Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #6851  
Old 08-16-2019, 10:46 AM
jsc1953 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 10,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFSB
“You have no choice but to vote for me, because your 401(k) is down the tubes. Everything’s going to be down the tubes,” Trump said. “So whether you love me or hate me, you’ve gotta vote for me.”
Ha! Joke's on him! None of his supporters have 401(k)s.
  #6852  
Old 08-16-2019, 10:53 AM
Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 23,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
Like Rhode Island is 1,212 sq. miles, which is apparently acceptable for a state. Greenland is 836,300 square miles, so it could be turned into 690 states!
Is that land, or including ice cover? Because if it's the latter it's already shrinking.

Apparently there are golf courses in Greenland already, so maybe he's figuring when the ice melts he'll be able to pick up some cheap real estate for another resort.
  #6853  
Old 08-16-2019, 11:03 AM
CalMeacham's Avatar
CalMeacham is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 44,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
Hmmm. This idea of buying Greenland has possibilities. A few minutes with google and a calculator reveals fun stuff.

Like Rhode Island is 1,212 sq. miles, which is apparently acceptable for a state. Greenland is 836,300 square miles, so it could be turned into 690 states! Not that I've ever (knowingly) talked with a Greenlander, my bet is they'd be far more likely to lean Democratic than Republican. Just think: 13800 more Democratic senators! Their population is something around 57,000. Meaning each of these new states would have about 82.5 people. (Great odds if you aspire to get into politics.)

On the other hand, that's certainly enough for them to change the official language of the United States. (I wonder how hard it is to learn Danish?)

I think out of fairness the state lines should be drawn up radially, like pizzas. Then each state would get about 39 miles of coastline (unless I screwed up the km to mile conversion. Plenty for shipping purposes. And every single person could have a 4.8 mile stretch of beach for his very own!

Sounds like paradise.
When I lived Out West, people there were always complaining about comparisons to Rhode Island. RI is smaller than a lot of western counties. Wyoming's almost 100,000 square miles, so Greenland could make about eight REAL states. (at least as far as westerners are concerned).



And I'll bet the population density is lower than those western US states, too. Giving Greenland 16 Senators is asking for trouble.
__________________
Who is the Calypso Singer that rides Pegasus?
Harry Bellerophonte
  #6854  
Old 08-16-2019, 11:07 AM
Steve McQwark is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
Hmmm. This idea of buying Greenland has possibilities. A few minutes with google and a calculator reveals fun stuff.

Like Rhode Island is 1,212 sq. miles, which is apparently acceptable for a state. Greenland is 836,300 square miles, so it could be turned into 690 states! Not that I've ever (knowingly) talked with a Greenlander, my bet is they'd be far more likely to lean Democratic than Republican. Just think: 13800 more Democratic senators! Their population is something around 57,000. Meaning each of these new states would have about 82.5 people. (Great odds if you aspire to get into politics.)

On the other hand, that's certainly enough for them to change the official language of the United States. (I wonder how hard it is to learn Danish?)

I think out of fairness the state lines should be drawn up radially, like pizzas. Then each state would get about 39 miles of coastline (unless I screwed up the km to mile conversion. Plenty for shipping purposes. And every single person could have a 4.8 mile stretch of beach for his very own!

Sounds like paradise.
You get to be a senator and you get to be a senator and ...
  #6855  
Old 08-16-2019, 11:29 AM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 85,220
POTUS, who is not exactly svelte, insults an overweight supporter at a New Hampshire rally. The supporter, true to, er, form, is totally cool with that: https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...ally/23794936/
  #6856  
Old 08-16-2019, 11:31 AM
Dag Otto is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Las Cruces
Posts: 5,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
That was Old Mexico. This is New Mexico we're talking about.
It's slightly used. Don't pay full price.
  #6857  
Old 08-16-2019, 11:56 AM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 29,936
Jeeze, you let some aliens crash at your place and the property value plummets.

