Old 05-29-2019, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

We arent the only ones who hate it:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Commercials...ty_commercial/

http://www.commercialsihate.com/emga...opic27551.html
Old 05-29-2019, 02:19 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

I haven't had this many responses to something I said here since 24 went off the air.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
Gag, I was going to post this one too. The girl is way too old; if she was three years old it might make sense, but the girl in the ad is too enthusiastic about playing pirates.
Meh, my and my family would play "stuff with us in it" well past that age. Like Army, or made up stories or whatever. Mom playing all day with her daughter is a bit much, but the girl wanting to play make believe, fine and dandy.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
I'm getting a chuckle out of mixdenny's interpretation of the stomach drug. Her bandmates are like, "OMG, does this crazy bitch gotta shit again?"
Her band mates seem much more sympathetic than you, realizing it's a medical condition.

My problem with that commercial is that they are the 1 song band. It's one thing to only show them rehearsing one song. But then they go to their concert, and after a tense moment and the lead singer shows up on time, they perform their one song, then take their bows, then leave in their camper. And who set up and tore down all the stage, gear, etc? They have roadies? Then they go to another concert at a club and do their one song again.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:33 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
My problem with that commercial is that they are the 1 song band. It's one thing to only show them rehearsing one song. But then they go to their concert, and after a tense moment and the lead singer shows up on time, they perform their one song, then take their bows, then leave in their camper. And who set up and tore down all the stage, gear, etc? They have roadies? Then they go to another concert at a club and do their one song again.
I don't remember the specifics of the commercial, but is it possible they were there as part of a festival, so there are other bands performing too? That seems like the logical explanation to me, unless I'm forgetting something.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Her band mates seem much more sympathetic than you, realizing it's a medical condition.

Hey, I'm not the one who thought she was taking mood altering drugs.

Also, it seems you expect a lot from a 30 second commercial. They only film the parts that are relevant to the point they are trying to make for the product they are trying to sell, not make a documentary on what happens when you give a concert.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:54 PM

Here is a link to the migrainy pirate.

mmm
Old 05-30-2019, 11:57 PM

There's a commercial for Phoenix University, with a boy reading about a dragon learning to fly, and the on-screen parallel to his mother getting a degree and a better job. All fine, as far as it goes, until the final shot of the boy looking with what I imagine is supposed to be admiration and love at his mother. Instead he looks as if someone has told him "Smile, or I'll kill your puppy." OK, bad child actors on commercials are to be expected, but as the last thing you see, it sure puts me off the product (if I weren't already).

Here is the commercial, the face is at 0:55.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Oh, that explains it!

I'm getting a chuckle out of mixdenny's interpretation of the stomach drug. Her bandmates are like, "OMG, does this crazy bitch gotta shit again?"
I have no idea what Chron's disease is! I must say she looked remarkably calm sitting off stage instead of running for the ladies room.

Dennis
Old 05-31-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Also, it seems you expect a lot from a 30 second commercial. They only film the parts that are relevant to the point they are trying to make for the product they are trying to sell, not make a documentary on what happens when you give a concert.
This is a thread bitching about a lot of stupid stuff in commercials. My stupid stuff is just as valid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixdenny View Post
I have no idea what Chron's disease is! I must say she looked remarkably calm sitting off stage instead of running for the ladies room.
You mean where she has that distressed look on her face, is offered food, and gets up and shuffles off screen? Or when she's singing, stops, and says "I'll be right back" as she leaves the studio?

Crohn's disease
Old 05-31-2019, 05:54 PM

This commercial for Clif Bar shows a man apparently regurgitating his Clif Bar into a baby eagle's beak.

https://youtu.be/lQdQHcM5yb8

"It's not gross, it's nature." No, dude, it's gross, even if the eagle isn't real.

Last edited by cochrane; 05-31-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBG View Post
Unless you're talking about a very different ad, that's definitely not her, for instance, your link refers to the subject as able to play "racially ambiguous" and the one in the Humira commercial is most definitely not ambiguous, she's white. (or looks white anyway, I suppose there are people of mixed heritage that "look white" but you'd have to be told to know they "weren't white")

Anyway, the Humira girl with the poopy problem boyfriend, looks to be college age or slightly older, some where in the early or mid 20's would be where I'd wager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Well, then, that's point 2, "2) the ad was correctly credited." Because the iSpot TV ad (linked above) lists her as the actor.

