Old 08-06-2009, 09:02 PM

Okay, let me see if I can work this out in a way that makes sense.

Voldemort's soul was in eight parts:

SPOILER:
1.) His original body
2.) The diary
3.) The ring
4.) The cup
5.) The snake
6.) The locket
7.) The diadem
8.) Harry

When he tried to kill Harry as an infant, his physical body was destroyed, but his soul was not because it was tethered to the other bits of his soul that were in the horcruxes.

So when Wormtail did the spell in the graveyard, he was only creating a physical body for that "loose" bit of Voldemort's soul to reside in.

Does that help?

Last edited by C K Dexter Haven; 08-07-2009 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Added spoiler tags -- CKDH
Old 08-06-2009, 10:16 PM

In the song "The Sadder But Wiser Girl" from "The Music Man", there's a line...

I hope, and I pray, for a Hester to win just one more "A"

Came up on my iPod's random play recently, and it occurred to me for the first time that "Hester" is Hester Prynne, and he wants her to win one more adulterous "A"...ala The Scarlet Letter! Can't say that I've heard the song a million times, but that sure didn't occur to me when I did the play in school years ago...
Old 08-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeskiPiksi View Post
When he tried to kill Harry as an infant, his physical body was destroyed, but his soul was not because it was tethered to the other bits of his soul that were in the horcruxes.
When is the "tethered" aspect of his loose soul explained in the series. Does Dumbledore explain it to Harry in Book 7?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:26 PM

Something pretty obvious I just remembered. The first time I saw Pulp Fiction, when Jules and Vincent shot Brett and Flock of Seagulls but spared Marvin, I thought it was just because they walked in and just happened to realize that Marvin was an acquaintence of Jules. Only after the second or third viewing did I realize that Marvin had been a spy in Brett's little gang all along, and he set them up by standing at the door at the apppointed time and unlocking it without Jules and Vincent having to knock. That allowed me to feel just a tad less sorry for him later on. But anyway, duh.

Last edited by Koxinga; 08-06-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
When is the "tethered" aspect of his loose soul explained in the series. Does Dumbledore explain it to Harry in Book 7?
No, it's in Half-Blood Prince, Chapter 23, “Horcruxes”.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:27 AM

Thanks, WotNot. Here's the quote, from Slughorn:

Quote:
Well, you split your soul, you see, and hide part of it in an object outside the body. Then, even if one's body is attacked or destroyed, one cannot die, for part of the soul remains earthbound and undamaged. But, of course, existence in such a form...
Old 08-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Right Hand of the Master
Charter Member

Moderator comment: I have changed the titles of the thread, because several posts were reported as "spoilers." I suspect that there's not much of a way of discussing this topic without spoilers, so I've edited thread title... those who don't want any spoilers can avoid the thread.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:18 AM

Mahaloth said:
Quote:
Isn't that bit of soul what is working in the first book (Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone)?
Old 08-07-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
[B]Isn't that bit of soul what is working in the first book (Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone)?
Quite so. As Dumbledore says, a few pages after the part that PeskiPiksi quoted:
Quote:
“The seventh part of his soul, however maimed, resides inside his regenerated body. That was the part of him that lived a spectral existence for so many years during his exile; without that, he has no self at all.”
Old 08-07-2009, 12:32 PM

This was actually told to me by a friend of mine, but I had the "Oh yeah..." reaction to it all the same.

In the movie Clueless they are talking to Ty (Tai?) about her old school and she mentions having had "coke". Took a good 10 years or so of watching that movie before I was told it was cocaine, and not Cola.

Smart me....

And this one is even worse! It took probably a good 2 years of me lightly watching "A Pup Named Scooby Doo" before I realized that every time they solved a mystery and Fred blamed his bully "Red Harring" that it was supposed to be a Red Harring every time.

Last edited by Sir T-Cups; 08-07-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:46 PM

mmmhmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
When I was a kid, I devoured the Narnia books multiple times in a row.

In The voyage of the Dawn Treader there's a section from Eustace's diary where Lucy gives him some of her scant water ration explaining "girls don't get as thirsty as boys.". To which his response is that he always thought as much and that this sort of thing "ought to be more generally known".

So it was about 3 or 4 years of me mentally shouting at the book "Yes We Do you silly bint!" before I realised - duh - she was lying to make him feel better, and he was so clueless that it was a completely wasted effort, since he was selfish enough to have taken it even if he DID realise she was as thirsty as him
I spent 3 or 4 minutes chastizing Eustace for being such a selfish prick and the rest of my life wondering if I could ever be as gracious as Lucy.

Until a year ago, I thought Edwin Mccain was singing "I'll be your crying soldier"..... "crying shoulder" makes much more sense. DUH.

