Old 03-20-2017, 09:15 AM

I was watching the movie Weird Science the other day and in one of the scenes a band of warrior/mutants interrupts the party Anthony Michael Hall is throwing. The head mutant struck me as overly familiar for some reason, which was strange as I've seen this movie plenty of times in the past. It finally dawned on me that the actor (Vernon Wells) was playing his same exact character from The Road Warrior.

Yeah, I know that most people probably caught onto this, but for some reason I never made the connection.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Not obvious, but I just noticed that the latest episode of "The Goldberg's" was directed by Kevin Smith (Jay & Silent Bob). Go figure...
Old 04-08-2017, 01:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post

As for With a Little Help from My Friends, I originally thought the line was:

"What would you think if I sang out a tune..."

mmm

It's not?

I always wondered why they would expect someone to walk out on them for singing out a tune. They were the Beatles, after all.

Oh, speaking of. Ask me how long I was fan before I realized they were the Beatles. I'd heard the story of Paul's weird dream, ''We're the Beatles, with an A!'' but I thought it was just them being nonsensical as usual. I didn't get it was a music-related pun until a few months ago.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconFinder View Post
As for the Audi thing, I would assume A=Audi. The numbers would stand for the number of cylinders it has.
It would appear that the numbers do not reflect cylinder counts.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:48 PM

I haven't read this whole thread, so maybe someone else already pointed this one out.

I've heard Dolly Parton's song "9 to 5" probably hundreds of times. This morning I was at the grocery store and the song came on the store radio. All of a sudden I realized the "tick-ticka-tick" percussion line in the song is a typewriter!
Old 04-08-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Girlfriend View Post
I haven't read this whole thread, so maybe someone else already pointed this one out.

I've heard Dolly Parton's song "9 to 5" probably hundreds of times. This morning I was at the grocery store and the song came on the store radio. All of a sudden I realized the "tick-ticka-tick" percussion line in the song is a typewriter!
In a similar vein, I've heard "California Dreamin'" by the Mamas and the Papas for well over 40 years now, and was always bugged by the line "You know the Preacher's like a Cove... (Preacherrrr...like...a...cooooooooove...)"

And a few days ago, as I'm standing in line at Walgreens and it comes on I hear "You know the Preacher likes the cold...(Preacherrrr...likes...the...coooooooooold....")"

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH! Well THAT lyric suddenly made sense.

Last edited by Don Draper; 04-08-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Girlfriend View Post

Another musical background one. The 80's song She Drives Me Crazy by Fine Young Cannibals.
After the lead singer sings "she drives me crazy", I always thought the backing vocals were just going "Oooo - Oooo". This weekend I finally caught that they are saying "Koo-Koo" as in crazy = cuckoo.
Old 05-03-2017, 03:19 PM

When characters like Yosemite Sam are saying "varmint", is that meant to be a bastardization of "vermin"? Never even crossed my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2017, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspartan View Post
When characters like Yosemite Sam are saying "varmint", is that meant to be a bastardization of "vermin"? Never even crossed my mind.

Well, hmm. Yes, "Varmint" came from "vermin" but it has been around since at least 1829 with a version going back to the 1530's.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post

It's not?

I always wondered why they would expect someone to walk out on them for singing out a tune. They were the Beatles, after all.

Oh, speaking of. Ask me how long I was fan before I realized they were the Beatles. I'd heard the story of Paul's weird dream, ''We're the Beatles, with an A!'' but I thought it was just them being nonsensical as usual. I didn't get it was a music-related pun until a few months ago.
It's "... Sang out of tune"
Old 05-03-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I don't know if this has been mentioned before (it is a long thread, this is my first dipping of my toe in it) but this makes me think of the James Taylor song Carolina in My Mind--why would a friend of his hit him from behind?
Old 05-20-2017, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

It took me a while to get the idea behind Kristofferson's The Pilgrims lyrics;

From the rocking of the cradle to the rolling of the hearse
The going up was worth the coming down.

Get it? Rock and roll.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

When I graduated from high school in 1974, one of my gifts was Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album. I became very familiar with most of the songs and had their lyrics memorized.

"Saturday Night's All Right For Fighting" for instance. For more than forty years, I was struck by the discrepancy between Elton's East End Bad Boy overall hooligan nature, and the fact that he was a really supportive brother to his sister, who must surely be going through school enduring taunts like "metal mouth."

