Old 06-17-2011, 02:24 PM

health benefits network,,pharmacy discount card.

[QUOTE=jedi4747;13927430]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Ben View Post
(Magic 8-Ball says, "Signs point to no.")

I received in the mail today a "Pharmacy Discount Card" from "Health Benefits Network." I have never heard of this organization. They don't even have my full name on the mailing, a sure sign that they are working from a secondary source.

Has anybody else received one of these? Does anybody know anything about this organization or this card? Is this real? useful? legit? trap-free?[/ jedi4747,,,,,,I recieved one also and when I tried to use it at cvs they said I made the script go UP 10 cents per pill.....HUH? well I call them and told the and they said that was strange and offered no explanation. they said to try it at a different place, if I get another fishy answer from a drug store, then I,m reporting them to the BBB.....dont know why I got the card but the letter it came w/had the name of my normal drug on it,,,,strange to say the least. Please if anyone knows bout this , email me .. jedi4747@yahoo.com]

Last edited by jedi4747; 06-17-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Jedi4747, you seem to be having trouble with the quote function. I suggest you use the "preview" button to test what you are doing before posting. You can preview any number of times before releasing your mistakes bon mots to the entire world.

In any case, if anyone has more info (and we seem to be rather short of it at the moment), rather than emailing you, we hope they will post in this thread. After all, isn't that the reason for a message board?
Old 06-17-2011, 05:48 PM

These cards are for real. I assume collecting information about you is part of the deal, I assume they send some portion of that data off to drug companies, and who knows who else?

The business itself wouldn't cost much more to run than the mailouts and initial negotiations with corpropharma. The way these cards work, as discussed above, is simply by a pharmacy agreeing to take a lower price for drugs in exchange for the perceived increase in business - there is no payment from the discount card issuer to the pharmacy.

These discount cards give the largest proportional discounts to generic drugs that are moderately priced - there's not going to be much, if any discount on a $4 generic, and there isn't going to be much discount on most brand-name drugs, because the profit margins on them are already so low. Pharmacies make the bulk of their profits selling you penicillin 500mg #28 for $15 (wild estimation), which costs them pennies, rather than the 30 Lipitor that they may actually lose money on with an insured patient. or make only a small profit from a cash-paying patient. (Much better to convince the cash-paying patient to ask the MD about switching to a generic simvastatin or similar, in adherence and profits) The penicillin is an example of a prescription where the patient may actually save 75%, savings on the more and less expensive drugs are going to be much smaller. I've seen claims submitted to these cards that actually knocked pennies off of expensive brand-name prescriptions.

As Hirka T'Bawa mentioned upthread, certain information is transmitted electronically every time a claim is submitted to any PBM, whether it is for a discount card or insurance. I haven't ever read any of their privacy policies; that's an exercise left for the reader. I've seen them printed in the paper here, with instructions to submit the patient's phone number as the ID number. Data mining for sure, but we had quite the handful of people who benefited from it.

So to recap:

Yes, they give you a discount where they're accepted, so the pharmacy doesn't lose you to another pharmacy. Some drugs more than others, of course.

Yes, some information is transmitted about you.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:21 PM

Pharmacy Discount Card

I believe the card issuer receives a dollar or so each time the card is used to purchase a prescription. That is the way the company makes a profit.

For example, if the drug's retail price is $90 and you pay $60, the pharmacy is actually charging $59 for the drug and $1 as a fee that goes back to the card issuer.

Buying and selling personal info would probably be less profitable than that overall, and certainly less legal and therefore risky.

I understand why people are skeptical, but it's possible the paranoia is unfounded.

Note that the card is designed mostly for people who don't have insurance.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticbear View Post
Yes, some information is transmitted about you.
So shouldn't that fact show up in the fine print? Or is it legal to collect and forward any medical info for anyone without their knowledge?
Old 06-22-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
So shouldn't that fact show up in the fine print? Or is it legal to collect and forward any medical info for anyone without their knowledge?
Any time a claim is submitted to any PBM, there is at least name/DOB/name of drug that accompanies it. The same thing happens when you send a claim to your regular insurance company; that's how they identify that it's you and process your benefits.

