Old 09-06-2019, 06:45 PM

Did the day after scare you?

In the 80s a t.v.movie aired about nuclear war in akansas town.also there were the British film threads.if you watched it did you find it scary to watch?

Last edited by bionic_man; 09-06-2019 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Rewriting
Old 09-06-2019, 06:47 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Not in the least. Lawrence, Kansas needs nuking!
Old 09-06-2019, 06:48 PM

Hell yeah. Scared me and my sibs silly.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:57 PM

I didn't think too much of it but as a pre-teen, I might have missed some of the impact. As I was living about 90 minutes from Lawrence at the time, it gained a small bit of significance for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Lawrence, Kansas needs nuking!
I don't dispute this in any way but I'm curious as to your reasons. I have my own reason to bring about the end of Jayhawk basketball via nuclear conflagration but I welcome your thoughts.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:04 PM

As nuclear doomsday movies go, it was below average. Dull, dull, dull.

The only nuclear disaster film to scare me was a compilation of Cold War propaganda films called The Atomic Cafe. "Holy crap! These people were morons! And they had the Bomb? Jesus Christ, it's a wonder the world survived!" These were my very frightened thoughts while watching it.

Last edited by Two Many Cats; 09-06-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

It's Kansas. I would say drop one on Palco, but I may be the only person who knows where that is, or cares. Old family feuds.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:14 PM

My wife was emotionally scarred for life by The Day After as a kid. I remember being slightly concerned for a short while, then I quickly forgot about it. Neither of us have seen threads, but I'd like to.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:14 PM

I thought it was more depressing than scary.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:18 PM

Thanks for sharing, silenus. Yeah, Palco is kind of the middle of nowhere, even by Kansas standards.

In other news, best nuclear war film IMHO: By Dawn's Early Light.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:56 PM

Only saw bits and pieces of it as a kid. The one I remember is Special Bulletin.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:57 PM

TDA was nothing compared to Threads or When the Wind Blows

Threads scared the crap out of you with it's gritty realism

When the Wind Blows simply *CRUSHES* your SOUL, simply the most depressing, disheartening and gut-wrenching film I've ever seen, saw it once in high school and it stuck with me ever since, rewatching it again on YT , it has lost none of it's impact, it still tears my heart out of my chest, shows it to me, then utterly stomps it into a fine red paste....

"Shall we get into the paper bags again....?"......
Old 09-06-2019, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

No, I was already terrified by The War Game*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_Game

http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_s...me-script.html

Threads, a British follow-up, was almost as scary. Both these films depict harsh realities that The Day After shied away from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threads

*NOT the Matthew Broderick War Games, but the BBC dramatic recreation of atomic war. Much, much scarier than the (by comparison) much tamer American TV movie.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:04 PM

It didn't scare me but I already had a very, very clear idea of what nuclear devastation would look like and be like to live thru.

ETA: I agree that Threads was much more devastating to watch.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 09-06-2019 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post

The only nuclear disaster film to scare me was a compilation of Cold War propaganda films called The Atomic Cafe. "Holy crap! These people were morons! And they had the Bomb? Jesus Christ, it's a wonder the world survived!" These were my very frightened thoughts while watching it.
I love this film, and own a copy of it. The brilliant part of it is that it's simply a compilation of films and TV programs with no voice-over narration, or any dialogue that's not in the original.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

I live in Topeka, a short half hour from Lawrence. I figure I would have been toast, as the first nukes we saw were in KC, and Topeka is between KC and Lawrence. It scared me, but Threads was even worse, That last scene where the girl sees her baby and opens he mouth to scream, and the story ends, shudder.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTech View Post

When the Wind Blows simply *CRUSHES* your SOUL, simply the most depressing, disheartening and gut-wrenching film I've ever seen, saw it once in high school and it stuck with me ever since, rewatching it again on YT , it has lost none of it's impact, it still tears my heart out of my chest, shows it to me, then utterly stomps it into a fine red paste....

