Old 09-28-2019, 07:20 AM

"None of us chose to be white. Not even Ed Sheeran."

Bill Maher FTW!

https://youtu.be/T0q2ZR4nBuE
Old 09-28-2019, 07:48 AM

Not gonna watch a video with no explanation. Stopped watching Bill Maher last year as he became whinier and whinier. He's become the ultimate snowflake, constantly complaining about criticism.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Not gonna watch a video with no explanation. Stopped watching Bill Maher last year as he became whinier and whinier. He's become the ultimate snowflake, constantly complaining about criticism.
Maybe, but one must admit that he's highly skilled at telling SlackerInc what he wants to hear. With that, and his strenuous denunciation of life-saving vaccinesó what's not to like?
Old 09-28-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Maybe, but one must admit that he's highly skilled at telling SlackerInc what he wants to hear. With that, and his strenuous denunciation of life-saving vaccinesó what's not to like?
Unfortunately for Slacker, Maher probably stops short before "black people are inherently genetically inferior in intelligence, on average". For all his faults, I've never heard Maher actually say something white supremacist. Dumb usages of racial slurs, sure... but he's never waxed on about the inferiority of black people.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I usually only watch his "New Rule" segments on YT ('cos that's about the upper limit of smugness I can endure) but I don't see him as coming off as whiny. Most of his bitching (apart from Trump/the GOP) is about Democrats/liberals' "purity tests." e.g. "I don't care if you support 98% of the things I do, I'll sit by and throw you under the bus and wait for someone who's 100% with me. But I'll still bitch about Trump winning."

Oh, and constantly demanding groveling apologies for everything, no matter now small or insignificant the transgression.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Bill Maher is hilarious; and like all comedians he does exaggerate. Maher is a friend to liberals ó look at the guests he selects.

Rosanna Arquette is an admirable woman, but Maher calls attention to this tweet:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosanna Arquette at Twitter
Iím sorry I was born white and privileged. It disgusts me & I feel so much shame, I will never stand for my flag again.
@ iiandyiiii - Do you endorse Ms. Arquette's sentiments here?

The election will not be won with only the liberal vote. You refuse to watch Maher now, but I hope you bookmark the video. A year and a half from now, when Moscow Mitch and the GOP are still firmly in control, click on the video and learn one of the reasons why.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Bill Maher is hilarious; and like all comedians he does exaggerate. Maher is a friend to liberals — look at the guests he selects.

Rosanna Arquette is an admirable woman, but Maher calls attention to this tweet:

@ iiandyiiii - Do you endorse Ms. Arquette's sentiments here?

The election will not be won with only the liberal vote. You refuse to watch Maher now, but I hope you bookmark the video. A year and a half from now, when Moscow Mitch and the GOP are still firmly in control, click on the video and learn one of the reasons why.
Maher found a single dumb liberal sentiment. So what? Almost no one feels that way. Random entitled celebrity says something dumb doesn't mean anything.

Maher (and conservative enablers like Tucker Carlson) promote this shit. No one would be talking about occasional idiocy from random celebrities if it weren't for Tucker Carlson, Bill Maher, and a handful of others.

That Maher's generally liberal doesn't excuse this silliness. I think he's a funny comedian, but his pathetic whining has grown so much in the last few years that I no longer find him entertaining.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 09-28-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Maher found a single dumb liberal sentiment. So what? Almost no one feels that way. Random entitled celebrity says something dumb doesn't mean anything.

The poll finding he highlighted shows that itís not just anecdotal of some very small number of people. Itís a widespread attitude among white liberals. Which, as septimus rightly warns, is a huge turnoff to slightly more moderate whites who could otherwise easily join the Democratic coalition with no problem at all. In fact, many of them did in 2008 and 2012, but began to increasingly wonder if they were welcome in the party if they werenít keen to wear a hairshirt and act all submissive.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
The poll finding he highlighted shows that it’s not just anecdotal of some very small number of people. It’s a widespread attitude among white liberals. Which, as septimus rightly warns, is a huge turnoff to slightly more moderate whites who could otherwise easily join the Democratic coalition with no problem at all. In fact, many of them did in 2008 and 2012, but began to increasingly wonder if they were welcome in the party if they weren’t keen to wear a hairshirt and act all submissive.
Bullshit. Preferring diversity is a "widespread attitude" among white liberals, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Carry on assisting Bill Maher and Tucker Carlson in spreading false generalities about liberals if you want, but I'm not going to assist you in helping the Republican party. I'm going to point out how dumb it is, and how much those who spread this kind of bullshit are helping Trump and the Republicans. Stop helping Trump and the Republicans.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 09-28-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:23 AM
Experimental FOC Test Pilot

