Old 08-20-2017, 02:09 PM

Yes, it collects all the information about what movies you see and where you see them. That's the entire point. And, unlike virtually every other entity on the Internet that is also collecting information about you, MoviePass is giving you a WHOLE LOT OF VALUE IN EXCHANGE FOR THAT! For a person who sees a different movie every single night, that value is from $7 to $18 a day!

Seriously, this is like spitting in the caviar they just served you because it didn't come with a golden spoon!
Old 08-20-2017, 02:23 PM

Well, it's more like turning down an All-You-Can-Eat Caviar buffet because you don't actually like caviar.

If you watch lots of movies regularly as a single person and have a normal tolerance for transactional interactions with systems and people, then it sounds great.

As it's designed right now, it's just not appetizing: doesn't matter how cheap the caviar is.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasciel View Post
Huh. So I was looking at people saying they couldn't use the card to buy concessions - so how do they know that then? The price? Or just the theatre employee knows it's not for that and has to keep track?
Yeah, it's going to reject anything that does not exactly match the price of a ticket at that theater. Or at least if you do that frequently, they'll cancel your account.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasciel View Post
Well, it's more like turning down an All-You-Can-Eat Caviar buffet because you don't actually like caviar.

If you watch lots of movies regularly as a single person and have a normal tolerance for transactional interactions with systems and people, then it sounds great.

As it's designed right now, it's just not appetizing: doesn't matter how cheap the caviar is.
OK, so you don't like seeing a lot of movies in the theater by yourself. For me and my wife, we each have a cell phone like the vast majority of people in the US and we each see more than one film in the theater a month, it's an amazing deal.

I'm not into amusement parks. I haven't been to one in a decade or two. If someone offered a similar discount to get me into every amusement park in the US every day for less than the cost of a single day's admission, it wouldn't appeal to me.

And, more importantly, I don't think I'd bother to go onto a thread about this theoretical ParkPass and both to say so.

Last edited by gaffa; 08-20-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
Yeah, it's going to reject anything that does not exactly match the price of a ticket at that theater. Or at least if you do that frequently, they'll cancel your account.
That makes sense, thanks!
Old 08-20-2017, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

You know, what the fuck ever. Whether you don't want to join the 21st Century and get a smartphone to able to use an app, or they're not offering a golden spoon with their caviar, forget about MoviePass. For people who DO have a smartphone, and who DO love movies, and who DO have a fairly decent choice of theaters to go to, it's an incredible deal. As I mentioned, I was paying $50 a month and thought it was an amazing deal, for ME. Now it's even more insanely incredible.

Y'all go keep on paying full price, and I'll keep using MoviePass and enjoy it while it lasts.

Since the beginning of the year, I've used MoviePass for 131 documented movies (it's more than that, but if I fall asleep in a movie that I've used MoviePass for, since I get up at 5ungodlyam to go to work, I don't document it). It's been an amazing value for me.

I've seen (stayed awake for) these movies using MoviePass since the beginning of the year:

20th Century Women
47 Meters Down
A Beautiful Accident
A Dog's Purpose
A Ghost Story
A Monster Calls
A Quiet Passion
A Taxi Driver
Afterimage
Aftermath
All Eyez On Me
Anatahan (1953)
Arrival
Atomic Blonde
Baby Driver
Badrinath Ki Dulhania
Band Aid
Bang! The Bert Berns Story
Beauty and the Beast
Before I Fall
Best Worst Thing That Ever Could Have Happened
Bitter Harvest
Blood and Black Lace (1964)
Blue Velvet (1986)
Brave New Jersey
Cars 3
Churchill
Collide
Colossal
Cook Up A Storm
Detroit
Dig Two Graves
Dunkirk
Fight For Space
Fire At Sea
For Here Or To Go?
Get Out
Ghost Of New Orleans
Gifted
God of War
Gold
Grand Illusion (1937)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Harold and Lillian: A Hollywood Love Story
Headshot
I, Daniel Blake
I, Olga Hepnarova
Imperfections
Jeremiah Tower: The Last Magnificent
John Wick: Chapter 2
Julieta
Kedi
Kidnapped (1974)
King Arthur: Legend of the Sword
Kong: Skull Island
Lady Macbeth
Landline (Matthew Aaron film)
Landline (Jenny Slate film)
Life
Live By Night
Logan
Logan Lucky
Lost Highway (1997)
Megan Leavey
Miles Between Us
Mission Control: The Unsung Heroes of Apollo
Moana
My Cousin Rachel
My Life As A Zucchini
Norman: The Moderate Rise and Tragic Fall of a New York Fixer
Oscar Shorts (Animated)
Paint It Black
Patriots Day
Phoenix Forgotten
Raising Arizona (1987)
Rangoon
Rashomon (1950)
Rear Window (1954)
Reservoir Dogs (1992)
Sachin - A Billion Dreams
Saving Banksy
Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (2010)
Shaun of the Dead (2004)
Silence
Singin In The Rain (1952)
Sleight
Some Freaks
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Split
Stop Making Sense (1984)
Strange Weather
The B-Side: Elsa Dorfman's Portrait Photography
The Battleship Island
The Beguiled
The Belko Experiment
The Big Sick
The Black Prince
The Blot (1921)
The Book of Henry
The Dinner
The Eagle Huntress
The Elephant Man (1980)
The Fifth Element (1997)
The Great Wall
The Hero
The Hitman's Bodyguard
The Iron Giant (1999)
The Journey
The LEGO Batman Movie
The Life Of Oharu (1952)
The Little Hours
The Lost City of Z
The Ottoman Lieutenant
The Salesman
The Sea
The Sense of an Ending
The Wall
Things To Come
Tommy's Honour
Toni Erdmann
Tootsie (1982)
Ugetsu (1953)
Under The Skin
Voice from the Stone
War for the Planet of the Apes
Whisky Galore!
Wilson
Wish Upon
Wolf Warrior 2
Wonder Woman

MOVIEPASS PAID FOR ALL OF THOSE! Thank you MoviePass!
Old 08-20-2017, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
Yes, it collects all the information about what movies you see and where you see them. That's the entire point. And, unlike virtually every other entity on the Internet that is also collecting information about you, MoviePass is giving you a WHOLE LOT OF VALUE IN EXCHANGE FOR THAT! For a person who sees a different movie every single night, that value is from $7 to $18 a day!

Seriously, this is like spitting in the caviar they just served you because it didn't come with a golden spoon!
I agree. I would have no problems with the fact that Movie Pass is selling my movie watching data. The discounted movie prices would be well worth it.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equipoise View Post
You know, what the fuck ever. Whether you don't want to join the 21st Century and get a smartphone to able to use an app, or they're not offering a golden spoon with their caviar, forget about MoviePass.
You act like the decision not to have a smart phone is just an issue of being cranky. With me, it's a financial decision. Buying and maintaining a cell phone would cost several hundred dollars. Spending that much money just to save money on movie tickets would be foolish.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

I'll be using MoviePass every night this week too. Tonight for Ingrid Goes West, Monday night for Kill, Baby, Kill (a 1964 Mario Bava movie), Tuesday for Dave Made A Maze, not sure about Thursday, but I will see something. Thankfully the app is working again. I had to pay out of pocket 3 nights in a row. I only submitted reimbursement for one of the three, Logan Lucky, although if newbies hadn't crashed the MoviePass site I could have used it for the other two (but they were cheap, only $6 each since I'm a member at the Gene Siskel Film Center, and I figured MoviePass was getting hammered with reimbursement requests).

