Old 03-07-2012, 09:54 AM

Is it just me or did they make Ash look a LOT like Miranda from ME2?

I also find that the animations do not look as smooth as ME2. Watching the cutscenes, they look like they were produced by Gerry Anderson.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
I assume at some point I can walk around the ship, look at my fish tank and change my appearance? I'm still very early in the game where every step is scripted and all I want to do is walk around the Normandy a little bit.
Yeah, you get essentially two "stops" before you get to go check the Normandy out, talk to the crew, etc.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death of Rats View Post
Is it just me or did they make Ash look a LOT like Miranda from ME2?
I think they really messed up on Ashley in ME3. Not *awful* as such but like Ash in the intervening time had a little plastic surgery done. Some collagen injections, a boob job and so on. Nothing big, just enough though to take her from a nice, natural beauty to some idealized, 16 year-old male exaggerated ideal of beauty.

IMHO of course.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:25 PM

Don't know why, but I ended up playing more multiplayer today than single player. Got my Quarian Infiltrator up to level 18 and all the "Galactic Readiness" stuff up to 100%. I wonder if that decays over time?
Old 03-07-2012, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Well, I feel like I've been misled now that I realize the robotic dog I got with my Collector's Edition is not actually a companion I can take with me on missions, but I guess I just wasn't reading closely enough.

On Shepherd's appearance -- as I said I was getting different looks in the face modeler and in the Squad screen than in the game itself. Well, since I have exited the game and returned, the face in the Squad screen now matches the face in the game itself. Some unknown screwiness has ensued.

I am excited to run around talking to everyone. You only get this chance once where getting up-to-date on everyone is exciting and not a chore to be taken care of before moving on. The whole Battle Readiness business looks exciting and puts some crunch behind the epic feel. I also like the darker tone in general, although if I have to do a lot of missions-by-flashlight, I think that may get old in a hurry.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbar of Irony +3 View Post
I have been playing co-op, to boost the War Readiness rating for my game. It is starting to grow on me, actually, but I still think tying multi-player to War Readiness is a rather arm-twisting method to get people to play it.
Wait, what?
You can't beat single player without playing multi? Is this for fucking real?
Old 03-07-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnAgain View Post
Wait, what?
From what I understand, playing all the multiplayer material makes it easier to get the better endings for the single player game, but it's still possible to get them by playing single player only.

EDIT:
Cite from a Bioware representative on the company's forums:
Quote:
What if I donít like multiplayer Ė will my experience be negatively impacted?

Mass Effect 3 is a complete, standalone game that will deliver a satisfying story experience, even if you choose not to try multiplayer. The Mass Effect 3: Galaxy at War system and all of the individual components are meant to complement that amazing game and can be enjoyed on their own or as part of the Galaxy at War experience.

Last edited by Lord Il Palazzo; 03-07-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:11 PM

(No story spoilers at all, but I'll put it in a spoiler box just in case)

The relationship between single and multiplayer works like this:

SPOILER:
Progress of the war is represented by a few variables. There's your Total Military Strength which is the sum of all the War Assets you've unlocked through quests, etc. This is multiplied by your Readiness Rating to get your Effective Military Strength. Presumably, the ending of the game will be affected by how high your Effective Military Strength is.

Readiness Rating starts at 50% and AFAIK the only way to raise it (within ME3) is by playing the multiplayer. However, there are an absolute ton of War Assets out there that you can get. I'm less than 20 hours in and have already had my Effective Military Strength bar maxed for quite a while (with a bit of multiplayer under my belt, granted.) Bioware stated that multiplayer was not necessary, so my guess is that there are enough Assets out there that you can max your Effective Military Strength even with a Readiness of 50%.

Last edited by cckerberos; 03-07-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cckerberos View Post
Don't know why, but I ended up playing more multiplayer today than single player. Got my Quarian Infiltrator up to level 18 and all the "Galactic Readiness" stuff up to 100%. I wonder if that decays over time?
I think it does; it drops 2% to 3% from yesterday. However doing one map can restore 3% to 4%, so it's not a big loss. It could be random too, and if I am not wrong, entirely server-side.

Quote:
Wait, what?
You can beat it without having to play multi-player just that if you don't you need to finish lots more war assets (your final war assets is modified by the readiness factor, so I guess for end-game, as long as you have enough numbers, it add up).

I guess the plus points is that you can let entire worlds go to hell and still have enough war assets to push through, if you plays lots of multi-player.

Ok some questions:

SPOILER:
I tend to save worlds (Hannar, Rachni Queen etc.) over saving individuals. I think both add to your war assets, but will there by any change in the storyline. So far I have let the Spectre agent died to save the Hannar, and Grunt's company died to save the queen; do I need those individuals' help again, or were it be abstracted as just a number?
Old 03-07-2012, 04:14 PM

Okay, rage quotient has been reduced. Thanks folks.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:39 PM

I sure hope that playing tons of multiplayer means I can triumph without
SPOILER:
releasing that insane (and insufferable) Asari, or assassinating the Turian General
because I try to role play consistently and that's just not cool for my Shepard.

