The Working-Class Goes To Heaven
Joe (1970)
Come Back, Little Sheba
Home of the Brave
L'Argent
Old 08-02-2019, 05:21 PM

"The Sins of the Fleshapoids"

And its sequel, "The Ascension of the Demonoids"

Also, "Cobra Woman," starring Maria Montez.

Last edited by panache45; 08-02-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:50 PM

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across the 8th Dimension

Juliet, Naked
Old 08-02-2019, 05:51 PM

Little Children (2006)
Force Majeure (2014)
The Red Violin (1998)
Old 08-02-2019, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

I feel like a huge list would overwhelm people, so I'll just list two and say a little something.

Possession (1981)

I have said before that Hereditary(2018) was the only "horror" type movie that ever scared or truly unsettled me. I think Possession, which I saw this summer, is probably the second. The opening 25 minutes or so serve as a very good portrayal of a failing relationship. In fact, you could confuse the movie as a movie about relationships.

Once things get....well, weird, it turns into an unforgettable experience. I won't spoil anything, but you will remember this movie and parts might even haunt you later. Worth it. Oh, Sam Neil's earliest major role I've seen.

The Reflecting Skin - (1990)

This one is harder to explain. Some call this a horror movie, but I hardly think too much happens, though it does open with a scene of boys inflating a bullfrog(or toad maybe) through the anus and shooting it with a sling shot, causing it to explode on a lady. Nice practical joke.

After that, it really isn't a disgusting gore movie at all. Viggo Moretensen is in it, by the way. It's more about the types of trauma and things that happen out in the country.

Worth it.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
I feel like a huge list would overwhelm people, so I'll just list two and say a little something.

Possession (1981)

I have said before that Hereditary(2018) was the only "horror" type movie that ever scared or truly unsettled me. I think Possession, which I saw this summer, is probably the second. The opening 25 minutes or so serve as a very good portrayal of a failing relationship. In fact, you could confuse the movie as a movie about relationships.

Once things get....well, weird, it turns into an unforgettable experience. I won't spoil anything, but you will remember this movie and parts might even haunt you later. Worth it. Oh, Sam Neil's earliest major role I've seen.

Worth it.
I had the movie "Possession", but needed room and had to delete it. But I just added it to my Watch-list. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2019, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
I had the movie "Possession", but needed room and had to delete it. But I just added it to my Watch-list. Thanks!
PM me or post here to let me know your thoughts!
Old 08-02-2019, 06:32 PM

The great B movie homage The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra from 2001.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
PM me or post here to let me know your thoughts!
Will do! I will try to expedite it, especially after I notice your passion for it, and wanting to know my thoughts (I'm the same way
Old 08-02-2019, 06:44 PM

Scarecrow (1973) -- Gene Hackman and Al Pacino as a couple of hard-luck guys on the road. Not a "high concept" movie that can be described in terms of combining other movies, so many don't bother with it. But it's not only beautifully acted, directed, and written--it's deeply moving.

In an entirely different category:

eXistenZ (1999) - David Cronenberg at his most Cronenbergian, but also a great mind-f**k (in a good way). Deeply weird--and embodying surprisingly-compelling commentary on the nature of reality. Note that Christopher (The Prestige) Priest wrote the tie-in novel, which should say something worth knowing about the film.

Last edited by Sherrerd; 08-02-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:46 PM

Drivers Wanted.

In the late '90s I was a regular on alt.pizza.delivery.drivers. The guy who wrote, directed, and starred in this movie came in and told us about it, and many of us bought a copy (on VHS at the time). I'm not sure why Wiki and IMDB list the movie as released in 2005, because I bought it in 1996 or 1997. DVD release maybe?

Anyway, if you've ever delivered pizza, you'll think this movie is hilarious. If you haven't, you'll probably think it's dumb.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:46 PM

I Hired A Contract Killer. I could have chosen other great films by Aki Kaurismäki, but this is the one of his films best balanced between comedy and tragedy, and it has Jean-Pierre Leaud in one of his best roles.