Last edited by dropzone; 08-16-2019 at 11:56 AM.
  #6858  
Old 08-16-2019, 12:49 PM
StarvingButStrong's Avatar
StarvingButStrong is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Is that land, or including ice cover? Because if it's the latter it's already shrinking.
I don't think it matters in this case. The Arctic has a ton of floating ice, and Antarctica has huge shelves of ice that jut out past the land, but I think Greenland is basically just ice sitting directly on top of land. So the average altitude of Greenland will decrease as the ice melts, but the surface area stays about the same.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
When I lived Out West, people there were always complaining about comparisons to Rhode Island. RI is smaller than a lot of western counties. Wyoming's almost 100,000 square miles, so Greenland could make about eight REAL states. (at least as far as westerners are concerned).

Hey, Little Rhody is small, yes, but it has nearly twice as many people as Wyoming! (1.05 million to .563 million.) And in politics, it's people who should count, not empty miles of rock, sand, and tumbleweeds. Why does a Wyomingite's opinion carry twice the weight of a Rhode Islander, hmm? Let alone 70 times that of a Californian? (39.8 million)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McQwark View Post
You get to be a senator and you get to be a senator and ...
Exactly!
  #6859  
Old 08-16-2019, 01:20 PM
amarinth is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Emerald City, WA, USA
Posts: 9,870
cite

Apparently, he's asking other countries to bar members of Congress from traveling there. I get that he doesn't like them. But dragging other countries into his squabble is disgusting.

Last edited by amarinth; 08-16-2019 at 01:20 PM.
  #6860  
Old 08-16-2019, 03:29 PM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 85,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag Otto View Post
It's slightly used. Don't pay full price.
You drive a new state off the lot and the value immediately drops by 20%.
  #6861  
Old 08-16-2019, 03:52 PM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
On the other hand, that's certainly enough for them to change the official language of the United States. (I wonder how hard it is to learn Danish?)

Don't you mean establish an official language of the United States? The US currently has no official language.
  #6862  
Old 08-16-2019, 04:24 PM
tripthicket's Avatar
tripthicket is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Phantom Hedgerow
Posts: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Don't you mean establish an official language of the United States? The US currently has no official language.
Try telling MAGAbots that. I'm still rolling my eyes from that goob who insisted to Jake Tapper that you had to swear into office with your hand on the BYE-BULL. Then his wordless blinkblink at the camera after Jake 'corrected' him -- one of my true pleasures to watch.
  #6863  
Old 08-16-2019, 05:36 PM
Euphonious Polemic is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripthicket View Post
Try telling MAGAbots that. I'm sti rolling my eyes from that goob who insisted to Jake Tapper that you had to swear into office with your hand on the BYE-BULL. Then his wordless blinkblink at the camera after Jake 'corrected' him -- one of my true pleasures to watch.
That was such a good moment I had to go find it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFYRkzznsc0

This doofus was an elected official? He should not even be allowed to vote if he thinks he lives in a theocracy.
  #6864  
Old 08-16-2019, 05:56 PM
Just Asking Questions is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 7,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
That was such a good moment I had to go find it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFYRkzznsc0

This doofus was an elected official? He should not even be allowed to vote if he thinks he lives in a theocracy.
Thank you!

I love the point where you can actually see his mind go into lockup.
  #6865  
Old 08-16-2019, 06:22 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
Frankly he's just exhausting. I was thinking yesterday about the influencing of Israel to ban Congresswomen, and I wake up today to find out he wants to buy Greenland.
I mean.. fuck dude, take a day off from doing batshit/stupid things.
It's like trying to drink from the firehose of stupidity.
It's keeping Epstein out of the news, though, isn't it? Or at least it's limiting the amount of time that can be devoted to the Epstein story.

