Old 07-30-2019, 07:40 AM

Orange is the New Black Final season (spoilers)

I just watched the last episode. Not gonna lie. I cried.

I thought this season was actually pretty good, considering the disappointing previous season.

Things I liked:

Suzanne finally finding her niche. It didn't really hit me until the last episode (when Taystee expressed that she was proud of her) how far she had come from her "Crazy Eyes" days.

Caputo having his come-to-Jesus moment about how much of a creep he was.

Fig finally revealing herself to be a halfway decent person, starting with her mentoring of Tamika.

The Latina ladies helping the ICE detainees brought tears to my eyes.

The humanity of Pennsatuckey and how her death transformed Taystee.

No more Badison.

There were other things I liked and some things I didn't (I was tired of the Piper drama by the middle of the first episode).What do ya'll think?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2019, 07:56 AM

I'm only 2 eps in (yes, I spoiled it for myself. I'm not bothered, though)and I already like how it's going. A few seasons, including the last one, were kind of a disappointment so I too think this is a good one.

Glad that we're not getting too much Piper and that the Piper we are seeing is the semi ditzy priss that we met at the beginning.Her character really took some obnoxious turns over the years but I find myself having empathy for her now. Living with her brother and his family would be HELL.

So far they haven't shown much of Red. I hope she gets a satisfying ending. I love me some Red!

Glad they got rid of the Daddy character;I kind of wish Daya had gone with her. I really try not to judge characters by their looks but that mopey, bovine mug of hers has used up the last of my patience. Dascha Polanco is quite pretty IRL, though.

I'm looking forward to a nice long, OITNB binge real soon.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:04 AM

I'm on episode seven and scrolled past both your posts very quickly! I'll read them when I'm finished. I'm really enjoying this season although it's so sad. Usually, I burn through episodes as fast as I can, but I'm finding myself rationing these so they last longer since they're the last ones!
Old 07-30-2019, 09:22 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

I'm on episode 8 now. I do quite like the season so far.

I like how they're putting focus on ICE detainees. It's very relevant of them. It's also very very sad.

And however much I hate Piper, it is good to see them explore the hardships of being a felon and going through parole.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKINPANUB View Post
I'm only 2 eps in (yes, I spoiled it for myself. I'm not bothered, though)and I already like how it's going. A few seasons, including the last one, were kind of a disappointment so I too think this is a good one.

Glad that we're not getting too much Piper and that the Piper we are seeing is the semi ditzy priss that we met at the beginning.Her character really took some obnoxious turns over the years but I find myself having empathy for her now. Living with her brother and his family would be HELL.

So far they haven't shown much of Red. I hope she gets a satisfying ending. I love me some Red!

Glad they got rid of the Daddy character;I kind of wish Daya had gone with her. I really try not to judge characters by their looks but that mopey, bovine mug of hers has used up the last of my patience. Dascha Polanco is quite pretty IRL, though.

I'm looking forward to a nice long, OITNB binge real soon.
I agree that Daya isn't cute at all. But I have seen the actress who plays her in roles where she was dolled up more. She isn't bad-looking. Make-up and hair do wonders...

Speaking of another not-so-bad-looking person, the woman who plays the amateur lawyer ICE detainee. I kept scratching my head trying to figure out why she looked so familiar and then it hit me she was in the movie "Lean On Me". She was the fiery chick that Morgan Freeman's character said should be a lawyer. Which of course is hilarious.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2019, 03:34 PM

I cried when Suzanne and the prison guard sang the Mountain Dew jingle at the makeshift memorial. That really affected me, and I'm not usually like that for most shows or movies.

I really liked this season, even though it was mostly very somber. Some of the previous seasons have just hit the wrong tone IMO, so I was kind of expecting this one to be a throwaway/not very good. But it really was excellent.

Lots of sadness, which is realistic given the subject matter I suppose, but there were a few brighter spots to lighten the mood slightly.

Highly recommend. The first episode of the season turned me off a little for some reason, but it got better and the last two episodes were really great.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:12 PM

I finally finished and I read this whole thread. Overall, it was an excellent season. I didn't mind the Piper drama although I wanted to throttle her in the end. Zelda would've been so much better for her. And I like Alex. I just think Piper would've made a much better choice with Zelda.

Daya annoyed me. Getting her sisters involved? I didn't mind Aleda karate chopping her in the throat at all.

It was good to see all the characters we hadn't seen in a while like Yoga Jones, Big Boo, and Norma. I wish the last few seasons would've stuck with them rather than introducing dumb new ones like Badison and Daddy. I'm glad they were taken out earlier in the season.

I cried during Taystee's flashback phone conversation with Poussey.

The saddest part to me was Red and her dementia.