(or PLEASE watch The Man Without A Past. You'll never see a more humane movie.)
Old 08-02-2019, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Three of my top 10 favorite movies are relatively obscure. All are gentle stories about family and relationships:

Author! Author!
Big Eden
Safe Passage
Old 08-02-2019, 06:56 PM
Doltish Snackhound
Charter Member

The Manitou. It's a cheesy horror movie from the Seventies about a sham mystic and a modern-day shaman battling a Native American medicine man from the 1600s being reborn on the back of a woman's neck. It's every bit as cuckoo-pants as it sounds, and I love every minute of it.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:58 PM

And one more: I don't know how obscure it really is, but if you pointed a gun at me to name my favorite movie, I'd probably say: Night On Earth. Just love it, every episode of it.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:06 PM

Every movie and documentary by Kim Ki Duk, one of the most world's most underrated, under appreciated directors

His work is largely ignored in his native South Korea (though loved at film festivals), especially since he was accused (but found not guilty) of sexual harassment and assault in 2018.

FYI, some of his films share the same universe, though except for Birdcage and Bad Guy, they're not directly related . I highly recommend watching Birdcage Inn before Bad Guy. Or not as watching the earlier Birdcage takes away some of the mystery of Bad Guy

*Warning* You'll feel like you need a shower after some of his films, particularly Moebius and Pieta because of their subject matter and endings. But they're absolutely brilliant!

Human, Space, Time and Human
The Net
Stop
One on One
Moebius
Venice 70: Future Reloaded(Documentary)
Pieta
Amen
Arirang(Documentary)
Dream
Breath
Time
The Bow
3-Iron
Samaritan Girl
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring
The Coast Guard
Bad Guy
Address Unknown
Real Fiction
The Isle
Birdcage Inn
Wild Animals
Crocodile
Old 08-02-2019, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
The Manitou. It's a cheesy horror movie from the Seventies about a sham mystic and a modern-day shaman battling a Native American medicine man from the 1600s being reborn on the back of a woman's neck. It's every bit as cuckoo-pants as it sounds, and I love every minute of it.
"In hah NECK????????"
Old 08-02-2019, 07:17 PM

Rubber - best movie about a psychotic psychic car tire EVER
The Barkley Marathons: The Race That Eats Its Young - hardest footrace on the planet
Bad Taste - Aliens vs Derek & his brain
Santa Sangre - my introduction to Jodorowsky is still my favorite of his films
White of the Eye - incomparable thriller
The Twonky - Weird-ass SF movie isn't at all what you think it's going to be
Twice Upon A Time - I'll keep wishing for the original dialogue track until the day I die, prolly
Immortal - Enki Bilal film that is the best Heavy Metal-ish movie of all time
Bunraku - stylish weirdness that works

———

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
I love this movie too; it makes a great double feature with Prophecy.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 08-02-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:22 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Man's Favorite Sport? -- Rock Hudson as a fishing expert who knows nothing about fishing and Paula Prentiss as a reporter who wants to write a story on him competing in a big tournament.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:49 PM

As an intro to Kim Ki Duk's style, Kim Ki Duk lite, I recommend Godsend by Moon Si Hyun. Kim wrote the screenplay (he usually writes and improvises on the fly on his own films) and Moon was the Assistant Director on some of Kim's films. The directing style and composition is so similar to Kim's, I'm sure some of the scenes were done by him.

I also recommend the recent works by Hong Sang Soo

I'm not a great fan of his earlier work, but since he started featuring actress/lover Kim Min Hee since Right Now, Wrong Then (2015), his mixture of reality and fiction is brilliant.

Kim is an extremely talented actress best known outside Korea for her work in The Handmaiden (2016). But in 2016 rumors started that she was having an affair with married Hong after they met during filming of Right Then, Wrong Now.* In 2017, they admitted to the affair and Kim lost all her numerous endorsement deals and has been shunned by the Korean movie industry since.

However, Director Hong has been featuring her in his movies that deal with infidelity in one form or another, often (though he denies it) drawing upon events of his and Kim's current lives.

*It will likely never be known if their affair really began during the filming of Right Now, Wrong Then, but the storyline has an eerie parallel to what happened in real life. The story is about a married director who meets a female fan (Kim) when he arrives in town for his most recent film's screening. They fall in love and contemplate having an affair. The film is split into two parts, each a different play of how events may turn out.

Even more personal and my favorite Hong film so far is On the Beach at Night Alone. This time, Kim plays a woman who travels to Germany after her affair with a married director who promises he'll follow her there and start a new life. Staying with her friend, she ponders the affair and wonders if he will really come.

