Old 02-12-2010, 09:50 AM

Inspired by the new Toy Story 3 trailer: I love the alien guys, and I own two of them. It wasn't until I was in Toys R Us looking for a third that I saw the packaging. Little Green Men.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
The simplest way to make a mirror not show a reflection of the vampire is to just choose your camera angles carefully, and that was certainly within their capabilities of the time. Next-simplest would be to make it a window onto a duplicate room, instead of an actual mirror, but they might have objected to the cost of an entire duplicate set. If the camera position was fixed, they could use a still picture (painting or photograph) of the reflection of the empty room in the mirror frame, though that would be given away if the camera ever moved. And even if the camera moved and the mirror were free-standing in the middle of the room, if they can move the camera precisely and in a replicable way, they could make one run through the scene without the actors, then put a green cover over the mirror, and do it again with the vampire actor (though I don't know when the green-screen process was invented; probably some time after colored film, or at least after Technicolor).
Yeah, travelling mattes didn't arrive till the thirties, I think. They could easily have done a static matte, though. Simple in-camera effects like a split-screen double exposure were well known (and a good deal cheaper and easier than building a duplicate set).
Old 02-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilchiam View Post
Inspired by the new Toy Story 3 trailer: I love the alien guys, and I own two of them. It wasn't until I was in Toys R Us looking for a third that I saw the packaging. Little Green Men.
Again, what am I missing? What's the thing you noticed and what makes it interesting?
Old 02-12-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Again, what am I missing? What's the thing you noticed and what makes it interesting?
Little green men = stereotypical movie alien. I think that's all there is to it.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:59 PM

Electric Warrior said:
Quote:
Little green men = stereotypical movie alien.
That's obvious, but doesn't answer the question. What about "Little Green Men" applies to the little alien guys from Toy Story 3? Can you show a picture of the alien guys? Is the packaging labeled "Little Green Men"?

Something in the story is assumed to be clear to the audience but isn't. Break it down for the guy who doesn't know what Toy Story 3 is. (Okay, I know what Toy Story is, with Woody and Buzz. I know about the little green army men. But I don't know Toy Story 3, or what the aliens look like.)
Old 02-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Alien toys from Toy Story
Old 02-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Electric Warrior said:

That's obvious, but doesn't answer the question. What about "Little Green Men" applies to the little alien guys from Toy Story 3? Can you show a picture of the alien guys? ... I know about the little green army men. But I don't know Toy Story 3, or what the aliens look like.)
They were in Toy Story 2. They were hanging from the rear view mirror in the car.
They looked like this.

http://tinyurl.com/yek9jtt
Old 02-12-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Electric Warrior said:

That's obvious, but doesn't answer the question. What about "Little Green Men" applies to the little alien guys from Toy Story 3? Can you show a picture of the alien guys? Is the packaging labeled "Little Green Men"?

Something in the story is assumed to be clear to the audience but isn't. Break it down for the guy who doesn't know what Toy Story 3 is. (Okay, I know what Toy Story is, with Woody and Buzz. I know about the little green army men. But I don't know Toy Story 3, or what the aliens look like.)
I assume that Rilchiam's talking about the rubber aliens from the grabber machine in the first film. They're small. They're green. They're alien. That much is obvious from looking at them. But it wasn't till he saw them explicitly labelled as such that he connected them with the well-known expression “little green men”.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

I always assumed that, "Stuck a feather in his cap and called it macaroni" was a nonsense line from Yankee Doodle. Thanks to the SDMB, I finally found out that macaroni was slang for very stylish, so the song was basically calling Yankee Doodle a rube.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WotNot View Post
I assume that Rilchiam's talking about the rubber aliens from the grabber machine in the first film. They're small. They're green. They're alien. That much is obvious from looking at them. But it wasn't till he saw them explicitly labelled as such that he connected them with the well-known expression “little green men”.
Exactly. Thank you to Chronos and Peter Morris for providing links. Also, I'm a she. And I didn't see the LGM in the TS3 trailer; I'm just hoping they show up in the film.