Last edited by dada; 08-07-2009 at 01:49 PM. Reason: add
Old 08-07-2009, 02:53 PM

I can't see the Cowardly Lion as gay. He's certainly a bit effeminate, but I've always thought the Scarecrow to be considerably more so. Also, the CL is well within Bert Lahr's usual shtick, and he wasn't gay.

I'm also not convinced by a gay audience seeing the character as gay. People see lots of things they want to see, whether they're there or not.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:09 PM

Tempted

After years of listening to the Squeeze song "Tempted", I started to think "Hey, you know, I think they're pretending to be the Temptations".

And then I realized why the song is called "Tempted".

(Oh, and here's an obscure one

The late, great Kevin Gilbert has an album called "The Shaming of the True".
It took me years to figure out that it was a play on "The Taming of the Shrew".
Old 08-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly5078 View Post
I can't see the Cowardly Lion as gay. He's certainly a bit effeminate, but I've always thought the Scarecrow to be considerably more so. Also, the CL is well within Bert Lahr's usual shtick, and he wasn't gay.

I'm also not convinced by a gay audience seeing the character as gay. People see lots of things they want to see, whether they're there or not.
I'm not gay, but I always -- well, not always; not until I was close to adulthood -- thought of the Cowardly Lion as "movie gay for the time," like Edward Everett Horton. Kind of a sissy type that was movie code for gay way back when.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 08-07-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I'm not gay, but I always -- well, not always; not until I was close to adulthood -- thought of the Cowardly Lion as "movie gay for the time," like Edward Everett Horton. Kind of a sissy type that was movie code for gay way back when.
Okay, so in this whole Cowardly Lion-gay debate...is it arguable that he's an early positive gay character..? Because when he's first introduced he's trying to deny his sissy nature, but by the time they all get to Oz, he's straight up putting bows in his hair! So is the point of his story that he learned to embrace being a sissy/being gay? Or am I misremembering the movie?
Old 08-07-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodgers01 View Post
Okay, so in this whole Cowardly Lion-gay debate...is it arguable that he's an early positive gay character..?
There is an argument to be made there, yes. Although the character embodies a lot of offensive stereotypes about gay men, his friends always accept him and in the end it's clear that although he seemed like a "sissy" he really was brave all along.
Quote:
Because when he's first introduced he's trying to deny his sissy nature, but by the time they all get to Oz, he's straight up putting bows in his hair! So is the point of his story that he learned to embrace being a sissy/being gay? Or am I misremembering the movie?
You may be misremembering, because at that point they still hadn't met the Wizard yet. The Cowardly Lion openly admitted that he was "born to be a sissy" and did not see any way to change unless he could magically be given more "nerve". He still wanted the Wizard's help with this after going for matching makeovers with Dorothy, so he clearly hadn't learned to fully accept himself. He enjoyed getting his hair done, but he still wanted to become "King of the Forest, not queen".
Old 08-08-2009, 12:56 AM

It took me a few times seeing Dirty Dancing to get the Judy Garland reference.(extra sad because I'm a big fan of Judy)

the reference:

Jennifer Grey's character in DD is named Frances, but everyone calls her Baby.

Judy Garland was born Frances Gumm, but until she took the name Judy Garland, everyone called her Baby.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleWombat View Post
I googled the lyrics and re-read them (has anyone else noticed how often lyrics Web sites are wrong?). I don't get it. It doesn't make sense with the riders being the Joker and the Thief. What makes you think they are? What does the song mean if they are? The lyrics make little enough sense as it is...
That's the genius of the song. The lyrics don't literally make sense, and yet somehow they're still tremendously evocative. Like they're talking about a dream which described literally would just be a random collage of images and yet which seems extremely meaningful somehow.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:09 AM

I posted this a long time ago, but it was only after I myself called someone "fark-wad" that I realized that this is what the evil lord in Shrek was actually named. It seems so obvious NOW, but I never made the connection because of the way it the syllables were pronounced (Far-Quaad, rather than Farq-uaad). It was a real moment for me!
Old 08-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Revenant
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse View Post
I posted this a long time ago, but it was only after I myself called someone "fark-wad" that I realized that this is what the evil lord in Shrek was actually named. It seems so obvious NOW, but I never made the connection because of the way it the syllables were pronounced (Far-Quaad, rather than Farq-uaad). It was a real moment for me!
I don't understand. Is "fark-wad" an actual word, phrase, or insult?
Old 08-09-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleWombat View Post
I don't understand. Is "fark-wad" an actual word, phrase, or insult?
That's what I wondered, too. I thought Farquad was meant to sound something like fuckwad.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian Slit View Post
That's what I wondered, too. I thought Farquad was meant to sound something like fuckwad.
Exactly--I used the insult "farkwad" euphemistically, and that's when I understood what his name referred to.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
It took me years to realize that "Brown Eyed Girl" was actually about anal sex.
I listened to this song for decades and could never figure out where he and his "girl" were going with the "old man with a transistor radio." Finally I Googled the lyrics, only to discover that he was going down an old "mine!" Van, who probably has adenoids the size of golf balls, was never the easiest guy to understand, but that mine shaft certainly makes more sense within the anal context. The transistor radio though...ouch! Sounds painful!
Old 08-09-2009, 11:44 PM