Hotel by the River
Grass
The Day After
Claire's Camera
On the Beach at Night Alone
Yourself and Yours
Right Now, Wrong Then

Last edited by lingyi; 08-02-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
Man's Favorite Sport? -- Rock Hudson as a fishing expert who knows nothing about fishing and Paula Prentiss as a reporter who wants to write a story on him competing in a big tournament.
I dimly remember to catch that movie one time on TV on a Sunday afternoon, only thinking how hilarious the premise and the plot was.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:04 PM

Earth to Echo - E.T. crossed with Stand by Me
McFarland, U.S.A. - Kevin Costner in a based on a true story underdog sports movie. Hits all the right emotions.

Last edited by Tarataratara; 08-02-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:21 PM

Def by Temptation, a 1990 horror film aobut a succubus.

Dark Night of the Scarecrow, a 1981 made-for-television horror film. Some years ago, I saw a screening at the Famous Monsters of Filmland festival in Indianapolis. The screenwriter was there, and we gave him a standing ovation.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:56 PM
Horrified Onlooker

The Grey Fox
Strangers In Good Company
Kenny
Old 08-02-2019, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

I don't think there's really clear category of movies you think not many others have seen. I've seen some of those mentioned so far and have heard of quite a few. Anyway, I went through my list of my 100 favorite films and tried to pick out the most obscure. Here's what I found:

Army of Shadows (a.k.a. The Shadow Army, Army in the Shadows) (1969, France/Italy, dir. Jean-Pierre Melville)
Chungking Express (1994, Hong Kong, dir. Kar Wai Wong)
The Tree of Wooden Clogs (1978, Italy, dir. Ermanno Olmi)
Old 08-02-2019, 09:20 PM

Angel and the Bad Man - the John Wayne movie that only I seem to have watched. I generally don't like cowboy flicks, but this is one of my all time favorites.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:05 AM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

Chan Is Missing - Director Wayne Wang's first real success. Shot in San Francisco Chinatown on a budget of $22,000.

Sita Sings the Blues - Animated movie by comic strip artist Nina Paley. She did almost all of it herself, despite having no experience as a filmmaker. A cultural mishmash combining her personal story of her boyfriend dumping her with the ancient Indian tale The Ramayana. Features songs by 20s and 30s jazz singer Annette Hanshaw.

Tully - Not the recent movie with Charlize Theron. This movie was released in 2000, and is a completely different story.

Waltz with Bashir - Animated Israeli movie about an Israeli soldier coming to terms with his role in the Lebanese war.

House of Games - An early David Mamet movie about con artists. Features Ricky Jay in his first movie role (unless you count TV movies).

Persepolis - Animated movie about a young Iranian girl whose parents send her to France to get away from the war with Iraq, and from the restrictive post-revolutionary politics. Based on a graphic memoir.

Proof - Not the 2005 movie with Gwyneth Paltrow, but an Australian movie from 1991. Stars Hugo Weaving and Russell Crowe (before he made it big in Hollywood). The story is about a blind man who carries a camera with him and uses pictures to check up on whether people are telling him the truth. Great psychological study.

A Town Called Panic - Over-the-top Belgian stop-motion animation. Based on a TV series. All the characters are plastic figurines. The three main characters are a cowboy named Cowboy, an Indian named Indian, and a horse named Horse. Of the three, Horse is the adult. Manic pacing, ridiculous situations.

(Untitled) - Yes, that's the title of the movie. A satire of the modern art scene in New York.

You Can Count on Me- Laura Linney and Mark Ruffalo play sister and brother. Old patterns and behaviors come to the surface when Ruffalo's character comes to visit.

The Sweet Hereafter - Canadian movie directed by Atom Egoyan about a town where most of the children have died in a school bus accident. Ian Holm plays a lawyer who tries to convince the townspeople to participate in a wrongful death suit. His presence stirs up a lot of things that people would prefer to stay hidden. The story has several parallels to The Pied Piper of Hamelin.

Short Term 12 - Brie Larson plays a staff member in a short-term foster home for children who have no other place to go. Kaitlin Dever is particularly good as a new girl who arrives at the facility.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:38 AM

I was flipping around the dial about 20 years ago and stumbled upon Thursday, starring Thomas Jane, whom I had never heard of. I really liked it, I still like it, and I just looked it up on IMDB and saw that it grossed a total about $3000 in the US, so I am pretty confident that most people have never heard of it.

