Old 05-13-2019, 12:17 PM

Trump's about to go into a foreign policy death spiral.

Everybody now knows that his threat displays are toothless and that they are the only tool in his box. The Chinese tariff retaliation coming on the heels of North Korea's nuke tests and Iranian sanctions topped off with the article about his hostile takeover pump-and-dump schemes seems like all the plot points coming together for an epic tale of utter humiliaton on the world stage. Too bad about all us ancillary characters. Am I reading this wrong?

Last edited by KidCharlemagne; 05-13-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCharlemagne View Post
... Am I reading this wrong?
Remember how Trump promised to repeal and replace Obamacare? And make it cheaper? Look how successful he was with that! I expect similar results with his foreign policy. The health care thing is just one example, by the way. Gaze upon his marvelous wall for another.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Remember how Trump promised to repeal and replace Obamacare? And make it cheaper? Look how successful he was with that! I expect similar results with his foreign policy. The health care thing is just one example, by the way. Gaze upon his marvelous wall for another.
And his military parade! It's going to be Da Best Military Parade evah!

Yeah, right.

As for Venezuela, THAT seems to be what he wants to do to the U.S., more so than turning us into North Korea v. 2.0.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
... North Korea's nuke tests ...
What nuke tests?
Old 05-13-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
What nuke tests?
Whoops, meant missile.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Everybody now knows that his threat displays are toothless and that they are the only tool in his box. ...
I don't think this is a viewpoint shared by Iran. If it is, they're extremely foolish for doing so.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I don't think this is a viewpoint shared by Iran. If it is, they're extremely foolish for doing so.
It's not that he won't sanction - he already has. It's that they won't cave and will probably counter. I think everyone smells blood in the water and there's gonna be a feeding frenzy. Iran will antagonize and Trump won't be able to respond for fear of being called out for foreign adventurism by his base.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
It's not that he won't sanction - he already has. It's that they won't cave and will probably counter. I think everyone smells blood in the water and there's gonna be a feeding frenzy. Iran will antagonize and Trump won't be able to respond for fear of being called out for foreign adventurism by his base.
Never underestimate the ability of the Orange Menace to change the subject: "Has anyone noticed that there have been more sunny days since I became president? Twice as many compared with the last administration. Mine has been the sunniest presidency in history! The Dems won't admit it. You're welcome!"
Old 05-14-2019, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's not that he won't sanction - he already has. It's that they won't cave and will probably counter.
Wait. Counter? What? Are they allowed to do that?
Old 05-13-2019, 12:53 PM

There are worse things than sanctions that can happen to Iran.

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 05-13-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Of course there are. One hopes that Trump isn't that stupid.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
The Iranians also get to have some input on whether we have a war or not.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:

Well, ya know, that's the funny thing about a war; you really only need one side to start it.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I like an optimist.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Of course, the vast majority of Trump supporters haven't and don't intend to volunteer for the military, so many of them won't have any qualms about this.
I infer from the fact that 61% of active military personnel voted for Trump that the "vast majority" of voters in the military are (or were in 2016) Trump supporters, ergo Trump supporters do volunteer for military service. Not sure where you are getting your stats...
Old 05-14-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jackson View Post
I infer from the fact that 61% of active military personnel voted for Trump that the "vast majority" of voters in the military are (or were in 2016) Trump supporters, ergo Trump supporters do volunteer for military service. Not sure where you are getting your stats...
Whether true or not, this doesn't conflict with anything I wrote. You might have to read more carefully.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
One hopes that Trump isn't that stupid.
Oh, hes definitely that stupid. Hope instead that a squirrel distracts him.
According to the Anti-Defamation League, "In 2018, domestic extremists killed at least 50 people in the US, a sharp increase from the 37 extremist-related murders documented in 2017....every single extremist killing from Pittsburgh to Parkland had a link to right-wing extremism."
Old 05-14-2019, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is Trump planning on becoming President there?
Old 05-13-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Everybody now knows that his threat displays are toothless and that they are the only tool in his box. The Chinese tariff retaliation coming on the heels of North Korea's nuke tests and Iranian sanctions topped off with the article about his hostile takeover pump-and-dump schemes seems like all the plot points coming together for an epic tale of utter humiliaton on the world stage. Too bad about all us ancillary characters. Am I reading this wrong?
You forgot to include Venezuela, where after his administration issued strong threats against the Mauro regime only to have Trump back down once Putin told him to.

