Old 07-04-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Ad people don't check song lyrics well. That sample talks about being a "young man, hard man" and going to take on the world. I'm sure that's all they pulled out of that bit of lyrics, if they paid even that much attention. Because that part of the song is actually about some up-and-comer trying to take on The Champions of the World. We will rock you.
Okay, I can admit I'm wrong. I heard the song on the radio and listed more closely. What Queen is doing is saying "you are in a tough situation and fighting to get ahead, well I may be on top now, but I had to fight to get here, too. You'll be fine. You are a champion of the world, too."

But excising a snippet of song doesn't always convey the same meaning as the full song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickBat View Post
I get a kick out of the editing of that commercial for that 'Ozempic' drug.

Throughout the ad they use the first part of the chorus of ELO's 'Oh Oh It's Magic', in reference to some miricle-ish drug:

"Oh Oh Oh it's magic!.... Making damned well sure to omit the rest of the lyrics: "Never believe it's not so..."

Pretty bold.
Well, the are explicitly using the familiar tune of the song, but replacing the words with their drug name, so it's understandable they don't include any more of the lyrics.

What's wrong with "Never believe it's not so...", other than it makes no sense as a follow on to "O-o-o-o-zem-pic"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycat View Post
Why do firemen have to shave every day?
As Dewey Finn said, it's to ensure their breathing mask makes a good seal to the skin. One of my projects one time involved some testing of an anhydrous ammonia system. We had to have safety training including using a breathing mask, and that's what they told us as well.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Perhaps to ensure a good seal when wearing a breathing mask?
"Fix the damn thing
And leave my private life out of it
Okay, pal?"
Old 07-04-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
As Dewey Finn said, it's to ensure their breathing mask makes a good seal to the skin. One of my projects one time involved some testing of an anhydrous ammonia system. We had to have safety training including using a breathing mask, and that's what they told us as well.
Thanks for the info guys. I thought it was one of those trick questions, like who has bigger balls, policemen or firemen?
Old 07-12-2019, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Whenever the Lincoln commercial featuring Serena Williams in the car , with Sarah Vaughn singing "Make yourself Comfortable" comes up, my wife and I race for the TV control to see who can "Mute" it first.

I can't STAND that commercial.

Part of it is that damned song, with the only lyrics "OOOOO-oooo. Make yourself comfortable..." I hate incessantly repeated lyrics. This is the 2010s version of Bill Withers' "Ain't no Sunshine when she's gone," with its 26 repetitions of "I know".

In the second place, I want to scream "Don't leave Serena Williams in a car with the windows rolled up!" She's only a highly-rated tennis player. She won't be able to open the doors, and she'll suffocate, or suffer heat stroke, or something.

In the third place, it defies reality. Have you ever sat in a car with the motor off in the middle of a rainstorm? It gets humid and hot and stuffy. It's the antithesis of "comfortable". You want to open the windows enough to get a cool breeze, but not enough to let the rain in. But there is no god compromise.

Yeah, draw your smiley face on the condensate on the window, but know that you're polluting the air I your parking lot just so you can sit there, comfortably.

The only way it's bearable -- and comfortable -- is if you're sitting there with the fans on, and ideally with the air conditioner going. THAT can be very comfortable. But that would mean that Serena was sitting in a parking lot with the engine idling, which is unconscionable.

Last edited by CalMeacham; 07-12-2019 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:28 PM

Super Beets. (I mainly hate Mister "I'll Finish This BTW.")
Old 07-15-2019, 11:36 AM

This commercial doesn't annoy me but it has the opposite effect of what I think they were going for. I think the lying, pimple-faced girl is much more engaging than the confident, clear-faced girl she becomes after using the anti-acne medication.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

The Subaru (?) commercial in which the bratty, seat-kicking child so thoroughly distracts her parents that her father nearly runs into the back of a stopped car is aggravating on so many levels. Is this supposed to be considered "normal" or "cute" now?
Old 07-15-2019, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

This weird commercial for a Cheetos-flavored KFC sandwich almost seems like self-parody, with the description of the sandwich having "two logos in every bite".
Old 07-15-2019, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
This commercial doesn't annoy me but it has the opposite effect of what I think they were going for. I think the lying, pimple-faced girl is much more engaging than the confident, clear-faced girl she becomes after using the anti-acne medication.
Linky?
Old 07-15-2019, 08:46 PM

Do things Differin
Old 07-15-2019, 10:18 PM

oh BTW I got to try acqua Panna water (what there advertising in the boy follows girl to Tuscany via clues she left him on water bottles that was mentioned upthread) nestle gave me a couple of bottles as a sample the other day and well i guess it taste like water ..... if they were trying to make it special well.. Tuscany failed ....