Quote:
The poll finding he highlighted shows that it’s not just anecdotal of some very small number of people. It’s a widespread attitude among white liberals. Which, as septimus rightly warns, is a huge turnoff to slightly more moderate whites who could otherwise easily join the Democratic coalition with no problem at all. In fact, many of them did in 2008 and 2012, but began to increasingly wonder if they were welcome in the party if they weren’t keen to wear a hairshirt and act all submissive.
You got a lot of white liberals right here and I haven't seen anyone agree with that sentiment. Like most stupid things ascribed to liberals, the only ones who believe it are conservative idiots.

I'm sorry, I left you out. General run of the mill idiots believe things like this also.

Last edited by steatopygia; 09-28-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Maher found a single dumb liberal sentiment. So what?
Uh, he's found plenty. that just happened to be one which was germane to the segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaC1-U8LIY0

[quote=Bill Maher]At the Golden Globes this month, Michael Keaton mixed up the titles of two movies that had a black cast; Hidden Figures and Fences and said "Hidden Fences." Because he's a Klansman (eyeroll.) Cue the outrage, cue the retraction. "I screwed up... It makes me feel so badly that people feel badly. If somebody feels badly, that's all that matters."

No! That's not all that matters! What matters is that while you self-involved fools were policing the language at the Kid's Choice Awards, a madman talked his way into the White House.

Quote:
Almost no one feels that way. Random entitled celebrity says something dumb doesn't mean anything.
bullshit. any time someone gets a bit of fame, Twitter warriors are primed and ready to dig through their past to find anything they can hit them with:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ed/2255806002/

https://nypost.com/2019/09/25/1-mill...racist-tweets/

Oh my god, the humanity! A teenage boy said something stupid and offensive years ago, so let's take everything away from him and destroy his life if he doesn't grovel before us to our satisfaction. news flash: teenage guys do and say some of the stupidest shit. I did, you did (yes you did, don't try to claim otherwise.) Doesn't mean I think those things now, or even did back then.

all so a bunch of self-important nobodies on the internet can feel important for having "won."

Quote:
That Maher's generally liberal doesn't excuse this silliness. I think he's a funny comedian, but his pathetic whining has grown so much in the last few years that I no longer find him entertaining.
it's not just celebrities. it's also a cadre of younger people (notionally liberal) who think they're doing something good for the world by sitting on their social media accounts screaming at people to apologize for every possible thing they may have done wrong in their fucking lives.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
it's not just celebrities. it's also a cadre of younger people (notionally liberal) who think they're doing something good for the world by sitting on their social media accounts screaming at people to apologize for every possible thing they may have done wrong in their fucking lives.
If they weren't actually accomplishing something, no one would get mad at them.

What they are doing is leveraging the power of speech to provide consequences for racism and bigotry. Rather than let it run unchecked, they use their speech to shine a spotlight on it. They don't make excuses for it, even if the person is on their side.

And note I said "bigotry," not "every possible thing they may have done wrong in their fucking lives." That's minimizing language. Fortunately, the guy involved isn't making those excuses. He's taking personal responsibility, realizing he made a mistake, and owning up to it, while showing he's moved on from it.

Are there some circumstances where the Internet and social media's megaphone for speech is used incorrectly? Sure--usually when someone doesn't have the facts. Do some people cross a line into doing more than speech? Sure, and they deserve to be condemned.

But all these people are doing is sharing their opinion that the guy should give an apology for what he said. How is that supposed to be some horrible thing?

It isn't--the people who want to get away with things just claim it is in an attempt to fight back. You're using the same speech--but your speech is finding it harder to find an agreeable audience. Your speech is losing in the marketplace of ideas.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:34 AM

I'm not any sort of hard-core Maher fan; the ONLY times I've ever watched him has been when YouTube recommended one of his clips to me. But, in response to this thread, I clicked on the complete show from which Slacker's excerpt came.