He was so supportive that he even sang that she looked "cute" in her braces and boots (and handful of grease in her hair). It never occurred to me until last year that he was talking about her suspenders, NOT her orthodontic hardware.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 05-23-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
He was so supportive that he even sang that she looked "cute" in her braces and boots (and handful of grease in her hair). It never occurred to me until last year that he was talking about her suspenders, NOT her orthodontic hardware.
"Suspenders" in the American sense of the things that hold up your pants, and not in the British sense of the things that hold up your stockings, right?

Last edited by terentii; 05-23-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
This is an old one but another thread spurred it to memory. There's a Far Side comic with a couple of scientists staring at some goofy looking people behind a pane of glass. The caption is the lead scientist saying "Yes, they're all fools, gentlemen. But the question remains: What kind of fools are they?"

In my defense, the first time I read that comic I was likely in the single digits and not entirely familiar with the phrase "What kind of fool would...?" That doesn't explain the hundreds of other times I read the comic while re-reading my collection until one day, some 25+ years later, I'd be sitting in my car thinking of something unrelated and then audibly say "OOOOHHHHHhhhhh...."

That was a real event that I still vividly remember.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
I always assumed that the caption was inspired by the 1962 song What Kind of Fool Am I?:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Kind_of_Fool_Am_I%3F

So, apparently, does Wikipedia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blistering Barnacle View Post
What kind of fool would think that?!
Anthony Newley.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was similarly confused when I first read The Hobbit, and in the opening paragraphs was told that Bilbo leaned back in his chair and stuck his thumb inside his braces. I couldn't figure out why the hobbit would be putting his thumb in his mouth, especially since he was smoking his pipe at the time. It didn't occur to me until later that this was a British book, the hobbits, with their medieval level of technology probably didn't have advanced orthodontics, and Tolkien undoubtedly meant what we Americans call "suspenders", for holding up pants.

But I still get that mental image of Bilbo sucking on his thumb while talking to Gandalf.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Well, I didn't know until JUST NOW!

My contribution:

I just watched Star Wars, but the Special Edition. I've managed to only see it a few times compared to the hundred or so of the "real" version.

In the Deathstar attack, I always snarkily replied to Luke after he cockily says he'll have no trouble pulling up out of the trench: "It'll be just like Beggar's Canyon back home" with a "But, I've never flown Beggar's Canyon!" Well, now with the deleted scenes added, I note that the guy he's talking to isn't some random rebel, but Biggs, his buddy from Tattooine. Hmm, maybe he HAS flown into Beggar's Canyon, and it's not a stupid line.

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 05-23-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
In the Deathstar attack, I always snarkily replied to Luke after he cockily says he'll have no trouble pulling up out of the trench: "It'll be just like Beggar's Canyon back home" with a "But, I've never flown Beggar's Canyon!" Well, now with the deleted scenes added, I note that the guy he's talking to isn't some random rebel, but Biggs, his buddy from Tattooine. Hmm, maybe he HAS flown into Beggar's Canyon, and it's not a stupid line.
I've been chastised in the past for saying it was dumb to cut Biggs' scenes out of the original movie because he also mentions him after the two robots are bought: "Oh, Biggs was right. I'm never gonna get out of here!"

Evidently SOME people think we should automatically fill in the holes when faced with discontinuities like this. On the other hand, everyone I've ever known who saw the movie at the same time just looked around in bewilderment: "Biggs? Who's Biggs?"
Old 05-23-2017, 11:52 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

The Biggs scene was needed to fill in some holes, but I can see why Richard Chew cut it. It interrupted the overall flow.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

I'm currently listening to the audiobook of Frederick Forsyth's The Day of the Jackal, a book I've read and re-read countless times, but this is the first time I've listened to it. As I've often observed, you catch different things when you listen to a book, rather than reading it.

In this case, it's a detail, the facts of which I was unaware of when first I read the book, and which I guess I glossed over on more recent readings.

It's in the section where Forsyth gives the backstory of Goosens, "The Armorer", who provides The Jackal with his stripped-down assassin's rifle. He operates a "superb" forge on his premises, which the police are naturally suspicious of. But when they searched it, they found nothing, except indications that he used the forge to make medallions and copies of the city statues for the tourist trade. In fact, he gives the officers one of his replicas, "as a token of his esteem for their work".

All well and good, but I hadn't realized the significance of the statue's name. It was

SPOILER:
The Manneken Pis, the one of the little boy urinating:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manneken_Pis

So what I took as an innocent descriptive phrase was actually a sarcastic remark. "A token of his esteem", indeed!
Old 06-18-2017, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

I'm not sure if this ia a reference or just a coincidence, but I just noticed that the movie Cat in the Hat takes place in the town of Anville. The TV series Preacher takes place in the town of Anneville(Sp?).