Would you say it it is more soul crushing than The Road? If so, I need to see it, and then hate myself for doing so.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

It shook me, rather than scare.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
Would you say it it is more soul crushing than The Road? If so, I need to see it, and then hate myself for doing so.
I never saw The Road, It looked interesting, but I heard it was pretty heavy-handed on the religion side, and I hate glurge, i'll see if it's available on any of the Big 3 streaming services...

WTWB is getting harder to find, I haven't seen a YT copy in a while, and the only DVD I've been able to find on Amazon is an unauthorized burn from a pirated source, WTWB needs to be re-released, either streaming or on DVD/Blu-Ray
Old 09-06-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:

Threads is just so straightforward - it really looks like a documentary about the end of the world, albeit set in the 80s.

It did scare me as a child and it scared my 1998 born child and her friends too.

Quote:
When the Wind Blows is animated, so that may change how it affects you. It's about two elderly British people doing everything they're told to. There is no outright horror and very little happens. But it's fairly unusual to watch it and not be upset at least, I'd say.

It's like the first section of Up, but the world ends.

The Day After, I only saw on YouTube a couple of years ago after it was recommended on here, and the effect was dimmed by having seen Threads as a child, but it was still well done and yeah, pretty scary.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:53 PM

I was very affected by the people turning into skeletons when the bombs went off in The Day After. It scared me for days.

Like others, Threads also terrified me. Especially the ending. It gave me nightmares for a long time.

Last edited by Quimby; 09-06-2019 at 08:54 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Threads did, The Day After didn’t.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiSam View Post
Threads is just so straightforward - it really looks like a documentary about the end of the world, albeit set in the 80s.

It did scare me as a child and it scared my 1998 born child and her friends too.

When the Wind Blows is animated, so that may change how it affects you. It's about two elderly British people doing everything they're told to. There is no outright horror and very little happens. But it's fairly unusual to watch it and not be upset at least, I'd say.

It's like the first section of Up, but the world ends.

<Snip>
This is a great video review of WTWB;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCEASf5TegE

Yes WTWB is animated, and that's part of the reason it takes you off guard, it starts slow, very slow, you get to see this endearing elderly couple live their daily life, they become *real* to you, they remind you of your parents, or grandparents, it's just the two characters, you simply fall in love with this wonderful, endearing couple, who are clearly still madly in love after decades together....

...and then you watch as their world, and they, simply fall apart..... physically, and mentally....

sorry, gotta go scare off those invisible ninjas cutting onions that have somehow snuck in....

be warned, WTWB *WILL* crush your soul!

if you feel nothing after watching this then you are not human and have no soul.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
I love this film, and own a copy of it. The brilliant part of it is that it's simply a compilation of films and TV programs with no voice-over narration, or any dialogue that's not in the original.
Remember that panel talk show with the politician who wanted to use nuclear bombs in the Korean War?

War Hawk Politician: "Yes, there are several targets north of the Yalu River we could use. We could destroy them! We could destroy them and contaminate them!"

Me watching movie: Down boy! Down, I say! Down!

But what I found most amusingly disturbing, beside Bert the Turtle of course, were the little topical songs they played. Such as:

"There were no atheists in a foxhole.
And men who never prayed before
Lifted up their eyes and hearts to heaven,
And begged the Lord to end that awful war.

They prayed to Him about their homes and loved ones,
And how they would love to be there.
I think the bomb that hit Hiroshima
Was the answer to a fighting boy's prayer."

The quotes are approximate from memory of years ago, but you can see, I watched it a number of times, and it made an enormous impression on me.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:06 PM

I thought Testament was the best ‘80s nuclear war drama. A low-key production, originally for PBS, starring Jane Alexander as the mother of a California family that gradually dies off from radiation poisoning.

(And I hate to correct my old neighbor Baker, but Lawrence is between Topeka and KC. I think she just misspoke).

