Old 11-16-2017, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur866 View Post
"Look, furryman, you're my brother. I know how you felt when dad died. I know how you struggled when your daughter, Cynthia, whosename we both know, got sick. But that doesn't mean you can avoid this meeting with Mr Anderson, who we both know is dad's lawyer. My wife Michelle agrees, and so does Carol, who is the person who is married to you. Also, you have a dog named Archibald. "
This reminds me of one of the best /worst lines in Troll 2. Something like, "I know your grandpa's death has been very hard, on you, Julia, and also me, his daughter."

That movie is a treasure trove of bad dialogue.

I'm afraid I'm guilty of characters repeating names to each other in my own fiction. But you know what? I do that in real life all the time, it's like an affectation in my own speech. That's possibly unusual, but probably why I write it in fiction. I wonder if Heinlein talked that way.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

I just realized recently that Dumbing of Age has mouseover text. And I'm trying to decide if it's worth going back and rereading all of them.

I was also watching some West Wing clips on YouTube and I belatedly realized that Margaret was gay.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
I'm afraid I'm guilty of characters repeating names to each other in my own fiction. But you know what? I do that in real life all the time, it's like an affectation in my own speech. That's possibly unusual, but probably why I write it in fiction. I wonder if Heinlein talked that way.
It's an acceptable convenience in written fiction. In real life (or in a play, a movie, or a television episode) you can see the people as they're talking and it's clear who's saying what and to whom. But in written prose, you just have the lines of dialogue. Sometimes the author has to add a written cue so the reader knows who's speaking and who they're speaking to.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
Spice Weasel, I don't remember hearing people talk that way in real life, but I don't know whether that's because it's very unusual or because it's so usual I don't notice it.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:26 PM

I haven't read every post in this thread, but I'm quite confident in saying that I am the thickest person here.

In You're So Vain, I was always confused about the refrain "you probably think this song is about you." I always thought "of course it's about him! What else could it be about? Are you trying to say the song's really about you, Carly? Because it's not. It's clearly about him."

Then it finally hit me: she's saying he's so vain that, even though his name has not once been mentioned, he probably just assumes the song is about him anyway.

Man I'm slow.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSoonIsThen View Post
I haven't read every post in this thread, but I'm quite confident in saying that I am the thickest person here.

In You're So Vain, I was always confused about the refrain "you probably think this song is about you." I always thought "of course it's about him! What else could it be about? Are you trying to say the song's really about you, Carly? Because it's not. It's clearly about him."

Then it finally hit me: she's saying he's so vain that, even though his name has not once been mentioned, he probably just assumes the song is about him anyway.

Man I'm slow.
I always thought she was singing "You had one eye in the mirror as you watched yourself go past." It wasn't until just a few years ago that I realized the line ends "you watched yourself gavotte."

Logical. It rhymes with "apricot."
Old 11-17-2017, 12:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
Spice Weasel, I don't remember hearing people talk that way in real life, but I don't know whether that's because it's very unusual or because it's so usual I don't notice it.
I started an informal Facebook poll on it once and the consensus seems to be that I'm weird. I think it is more common in fiction for the reason described above, but I still have to weed half of them out. Honestly a lot of it for me is the dialog cadence, it could just as well be, "ya know" than a name because two syllables need to go in that place for it to sound right to my ear. I guess if Heinlein does it...
Old 11-17-2017, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Man I'm slow.
My husband sings that to me as "You're so Strange." I tell him it distorts the meaning of the chorus, but he remains unmoved.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:55 AM

That zoom-in shot of the boy who gets left Home Alone in the eponymous movie is (probably) supposed to be a parody of Munch's The Scream.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:47 AM

This may have been mentioned earlier but I used to watch the '66 Batman show all the time growing up. Reruns of it ran perpetually in the afternoon on channel 32 and I always enjoyed it as face value: a televised and colorful interpretation of a crime fighting duo who always had just the right gadget to escape their predicament and would always outfight the villain of the week's goons. The onomatopoeia was just added to the fight scenes to give them a little comic book oomph. Then one day I was watching it and Batman and Robin go to a run down factory to investigate a crime and then there they are outside of the run down factory that has a sign above the door that literally says "Run down factory" and I said "Wait a minute..."
Old 11-17-2017, 11:18 AM

I've listened to Billy Joel's Piano Man about a million times, and always assumed that the manager ("And the manager gives me a smile.") referred to his (the Piano Man's) manager, who presumably booked the gig and showed up to watch. It hit me the other day that he's referring to the venue/bar manager, who is making book with the "pretty good" crowd.