Last edited by furryman; 06-18-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:53 PM

I just got the brilliance of the title 'Forever War'. It's forever relative to the people on Earth and the reader sort of. It creates this dissonance as the reader identifies with the soldiers for whom only a few months or years pass, but the reader sees the words year: 3,011. And thinks that's forever.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:28 AM

I'm watching Zootopia for the bazillionth time, when something finally struck me. Nick and Judy have been brought before Mr. Big, and he's telling her why Mr. Big does not like him.
" I um... I may have sold him, a very expensive wool rug. That was made from the fur, of a skunk... 's butt."

Now, I don't recall seeing any skunks amongst the citizenry, but there's certainly no reason that skunks wouldn't be sentient as well. So Nick brought Mr. Big...the rough equivalent of a humanskin rug.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:47 AM

Might have been sheared, rather than skinned.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
In a similar vein, I've heard "California Dreamin'" by the Mamas and the Papas for well over 40 years now, and was always bugged by the line "You know the Preacher's like a Cove... (Preacherrrr...like...a...cooooooooove...)"

And a few days ago, as I'm standing in line at Walgreens and it comes on I hear "You know the Preacher likes the cold...(Preacherrrr...likes...the...coooooooooold....")"

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH! Well THAT lyric suddenly made sense.
This is a really late reply, and I'm not going to a lyrics site to check - but isn't it "the preacher lights the coal, he knows I'm going to stay"? As in lights the furnace to keep the church warm over night for the narrator?
Old 06-20-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
This is a really late reply, and I'm not going to a lyrics site to check - but isn't it "the preacher lights the coal, he knows I'm going to stay"? As in lights the furnace to keep the church warm over night for the narrator?
Th preacher likes the cold because it forces people to seek shelter inside the church, ensuring him a steady stream of customers.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
I'm watching Zootopia for the bazillionth time, when something finally struck me. Nick and Judy have been brought before Mr. Big, and he's telling her why Mr. Big does not like him.
" I um... I may have sold him, a very expensive wool rug. That was made from the fur, of a skunk... 's butt."

Now, I don't recall seeing any skunks amongst the citizenry, but there's certainly no reason that skunks wouldn't be sentient as well. So Nick brought Mr. Big...the rough equivalent of a humanskin rug.

I would assume the joke is that he just got him a rug that smelled of a skunk.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:12 PM

And I thought it was "The preacher'd like to go" but he can't, until our guy leaves.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:20 AM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post

He said he got him a wool rug, not a sheepskin rug. Wool rugs don't usually have skins attached, so presumably, the skunk rug also didn't have skin attached, and was just made of woven skunk fur.

So Nick brought Mr. Big... the rough equivalent of a rug woven out of human hair. Still pretty creepy, but at least it's not "Hannibal Lector" creepy.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:38 AM

A rug woven out of human ass hair.

From someone with known questionable hygiene.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:09 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:

It's not?

Paul's dream? I thought the spelling was an obvious musical pun as well as an homage to Buddy Holly's Crickets; and it was John who told the press that "a man in a flaming pie" appeared to them at the window and declared "Beatles with an "A".

Last edited by TreacherousCretin; 06-21-2017 at 02:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-21-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Th preacher likes the cold because it forces people to seek shelter inside the church, ensuring him a steady stream of customers.
That makes some sense and the lyrics sites agree with you. I listened to it again, and it's probably because my version is ingrained in my memory, but I still hear 'lights the coal' - of course, nobody is enunciating, so it's possible I'm wrong (I can almost hear the 'k' and the 'd' on the main line, but neither is there at all on the echo, to my hearing).
Old 06-21-2017, 07:44 PM

In Pink Floyd's Welcome to the Machine, I'd always interpreted the line "scouting for boys" as unsavory, but it didn't quite fit the tone of the lines around it.

Until just recently (about 30 years after first hearing the song) I realized they were referring to the Boy Scout's manual, "Scouting for Boys". The meaning was just that the song's subject had been raised in a conventional, affluent, wholesome family environment.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:20 AM

Not sure how much Italian you got to know for that to be obvious, but pin-occhio means "wooden eye".
Old 06-22-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk fusion View Post
Not sure how much Italian you got to know for that to be obvious, but pin-occhio means "wooden eye".

"Would I?!!!"

"Harelip!"
Old 06-22-2017, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoying Buzz View Post
In Pink Floyd's Welcome to the Machine, I'd always interpreted the line "scouting for boys" as unsavory, but it didn't quite fit the tone of the lines around it.