As I have said before, we have no foreign policy. Just random whims of a president who believes that last person he heard and changes policy via twitter before bothering to inform his secretary of state.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 05-13-2019 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
You forgot to include Venezuela, where after his administration issued strong threats against the Mauro regime only to have Trump back down once Putin told him to.

As I have said before, we have no foreign policy. Just random whims of a president who believes that last person he heard and changes policy via twitter before bothering to inform his secretary of state.
Whoops, I had it in but deleted to put in NK first and then forgot to add it back. Yup, it's another grenade for sure.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
As I have said before, we have no foreign policy.
Yes, but that has been the case, since WWII if not WWI.
US foreign policy is simply the extension of US domestic interests.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:24 PM

Who the hell knows? It's impossible to predict what an inherently irrational and entirely incompetent actor like Trump will do. He might start a dumb war and get Americans killed for nothing; he may do absolutely nothing at all except poop-tweet.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:59 PM

As long as this administration does nothing provocative with regard to our delicate relationship with Iran, the ball is totally in Iran's court! Relax, we're in... good... hands.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
As long as this administration does nothing provocative with regard to our delicate relationship with Iran, the ball is totally in Iran's court! Relax, we're in... good... hands.
In any semblance of a sane foreign policy, that was capable of learning lessons from the last 20 years, the only chance of a war with Iran would be if Iran attacked us or invaded a neighbor.

But Trump is incapable both of learning and of rational decision making. So it will be a roll of the dice to see if he gets young American men and women who have volunteered killed for no reason. Of course, the vast majority of Trump supporters haven't and don't intend to volunteer for the military, so many of them won't have any qualms about this.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 05-13-2019 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
... So it will be a roll of the dice to see if he gets young American men and women who have volunteered killed for no reason. ...
And speaking as a human on the planet: Iranian men, women and children, too.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
And speaking as a human on the planet: Iranian men, women and children, too.
Of course. Historically, many more of them would die than American volunteers, should the Trump administration choose such a colossally stupid path.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:28 PM

Trump understands that foreign crises or even war are the way to divert from domestic problems, so will keep war-monger Bolton around so he can egg Trump on. Other than Bolton, who are Trump's top foreign policy advisors? Kushner, Hannity and Putin? Any others? Stephen Miller?? Does Trump still look to Steve Bannon for guidance?

Kushner is way past his Peter Principle ceiling and, at best, can be trusted to relay the wishes of two MidEast tyrants: Netanyahu and MBS al-Saud. Hannity will say whatever will leave him in Trump's good graces.

This leaves Putin as the key foreign policy adviser. I expect Trump to pretty much do Putin's bidding. Putin will deploy his asset carefully: he doesn't want the asset to become ineffective from excessive ridicule.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Trump understands that foreign crises or even war are the way to divert from domestic problems, so will keep war-monger Bolton around so he can egg Trump on. Other than Bolton, who are Trump's top foreign policy advisors?
FOX & Fiends Friends.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Both sides are currently doing things that could be perceived as provocative by the other.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
#Allstate2020
Old 05-13-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:

Well, Iran refused to unconditionally cease to exist, so our strike against them during Mueller's testimony in front of Congress was entirely their fault.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 05-13-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, Iran refused to unconditionally cease to exist, so our strike against them during Mueller's testimony in front of Congress was entirely their fault.
I have enough faith in my leaders to believe that they won't take drastic measures unless absolutely necessary.

