Old 08-11-2019, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQwark View Post
Any western where the cowboys are crossing the desert and come across some water. The parched cowboys jump off their horses and start drinking greedily while the horses just stand there. Seems like the horses should be as thirsty as the cowboys.
And, in fact, the horse probably found the water in the first place. They require upwards of ten gallons a day and can smell a water hole a lot further off than Cowboy Bob can.

For me it's the Hollywood Disease, the one where someone is in their last hours dying from some dread disease and still looks great.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Added sound effects that are 1) predictable and 2) over the top.

Examples:

Added whooshing noises, such as when some karate dude is slicing his hands through the air - whoosh, whoosh.

(cut)

mmm
This alone makes Iron Chef America unwatchable. Among other godawful cliches.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:31 AM

Just saw the new film Hobbs and Shaw last night and for a movie that was completely over the top ridiculous and implausible (a motorcycle that can break down into multiple sections for the sole purpose to limbo under things) you’d think you’d be able to roll with it and nothing they could put on the screen would take you out of the moment.
Except.... before one of the final battle scenes the good guys are in formation in a large field in Hawaii in the middle of the night. Bad guys arrive in the dark and trigger a bunch of fireworks to launch into the night sky. Still the dead of night they face off and exchange monologues before a good guy ignites a firewall ala Game of Thrones to surround the baddies. Good guys holler and charge and as they clash...
it suddenly becomes the middle of the afternoon? Suns out, blue skies, etc.
It was so jarring I totally lost focus of the action and was just watching the background light change.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
Just saw the new film Hobbs and Shaw last night and for a movie that was completely over the top ridiculous and implausible (a motorcycle that can break down into multiple sections for the sole purpose to limbo under things) you’d think you’d be able to roll with it and nothing they could put on the screen would take you out of the moment.
Except.... before one of the final battle scenes the good guys are in formation in a large field in Hawaii in the middle of the night. Bad guys arrive in the dark and trigger a bunch of fireworks to launch into the night sky. Still the dead of night they face off and exchange monologues before a good guy ignites a firewall ala Game of Thrones to surround the baddies. Good guys holler and charge and as they clash...
It was so jarring I totally lost focus of the action and was just watching the background light change.
In a previous scene, Hobbs & Shaw are discussing how to prepare for the Bad Guy attack, and one of them mentions that it's most likely to come just before dawn. The impression I got was that they Bad Guys indeed show up just before dawn, and the sun rises during the fight, so that by the end they are in bright daylight. But even given that...yeah, I was also taken out of the movie by just how abrupt and extreme the lighting change was. IIRC, it was totally dark for quite a while - then one shot lasting a couple of seconds of somewhat subdued ambient light - then bright, full daylight.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Something that drives me crazy is a non-speaking bit part that should be a speaking part, but they're too cheap to pay the actor or actress more to speak one or two short lines. This happens a lot with characters like a waiter in a restaurant who will walk up to a table, one of the speaking actors will say something to him, and then he just silently nods and walks away.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Something that drives me crazy is a non-speaking bit part that should be a speaking part, but they're too cheap to pay the actor or actress more to speak one or two short lines. This happens a lot with characters like a waiter in a restaurant who will walk up to a table, one of the speaking actors will say something to him, and then he just silently nods and walks away.
Or an officer will give an order to an enlisted man who just nods and shuffles the papers on his desk.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Tough Hero Guy doesn't flinch, doesn't react, doesn't look back when something explodes right behind him, but just keeps striding purposefully towards the camera. C'mon. Nobody is that focused.
Or that blast-resistant.

Maybe he's one of those guys who can't hear a helicopter hovering just over the hill.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
The setting was Samoa, though the movie was filmed in Hawaii.
Old 08-11-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayne Ded View Post
The armor often looks too clean and too complete. And too consistent. It was all hand-made then, fer chrissake. Seeing a line of soldiers kitted out identically ... nope. Soldiers might well have had a grab bag of armor from different sources and times, but there are still limits.
Actually, mass-produced identical modular suits of armour were totally a thing.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Actually, mass-produced identical modular suits of armour were totally a thing.
Actually, there were experiments in lighter, mass-produced armor much earlier in Europe and elsewhere (e.g., China and ancient Greece). These employed leather, bone, quilted or laminated fabric, and even laminated paper. Not all metal armor was plate or mail, either. Scale armor was widely used, and could be produced much more easily and quickly. (Scales could be made of materials other than metal, too.)

