Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2851  
Old 03-02-2013, 05:49 PM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,811
2011 Gibson Les Paul Classic acquired today. It looks quite a lot like this one. I can't say I like black humbuckers on it, I'd prefer cream or nickel-covered, which I'll probably switch to later. Also the 'classic' tulip tuners aren't anything to write home about. I've never owned a Les Paul or any new Gibson guitar, so I'm really excited to have it, and its fun as heck to play. Now I've got the Big Three here: Strat, Tele, Les Paul. Mwuahahahahaha!
  #2852  
Old 03-02-2013, 06:57 PM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
2011 Gibson Les Paul Classic acquired today. It looks quite a lot like this one. I can't say I like black humbuckers on it, I'd prefer cream or nickel-covered, which I'll probably switch to later. Also the 'classic' tulip tuners aren't anything to write home about. I've never owned a Les Paul or any new Gibson guitar, so I'm really excited to have it, and its fun as heck to play. Now I've got the Big Three here: Strat, Tele, Les Paul. Mwuahahahahaha!
FYI, it appears that its actually a "Gibson Les Paul Classic Plus '60s Neck" model. It's weird that the tags in GC and the stuff in the case don't really say exactly what model this guitar is as far as what Gibson "really" call it. Is that just a thing with Les Pauls and/or Gibson? It doesn't really matter all that much until I turn around to sell it someday, but I find it odd. The Gibson inspection tag inside the case, which has the data it was made, serial number, who inspected it, etc., just identifies it as model "LPCST6USCH1", and googling that yields nothing.
  #2853  
Old 03-02-2013, 08:15 PM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,811
OK, I'm probably discussing this with myself at this point, but this LP has an electrical problem I have not seen before. It's odd.

It took me a while to identify what it was, and I eliminated the cable, the amp, everything but the guitar. When I rub my hand over the wooden finish anywhere on the neck or body, I get a crash of (not that loud, but definitely objectionable) static! It seems like it builds up in certain areas of the surface and rubbing my hand over those areas discharges it and you hear that in the amp, then that area is more or less silent until the charge builds up again. You can then rub your hand somewhere else on the body and get more static crashes. Either pickup must be turned on by the volume control to get this, nothing otherwise. Weird!

I recall there was someone, perhaps in this thread, who had a problem like this on a Tele, where touching the pickguard the same way would give static noise, and they solved it by shielding the pickguard. I pulled off the control cover on this LP, and looked for bad connections or shielding issues, and I really don't see anything amiss.

Anybody seen this on an LP? What do you do about it?
  #2854  
Old 03-02-2013, 11:53 PM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,811
Whelp, still talking to myself over here about this LP. A light dawns: this guitar is really this guitar. Baked maple fretboard and ceramic magnet humbuckers. Metal-guitar pickups and a controversial fretboard. Shit. I'm thinking this isn't the best choice as far as resale value goes. I can fix the pickups, no biggee. But I wonder quite a lot if that "baked maple" fretboard would be very resellable. It feels just fine, in fact it feels great. But when you buy a LP, you like to think you own a mainstream axe, not some cul de sac instrument. I love how the instrument feels and plays, but I thought I was buying a canonical Les Paul, not some (half)baked maple Les Paul. Hrm.
  #2855  
Old 03-03-2013, 07:05 AM
WordMan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 22,458
No, I'm here sir - was out last night and still fighting a cold. And I can't type long - I have to get breakfast ready for the brood.

First - it sounds like you like a Les Paul to have in your toolset - that makes sense; they are great, distinctive guitars. So the question is whether that LP is right for you. The grounding issue needn't be that big of a deal - I would assume that some solder didn't quite take so you are hearing what you hear. You'd have to get it gone-over, but should be do-able.

The question is whether you want to stick with that LP. As you and I discussed offboard, Gibson has a ton a variants - I am sure the bulk of them do fine with resale - Gibson still does better than most other brands in that regard. But, near as I can tell, the LP's that do best are the ones closest to the original models - goldtops, sunbursts and black customs. Your example has a burst finish, but if different in a few ways - e.g. Rosewood is really hard to come by these days - Gibson got raided recently and some wood confiscated - so they are trying alternatives. So your fingerboard and other parts are made with other woods.

A lot of your questions have to do with resale - a Gibson, bought new off the floor, will do as well or better than most. But that still means driving it off the floor and losing up to 50% of its value. That's why I have come to buy used - I let someone else take that hit and I can sort out which features I really want, eg older versions with rosewood fingerboard s for instance.