"FREEZE! Hands in the air! Get down on the ground, NOW! Don't move a muscle! Stop resisting! They're going for my gun!"

- Officer J.R. Bolton, D.C.'s finest
Old 05-13-2019, 02:09 PM

The impression I have of the Trump base is that he can fail all day long on the foreign stage and it will not matter one bit. Surely they'll hand-wave it away like any other bad (sorry "fake") news. But how high does foreign policy rank on the radar of the nationalist, protectionist, 'Merica-first Trump voter? They like him because he won't play with all those foreign types! This is the guy who tanked the Paris Accords, backs out of trade deals, regularly denigrates the UN and NATO. If he does well with anything they'll say "Look what a deal-maker he is!" But if we end up in, say, a trade war with China it's because, "He's a tough negotiator and won't take any crap!" The myth of Trump as the mighty negotiator persists and explains all the successes and all the failures...
Old 05-13-2019, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

About as much input as Saddam had on whether there would be Gulf War II.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:42 PM

I suppose he's making the point that only a relatively small % of our population serve in the military. but the same sort of accusation could be made against, for example, Democrats:

"Of course, the vast majority of [Obama] supporters haven't and don't intend to volunteer for the military, so many of them won't have any qualms about " fighting in Libya, or Somalia, or Syria, Yemen, or Iraq, or Afghanistan, or Pakistan.

Looked at in that light, it (iiandyiii's lame chickenhawk-ish argument) loses most of its relevance.
Old 05-14-2019, 02:46 PM

I understand that many Americans really don't have qualms about sending others to die in wars, even wars with little or no purpose, but a pet peeve of mine is young-ish, hale-bodied Americans advocating, celebrating, and/or justifying wars in which they have no intention to involve themselves and put themselves at risk. It's quite reasonable to criticize such cowardice, common as it is.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:20 PM
Extrajudicial

Quote:
I understand that many Americans really don't have qualms about sending others to die in wars, even wars with little or no purpose, but a pet peeve of mine is young-ish, hale-bodied Americans advocating, celebrating, and/or justifying wars in which they have no intention to involve themselves and put themselves at risk. It's quite reasonable to criticize such cowardice, common as it is.
Provoking or even entertaining war with Iran absent some very significant casus bellie would be incredibly foolish and terrible.

That being said, nevermore has your employ of the word "reasonable" been more on display as wholly without meaning. Whether or not a country and its populace is willing to go to war should be based on the underlying risks, rewards, rationales, and causes. Almost no where in the calculus is whether any individual person has enlisted or is planning to enlist. Expressing an opinion on whether any particular military action is justifiable doesn't suddenly transform from bravery to cowardice hinging on the speaker's military service.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
Provoking or even entertaining war with Iran absent some very significant casus bellie would be incredibly foolish and terrible.

That being said, nevermore has your employ of the word "reasonable" been more on display as wholly without meaning. Whether or not a country and its populace is willing to go to war should be based on the underlying risks, rewards, rationales, and causes. Almost no where in the calculus is whether any individual person has enlisted or is planning to enlist. Expressing an opinion on whether any particular military action is justifiable doesn't suddenly transform from bravery to cowardice hinging on the speaker's military service.
Sure it's reasonable. If you (the general "you") think young people should be put at risk of death for some purpose, but not yourself, when you're perfectly able to do so, then you're being cowardly. It's as simple of that. Sure, it's quite common, but it's still cowardly. You are free to have a different definition of cowardice, if you like.

And it doesn't conflict with the notion (which I agree with) that "Whether or not a country and its populace is willing to go to war should be based on the underlying risks, rewards, rationales, and causes." Yes, that is the basis on which we should decide to go to war. And if you're able but not willing to join the war that you are supporting on that basis, then you are a gutless coward, barring a few unusual circumstances (i.e. you're the sole caregiver for your children, you're irreplaceable in some sort of critical public service work [and the bar for this would be very high], etc.).