It's not that I see a lot of movies because I don't have a life (although I don't). Movies ARE my life!
Old 08-20-2017, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
You act like the decision not to have a smart phone is just an issue of being cranky. With me, it's a financial decision. Buying and maintaining a cell phone would cost several hundred dollars. Spending that much money just to save money on movie tickets would be foolish.
I understand, but it really doesn't have to cost as much as maybe you think it does.

I bought an unlocked Android G4 Play last year at Best Buy for $180something, but you can buy an unlocked Android phone online for much cheaper.

I use MintSim and pay $99.00 every 3 months for unlimited phone and text, and 5gb data, but there are lots of different plans.

But if you can't, you can't. I do understand, but there's no way MoviePass can work without an app, so you'll just have to forget about it for now.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:03 PM

Equipoise I mean this is the nicest possible way but I think you and I are on the furthest apart extremes of the movie-watching public. I honestly don't think I COULD watch that many movies since January, even counting watching stuff at home.

I watch movies with big groups of people, mostly as a social thing. We get together and decide ahead of time what we are all willing to see together and we've all always got someone who is short on cash or someone who owes someone back for something else, and some people have child-care issues or weird late shifts at work, so we're always having one person just buy everyone's tickets ahead of time and we sort it out later.

Bottom line is that I'm into movies as a social scene, and this isn't really set up to be social the way my group of friends handles things. I answered what I thought they could change to make me interested, and I'm sure some of my friends have gotten it or are going to get it and they'll think it's great too!

It just seems like those of you who it does work very well for are being a little 'crossfit-y' about the fact that it's not going to fit everyone's lifestyle or be quite as good a deal for everyone. The thread asked for opinions, and I honestly don't think that my concerns about it are threadshitting, nor are they meant that way. I'm not trying to convince anyone NOT to use it, just trying to explain why I'm probably not going to myself.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
If your income is really that low, you might qualify for "Lifeline Service" (often called an "ObamaPhone" even though the program started under George W. Bush.)
Old 08-20-2017, 08:53 PM

I'm in agreement with AMC. This is the kind of scammy, manipulative operation that we don't need any more of in our economy.

Instead of doing something that adds actual value, it's trying to amass power so it can run a protection racket on the movie theaters later.

And I'm more than sick of the endless attempts to data mine people so that we can be sold to more effectively. In this case, I don't even think it's possible to get an amount of information valued anywhere near the massive loss leader they are running with the price discount.

For those who find value in the service, cool. Enjoy it while it lasts. It does sound like a great deal.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeschines View Post
I'm in agreement with AMC. This is the kind of scammy, manipulative operation that we don't need any more of in our economy.

Instead of doing something that adds actual value, it's trying to amass power so it can run a protection racket on the movie theaters later.

And I'm more than sick of the endless attempts to data mine people so that we can be sold to more effectively. In this case, I don't even think it's possible to get an amount of information valued anywhere near the massive loss leader they are running with the price discount.

For those who find value in the service, cool. Enjoy it while it lasts. It does sound like a great deal.
As I mentioned earlier, two large theater chains in the UK have an unlimited program. Each is charging 17.99 per month, so there is a business model.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You know, what the fuck ever.

MOVIEPASS PAID FOR ALL OF THOSE! Thank you MoviePass!
You seem...well...let's say...emotionally invested in this discussion...perhaps a bit much...
Old 08-20-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
As I mentioned earlier, two large theater chains in the UK have an unlimited program. Each is charging 17.99 per month, so there is a business model.
That's not the same thing. That's the movie theaters deciding (wisely or foolishly) to sell *their own* product at a specific price (that also doesn't sound crazy-low to me). And the movie theater knows that the buyer is coming to their chain only and can possibly spend further money there on concessions, bring friends, etc.