Watching the video (for the first time) I see the manager depicted as a 70's Vegas-Lizard type surrounded by boobs, smoking a cigar, and saluting Joel.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:

Man I'm slow.

I have thought about this one.

My read is the song is not REALLY about him (the apparent focus). It's about her (the singer.)

MORE of the song seems to be about this self-centered guy, but her point is a) she had some dreams that involves a life with him but realizes their futility and b) "you gave away the things you loved, and one of them was me."

The song isn't, in the end, about him. It's about how she feels coming to grips with him shitting on her love for him.

BUT he's so obtuse he can't figure out that's what's bothering her.

It makes more sense if you boil it down to her saying "I'm a wreck because I realize you hardly even notice I'm here. And honestly you probably still are thinking what does this mean to me even now."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2017, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal_fang View Post
I've listened to Billy Joel's Piano Man about a million times, and always assumed that the manager ("And the manager gives me a smile.") referred to his (the Piano Man's) manager, who presumably booked the gig and showed up to watch. It hit me the other day that he's referring to the venue/bar manager, who is making book with the "pretty good" crowd.
Would the pianist in a piano bar even have a manager?
Old 11-17-2017, 12:03 PM

Whilst sitting in traffic, contemplating my steering wheel, it occurred to me that the BMW logo looks kind of like stylized propellers.

Google confirmed that the logo is, indeed, a stylized propeller because BMW started out as an aviations mechanics company duhhhhhhhh!
Old 11-17-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post

I was also watching some West Wing clips on YouTube and I belatedly realized that Margaret was gay.
I never thought so. What evidence do you have?
Old 11-17-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnspartan View Post
I have thought about this one.

My read is the song is not REALLY about him (the apparent focus). It's about her (the singer.)

MORE of the song seems to be about this self-centered guy, but her point is a) she had some dreams that involves a life with him but realizes their futility and b) "you gave away the things you loved, and one of them was me."

The song isn't, in the end, about him. It's about how she feels coming to grips with him shitting on her love for him.

BUT he's so obtuse he can't figure out that's what's bothering her.

It makes more sense if you boil it down to her saying "I'm a wreck because I realize you hardly even notice I'm here. And honestly you probably still are thinking what does this mean to me even now."
I thought the official answer was, first she's singing about one guy -- the dude who wore an apricot-colored scarf and knew how to gavotte, a man who may or may not be Mick Jagger -- and then she's singing about another, who (a) talked a good game about them being a pretty pair, and who (b) we'll just assume is Warren Beatty; and then she's singing about some third guy. Which means that, no matter who you are, most of the time she's singing about someone else.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Would the pianist in a piano bar even have a manager?
Nope, I've come to realize.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:06 PM
Horrified Onlooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper View Post
I thought the official answer was, first she's singing about one guy -- the dude who wore an apricot-colored scarf and knew how to gavotte, a man who may or may not be Mick Jagger -- and then she's singing about another, who (a) talked a good game about them being a pretty pair, and who (b) we'll just assume is Warren Beatty; and then she's singing about some third guy. Which means that, no matter who you are, most of the time she's singing about someone else.
It's worth remembering that the background vocal in the song's chorus happens to be Mick Jagger.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse Chaser View Post
I never thought so. What evidence do you have?
No other reasonable way to interpret this scene.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Margaret got into everyone's business and was quirky as hell. Simply wanting to check out the Hot Girl is as much about her quirkiness as anything. IMHO.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorite books and one of my favorite movies.

It took the made-up trivia thread to realize that attorney Atticus Finch is a bird who gets mocked for defending Tom Robinson. FINCH being his last name is obviously not a coincidence, but it never occurred to me.

I do like to think that Dennis Finch of Just Shoot Me is his grandson.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Margaret got into everyone's business and was quirky as hell. Simply wanting to check out the Hot Girl is as much about her quirkiness as anything. IMHO.
That's not the way jokes work. If Margaret was just being quirky then there was no need to have the men show up before her. The scene only works if you see the men's appearances as the set-up and Margaret's appearance as the punchline.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
She's just being curious. She saw all the guys falling over themselves to get in there and went to see what all the fuss was about. Any woman would do the same.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu View Post
That zoom-in shot of the boy who gets left Home Alone in the eponymous movie is (probably) supposed to be a parody of Munch's The Scream.
I think it was from a post here that I realised that the mask in the movie Scream is supposed to be a 3D rendering of the face in the painting.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:39 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by furryman View Post
I think it was from a post here that I realised that the mask in the movie Scream is supposed to be a 3D rendering of the face in the painting.
Whoa! Thanks. Just realized that now myself.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

I'd like to see a reliable cite for that. They aren't really all that similar.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:02 PM

For years, I thought the line in Boney M's "Rasputin" was "and his eyes were flaming coals."