It looks like there's another new (?) Humira ad that I think answers the question of who the actress is. The original ad at ispot.tv lists both Chelsea Carbaugh, who is being referenced in the above quotes, and Stevie Steel. It's the latter who is in that commercial, but the new commercial has both of them. Stevie is at 0:51 in the new Citrate Free commercial, and I think it's Chelsea at 1:00 (even though neither are listed at at that link. I'm not trusting ispot identifying the right people!
Old 06-05-2019, 06:18 PM

Now the Arby's sandwich guy is singing!

https://youtu.be/1EAEHYER0zs
Old 06-05-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt View Post
It looks like there's another new (?) Humira ad that I think answers the question of who the actress is. The original ad at ispot.tv lists both Chelsea Carbaugh, who is being referenced in the above quotes, and Stevie Steel. It's the latter who is in that commercial, but the new commercial has both of them. Stevie is at 0:51 in the new Citrate Free commercial, and I think it's Chelsea at 1:00 (even though neither are listed at at that link. I'm not trusting ispot identifying the right people!
There's an acting profile for a "Stevie Steel" from NY ( I think it is her) that says she's 32(!).
Old 06-05-2019, 07:07 PM

Downy

Couple on a first date at a nice-ish restaurant. He compliments her: you look pretty/nice (she has on a dress).

She looks at the guy who has just taken off his sweater, and he has a t-shirt on. She is annoyed and tells him he looks amazingly casual.

Now, apparently the problem is that the neck is all stretched out, but unless your first date is some physical activity, who the hell wears a t-shirt and nothing else? I don't think she would have been impressed with his sartorial sense even if the shirt not stretched out.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:09 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Amazingly comfortable. She was doing her best to be diplomatic. Not that he deserves it.

Didn't he even look at his shirt before putting it on?

I'm clueless but not that clueless.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
Downy

Now, apparently the problem is that the neck is all stretched out, but unless your first date is some physical activity, who the hell wears a t-shirt and nothing else? I don't think she would have been impressed with his sartorial sense even if the shirt not stretched out.
Oh yes, I agree. And a V-neck T shirt to boot? What a buffoon.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

What bothers me about the guy on a first date wearing the crappy, stretched-out t-shirt is did it not occur to him to look in a mirror? Yes, he probably should have worn something a tad nicer than a t-shirt but you can buy a cheap new one for about ten bucks.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
There's a commercial for Phoenix University, with a boy reading about a dragon learning to fly, and the on-screen parallel to his mother getting a degree and a better job. All fine, as far as it goes, until the final shot of the boy looking with what I imagine is supposed to be admiration and love at his mother. Instead he looks as if someone has told him "Smile, or I'll kill your puppy." OK, bad child actors on commercials are to be expected, but as the last thing you see, it sure puts me off the product (if I weren't already).

Here is the commercial, the face is at 0:55.
I don't know if it's the same kid, but it's definitely the same face as the one on the kid in the diamond commercial where the guy is asking the kid's permission to marry his mom. It's like they didn't want to pay an extra couple hundred bucks to throw the kid one line instead of just having him stand there grinning like a mute idiot.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

We made you Princess Toast!
And Mom has no idea what's in Princess Toast because she's too lazy and uncaring to look down at the plate.
Old 06-08-2019, 01:16 PM

"I'm not picking them up. Well, I'm not picking them up. I will because my heinie's clean!!"

Arrggghhhh
Old 06-08-2019, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
"I'm not picking them up. Well, I'm not picking them up. I will because my heinie's clean!!"

Arrggghhhh
The bears are all naked. When do they wear underwear?
Old 06-08-2019, 02:08 PM

Morning Star veggie burger commercials-- "since I'm a kid. . ." these burgers can taste like cow patties covered in neon sugar crust and grown ups will be all-- (grown man eating burger): (i)orgasmic burger munching.(/i]

Maybe if the kid was a better actress. . ..
Old 06-10-2019, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

That Armor All commercial with the Vikings. WTF is up with that? At the end it looks like the one "Viking" (not Torvald, or whatever the name is) is having a bowel movement.

Last edited by Morgyn; 06-10-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:41 PM

hey, Smirnoff, when you have your commercials about snappy synchronized boozing you need a disclaimer on how drinking alcohol on public beaches, is illegal in most places ...