No easy answers - ultimately it comes down to having a guitar that inspires you to play. If this one does, I am sure you can make it work. If not, move on.
  #2856  
Old 03-03-2013, 01:04 PM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
No, I'm here sir - was out last night and still fighting a cold. And I can't type long - I have to get breakfast ready for the brood.

First - it sounds like you like a Les Paul to have in your toolset - that makes sense; they are great, distinctive guitars. So the question is whether that LP is right for you. The grounding issue needn't be that big of a deal - I would assume that some solder didn't quite take so you are hearing what you hear. You'd have to get it gone-over, but should be do-able.

The question is whether you want to stick with that LP. As you and I discussed offboard, Gibson has a ton a variants - I am sure the bulk of them do fine with resale - Gibson still does better than most other brands in that regard. But, near as I can tell, the LP's that do best are the ones closest to the original models - goldtops, sunbursts and black customs. Your example has a burst finish, but if different in a few ways - e.g. Rosewood is really hard to come by these days - Gibson got raided recently and some wood confiscated - so they are trying alternatives. So your fingerboard and other parts are made with other woods.

A lot of your questions have to do with resale - a Gibson, bought new off the floor, will do as well or better than most. But that still means driving it off the floor and losing up to 50% of its value. That's why I have come to buy used - I let someone else take that hit and I can sort out which features I really want, eg older versions with rosewood fingerboard s for instance.

No easy answers - ultimately it comes down to having a guitar that inspires you to play. If this one does, I am sure you can make it work. If not, move on.
Hi, WordMan, thanks for jumping in. As far as resale: yes, I do worry about it because my tastes slowly change and I'll want some other instrument eventually, which means having a guitar someone wants to buy from me. You do make a good point about buying used. For me, the choice to buy new comes down to me being just terrible at evaluating instruments in a store, and until I've played them at home in my space on my amp, for at least a few days, I don't really "get" that guitar if it's not a model I'm very, very familiar with. And Les Pauls aren't. So I'm paying extra for the comfort of having 30 days to take something back to the store, and I'm fine with that. It also helps that walked out the door with this guitar not quite 20% off the tag so I'm doing pretty good already. I totally do not expect a guitar - any guitar - to appreciate, and that's not what I'm after. This isn't an investment, I'm just trying to make sensible choices, ones that make sense to someone else.

As far as "baked maple" - my original take when I saw an LP with that type of fretboard was . But what's weird is the fretboard on this one looks well within the color range of rosewood, so I hadn't even noticed the different material. And it feels quite nice. I've been googling trying to figure if people think they're too out there and if my reaction is widespread, or if they've gained acceptance. Or maybe its too soon to tell. What's your sense?

Anyway, thanks again for jumping in with your thoughts and reactions, always appreciated.
  #2857  
Old 03-03-2013, 01:12 PM
WordMan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 22,458
All good. As for baked maple, I have heard about it with Ernie Ball/Music Man guitar necks - but the necks, not the boards. It is a fine hard wood - obviously Fenders have maple fingerboards and do more than fine. It's just new to LPs - if you like the feel and look, yay.

I agree with living with a guitar - I buy used and try to ensure I get a good enough deal so I can resell later when it's time to move on. I like to live with new guitars, too - just a different approach...
  #2858  
Old 03-04-2013, 02:28 PM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,811
Huh, funny thing I just noticed: the Les Paul model I bought (which appears to also go by the name "Les Paul Classic 1960" as there's a 1960 etched into the pickguard [which is not attached to mine] ) is the main illustration for the Wiki article on Gibson Les Pauls.
  #2859  
Old 03-04-2013, 02:36 PM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
Huh, funny thing I just noticed: the Les Paul model I bought (which appears to also go by the name "Les Paul Classic 1960" as there's a 1960 etched into the pickguard [which is not attached to mine] ) is the main illustration for the Wiki article on Gibson Les Pauls.
Missed the edit. I'd meant to add: They seem to fetch a decent price (or at leasts asking price) on EBay. I paid less than most of those.

Last edited by squeegee; 03-04-2013 at 02:37 PM.
  #2860  
Old 03-04-2013, 04:21 PM
Quasimodem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: West Georgia
Posts: 13,160
Thanks to Gargoyle upthread, I bought the Rocksmith game and I'm having a ball with it!

I appreciate the recommendation!

Q
  #2861  
Old 03-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Quasimodem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: West Georgia
Posts: 13,160

Inlays


Because my Takamine Jasmine doesn't have a fret marker at #3 and it was bugging the hell out of me, I decided to check the net to see what was available and found this.