If you can find a copy, I highly recommend a booklet titled Arms and Armour in England, published by HM stationers, IIRC. It's a brilliant little work by a true expert on the subject.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Actually, there were experiments in lighter, mass-produced armor much earlier in Europe and elsewhere
Sure. But Brayne Ded and Sitnam were discussing specifically mediaeval armor, so I used (late) mediaeval examples.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Ever since I found out about this I've been noticing this everywhere and it drives me nuts. Even if they weren't meant to speak due to other reasons (the extra looked good but had a bad voice / writers wanted the extra to look distracted / extra forgot their lines but the take was otherwise perfect) it still looks like they're being cheap which will still take me out of the movie.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Sure. But Brayne Ded and Sitnam were discussing specifically mediaeval armor, so I used (late) mediaeval examples.
I apologize if it wasn't clear I was referring to both ancient and mediaeval armor.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I apologize if it wasn't clear I was referring to both ancient and mediaeval armor.
Likewise, I don't want you to get the idea that I think munitions armour was the only mass-produced armour.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:18 AM

Actual motorcycle sounds are often dubbed over with the sound of a high-revving inline four-cylinder engine...even when the actual bike is just a big two-cylinder engine. The 2003 Italian Job did this...twice. First, with Seth Green's Ducati 748:

Ducati 748 in The Italian Job

What a Ducati 748 really sounds like

And again later with the BMW R1150RTs used in the Mini Cooper chase sequence:

BMW R1150RT in The Italian Job

What an R110RT really sounds like ("gassy sewing machine" is an apt comparison)
Old 08-12-2019, 10:37 AM

This happens a lot in movies, but most recently in Hobbs & Shaw so I'll use that as my example. I hate it when characters are speaking to each other, shouting even, when there is literally no possible way for the intended target to hear it. In H&S it's the Rock being underneath a helicopter and about 40 feet off the ground yelling to the driver of a daisy-chained car who is 40 feet down and 40 feet in front of him. "Do it! Now!" and he does it.

It never ruins the movie for me, but like the thread said, it does briefly take me out of the movie and prompts a "yeah, right" out of me for a bit.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
Ever since I found out about this I've been noticing this everywhere and it drives me nuts. Even if they weren't meant to speak due to other reasons (the extra looked good but had a bad voice / writers wanted the extra to look distracted / extra forgot their lines but the take was otherwise perfect) it still looks like they're being cheap which will still take me out of the movie.
An even more blatant example is in the made-for-TV movie Birds of Prey (the one with David Janssen). It seems they cast stunt men for the bad guys, but I guess stunt men can't have speaking roles or something. Could be Guild rules, could be it just cost too much. So when the bad guys have to talk to each other, the camera frames on the one NOT speaking. I assume they used voice actors for the actual dialog, who are probably cheaper.

If it is union rules, it's a stupid one. Because the (probably) stunt men were acting, even though they just didn't speak.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:21 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

There's an actor, I can't remember who, who makes a habit of prompting dialog with actors who would otherwise be extras in order to get them speaking roles, which IIRC helps get them SAG cards. Obviously, the director and the editor have to go along with it, but still.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:31 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
This happens a lot in movies, but most recently in Hobbs & Shaw so I'll use that as my example. I hate it when characters are speaking to each other, shouting even, when there is literally no possible way for the intended target to hear it. In H&S it's the Rock being underneath a helicopter and about 40 feet off the ground yelling to the driver of a daisy-chained car who is 40 feet down and 40 feet in front of him. "Do it! Now!" and he does it.