Moviepass is selling *someone else's* product at a ridiculously low price, and that's access not to one chain but to *most* chains.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid View Post
You seem...well...let's say...emotionally invested in this discussion...perhaps a bit much...
Yes. I love MoviePass. Why is that a problem?
Old 08-20-2017, 10:06 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Yes. I love MoviePass. Why is that a problem?
Only that some of your posts are coming across as kind of angry at that those of us who are expressing why we don't think it's such a great idea for our own moviegoing habits. It works great for you -- more power to you! But, not everyone sees movies the way you do, or likes some of the features of it.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Buying and maintaining a cell phone would cost several hundred dollars.
Quote:
I understand, but it really doesn't have to cost as much as maybe you think it does.

I bought an unlocked Android G4 Play last year at Best Buy for $180something, but you can buy an unlocked Android phone online for much cheaper.

I use MintSim and pay $99.00 every 3 months for unlimited phone and text, and 5gb data, but there are lots of different plans.
Maybe I'm missing something. I said buying and maintaining a smart phone would cost several hundred dollars.

You implied I didn't know the real costs. And then explained how I could buy and maintain a smart phone for $576. How is that different from several hundred dollars?

Quote:
If your income is really that low, you might qualify for "Lifeline Service" (often called an "ObamaPhone" even though the program started under George W. Bush.)
No, I'm not poor. I could afford a smart phone if I chose to.

But I'm not wealthy either. I don't have enough money to buy everything. If I did I wouldn't be worrying about the cost of movie tickets. I make choices about what I want to spend my money on. And $576 is more than I want to spend on a smart phone, which I wouldn't use all that much.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Maybe I'm missing something. I said buying and maintaining a smart phone would cost several hundred dollars.

You implied I didn't know the real costs. And then explained how I could buy and maintain a smart phone for $576. How is that different from several hundred dollars?
You didn't quote my first post on that, which was:

Currently I'm using a Motorola Moto G4. It's more than I wanted, but my previous one broke, and Best Buy didn't stock the cheaper ones in-store. If you buy on-line, you can get the Moto E4 for $129.

Then you can put a SIM card from all these different carriers that resell service from the big four. I'm currently using a company called MintSim that resells T-Mobile. Like every other business, they have their lowest price for new customers, but you can buy a year's worth of service - unlimited talk and text and 2 gigabytes of data a month - for $180, working out at a cost of $15 a month.

$129+$180 for a year's worth of service comes out at $309. 2 gigs of data, as opposed to the 5 gigs Equipoise mentioned.

Even just considered as a tool to allow you to use MoviePass, it can save you money in the end.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Had some weird problems during signup. Signup from my phone wouldn't work right - paypal weirdly rejected my password (even thouhg I double checked it was correct on my PC), after entering my CC info into the app the "finish" button was grayed out.... I figured out that using an incognito tab would let me sign up on PC. Very strange all around.

So anyway, I sign up on PC, log in on my phone, it defaults to the theaters tab on the app. There are no theaters. On the bottom it says "Want to see more theaters? Request movie pass card"

Okay, so basically it's going to stay empty until I get the card and activate it. But just because it was a weird clusterfuck to sign up I want to make sure - they're sending me the card now just from signing up, right? I don't have to use that link within the app to specifically request a card.

And not seeing movie theaters in the app until I get my card is normal?

Last edited by SenorBeef; 08-21-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
Had some weird problems during signup. Signup from my phone wouldn't work right - paypal weirdly rejected my password (even thouhg I double checked it was correct on my PC), after entering my CC info into the app the "finish" button was grayed out.... I figured out that using an incognito tab would let me sign up on PC. Very strange all around.

So anyway, I sign up on PC, log in on my phone, it defaults to the theaters tab on the app. There are no theaters. On the bottom it says "Want to see more theaters? Request movie pass card"

Okay, so basically it's going to stay empty until I get the card and activate it. But just because it was a weird clusterfuck to sign up I want to make sure - they're sending me the card now just from signing up, right? I don't have to use that link within the app to specifically request a card.

And not seeing movie theaters in the app until I get my card is normal?
The card is tied to a particular zip code. Probably a leftover from when they had different prices depending on your location.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:41 PM

It's not clear if the Moviepass app actually requires a cellular plan to work. You can buy an old simple Android phone for really cheap, and it'll run apps and work on wifi, so there might be a very low-budget way to make this work.