I just got the white pearl ones, but there's a whole array with which to customize your guitar if you wish.

Just thought I'd share and if anyone needs a fret marker, I'd be happy to drop one in the mail to you.

Thanks

Q
__________________
My Dementia Blog is at http://wheretobud.blogspot.com
  #2862  
Old 03-12-2013, 12:14 AM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,811
Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top) plays with 7s. No, seriously! 7s! I had peach fuzz on my chin at 13 heavier than those strings.
  #2863  
Old 03-12-2013, 07:34 AM
WordMan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 22,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top) plays with 7s. No, seriously! 7s! I had peach fuzz on my chin at 13 heavier than those strings.
Yep - I totally don't get that. It obviously works for him - I love his sound. But I would not be able to play his guitar. Heck, I was handed my friend's guitar with 9's on it and felt completely unable to play with the pick attack I prefer...
  #2864  
Old 03-12-2013, 12:18 PM
GargoyleWB's Avatar
GargoyleWB is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Somewhere cold 'n squishy
Posts: 5,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
Thanks to Gargoyle upthread, I bought the Rocksmith game and I'm having a ball with it!

I appreciate the recommendation!
Q
Awesome, glad you like it! It has some quirks and annoyances, but is otherwise a blast for getting my jam on. I've been liking just setting it to practice mode and free forming over songs.

Tons of new songs added for download also. Blue Oyster Cult wooooo!
  #2865  
Old 03-13-2013, 01:38 AM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
That's what I've never understood about Clapton - he made his reputation playing Gibsons, doesn't use a Strat's whammy (he blocks the mechanism so it can't be used), but then has a mid boost on his Strat - so it sounds more like a Gibson.
Replying two months late, but having thought about this a little - it seems like Strats have two advantages against Gibsons unrelated to trems or boost: longer scale length, and three pickups and therefore Strat "quack" (evident in Clapton's playing). These seem like sufficient reasons for someone to prefer a "hardtail" strat with a mid-boost over a Gibson.
  #2866  
Old 03-13-2013, 06:10 AM
WordMan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 22,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
Replying two months late, but having thought about this a little - it seems like Strats have two advantages against Gibsons unrelated to trems or boost: longer scale length, and three pickups and therefore Strat "quack" (evident in Clapton's playing). These seem like sufficient reasons for someone to prefer a "hardtail" strat with a mid-boost over a Gibson.
Well, ultimately, he doesn't have to have a reason; he can play whatever he wants. And yes, the longer neck scale and pickup layout might be the appeal. But it still seems a bit off to me.
  #2867  
Old 03-13-2013, 07:02 AM
Le Ministre de l'au-delà is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seaton Village
Posts: 6,735
Could it be he prefers the weight?
  #2868  
Old 03-13-2013, 07:10 AM
WordMan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 22,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Ministre de l'au-delà View Post
Could it be he prefers the weight?
Sure. It could just be that the feel of a Fender's layout is something he prefers. All I can recall him saying in interviews is that he finds he has to "fight a Strat a little harder" in a way that he prefers.

I always got the impression that he got a Les Paul because they were hot at the beginning of the British Blues explosion, was playing a few things, and then saw Hendrix play a Strat - and between Hendrix and Buddy Guy, Clapton decided that Strats were the way to go...again, he can play what he wants - I just find it interesting that he plays a Strat almost like a Gibson...
  #2869  
Old 03-17-2013, 03:37 PM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,811
The Sienna Sunburst strat went back to the store. I never really took to that color, though the guitar felt just fine. I ordered a Candy Cola (Am Std. rosewood, SSS) strat to take its place, should be here on Tuesday. I had been leaning toward a brown sunburst, but strats look fabu in red.
  #2870  
Old 03-17-2013, 09:36 PM
Quasimodem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: West Georgia
Posts: 13,160
I like both colors. The only thing I don't like about them both is the jack for the 1/4 plug and the way it's pointed. It looks to me like the bend the cord has to make is asking for a short circuit. I'd much rather it pointed away from the strings rather than toward them. Maybe I'm missing something -- I usually am.

Q
  #2871  
Old 03-17-2013, 10:56 PM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,811
Quasi - it does point away from the strings. Look at the first four pictures here of a guy playing strats. Note the cable leaving the guitar. The jack plate is angled at a 45-degrees away from the bridge, nearly flush with the body. Its actually a pretty good design, and keeps the cable end safe and the cord leaves the body cleanly.