It never ruins the movie for me, but like the thread said, it does briefly take me out of the movie and prompts a "yeah, right" out of me for a bit.
Spoofed in Shazaam, when the hero and the villain are both floating hundreds of feet about the city, and about a hundred yards apart. The villain starts monologging, and the camera cuts to the hero, who's all, "What? I can't hear you! Are you trying to say something to me?"
Old 08-12-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Spoofed in Shazaam, when the hero and the villain are both floating hundreds of feet about the city, and about a hundred yards apart. The villain starts monologging, and the camera cuts to the hero, who's all, "What? I can't hear you! Are you trying to say something to me?"
....seen first in Kung Fu Panda 2 when the same thing happens
Old 08-12-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
It might not be due to them being cheap. It might be due to Screen Actors' Guild rules about speaking roles in movies. If your role is a background character (usually meaning not having any lines) then you don't need to be a SAG member.

SAG membership is expensive for the first payment, currently $3,000; it does come with very cheap medical insurance payments afterwards providing you keep working, so it's worth it for a lot of jobbing actors. But it's not helpful if you're just doing this as extra work and have insurance via your regular job, or you're fairly sure you won't get enough work for the medical insurance requirements (82 days per year, can be theatre or print ads or anything like that, not just screen roles; or alternatively earning $13,000 from SAG productions over the year).

There are limits to how many speaking jobs you can have without having to apply for SAG membership before being allowed to work on SAG-affiliated productions again (which is almost all professional productions).

(I'm not an actor; I've been researching this for something I'm writing).

So bizarrely it's another area where privatised healthcare has an effect.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
There's an actor, I can't remember who, who makes a habit of prompting dialog with actors who would otherwise be extras in order to get them speaking roles, which IIRC helps get them SAG cards. Obviously, the director and the editor have to go along with it, but still.
"These pretzels are making me thirsty."
Old 08-12-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
They could have had the plate from back when the plates were orange-gold the first time around?
No it was the new format - with the state shape between the letter sequence and the numerical portion, and with the color inversion where the state name is on top.
-IQ
Old 08-12-2019, 07:35 PM

Quote:
"These pretzels are making me thirsty."
"These pretzels are making me THIRSTY!"

Last edited by digs; 08-12-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
For me it's the Hollywood Disease, the one where someone is in their last hours dying from some dread disease and still looks great.
Or as Montserrat Caballé recounted about the first time she was cast as the dying-of-tuberculosis protagonist of La Traviatta: "have you seen pictures of me?"
Old 08-12-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Or as Montserrat Caballé recounted about the first time she was cast as the dying-of-tuberculosis protagonist of La Traviatta: "have you seen pictures of me?"
Isn't TB one of the diseases where you can actually look fairly healthy before you die? Thinner than usual, yes, but you could start out overweight and still die of it overweight, just less overweight than before. It's one of the reasons it used to be used in a lot of old movies.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:21 PM

When a character is fast asleep in bed and the phone rings, and he turns on the bedside lamp before answering the phone. Not only would nobody turn on the light if he didn’t have to, he doesn’t even squint when the light goes on. Ever.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
"These pretzels are making me THIRSTY!"
These pretzels are making ME thirsty.”
Old 08-13-2019, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmagirl View Post
When a character is fast asleep in bed and the phone rings, and he turns on the bedside lamp before answering the phone. Not only would nobody turn on the light if he didn’t have to, he doesn’t even squint when the light goes on. Ever.
In the opposite vein, can't remember the title but there was a scene where the protagonist calls his girlfriend. Cut to her asleep in the dark and the phone rings. The bedstand lamp snaps on, she rolls over in bed and picks the phone up to have a muzzy conversation, then rolls back over as the light snaps off.

I thought at the moment it was a really egregious error but it turns out later she was an agent and the lamp-snapper was her handler.

She didn't squint, though.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
These pretzels are making ME thirsty.”
These pretzels are. Making ME. Thirsty. --Christopher Walken.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
On the other hand, this is me taking a phone call while asleep.

What's that noise?
There is is again.
The phone?
The phone!
What do I do?
Pick it up!
Which end goes to my ear?
I don't remember!
Try one.
Now what?
Say something!
What?
"Hello" That's it!
Someone is talking.
What do I do?
Make noises until it begins to make sense.
What if it doesn't?
Maybe you won't look too stupid.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:25 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
The bedside lamp thing that I always notice is when the lamp is actually being controlled by an electrician off-camera and the actor is just miming turning the light on or off. Usually about as convincingly as they mime handling "full" cups of coffee, mentioned upthread.