The explanation handyguy makes way more sense than selling that info, but the company is getting some basic information about you regardless.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:32 PM

Digging a little deeper

It seems " health benefits network" is a marketing project of Loeb Enterprises on behalf
of Bio Scrip " www.bioscrip.com" community pharmacy network If you use the pharmacy locater on the HBN web site you will see the BioScrip logo Just follow the breadcrumbs from there. Loeb is in the business of mass marketing everything from branded merchandise to political candidates. Apparently BioScrip made some deals with
big pharma that they couldn't quite cover. Sooo, they hired Loeb to flood the market with their offer, so they coul.d cover their bets. Completely Legal, I.E. BS makes a deal with a drug company for a $100 drug. We will pay $50 each for 10,000 prescriptions. If they don' t make the numbers they lose the discount. Sooo, you go to the drug store, You get your prescription for $65 BS makes $10 and Loeb makes $5 and everybody goes home happy.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:47 PM

Mailing Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedcitizen View Post
I to received a Health Benefits Network Pharmacy Discount Card in todays mail. This must be a mass marketing ploy gathering some type of information.
I wanted to say that the address used on the envelope I received is different then I saw above.
Mine is:
4110 Mass Ave #106
Washington, DC 20016
It appears that there is no Mass Ave #106 when searched. They have it listed on google as their address but it doesn't seem to exist. It also appears there is no Mass Ave...However there is a Massachusetts Ave..
When I looked on their website at their privacy page, it' not reassuring.
Something stinks here and I will certainly avoid it. I am not interested in handing my information to scam artists...At least let them work for it...lol....
The address is abbreviated to try and deter you from figuring out it is just a mailbox (#106) at the UPS Store, 4410 Massachusetss Ave, DC.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:26 PM

I received one also

Quote:

I received in the mail today a "Pharmacy Discount Card" from "Health Benefits Network." I have never heard of this organization. They don't even have my full name on the mailing, a sure sign that they are working from a secondary source.

Has anybody else received one of these? Does anybody know anything about this organization or this card? Is this real? useful? legit? trap-free?
Today Monday, 7/25/2011 I got card in mail saying to take to pharmacy next time I get my medication, and save 75%. What did you find out about this co.?
Old 07-25-2011, 10:31 PM

Today Monday, 7/25/2011 I got card in mail saying to take to pharmacy next time I get my medication, and save 75%. What did you find out about this co.?
Old 07-25-2011, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica Koerperich View Post
All we know is in this thread. Did you read through it?
Old 07-25-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:

Has anybody else received one of these? Does anybody know anything about this organization or this card? Is this real? useful? legit? trap-free?
Alot of complaints on another page about the Co. So beware of the wolf in sheeps clothing. LOL. They know where to go for more money from us. Our medications. This co. is reported to make promises to people, and take their money and run. This I just read on another page of complaints.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:41 PM

health benefit network

I also recieved pharmacy discount card. Used it at local pharmacy the prescription came to $217.00 Gave the discount card and the total jumped to $234.00.
My conclusion shred it!!
Old 08-08-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:

Just recived one of these today, don't know anything about them yet...
Old 08-08-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
From their privacy policy page:
Yes, I'm aware that access to my information was the price I paid for an $83.00 price drop (cost $207, paid $124) on a medication that was not covered by my insurance.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:46 PM

judge for yourself...

Quote:

http://www.pharmacydiscountnetwork.com/privacy.html .....read this before you use the card, then you decide.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:49 PM

read this...

http://www.pharmacydiscountnetwork.com/privacy.html
Old 08-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrisb1 View Post
That's pretty scary. It tells the numerous ways they require and collect personal information and the myriad of third parties they pass it along to. Just because it may be aggregated doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence that I would be anonymous.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:54 PM

Pharmacy Discount Card

My husband got one of these cards - two of them in fact - from the Health Benefits Network in Washington DC. I have tried to find out more about them as we all know 'if it sounds too good to be true it usually is'. I found your site from my search.