Last edited by squeegee; 03-17-2013 at 10:56 PM.
  #2872  
Old 03-17-2013, 11:14 PM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Sure. It could just be that the feel of a Fender's layout is something he prefers. All I can recall him saying in interviews is that he finds he has to "fight a Strat a little harder" in a way that he prefers.

I always got the impression that he got a Les Paul because they were hot at the beginning of the British Blues explosion, was playing a few things, and then saw Hendrix play a Strat - and between Hendrix and Buddy Guy, Clapton decided that Strats were the way to go...again, he can play what he wants - I just find it interesting that he plays a Strat almost like a Gibson...
Ha, I just dug this up! Eric Clapton Speaks -- why Strats?.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Clapton
I never did meet Leo Fender, but I wish I had. If I could go back and somehow talk to him about the Stratocaster, I’d say, “You’ve created something that can’t be bettered, really. How did you do that?”
[...]
I had a lot of influences when I took up the Strat. First there was Buddy Holly, and Buddy Guy. Hank Marvin was the first well known person over here in England who was using one, but that wasn’t really my kind of music. Steve Winwood had so much credibility, and when he started playing one, I thought, oh, if he can do it, I can do it.
[...]
I keep coming back to the Stratocaster because it’s so practical. It doesn’t move very much, it’s stable, it stays in tune, and has a great sound. It’s fairly invincible, quite difficult to damage. I really like the old coil pickups, especially that middle and bridge combination. I used that for the solo in “Bell Bottom Blues,” which would be a classic example of that sound. But I’ve got those new Noiseless pickups now, and active circuitry, and I get so many different sounds coming out of the Stratocaster that it’s hard to compare it to any other guitar. My other guitars, I only visit them from time to time. I very rarely use anything else but the Strat.
  #2873  
Old 03-18-2013, 06:56 AM
WordMan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 22,458
Interesting - thanks. squeegee, I have nothing to add to your quest other than to wish you luck as you figure out what works for you...
  #2874  
Old 03-22-2013, 06:28 PM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,811
Picked up the red "Candy Cola" (why do they call it that, it sounds like it should be root beer colored) Am Std. Strat, and I'm afraid its a lemon and going back. Two scratches (of the "keyed my car" clear coat variety) in the belly cut, and it frets out on the high E above fret 12 even with high action or fiddling with the next relief, obviously a high fret, which is fixable but I wouldn't expect to need to in a new guitar. Ah well. Next!

Maybe I'll bully GC into ordering a new one direct from Fender this time; this axe was delivered from another GC store's stock and looked like someone else had returned it before (e.g. the tiny spring where the trem arm screws in was missing, also the scratches). I sure do like the look of a candy cola strat though and would like to try another. Also this one had the Fat 50's Custom Shop pickups, which sounded pretty nice, although not amazingly nicer than the regular stock strat pickups, just nice.

I've decided I really like strats and want a great one. Not giving up the Tele though, but I've definitely found another girl I also want in my harem.
  #2875  
Old 03-22-2013, 07:15 PM
WordMan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 22,458
So you're more of a Strat guy than a Les Paul guy?
  #2876  
Old 03-22-2013, 09:08 PM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,811
I guess I'm both. I really like the LP I bought, too, but those ceramic pickups it comes with are just awful, so it's hard to enjoy it as-is. I've decided to keep it, too, though. For now I've got a couple of Duncans (a Pearly bridge and a '59 neck) that I can rip out of other guitars and solder covers onto to make it sound proper, and I may leave it at that or go the Lollar or Bare Knuckle or whatever route for PAFs.

But, man, the LP is way cool to play, but the Strat is just fun. Now I just need the right one, grumble.
  #2877  
Old 03-23-2013, 01:32 AM
Quasimodem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: West Georgia
Posts: 13,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
Quasi - it does point away from the strings. Look at the first four pictures here of a guy playing strats. Note the cable leaving the guitar. The jack plate is angled at a 45-degrees away from the bridge, nearly flush with the body. Its actually a pretty good design, and keeps the cable end safe and the cord leaves the body cleanly.
Guess I was looking at the wrong end. Thank you, squeegee!

Q
  #2878  
Old 03-23-2013, 01:01 PM
WordMan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 22,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
I guess I'm both. I really like the LP I bought, too, but those ceramic pickups it comes with are just awful, so it's hard to enjoy it as-is. I've decided to keep it, too, though. For now I've got a couple of Duncans (a Pearly bridge and a '59 neck) that I can rip out of other guitars and solder covers onto to make it sound proper, and I may leave it at that or go the Lollar or Bare Knuckle or whatever route for PAFs.

