn't feel like it was a great fit, I'm not sure why; perhaps I haven't met the right one, although since $3k is almost a starter Les Paul, maybe I never will.

I'm leaning toward getting a higher-end Strat if it feels right. Single coils. An American Deluxe like my Tele, or artist strat or one of the custom shop models Fender sprinkles across guitar stores sometimes (no relics need apply). The Am Standards I've picked up don't really grab me, but maybe I haven't met the right one of those, either.

I'd also love my exact Tele but with Duncan PAF humbuckers. But that's not an urgent wish. I just love the PAF bridge tone (Pearly Gates) in my Dot but the C neck is a bit much for me.

Resellability is also a consideration. Nothing too out there. Get a guitar that someone will want to buy from me one day. My Tele is that sort. Most of the rest are not.

TLDR: TBD.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Have you played an ES-339? A smaller-bodied 335 type?

When you say that an LP hasn't moved you- is it because of the ergonomics? Are you saying you may prefer the feel of a Fender type? Or just that you haven't played an LP that spoke to you?

Have you seen a Fender Strat Select? Stratty goodness with an LP-style flamed top - really good looking. I would also check out a La Cabronita, a Custom Shop Tele with Gretsch humbuckers. They bring some LP balls and the first run sold fast and is doing wel in resale. I would also check out higher-grade Gretsch Jets, like the Cadillac Green one - love 'em.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Have you played an ES-339? A smaller-bodied 335 type?
I have not, will do.

Quote:
When you say that an LP hasn't moved you- is it because of the ergonomics? Are you saying you may prefer the feel of a Fender type? Or just that you haven't played an LP that spoke to you?
A little of both. Ergonomically, I haven't felt a LP neck to my liking; I know there are several styles available, but Gibson makes it as obscure as they possibly can which guitar has what neck. I like my AD Tele neck a lot, not perfect, but quite nice. What LP would be like that? I also didn't find one that spoke to me, but you need time to build that relationship, and I've just noodled unplugged in stores for the most part. So far.

Quote:
Have you seen a Fender Strat Select? Stratty goodness with an LP-style flamed top - really good looking.
I've seen the Tele version up close and didn't care for it, too much of a departure. I've only seen the Strat one online, and it is pretty. But my minds eye has a 2 tone sunburst like this. Hell, even a solid color would be fine, I've hefted a couple of Custom Shop painted strats that were soooo fine.

Quote:
I would also check out a La Cabronita, a Custom Shop Tele with Gretsch humbuckers. They bring some LP balls and the first run sold fast and is doing wel in resale. I would also check out higher-grade Gretsch Jets, like the Cadillac Green one - love 'em.
Will do, thank you for the recommendations.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Sure;keep us posted. Play a few LP's, sure, their necks can vary widely. Some rules of thumb, but nothing hard and fast. Tried a VOS/Historic? GC usually has a used one or two pretty regularly in stock. Some of those necks are awful and some are suh-weet...
Old 01-22-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Tried a VOS/Historic? GC usually has a used one or two pretty regularly in stock. Some of those necks are awful and some are suh-weet...
Just to make sure I'm understanding you, do you mean this sort of thing? I'm not sure a used model would fall in my spectrum; am I misjudging the range, or the model you meant, or both? Thanks again for all the replies.

ETA: I tried a 59 VOS at Guitar Showcase. I couldn't really get a bead on it, the strings were almost rusty. And that was after I heard about the return policy and didn't really give a rip, I was just pulling down guitars and noodling, but would never buy any of them there, sigh. A shame when they have such an inventory.

Last edited by squeegee; 01-22-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just to make sure I'm understanding you, do you mean this sort of thing? I'm not sure a used model would fall in my spectrum; am I misjudging the range, or the model you meant, or both? Thanks again for all the replies.