Last edited by JKellyMap; 09-06-2019 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:19 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

I was 15 or 16 when it aired. I dont remember being scared even though I was prime age to be. A vague feeling of a memory makes me want to say I thought it was too slow.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:21 PM

On the Beach scared me. Failsafe scared me. By the time of The Day After I was toughened to it all.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:49 PM

I was 21 when it aired, and it didn't frighten me but it was hella depressing.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:

When the Wind Blows simply *CRUSHES* your SOUL, simply the most depressing, disheartening and gut-wrenching film I've ever seen ...
Quote:
Both of these were incredibly affecting, and terrifying. I'm not sure if the When The Wind Blows film aired in Australia, I read the Raymond Briggs graphic novel on which it was based.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
My wife was emotionally scarred for life by The Day After as a kid. I remember being slightly concerned for a short while, then I quickly forgot about it. Neither of us have seen threads, but I'd like to.
Threads is on dailymotion, in two parts. Used to be on YouTube in its entirety. Worth your time, but consider when it was made.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
I thought Testament was the best 80s nuclear war drama. A low-key production, originally for PBS, starring Jane Alexander as the mother of a California family that gradually dies off from radiation poisoning.
I was profoundly moved by "Testament". There's a scene where Jane Alexander's character is watching her youngest child burn in a mass cremation. She falls wailing to her knees, and scoops up handfuls of poisoned earth, screaming rage at the "leaders" who brought this upon everyone.

It deserves to be an iconic scene in movies. Like "STELLA!!!" or "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."
Old 09-07-2019, 07:05 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Not a bit, even though they clearly expected it to. Units in high school, special features on television and magazines and so forth.

But fuck, unless you were oblivious, we Gen X kids had been living under the constant threat of death en masse since we were born. Weird All made satirical songs about it, for heaven's sake.

Some asshole television execs saying we could be 'deeply effected' by their show only shows they weren't really paying attention, either.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:38 PM

I think I might have been confusing Threads and Testament. Which is the one that ends on the terrified mother freeze frame? That's the one I meant.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:52 PM

No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Some asshole television execs saying we could be 'deeply effected' by their show only shows they weren't really paying attention
I'm another one of those Gen-X that was supposed to be terrified by a risk I'd already internalized. If anything it was a risk that was on a downward trend.In 1983 the Soviet Union was already limping towards the glasnost and perestroika era that began just a few years later.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
In other news, best nuclear war film IMHO: By Dawn's Early Light.
I agree, that one is by far my favourite as well. I was just old enough to really understand the Cold War when it came to an end, and that movie was released in the same period so I probably watched it at a formative time. I did watch it again not so long ago and thought it really stood up, one of those occasions where the movie is better than the book its based on.

As for The Day After I only watched it fairly recently and it was better than I expected, the attack sequence is very well done in my opinion. It didn't scare me, but then I wasn't watching it in the early 1980's.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:45 PM

I was a teenager and I did not find it scary.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
I think I might have been confusing Threads and Testament. Which is the one that ends on the terrified mother freeze frame? That's the one I meant.
Must be Threads (which Id never heard of until now). Testament ends rather hopefully (all things considered), with the mother and surviving son deciding to not commit suicide after all.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not a bit, even though they clearly expected it to. Units in high school, special features on television and magazines and so forth.

But fuck, unless you were oblivious, we Gen X kids had been living under the constant threat of death en masse since we were born. Weird All made satirical songs about it, for heaven's sake.

Some asshole television execs saying we could be 'deeply effected' by their show only shows they weren't really paying attention, either.
Gen X? Try growing up a Baby Boomer and living about a good 3-iron from the largest MATS base in Southern California, about 15 miles from a key SAC base and the same from the largest rail marshaling yards on the West Coast. We didn't even bother with "duck & cover" drills.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

For whatever reason, I never saw Threads or The Day After, but we did see another movie with a similar subject called Special Bulletin. It was presented as if it was live news reports from the scene of a hostage-taking in Charleston, South Carolina by a group with a home-made nuclear bomb.
Old 09-07-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
I live in Topeka, a short half hour from Lawrence. I figure I would have been toast, as the first nukes we saw were in KC, and Topeka is between KC and Lawrence. It scared me, but Threads was even worse, That last scene where the girl sees her baby and opens he mouth to scream, and the story ends, shudder.
They are still out there. In the corn fields. The missile silos, that is. They are still targets for our adversaries. Even the deactivated ones.