This is speculation, but anyone else think the catalyst required for the Prothean device will be
SPOILER:
Shepard?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:32 PM

There are paragon alternatives to getting the merc to work with you that does not involve bloodshed or releasing a psychopath.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:33 PM

Son of a cunting bitchfaced monkeylicking assheaded... all the saves that I thought I had on my flash drive, transferred over from my old 360, are nowhere to be found. All my goddamn data, lost.

Is there any way to download someone else's playthrough for 360 and use it, and is there a well organized site somewhere where you can search for romance choices, side quests, etc...?
Goddamnit!
Old 03-08-2012, 12:26 AM

http://www.masseffectsaves.com/xbox.php
Old 03-08-2012, 12:52 AM

Thanks!
The organization system for their saved games is ugly though. Just looks like they're in random orders with partial descriptions for many.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:37 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks!
The organization system for their saved games is ugly though. Just looks like they're in random orders with partial descriptions for many.
Aye, just had to sort through them to grab a clone of my 100% goody two-shoes German Shepard and it took me a while. Someone should put them out of their misery and make a check-box based system. Though I should speak quietly - I am very grateful for their site and all the effort behind it.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbar of Irony +3 View Post
I think it does; it drops 2% to 3% from yesterday. However doing one map can restore 3% to 4%, so it's not a big loss. It could be random too, and if I am not wrong, entirely server-side.
It definitely does, fairly rapidly. I've had it drop by 3% twice in the last 18 hours or so.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unauthorized Cinnamon View Post
I sure hope that playing tons of multiplayer means I can triumph without
SPOILER:
releasing that insane (and insufferable) Asari, or assassinating the Turian General
because I try to role play consistently and that's just not cool for my Shepard.
I'd recommend just slowly proceeding on those quests to see how they go.
SPOILER:
Because as long as you're cool with accepting Aria's deal, you do have other options on those.
SPOILER:
Specifically, talk to insane Asari and you'll see another option besides releasing her, and talk to the general to find out how you can deal with the situation.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gukumatz View Post
Aye, just had to sort through them to grab a clone of my 100% goody two-shoes German Shepard and it took me a while. Someone should put them out of their misery and make a check-box based system. Though I should speak quietly - I am very grateful for their site and all the effort behind it.
Yeah, checkboxes would be awesome.
But... blargh. While it's a good site, damnit, I spent time crafting the exact Shepherd I wanted. They have ones which are close, but not perfect. I'm just going to get my ME1 and 2 discs and replay them on easy to burn through a couple Paragon playthroughs real quick. I'll do Renegade some time later.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Yeah, checkboxes would be awesome.
But... blargh. While it's a good site, damnit, I spent time crafting the exact Shepherd I wanted. They have ones which are close, but not perfect. I'm just going to get my ME1 and 2 discs and replay them on easy to burn through a couple Paragon playthroughs real quick. I'll do Renegade some time later.
My Shepard face didn't import because it originally came from ME1 so I decided to recreate it and I have determined that it is impossible for me to create a Shepard face that doesn't look like she has some Chimpanzee DNA in her ancestry. But dammit, my Monkey Shepard is going to save this Galaxy by gum!
Old 03-08-2012, 10:56 AM

It's not so much the face, as all the choices. And (damnit!) I do not want anything spoilered for me at all, so I don't want to know which choices are important and which aren't. Helped the Hanar preacher in ME1? Maybe he leads an elite squad of ninja priests into Reaper territory. That crime lord gal who becomes a social worker if you set her straight? Maybe she unleashes her suicidal patients on the Reapers into a great wave of emo. I dunno, and I don't want to know until I play through, but damnit I want all my choices!

(grumble, grumble, feh)
Old 03-08-2012, 11:37 AM

Ending spoilers:
SPOILER:
Everything EA touches turns to shit. These clowns created three endings for a character-based trilogy (read: one ending with three different filters), all of which are horrible, unsatisfying nBSG endings.

Serious ending spoilers:
SPOILER:
The mass relays are destroyed, your crew are stranded on some unknown planet and Shepard either dies or is stuck on a disintegrating space station.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret Herder View Post
I'd recommend just slowly proceeding on those quests to see how they go.
SPOILER:
Because as long as you're cool with accepting Aria's deal, you do have other options on those.
SPOILER:
Specifically, talk to insane Asari and you'll see another option besides releasing her, and talk to the general to find out how you can deal with the situation.
Thanks! I did just shelve the Asari prisoner issue, and stumbled into an alternative solution, so that was nice. It also looks like if I fetch the right kind of toothpicks I can fix the other issue too.