But, man, the LP is way cool to play, but the Strat is just fun. Now I just need the right one, grumble.
Why not build your own homebrew Parts-o-caster? You can dial in everything perfectly. On the Strats you've tried, have the pickups been hot or not, relative for Fender single coils? I'm a fan of lower-powered ones, myself.
  #2879  
Old 03-23-2013, 04:38 PM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Why not build your own homebrew Parts-o-caster? You can dial in everything perfectly.
I've thought about that, but I'm not pursuing it - at this moment at least - for several reasons:

- I can't say I know exactly what I'm looking for enough to specify it as such-and-such a nut width, neck carve, fingerboard radius, etc. I have to pick up a guitar and play it, and then live with it for a a handful of days to know if its a good fit.

- It's about the same or a little more expensive to build it yourself vs. just buying one from Fender. I just now priced out everything to make a Dakota red s/s/s rosewood Warmoth "strat", everything plain vanilla, no frills: $1042.10 with shipping. A brand new American Standard from Fender is about the same, but it comes assembled.

- you can't take a parts-o-caster back once you assemble it, or at least it would be very difficult to do so. So cross your fingers and hope you specified everything right, because the very first time you find out if it's the guitar of your dreams is when it's too late to do much about it if it isn't. well, you can do things, but it's probably a real pain to do so. If I buy a guitar from GC, on the other hand, I get 30 days for full refund. That said, I'm obviously having trouble finding an instrument that I actually want to buy from GC, so there's that.

- A parts-o-caster is difficult to sell if you tire of it. If I put an Am Std Strat on Craigslist, everyone knows what it is, and has a good idea of what it's worth in good condition. A parts-o-caster can be much more of a problem to value and sell, if only because people like a familiar name on the headstock.

Anyway, I'm not ruling out building my own. I think it would be fun. But I'm kind of interested in "canon" instruments right now, and I need to get rid of most of my mutt instruments before I breed my own.

Quote:
On the Strats you've tried, have the pickups been hot or not, relative for Fender single coils? I'm a fan of lower-powered ones, myself.
Yeah, me too. The ones I've played are just the ones that come stock in strats. The "Vintage Standard" ones were in the (2011) Sienna 'caster, and the red (2012) one I have now has the "Fat 50's" Custom Shop pickups, which still seem suitably low powered and they have a very nice, I dunno.. round, bell-like tone. But not all that different from the regular strat pickups.
  #2880  
Old 03-23-2013, 04:58 PM
GargoyleWB's Avatar
GargoyleWB is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Somewhere cold 'n squishy
Posts: 5,457
An update re: USB inputs for guitar for the non-Mac crowd...

I got one of these babies and have it working flawlessly with Windows 8

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UCG1...=behringer+usb

I have the Amplitube 3 demo but never wanted to spring for the full product until I was sure I could get it working on my laptop. After about 4 hours of settings and driver trail and error (sheesh! ) I have it working with perfect sound and almost no latency Now to buy the full version and record some schweet schweet sounds! I've also tried it in Audacity and it works great.

If anyone else goes for this, the undocumented tips...
Install both the x64 and ASIO4ALL drivers from Behringers support. There is a .pdf manual with the ASIO driver that has critical un-obvious tips.
'Buffer size' in both Direct X and ASIO4ALL are critical settings to get clean sound.
Make sure Windows control panel sounds for mic inputs are recognizing the USB interface and you have it set to default for all settings, else the Windows microphone drivers will fight with it.
Bump buffers up to maximum (you'll get terrible latency) and scooch the buffer lower and lower until you find a happy medium.
Don't wear headphones at full volume when configuring drivers *bang-weeeeeeeeeeee-wooooooonkkkkk-wweeeeeeee!!!!!!!* hit self in face with guitar neck and falls off couch
  #2881  
Old 03-23-2013, 06:51 PM
WordMan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 22,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
I've thought about that, but I'm not pursuing it - at this moment at least - for several reasons:

- I can't say I know exactly what I'm looking for enough to specify it as such-and-such a nut width, neck carve, fingerboard radius, etc. I have to pick up a guitar and play it, and then live with it for a a handful of days to know if its a good fit.