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 08-13-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
The Wilhelm Scream.
YES. The god damned Wilhelm scream.

The only time I thought it was clever was in one of the Transformers movies--one of the tiny smart ass bots gets smacked and the Wilhelm scream is played at like 2x or 3x speed. Super fast and high pitched. Turns out, once you've become sensitized to it you can hear it played backward in the background noise of a heavy metal concert.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Hawk the Slayer is a painfully low-budget, extremely cheesy movie that shamelessly rips off J.R.R. Tolkien, Robert E. Howard, and every D&D game you ever played in junior high school. That did not bother me at all.

The elf was clad in buckskin clothes. Apparently, they could not afford to buy him a pair of moccasins. He wore penny loafers. That bothered me a lot.

Peter Jackson's version of King Kong spends much of the film on an uncharted island populated by dinosaurs, giant arthropods, and a 40-foot-tall ape. That did not bother me at all.

Naomi Watts spends a long time running around New York in the middle of winter, on a night cold enough to make several inches of ice on the pond in Central Park, wearing a strapless evening gown, and shows no sign of hypothermia. That bothered me a lot.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Gold is waaaay heavier than movies think it is. You can't:
  • Pick up a gold brick with one hand and throw it at Oddjob
  • Have it bounce off of you with no effect, even if you're Oddjob
  • Fill up a dump truck under the Federal Reserve and expect that dump truck to go anywhere
  • Fill up a Mini Cooper and expect it to go anywhere, even with a "beefed up suspension"
  • Swim through an avalanche of gold items inside a Gringotts vault without being crushed
  • Expect a bag of sand to effectively replace the weight of the Golden Idol of the Hovitos
Old 08-13-2019, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
[*]Expect a bag of sand to effectively replace the weight of the Golden Idol of the Hovitos[/list]
Well, how'd that work out for him?
Old 08-13-2019, 08:34 PM

In Klingon:

"jIHvaD chenmoH pretzels 'oj!"
Old 08-14-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
Fill up a Mini Cooper and expect it to go anywhere, even with a "beefed up suspension"
Someone did the math and figured it was nearly 6000 pounds of gold, or 2000 pounds per Mini. All in the back. Plus one or two occupants up front, so add another 150-400 pounds to that tally.

The difference between curb and gross weight for a stock mini is about 700 pounds.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:30 PM

Seeing a familiar actor in a different role can take me out of a movie briefly. Case in point, Star Wars The Force Awakens. I love Star Wars because it feels so otherworldly and fantastic, but seeing Greg Grunberg from Alias threw me off a bit. JJ Abrams directed both so not too surprising. I'm sure Greg loved being in Star Wars, but I think I prefer my Star Wars actors to be unknown.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Elf View Post
Someone did the math and figured it was nearly 6000 pounds of gold, or 2000 pounds per Mini. All in the back. Plus one or two occupants up front, so add another 150-400 pounds to that tally.

The difference between curb and gross weight for a stock mini is about 700 pounds.

But at least they made the effort to try to justify it, they didn't just go with stock minis right out of the dealership. I recall one scene when they're modifying the minis, and one character asks about a rack of parts that were removed, and is told, "That's 200 pounds of unnecessary engine parts".

Still not enough, but give them some credit for at least addressing it, unlike all the other examples.

And hey, 200 ponds of gold each is still a lot!
Old 08-14-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by control-z View Post
Seeing a familiar actor in a different role can take me out of a movie briefly. Case in point, Star Wars The Force Awakens. I love Star Wars because it feels so otherworldly and fantastic, but seeing Greg Grunberg from Alias threw me off a bit. JJ Abrams directed both so not too surprising. I'm sure Greg loved being in Star Wars, but I think I prefer my Star Wars actors to be unknown.
Yeah. I kept wondering why Ellie Sattler would dye her hair purple.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:19 PM

William Shatner:

"These ... pretzels. Are making me ... THIRSTY!

Last edited by terentii; 08-14-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:30 PM

War movies or documentaries where aircraft are in combat, its always the same aircraft noise, its usually continuous even when it is diving or climbing - sometimes you'll get a single engine sound on a multi engine aircraft or a multi engine sound on single engine.

