Old 08-29-2019, 03:17 PM
BANNED

Anyone See Dave Chappelle's New "Sticks & Stones"?

He is clearly looking to push boundaries, and poke the Politically Correct bear on the nose, (in this case with a 3 foot long rainbow colored anal dildo) while giving a hearty Fuck You to 2019 America's florishing Victim Culture, damn the consequences, full speed ahead, bitch.

He savages LGBT and #MeToo while defending the loathsome Louis C.K.'s actions, all without mentioning Trump a single time.

With that said, I didn't laugh more than a time or two, as frankly it just wasn't funny, more uncomfortable, mean-spirited and angry, all from a guy with incredible celebrity clout & privilege and $50,000,000 in the bank.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

I'm as liberal as they come and I still found it to be hilarious. (And ironically, I've never been a DC fan)

I don't agree with most of what he was saying, but the way he framed his jokes were quite clever.

If you watch it with your mind already offended, I don't expect you'll enjoy the show.

Last edited by Grrr!; 08-29-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Nonesutch View Post
He is clearly looking to push boundaries, and poke the Politically Correct bear on the nose, (in this case with a 3 foot long rainbow colored anal dildo) while giving a hearty Fuck You to 2019 America's florishing Victim Culture, damn the consequences, full speed ahead, bitch.

He savages LGBT and #MeToo while defending the loathsome Louis C.K.'s actions, all without mentioning Trump a single time.

With that said, I didn't laugh more than a time or two, as frankly it just wasn't funny, more uncomfortable, mean-spirited and angry, all from a guy with incredible celebrity clout & privilege and $50,000,000 in the bank.
I'm not really sure what you expected from him. He has always been one of the most unapologetic comics out there - which I think is part of what makes him so funny. Even more than a lot of other comics, he is of the "NOTHING is taboo" mindset. He doesn't care if something he finds funny offends 99% of his audience - if it's funny, he'll tell the joke. He's been this way since he first came out - he pushed the boundaries every step of the way. The Chapel Show was so purposely offensive that at the end he quit the show because he felt it had gone from offensive-as-a-parody to something that began to reinforce stereotypes and the like.

I haven't watched the new special yet but I will be going into it assuming that there are going to be a fair amount of jokes that are going to make me uncomfortable.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:15 PM

After the end credits, there's a fairly extended Q&A with an audience, which I actually found more entertaining and sharper than his desperate-to-break-boundaries regular set.

Having said that, I think he is funny, but his material is coarse (cough cough harrumph).

Last edited by Hatchie; 08-29-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:39 PM

I turned it off after about 30 minutes. Zero laughs. Just a rich, angry, out of touch guy ranting about stuff that doesn't affect him.

ETA: I just checked and it was Equanimity that I turned off and I only lasted 14 minutes. Based on that, I'm gonna skip this latest special.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 08-29-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:09 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Chappelles comedy gets better with age. I thought it was some of his funniest work.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:

Good. Victim culture needs more poking. Glad to see Dave not feeling the threat of social pressure or ostracism.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:39 AM

I liked it. I'm pretty sure I've found some of his other stuff funnier, but I liked it.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:05 AM

Here's where Chappelle works for me: he's telling a lengthy joke involving child molesters and Michael Jackson. It's uncomfortable, but he ties it all together somehow. Suddenly you're laughing while feeling guilty about it. It's awesome.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deser2 View Post
I'm not really sure what you expected from him. He has always been one of the most unapologetic comics out there - which I think is part of what makes him so funny. Even more than a lot of other comics, he is of the "NOTHING is taboo" mindset. He doesn't care if something he finds funny offends 99% of his audience - if it's funny, he'll tell the joke. He's been this way since he first came out - he pushed the boundaries every step of the way. The Chapel Show was so purposely offensive that at the end he quit the show because he felt it had gone from offensive-as-a-parody to something that began to reinforce stereotypes and the like.

I haven't watched the new special yet but I will be going into it assuming that there are going to be a fair amount of jokes that are going to make me uncomfortable.
I don't agree at all. Nothing in the Chapelle Show was offensive. Sure, it's that style of comedy, but none of the actual messaging was offensive.

I haven't watched this special yet, but I have watched other new ones, and I've noticed at least some jokes that are more offensive. It makes sense to me that people may go into his newer stuff expecting Chapelle Show level stuff and be disappointed.

Even his delivery style has changed.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:59 PM

I thought it was pretty funny. Not amazing, but better than most stand-up on Netflix. 7/10.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Loathsome? For asking to masturbate?