So if you wanted to follow sort of cute girls to italy well its not gonna be for the water .....
Old 07-15-2019, 11:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
oh BTW I got to try acqua Panna water (what there advertising in the boy follows girl to Tuscany via clues she left him on water bottles that was mentioned upthread) nestle gave me a couple of bottles as a sample the other day and well i guess it taste like water ..... if they were trying to make it special well.. Tuscany failed ....

So if you wanted to follow sort of cute girls to italy well its not gonna be for the water .....
And Tuscany is a big place to follow a cute girl you never even spoke with. The chance of him finding her is infinitesimal.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:47 AM

Possibly the biggest swing and a miss in commercial history is the current State Farm "don't mess with my discount" safe driver commercial. Basically, insurance companies have been itching to get these GPS dongles in your car that monitor your driving habits and reward you if you drive safely. But it's obvious to just about everyone that this is the thin edge of the Big Brother wedge and the ultimate goal is to allow insurance companies to screw people over for minor infractions, because let's face it, even the sweetest old lady who only drives to church on Sunday has occasionally exceeded the speed limit, and most people regularly drive the regulation speed limit +5 mph.

So, with this in mind, here's a commercial with a woman with one of these monitoring systems in her car and the mantra "don't mess with my discount".

a. Late for a meeting. "Don't mess with my discount". Yeah, OK.
b. Kid (and parent) desperately have to pee. "Don't mess with my discount." Oooh, edgy. Let's risk a bladder infection to save a few bucks. Not as OK. Granted, speeding isn't a great alternative, but Mythbusters demonstrated that driving with a full bladder is essentially distracted driving.
c. Mom about to give birth. "Don't mess with my discount!". Literally, WTF?

So, thanks, State Farm, for illustrating graphically why one of those monitors is never going into any car I own. Because there's absolutely no chance that they are going to be used only for good and not for evil.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:07 AM
Suspended

The online savings account commercial, from a company I refuse to mention.

The first commercial featured a guy who has failed disastrously at everything he tries, including trying to solder a side car onto his motorcycle. The second is a horribly self-centered woman who failed economics in high school. These are people I should listen to?

Regards,
Shodan
Old 07-16-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
Possibly the biggest swing and a miss in commercial history is the current State Farm "don't mess with my discount" safe driver commercial. Basically, insurance companies have been itching to get these GPS dongles in your car that monitor your driving habits and reward you if you drive safely. But it's obvious to just about everyone that this is the thin edge of the Big Brother wedge and the ultimate goal is to allow insurance companies to screw people over for minor infractions, because let's face it, even the sweetest old lady who only drives to church on Sunday has occasionally exceeded the speed limit, and most people regularly drive the regulation speed limit +5 mph.

So, thanks, State Farm, for illustrating graphically why one of those monitors is never going into any car I own. Because there's absolutely no chance that they are going to be used only for good and not for evil.
While I don't entirely disagree with you regarding the Big Brother aspects of these insurance monitoring programs, State Farm's program specifically indicates that they do not compare your speed to posted speed limits in any given location. They do monitor speed, and consider going over 80 MPH to be "unsafe" in terms of getting a discount. The devices do monitor and report on acceleration, braking, cornering, time of day, miles driven and overall speed (but not comparing to speed limits).

Again, I wouldn't sign up for one of these programs because I don't trust insurance companies any more than I do the government, but it doesn't have anything to do with posted speed limits. They say you get at least a five percent discount and can get more. My insurance company doesn't use these devices, but it looks like they are expanding. According to the internet, they are now being used by State Farm, Allstate, Liberty Mutual, Safeco, Nationwide, Progressive, Root and Metromile. I've never even heard of those last two.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

^^ Nice user-name/post match.

Finagle, the first time I saw that "don't mess with my discount" commercial, I thought it was trying to convey the message that it would suck to have a company monitor you like that.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
^^ Nice user-name/post match.

Finagle, the first time I saw that "don't mess with my discount" commercial, I thought it was trying to convey the message that it would suck to have a company monitor you like that.
Not as far as I can tell. And the implication of the commercial is absolutely that they'll know if you're speeding and that do so will have an effect on your discount. If State Farm promises that they won't check, then that just increases the level of fail in the commercial.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:23 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
This weird commercial for a Cheetos-flavored KFC sandwich almost seems like self-parody, with the description of the sandwich having "two logos in every bite".
I believe that self-parody is the only reasonable explanation. Twenty-somethings skateboarding and getting excited about Cheetos was the tip-off for me.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finagle View Post

So, with this in mind, here's a commercial with a woman with one of these monitoring systems in her car and the mantra "don't mess with my discount".

a. Late for a meeting. "Don't mess with my discount". Yeah, OK.
b. Kid (and parent) desperately have to pee. "Don't mess with my discount." Oooh, edgy. Let's risk a bladder infection to save a few bucks. Not as OK. Granted, speeding isn't a great alternative, but Mythbusters demonstrated that driving with a full bladder is essentially distracted driving.
c. Mom about to give birth. "Don't mess with my discount!". Literally, WTF?