Especially in la and orange county ca
Old 06-11-2019, 01:06 PM

There's a Popeyes commercial where a couple is having a picnic and the guy asks if the girl has tried some chicken-based product and she says "That's literally the only reason I'm here. Because you're sweet, but they're hot and sweet."

I can't even count the ways that I can't even over this commercial. First, you need Big Bang Theory levels of social cluelessness to say that to a person (unless you're teasing, which the commercial makes clear she isn't). Second, who the hell whores themselves out on a date for five dollars worth of fast food chicken wings? And third, why would you even go that direction in a commercial? "Popeye chicken wings, the perfect picnic food for horrible women and wussy guys?"
Old 06-11-2019, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Am I the only person who wonders what horrible accident the guy in the Keeps commercial was in that makes his entire head so misaligned? I've seen broken noses, but his entire head appears to have been Rubik's cubed just a little.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Commercials featuring "Mayhem" are usually good but this is way off the mark.

I said it's way off the mark.

Oh, shaddup, Mr. What.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Commercials featuring "Mayhem" are usually good but this is way off the mark.

I said it's way off the mark.

Oh, shaddup, Mr. What.
Yeah! I always wondered what was up with all the 'what's in that commercial. Also don't understand the Viking oil (car wax?) commercial mentioned above. Why would I want mentally challenged cosplayers protecting my car?
Old 07-01-2019, 04:52 PM

The new Ford truck commercial with We Will Rock You. OK, great song, classic rock anthem. But I have to question their choice of the verse from the song.

You got blood on your face, you big disgrace

How is that supposed to motivate people to buy a truck?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/oovV/ford-f-...ng-by-queen-t1
Old 07-01-2019, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Oh yay, Toyota has joined Liberty Mutual with their own ad featuring hideously deformed leg muscles. XP
Old 07-01-2019, 05:30 PM

I get most of my commercials via radio. There's currently a commercial that sounds like some sort of summer blockbuster/thriller... until you get to the very end, where apparently a Blue Cross card will protect you from all sorts of unspecified terrible things.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

This commercial for an investment firm is the very definition of annoying. It consists almost entirely of people calling out the character's name. ("Kevin." "Kevin." "Kevin." "Kevin." "Kevin." "Kevin." "Kevin." "Kevin." "Kevin." "Kevin." "Kevin." "Kevin." "Kevin." "Kevin." "Kevin." "Kevin.")
Old 07-02-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
Am I the only person who wonders what horrible accident the guy in the Keeps commercial was in that makes his entire head so misaligned? I've seen broken noses, but his entire head appears to have been Rubik's cubed just a little.
Part of it is he is wearing his hat just a little crooked, so the bill doesn't quite align with his face. And he's just ever so slightly cocked to the right (left of screen). But the nose really looks wonky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
The new Ford truck commercial with We Will Rock You. OK, great song, classic rock anthem. But I have to question their choice of the verse from the song.

You got blood on your face, you big disgrace

How is that supposed to motivate people to buy a truck?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/oovV/ford-f-...ng-by-queen-t1
Ad people don't check song lyrics well. That sample talks about being a "young man, hard man" and going to take on the world. I'm sure that's all they pulled out of that bit of lyrics, if they paid even that much attention. Because that part of the song is actually about some up-and-comer trying to take on The Champions of the World. We will rock you.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:53 PM

I get a kick out of the editing of that commercial for that 'Ozempic' drug.

Throughout the ad they use the first part of the chorus of ELO's 'Oh Oh It's Magic', in reference to some miricle-ish drug:

"Oh Oh Oh it's magic!.... Making damned well sure to omit the rest of the lyrics: "Never believe it's not so..."

Pretty bold.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
This commercial for an investment firm is the very definition of annoying. It consists almost entirely of people calling out the character's name. ("Kevin." "Kevin." "Kevin." "Kevin." "Kevin." "Kevin." "Kevin." "Kevin." "Kevin." "Kevin." "Kevin." "Kevin." "Kevin." "Kevin." "Kevin." "Kevin.")
Yeah, I keep waiting for the "Home Alone" mom to appear somewhere in there - "KEVIN!"
Old 07-02-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickBat View Post
I get a kick out of the editing of that commercial for that 'Ozempic' drug.

Throughout the ad they use the first part of the chorus of ELO's 'Oh Oh It's Magic', in reference to some miricle-ish drug:

"Oh Oh Oh it's magic!.... Making damned well sure to omit the rest of the lyrics: "Never believe it's not so..."