It's a semi-dark comedy about a guy who is just trying to live his life, gets mixed up with some bad people, and turns out to have some unexpected resources. Also starring Aaron Eckhart, Paulina Porizkova, and Mickey Rourke. Head on down to Blockbuster and rent it tonight.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:08 AM
Charter Member

Leaving Normal. Pretty much my favorite film, but with a box office of just $1.5M and change. I heart Meg Tilly.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 08-03-2019 at 04:10 AM.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySinclair View Post
I was flipping around the dial about 20 years ago and stumbled upon Thursday, starring Thomas Jane, whom I had never heard of.
Thomas Jane also stars in 1922, a movie you can stream on Netflix right now. It's a Stephen King adaptation and a pretty good one. Worth it and not that famous.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:38 AM

Back to the Beach. Frankie and Annette 25 years later. It's a hoot.

Thunderheart. Val Kilmer. Sam Shepherd. A shooting on a Sioux Indian reservation loosely based on the 1973 Pine Ridge Wounded Knee incident. Absolutely brutal look at a reservation.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Scarecrow (1973) -- Gene Hackman and Al Pacino as a couple of hard-luck guys on the road. Not a "high concept" movie that can be described in terms of combining other movies, so many don't bother with it. But it's not only beautifully acted, directed, and written--it's deeply moving.

In an entirely different category:

eXistenZ (1999) - David Cronenberg at his most Cronenbergian, but also a great mind-f**k (in a good way). Deeply weird--and embodying surprisingly-compelling commentary on the nature of reality. Note that Christopher (The Prestige) Priest wrote the tie-in novel, which should say something worth knowing about the film.
I came on here just to add "Scarecrow"! I was a big Pacino fan 20 years ago, and liked it. Saw it again a few years ago, still liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lichtman View Post

Waltz with Bashir - Animated Israeli movie about an Israeli soldier coming to terms with his role in the Lebanese war.

House of Games - An early David Mamet movie about con artists. Features Ricky Jay in his first movie role (unless you count TV movies).

Persepolis - Animated movie about a young Iranian girl whose parents send her to France to get away from the war with Iraq, and from the restrictive post-revolutionary politics. Based on a graphic memoir.

I saw both, but really liked "Persepolis"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoilerVirgin View Post
Three of my top 10 favorite movies are relatively obscure. All are gentle stories about family and relationships:

Author! Author!
I saw this a long time ago. I wonder if I still like it

Last edited by MortSahlFan; 08-03-2019 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:31 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The Westerner (1940)
Morning Glory (1933)
Kitty Foyle (1940)
The Dawn Patrol (1930)
The More the Merrier (1943)
A Double Life (1947)
Vacation from Marriage (1945)
The Sunshine Boys (1975)
Cimarron (1931)
Underworld (1927)
The Rose Tattoo (1955)
The Sin of Madelon Claudet (1931)

Two that have already been mentioned:

Come Back, Little Sheba (1952)
Harry and Tonto (1974)

Some that many have heard of but too few have watched:

Charly (1968)
Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1939)
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (1945)
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (1969)
Tender Mercies (1983)

Last edited by bibliophage; 08-03-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Children of the Revolution. Australian comedy film. Joseph Stalin's illegitimate son grows up in a left-wing Australian family. As he gets older, he starts to resemble his father, in hilarious but slightly scary ways.

Ridicule, in which an 18th-Century French aristocrat learns why people hated 18th-Century French aristocrats.

La Reine Margot. Based on the Alexandre Dumas novel about the French royal court during the religious wars. Intrigue and treachery, plotting and poisoning. It's fun.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:55 AM

The Station Agent
Guns at Batasi
Julian Po
Old 08-03-2019, 09:58 AM

Fear of a Black Hat - basically "This is Spinal Tap" of 90's gangsta rap.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:00 AM

I love the slasher film mockumentary Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

It's very 2006, but its so much fun. It takes place in a world where all the classic slasher movies were real events, and follows an aspiring slasher as a student documentary crew tags along as he gets ready to start his first kill spree. It's so great. I can't even tell you.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:02 AM

whoops, double post.

Last edited by DigitalC; 08-03-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibliophage View Post
Harry and Tonto (1974)
I wasn't expecting this one to be such a favorite. I thought it was good but not great.