Until I turn 50 or so, or have some medical condition that would render me incapable of serving, or find myself as the sole caregiver for children, I will not support or advocate for any military action that puts young Americans at risk unless I plan to return to service and join them. If we were severely attacked, unprovoked, by one of our adversaries, I would attempt to rejoin the Navy, because I would probably feel that war was appropriate in those circumstances. To do otherwise would be cowardice, in my view.

My view of cowardice and duty may not be terribly common, and of course you are free to disagree with them, but that you disagree doesn't make them unreasonable.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 05-14-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
... Until I turn 50 or so, or have some medical condition that would render me incapable of serving, or find myself as the sole caregiver for children, I will not support or advocate for any military action that puts young Americans at risk unless I plan to return to service and join them. If we were severely attacked, unprovoked, by one of our adversaries, I would attempt to rejoin the Navy, because I would probably feel that war was appropriate in those circumstances. To do otherwise would be cowardice, in my view. ...
So did you oppose the airborne assault on Osama bin Laden's compound in Pakistan?

Last edited by HurricaneDitka; 05-14-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
So did you oppose the airborne assault on Osama bin Laden's compound in Pakistan?
I was neither consulted nor informed beforehand. Had I been, I would have gladly volunteered, not that the Navy could have used any of my skills in that instance.

What about you? Do you plan to volunteer to serve if Trump gets us into war with Venezuela or Iran?

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 05-14-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Sure it's reasonable. If you (the general "you") think young people should be put at risk of death for some purpose, but not yourself, when you're perfectly able to do so, then you're being cowardly.
I have to agree with iiandyiiii on this one.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
I have to agree with iiandyiiii on this one.
So old people would be exempt from this "cowardice" criticism, right? Because they don't meet the "when you're perfectly able to do so" criteria?
Old 05-14-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
Which is exactly why it might happen. Here's a 2011 tweet from Donald Trump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Trump
In order to get elected, @BarackObama will start a war with Iran.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:49 PM

LOL. That's a lot of effort to go to to avoid answering a question about whether one would volunteer to serve in a potential upcoming war they support.

Though I suspect a refusal to answer is kind of an answer in itself.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 05-14-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:07 PM

According to Rubio, Republican, Iran doesn't just have some input- it's all on them!

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/14/marc...l-on-them.html
Old 05-14-2019, 08:15 PM

So I guess it's the fault of these fantasy SJW creatures that you didn't answer my question about whether you plan to volunteer for military service if the Trump administration has us go to war with Iran or Venezuela?

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 05-14-2019 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
So I guess it's the fault of these fantasy SJW creatures that you didn't answer my question about whether you plan to volunteer for military service if the Trump administration has us go to war with Iran or Venezuela?
I didn't answer your question because I didn't think it was relevant. You are the one that has adopted a moral code of "I will not support or advocate for any military action that puts young Americans at risk unless I plan to return to service and join them." That's not something you and I share.

But, since you're apparently interested: I feel no compunction about supporting military actions that I will not be fighting in. The Trump administration could have us go to war with either or both of them and I would still have no intention of volunteering for military service.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
HurricaneDitka would only go to war if libruls were coming for his gunz.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:59 PM
Mod Rocker

Moderating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisquirrel View Post
HurricaneDitka would only go to war if libruls were coming for his gunz.
Stick to the actual topic and leave personal shots to The BBQ Pit.

[ /Moderating ]
Old 05-15-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
If you're going to be bombing bases and military targets, you might as well bomb their known nuclear facilities too, and set their program back a bit, right?

And that right there highlights exactly how fucking stupid US policy under Trump has become.

If you wanted to "set their program back a bit", you should have stayed in the Iran nuclear deal that was actually working to keep their program in check. Every single observer except That Idiot Donald Trump and his enablers said that the program was working. You threw that all away over a bullshit talking point you used to score points against the Democrats.

Nice job breaking it, hero.

When Iran re-starts their nuclear program, perhaps with a bit of help from North Korea, they'll be completely justified, and you'll have only yourselves to blame for it.