I would jump on this if I had time to go to the movies any more. What a deal!
Old 08-22-2017, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus(:3= View Post
It's not clear if the Moviepass app actually requires a cellular plan to work. You can buy an old simple Android phone for really cheap, and it'll run apps and work on wifi, so there might be a very low-budget way to make this work.

I would jump on this if I had time to go to the movies any more. What a deal!
If I'm understanding correctly how this works, you'd need to have public wifi available at or near the theater for that to work.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

There was a game changer today.

I mentioned how my favorite discount movie theater closed last February. Well, they've just re-opened this week. So I now have an option for watching movies cheaply that doesn't involve Movie Pass.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
If I'm understanding correctly how this works, you'd need to have public wifi available at or near the theater for that to work.
That's true, but that still might work for lots of theaters. Lots of theaters are surrounded by other commercial interests like coffee shops that have public wifi.

If you are seriously budget-constrained on paying for a smartphone plan, it really only matters if the one or two theaters you go to regularly will work.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I'm not into amusement parks. I haven't been to one in a decade or two. If someone offered a similar discount to get me into every amusement park in the US every day for less than the cost of a single day's admission, it wouldn't appeal to me.

And, more importantly, I don't think I'd bother to go onto a thread about this theoretical ParkPass and both to say so.
You don't think people should go onto a thread titled Looking for opinions and information on Movie Pass and give their opinions on Movie Pass?
Old 08-23-2017, 01:39 PM

Smart phones cost like $30 if you get a cheap one. These are for prepay, so you'd either need to buy minutes or use Lifeline (Obama phone provider) and a Tracphone phone--if you're poor enough to qualify for them.

I'm not saying you can afford that, Little Nemo. I'm just saying that hundreds of dollars is way too much for what they cost now. My dad's phone was a bit spiffier for $40, plus $50 a month for his plan, which he can cancel at any time.

And, since I gave my mom my Obama phone (since I don't use it), I'm actually considering getting her a cheap smart phone instead, just so she can make the text bigger and text more easily.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:21 AM
Charter Member

Alright, so my card didn't come until this week - apparently their demand was crazy - but I ended up using it the other day. Super simple, just enter the last digits of the card on the app and you're good to you. You go to the theater, reserve the screen time, then just pay for the ticket normally. You don't do the receive reserved ticket option - they're not reserving the ticket for you through the app, they're just putting the $11 on the debit card so you can pay for the ticket normally. Super easy. Although I wish you could buy tickets online - we go to a theater that tends to fill up on popular movies and has reserved seating - so it's way easier to reserve seats online rather than having to show up physically at the theater several hours before the movie to buy tickets at their kiosks then come back later. But the app requires you to actually be at the theater to do this.

I guess the normal evening ticket price for nicest theater near me is $11.75 - so they've already lost $1.75 on me this month and will lose more. I kinda feel bad if I see too many movies, but I mean, I guess the investors wanted this and I'm seeing movies on venture capital's dime. If the movie theaters hold out on them they're going to run out of capital at some point so enjoy it while it lasts.

2 questions about the app: every time I open the app it makes me log in again. Is there some sort of stay logged in option, or is this happening to everyone else too?

When they show two listings of a movie at the same theater, what does that mean? And I don't mean imax or 3d vs regular, because they automatically gray out the imax/3d showings.

For instance, IT might have a listing like this

IT

7:40, 8:10, 10:10, 10:40

IT

6:45, 7:00, 7:15, 9:15, 10:00, 10:15

Clearly they're not just showing one entry for each screen showing the movie, because there are overlapping showtimes in there. But when you click on any of the showtimes it doesn't list them as being different in any way.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:01 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
I'm aware of the AMC complaints. (It was, in fact, a story about those complaints that made me aware of Movie Pass.) I'll admit I don't understand why AMC is unhappy. From what I've read, Movie Pass pays the movie theaters the full cost of the tickets. You'd think AMC and other theaters would be delighted to get more customers, collecting full ticket prices from everyone, and having more people to sell snacks to.