I'll miss the anticipation of new seasons every June/July or so. I'm considering watching the whole thing again. Season two helped me get through waiting for my cancer surgery.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

I finished this season this past weekend. I'm so sorry it's over with! I loved the whole series, "bad" seasons and all.

Some highlights for me:

P-Tucky's growth as a person throughout the whole series. It was such a shame that she OD'd without finding out that she passed her GED test. I'm glad Luschek finally fessed up about the phones, and got himself fired. Doubly shameful that her death was what saved Taystee, and helped her become the founder of the Poussey Washington fund. Kudos to the show for setting up for real!

Great to see Poussey in a flashback. I cried, too.

So sad about poor Red. Such a powerful force to be dimmed by a terrible disease.

Thanks for placing Karla for me, Monstro! That was a heartbreaking scene when she was abandoned by the coyote. Her poor kids will never know.

I cheered through my tears when Blanca and Diablo are reunited in Honduras!

I wish Piper would have got together with Zelda.

The magic chicken! I didn't remember, but there was a magic chicken in Season 1. (I had to read about it.) Suzanne is doing so much better, and has found her niche in life.

I sobbed for Morello and her baby.

I think Cindy will reintegrate with her family somehow.

So much more, but I'll stop here.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:45 AM

I was SO glad to see Badison go - that was satisfying. Daddy was kind of a meh character for me, so I was not invested in her staying. I am surprised how much I disliked Daya by the end. I also think Piper should have chosen Zelda. Not because Alex is terrible, but because Zelda was just better for her. Red and Lorna both had incredibly sad ends - I would have hoped for more for Red, but it is what it is.

The entire ICE storyline was heartbreaking. I know it is pretty accurate, and I am glad the writers used their platform to help being more awareness to what it actually looks like - my daughter cried at the courtroom scene with the child defendants.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:23 PM

I agree with everything said here so far. I didn't notice anyone mentioning a blinding hatred of Aleida. She's always been a dirty puta but holy cow, I can't find a single redeeming thing about her. I hope she did end up killing Daya and ends up spending the rest of her time in solitary confinement.

Up until this season I really liked Alex but something about her was "off" for me. I'm glad she "set Piper free" and I wish it had stuck.

They really did not pull any punches this time around. Red and Morello? That last scene was heartbreaking. We're meant to take comfort in the thought that they have each other but I think they're both too far gone.

I cannot believe they ended Hellman's story with him becoming Warden. I so wanted him to come to a humiliating end.

I kept it together for most of the last ep but really teared up when they did the montage of all the characters; it was good to see all of the gang. I had to stop and think how they're stories had wrapped up. I'm really going to miss this show.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:49 PM

Aleida was my favorite love-to-hate character and she did not disappoint! Daya was my hate-to-hate character and I got very tired of her, but I think the actress's portrayal was great.

I loved the Mountain Dew eulogy. It might have been my favorite moment.

On the whole, I thought there were too many happy endings. Too much of a neat wrap-up. I think in the real prison experience you lose track of people and never see them again. Also, a significant portion of these characters were improved by their prison experiences, and I don't think that's accurate, either. Most people will probably have a trajectory more like Daya's than Suzanne's. More like wrecks your life/fractures your family, forever. Of course accuracy does not equal entertainment, necessarily--and not everyone had a good ending. But redeeming Fig? Come on. Sure she was better than (Susan?) but that's a pretty low bar.

I was very tired of Piper/Alex but I think it was because I did not actually sense a lot of chemistry between those two, and it should have been there. So those two had way too much screen time IMO. I thought Piper's post-prison experiences were interesting, other than that. I thought her parole officer was great.

I don't know what I'm going to watch now!
Old 08-13-2019, 03:02 PM

Agree with just about everything posted so far. Really enjoyed how they wrapped it up. Not everyone got a happy ending, but this is, after all, a show about prison.

One thing not mentioned yet - Nikki Nichols. My word, she had heartbreak after heartbreak this season and managed to stay clean through it all. She was there for Red's bad news, and when Morello went off the deep end, and to find out her new gf had that horrific genitalia situation. And what a performance by Natasha Lyonne. I know Uzo Aduba gets alot of credit (and deservedly so) but Natasha should get an Emmy nod for this season. Outstanding.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

I wish they had gotten rid of Badison earlier. I know every season needs it's villain, but she was more obnoxious than evil. She seemed more like a grade school bully than anything else. I don't know if it was the script or her acting, but I could have done without her.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena330 View Post

Daya annoyed me. Getting her sisters involved? I didn't mind Aleda karate chopping her in the throat at all.
That's how we were introduced to them as well. Daya was just getting incarcerated and Aleida walked up and slapped her.