"You saved our lives. We are eternally grateful. You saved our lives. We are eternally grateful. You saved our lives. We are--" "Shaddup!"
Old 02-13-2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Warrior View Post
I only recently realized how many rock riffs were written in the pentatonic scale. Several years after being told by my guitar teacher that it was the best scale for improvising in, too.
You might enjoy this
Old 02-13-2010, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilchiam View Post
Also, I'm a she.
I'm sorry, I have a cold.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamia View Post
That's not just in the movie Bram Stoker's Dracula, it's in Bram Stoker's Dracula as well. Count Dracula can go out during the day if he wants to, but he apparently doesn't like it and his powers are more limited than they are at night. He does it when he has to, though. In Chapter 24 Dracula is described as visiting the docks at about 5 pm (more than an hour before sunset) wearing "a hat of straw which suit not him or the time" to arrange for passage out of England.
A straw hat! What a clever disguise. I can already see him now, lifting his glasses and confiding, "It is I, Vlad the Impaler!".
But Eddie Izzard's point is, the standard vampire rules say no sunlight. And then suddenly Dracula announces quite casually that the can, in fact, walk around during the day. It's that "Hey! you can't change the rules like that!" feeling. And anyway a low-powered vampire is just a nutter in the park.

Quote:
The simplest way to make a mirror not show a reflection of the vampire is to just choose your camera angles carefully, and that was certainly within their capabilities of the time. Next-simplest would be to make it a window onto a duplicate room, instead of an actual mirror, but they might have objected to the cost of an entire duplicate set. If the camera position was fixed, they could use a still picture (painting or photograph) of the reflection of the empty room in the mirror frame, though that would be given away if the camera ever moved. And even if the camera moved and the mirror were free-standing in the middle of the room, if they can move the camera precisely and in a replicable way, they could make one run through the scene without the actors, then put a green cover over the mirror, and do it again with the vampire actor (though I don't know when the green-screen process was invented; probably some time after colored film, or at least after Technicolor).
These options have already been mentioned.
But black and white (or tinted) film rather rules out green screen or blue screen, don't you think?
The camera doesn't really move that much during the whole scene. So other solutions would have been possible.
The question is, was the reflection left there by accident or on purpose? I still think they simply did not care that much for the reflection myth. After all, what did it matter in 1922?
Old 02-14-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Piranha Brothers View Post
A straw hat! What a clever disguise. I can already see him now, lifting his glasses and confiding, "It is I, Vlad the Impaler!".
But Eddie Izzard's point is, the standard vampire rules say no sunlight. And then suddenly Dracula announces quite casually that the can, in fact, walk around during the day. It's that "Hey! you can't change the rules like that!" feeling. And anyway a low-powered vampire is just a nutter in the park.
I'm not familiar with the Eddie Izzard bit in question, but Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula obviously wasn't intended to be just another standard vampire movie. The title certainly suggests they were interested in doing a film version that was more faithful to the book, and in the book Dracula can go out in the sunlight. Of course this version of Dracula was wildly different from the book in other ways -- the title character was given completely different motivations, and Mina and Lucy were also significantly changed from the novel -- but either way it was clearly not supposed to be a "classic" style vampire movie and shouldn't have been expected to follow all the same rules.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the Eddie Izzard bit in question, but Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula obviously wasn't intended to be just another standard vampire movie. The title certainly suggests they were interested in doing a film version that was more faithful to the book, and in the book Dracula can go out in the sunlight. Of course this version of Dracula was wildly different from the book in other ways -- the title character was given completely different motivations, and Mina and Lucy were also significantly changed from the novel -- but either way it was clearly not supposed to be a "classic" style vampire movie and shouldn't have been expected to follow all the same rules.
That's just it - there are no rules except what movies (or other works of fiction) usually agree on. But I'm not sure if Coppola's Stoker's Dracula really stands apart - in the end it's just another vampire movie. And apparently the DVD is a bit different from the theatrical release, but that's another story.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:52 AM

And a lot of vampire lore has no problem having their Vampires go out during the day.

Vampire myths have them sleeping during the day, but it was no more fatal to them than to Dracula.

Neither Dracula, Carmilla, nor Varney (3 of the more famous 19th century fictional vampires - where most of our ideas of what a 'proper' vampire is come from) are in any way prevented from going out during the day - Dracula is explicitly weakened, but able to walk about without issue. Neither of the others have even that.

The idea that it was fatal was created by Murnau.

Even post-Nosferatu, a significant amount of vampire fiction has ignored that particular addition, for various stylistic or practical reasons - going back to pre-Nosferatu sources; wanting to make their vampires more biologically plausible; wanting to make their vampires stronger; not wanting to tell a story that's entirely nocturnal or indoors; to ratchet up the fear when a vampire proves that the 20th century assumption that vampires can't stand sunlight is wrong.

Even among vampire stories that do have the sun as fatal, a lot include the idea that stronger ones can handle it for a while, or conversely, that stronger ones are more susceptible, because they're further from life; or that there are variant types, who have different weaknesses.