At least that series is more subtle than the first round of "get the idiots to put monitoring devices on their vehicles" attempt, which was broadcast a few years back for an insurance company I don't recall. Could have been State Farm, but I'm not sure.

That attempt centered on the human tendency to resent "free riders"---it dramatized all the unsafe drivers that drive up your premiums, in the form of people jumping onto the hood of the car of the "safe" driver. The pitch was that if you had the insurance company's device installed, you'd get the premium you deserved, instead of having your premium increased by averaging in all the unsafe drivers.

It was a bad pitch. All the people jumping on the hood didn't really evoke "free riders," but instead some sort of post-apocalyptic zombie attack.

Also, the idea that you'd benefit from having the device installed was pretty dubious, as has been discussed in the last few posts. Of course the company is going to cite data from the device in denying claims of those hapless enough to have it on their vehicles!
Old 07-18-2019, 06:46 PM

The latest iphone ad with eyeball recognition just galls me.

The guy is not only too lazy to even sit up by himself (note the hydraulically powered chair) but he can't even be bothered to actually move and touch the phone?

You know those science fiction dystopias, where everyone has got so sedentary that they become permanently attached to their chairs? THIS is how that started.
Old 07-19-2019, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Progressive's commercials are going downhill. Fast.

Bring back Flo!
Old 07-22-2019, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

[Woman in drugstore aisle] "Aleve is blah blah blah blah blah. So why am I still thinking about this?"

[Me] "I don't know, bitch, but I sure wish you'd keep it to yourself. You've gone over it twelve times in the last hour."
Old 07-22-2019, 10:28 AM

There's a spot for Red Bull commemorating the 50th anniversary of the moon landing. As "Armstrong" descends the ladder and utters his famous line, he begins floating above the surface as wings have sprouted from his backpack. He reports to Houston "We have a problem!" Houston responds, "Aw, Geez, you drank a Red Bull. Red Bull gives you wings. Just come back to Earth and we'll shoot the whole thing in a studio." I couldn't help but think, the moon has no atmosphere. How are you going to fly if there's no air to give you lift?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/o67u/red-bull-moon-landing
Old 07-22-2019, 11:59 AM

There's an AARP commercial where a lady is telling the camera why she's taking care of her mom (cuz she did the same for her), but the way the actress reads her lines is horrible. She speaks too fast and the whole thing sounds like bad slam poetry (aka...slam poetry)
Old 07-22-2019, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
the moon has no atmosphere.
The moon does have an extremely thin atmosphere, so thin that it's treated as nonexistent.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
The moon does have an extremely thin atmosphere, so thin that it's treated as nonexistent.
Just like logic in the Red Bull commercial world.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
My point is wings would be useless on the moon.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:31 PM

That insurance ad campaign that has the rat faced golf pro. There are several version, one which has him sitting in a lawn chair starring off into nowhere.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
[Woman in drugstore aisle] "Aleve is blah blah blah blah blah. So why am I still thinking about this?"

[Me] "I don't know, bitch, but I sure wish you'd keep it to yourself. You've gone over it twelve times in the last hour."
What gripes me about that ad is that she's basing her decision solely on what the manufacturer of Aleve printed on the box, which is totally self-serving.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
My point is wings would be useless on the moon.
Not necessarily.
I'd pay good money to see Paul McCartney up there.....
Old 07-22-2019, 05:37 PM

How about the new run of Reese's Peanut Butter Cup commercials?

It's the voiceover's voice I find most irritating. The voice actor is trying so hard to be...I dunno...Arby-ish.

And in one, they actually brag about making the cups thinner ("How'd we DO that??"). Yeah, thanks for making your product smaller and telling us it's a genius move.

Sorry. Not sorry.

mmm
Old 07-22-2019, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
It's the voiceover's voice I find most irritating. The voice actor is trying so hard to be...I dunno...Arby-ish.
Sounds to me like the Cheez-It Wheel of Cheese but it's supposedly Will Arnett.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

There's a radio commercial here that starts with "When you sleep, what do you dream about?" and goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about a stupid dream. And it's for a sleep apnea product.

I have sleep apnea and I would die without sleeping before I'd use this product.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:56 AM

Credit where due. Like many of you, I hate the Emgality(?) migraine commercial where the woman spends all day playing pirates with her daughter.

I just saw another in the same campaign, same catch phrases, this time with a woman and three of her female friends just hanging out, having a nice day together.