This special wasn't THAT funny, but as a leftist, I'll watch almost any comedian who isn't going along with the trendy bullshit.

I'm looking forward to Bill Burr and hope he hasn't fallen for that PC (ultimate prejudice) shit.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:43 AM

I liked it. To me, his funniest joke was his impersonation of modern audiences.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:47 PM

Thought the last 20ish minutes was best (guns, Smollett). I wasn't "offended" by the rest but he wasn't making me laugh either. Largely, I got bored and messed around on my tablet, sticking around mainly because my wife wanted me to watch with her.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Someone else posted:

Quote:
"Dave Chappelle is kinda my idol 'cause it always been my goal to walk away from 50 million dollars after realizing audiences are laughing in a way that belittles the struggles of my people then return a decade later to make that money back by belittling the struggles of others."
I have yet to see the new routine/special. I guess I should watch it.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Saw it. Laughed more than I expected.

Saying he doesn't care about what Michael Jackson did is stupid and he's a huge idiot for thinking it. Same for Louis CK, who obviously used his position of influence in comedy to pressure women.

I don't remember every other joke, but I did laugh at the majority of the rest.

I do like that he pointed out that school shooter trainings also train the likely shooters what the rest of the school is doing.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:40 AM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Good. Victim culture needs more poking. Glad to see Dave not feeling the threat of social pressure or ostracism.
Chappelle quit his show because he was upset about racial jokes. And in his earlier specials he complains about how horrible it is when people call him a nigger.

Which is kind of offensive, he wants to make fun of other people but has a meltdown if anyone makes fun of him for being black.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:07 AM

I've given it a pass, mostly on account of the terrible reviews. The last thing we need is yet another in a long string of comedians punching down at anyone who has the temerity to complain that those pissing on them are being just a wee bit cruel.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
I've given it a pass, mostly on account of the terrible reviews. The last thing we need is yet another in a long string of comedians punching down at anyone who has the temerity to complain that those pissing on them are being just a wee bit cruel.
That's kinda my take, too. I watched some of his previous special, and it was mostly him being a dick. What I've hear is that he makes a lot of jokes mocking trans folk, and who has time for that?

I want comedy to be surprising. There's nothing less surprising than listening to someone rattle off stereotypes.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
That's kinda my take, too. I watched some of his previous special, and it was mostly him being a dick. What I've hear is that he makes a lot of jokes mocking trans folk, and who has time for that?

I want comedy to be surprising. There's nothing less surprising than listening to someone rattle off stereotypes.
It wasn't your typical "Trans sure are stupid! der, der, der"

His "letters" (where he talks about trans) routine was the funniest part of the show. And it didn't strike me as particularly hateful.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:54 AM

I watched it. It all sounded shockingly similar to... a stand-up comedy routine.

The "controversial" stuff didn't bother me. The Michael Jackson comment was just setting up the next like 10 minutes of material.

The man is telling jokes, people, he's not running for Jesus.

People tend to have this idea that comedians are exactly the person they present themselves as on stage. This is incorrect. They are playing a character. Sam Kinison and Andrew Dice Clay are not really that guy in real life. Comedians, for the most part, as convincing as they might be, are not actually telling you real stories from their lives. Some comedians are harder to divorce their on-stage persona from the real person, and in most cases that is intentional, but it doesn't mean they're not still playing a character.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
It wasn't your typical "Trans sure are stupid! der, der, der"

His "letters" (where he talks about trans) routine was the funniest part of the show. And it didn't strike me as particularly hateful.
I haven't finished watching it. It's taking me time to get through it because I'm not really finding it funny.

The letters thing didn't make me laugh once. Not having any insight into interrelationships in LGBTQ factions, I have no idea whether the things he said were accurate, not to mention accurate and also funny.

His comments about Louis CK were just dumb.

His Michael Jackson bit was confusing and bizarre. I can't tell what exactly he was trying to say.

I loved his last three Netflix specials. This one, I'm not enjoying so far.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:01 PM

I watched and laughed a little. Nothing about it really stood out to me.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
People tend to have this idea that comedians are exactly the person they present themselves as on stage. This is incorrect. They are playing a character. Sam Kinison and Andrew Dice Clay are not really that guy in real life.
I don't think that's especially relevant. If someone is making a buck off mocking molested children or transgender people, etc and you're offended by that, whether or not the guy mocking them is "really" that person doesn't seem important. The paychecks are all going to the same guy.