Job done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Hedonia View Post
In large part, this raid was about sending a message to undocumented workers. That message is “If you complain about harassment and abuse and call attention to yourselves, you will feel the consequences. You’ll be deported and you might lose your kids”.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1UZ1OV
Yes, quite true. It may yet backfire on Trump, though: the Koch Brothers are not happy. (It was their plant.) They've been unhappy for a while, but this won't have made them more happy.

https://www.newsweek.com/koch-networ...p-2020-1278141
  #6866  
Old 08-16-2019, 06:36 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 16,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
...

Yes, quite true. It may yet backfire on Trump, though: the Koch Brothers are not happy. (It was their plant.) They've been unhappy for a while, but this won't have made them more happy.

https://www.newsweek.com/koch-networ...p-2020-1278141
There was an interesting story about a new book on the Koch brothers on Fresh Air this week.

'Kochland': How The Koch Brothers Changed U.S. Corporate And Political Power
There's a transcript of the show that you can read in about five minutes, if you don't want to listen. I don't feel I can do the interview justice with a few quoted paragraphs. It's detailed and complicated. Well worth a look/listen.
__________________
* "Former President Trump" -- saying it until it becomes true.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 08-16-2019 at 06:37 PM.
  #6867  
Old 08-16-2019, 06:59 PM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 29,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Yes, quite true. It may yet backfire on Trump, though: the Koch Brothers are not happy. (It was their plant.) They've been unhappy for a while, but this won't have made them more happy.
Nope. I posted the true fact that it was founded by the wrong Fred Koch in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Despite similarities in the names and the fact that both were founded by men named Fred Koch, Koch Foods has no relation to Koch Industries or the Koch brothers; their founders are two entirely different people.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koch_Foods
  #6868  
Old 08-16-2019, 07:10 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
There was an interesting story about a new book on the Koch brothers on Fresh Air this week.

'Kochland': How The Koch Brothers Changed U.S. Corporate And Political Power
There's a transcript of the show that you can read in about five minutes, if you don't want to listen. I don't feel I can do the interview justice with a few quoted paragraphs. It's detailed and complicated. Well worth a look/listen.
Yes, that book sounds great; Terry did an amazing job with the interview. The Kochs have been pushing 'small government' for decades, with horrifying results. They've truly been a force for destruction.

Their differences with Trump are interesting. It's amazing that people so powerful have had to defer to what's essentially the power of white supremacism. I'm sure it took them by surprise. (Not that the Kochs are fans of diversity or equality by any means.)
  #6869  
Old 08-16-2019, 07:33 PM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 16,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
Yes, that book sounds great; Terry did an amazing job with the interview. The Kochs have been pushing 'small government' for decades, with horrifying results. They've truly been a force for destruction.

Their differences with Trump are interesting. It's amazing that people so powerful have had to defer to what's essentially the power of white supremacism. I'm sure it took them by surprise. (Not that the Kochs are fans of diversity or equality by any means.)
Thanks for following up on that. It was an incredible interview.

To the Koch brothers, Donald must seem like the loosest of loose cannons. They are really the anti-trump (as in anti-matter), in the sense that they are relentlessly goal-driven and methodical and he is Mr. Shoot From the Hip Shoot Off His Mouth. They are into the long game and he wants his "tweets to go off like a rocket" today--who cares about tomorrow. They eschew notoriety, and he is all about today's headlines. And yet they are both/all forces for destruction.
__________________
* "Former President Trump" -- saying it until it becomes true.
  #6870  
Old 08-16-2019, 08:08 PM
El_Kabong's Avatar
El_Kabong is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Smack Dab in the Middle
Posts: 15,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
POTUS, who is not exactly svelte, insults an overweight supporter at a New Hampshire rally. The supporter, true to, er, form, is totally cool with that: https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...ally/23794936/
The Trump supporter should consider wearing a really long tie. That's slimming.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 08-16-2019 at 08:08 PM.
  #6871  
Old 08-16-2019, 08:46 PM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
That was such a good moment I had to go find it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFYRkzznsc0

This doofus was an elected official? He should not even be allowed to vote if he thinks he lives in a theocracy.