I watched the movie "Strange Brew" countless times before I realized the story was based on Hamlet.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Warrior View Post
Especially because the Beatles are from the UK, where 'fag' is not slang for 'gay man'.
Seconded,if at that time Lennon had sang rich,fag,Jew,he would have been singing "You're a rich cigarette,Jew" which would have made no sense .

While nowadays many Brits would understand what an American means when they say fag,then particulary a fag was and is a cigarette,no Brit would use it to mean homosexual because any British listener including Epstein would draw the tobacco related inference.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markle View Post
After years of listening to the Squeeze song "Tempted", I started to think "Hey, you know, I think they're pretending to be the Temptations".

And then I realized why the song is called "Tempted".
In what way are they pretending to be the Temptations?
Old 08-10-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman1982 View Post
The first is the jingle at the end of Kay Jewelers ads--"Every kiss begins with Kay." I never realized until this past Christmas that they were trying to make a play on words: The letter "K" is spelled "kay" phonetically.
Which makes Jay Bee Jewelers just that much more obvious.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:21 PM

Tempted

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
In what way are they pretending to be the Temptations?
Well, the general style of the song, for one. It's kind of different from other Squeeze songs but very similar to Temptations songs.

But the clincher is when they they have various voices take a line of the song. See for example the part that goes "The people keep on crowding, I'm wishing I was well" with the first line song by the bass and the next by the tenor.

Very similar to things the Temptations do in songs like "I Can't Get Next To You".
Old 08-10-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markle View Post
Well, the general style of the song, for one. It's kind of different from other Squeeze songs but very similar to Temptations songs.

But the clincher is when they they have various voices take a line of the song. See for example the part that goes "The people keep on crowding, I'm wishing I was well" with the first line song by the bass and the next by the tenor.

Very similar to things the Temptations do in songs like "I Can't Get Next To You".
Funny (or stupidly) enough, when I read the original post I thought "wow, I never noticed that but it's true, they are kind of singing like the Temptations" but in my mind's ear I was hearing "Black Coffee in Bed" ( . . .black black black coffee in bed")
Old 08-10-2009, 04:36 PM

At the risk of opening a can of worms... let's get back to Rosemary and the Anti-Christ. There may, in fact, be some significance to the name. It has to do with Mary (as in Magdalene), the Merovingians, the Rosicrucians (the Rosy Cross folks, hence the rose), and the bloodline of the false Christ.

Put on your tinfoil hat, and enjoy!
Old 08-10-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltdown View Post
This is kind of an obscure one -- someone mentioned Lou Reed upthread, and it reminded me.

In Lou Reed's song "Dirty Blvd" he has a line "the TV whores are calling the cops out for a suck."

For the longest time, I thought this was some kind of inscrutable comment on the media.

And then, out of nowhere, I realized -- oh, here TV doesn't mean television, it means transvestite! That makes much more sense!
Old 08-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Sorry, I'm late to this thread...

Regarding Rosie by Jackson Browne:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Bird View Post
Holy crap! I never knew that and I've been listening to that song for years.
When I was in high school we talked about Rosie Palm. And her five daughters....

Regarding Squeeze Box by The Who:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewild View Post
Sure it does. After all, "box" is slang.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

So how many times did you watch the three Star Wars movies before finding out that Vader is Dutch for "father"?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
So how many times did you watch the three Star Wars movies before finding out that Vader is Dutch for "father"?
I wouldn't be surprised if it took George Lucas seven or eight times, if he ever realized it at all. If somebody told him so repeatedly, it would've gone in one year, straight through that neckless wooden block he calls a head, and right out the other ear.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir T-Cups View Post
In the movie Clueless they are talking to Ty (Tai?) about her old school and she mentions having had "coke". Took a good 10 years or so of watching that movie before I was told it was cocaine, and not Cola.

Smart me....
Same here, except it was this line:

"So Tai, did you wanna grab something to drink?"
"I don't know about that, but I could really go for some herbal refreshment."
"Well, I don't think we have any tea, but..."