Until just recently (about 30 years after first hearing the song) I realized they were referring to the Boy Scout's manual, "Scouting for Boys". The meaning was just that the song's subject had been raised in a conventional, affluent, wholesome family environment.
Whoa. Thank you.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Well, that's eye-opening! Thanks.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:

Yes, that's how I took it, with an emphasis on "conventional" or "vanilla", with a "Pleasant Valley Sunday" vibe. Not necessarily affluent.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
That makes some sense and the lyrics sites agree with you. I listened to it again, and it's probably because my version is ingrained in my memory, but I still hear 'lights the coal' - of course, nobody is enunciating, so it's possible I'm wrong (I can almost hear the 'k' and the 'd' on the main line, but neither is there at all on the echo, to my hearing).
I always thought the line went:

"The preacher, like the cold, knows I'm going to stay". Sentient weather. Eh, it's a song,
Old 06-22-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:

Just gotta add that,

"You bought a guitar to punish your ma"

refers to typical teen acting out.

The line

"You didn't like school, you know your nobody's fool"

caused me some confusion.

I used to think that he was saying that he was no fool to distrust the value of what he was being taught. Now I'm older, and I think it refers to more vanilla teen rebellion (I.e. A stronger version of "You think your nobody's fool".
Old 06-23-2017, 10:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blistering Barnacle View Post
"Would I?!!!"

"Harelip!"
This is why SDMB needs a Like Button.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:30 AM
Charter Member

Okay, confession time. Until re-opening this thread just now and seeing the posts, I always thought the line in California Dreaming was "The preacher liked my coat".

Stop laughing. It sort of makes sense. I figured the singer as saying the preacher was judging him based on the quality of his clothing rather than his quality as a person.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:40 AM
Charter Member

As long as I'm embarrassing myself, here's another one. I watch Facts videos on YouTube. And there's a woman in the videos who, at some point, cut her hair short and started wearing glasses. And somehow, I missed the fact that she had changed her appearance. I thought it was a different woman.

In my defense, they switch people around a lot in the videos and nobody appears on a regular basis. But I still feel like one of the people at the Daily Planet who couldn't figure out Clark Kent and Superman are the same person.
Old 06-25-2017, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Can you link to both looks for this woman?
Old 06-28-2017, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Les Miserables's reprise lyrics:

Do you hear the people sing
Lost in the valley of the night
It is the music of a people
Who are climbing to the light

For the wretched of the earth
There is a flame that never dies
Even the darkest night will end
And the sun will rise.

They will live again in freedom
In the garden of the Lord
We will walk behind the plough-share
We will put away the sword
The chain will be broken
And all men will have their reward!

While most people get the plough-share/sword Bible reference, the valley of the night is a reference to "as I go through the valley of the shadow of death" and "the garden of the Lord" is a reference to Eden.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Fleetwood Mac's Rumors has been one of my favorite albums of all time. Since 1977, I have probably bought this one at least four times.

Doing some work now, decided to play some of the songs on YouTube. And, 40 years after it was released, I just noticed Mick Fleetwood's dangling "testicles" on the album cover.

Last edited by JohnT; 07-09-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:02 PM

Just this evening it dawned on me that the voice of Fozzie Bear is provided by Frank OZ.

Oh, and if it turns out I've already posted that in this thread, please don't tell me.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:30 PM

Just realized this after watching E.T. on the Sundance channel (still in progress as of this post): When E.T. goes out with the boys on Halloween night and sees a kid dressed up as Yoda, a few bars from Yoda's theme from Empire Strikes Back play.

Granted, I haven't seen E.T. a million times or anything; probably less than ten. Still made me laugh with delight, though!
Old 08-18-2017, 09:01 AM

As a little kid, probably understandably, I didn't quite get the intended meaning of a line in Sam Cooke's Another Saturday Night...

"Instead of being my deliverance, she had a strange resemblance to a cat named Frankenstein."

Why is there a cat named Frankenstein? Did this girl look like a cat?
Old 08-18-2017, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspartan View Post
As a little kid, probably understandably, I didn't quite get the intended meaning of a line in Sam Cooke's Another Saturday Night...

"Instead of being my deliverance, she had a strange resemblance to a cat named Frankenstein."

Why is there a cat named Frankenstein? Did this girl look like a cat?
Until just now, I didn't realize this was originally a Sam Cooke song. I was only familiar with the version by Cat Stevens (who isn't a literal cat either).