Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM

Actors in your 60s and 70s please quit dying your hair!

I saw an ad for Blue Bloods and Tom Selleck has jet black hair. He's 74 with darker hair than when he was half that. Thomas, me boyo, based on your wrinkles and other signs of age, that color is not remotely believable. Accept that you would still look good in gray and, being that you're on CBS, your audience is at least as old as you, so grow it out naturally. You aren't fooling anybody.

Note: I was going to use Blue Hairs to describe his fans but everybody has already gone there and, looking at my neighbors, nobody does that anymore.
Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM

I find middle-aged actors wearing hairpieces to be equally annoying. Every time I see one, I want to say "Oh, come on, dude! No man over the age of 30 has real hair like that!"
Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Actors in your 60s and 70s please quit dying
That, I can get behind.

As for whether actors in their 60s and 70s should be dyeing their hair, isn't that up to their directors, or the stylists and costumers on their shows/movies, based on what their characters should look like?
Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM

Joe Mantegna on Criminal Minds went from dark hair to gray hair "overnight". They wrote it into the script. His character said something about getting older and it was time to go natural. I guess if they stop dyeing then they would need to explain it somehow.
Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM

Dyed scalp hair can look great if it's done correctly. Dyed eyebrows usually just look strange.
Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM

Well at least it's not as bad as the insane plastic surgery celebrities, both male and female get. Dyed hair is small potatoes by comparison.
Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM

Every time I see Paul McCartney I think the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
Well at least it's not as bad as the insane plastic surgery celebrities, both male and female get. Dyed hair is small potatoes by comparison.
Like any of the women in the BH90210 reboot/whatever-it-was. They looked terrible!

Um, or so Iím told, I would never watch something like that show.
Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM

I'm going to go to bat for at least the actresses here. There are very few roles for actresses over 40, and competition is fierce. While silver hair can be attractive, we live in an ageist society, and Hollywood is especially so. Meryl Streep is one of the few women who manage to continue getting starring roles after age 40. The fact she's an incredible actress is undoubtedly the main reason, but it doesn't hurt that she looks younger than her 70 years. Her hair is dyed a very believable blonde. Anybody think, "Oh, hell no, Meryl! Let that mop go white?" I don't think so.

Could it be the issue isn't so much that actors dye their hair; it's that some actors dye it harsh colors that look artificial?
Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Gray can look good. I remember when "Dallas" was on, and Miss Ellie, as a widow, had a guy courting her. He was played by Howard Keel, whom I had a thing for from old musicals. He was gray and still looked good to me!
Old Yesterday, 11:08 PM

Data point: Ted Danson (who has always had amazing hair, it was a running thing back on "Cheers") looks damn fine with his current white mane. It would be a shame if he covered that with dye.