I'm also wondering how Movie Pass can sustain this system. Is it like a gym membership, where they're hoping people will buy the membership and then not get around to using it? Or is the current price a loss leader to get people to sign up and get into a habit of going to movies and then they'll raise the membership fees back up to a higher rate?

Finally, there's the app issue. I'm behind the times and I don't own a phone that does apps. So I don't know if I can even use Movie Pass.
I saw an article that claims when movie tickets are 'free' that people buy 120% more concession items.

Also they are collecting people's personal data to sell to advertisers.

However I went to a movie for the first time a few nights ago with it, the cost of a single ticket was the same as the cost of my monthly subscription.

I figure if I watch 2-3 movies a month, it'll be worth it. But even that is hard to justify. I don't know if 2-3 new releases a month are worth it to me. I have endless entertainment options at home.

I'm still expecting the company to go bankrupt or jack up prices in a few months. I won't use mine too much, but I'm still going to get more than $10/month out of it. Some people are going to see 10+ movies a month with it.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

Ha, or so. Out of the 27 movies I've seen in September so far, MoviePass paid for 14 of them.

SenorBeef, mine does that too, multiple listings of the same movies, but with different showtimes. It started doing that since the Great Crash. It doesn't mean anything that I can tell.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:20 PM

I'm still waiting to receive the goddamn card. I signed up on Aug 17.

They have zero customer service. I wonder if I will even get to use the thing once before the company goes out of business.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
I'm still waiting to receive the goddamn card. I signed up on Aug 17.

They have zero customer service. I wonder if I will even get to use the thing once before the company goes out of business.
Please tell me that they have waived the monthly fee until you receive the card.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Eyed Girl View Post
Please tell me that they have waived the monthly fee until you receive the card.
They charged the first month immediately upon signing up. Supposedly they are not going to charge the second month until one month after I finally get the card activated. (So if the card arrives Oct 1, the next billing date should be Nov 1.) I have my doubts, as this is perhaps the shoddiest run company I have ever had business with, and if I get charged again this week I will be filing a complaint with my credit card company.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:21 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
Ha, or so. Out of the 27 movies I've seen in September so far, MoviePass paid for 14 of them.

SenorBeef, mine does that too, multiple listings of the same movies, but with different showtimes. It started doing that since the Great Crash. It doesn't mean anything that I can tell.
I've looked at movies, I can't think of any I really want to see until 'happy death day' comes out next month. American made with Tom Cruise may be worth seeing though.

I worry I will not be able to find the 2-3 movies a month I need to justify the cost. Since I have endless thousands of movies and TV shows available to me at all times at home, it is hard to find something that justifies going to a theater, sitting through 20-30 minutes of ads, and not being able to pause the movie at will that feels it is better than what I can get at home.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 09-18-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
I've looked at movies, I can't think of any I really want to see until 'happy death day' comes out next month. American made with Tom Cruise may be worth seeing though.

I worry I will not be able to find the 2-3 movies a month I need to justify the cost. Since I have endless thousands of movies and TV shows available to me at all times at home, it is hard to find something that justifies going to a theater, sitting through 20-30 minutes of ads, and not being able to pause the movie at will that feels it is better than what I can get at home.
This.

Also, the snacks I like to have while watching movies are not the snacks concession stands usually carry. The last few times I went to a movie, I brought in my own drinks and snacks (thank you, Trader Joe's!). I might reconsider doing this if they'd branch away from candy, soda, and shitty popcorn with fake butter and give me real food like almonds, cheese and salami, and quality ginger ale or unsweetened, lightly flavored sparkling water. And beer. Theatres should have good microbrews.