Watching them on YouTube the other day, I could tell from the way their mouths moved that it's "in his eyes a flaming glow."
Old 11-20-2017, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
I'd like to see a reliable cite for that. They aren't really all that similar.
[Shrugs] The movie is named Scream. Imagine someone wearing that mask holding there hands up to their face, like in the painting.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Shrug right back at you. Have you taken a good look at them both?

The Scream
Ghostface

1) The Scream has a human face, with skin. Ghostface is a skull.

2) The Scream has round eyes, Ghostface has eyes shaped like a ,

3) The Scream has eyelids and irises. Ghostface has empty black holes.

4) The Scream has two nostrils. Ghostface has a slit shaped like ^

5) The Scream has a short chin. Ghostface has a chin at least twice as long.

All I can say is, if the mask was deliberately based on the painting, they did a really lousy job of it.

Last edited by Peter Morris; 11-20-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

This is convinced the mask is at least partly based on the painting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostface_(Scream)
Old 11-20-2017, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

I saw that. Uncited claim. I think I'll add a citation needed tag to it.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:10 AM

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-horror-788393
Quote:

"As an animation junkie," she continues, explaining her inspiration, "I loved the old Max Fleischer cartoons, and Betty Boop was one of my faves. Those faces were mostly inspired by the ghosts from some of those old 1930s black-and-white cartoons."

This flies in the face of the popular assumption that the famed Edvard Munch painting The Scream was the primary inspiration for the mask. "That whole inspired-by-Munch thing is a pat way to write off the design," Sleiertin-Linden says, "but it's not where my influence came from."
Old 11-21-2017, 09:12 AM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
*in general* people use nicknames and shortened names more than full names with friends and family unless they are angry - Steph instead of Stephanie for friendly, and then you add in a middle name or last name when angry - Stephanie Michelle Plum, what do you think you are doing!!! [you know the whole angry mom thing]

I variously call mrAru Rob, Andy, McGrew, butthead and fucker [it is a military thing] when not pissed. He knows I am peeved when I just use his surname ...
Old 11-25-2017, 11:08 PM

There's kind of an odd scene in Men in Black. Just after Will Smith decides to join the MiB team, he goes into the vent building and rides the elevator down with Tommy Lee Jones. The elevator stops, the doors open, and they step onto a little platform that overlooks the whole operations floor, and then the platform lowers them down the rest of the way. How does that make any sense architecturally? Why doesn't the regular elevator just take them the extra twenty feet down to the actual floor?
Old 11-25-2017, 11:17 PM

I thought of another one. Why doesn't the Red October submarine (in The Hunt for Red October, or course) have rearward-facing sonar? We're told that you can get behind a submarine and follow it undetected because the screws on the back create too much noise and create a blind spot for the sonar. But when Red October is using its secret, silent drive, they turn off the screws. If it's so quiet that other subs can't hear them, they should be able to listen to what's behind them without having to turn in circles to check.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
There's kind of an odd scene in Men in Black. Just after Will Smith decides to join the MiB team, he goes into the vent building and rides the elevator down with Tommy Lee Jones. The elevator stops, the doors open, and they step onto a little platform that overlooks the whole operations floor, and then the platform lowers them down the rest of the way. How does that make any sense architecturally? Why doesn't the regular elevator just take them the extra twenty feet down to the actual floor?
The obvious answer is that the first elevator was part of the original vent building architecture/construction, to get down into a big empty space into which all the MiB stuff was installed, at which point the fancy one took over.

(Or even more likely, it just looked cool... but it doesn't strike me as implausible that a structure which had to look one way above ground and one way below ground would have some rough edges at the seams...)
Old 11-26-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
I thought of another one. Why doesn't the Red October submarine (in The Hunt for Red October, or course) have rearward-facing sonar? We're told that you can get behind a submarine and follow it undetected because the screws on the back create too much noise and create a blind spot for the sonar. But when Red October is using its secret, silent drive, they turn off the screws. If it's so quiet that other subs can't hear them, they should be able to listen to what's behind them without having to turn in circles to check.
On a regular sub the noise from the propeller(s) would overwhelm the sonar (or so I assume). For a super-quiet sub like the Red October, your idea is a great one! I suppose the author did not think of it, or focused on standard sub tactics for the book.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Knig View Post
On a regular sub the noise from the propeller(s) would overwhelm the sonar (or so I assume). For a super-quiet sub like the Red October, your idea is a great one! I suppose the author did not think of it, or focused on standard sub tactics for the book.
Don't subs today have towed sonar arrays that trail behind the boat and are omnidirectional?
Old 11-30-2017, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Not very obvious, but my brain connected the two last night:

Charles Schulz's Peanuts had Snoopy reading a series of books by Miss Helen Sweetstory about the six bunny wunnies. The last title in the series as "The Six Bunny Wunnies visit Plains, Georgia". The place of President Jimmy Carter's famous killer rabbit incident.