And, before anyone makes the comparison, I don't think it's equivalent to acting where there's hopefully some greater narrative purpose in the context of the film. It sounds more like the line right-wing radio hosts use when they get in hot water for going too far -- "Hey, it's all just an act for the radio!"

Last edited by Jophiel; 09-03-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:22 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
People tend to have this idea that comedians are exactly the person they present themselves as on stage. This is incorrect. They are playing a character. Sam Kinison and Andrew Dice Clay are not really that guy in real life. Comedians, for the most part, as convincing as they might be, are not actually telling you real stories from their lives. Some comedians are harder to divorce their on-stage persona from the real person, and in most cases that is intentional, but it doesn't mean they're not still playing a character.
Yes, but so what? Dave Chapelle's stage persona may or may not be much like the actual person, but he's still the guy who wrote the material people are objecting to, and staged it in a way that the "character" saying this material is completely unchallenged in their viewpoints.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:02 PM

Just a friendly reminder that when Dave hosted SNL two years ago....there was a strong sentiment of "Save us Dave!! Help us make sense of a world that no longer makes sense!!"
Old 09-04-2019, 12:52 AM

There were a few really hilarious jokes, a couple of good insights ... and a lot of absolute crap.

I liked the "letters" routine, too, although it took me an embarrassingly long time to catch on. His bit about Tony Bourdain and that loser guy he knows was pretty on the nose. Bashing the #MeToo was low, though; it came across as incredibly mean spirited. Ditto the trans jokes.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:48 AM

I thought it was great. The tsk tsking going on in this thread kind of demonstrates his point about what the audience is like nowadays.

EDIT: Actually, I think he may have made that point in the one after Sticks and Stones. It was his impression, and when he asked who it was much of the audience said Trump, Dave said "It's you!"

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 09-04-2019 at 03:51 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
I thought it was great. The tsk tsking going on in this thread kind of demonstrates his point about what the audience is like nowadays.
Comedians whine about audiences not liking their shitty mean jokes. Film at eleven.

There are plenty of people doing awesome comedy. Chapelle? Not so much. Pobrecito.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Comedians whine about audiences not liking their shitty mean jokes. Film at eleven.
Way to miss the point. Audiences have always tantrumed about "shitty jokes" like you're doing here, that's fine, that's the job.

What's new, and what his point was, is that the easily offended snowflakes now try to destroy careers instead of just not buying tickets to any more shows like a sane person.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 09-04-2019 at 06:20 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

EDIT: Actually, I think he may have made that point in the one after Sticks and Stones. It was his impression, and when he asked who it was much of the audience said Trump, Dave said "It's you!"
It doesn't demonstrate his point. It just shows that he's another celebrity whining about being criticized when he says something dumb. He wants the freedom to say whatever he wants, but he resents it when people exercise their freedom to say what they want about what he said.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:28 AM

No, see, that's very clearly not what his point was at all. You've already said that you didn't understand his Michael Jackson routine; isn't it possible you didn't understand this point either?

LHOD arguing about this based on what "he's heard" as opposed to actually watching the show so he can comment on it intelligently is pretty perfect for this, though.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 09-04-2019 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Way to miss the point. Audiences have always tantrumed about "shitty jokes" like you're doing here, that's fine, that's the job.
Calling some rather tame forum posts a "tantrum" makes the issue sound less like audience "victim mentality" and more like martyrdom complex from people who can't even take mild criticism.

Last edited by Jophiel; 09-04-2019 at 06:31 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

What's new, and what his point was, is that the easily offended snowflakes now try to destroy careers instead of just not buying tickets to any more shows like a sane person.
He talked about Michael Jackson and Louis C.K. Which one of those had a career that was destroyed by "snowflakes" for nothing more than telling a bad joke?
Old 09-04-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Calling some rather tame forum posts a "tantrum" makes the issue sound less like audience "victim mentality" and more like martyrdom complex from people who can't even take mild criticism.
It was LHOD's comment about Chapelle's "shitty jokes" in a show he didn't watch that seemed tantrum-y to me.

Last edited by Ellis Dee; 09-04-2019 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

A brief comment containing a few words you disagree with isn’t the definition of “tantrum.”
Old 09-04-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:

Wait, are you saying that we're trying to destroy Dave Chappelle's career? Us, here, a couple of Dopers chatting on a message board, giving mixed reviews about a comedian's routine, we are *destroying* his career?
Old 09-04-2019, 07:22 AM

Funny that you mention it, Ellis, the Nib just published a cartoon about exactly that perspective...

https://thenib.com/repeat-offenders?t=recent
Old 09-04-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
Funny that you mention it, Ellis, the Nib just published a cartoon about exactly that perspective...

https://thenib.com/repeat-offenders?t=recent
Ten years ago the narrative was "Dave is amazing to just walk away from all that money, and we should be worried for his mental health."....now its "He was a cry baby"?