Last edited by Brown Eyed Girl; 09-18-2017 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Beer.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:51 PM

Oh this is most definitely a service I would take full advantage of, especially in the coming months when all the potential Oscar nominees gets released. But this major fuckup of how they are sending out the cards is leaving quite a bad taste in my mouth with regards to how the company is being run. I don't expect them to be around in 2018.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:48 PM

So I finally received the card on September 28.

Now that I have it, I've used it twice so far and each time has worked smoothly! I used it at a major AMC theater ("American Made") and a small independent movie house ("Loving Vincent") and both times had no issues.

I don't know if they finally fixed all the shipping errors so new sign ups will receive their cards quickly or not, but I can confirm that once you do have the card, it works exactly as stated, with my next billing date being October 30 (the original fee I paid on Aug 17 is being used for the month of October.)
Old 10-29-2017, 05:23 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Someone was telling me about Moviepass, and I'm thinking of signing up. The website does show me the Honolulu theaters without an account yet, so I guess that's fixed. I don't have a smartphone, but the wife does, so we can probably use hers. (At least, I don't think mine's a smartphone. It's better than the 2G I used for years in Thailand, and I can use the Internet, but it's not a fancy one like the wife's.) We don't watch movies nearly as often as we did back in Bangkok, but we do go often enough that this would be worth it. As with everything else in Hawaii, movies are expensive.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

I think you need one smartphone per account. I don't know if there's some sort of double account available.
Old 10-30-2017, 01:33 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Our neighbor thinks you don't need a smartphone now. She just signed up her brother on the mainland, and he doesn't have one. He's supposed to get some sort of card. What would the smartphone be needed for if you have a card?
Old 10-30-2017, 01:48 AM

You need both a smart phone and the card.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:12 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Hmm. I'll mention this to my neighbor. She signed up her brother because she thought the card alone was needed. She said he doesn't have a smartphone.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Hmm. I'll mention this to my neighbor. She signed up her brother because she thought the card alone was needed. She said he doesn't have a smartphone.
He needs to have a smartphone to log into a showing at the theater, which will then load the funds onto the card. Just having a card with no phone is useless. His card will stay at $0 with no way to actually use it.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:24 PM

Finally met someone I know personally who has the card and as someone who (a) sees a ton of films in the theater--206 features so far this year--, and (b) usually goes to movies by himself, it certainly sounds like it's worth investigating. Will sign up today and expect to have the card in hand by the time I get back from my Thanksgiving family trip, primed for the Oscar bait/holiday season.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:11 PM
Elephant Whisperer

I signed up last week and paid my first payment of $9.95. If it works out, I'll get one for the wife too.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:29 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
I signed up last week and paid my first payment of $9.95. If it works out, I'll get one for the wife too.
I tried it the other day, and it paid for itself the first time. $9.95 for my first monthly installment and got a $16 recliner seat at the theater. So we've ordered one for he wife.

But this is annoying. Unlike me, she has an iPhone, and that iPhone is registered in Thailand, where she purchased it. So she can't download the Movie Pass app, because she can obtain apps only from the Thai apps store, and Movie Pass is not there. It looks like I can use my app for both accounts to check in though.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 11-26-2017 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I tried it the other day, and it paid for itself the first time. $9.95 for my first monthly installment and got a $16 recliner seat at the theater. So we've ordered one for he wife.

But this is annoying. Unlike me, she has an iPhone, and that iPhone is registered in Thailand, where she purchased it. So she can't download the Movie Pass app, because she can obtain apps only from the Thai apps store, and Movie Pass is not there. It looks like I can use my app for both accounts to check in though.
That's the fault of Apple, not MoviePass.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:56 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
That's the fault of Apple, not MoviePass.
Yes, I know. We're working on that.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It looks like I can use my app for both accounts to check in though.
Is this true, because the only thing holding me back is that I need 3 accounts, one for me and one for each of the kids, and the kids don't have smartphones