Last edited by Kamino Neko; 02-14-2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Changed thought in midstream, fixed it.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
But black and white (or tinted) film rather rules out green screen or blue screen, don't you think?
I don't remember the details, but I think that all you need is colored filters, not actually colored film. Still, the same is true for Technicolor, and it took a good while for anyone to figure out that trick, so while they perhaps could have done greenscreening, they probably didn't.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton View Post
Actually, I doubt that ever occurred even to the Beatles.
Ralph Wiggim voice: I beat the Beatles!

Being the OP, I just want to say that most of my threads die and few even reach two pages. This thread makes me very proud (and astonished).
Old 02-14-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Ralph Wiggim voice: I beat the Beatles!

Being the OP, I just want to say that most of my threads die and few even reach two pages. This thread makes me very proud (and astonished).
Not a surprise -- as a group, those of us who "partake of café society [/fake upper-class french accent]" are creative, observant, and critical.

AND, more importantly, we're used to our significant others rolling their eyes when we start a sentence with "Wow, I just realized that..."

So we post here instead...

Last edited by digs; 02-14-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
That's just it - there are no rules except what movies (or other works of fiction) usually agree on. But I'm not sure if Coppola's Stoker's Dracula really stands apart - in the end it's just another vampire movie.
I'm not sure it really stands apart either, but it was apparently intended to. And it is in some ways the most faithful film adaptation of Dracula (most others omit some of the main characters and action), although in other ways it's dramatically different (romantic Dracula!).

It is funny that having Dracula walk by day seems weird/innovative to some viewers when it is directly from the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
And a lot of vampire lore has no problem having their Vampires go out during the day.

Vampire myths have them sleeping during the day, but it was no more fatal to them than to Dracula.

Neither Dracula, Carmilla, nor Varney (3 of the more famous 19th century fictional vampires - where most of our ideas of what a 'proper' vampire is come from) are in any way prevented from going out during the day - Dracula is explicitly weakened, but able to walk about without issue. Neither of the others have even that.

The idea that it was fatal was created by Murnau.
As I've mentioned on here before, it's not totally clear even in Nosferatu that sunlight ALONE will kill a vampire. Count Orlock is the first vampire to be killed by a ray of sunlight, but there's all that business about the willing sacrifice of a pure-hearted woman too. Sunlight is arguably just one part of a sort of vampire-killing spell. Maybe if the Count had just happened to be caught out in the sunlight then he'd have been fine. Alternately, it could be that the opportunity to suck the blood of a pure-hearted woman is the only temptation great enough to make a vampire stay out past his bedtime...although if that were the case then it would seem that an unwilling women would do equally well. Perhaps vampires prefer to be gentlemen about the whole neck-biting thing?

Last edited by Lamia; 02-14-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
As I've mentioned on here before, it's not totally clear even in Nosferatu that sunlight ALONE will kill a vampire. Count Orlock is the first vampire to be killed by a ray of sunlight, but there's all that business about the willing sacrifice of a pure-hearted woman too. Sunlight is arguably just one part of a sort of vampire-killing spell. Maybe if the Count had just happened to be caught out in the sunlight then he'd have been fine. Alternately, it could be that the opportunity to suck the blood of a pure-hearted woman is the only temptation great enough to make a vampire stay out past his bedtime...although if that were the case then it would seem that an unwilling women would do equally well. Perhaps vampires prefer to be gentlemen about the whole neck-biting thing?
Yes, I haven't watched Nosferatu for a while but I didn't she also have a stake that she did not use?
Gentlemen vampires? Is that something like ninja wizards? Mind you, mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice would make an excellent gentlemen vampire ("In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. Miss Elizabeth, you must allow me to bite you ardently to drink your blood.").
Old 02-14-2010, 07:53 PM

The lyrics of "Day-O" are the words of a banana harvester, and the "Tally man" is counting the bananas to determine the singer's pay.

DUH.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

For some reason, I'm suddenly (after 15 pages) reminded of one of my roommates, my freshman year of college (1995): "Hey, did you know that The Dukes of Hazzard was about moonshiners?".
Old 02-14-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoid View Post
The lyrics of "Day-O" are the words of a banana harvester, and the "Tally man" is counting the bananas to determine the singer's pay.