I found the entire show very intelligent. Salman Rushdie discusses his latest book ("Quichotte sets off on a picaresque quest across America ... gallantly braving the tragicomic perils of an age where 'Anything-Can-Happen'" ó I'm ordering the book). In the panel discussion, Noah Rothman echoes my concern that the impeachment proceedings will ultimately benefit Trump. Linette Lopez sees Warren as a big winner of recent developments. Barney Frank agrees with Rothman that impeachment will only hurt the Democrats; he opposed it before but now finds it a "moral imperative" despite political costs. Gina McCarthy, the former head of the EPA, appeared and there was interesting discussion of climate change. Rothman pushed back ó this panel is more than just an echo chamber ó and discussion got quite vehement.

(Rothman was attacked until he resorted to gibberish ó "I don't deny we have dynamic climate because the climate is dynamic.")

I may start watching Maher regularly! The discussion was more intelligent and balanced than anything I've seen elsewhere, especially at SDMB. Skip the last 6 minutes of the 55 minute show if you don't find Maher hilarious, but watch the 8-minute "Overtime" segment.

Quote:
Is Arquette's the only statement of this type? I vaguely recall similar statements, especially if we broaden the net to include all liberals influential on social media, not just "celebrities."
Old 09-28-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Absolutely. The cherry picking of well intentioned, but dumb, comments by certain liberals, ascribing it to anyone who doesn't follow the Republican line, and using it to create fear and animosity in certain, mostly white, voters has long been a successful tactic of the right.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:15 AM

Sure, it's complete and utter bullshit, but it works for certain people.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, this doesn't seem like an inherently bad topic but considering its location, lack of content, and the OP, I don't hold out high hopes.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:18 AM

It makes perfect sense that you are leery of watching this, Andy, because he is calling out people just like you :

Quote:
Black folks are not asking white folks to constantly be flagellating themselves. Because it makes everything awkward. It puts the burden on black people to absolve you...
“Forgive me. Absolve me. Recognize that I am one of the good white people.” Jesus, haven’t black people suffered enough? “Slavery, Jim Crow, and now I’ve got to make some yuppie feel better about himself?”

Last edited by SlackerInc; 09-28-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
It makes perfect sense that you are leery of watching this, Andy, because he is calling out people just like you :
You mean the fantasy straw-man version of me that doesn't really exist? Based on this quote, anyway.

Bill is whining about straw men, at least in that quote. As usual. And the idea of Maher speaking for black people is about as ludicrous as it gets.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 09-28-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
How hard would it have been to just put the quote in the OP?
Old 09-28-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
How hard would it have been to just put the quote in the OP?

Given that it took several minutes of switching back and forth between YouTube, Notes, and Safari on my iPhone to transcribe it, somewhat hard. I put a funny quote from the segment in the title of the thread, and pulled that other one out in response to Andy, since he was stubbornly refusing to watch and needs to hear that message more than anyone here. But yeah, it took me longer to quote that than it would take for someone to just watch the video.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 09-28-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:49 AM

I’m not a white supremacist. Would it make me a black supremacist to point out that the people who can run the fastest and jump the highest are black? And if we are talking about just IQ and leaving out other abilities for some reason, white people can’t hold a candle to East Asians.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Iím not a white supremacist. Would it make me a black supremacist to point out that the people who can run the fastest and jump the highest are black? And if we are talking about just IQ and leaving out other abilities for some reason, white people canít hold a candle to East Asians.
Then stop saying white supremacist things. I'm going to call you a white supremacist until you renounce white supremacist (and pseudoscientific, which shouldn't need to be said) ideas about black people.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:10 AM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Iím not a white supremacist. Would it make me a black supremacist to point out that the people who can run the fastest and jump the highest are black? And if we are talking about just IQ and leaving out other abilities for some reason, white people canít hold a candle to East Asians.
Okay, okay, youíre just a garden variety racist dipshit.

Happy now?
Old 09-28-2019, 08:59 AM

Andy, you’re just trying to distract from the fact that Bill Maher has you and people like you completely pegged. He was responding to a poll finding that white liberals were the only group that preferred other races/ethnicities to their own. That’s really cringey and awkward. Why couldn’t they just stop at having no preference?