Sleep well.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
No.

I'm another one of those Gen-X that was supposed to be terrified by a risk I'd already internalized. If anything it was a risk that was on a downward trend.In 1983 the Soviet Union was already limping towards the glasnost and perestroika era that began just a few years later.
I was in elementary school in '83, but I wasn't terrified of the Day After. Just more resigned it was going to happen, so be prepared, and enjoy the spectacle. Which I did, when watching that broadcast. Much better eye candy than Threads. The rockets launching, and weird optical effects when the bombs detonated, were really cool.

I'm surprised it didn't happen, those last 10 years of the Cold War, and the first few afterwards. The Coup against Gorbachev ended far better than anyone could have hoped. Ditto the unrest with Yeltsin.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Jones View Post
They are still out there. In the corn fields. The missile silos, that is. They are still targets for our adversaries. Even the deactivated ones.

Sleep well.
The Russians maybe---I doubt they have enough weapons anymore to go 2 to 1 in a counter force strike---and the Soviets certainly, but AIUI, the Chinese deterrent is counter value in nature. Though I suspect public knowledge of their deterrent pales in comparison with its actual magnitude. If it's countervalue though, I guess it's worse for most of the people here at the SDMB.

I expect Chinese missiles to fly before I expect Russian ones to, not that I think the Russians are friendly. We'll see. Made it 74 years so far...
Old 09-07-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
For whatever reason, I never saw Threads or The Day After, but we did see another movie with a similar subject called Special Bulletin. It was presented as if it was live news reports from the scene of a hostage-taking in Charleston, South Carolina by a group with a home-made nuclear bomb.
YES! Now that one was a bit disturbing. MUCH better than The Day After.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
That's "Threads". Haven't seen it.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:11 PM

I saw The Day After. It didn't scare me. I'd heard about all of that repeatedly in high school. That had already scared me.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Scared? No. I grew up in the "duck and cover" era. I was in my 30s when The Day After came out.

Of course, TDA depressed me. Testament depressed me a lot more. My wife got so depressed she got up and walked out - the only time that's ever happened.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:46 PM

No. It wasn't well made, and I had thought about its topic before.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post

The only nuclear disaster film to scare me was a compilation of Cold War propaganda films called The Atomic Cafe.
That's I thought. And the movie that scared me the most was The War Game from 1965. It seemed so much more plausible.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_Game

http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_s...me-script.html

Threads, a British follow-up, was almost as scary. Both these films depict harsh realities that The Day After shied away from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threads

*NOT the Matthew Broderick War Games, but the BBC dramatic recreation of atomic war. Much, much scarier than the (by comparison) much tamer American TV movie.
Damn. I knew I should finish reading the thread before posting!

I also found Testament somewhat scary, but mostly so so sad.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Gen X? Try growing up a Baby Boomer and living about a good 3-iron from the largest MATS base in Southern California, about 15 miles from a key SAC base and the same from the largest rail marshaling yards on the West Coast. We didn't even bother with "duck & cover" drills.
Yep. I had atom bomb nightmares when I was a kid in the 50s and 60s. I was in SoCal, too. I always figured we'd be one of the first targets.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:

This, and Special Report or whatever it was called, the one that was broadcastas though it was a live event (iirc even the commercials were part of the show) were really cool at the time, the whole family watched together. They only thing my parents were worried about was if I would get bored part way through.

The one movie that really affected me was the japanese anime, I can't think of the name, about a boy dealing with the death of his little brother. He carried him to where he thought he would get help but he was already dead. I want to say it was written by and based on the experience of a man who actually did survive the bombing of Hiroshima. My recall of specific details is fuzzy but the overall theme and story was very saddening for me.