Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2019, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Who deserves a Jukebox Musical?

I was thinking about Mamma Mia this morning and wondered what that genre of musical is called. Turns out, of course, it has a name - Jukebox Musical. It is a movie or play based on the works of a single or few related artists. The most famous one most people know is Mamma Mia from the music of ABBA, which kicked off the current wave of Broadway shows for artists from Green Day to the Go-Gos.

The Wiki link has a list all the ones that they recognize (although I think some are a stretch, a biopic is not a Jukebox) but I wonder who do you think would be ripe for the treatment?

I think that an amazing musical could be crafted from the Rolling Stones catalog, but perhaps that's just low hanging fruit since they have so many albums to draw on. I think Little Feat, Chicago, or the Doobie Brothers have a catalog that could support an interesting story line and that I'd want to listen to and sing along.