Last edited by SlackerInc; 09-28-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Andy, youíre just trying to distract from the fact that Bill Maher has you and people like you completely pegged. He was responding to a poll finding that white liberals were the only group that preferred other races/ethnicities to their own. Thatís really cringey and awkward. Why couldnít they just stop at having no preference?
Your mind reading fails you once again. No, Bill doesn't have me pegged. He argues against straw men when he whines about liberals and criticism. Saying over and over again "this is you!!!" isn't actually convincing me at all. Why should it? You haven't actually made an argument, you're just saying the same dumb thing over and over again, and it's not convincing with repetition.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
[...] a poll finding that white liberals were the only group that preferred other races/ethnicities to their own. Thatís really cringey and awkward.
Not seeing what you think is so "cringey" or "awkward" about it. A race/ethnicity isn't like, say, a high school sports team where you're under a social obligation to prefer your own team to all others.

If somebody instead thinks of their race/ethnicity as more like, say, a type of cuisine that doesn't happen to be their personal favorite---as in, "I like our own culinary traditions okay but I'd rather have more Japanese restaurants around"---I don't see why you should "cringe" about their preference.

And especially if they feel that there are currently a lot of shitty cooks in their own culinary tradition making the food taste terrible, then their preference for a different culinary tradition is not at all unreasonable.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
And especially if they feel that there are currently a lot of shitty cooks in their own culinary tradition making the food taste terrible, then their preference for a different culinary tradition is not at all unreasonable.
"Guy Fieri turned me into a liberal race-traitor!"
Old 09-30-2019, 01:40 AM

Maher seemed funny when I last watched him before the Y2K bug but I've mostly avoided TV since then. From what I read, woo-woos will say he is wrong, that deep-down he chose his ethnicity from the ova and sperm available. Yes, the Force was with him. But the Force seems bent on fucking-over arbitrary groups.

AFAIK I did not choose to be a Cherokee-Venusian hybrid but we're the best anyway. That's a joke. What's NOT a joke is the prospect of biomedical advances letting a human revise their own gender, ethnicity, form, and even species, with body and brain rebuilds. Rich folks get that first. Will the poor (all sorts) get leftovers?
Old 10-01-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Andy, youíre just trying to distract from the fact that Bill Maher has you and people like you completely pegged. He was responding to a poll finding that white liberals were the only group that preferred other races/ethnicities to their own.
"Xenophiles like people different than them" is not news. Nor is it insulting.

I suppose that you will next accuse straight people of lacking self respect because they prefer people of other genders than their own. If you wanted to be consistent, that is.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
"Xenophiles like people different than them" is not news. Nor is it insulting.

I suppose that you will next accuse straight people of lacking self respect because they prefer people of other genders than their own. If you wanted to be consistent, that is.
Thatís a helluva good point.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Andy, youíre just trying to distract from the fact that Bill Maher has you and people like you completely pegged. He was responding to a poll finding that white liberals were the only group that preferred other races/ethnicities to their own. Thatís really cringey and awkward. Why couldnít they just stop at having no preference?
I'd be interested to see this poll. Do you have a link to it? Because I'd like to see how the questions were framed.

As a general observation about this issue, though, there are a few points worth making. And I make these points as a lefty/liberal who has mostly lefty/liberals as friends.

I, and just about everyone I know, like a diverse society. I don't "prefer" the people of other races and ethnicities to my own, either as groups or as individuals, but I do prefer living in a society where there is a good mix of races and ethnicities, and where I don't just see white Euro-Americans everywhere I look. This sort of diversity makes the world more interesting in a whole variety of ways. I would note, too, that I came to this position not as a result of any particular political leaning, or to make any particular point; I came to this position out of personal experience.

I grew up in suburban Sydney, Australia. As a kid, basically all of my friends and acquaintances were white Euro-Australians, and my schools were as lily-white as you could possibly imagine. Our idea of exotic cuisine was the local Chinese restaurant. And because of that, I also grew up with the sort of low-level parochialism and xenophobia and racism that was common in Australia at the time, and still is in some places.

My white schoolmates and I often complained about the immigrant communities in our part of the city. We made fun of the Vietnamese and Chinese and Lebanese and Greeks, mocking them for their appearance and their skin color and their poor English and their funny accents and strange food. We complained when we heard people speaking other languages on the train, and periodically lamented the effect that these "slope heads" and "wogs" were having on Australia. Not only that, but because I went to a boarding school and quite a lot of my classmates came from rural Australia, we also had little time for the country's native population, buying into racist stereotypes about Australian aborigines as lazy and drunk and on welfare.