God thing he didn't see six killer bunny wunnies.

Last edited by Annie-Xmas; 11-30-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:17 AM

I just realized, today that "Will and Grace" are both common nouns as well as proper nouns, and that this is probably ironically intentional.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

I just rewatched the Alastair Sim A Christmas Carol (Scrooge). In the scene where Scrooge wakes up on Christmas morning, he says, "I'll stand on my head" and proceeds to do so.

His housekeeper runs screaming from the room.

I alway thought it was because he was acting so bizarrely. This time, I realized he was wearing a nightshirt -- with fell down, revealing his underwear -- or more if he didn't wear any. No wonder she left screaming.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller0910 View Post
I just realized, today that "Will and Grace" are both common nouns as well as proper nouns, and that this is probably ironically intentional.
I think I posted something about this in this very thread about four years ago (?). But more than just that, their names are particularly ironic choices.

Will is typically a pushover to Grace, Jack, his parents, etc. He is (sometimes) the voice of reason, but has difficulty asserting himself or putting his foot down and often ends up going along with whatever crazy shenanigans Jack or Grace concoct...because he has no Will power.

Grace is scattered, neurotic, always at loose ends, and has a habit of flailing around awkwardly in the worst possible situations. She lacks social Grace.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:31 AM

For a long time, our local ABC affiliate's tagline was "The One and Only Channel 10."

One and only.

1 & 0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2017, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typo Knig View Post
It's been a long time. Is this an experimental drive that was installed on an existing sub? Even if not, I could see funding considerations determining that the drive gets proved in the first, pilot sub and then an optimal design using the proven technology gets made later, with data from the pilot test.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
It's been a long time. Is this an experimental drive that was installed on an existing sub? Even if not, I could see funding considerations determining that the drive gets proved in the first, pilot sub and then an optimal design using the proven technology gets made later, with data from the pilot test.

Hunt for Red October: The sub was built around the drive. It was (kind of) a prototype, I suppose, at least the first of its class. It had both a stealth drive and regular propellers. I guess they weren’t quite confident in the new drive, or maybe it’s better for cruising than for driving around the parking lot, so to speak.

My college roommate went into mechanical engineering, specialized in vibration, and did some work on quieting subs.

He pointed out to me an error in the scenes where they showed the sub moving on the new caterpillar magneto-hydraulic drive would show the propellers (screws?) motionless (to emphasize that it was the new stealth drive pushing the sub and NOT the screws. He pointed out to me that if the screws were “locked” like that, the water rushing past the screws would make horrible cavitation and noise. It would run quieter if they let the screws “freewheel” like a windmill.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Not very obvious, but my brain connected the two last night:

Charles Schulz's Peanuts had Snoopy reading a series of books by Miss Helen Sweetstory about the six bunny wunnies. The last title in the series as "The Six Bunny Wunnies visit Plains, Georgia". The place of President Jimmy Carter's famous killer rabbit incident.

God thing he didn't see six killer bunny wunnies.
However—the killer rabbit incident took place in 1979 and the bunny wunnies’ visit to Plains appeared in 1977–so no connection unless Schulz was psychic.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

I did not know that. It's one helluva coincidence.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark View Post
Whilst sitting in traffic, contemplating my steering wheel, it occurred to me that the BMW logo looks kind of like stylized propellers.

Google confirmed that the logo is, indeed, a stylized propeller because BMW started out as an aviations mechanics company duhhhhhhhh!
It's also based on the flag of Bavaria, which is where the company is headquartered.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark View Post

Huh. I always thought of it as similar to a draughtman’s symbol for center of mass/ gravity...
Old 12-11-2017, 12:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorite books and one of my favorite movies.

It took the made-up trivia thread to realize that attorney Atticus Finch is a bird who gets mocked for defending Tom Robinson. FINCH being his last name is obviously not a coincidence, but it never occurred to me.

I do like to think that Dennis Finch of Just Shoot Me is his grandson.
So Jem is his father?