Thanks for the link! Oh, he, along with the rest of the 'pubbies, are likely fully aware that we don't currently live in a theocracy. They just want us to, their whining about "No Sharia Law in the Good Ole You Ess of Ay!" notwithstanding. If they can't get it legislated into being a theocracy, they'll just keep talking about it as though and acting in elected office as though it is. At some point it'll be too cumbersome for the Supreme Court (while it still has some vestige of understanding the constitution) to deal with it and then POOF!* You got your Evangelical Christian Sharia full on.

*Too bad UBB code doesn't have a [pink sparkle] tag.
  #6872  
Old 08-16-2019, 08:50 PM
bobot's Avatar
bobot is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 8,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
That was such a good moment I had to go find it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFYRkzznsc0

This doofus was an elected official? He should not even be allowed to vote if he thinks he lives in a theocracy.
Holy fucking shit. That is every Trump voter facing the statement: I'd like you to think about this.
Response is a blank fucking mouthbreathing deer in the headlights look.
Fuck. Think? Oh, I'm fucked.
  #6873  
Old 08-16-2019, 09:17 PM
running coach's Avatar
running coach is online now
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 37,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
That was such a good moment I had to go find it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFYRkzznsc0

This doofus was an elected official? He should not even be allowed to vote if he thinks he lives in a theocracy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Thank you!

I love the point where you can actually see his mind go into lockup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Holy fucking shit. That is every Trump voter facing the statement: I'd like you to think about this.
Response is a blank fucking mouthbreathing deer in the headlights look.
Fuck. Think? Oh, I'm fucked.
I got to see that live. I was surprised later to find out he was only in mindlock for about seven seconds before Tapper spoke up.
It seemed to go forever.
  #6874  
Old 08-16-2019, 10:23 PM
enipla is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 14,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Holy fucking shit. That is every Trump voter facing the statement: I'd like you to think about this.
Response is a blank fucking mouthbreathing deer in the headlights look.
Fuck. Think? Oh, I'm fucked.
A few of Trumps supporters are very smart. If not also sociopath's that only want to mold the future that best helps them. Well, the near future. They don't even care about their children.

The mass... of... uneducated voters that support trump are mostly people that THINK that the government has never helped them. So, they only want to find a person to look down upon so that they may feel better than someone.

The easiest way to do that is through bigotry and racist ideals.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
  #6875  
Old 08-17-2019, 12:14 AM
Siam Sam is offline
Elephant Whisperer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 41,015
nm
__________________
The two most interesting things in the world: Other people's sex lives and your own money.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 08-17-2019 at 12:16 AM.
  #6876  
Old 08-17-2019, 02:53 AM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 31,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
That was such a good moment I had to go find it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFYRkzznsc0

This doofus was an elected official? He should not even be allowed to vote if he thinks he lives in a theocracy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Thank you!

I love the point where you can actually see his mind go into lockup.
Even watching without sound, I found the Moment to be clear.

That said, he wasn’t an elected official. He was a spokesman for Roy Moore (AIUI).
  #6877  
Old 08-17-2019, 06:23 AM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 29,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Even watching without sound, I found the Moment to be clear.