- It's about the same or a little more expensive to build it yourself vs. just buying one from Fender. I just now priced out everything to make a Dakota red s/s/s rosewood Warmoth "strat", everything plain vanilla, no frills: $1042.10 with shipping. A brand new American Standard from Fender is about the same, but it comes assembled.

- you can't take a parts-o-caster back once you assemble it, or at least it would be very difficult to do so. So cross your fingers and hope you specified everything right, because the very first time you find out if it's the guitar of your dreams is when it's too late to do much about it if it isn't. well, you can do things, but it's probably a real pain to do so. If I buy a guitar from GC, on the other hand, I get 30 days for full refund. That said, I'm obviously having trouble finding an instrument that I actually want to buy from GC, so there's that.

- A parts-o-caster is difficult to sell if you tire of it. If I put an Am Std Strat on Craigslist, everyone knows what it is, and has a good idea of what it's worth in good condition. A parts-o-caster can be much more of a problem to value and sell, if only because people like a familiar name on the headstock.

Anyway, I'm not ruling out building my own. I think it would be fun. But I'm kind of interested in "canon" instruments right now, and I need to get rid of most of my mutt instruments before I breed my own.

Yeah, me too. The ones I've played are just the ones that come stock in strats. The "Vintage Standard" ones were in the (2011) Sienna 'caster, and the red (2012) one I have now has the "Fat 50's" Custom Shop pickups, which still seem suitably low powered and they have a very nice, I dunno.. round, bell-like tone. But not all that different from the regular strat pickups.
Totally cool. If there's one thing I've learned in my years of guitar geekery, it's that we all process the risk of a bad choice differently. What you are trying to do makes sense, just don't compromise.

Some folks spend thousands on custom-made Build-to-Order (BTO) Taylors or one-offs by hot luthiers. What do you do if you get it and don't like it?
  #2882  
Old 03-23-2013, 11:04 PM
Noodles Fellicini is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 287
I don't think I'll ever get a serious enough case of GAS to BTO so I don't know the answer to that. BUT to change the subject, Happy New Guitar Day to me! I impulse-bought a Taylor GS mini today. We are getting along great and I can now officially play one song so I r geetarist. : - )
  #2883  
Old 03-24-2013, 01:02 AM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,811
Congrats, Noodles. May you noodle well on your new axe!

Also congrats to Gargoyle for persevering through Interface Hell, and thanks for sharing your setup tips. I went through something similar using a firewire interface with Win7, but I think nothing as severe as what your tips indicate, so thanks for sharing with the group. ETA: I'm curious what you think of Amplitube; I downloaded the free demo, but couldn't get deep enough on the free version to compare to my go-to amp model Guitar Rig. Thoughts?

Last edited by squeegee; 03-24-2013 at 01:04 AM.
  #2884  
Old 03-24-2013, 04:02 AM
WordMan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 22,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles Fellicini View Post
I don't think I'll ever get a serious enough case of GAS to BTO so I don't know the answer to that. BUT to change the subject, Happy New Guitar Day to me! I impulse-bought a Taylor GS mini today. We are getting along great and I can now officially play one song so I r geetarist. : - )
Congrats; they are great guitars. I have one as my beater/travel guitar and really appreciate it.
  #2885  
Old 03-24-2013, 08:22 AM
Noodles Fellicini is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Congrats; they are great guitars. I have one as my beater/travel guitar and really appreciate it.
Thanks, I think I made a good choice, size and soundwise. The luthier I bought it from said it didn't need any setup but I'm not enjoying playing it as much as I did the little Yamaha Jr I had borrowed. I think I'm going to go back and ask to have the action lowered and switch to light strings, at least until we get to know each other better.
  #2886  
Old 03-27-2013, 09:25 PM
Fiddle Peghead's Avatar
Fiddle Peghead is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Harlem, New York, NY
Posts: 4,189
On American Idol, the guitarist with a beard plays a guitar that looks like a Les Paul Junior with a Bigsby. What guitar is this?
  #2887  
Old 03-27-2013, 09:35 PM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
On American Idol, the guitarist with a beard plays a guitar that looks like a Les Paul Junior with a Bigsby. What guitar is this?
Got a pic? Could well be a LPjr with a Bigsby, stranger things have happened. ETA: See?

Last edited by squeegee; 03-27-2013 at 09:36 PM.
  #2888  
Old 03-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Fiddle Peghead's Avatar
Fiddle Peghead is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Harlem, New York, NY
Posts: 4,189
Can't find a pic or video clip, but yes, it very well might be. The headstock shape looks right, but I can't make out the name, if any.
  #2889  
Old 03-28-2013, 01:09 AM
Quasimodem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: West Georgia
Posts: 13,160
I totally gave up on IK Multimedia. I never could play ANY of their amps, and they kept sending me fixes that didn't work. Are there any other such programs?