Why do I like it? Because the benefits of the drug weren't being sold as "this drug will let you be a better mother/wife/worker/servant of humanity or anything else. It was just, 'this drug will let you enjoy your life more.'

As in, having less pain/more pleasure in life is a worthy goal all in itself, even for a woman. So, so many ads aimed at woman make it seem like you have to make excuses. "I'm not just simply trying to improve my life. Oh, no, that would be selfish! I'm just doing it so I can devote more time to my children or keep a cleaner house or be cuter for my husband or whatever."
Old 07-23-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Sounds to me like the Cheez-It Wheel of Cheese but it's supposedly Will Arnett.
I hate Will Arnett but I think the Toyota lady is very attractive.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
Credit where due. Like many of you, I hate the Emgality(?) migraine commercial where the woman spends all day playing pirates with her daughter. ..."
Not only pirates but robots and other games, and it will go on the next day too. I dont know any Mom who does this and I find it a little creepy and very sad the little girl has no friends.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Not only pirates but robots and other games, and it will go on the next day too. I dont know any Mom who does this and I find it a little creepy and very sad the little girl has no friends.

But Mom is rich. Look at the size of the house in the background, the size of the manicured yard they play in and the apparently-adjacent woods (with maybe a pond or lake?) they meander around in.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:40 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lare View Post
But Mom is rich. Look at the size of the house in the background, the size of the manicured yard they play in and the apparently-adjacent woods (with maybe a pond or lake?) they meander around in.
I'll bet the upkeep is a major headache.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:07 AM

for the staff.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:20 PM

The Liberty Mutual commercial I hate is the cyclist with the grotesque "custom calves." Body horrors don't make me want to buy your cheapo insurance people!!!

I actually like Limu Emu and Doug. Probably because I grew up watching all the buddy cop shows it's parodying.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:38 PM

Once again, Andrea True Connection's "More More More" is used in an ad, this time for Applebee's.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/oTEv/applebe...by-andrea-true

OTOH, that song does conjure up fond memories for me. It was popular when I had my very first crush on a boy, who played trumpet in the band, and I would hear the song and imagine that the trumpet solo was him playing it for me.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

My husband gets mad at the Weathertech commercials for the CupFone. "It's not a Cup Phone; it's a PHONE CUP!"
Old 07-31-2019, 11:05 AM

There's this one for a car with a back up warning feature. (You can see what a good commercial it is, because I can't remember what brand of car it is for!) If I could remember what car I might be able to find it on line.

Anyway, it has a cute young dad playing with his cute preschool daughter, and she's "driving" around the kitchen, and almost backs into the garbage can. Fortunately, mom's back up warning feature (her hand) prevents this horrible fiery collision from happening and then mom gives dad this "I am killing you with my eyes!" look. What the hell is she all het up about? She really pisses me off. I guess I've known too many people like her.

To make it a bit redeemed, the father gives this hilarious reaction look back.

But then, later the (object of the commercial) family car's back up warning feature prevents dad from backing into the outside garbage can. What a doofus! We are saved again! Happy day. Everybody laugh!

Man I hate this commercial. And they show it five times at least in every Damondback's game.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 07-31-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:58 AM

I think the "hilarious reaction look"is just about one step shy of "deranged person bordering on homicidal spree look." But that might just be me.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
There's this one for a car with a back up warning feature. (You can see what a good commercial it is, because I can't remember what brand of car it is for!) If I could remember what car I might be able to find it on line.

Linky?
Old 07-31-2019, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

A radio commercial local to Kankakee promotes a company's website as "it's easy to remember; it's our name." Yeah, easy for you to remember your own name.

Still, their local commercials and music are much better than local DC commercials and music and they have no national commercial campaigns outside of their Weekly Top 40 flashbacks on Saturday afternoons.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Edit window closed.

The only other annoying commercial campaign they have is the flamingo-obsessed automotive repair guy who keeps running the same commercials every season (Easter, baseball, football, Halloween/Thanksgiving, etc.).

Last edited by Skywatcher; 07-31-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
Linky?
See my last sentence you quoted.

I'm hoping someone will recognize it. No Diamondbacks today to see it.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lare View Post
I think the "hilarious reaction look"is just about one step shy of "deranged person bordering on homicidal spree look." But that might just be me.
I took it to be "seriously, well phooey on you. we're just playing!"

But I can see your POV. Especially with that wife.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
See my last sentence you quoted.

I'm hoping someone will recognize it. No Diamondbacks today to see it.
I know the commercial you're talking about and see it all of the time. It's not just on during D'Backs games. Unfortunately, I can't remember the car brand, either. But I'll look for it, and if I see it again, I'll try to find it online.