That said, he wasn’t an elected official. He was a spokesman for Roy Moore (AIUI).
Nope. Sayeth the moron, "I'm an elected official. I served three terms."
  #6878  
Old 08-17-2019, 07:56 AM
DesertDog is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mesa, Ariz.
Posts: 5,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
I don't think it matters in this case. The Arctic has a ton of floating ice, and Antarctica has huge shelves of ice that jut out past the land, but I think Greenland is basically just ice sitting directly on top of land. So the average altitude of Greenland will decrease as the ice melts, but the surface area stays about the same.
IIRC the weight of the ice has depressed the rock in the middle of Greenland until it is below sea level. Thus if it melts, a breach in the rim will undoubtedly be found, the sea floods in ala the Mediterranean, and you've got yourself a gigantic atoll.
  #6879  
Old 08-17-2019, 08:15 AM
Fear Itself is offline
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Flavortown
Posts: 35,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
IIRC the weight of the ice has depressed the rock in the middle of Greenland until it is below sea level. Thus if it melts, a breach in the rim will undoubtedly be found, the sea floods in ala the Mediterranean, and you've got yourself a gigantic atoll.
The sea will never flood in, because the melted ice can never drop below sea level, it can't flow uphill!
__________________
“If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let 'em go, because man, they're gone.” ~~Jack Handey
  #6880  
Old 08-17-2019, 09:11 AM
Steve McQwark is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
IIRC the weight of the ice has depressed the rock in the middle of Greenland until it is below sea level. Thus if it melts, a breach in the rim will undoubtedly be found, the sea floods in ala the Mediterranean, and you've got yourself a gigantic atoll.
This could be the break that Ken Ham has been waiting for.
  #6881  
Old 08-17-2019, 10:05 AM
Skypist is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Even watching without sound, I found the Moment to be clear.

That said, he wasn’t an elected official. He was a spokesman for Roy Moore (AIUI).
He was apparently a Shelby County commissioner or something like that. He ran for Alabama House of Representatives also.
  #6882  
Old 08-17-2019, 12:39 PM
k9bfriender is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Nope. I posted the true fact that it was founded by the wrong Fred Koch in another thread.



https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koch_Foods
I will not believe it until I have seen at least two forms of Identification.
  #6883  
Old 08-17-2019, 05:18 PM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 85,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
I will not believe it until I have seen at least two forms of Identification.
Preferably not handwritten in crayon on a piece of cardboard.
  #6884  
Old 08-17-2019, 11:59 PM
Nava is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hey! I'm located! WOOOOW!
Posts: 42,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Thank you!

I love the point where you can actually see his mind go into lockup.
I've seen dead fishes who looked about as alive as he does at that moment.
__________________
Evidence gathered through the use of science is easily dismissed through the use of idiocy. - Czarcasm.
  #6885  
Old 08-18-2019, 10:00 AM
DesertDog is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Mesa, Ariz.
Posts: 5,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear Itself View Post
The sea will never flood in, because the melted ice can never drop below sea level, it can't flow uphill!
Ha! What if it's so hot it evaporates, smart boy?
  #6886  
Old 08-18-2019, 11:33 AM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 31,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Nope. Sayeth the moron, "I'm an elected official. I served three terms."


That’s what I get for leaving the sound off.
  #6887  
Old 08-18-2019, 04:29 PM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 29,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
I will not believe it until I have seen at least two forms of Identification.
Okay,but all I have with me is my drivers license (expired), SS card, and my marriage license (also expired for a different reason), but I don't know how they'll help you believe Wikipedia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post


That’s what I get for leaving the sound off.
Wouldn't matter when he went braindead.
  #6888  
Old 08-18-2019, 05:10 PM
Monty's Avatar
Monty is offline
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Beijing, China
Posts: 23,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Wouldn't matter when he went braindead.

Friend, that happened long before the tape started.
  #6889  
Old 08-18-2019, 06:05 PM
Anny Middon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
Is that land, or including ice cover? Because if it's the latter it's already shrinking.

Apparently there are golf courses in Greenland already, so maybe he's figuring when the ice melts he'll be able to pick up some cheap real estate for another resort.
I think his "thought" process is:

1. Look at any map. Greenland is up top.

2. Space is up.

3. I'll save the US tons of money by stationing the Space Force there.
  #6890  
Old 08-18-2019, 06:28 PM
Sherrerd's Avatar
Sherrerd is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
I think his "thought" process is:
1. Look at any map. Greenland is up top.
2. Space is up.
3. I'll save the US tons of money by stationing the Space Force there.
Very possibly. But the Greenland thing is also about freshening up his branding as the Biggest Bully on the Block.

