Old 09-13-2019, 10:52 AM

Any Borderlands 3 early adopters?

I had a great time with BL1 and BL2, was less enthused with the Pre-Sequel, but still played it quite a bit. Would love to hear some thoughts on the new one before I plonk down the requisite $60.

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2019, 11:32 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I'm currently downloading it....
Old 09-13-2019, 01:49 PM

I played it last night (pre-ordered for Xbox One). I really like the added flexibility of the talent trees. I’m playing FL4K (the robot guy with a pet) and I love how I can pick an Action Skill out of three (rather than each character just having one) and also being able to pick a unique, eventually upgradeable pet out of three. Also, weapons now have more distinction based on manufacturer.

Appearance customization is better too. You now get to pick which colors to assign to your gear, rather than collecting color schemes. Weapons can have “charms” dangling from them, your ECHO device can have different appearances, and there are other new ways to customize that I can’t remember or haven’t gotten to yet.

I wish I’d had more time to play but I had to cut it short because I had to get *some* sleep before work, but I can’t wait to get back to play tonight. I’m glad I have an extra day off next week. This is looking like my favorite entry in the series.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:40 PM

I got to play it more and FL4K’s pets got on my nerves. After a while I spent as much time worrying about keeping the pet alive than killing enemies and it got to be too much. I was using the spiderant which is supposed to be the toughest one.

I switched to Zane and now I’m rocking. I love that I can queue up two different Action Skills, which means that at any given time one of them is probably available. I lose the ability to throw grenades (the second skill takes that place) but I consider that a benefit because I hate using grenades in general.

There are so many options in how you play this game that it’s a huge improvement.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:34 PM

Are the missions imaginative? Is the dialogue funny?
Old 09-14-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Are the missions imaginative? Is the dialogue funny?
From the reviews I read earlier, yes and yes. Have yet to pay myself, though.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:26 PM

I played through the first three major zones Thursday night, and had a blast. Definitely at least as good a game as B2, and better than the pre-sequel. They've improved a bunch of things within the game and made other things not so good, but overall it's an improved version of the game. Absolutely beautiful and amazingly detailed maps. Still trying to figure out how to equip and build my characters so they don't run into a brick wall and die, but that'll come with time.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:47 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

What do you think about Claptrap? The difference is noticeable but not too bad.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Witt View Post
What do you think about Claptrap? The difference is noticeable but not too bad.
I donít like him nearly as much. He went from being obliviously cheerful and upbeat to being a total jerk. He still has some good lines but overall heís not enjoyable.

Zaneís holo-clone (that you can swap places with at will) is my favorite ability from any Borderlands game yet.

In one fight I went up against a bruiser with a shield. I tossed my clone behind him, and as he charged me I swapped places then shot him in the ass. He angrily turned around, charged again, I swapped again and repeated. He didnít last long. You can also go on a high place, drop a clone, jump down, engage enemies, then swap back and snipe them while they flail at your clone.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:44 PM
Just Some Guy
Charter Member

I've enjoyed it so far. I find it amusing that a lot of the reviews are "Borderlands 3 is just more Borderlands" like that's a bad thing. I like playing a game with some humor, that has a good story that can be played in single-player mode, and that doesn't have the microtransaction or loot box mechanics of a lot of newer games.
Old Yesterday, 08:08 AM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post
I've enjoyed it so far. I find it amusing that a lot of the reviews are "Borderlands 3 is just more Borderlands" like that's a bad thing.
Hell, if it was dramatically different, I would lose all interest in it. I want zillions of guns and zillions of guys to shoot with them. If Borderlands 36 is more Borderlands, I'll play it.