DUH.
This is referenced in the World of Warcraft game: one of the foods you can eat is the Tel'Abim Banana (sort of a mixed up "tally me banana"

Last edited by Mister Rik; 02-14-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Rik View Post
This is referenced in the World of Warcraft game: one of the foods you can eat is the Tel'Abim Banana (sort of a mixed up "tally me banana"
i love all the references that WoW makes to pop culture. The thing that always kills me is when it's a pop culture reference I don't know - and then I see the movie or film and go - oh my! that's what that's about!
Old 02-15-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Gentlemen vampires? Is that something like ninja wizards? Mind you, mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice would make an excellent gentlemen vampire ("In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. Miss Elizabeth, you must allow me to bite you ardently to drink your blood.").
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single vampire in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a pure-hearted woman...to bite.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:13 PM

Oh! I remembered another:

Beyonce quotes one of Buzz Lightyear's most famous quotes from Toy Story in "Single Ladies"- "To infinity and beyond!" I didn't notice that for months.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:58 PM

Dunno if this counts but the Pepridge Farm cookies are all named after cities in Europe.

Milano
Veneza
Brussels

I think there are more but I can't remember. Also Chessmen need not apply
Old 02-16-2010, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

I watched the Big Bang Theory for a while before I realized the opening starts in black & white, then goes to sepia and the last few seconds are in color.

A cool way of portraying the timeline.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single vampire in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a pure-hearted woman...to bite.
You know, we should continue this. If there is room for P&P&Zombies, then there certainly is room for P&P&The Undead.
* Obviously lady Catherine is an age old vampire bat.
* Mr. Collins is to her as Renfield is to Dracula, a spineless ghoul
* Darcy is a vampire who restrains from drinking human blood because he respects human life, but he finds Elizabeth Bennett too enchanting to resist.

I'm not sure about Wickham and mr. Bingley. What do you think?
Old 02-16-2010, 04:21 PM

Mr. Wickham is a vampire, but either lies about it or lies about his feeding habits. The Darcy family underestimated the risk he posed until he bit Georgiana. (Was she actually Darcy's sister, or a great-niece? Or was he mortal at the time too, but deliberately became a vampire to better gain vengeance on Wickham?) He later gets his fangs into Lydia Bennett, who thinks vampires are cool.

Mr. Bingley is a human and not strong-willed enough to resist the psychic influence of vampires. Mr. Darcy tries not to exploit his friend's weakness and would deny that Bingley is his Renfield, but he's aware that Bingley will usually go along with his plans. A charming and respectable mortal gentleman is a very useful friend for a vampire to have; someone needs to help with the moving of crates of earth, arranging for passage over running water, etc.

Last edited by Lamia; 02-16-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:18 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Joke that has been sitting in the popular consciousness for 35 years, waiting to smack me in the head:

Andy Kaufman did what some consider the best Elvis impersonation of all time. I've heard it said that most modern Elvis impersonators are in fact impersonating Kaufman impersonating Elvis. But this wasn't the schtick Kaufman rode to fame. Kaufman's signature (for many) routine was his "little foreign man" bit, which eventually became his Latka Gravas character. This character's catch phrase was "thank you veddy much."

So, here's how it worked when Andy first did Elvis on Saturday Night Live: He came out as "little foreign man" and did a couple of impersonations in that character, badly, then announced that he wanted to do Elvis.

Applause. Laughter. "Thank you veddy much."

Costume change as "Also sprach Zarathustra" music plays, building to Kaufman turning around to face the audience in full Elvis mode.

Applause. Laughter. "Thankyou veruh much."

Same line, different characters. Comedy genius. That I never connected until just last night.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Mr. Wickham is a vampire, but either lies about it or lies about his feeding habits. The Darcy family underestimated the risk he posed until he bit Georgiana. (Was she actually Darcy's sister, or a great-niece? Or was he mortal at the time too, but deliberately became a vampire to better gain vengeance on Wickham?) He later gets his fangs into Lydia Bennett, who thinks vampires are cool.

Mr. Bingley is a human and not strong-willed enough to resist the psychic influence of vampires. Mr. Darcy tries not to exploit his friend's weakness and would deny that Bingley is his Renfield, but he's aware that Bingley will usually go along with his plans. A charming and respectable mortal gentleman is a very useful friend for a vampire to have; someone needs to help with the moving of crates of earth, arranging for passage over running water, etc.
What about Bingley's sisters?
Or perhaps Wickham is really a vampire hunter looking to stake Darcy.
But we must be careful not sell the rights to the movie too early and too cheap. And get 50% from all merchandise profit.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
And even if the camera moved and the mirror were free-standing in the middle of the room, if they can move the camera precisely and in a replicable way, they could make one run through the scene without the actors, then put a green cover over the mirror, and do it again with the vampire actor (though I don't know when the green-screen process was invented; probably some time after colored film, or at least after Technicolor).
I was curious, so I Wiki'd it.
Quote:
Prior to the introduction of digital compositing, the process was a complex and time consuming one known as "travelling matte". The blue screen and traveling matte method were developed in the 1930s at RKO Radio Pictures and other studios, and were used to create special effects for The Thief of Bagdad (1940).
So Nosferatu was at least a decade too early for this particular technology.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:56 AM

The Queen song "We Are the Champions" is a waltz!