The original assertion was that "Mexico will pay for The Wall," of course---and clearly that's not going well. So this Greenland thing is another chance for Donald to claim that BBOTB mantle: while people are laughing about it, they're also wondering, just a little, if the Trump Administration is doing some strong-arming of Denmark, to make them agree to something they don't want to do (sell Greenland).

Big Bullies get what they want! And Donald is the Biggest Bully! Just wait and see what happens!
  #6891  
Old 08-18-2019, 08:10 PM
JohnT's Avatar
JohnT is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 23,192
I mean, what's he going to do- go to war with NATO?


.... oh, FUCK!
  #6892  
Old 08-18-2019, 10:52 PM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 85,220
And somewhere in a windowless room deep in the Kremlin, Vladimir Putin smiles a sly little smile....
  #6893  
Old 08-19-2019, 10:23 AM
Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: my Herkimer Battle Jitney
Posts: 85,220
What kind of idiot appoints a "highly unstable" man, a "nut job" and a "fool," to a top government post?: https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...ucci/23796918/
  #6894  
Old 08-19-2019, 11:00 AM
QuickSilver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 18,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
What kind of idiot appoints a "highly unstable" man, a "nut job" and a "fool," to a top government post?: https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...ucci/23796918/
I feel sorry for Scaramooch not-at-all.
__________________
St. QuickSilver: Patron Saint of Thermometers.
  #6895  
Old 08-19-2019, 11:06 AM
ThelmaLou's Avatar
ThelmaLou is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 16,405
I asked the question in the Clusterfuck thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Where's our resident Trump Whisperer? How would he manage to answer that question without admitting that he was wrong?

Possibilities: By saying it wasn't his idea to hire Mooch? By saying Mooch lied about his qualifications? By saying he never liked the guy or trusted him, but was just trying to help out an undeserving loser?
It is answered here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
What kind of idiot appoints a "highly unstable" man, a "nut job" and a "fool," to a top government post?: https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...ucci/23796918/
Quote:
The stable genius is on the warpath against to Mooch, calling the former White House communications director a “nut job" and a “fool”

President Trump lashed out toadie-turned-critic Anthony Scaramucci saying they were never friends before the Mooch’s ill-fated 11-day stint close to the seat of power in 2017.

“I barely knew him until his 11 days of gross incompetence,” Trump wrote in an acerbic breakfast tweet.
__________________
* "Former President Trump" -- saying it until it becomes true.
  #6896  
Old 08-19-2019, 11:52 AM
jsc1953 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 10,626
If Trump ever held an actual press conference, I’m sure a reporter would ask the burning question: “Then why did you hire him?” I guess that’s why Trump doesn't hold press conferences.
  #6897  
Old 08-19-2019, 12:29 PM
simster is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 11,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
What kind of idiot appoints a "highly unstable" man, a "nut job" and a "fool," to a top government post?: https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...ucci/23796918/
apparently 60 million americans.
  #6898  
Old 08-19-2019, 12:41 PM
Railer13 is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Kansas
Posts: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
If Trump ever held an actual press conference, I’m sure a reporter would ask the burning question: “Then why did you hire him?” I guess that’s why Trump doesn't hold press conferences.
Obviously, Scaramucci was not properly vetted by the media.
  #6899  
Old 08-19-2019, 01:17 PM
John Bredin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: BuffaloGrove IL (Chicago)
Posts: 2,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Thus if it melts, a breach in the rim will undoubtedly be found, the sea floods in ala the Mediterranean, and you've got yourself a gigantic atoll.
We've already got a gigantic atoll, the subject of this thread, and hardly need another.
  #6900  
Old 08-19-2019, 02:17 PM
kaylasdad99 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 31,930
One of these days you’re going to have to do something about that speech impediment...
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017