ETA: I tried a 59 VOS at Guitar Showcase. I couldn't really get a bead on it, the strings were almost rusty. And that was after I heard about the return policy and didn't really give a rip, I was just pulling down guitars and noodling, but would never buy any of them there, sigh. A shame when they have such an inventory.
Yes, something like that. I don't try to stay current with models, but that's an "R9" - a replica they say is based on their '59. It is, in many ways, based on a '59, but the '59 (or R9 in online lingo) is a model designation referring to materials and design features used. In the past, they also made R8's - still do, based on my quick check. R8's have a non-flamey "plaintop" and can have a bigger neck profile - and list for $2 grand less and you can find them on sale or used for ~$2,000 or less (yeah, R9's cost that much more for flame-bling and the '59 designation. Sigh.) A buddy got an R8 at the SJ GC for $1,800 a few years ago. Great guitar.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, something like that. I don't try to stay current with models, but that's an "R9" - a replica they say is based on their '59. It is, in many ways, based on a '59, but the '59 (or R9 in online lingo) is a model designation referring to materials and design features used. In the past, they also made R8's - still do, based on my quick check. R8's have a non-flamey "plaintop" and can have a bigger neck profile - and list for $2 grand less and you can find them on sale or used for ~$2,000 or less (yeah, R9's cost that much more for flame-bling and the '59 designation. Sigh.) A buddy got an R8 at the SJ GC for $1,800 a few years ago. Great guitar.
Thanks for clarifying, WordMan, as always. I'm surprised you could get an R8 at that price at GC. I should keep an eye out, although "bigger neck profile" isn't my territory. Does that mean a used R9 is +$2k from that $1800 R8? Yes, I can google etc, but just getting what you meant clear. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying, WordMan, as always. I'm surprised you could get an R8 at that price at GC. I should keep an eye out, although "bigger neck profile" isn't my territory. Does that mean a used R9 is +$2k from that $1800 R8? Yes, I can google etc, but just getting what you meant clear. Thanks.
I haven't been tracking R9 used prices - check the usual spots, GBase and eBay, etc. I would assume that ones in decent shape start around 50% of new price in shops...
Old 01-25-2013, 07:48 PM

Played a Blackie (Fender Eric Clapton Artist Series Signature Stratocaster) today, along with a bunch of others - LPs, ES 339, other strats. Blackie is a really odd guitar. I had it run through a Blues Jr with the amp gain at 2ish, the Fat switch off, and it drove the thing like I had 2 boosts pedals attached and the gain way up, lotsa gain, lotsa drive, from just being plugged straight in sans pedals. I really couldn't get a bead on how you'd keep it under control and play clean. As near as I can tell, Clapton didn't like stomping on pedals, so the guitar itself is a pedal. Anybody have much experience with this guitar? How does one approach it, tone-wise?
Old 01-26-2013, 05:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Played a Blackie (Fender Eric Clapton Artist Series Signature Stratocaster) today, along with a bunch of others - LPs, ES 339, other strats. Blackie is a really odd guitar. I had it run through a Blues Jr with the amp gain at 2ish, the Fat switch off, and it drove the thing like I had 2 boosts pedals attached and the gain way up, lotsa gain, lotsa drive, from just being plugged straight in sans pedals. I really couldn't get a bead on how you'd keep it under control and play clean. As near as I can tell, Clapton didn't like stomping on pedals, so the guitar itself is a pedal. Anybody have much experience with this guitar? How does one approach it, tone-wise?
To my knowledge, that model has a Mid boost - active, i.e., battery powered. That's what I've never understood about Clapton - he made his reputation playing Gibsons, doesn't use a Strat's whammy (he blocks the mechanism so it can't be used), but then has a mid boost on his Strat - so it sounds more like a Gibson. Whatever.

So, yeah, you should be able to dial up or down that boost to tame the overdrive you were experiencing. I think a lot of folks don't use or even disable the boost because they want to use the Strat as a Strat...

ETA: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...oost-kit-25-db

Last edited by WordMan; 01-26-2013 at 05:39 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:26 AM
BANNED

I have a question re: specific guitar sound.

I have Highway One Stratocaster and Fender GDEC-10 amp.

The sound I'm after is guitar sound on Black Keys "Brother" album, specifically songs like "Tighten Up" and "Howlin' For You".