Most of this casual racism was just expressed among ourselves. We didn't go out of our way to find people of color and abuse them, we didn't commit acts of violence, and we didn't parade our bigotry to the world. We even understood, at some level, that our bigotry was wrong. I certainly made a point not to express it in front of my mother, who explicitly rejected racism and intolerance. But my mates and I were pretty comfortable with our sense of superiority, we were pretty happy with the idea of Australia as a place for white people of European ancestry, and we were happy enough to express our beliefs that the increasing number and variety of immigrants was detrimental to the country. Racist jokes were common at our school, and even our (almost all white) teachers had no trouble expressing similar sentiments in front of us. I remember, the year I left high school, one teacher openly lamenting that new admissions policies for our (selective) high school would likely bring in more Asian and Middle Eastern students in future years.

I took these sorts of beliefs with me out into the world, and it wasn't really until I started living among a more diverse group of people, in Sydney and, especially, on my overseas travels, that I changed my tune. Once I got experience of a wider variety of people, my old bigotry evaporated relatively quickly, and I soon came to see how ignorant I'd been. By my early 20s, I'd left most of it behind. If there had been social media around when I was a kid, I have no doubt that trawling through my old posts would reveal a whole host of incredibly offensive material. Luckily, in my day, none of this made it into a permanent or semi-permanent medium.

I don't flagellate myself about my youthful bigotry, or spend inordinate amounts of time feeling guilty about it, but I'm not going to hide from it either. It's part of who I was, and I'm willing to own up to it, even while acknowledging that it was wrong and being happy that I don't think like that anymore. I don't feel embarrassed or somehow inferior because I'm white, but I also acknowledge that being white gives me advantages that others don't have.

Back to the topic of your comment, there is one area where i will acknowledge that I might, under certain circumstances, prefer people of other races and ethnicities to white people, as a general principle. Just about every exit poll and political analysis shows that, here in the United States, a majority of white voters in 2016 voted for Donald Trump. For white men, it was a clear majority at about 62% (compared to 32% for Clinton), and for white women it was a plurality, at 47% (45% for Clinton). By contrast, groups like blacks and Latinos voted for Clinton by a comfortable majority. Given those statistics, if someone asked me to pick a random person to sit next to on a long plane or train journey, basic math would make me more likely to choose a person of color. Sorry if that offends you.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:11 AM

Ecstatic.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:14 AM

Bill Maher doesn't speak for me (or any PoC I know).

White liberals, you go right on ahead and ally up! You have my permission.

Quote:
white liberals were the only group that preferred other races/ethnicities to their own. That’s really cringey and awkward. Why couldn’t they just stop at having no preference?
Maybe despite being white, they realise that white people are just not all that great? I mean, you're the one crowing about how god-damn average y'all are.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:36 AM

So...you are in fact asking white people to “constantly be flagellating themselves”, and granting absolution to the ones who do?
Old 09-28-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
So...you are in fact asking white people to ďconstantly be flagellating themselvesĒ, and granting absolution to the ones who do?
I'm not asking them to play with straw, no.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:07 AM

So it’s just completely random that I see you as the self-appointed liberal white knight of the board? No one else could possibly perceive you that way?
Old 09-28-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
So itís just completely random that I see you as the self-appointed liberal white knight of the board? No one else could possibly perceive you that way?
Huh? Is this alt-right buzzword bingo?

I'll be here if you want to make an actual argument and back up the things you're saying about me.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
So itís just completely random that I see you as the self-appointed liberal white knight of the board? No one else could possibly perceive you that way?
Can you make a poll in the Pit?
Old 09-28-2019, 10:22 AM

Ridiculous smear to put Bill Maher and Tucker Carlson together. Which one gave Barack Obama‘s campaign $1 million and beat Donald Trump in court?
Old 09-28-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Ridiculous smear to put Bill Maher and Tucker Carlson together. Which one gave Barack ObamaĎs campaign $1 million and beat Donald Trump in court?
Bill Maher can be an idiot sometime. Good for him for helping Obama and mocking Trump. Bad for him for (inadvertently) buying into Tucker Carlson's idiocy and spreading false bullshit about liberals.

People are complicated. Just like you. I mock you for your idiocy, while praising you for your good opinions. Same goes for Maher. He's good on some things and a total idiot on other things.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Bill Maher can be an idiot sometime. Good for him for helping Obama and mocking Trump. Bad for him for (inadvertently) buying into Tucker Carlson's idiocy and spreading false bullshit about liberals.
I think that Maher has one of the biggest spreads of any public commentator between his really smart and funny stuff and his really dumb shit. When he comes out with one of his idiotic observations or arguments, it's sometimes difficult to believe that it's the same guy who said that really perceptive and funny thing just a few days ago.