Well, it's in waltz time anyway - 3/4 rather than the usual 4/4 used for anthems.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:13 AM

Dave Brubeck's Take Five is in 5/4 time. I found that out about 3 months ago while I was looking at sheet music for it.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

The Blues Brothers: in the "Shake a Tail Feather" sequence is a woman in a red shirt and a very flimsy bra.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 02-22-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
Dave Brubeck's Take Five is in 5/4 time. I found that out about 3 months ago while I was looking at sheet music for it.
Think bigger. None of the songs on that album are in "normal" time signatures.

Of course, the album is titled Time Out.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodyharmonius View Post
Wasn't it in the early 90s when bands were trying to show how "old school" and "deep" they were by getting vinyl pressings of their albums released in addition to their tapes and CDs?

Just thinking aloud. I remember the Fugees doing that - and thinking how pretentious that seemed to me.
Pretty much all dance music intended for clubs and the like was released on vinyl in that time, usually in 12" format with 2 to 4 tracks on a disc or as a full album. Obscurer dance tracks were (and possibly still are) frequently vinyl only. Much easier to deal with as a DJ than CDs.

To have the ease of handling of vinyl with all the benefits of digital recordings, there's a number of options like Final Scratch - and the first version of that was only released in 1998, when computers were just about fast enough to handle that sort of thing.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:27 PM

I watched the original Planet of the Apes several times before I picked up on the 'See no evil, hear no evil' bit.

http://www.mediacircus.net/pota.html
Old 02-22-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACI View Post
The Queen song "We Are the Champions" is a waltz!

Well, it's in waltz time anyway - 3/4 rather than the usual 4/4 used for anthems.
Isn't "We Are the Champions" in 6/8? ("one two three FOUR five six" vs "ONE two three, ONE two three")
Old 02-24-2010, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

About three months ago I read Maraget Salinger's book about her daddy J.D.

I was re-reading several parts yesterday when I looked at the title: Dream Catcher. As in Catcher in the Rye.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:36 PM

It wasn't until today, some 40 to 45 years later that I realized they got the name for Yogi Bear from Yogi Berra. I guess I'm not smarter than the average bear.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
About a week or two ago when I was watching "Glee", I suddenly realized that the hand gesture they use for the "L" in the logo (index finger up, thumb out) is the same gesture used to indicate "Loser", which is what everyone in the Glee Club is considered by the rest of the school.
The cast o Glee is on Oprah tomorrow, Wednesday April 7th. The TV ad promoting the show start the "Wednesday" with the hand signal "W" used for Winner, which the show is.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 04-06-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

As a child, my favorite cereal was Trix. I loved the taste, the colors, and the commercials.

So why did it just pop into my head this morning that Trix = tricks = magic = rabbit?
Old 10-07-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Litella View Post
It wasn't until today, some 40 to 45 years later that I realized they got the name for Yogi Bear from Yogi Berra. I guess I'm not smarter than the average bear.
Seven months late: too bad you're wrong, at least according to his creators.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shot From Guns View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Litella View Post
Seven months late: too bad you're wrong, at least according to his creators.
They denied getting the name from Yogi Berra, but does anyone find that to be plausible? I'm sure it wasn't based on his character, but there's no way they didn't borrow the name.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

We discussed this in another thread. Hanna and Barbera probably denied taking the name from Yogi Berra to avoid getting sued. Berra probably decided that it wasn't worth the bother suing them, since he found it to be good publicity. My memory from childhood was that everybody knew what the name Yogi Bear was based on.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee View Post
I've got you beat for obliviousness. I was dragged to see "some old jazz dude" in college. Hey, I'm a rock 'n' roll guy, but this Brubeck character wasn't bad...

But I didn't like all the hecklers. I mean, yelling at this guy to take a break? That's just rude.

(Yeah, a good chunk of the audience would randomly call out "Take Five!")

ps: Annie, thanks for resurrecting an always-appropriate thread.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Wagner View Post
My memory from childhood was that everybody knew what the name Yogi Bear was based on.
Everybody has "known" a lot of things that were wrong. Did they ever posit a reasonable alternative explanation or did they just deny that Bear was based on Berra?

Last edited by Shot From Guns; 10-08-2010 at 11:06 AM.