What type of pedal(s) should I put to get closest to it? Thanks...
Old 01-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

IIRC, those songs have guitar tones that are old/cheap guitar, overdriven tube amp, drenched with reverb. Don't know that you need a pedal, but maybe an overdrive if you don't like what you have on the amp.

I'd search on Dan Auerbach's rig: http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-play...uitar-gear-rig

Then go to a Fender amp site - I'm sure there are plenty official and unofficial and search on how to replicate his specific tone, or how to manipulate your amp's settings to replicate the specific parts of his tone...
Old 01-29-2013, 08:08 PM

I am pretty sure I read somewhere. Maybe on this thread. Guys were taking old tube type radios and reworking them into amplifiers. Am I remembering correctly?

I am wondering if an old radio I found was worth anything. It is a Zenith console radio that was built in 1938. All the tubes are there and seems intact. The cabinet is in bad shape but the innards look a bit dusty but not tampered with.

I just wonder if it would be better to try to repair the radio to working order, or sell it to someone that might want to convert it .

I haven't been able to find much info on the thing online. But the model is 9S293 Zenith.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Hmm - don't recall that. I only know amps a bit, so don't know if that specific radio/tubes are desirable. But I am sure there are sites that cover this. Also, Crotalus here in the Dope is doing some tube amp work; perhaps he's come across this.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneop2 View Post
I am pretty sure I read somewhere. Maybe on this thread. Guys were taking old tube type radios and reworking them into amplifiers. Am I remembering correctly?

I am wondering if an old radio I found was worth anything. It is a Zenith console radio that was built in 1938. All the tubes are there and seems intact. The cabinet is in bad shape but the innards look a bit dusty but not tampered with.

I just wonder if it would be better to try to repair the radio to working order, or sell it to someone that might want to convert it .

I haven't been able to find much info on the thing online. But the model is 9S293 Zenith.
Check out this list of results from a Google search. You will find that there are lots of people out there making such conversions. I have no idea if you will find references to your specific radio, but you will find a community of people with lots of knowledge and experience. Good luck.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:07 PM

Thanks guys . I will follow the links.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneop2 View Post

Previous thread.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:48 PM

Please Recommend A Free Online Audible Chord Tutor

Is there such a thing? I know I can go to YouTube and learn chords and their sounds that way, but I wanted to check in with y'all to see what you are using before I download some program with rogue malware.

Okay, what about one which isn't free but is an excellent program?

Either way, I'd like to have something such as this to help me practice. I do have Fretboard Warrior but it's only the program which helps one learn the notes on the fretboard.

Thanks everyone!

Quasi
Old 02-09-2013, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Sorry; I'm not familiar with those. Maybe go to Youtube? I would assume some teachers play chords string by string to hear the notes when they introduce them?
Old 02-09-2013, 07:06 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
Is there such a thing? I know I can go to YouTube and learn chords and their sounds that way, but I wanted to check in with y'all to see what you are using before I download some program with rogue malware.

Okay, what about one which isn't free but is an excellent program?

Either way, I'd like to have something such as this to help me practice. I do have Fretboard Warrior but it's only the program which helps one learn the notes on the fretboard.

Thanks everyone!

Quasi
I like this one - when you want to find out how to play a chord and all its variations and having capo at a certain fret http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/transposer.php

When you want to build a chord you saw someone did on video and you cant guess it - http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/chord_name.php

Hope it helps.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:30 PM

I can always count on my guitar-playing Doper buds to help me out! Thanks for the links, newcomer! I also subscribe to Andy Partridge and Claude Johnson for their free lessons, so this will be a great adjunct!

Quasi
Old 02-10-2013, 01:24 PM

I had no idea that GAS was so contagious. I've only had my Strat for 3 weeks and I've already added an Fender acoustic. This will not end well.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:11 PM

I recently learned that blues shuffle in E (E7, A7, B7). My only problem is muting the strings. I play that with a felt bass pick to help with the muting.