Thanks

Quasi
  #2890  
Old 03-28-2013, 01:21 AM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
I totally gave up on IK Multimedia. I never could play ANY of their amps, and they kept sending me fixes that didn't work. Are there any other such programs?

Thanks

Quasi
Guitar Rig is another. Free version here. Obviously the free one has reduced features.

Last edited by squeegee; 03-28-2013 at 01:24 AM.
  #2891  
Old 03-28-2013, 01:33 AM
rat avatar's Avatar
rat avatar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Continental Divide
Posts: 5,405
squeegee,

I also have never been able to really "fall" for any of the strats I ever picked up and I don't know the type of music you prefer but I picked up a Fender "jaguarillo" last year and I love it. The pickups are a normal HSS strat set but the control lever is out of my strum path.

It is a 24" scale so it has a bit more low end then a strat but it still has an amazing sparkle sound. That said I do prefer the offset bodies and am apparently the ideal market for their Pawn Shop series.

It is MIM but now that they just ship the US made CNC necks over the border they have become much nicer guitars IMHO.

But I did get one of the shiny new Pawn Shop bass VI's this year, that is a fun fun guitar/bass err whatever.
  #2892  
Old 03-28-2013, 06:47 AM
WordMan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 22,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddle Peghead View Post
On American Idol, the guitarist with a beard plays a guitar that looks like a Les Paul Junior with a Bigsby. What guitar is this?
I would need to see a pic to try to figure out specifics beyond squeegee's link.

My update is that I am in the throes of acquiring a new guitar - there have been a few trade/cash deals on the table, so it has been in play for a while. I had been considering a 2-for-2 trade, but that fell through, and am now focused on one of the guitars. It is an old, inexpensive archtop model. Gibson made private-label guitars during the Depression in order to earn more money - they made Recording King guitars for Montegomery Ward, for instance. This is a 1938 Gibson-made Kalamazoo KG-31 archtop (link to Google image search results).

I have NO experience with archtops - as I have said in the past on this board, I think they are the coolest, but they require a different approach to playing. I have longed to find one that was affordable (so I felt okay taking a risk) that sounded reasonably full if I strummed it, but it encouraged me to explore archtop-style play. This guitar is one of the few archies that really hits that sweet spot for me. What is truly amazing to me is that it sounds great with slide - I never think of archtops for slide, but tried it out because one guy I know and respect does use one - and it sounds amazing!!

So feeling like I have a new tool that is taking me in different directions...
  #2893  
Old 03-28-2013, 11:56 AM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by rat avatar View Post
squeegee,

I also have never been able to really "fall" for any of the strats I ever picked up and I don't know the type of music you prefer but I picked up a Fender "jaguarillo" last year and I love it. The pickups are a normal HSS strat set but the control lever is out of my strum path.

It is a 24" scale so it has a bit more low end then a strat but it still has an amazing sparkle sound. That said I do prefer the offset bodies and am apparently the ideal market for their Pawn Shop series.

It is MIM but now that they just ship the US made CNC necks over the border they have become much nicer guitars IMHO.

But I did get one of the shiny new Pawn Shop bass VI's this year, that is a fun fun guitar/bass err whatever.
Thanks for the suggestion, rat avatar. That Jaguarillo a nice looking guitar, but I'm not really interested in a "fat strat" HSS setup because of the volume mismatch issues; I've got another HH guitar that will do fine. Also the Jazzmaster trem isn't my cup of tea. The offset waist is fun, though. Really, an Am Std Strat s-s-s is perfect for me (especially with those custom shop Fat 50's, they sound very pretty), I just need to dig up the right one.
  #2894  
Old 03-28-2013, 12:14 PM
GargoyleWB's Avatar
GargoyleWB is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Somewhere cold 'n squishy
Posts: 5,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
Congrats, Noodles. L... ETA: I'm curious what you think of Amplitube; I downloaded the free demo, but couldn't get deep enough on the free version to compare to my go-to amp model Guitar Rig. Thoughts?
The tweaking and setups of the various pedals, amps, etc is out of this world. Both easy to use and endlessly tweakable. For recording, it only has a simple 4-track with limited mixing functions, so it looks like I'll use something else to capture for recording and mixing.
  #2895  
Old 03-28-2013, 12:47 PM
rat avatar's Avatar
rat avatar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Continental Divide
Posts: 5,405
I am not trying to sell you on the guitar but I had the same reservations.