Different aircraft have very different sounds.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:47 PM

I appreciate a good special effect. Early movies like "forbidden Planet" did this well. Everything from the 3 axis lock to the robot were well done.

Something like the moving wall in Diagon Alley (Harry Potter) is nicely done and adds to the movie.

IMO the art of special effects is on life support. I suspect so much money is spent on computer generated imagery that it can't be left on the digital cutting room floor.

Bad special effects immediately take me out of a movie.

Last edited by Magiver; 08-14-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulff
What sound do you think they make?
(Turning on lights in a warehouse, etc.)

Sounds like turning circuit breakers on or off. click...click..click...click... I used to work in a 2,000 foot industrial space, and at the end of the day, five clicks followed by the squeak and clank of closing the door on the breaker panel, and the lights were out. No big ka-WHUNK, and no mechanized chack-chack-chack-chack-chack as the lights are sequenced on or off down the length of the building.

What pulls me out of a story is wrong telephones. Things like a phone with modular plugs in the 50s or as happened in Rocketman, phones on the wrong continent. As I wrote in the Goofs section at IMDB: "The phone next to the bed at Mama Cass' house is British - a GPO 722, which would not work in the US as among other things, it has the wrong kind of plug."
Old 08-14-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpasswords View Post
What pulls me out of a story is wrong telephones. Things like a phone with modular plugs in the 50s or as happened in Rocketman, phones on the wrong continent. As I wrote in the Goofs section at IMDB: "The phone next to the bed at Mama Cass' house is British - a GPO 722, which would not work in the US as among other things, it has the wrong kind of plug."
Didn't posh restaurants in the '50s (and even earlier) offer to bring phones to the tables of their hoity-toity patrons if they needed to make (or take) an important call? I know I've seen this in old movies, and it seems to me the phones could be plugged in and unplugged.

As for foreign phones, why wouldn't they work? I've had them in both the US and Russia with no problem. All I had to do was tweak the wiring (with or without a plug).

Last edited by terentii; 08-14-2019 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:02 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Geographic fuck-ups (or plain "I don't cares") can really pull me out of a movie, for a short time at least. Two examples spring to mind:

Lethal Weapon - One scene has Riggs chasing a Bad Guy in a car while on foot. He starts the chase in the San Fernando Valley, turns a corner and is suddenly on Sunset Blvd, miles from where he started. This is only evident to people who know the area and would fly completely under anyone else's radar.

Last Vegas - For that matter just about any film set in any city. In Last Vegas, it's the leads walking down Las Vegas Blvd. from Hotel A to Hotel B. Going the opposite directions, and passing by hotels that are not even close to where they are headed. See disclaimer in Example #1.

Old Westerns were, of course, terrible about this. John Ford had multiple movies that bounced around Monument Valley like pinballs on acid. Let's not even get started about Vasquez Rocks.

Films set in New York City must drive some people around the bend.

Last edited by silenus; 08-14-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Geographic fuck-ups (or plain "I don't cares") can really pull me out of a movie, for a short time at least. Two examples spring to mind:
An episode of Monk did that once. Monk and Natalie were trying to determine whether the suspect could have made it from her home in Richmond (where she had an alibi) to the victim's house in Novato by the time the murder took place on a motorcycle. Cut to a montage of them riding through... downtown San Francisco. Anyone who actually knows where Richmond and Novato are knows you would never drive through San Francisco to travel between the two cities.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

The only geographic difference that took me out of the movie was when I recognized a waterfall in North Carolina in the Last of the Mohicans which is set in New York State. Even though I dislike the genericness of the southern Appalachian region in person and I love the New York State outdoors since it is where I grew up, that wasn't the reason I was taken out of the movie: I spent several minutes trying to convince my friend that I was seeing it with that yes, it was actually in North Carolina because I'd actually been to that waterfall.

ETA: yes, technically, I guess it did take me out of the movie in that it temporarily stopped my suspension of disbelief, but I didn't care all that much about it at first until my friend wouldn't listen to me.

Last edited by Ludovic; 08-14-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:45 PM

In Val Kilmer's The Saint, people ran from the Hotel Ukraina to Red Square in about ten seconds. The two are separated by a distance of around 2 1/2 miles.