Pretty bold.
The song is by Pilot.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
The song is by Pilot.
Oh.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
The song is by Pilot.
And they have ruined the song for me.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Morning Star veggie burger commercials-- "since I'm a kid. . ." these burgers can taste like cow patties covered in neon sugar crust and grown ups will be all-- (grown man eating burger): (i)orgasmic burger munching.(/i]

Maybe if the kid was a better actress. . ..
This is what I came in to say. I actually like the Morning Star veggie burgers but that commercial... ugh.

Doesn't help that the kid actress looks and sounds exactly like my ex's bratty niece.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickBat View Post
Oh.

Thanks for the clarification.
I made the same error of assumption there. The ELO song I was thinking of was "Strange Magic".

It's always interesting to see what song from the past emerges in a commercial or movie or what-not. I guess the producers of these things can have sway over what songs get used and maybe their favorite band from their youth can get some renewed interest. It may also be to catch the attention of people of a certain age.

Some examples:
Journey "Don't Stop Believin'" at the end of The Sopranos.
Any song from the movie Guardians of the Galaxy.
Like this one, keep an eye on pharmaceutical commercials.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Now the Arby's sandwich guy is singing!

https://youtu.be/1EAEHYER0zs
That's H. Jon Benjamin of Archer, Bob's Burgers and Home Movies fame...

And yeah, the Downy commercial is perplexing. What dunce would wear a shirt with such an obviously misshapen neck on a first date? I mean, that can't be the only shirt the guy owns, so why wouldn't he think "Hmm... stretched out v-neck. Maybe I should wear the button-down dress shirt tonight."?
Old 07-03-2019, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Here is a link to the migrainy pirate.

mmm
It's still on, and I realized that after being "Princess and Pirates" she scoots the little girl around on a wheelbarrow, then becomes a Mombot, then something else. Then asks "what shall we do tomorrow?"

In other words, the Mom spends all day playing with her daughter, and plans to do so every day. No husband, no housework, no job, and the little girl has no other freinds her age.

I think KneadToKnow nailed it. "it's GOOD to play Princess and Pirates again".
Old 07-03-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
I think KneadToKnow nailed it. "it's GOOD to play Princess and Pirates again".
Yes, the "fantasy" parts, where we the audience see the pirates, and the ship and the fantasy land? That's not imagined. The evil daughter generates that from the power of her mind.

This is the scariest commercial ever.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 07-03-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Yes, the "fantasy" parts, where we the audience see the pirates, and the ship and the fantasy land? That's not imagined. The evil daughter generates that from the power of her mind.

This is the scariest commercial ever.
How do you know that's not generated by the power of the mom's mind? The little girl is happy because usually what mom creates is much, much worse.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:11 PM

Can someone explain the Mayo Clinic commercials to me? They don't annoy me, I just don't understand them. Two people drive in a car. They laugh and talk but you can't hear them). One screams, one drops the other off at The Mayo Clinic. The End.

There are, like, 4 commercials with different people that follow the same plot. Huh?
Old 07-03-2019, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Can someone explain the Mayo Clinic commercials to me? They don't annoy me, I just don't understand them. Two people drive in a car. They laugh and talk but you can't hear them). One screams, one drops the other off at The Mayo Clinic. The End.

There are, like, 4 commercials with different people that follow the same plot. Huh?
The message I get from those is, "Spend some time with your loved ones, engage in some primal scream therapy. If what you've got is serious enough to go to the Mayo Clinic, it might be your last chance."

I think of them as a sort of pet-free version of one that aired a few years ago that appeared to be just a montage of scenes of a guy with his dog, until you saw that the guy was checking things off a list ... the dog's bucket list.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:

You don't usually go to the Mayo Clinic unless it is pretty serious. My take on the one I'm familiar with it is a Dad and his adult son and the son is sick. The Dad is taking him there which could be a long way so they spend time bonding. At some point as they are pulled over the son vents his frustration with his illness by letting it all out and screaming.

I guess I like this one because my son had a rare form of cancer and we had serious talks about taking him to the Mayo Clinic (he's fine now).
Old 07-03-2019, 04:54 PM

Why do firemen have to shave every day?
Old 07-03-2019, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Perhaps to ensure a good seal when wearing a breathing mask?