It was obvious while watching it that Art Carney was not a cat person. Cats don't care about amusing dialog. They want to be petted and brushed but Carney had minimal contact with Tonto (the cat).
Old 08-03-2019, 10:42 AM

Crime Wave: No, not the Raimi/Coen Bros. film. This is a film about a guy in a nothing-ever-happens neighbourhood of Winnipeg who vividly dreams about writing pulp crime stories. I don't think I've ever seen a film quite like it; the look of the film is kind of like an educational filmstrip.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:05 AM

The only two mentioned so far that I’ve seen are The Sunshine Boys and The Station Agent, both of which I would recommend.

The Sunshine Boys is slow motion comedy. Watching George Burns and Walter Matthau re-arranging furniture in Matthau’s apartment is priceless. It’s one of my favorites.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:40 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Songwriter - Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Rip Torn in a charming, quirky little movie about the music business.

Tapeheads - John Cusack and Tim Robbins as pioneers in the early video business.

Repo Man - Emilio Estevez as a punk. Too weird to describe.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:57 AM

Tears of the Black Tiger - Bonkers Thai spaghetti-western action adventure romcom in supersaturated colour with surreal backdrops and cartoon violence. Yeah, that about covers it.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama Llogophile View Post
The only two mentioned so far that I’ve seen are The Sunshine Boys and The Station Agent, both of which I would recommend.

The Sunshine Boys is slow motion comedy. Watching George Burns and Walter Matthau re-arranging furniture in Matthau’s apartment is priceless. It’s one of my favorites.
I saw and liked these as well.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:08 PM

I adore Shirley Booth - 'Come Back, Little Sheba' and also 'Hot Spell'. (I really can't understand the relationship in 'About Mrs. Leslie' - was it companionship, or were they having an ongoing once-a-year affair?)

In fact, I like those little 50's slice-of-life dramas. (William Inge, especially - 'All Fall Down' is one of my favorites. Barry-Barry, you old rhinoceros!)

Every time 'Middle of the Night' comes on TCM, I drop everything to watch it. From 1959, it stars Kim Novak as a divorced secretary who plans to marry her much older boss, Martin Balsam, to the distress of all her friends and family. Akin to 'Marty', it's low key black and white, a lot like an expanded early TV show from the time. But I get a kick out of it.

Last edited by salinqmind; 08-03-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:09 PM

Allegro Non Troppo - a comical Italian suite of cartoons similar in scope to Fantasia

Silent Running - an underappreciate sci-fi gem starring Bruce Dern and some robots
Old 08-03-2019, 12:45 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibliophage View Post
Tender Mercies (1983)
Since Robert Duvall won the Oscar and Golden Globe for Best Actor, I suspect a great many others have seen it.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:47 PM

Fantastic Planet

Very distinctive, trippy animation style (also used on Sesame Street, I believe). Interesting soundtrack. Pretty weird, overall.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:33 PM

Tapeheads is fucking awesome--executive producer Mike Nesmith of The Monkees and approximately nine billion obscure but hilarious cameos by famous musicians, most notably Devo performing as a sucky European trash band and Jello Biafra as an FBI agent. Insanely great music, trust me on this one.

Along the same lines but even more obscure is Get Crazy which is so unknown it never even got a DVD release--I have it but I had to download a VHS rip, that's how unknown it is. Also an insane number of musical cameos and a great soundtrack and who can resist Malcolm McDowell playing an asshole super rich rock star named Reggie Wanker? Not I!

For something completely different, how about Sirens? I don't understand why this one never got famous, if for no other reason than every woman cast in this film appears naked--go on, go look at the list and tell me that doesn't have some appeal. It's just a genuinely lovely movie though and it makes me feel happy every time I watch it.

Last edited by SmartAleq; 08-03-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:48 PM

'Nebraska'. Bruce Dern, 2013-ish, all the more somber in it's black & white.

'About Schmidt'. Jack Nicholson, somber, but in color.

'Cedar Rapids'. 2011, light hearted comedy with serious overtones.

'The Lives of Others'. 2006. Gripping film. A crying shame so many people only "know" it through the overuse of the Hitler meltdown scene's use by wags to parody other situations via dubbed subtitiles.

'Idiocracy'. It's existence and appreciation seems to be a few inches wide, but a mile deep.

Another vote for 'The Station Agent'

Another vote for 'Repo Man'