My husband lost his job 18 months ago. His COBRA health insurance fortunately has an extra extension as we live in CA for another 18 months. Of course we are now paying full pop for this insurance, but lost the dental and eye coverage. If this card is legit it could help us out a lot.

I am on disability and have Medicare, but also have Kaiser as my Medicare supplement insurance. Kaiser buys out the contract from Medicare so they have full control over the benefits they provide. They are very controlling about using any outside source for prescriptions to save money. You can jeopardize your membership if you go to a non-Kaiser pharmacy.

Does anyone know if Kaiser would accept this card?

Have people used this card successfully without any negative repercussions?

Thanks for any input to help!
Old 09-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

It sounds to me like you need to ask Kaiser about this, not us.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:44 AM

I'm sorry Chronos - I am brand new to this group. After reading more of the comments it looks like having health insurance and using this card do not mix. My husband has COBRA health insurance. Doing anything that could jeopardize that is out of the question. It is definitely not worth the risk. Doing anything to possibly lose my coverage with Kaiser is also not worth the risk. The cards came saying that they were all ready approved and all ready to be used. How is that possible if we have never applied for them. Sounds like a phishing scam to me now that I think about it. Buyer Beware! I know all about those lists of collected personal information being sold to unscrupulous scammers and spammers. This feels like one of those 'scams' that become activated the first time you use the card and your personal information from the pharmacy is then collected for the list. I read over the website for the card and it promises not to share information, but they can say anything they want to on a website. Does not mean any of it is true. I think we shall pass on this 'discount'. Sound like it would cost a lot more than it is worth in the end. >^..^<
Old 09-29-2011, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

You are wise, krazikat, to be skeptical. But I think it wouldn't hurt to check with Kaiser before discarding the card, as Chronos suggested.

IMHO, you might indeed benefit financially, but lose privacy. Could be the benefits outweigh the sacrifices. At least that's what I have gleaned from this thread discussion.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:

I also received 2 Pharmacy Discount Cards today. I had never heard of them before either. I called the number listed at the bottom of the page (1-877-513-1935) and spoke to a very nice young man who explained everything to me. It sounds legit to me. I asked him how he received my name and he said sometimes people who are already users of the card will recommend other people who may be interested. I asked him if there is ever a fee or charge of any kind, he said there absolutely is no charge at all. I asked him who was behind this company and where they gets their funds from. He told me they are a company in D.C. who offers this discount card to people knowing the cost of meds today, particularly those who don't have health coverage. The way they make money is when the pharmacy gives you the discount, they receive a percentage of that from the pharmacy, which is why the pharmacy is inclined to honor the card. If they don't comply the customer would be inspired to use a different pharmacy. He said some small stores will not accept the card but most places do. And he said even if you do have health insurance you can also receive a discount. I also asked him about the percentage, it said "up to 75%" - so I asked what the average savings was and he told the average is 25-30%, he seemed very honest and forthcoming.

I may be naive, but it all sounded very feasible to me. Like I said he was more than forthcoming with every question I asked him. I of course haven't had a chance to try mine yet, but I am definitely going to use it on my next visit to my pharmacy.

If you have any other questions, I would advise you to call that number - they are very nice and answer all you questions.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahman View Post
I also received a card from this business. I checked with the BBB and Health Benefits is not accredited. The Network has not supplied management or business type information to the bureau. It may be an information gathering system. My guess is they're collecting data to sell to other companies. This isn't illegal, of course, but it's not something most people are amenable to.
I called Health Benefits Network and told them they were not accredited by the BBB and had 6 complaints. The man on the phone told me he was not aware of this and said the complaints were probably from people who had tried to use the card at a small business with a pharmacy which he said usually will not honor the card but added that most companies do. He told me that the benefit to them from us using the card is that they receive a percentage of the discount from the pharmacy. The pharmacy is inclined to comply because they could lose business if the customer goes to another pharmacy that does comply.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolson View Post
This is a quote from the BBB sight, hope this helps the curious:

Based on BBB files, this business has a BBB Rating of No Rating. The reason is as follows: This business has no rating because BBB has information indicating it is out of business.