I watched that movie two dozen times over in my youth and never got that Tai was into drugs.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:56 AM
I Am the One Who Bans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
Plus Lupin wasn't born a werewolf, was he? He was attacked by one. Pretty lucky he already had that name then.
This reminds me of one of my favorite lines from the Spider-Man movies: J. Jonah Jameson watches Dr. Octopus climb up a building, and says "Guy named Otto Octavius winds up with eight limbs. [...] What are the odds?"
Old 08-12-2009, 10:34 AM

Something I thought of on the bus on the way to work: I love all the foreshadowing that happens in Arrested Development.

SPOILER:
Buster's hand: Several times, text is blocked off to show the words "arm off." (Once it's from "Army Officer" on an ad; another time, it's "Alarm Off" on an alarm clock.)
Rita: Sitting on a bench advertising "Little Britain," she blocks part of the words so that it reads "Little Brain."

Last edited by Shot From Guns; 08-12-2009 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Missed a "d"
Old 08-12-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Hen View Post
Same here, except it was this line:

"So Tai, did you wanna grab something to drink?"
"I don't know about that, but I could really go for some herbal refreshment."
"Well, I don't think we have any tea, but..."

I watched that movie two dozen times over in my youth and never got that Tai was into drugs.
There's also a line about, "Wait, you guys have coke here?" "Well, sure, this is America."

And then later Cher lectures Tai on how it's one thing to light up at parties and quite another to be baked all day.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
...and Tataouine is a village in Tunisia. Many of the desert scenes in the original movies were shot in the area.

Not sure where the inspiration came from for Darth's costume, but the face mask looks a lot like the front of a steam locomotive, complete with cowcatcher! Kinda gives him a "down home" appearance...would be fun to redesign him as a Texas outlaw (admittedly with severe asthma) and rename him Darth Brooks.

His white vinyl stormtroopers reminded me a lot of a friend's Chevy Camaro.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:30 PM

kelly5078 said:
Quote:
I can't see the Cowardly Lion as gay. He's certainly a bit effeminate,
Uh, hello. In the context of the timeframe and especially Hollywood, effeminate = gay. They were using effeminate stereotypes to equate with not courageous.

Quote:
Fair enough, but I'm not gay, and while I didn't catch it as a child, it's blatantly obvious now.

Rich1 said:
Quote:
but that mine shaft certainly makes more sense within the anal context.
Or it could just be a place where he could go be alone with his honey for some nookie. With a radio for ambiance.

Annie-Xmas said:
Quote:
[conspiracy theory]So Lucas names his bad guy Dark Father - er, Darth Vader, in the first movie because he heard it from some dutch people and it sounded menacing. Then for Empire, the screenplay writer decided that must make Darth Luke's father, and wrote that in. And the rest is history. [/ct]
Old 08-12-2009, 07:33 PM

This probably would have been more obvious at the time the movie was released, but I'd seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show several times before I understood the significance of the scene where Dr. Frank-n-Furter refers to Dr. Scott as "Dr. Von Scott" and Brad gets offended. He is of course pointing out that Dr. Scott is German (which should have been obvious from his accent), and I thought the Dr. Scott = Nazi audience participation stuff was just based on the Nazis being German. It wasn't until college that I learned about Operation Paperclip, a program to recruit Nazi scientists to the US immediately after WWII. Since Dr. Scott is a scientist and seems old enough to have been one back during the war (30 years before the time of the movie), there is good reason to suspect that this is how he wound up in the US.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
I participate on this site with the premise that no one actually reads my posts.
Not to threadjack, but mind if I use that as a new sig line?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrMatey! View Post
Not to threadjack, but mind if I use that as a new sig line?
Use what?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:42 PM

Don't worry Robot Arm. Nobody read your post.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Use what?
I'm embarrassed to say that I almost responded to tell you what he meant, but then I got it.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:57 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Old 08-14-2009, 08:13 AM

That Freddy Mercury (Queen - yah, I know) was gay.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriarTed View Post
MY G_D! I Just Got SOMETHING!

Jacob is grabbing Esau's heel/foot/leg as they're being born.

When Jacob is renamed (reborn as) Israel in the rasslin' match with The Angel, his leg/thigh is knocked out of place by The Wrestler!

I have read that LOTS OF TIMES and either forgot it or never got it at all!

You know the area where the wrasslin' match is fought is called "Peniel"....

I'm thinking God gave Jacob a knee to the nutsack.....an even better "inside joke".
Old 08-14-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Histrion View Post
I was in college - I don't remember what year, or what class I was sitting in, or what - when suddenly I looked up and said, possibly aloud:

"Oh my God. 'Fargo North, Decoder!' "

I'll bite....what's the question?
Old 08-14-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ministryman View Post
I'll bite....what's the question?
The Electric Company sketch Fargo, North Decoder is a spoof of Fargo, North Dakota.