Luckily, if one wants consistency, the OP of this thread provides it in spades, just not in a good way.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:27 AM

Slacker, you've continually shown the ability to discern nuance of a toddler. It's okay for liberals to criticize other liberals. Even Maher. Even Obama! No one is perfect. Criticizing dumb things that Maher says is fine. Criticizing the failures and mistakes of Obama is fine (and doesn't take away from the great things he did). Criticizing the idiocy that you spread is fine. That Maher is a whiny snowflake about criticism doesn't take anything away from the criticism.
Old 09-28-2019, 10:58 AM

Amazing what excuses people come up to vote for Trump. Just vote for him if you want to, don't blame others for your actions.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
Amazing what excuses people come up to vote for Trump. Just vote for him if you want to, don't blame others for your actions.

Who are you talking to? I am the last one who would ever vote for Trump.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:03 AM

Uh huh, sure you are.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
Uh, he's found plenty. that just happened to be one which was germane to the segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaC1-U8LIY0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
At the Golden Globes this month, Michael Keaton mixed up the titles of two movies that had a black cast; Hidden Figures and Fences and said "Hidden Fences." Because he's a Klansman (eyeroll.) Cue the outrage, cue the retraction. "I screwed up... It makes me feel so badly that people feel badly. If somebody feels badly, that's all that matters."

No! That's not all that matters! What matters is that while you self-involved fools were policing the language at the Kid's Choice Awards, a madman talked his way into the White House.

bullshit. any time someone gets a bit of fame, Twitter warriors are primed and ready to dig through their past to find anything they can hit them with:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ed/2255806002/

https://nypost.com/2019/09/25/1-mill...racist-tweets/

Oh my god, the humanity! A teenage boy said something stupid and offensive years ago, so let's take everything away from him and destroy his life if he doesn't grovel before us to our satisfaction. news flash: teenage guys do and say some of the stupidest shit. I did, you did (yes you did, don't try to claim otherwise.) Doesn't mean I think those things now, or even did back then.

all so a bunch of self-important nobodies on the internet can feel important for having "won."

God what a joke. "oh no, poor Michael Keaton made a mistake, then people criticized him, then he apologized. What a nightmare!" "oh no, Murray said dumb things as a teenager, then was criticized, then apologized!" Could this be any more pathetic?

It's okay. Try not to be so pathetically fragile. Criticism isn't going to hurt you. Apologizing for a mistake isn't the end of the world. Keaton is doing fine. So is Murray. They made mistakes and then apologized for it. We've moved on. They've moved on. Why hasn't Maher? Why haven't you?

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 09-28-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
God what a joke. "oh no, poor Michael Keaton made a mistake, then people criticized him, then he apologized. What a nightmare!" "oh no, Murray said dumb things as a teenager, then was criticized, then apologized!" Could this be any more pathetic?
what's pathetic are the people who demanded they apologize in the first place.

Quote:
It's okay. Try not to be so pathetically fragile.
oh, physician heal thyself. Apparently demanding an apology for mixing up two movie titles isn't "pathetically fragile."

Quote:
Criticism isn't going to hurt you. Apologizing for a mistake isn't the end of the world. Keaton is doing fine. So is Murray. They made mistakes and then apologized for it. We've moved on. They've moved on. Why hasn't Maher? Why haven't you?
Because the Twitter warriors and tone police haven't moved on. They're licking their chops for the next person they can shred and parade before the world.

and who, exactly, am I supposed to apologize to and for what? Who are you to expect me to? god, you're making my point for me so thoroughly I almost think I'm being whooshed.

Last edited by jz78817; 09-28-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:05 AM

Chingon, have you even read my posts in Elections? I challenge you to find a single kind word I have ever said about that spastic simpleton.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 09-28-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:07 AM

Your avatar is super convincing too.
Old 09-28-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii
Youíre being dishonest. You deliberately didnít comment on the third link Slacker presented. In that story, a guy who raised a million dollars for charity lost a contract with Busch because a reporter dug up some racist tweets he made eight years ago, when he was sixteen.

Itís okay. We all screw up from time to time. Just apologise for it and weíll move on.