Thanks

Q
Old 02-10-2013, 09:34 PM

I also wanted to add that I have chosen to play the B7 by barring at the 4th fret and putting one finger on the 1st string at the 5th fret. Sure is a lot easier that way, and makes me want to ask you, is it possible to just bar everything?

Thanks

Q
Old 02-11-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nars Glinley View Post
I had no idea that GAS was so contagious. I've only had my Strat for 3 weeks and I've already added an Fender acoustic. This will not end well.
It gets worse if you post online in guitar threads. Trust me on this.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:38 PM

squeege nailed it. Epecially when posters start showing off their axes!

Q
Old 02-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
I also wanted to add that I have chosen to play the B7 by barring at the 4th fret and putting one finger on the 1st string at the 5th fret. Sure is a lot easier that way, and makes me want to ask you, is it possible to just bar everything?

Thanks

Q
With all the various ways to voice and finger chords, I am sure the answer is yes. I play a B your way when I am bulling through Hey Hey by Big Bill Broonzy, a fun E shuffle.

Nars, squeegee is right. Let us know if you have any questions...

As for me, I remain focused on acoustic. Small-bodied Martins like Model 0 and 00 have extra-wide necks - between normal and classical - to provide better string spread for finger-picky stuff. I don't fingerpick patterns - well, except Dust in the Wind - but I have wanted to expand my technique to include fingerstyle- where I put the pick down and use my fingers, but not in a set way - just kinda throw them out there. Jeff Beck and Mark Knopfler both play this way, but obviously very, very differently.

So I have one of those wide-necked Martins and am hacking away - and starting to actually sound fluid. It's fun - and these little guitars are typically only 12 frets clear of the body - vs 14 normally on acoustics - so the bridge is on a different spot on the top and provides a different tone. It's really rich - having fun.

Last edited by WordMan; 02-11-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:56 PM

OMFG, Guitar Fetish has double bound "Telecasters" now. Damn, I've always liked the look of a double-b Tele, but they're really hard to come by from what I've read. Must. Resist.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
OMFG, Guitar Fetish has double bound "Telecasters" now. Damn, I've always liked the look of a double-b Tele, but they're really hard to come by from what I've read. Must. Resist.
Don't you have a Tele - a nice Deluxe or something with a burst finish and the top is bound?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Don't you have a Tele - a nice Deluxe or something with a burst finish and the top is bound?
Yeah, here she is. Love that guitar. But we have an open relationship.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Yeah, here she is. Love that guitar. But we have an open relationship.
If you don't mind my asking, what were you doing to her in the first set of pics?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
If you don't mind my asking, what were you doing to her in the first set of pics?
This? New pickups; I replaced the stock Fender SCN's with a Duncan Jerry Donahue in the bridge and a GFS "Fatbody" (the not-overwound version) in the neck, and changed the pickguard from pearloid to off-white. I was also asking up-thread what the extra hole in the body might be (note the arrow), and the consensus was that that's where they attached the body to an NC jig when it was made.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:51 AM

So there's just an empty hole under the pick guard?
Old 02-12-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
So there's just an empty hole under the pick guard?
Pretty much. It's shallow, maybe 3/8" deep. You can also see that Fender left room for a neck humbucker and a middle pickup, nice of them.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Pretty much. It's shallow, maybe 3/8" deep. You can also see that Fender left room for a neck humbucker and a middle pickup, nice of them.
I guess I never thought about it before but since there's enough room for a humbucker, then the only thing that the pickup attaches to is the pick guard?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I guess I never thought about it before but since there's enough room for a humbucker, then the only thing that the pickup attaches to is the pick guard?
Yup. A Tele neck or middle pickup (where applicable) attach to the pickguard. On a Strat, all pickups are on the pickguard. It certainly makes them easier to work on than, say, this semi-hollow guitar (which came up earlier in the thread). Sadly you have to remove all the bridge saddles and pop off that big bridge plate to get to a Tele bridge pickup, which isn't nearly as convenient.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:40 PM

Well crap. Now I want a Telecaster too. Is it Christmas yet?
Old 02-12-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Well crap. Now I want a Telecaster too. Is it Christmas yet?
Go get one of the GFS ones. I can't vouch for their "Tele", but I have one of their LP Special knock-offs, and like it quite a lot. Decent instrument. Or go get a MIM Tele, $500ish, some are quite good.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:58 PM

Thanks. I'll bookmark that page for future reference.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Nars, squeegee is right. Let us know if you have any questions...
Thanks WordMan, I definetly will. In fact, I'll start with something pretty lame. Do you long time guitarists have any feeling in the fingertips of your fretting hands?