Also thats pretty disgusting of them to characterize Aziz like that.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
Wait, are you saying that we're trying to destroy Dave Chappelle's career? Us, here, a couple of Dopers chatting on a message board, giving mixed reviews about a comedian's routine, we are *destroying* his career?
Right, just by having an opinion about an act and expressing that opinion we are snowflakes engaged in an oppressive conspiracy to ruin the life of someone merely for exercising es free speech rights. Ironic, huh?
Old 09-04-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:

There are plenty of people doing awesome comedy. Chapelle? Not so much. Pobrecito.
on the other hand, everyone loves comedy until the comedian jokes about them.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
I think it's possible to find something unfunny (or offensive) without it being about you.

In this case, I didn't go away mad, I just went away bored. Which is perhaps worse since at least "mad" gives me something to do and a reaction to how I spent that hour. Going away bored just means I wasted my time on it.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:01 AM
Sith Mod

Quote:

Oh, please. The put Lenny Bruce in an actual jail for his routine.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
No, see, that's very clearly not what his point was at all. You've already said that you didn't understand his Michael Jackson routine; isn't it possible you didn't understand this point either?

LHOD arguing about this based on what "he's heard" as opposed to actually watching the show so he can comment on it intelligently is pretty perfect for this, though.
Quote:
It was LHOD's comment about Chapelle's "shitty jokes" in a show he didn't watch that seemed tantrum-y to me.
First, watching the special gives him royalties. I don't want to put money in the pocket of the outrage generating machine. If someone tells me I'm misunderstanding, that he's not actually saying shitty things about trans people, I might check it out; but from what I've seen of his previous specials, I don't find him at all funny, and find him to be kind of an asshole.

Second, you think my calling him an asshole is a "tantrum"? What would you call your behavior, then? Your reaction is way funnier than anything I've seen Chapelle do.
Quote:
Meh. Mulaney's jokes about timid white dudes strike me to my core, and are fucking hilarious. What, do you suppose, is the difference between Chappelle mocking trans folks, and Mulaney mocking white dudes?
Old 09-04-2019, 10:48 AM

Just finished it. He misses a few, and not his best work, but seriously? WTF is the controversy about.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Meh. Mulaney's jokes about timid white dudes strike me to my core, and are fucking hilarious. What, do you suppose, is the difference between Chappelle mocking trans folks, and Mulaney mocking white dudes?
I think I see the problem. "making jokes about" is not automatically equivalent to "mocking." It's like when guys are breaking balls amongst each other. You can (or should be able to) tell the difference between a silly joke about you/someone, and when they're ridiculing you because they actually hold you in contempt. I've only heard a few clips from this show so far, but none of what I've heard so far rises to the level of the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
Oh, please. The put Lenny Bruce in an actual jail for his routine.
relative privation fallacy.

Last edited by jz78817; 09-04-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think I see the problem. "making jokes about" is not automatically equivalent to "mocking." It's like when guys are breaking balls amongst each other. You can (or should be able to) tell the difference between a silly joke about you/someone, and when they're ridiculing you because they actually hold you in contempt. I've only heard a few clips from this show so far, but none of what I've heard so far rises to the level of the latter.
That would genuinely change my mind. What I've heard from other folks is that he shows genuine contempt toward trans folk.

If I thought the dude was pretty funny, I might watch it myself to form my own opinion. As it is, I don't enjoy his comedy, and so I'll just make my opinion a little less firm .
Old 09-04-2019, 01:34 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
relative privation fallacy.
Read for context.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:54 PM

I liked it and I've seen most all of Dave Chappelle's stand up comedy and Stick and Stones is fairly consistent will all the rest.

I don't always agree with him, I think he's wrong about a lot of stuff, but, he's not a mind-slave to political correctness. He thinks for himself and I respect that. That's true of many comedians that I like. Doug Stanhope, Louis CK, etc.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullsterx View Post
I don't always agree with him, I think he's wrong about a lot of stuff, but, he's not a mind-slave to political correctness. He thinks for himself and I respect that.
As opposed to some other people unnamed as of yet, who actually are "mind-slaves to political correctness" and "don't think for themselves"?