Health Benefit Network was brought to BBB's attention in May, 2008. HBN claims an address of 8775 Centre Park Drive, Columbia, MD, 21045 on their Web site www.healthben.com, and has also given this address to a consumer. Jennifer Stephan with Continental Realty, the company who manages the suites at this address, verified with BBB that there is no Health Benefit Network located at 8775 Centre Park Drive, Columbia, MD, 21045.

When BBB contacted HBN at their toll free number a representative gave HBN's address as 300 International Drive, Suite 100, Williamsville, NY. HBN explained to BBB that their marketing company, Prime Liberty occupied the MD address listed. They stated a supervisor would get back to BBB, thus far no one from HBN has contacted the BBB representative back.

BBB then verified with Continental Realty that there is no Prime Liberty located at the 8775 Centre Park Drive, MD address. A legitimate Healthcare Discount Company, Prime Liberty, occupies the Williamsville, NY, address given by HBN to a BBB representative, and this company claims no association with Health Benefit Network.

Reportedly, HBN contacted a consumer via telephone and attempted to sell him a Healthcare Benefit Discount Plan. They informed him that there was a one time non-refundable fee of $129.99 and they would need his credit card information. According to the consumer, when he asked for some type of documentation or contract the representative refused and said he would receive this information after they charge his account. The consumer claims extreme profanity was used against him and then he was hung up on.
When I spoke to Health Benefits Network he told me they were located in D.C. and the return address on my envelope is: 4410 Mass. Ave #106, Wash., D.C.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiya33 View Post
I received a free Pharmacy Discount Card in the mail like so many other people, and when i checked on the name on the back (LOEW Enterprises)that backs lots of different companies and enterprises such as in China...it didn't seem to be a really legitimate card...especially since I didn't ask for it...I'm not going to use it even if it has discount..because I don't want them to access any of my pharmacy info or anything else personal...
I don't know if it was just a typo, but my card lists the company as LOEB, not LOEW. I haven't researched LOEB, so I don't know if this will make a difference or not.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boboskeewhanttintatin View Post
So, I too received the same card by snail mail.... I was reluctant to use it but thought twice when the $350 a month, ins. policy, I can barely afford, refused to cover any of my mental health medications Being they were not considered "needed" by some random all knowing power that be. (This would be Restat prescription coverage.) "They" seem to know better, than my Dr. and my body what is best for my specific situation....

Needless to say, I went ahead and used the discount card at CVS. The normal cash price I pay out of pocket a month is $264... for 3 uncovered medications. With the discount card, I walked out having only paid $172. The most expensive med, a generic adhd, normally runs me $145... I only paid $62, which was the most significant discount.

With that said, today I went to fill some refills and now Cvs is saying my insurance will not cover ANY MEDS... BUT, I can use the discount card. I paid 2X as much for my scripts today, although they were still cheaper than the normal cost....

Any thoughts on how this could happen? I've been on hold with my insurance company for almost 45 mins... noone has an explanation.

I'll be back with the results!!