Last edited by Nars Glinley; 02-13-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Go get one of the GFS ones. I can't vouch for their "Tele", but I have one of their LP Special knock-offs, and like it quite a lot. Decent instrument. Or go get a MIM Tele, $500ish, some are quite good.
I picked up one of their XV-820's a year or so ago... great instrument for the price.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Thanks WordMan, I definetly will. In fact, I'll start with something pretty lame. Do you long time guitarists have any feeling in the fingertips of your fretting hands?
I've been playing guitar since about 1980, and boy are my hands tired my fingertips have plenty of touch sensitivity.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Per Shakester, yes, plenty. There was a while - over a decade - where I had thick, peelly calluses - eesh. After this long, they just feel a bit...harder vs. my other hand, but no less sensitive. I can play a few hours at a go before I can tell they'll be sore the next day.

Now, on my picking hand, I'm breaking a new set of calluses in - playing fingerstyle. I play 30 minutes and feel it the next day.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I feel for you, I'm still trying to finish our kitchen remodel and have just found a guitar that I really-really-really-really-need-I-promise-to-walk-and-feed-it-everyday-please....we can live without floor tile, right? Mrs G will understand, right? Guys?
Old 02-18-2013, 06:21 PM

Heh. Mrs. G (if she's anything like Mrs. Q) may go along with it, but if she does, you'd better let her see you using it with a lot of "Thank you, Honey(s)! I'm really enjoying playing my new guitar!" and stuff. I find this gets me my next piece of equipment a lot easier the next time.

=======================

Question guys: I have a Fender G-DEC amp which I really like, but it sure does take a long time to set up the sound I want. I find myself having to make notes.

This song for instance: I have to select the drums, tempo, key, amp and fx, so I am wondering if I shouldn't just get some pedals?

Which do you guys like, pedals or an amp with all kinds of settings?

This is a fun Floyd song to play by the way.

Thanks

Q

Last edited by Quasimodem; 02-18-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:32 PM

Quasi: as far as the G-DEC, I think you can dump/load all those settings via MIDI to another device, like a laptop, and reload it all whenever. And you can save whatever custom sound you make as a preset on the G-DEC itself and call that back up any time, though I think minus the drums and etc. I also understand you can load drum patterns and bass lines via MIDI as well, but I admit I'm a little vague on this.

As far as what I like? I do all the drums and bass and some effects on a computer with Ableton + plug-ins, and I either mic my amp + pedals + add sweetening in Ableton to that, or I'll play direct into the computer into some amp modeling (Guitar Rig 4 mostly) inside Ableton. Great fun.

I have my son's old G-DEC, but I don't really have a use for it or much patience with it's menu system. It does have some damned fun sounds in it, although all the factory presets have way, way too much going on to be very useful. Once you dial those back it's not half bad at all, but it depends what you're going for.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:44 PM

Squeege,

Thanks, buddy! I knew about that "save" setting, just don't use it (yeah, the menu system gets me too) all that often, because I really like to play the song like it's played originally and that takes a LOT of fiddling around.

Also, I brought one of my guitars (the Epi Les Paul) in here where the computer is so that I can practice with the guys that give free lessons, but it sure isn't comfortable. (I know, "bitch, bitch, bitch", right?) I have the piano bench from the keyboard that I sit on, but then when I want to play Warcraft, I have to switch chairs to get comfortable for the next 2 hours or so.

What I would like to do is copy the lessons onto a dvd, and take that into the den which has more room and play/practice over the dvd player.

What's y'all's practice area like?

Thanks!

Q