I actually wind my own pickups from time to time and this guitar has a swimming pool route so I was going to spin up a SSS setup to replace the "standard stat" pickups which now are a bar magnet below nonmagnetic poll pieces and the Fender JB clone they call the "atomic humbucker"

But as I played the guitar trying to decide what I was going to wind the pickups to I noticed that the volume was close and that even that didn't matter because I am either bridge and/or middle on the clean channel on my amp or bridge and dirty. So I deal with two volumes at the amp anyway.

But I am happy I messed with the oddball stuff. There are so many people I admire who play strats....and unfortunately I'll never be them

The Fat 50's are very nice guitars I hope you find the one for you soon.

We live in an amazing time for guitars both cheap and high end.

What ever you get I hope you play and enjoy it as much as possible.

P.S. my trem arm is still in the sack I never tend to want vibrato on more than three strings at a time so I just "push" the strings behind the bridge if I can't do it with the left hand. And I agree it is too "surfy" for most types of playing and you can actually do a similar effect entire string set with the pinky side of your palm behind the bridge. Obviously one issue with that is that I can't dive.
  #2896  
Old 03-28-2013, 06:38 PM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
I would need to see a pic to try to figure out specifics beyond squeegee's link.

My update is that I am in the throes of acquiring a new guitar - there have been a few trade/cash deals on the table, so it has been in play for a while. I had been considering a 2-for-2 trade, but that fell through, and am now focused on one of the guitars. It is an old, inexpensive archtop model. Gibson made private-label guitars during the Depression in order to earn more money - they made Recording King guitars for Montegomery Ward, for instance. This is a 1938 Gibson-made Kalamazoo KG-31 archtop (link to Google image search results).

I have NO experience with archtops - as I have said in the past on this board, I think they are the coolest, but they require a different approach to playing. I have longed to find one that was affordable (so I felt okay taking a risk) that sounded reasonably full if I strummed it, but it encouraged me to explore archtop-style play. This guitar is one of the few archies that really hits that sweet spot for me. What is truly amazing to me is that it sounds great with slide - I never think of archtops for slide, but tried it out because one guy I know and respect does use one - and it sounds amazing!!

So feeling like I have a new tool that is taking me in different directions...
So can you expand on a) why you think they're cool -- looks I assume (they do look cool), but maybe there's famous players who used them? And b) why they require a different approach? Couldn't I just pick one up and start playing Cat Stevens or Bach or whatever? Lastly: what does one sound like compared to the usual hole-in-the-middle flattop job? It must be a much mellower sound I'd think.
Thanks!
  #2897  
Old 03-28-2013, 08:52 PM
WordMan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 22,458
Archtops have always = players who know their shit, in my mind. You better have chords, you better know inversions, you better know standards, how to find the pocket in a trio or quartet - you better know your job. And you better be able to say something when you solo.

Lemme think about it. Is this something that interests people? Is there an interest in geekery besides the always-willing and thoughtful squeegee? I can keep it short or think a bit geekier...
  #2898  
Old 03-28-2013, 10:05 PM
Noodles Fellicini is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 287
Be geeky. When I had new strings (Martin Silk and Steel -- jury is out, easier to play but sorta floppy) put on the Mini I made a friend of mine play an awesome Loar archtop that was there on consignment. It did not have your run-of-the-mill jazzy sound but was more...interesting. I do not know enough about them to understand why, but it did make me wish I could play it.
  #2899  
Old 03-28-2013, 10:19 PM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,811
Yeah, go for it, WordMan. My immersion in non-electric guitar (or for that matter finding the pocket in a trio ('trio' - that's sportswear, right?)) is such that I probably won't have particularly insightful questions after. But so what? Dump away.
  #2900  
Old 03-28-2013, 10:25 PM
squeegee's Avatar
squeegee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Aptos CA
Posts: 8,811
Side question, utterly unrelated to archtops:

I'm going to put some nickel covers on a couple of humbuckers I have, and the instructional vid I found shows that you a) put a dot of adhesive gunk on the top of the humbucker and put the cover over it, then b) solder the sides of the cover to the metal base of the humbucker in a couple of places. Which begs the question: is the soldering merely to mechanically adhere the cover, or is it important to electrically connect the cover to the pickup? I'm guessing the former, since a 'bucker works fine sans cover.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017