If I were you I would call Health Benefit Network (1-877-513-1935). I called them several times with questions and found them to be very helpful and forthcoming.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super granny View Post
I have recieved three of these carrds, today was the third one. I have not read that anyone else had a name of a drug that they may be using. In my letter in the upper right corner was the name of my drugs, which I had just gotten filled a month ago. The first cards I recieved I called and told them I did not request the card and to take me off of their list. Cut the cards up. Todays letter said it was my LAST CHANCE. I called the pharmacy that I use, thinking that they sold the info. to another company. The manager gave me the corp. number and I talked to a person there. They assured me that they don't sell info. especially drug info. They suggested that I call my local police and report it. The lady at the corp. office gave me a ref. number and that they were going to investigate from their end. If anyone else has recieved a letter with drug info on it , that is personal info. that nobody should have except you and your dr. The other thing with this card is if it cvost you nothing to use it, how does the company make money? I don't believe that there is a company out there just giving it away.
I received 2 cards today for the first time. I called the company and asked them what they get out of doing this since there is no charge, they told me that they receive a percentage of the discount the pharmacy gives to you. And there was no drug info on my letter.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
So, RAYLEARNED, since I doubt that anyone would give you free groceries just because of your misuse of font cases, just how do you think the discount card company makes their money? It must come from something you have to offer, like medical and personal data. Was there any fine print that could shed some light on that?
When I called the company and asked them how they made any money doing this since there is no charge to us. They told me they receive a percentage of the discount that is given to us.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedcitizen View Post
I to received a Health Benefits Network Pharmacy Discount Card in todays mail. This must be a mass marketing ploy gathering some type of information.
I wanted to say that the address used on the envelope I received is different then I saw above.
Mine is:
4110 Mass Ave #106
Washington, DC 20016
It appears that there is no Mass Ave #106 when searched. They have it listed on google as their address but it doesn't seem to exist. It also appears there is no Mass Ave...However there is a Massachusetts Ave..
When I looked on their website at their privacy page, it' not reassuring.
Something stinks here and I will certainly avoid it. I am not interested in handing my information to scam artists...At least let them work for it...lol....
I'm curious now about what was said about Massachusetts Ave., which is the correct address. If you look at your envelope the address is listed as: Mass. Ave., which would be an abbreviation for Massachusetts Ave.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman53 View Post
So here it is, Health Benefits Network: in Wasington, DC. What is with this Pharmacy Discount Card? I did not ask for it. It just came in the mail ready to use.
Who are they and why did they send me something that I did not ask for, and why can I not find them on the Net? Can not see why they are doing this and what for???
I don't know why you couldn't find them on the net, I googled them and several listings came up.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
And why would the pharmacy pay the company?
I called Health Benefit Network today and asked them how they make any money since there is no charge to the client. They told me that they receive a percentage of the discount from the pharmacy. And the reason the pharmacy complies is because they don't want to lose your business since you could go to another pharmacy that accepts the discount cards.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:07 PM

Guys this all goes back and started with PBM's (Pharmacy Benefit Managers). PBMs manage prescription drug benefit programs for employers, unions, health plans and other payers. PBMs were created to act as a broker between these payers and the drug companies to help control the cost of drug coverage. One popular method was to network all the major drug stores with insurance companies where insurance companies would get the best possible discount rate from the drugstore for their policy holders that they pay for their drugs for. EXAMPLE: If you work for a company and they provide you insurance that includes paying for medications , then when you go to a drugstore that has obligated itself to honor these discount rates to get some of the network business their way , you pay your (sometimes) co pay, get the medicine, and the drugstore bills the remainder discounted rate to your insurance company, .....and in the deal, the drugstore pays a $2-$3 participating fee to the network for each prescription business it gets as a result of the of the network. (hint: this step is where money is made)

However, if a businessman with an Entrepreneur spirit about him was crafty enough, and had enough political inside info of how all this works, he could apply for and start his own company to be in this network and if approved, would be assiged an accredited PCN/PBM/BIN/GROUP number that he could issue to whoever he wants to benefit from the same discount prices that the insurance companies gets. So this businessman can then offer "free prescript cards" and can decide who he will make the beneficiary of their discounts, (normally the uninsured or under-insured), to allow them to get the same discounts as insurance companies get. He then prints up cards (like you got), puts his assigned numbers on it (so the drug store will recognize it and know who to pay that $2 - $3 fee back to. Then that businessman's company makes a few dollars every time someone uses his card that he (or one of his workers) passed out. This type of business is now getting VERY VERY saturated, as more and more of these companies are now starting up and getting these "network accredited card numbers", and each trying to get their cards into someones hands first. Search google for "discount prescription cards" and you will see pages and pages of these free card company s. Heck, look at the google ads on this very board and it will have 3 or 4 prescrip card companies ads showing in the google block ads. They advertise "Up to" 75% off, but realistically, 45% was the very highest I have ever heard that an actual user got, and most times the discounts are usually 10% -25% off when using a free script card, and sometimes nothing off, if it is a high tier drug.

