Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
Are you or anyone you know confused with something like "If a man litters on the highway he shall be fined $500"? Do you read that and believe that a woman can litter without penalty?
Wait -- if "woman" is implicitly part of "man," does that mean they were supposed to be registering for the draft all these years?
Old 07-22-2019, 08:48 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
AFAICT, the purpose is simply to make Berkeley's own code of municipal regulations non-gender-specific in its language. That is, the code would presumably refer to "firefighters" rather than "firemen" and "firewomen", "mail carriers" rather than "mailmen", "meter readers" instead of "meter maids", singular "they" rather than "he" or "she" as a gender-indefinite singular pronoun, and so on. Nowhere, AFAIK, is it proposed to restrict what municipal employees can say about the gender of individuals when it's pertinent to what they're talking about.
Many, many, many places have already done this, and why people are making such a big deal about this example is genuinely baffling. Local governments, quasigovernmental institutions, and private businesses have been excising sex-specific lingo from codes, regulations, SOPs, and official documents for a long time now. The sky has not yet fallen.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Is there any compelling reason why such a code should not read "If one should litter on the highway, they shall be fined $500"?
"Littering on the highway shall be punished by a fine of $500 for each incident."

Or, considerably better, "Littering on the highway shall be punished by a fine to be set annually by [X Municipality]." (And you'd better make it clear somewhere whether the fine is per incident or per piece of litter.) If the code lists a specific fine, inflation will make it nonsensical over the years; so specifying the amount means you're going to need to rewrite the code every few years anyway.

OF course, IME, you're going to need to do that anyway; because no matter how hard you tried to address in the code every situation that was going to come up (if only to specifically allow it), somebody's going to come in two months after you finally got the revision through all the hearings and votes with something you never thought of, and/or with new information about something you did think of which means that, going off the information you had at the time, you got something wrong.

I think most places have cleaned up their gendered references in municipal codes while in the process of doing otherwise necessary rewriting. Saves printing as many versions, and simplifies the hearing process (I don't know whether this change in this Berkeley code requires a public hearing process.)
Old 07-22-2019, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
OF course, IME, you're going to need to do that anyway; because no matter how hard you tried to address in the code every situation that was going to come up (if only to specifically allow it), somebody's going to come in two months after you finally got the revision through all the hearings and votes with something you never thought of, and/or with new information about something you did think of which means that, going off the information you had at the time, you got something wrong.
Yep, it almost inevitably happens. Then there's the converse, how every new term you have some member thinking of proposing the exact same thing you already did last term because they did not catch that the last revision included that. Always fun to tell them "it already says that".
Old 07-22-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Yes, I have no problem changing that to meet with the custom of the times, but we can do that piecemeal without expending any money unnecessarily.
I don't think there's any reason to believe that doing it piecemeal wouldn't cost more. If the entire municipal code can be revised for $600.00, that is about the cheapest legislative overall imaginable. I charged more than that to revise an employee handbook to exclude potential references to medical marijuana.

Last edited by Really Not All That Bright; 07-22-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Really Not All That Bright View Post
I don't think there's any reason to believe that doing it piecemeal wouldn't cost more. If the entire municipal code can be revised for $600.00, that is about the cheapest legislative overall imaginable. I charged more than that to revise an employee handbook to exclude potential references to medical marijuana.
But when you revised the handbook, you did so for a purpose: to update the handbook to comply with the new policy regarding medical marijuana. This update serves no purpose at all except to make liberals feel better.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
But when you revised the handbook, you did so for a purpose: to update the handbook to comply with the new policy regarding medical marijuana. This update serves no purpose at all except to make liberals feel better.
And you would rather the government continue to insult it's own people?
Old 07-22-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
So this serves no purpose except for this purpose?
Old 07-22-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
So this serves no purpose except for this purpose?
I'm not willing to pay 6 cents for that purpose let alone $600.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Then it's a good thing it isn't up to you, who apparently feels updating manuals for policies he doesn't like is a waste of money.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:53 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Do you live in Berkeley? No? Then nobody's asking you to pay anything.

Go find something that matters to complain about.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Then don't.
Old 07-22-2019, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm not willing to pay 6 cents for them to clean the carpets four times annually instead of three times.

Too bad nobody gives a shit about my opinion on carpet-cleaning or yours on pronoun-changing.

Silver lining, though, is that also nobody's asking you or me to pay for carpet-cleaning or pronoun-changing, which is part of the no-shits-given-rationale.

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 07-22-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:23 PM
Mod Rocker

Moderating

This thread appears to have been opened where the OP had no knowledge of the actual wording of the proposed changes.
The OP has not returned to the thread to defend a position based on clear errors or to seek an understanding of what had been proposed.
The error laden OP appears to be an attempt to start a (rather weak) rant.
The rant is too weak for The BBQ Pit and it is not generating any serious debate.

I am closing it.

If anyone believe that there is a serious debate to be had, here, they may open a new thread. However, that thread must state clearly what the change in ordinance proposes. Any more nonsense about not identifying perpetrators or victims of crime by race, sex, etc. will get that thread closed, as well.

[ /Moderating ]
Closed Thread