Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-07-2019, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

When did grilled egg sandwiches become standard in your world (if ever)

I know McDonald's introduced the Egg McMuffin in the early 1970s, but I don't think I became aware of it as a breakfast option until the late '70s or early 1980s. And for a while after that, it seemed to be a McDonald's-only thing.

It was only a bit after that that McDonald's competitors started introducing grilled egg sandwich-type items for breakfast, like Crossandwiches, etc.

It wasn't until the late 1990s that it seemed to me that egg breakfast sandwiches--defined as cooked egg with cheese and meat (ham, sausage, bacon, etc.) inside bread (English muffins, toast, croissants, etc.) became standard at any cafeteria-style grill, and appeared in some form on almost any breakfast menu.

Does this timeline represent the advent of grilled egg breakfast sandwiches for anyone else? Or did they become a staple much earlier than I experienced?