Now the cards are fine to use, but there is some ripoff going on here, but it is seldom on you or the card (unless one was stupid enough to "pay money" for one of these free cards), but the ripoff/scam comes from "some" of these start up company's promising "their" employees/reps that are looking for work, that if they will hand out, mail out, give so many thousands of these cards out, then they can make millions (company makes 2-3 bucks and workers make 50 cents "IF" someone actually uses uses the card that was handed out, HOWEVER, these actual workers working under these companies will usually end up getting very little profit for their efforts because the worker normally has to pay for all card printing and all distributing costs (stamps, gas, etc). So if you get an offer to hand out free prescrip cards, taking that job is the only real risk here, because you just might get 10,000 cards distributed for a company and they may not pay you a thing, and claiming you did something wrong and claiming an "out" so that they don't have to pay you for any of your working efforts...but let me also state there are some GOOD companies out their too that are offering these free cards, that very fairly compensate their reps and employees for their distributing of cards So careful research and checking references will often separate one from the other of who to work for if you are looking for for a part time or full time job handing out free prescription cards.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:08 PM

(continued from above)

Of course keep in mind, this "free" card usually only benefits people that are paying for their prescriptions out of their pocket (normally the uninsured or under insured). If you have some form of government assistance, employment assistance, or private insurance coverage that offers prescription provisions, then the drugstore usually only lets you use one method or the other. So if you do try one of these cards, and have other means of prescription pay help, have the druggist to look at both and to figure which would reflect your better price to pay.

How do I know some of this? I personally investigated getting my own BIN/PCM/Group number to form my own network, but the politics and hoops to have to jump through was too involved, plus I found out you have to have some VERY inside contacts and info to tap into starting a company like this. Why am I posting today? I got one of these cards in the mail today too, and wanted to see if they were related to any of the networks I had checked out before or if I recognized any names that I looked into, so I stumbled onto this topic concerning this company as you did.

If you pay nothing on the front end for these types of cards, they are harmless. They either will have a legit BIN/PCN number on them that most any major drug store will verify when you try to use it, and if so, if you buy your medicine "out of pocket", you really can get anywhere from a 0 to 45% discount on use. As far as privacy info that others have commented on, most of that pertains to info you send in or sign up for through using this company;s web page and not the use of card, ......but in reality when using theses types of cards for med buying, confidentiality of your purchases is determined by your pharmacy, they control that through their own individual associations. Next time you are getting meds and using whatever payment you use now, ask them to explain who all may have access to you or your med purchases transaction info, if they start sounding dodgy, it is time to find a more trustworthy pharmacy that "IS" concerned about your privacy and more informed of their policy.
I don't claim to have all the answers, but instead just sharing some research that I found out during a possible business venture into this field. ...but as always, take mine and any prior comments of others, with a grain of salt, because I know for a fact some of these comments already made in this topic are trying to be helpful, but have no idea what they are talking about and just guessing, and are feeding you some very bad information for you to make an intelligent decision with.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz123 View Post
Yes this card is real, and it does work! Got it last week and gave it to my son. He takes Dilantin for seizures (cost $58.00) He used the card, and to my surprize, the cost was only $20.06! I have no idea of why it came in the mail, but it does give a nice discount. (Used it at CVS pharmacy)
I gave this card to my daughter just this morning and she took it to a local pharmacy.She has no insurance herself.The pharmacy told her it wouldn't help but would raise the price of the prescriptions. So she didn't use it. My sister said she also tried to use it at another local drug store and they said it wouldn't do any good neither. Are these drug stores just telling us this.I know I used a different one at walgreens and it did help there! But it was not this card but another that we picked up I think in a health department somewhere.This one we got in the mail and evodently is either no good or they are lieing to use so we won't use it.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGasbarro View Post
I called Health Benefit Network today and asked them how they make any money since there is no charge to the client. They told me that they receive a percentage of the discount from the pharmacy. And the reason the pharmacy complies is because they don't want to lose your business since you could go to another pharmacy that accepts the discount cards.
Well my daughter has no help paying her prescriptions and no health insurance or prescription insurance at all no help period. She had to go to the ER cause she had no money only works enough hrs at work so that she will NOT get insurance coverage.She tried to use this card at our local drug store and was told that it wouldn't help but may even raise the price of her prescriptions.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick236 View Post
I also recieved pharmacy discount card. Used it at local pharmacy the prescription came to $217.00 Gave the discount card and the total jumped to $234.00.
My conclusion shred it!!
You make no sense! You said you used it and the medicine came to 217 then you used it and it cost 234?Did you use it twice?
Old 10-27-2011, 09:12 PM

I too was skeptical until I used my card today at my local Walgreens.. one prescription went from $41.62 to $30.32.. I was only expecting a few dollars off.. i was very content with this card.. i know i am appreciative that the pharmacies do accept these discount cards when medication cost are rising.. any saving help!! good luck to the one's having bad luck with these cards.. make sure you check the list of pharmacies online they take this card. Only 4 places in my area take them and i live in a large city..
Old 11-23-2011, 08:46 AM

Health Benefits Network

I emailed and requested assistance from a pharmaceutical company on my expensive prescription. They then sent me information on this company with suggestions to use it for other prescriptions.

Am out of town and will definitely give it a try when I return home, since the cost has stopped me from filling several prescriptions even with BC/BS insurance which covers only generics at a discount.

In my case the Rx would be worth the loss of privacy.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:04 PM

Pharmacy Discount Card

My husband & I recently received a card each; we were also sceptical. I presented mine to Walgreens this morning for my prescription purchase and they confirmed it was legit. I didn't use it because the 75% was less than my BCBS discount. You must use 1 card or the other at a time. On the other hand, my husband wll use his card because the discount is more than his BCBS coverage.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:42 PM

Total scam

Did anyone else pay action to the envelope there are 2 different zip codes posted on it, at least there was on mine. One was the 20016 which they themselves put on it, but also there is the one from the US postal service from the zip code 60515 which is Downers Grove, IL. An I don't know about you but when I get mail from people it generally is stamped some where near it not states away. The letter we got also had my moms main medication listed on it. Now they did have two separte member Id's. An if you read on the front of the card it says "this is not insurance" an I'm sorry to those who believe this but I didn't ask for it, and it seems strange that so many people had these "cards" just "show" up, and with your medication listed on it. No, beside any letter with a p.s. and a p.p.s. isn't real. Also when you say free so many times, I don't trust it, also it's written WAY to friendly not in a straight forward manner that REAL companies use, also look at all of the words they have typed, with no fine print-major red flag. Let me know if this helps anyone,
Old 01-15-2012, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Llama llama, glad to have you with us. I hope you'll stick around, investigate our site, and contribute again. Maybe some day we'll reach a firm conclusion about this matter.

But not yet. While you are right to be skeptical, I don't think we have found a definitive answer about this medical card/company. It isn't clear whether they are a scam or just straddling the line between invasion of privacy and useful discounts.

Just because something is mailed from a different zipcode than expected doesn't prove the mailers are up to no good. There are many legitimate reasons why this might happen.

I suggest you just be cautious. Take advantage of discounts if you can, but don't think you are getting something for nothing.

And if anyone from the "Health Benefit Network" is listening, it would be good if you would come clean, lay all your cards on the table (if you dare), and 'fess up to what's up. We'll be glad you did.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:02 PM

Got one of these cards the other day and research led me here. The following quote comes to mind:

If you're not paying for it, then you aren't the costumer. You're the product.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rghthndsd View Post
Got one of these cards the other day and research led me here. The following quote comes to mind:

If you're not paying for it, then you aren't the costumer. You're the product.
If you're not the costumer, what are you wearing?