Quimby, your discussion of your monkey Shepard made me laugh like an idiot at the gym, so people were looking at me weird. I decided if I tried to explain why I was laughing, they would have looked at me weirder. (I do think the female faces tend to have a prominent maxilla. I think they were going for pouty Angelina Jolie and overshot into Planet of the Apes territory.)
Old 03-08-2012, 02:06 PM

*sticks fingers in ears, shuts eyes, says LA LA LA LA*

Remember folks the game ain't out in Europe yet, spoiler tags are appreciated! I'm still pissed off that I accidentally ruined ME2's twist that the
SPOILER:
Collectors were Protheans
, and I've already heard that in ME3
SPOILER:
Emily Wong
dies! Not quite on the same scale but I was pretty upset. Why couldn't it have been
SPOILER:
Khalisa? After Shep has one last interview and slugging match for old times sake.

Not looking at anything, just reporting on the facecode thing. Got the demo yesterday (I'm late to the party I know); put in the facecode I got from following the BioWare forums resulted in a pretty perfect reconstruction of my Shep I've had since ME1, although I've heard results can vary. So, when I pick up my copy tomorrow and import my save, if it cocks up I've got a recourse.

Also; it's a lot harder than I thought it would be. What the hell has happened to Shockwave?! Gone from an unstoppable freight train of biotic power to having all the force of a chihuahua taking a piss. Warp's still as useful as ever though, as is Singularity. Floating ducks!
Old 03-08-2012, 02:19 PM

How does the gameplay compare to the first two games? ME1 felt more like a traditional RPG with real time-fights, whereas ME2 felt like a FPS with talking. I liked the plethora of options in ME1, even though the inventory system was kind of a mess. Plus, the regeneration/cover system in ME2 seemed too "gamey" for me. Is the third installment an continuation of the trend, a return to the original, or a whole different thing?
Old 03-08-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious_Marmot View Post
How does the gameplay compare to the first two games? ME1 felt more like a traditional RPG with real time-fights, whereas ME2 felt like a FPS with talking. I liked the plethora of options in ME1, even though the inventory system was kind of a mess. Plus, the regeneration/cover system in ME2 seemed too "gamey" for me. Is the third installment an continuation of the trend, a return to the original, or a whole different thing?
In ME 2 you essentially have 6 life...er...sections; your shields and 5 units of health. Your shields regenerate no matter what, your health only regenerates if you've something left in that section, you can only regain your health sections with Unity's equivalent. See a Let's Play of the demo to see how it functions.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious_Marmot View Post
It's more of Mass Effect 2. improved, though there is a difficulty called "Narrative" which tones down the amount of reflexes you need to get through the game. The cover system is refined, not perfect, but it feels smoother now. The game doesn't get as intense as Gears of War (at least on Normal difficulty, which is quite a challenge for me).

RPG-wise, there are more choices you can make. From level 3 onwards, each upgrade to a power have 2 options - either more AoE, or more damage, and the like. You get to mod/upgrade your weapons, and put piece-meal armour together to give you the exact bonuses you want. You can't turn your pistol into an artillery like in ME1, but there are still enough varieties to make it fun. In the end though, your reflexes still count more than your stats.

(And ooh some of the weapons are fun too! There's a heavy pistol that fires sticky bombs!)

There are more tactical choices to be made too; do you carry lots of heavy weapons which does heavy damage into the battlefield, but reduce your power regeneration speed, or travel with just a pistol and/or SMG so that you can keep spamming your Warp?

The game also have rewards for doing melee attacks or biotic combo - there' s a Seletinel upgrade which gives your powers no recharge time if you set off a biotic combo. There's one which ups your protection by 30% if you kill someone with a heavy melee attack.

It seems that the system has finally strike a right balance.

Last edited by Crowbar of Irony +3; 03-08-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unauthorized Cinnamon View Post

Quimby, your discussion of your monkey Shepard made me laugh like an idiot at the gym, so people were looking at me weird. I decided if I tried to explain why I was laughing, they would have looked at me weirder. (I do think the female faces tend to have a prominent maxilla. I think they were going for pouty Angelina Jolie and overshot into Planet of the Apes territory.)

Old 03-08-2012, 10:51 PM

Sorry to follow my own post with another post but I was wondering if anyone else has an issue where the dialogue volume is really low but sound effects are loud? I checked all my windows sound settings and they seem fine. It just seems to be in the game.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:56 AM

Quote:
It's not so much the face, as all the choices. And (damnit!) I do not want anything spoilered for me at all, so I don't want to know which choices are important and which aren't. Helped the Hanar preacher in ME1? Maybe he leads an elite squad of ninja priests into Reaper territory. That crime lord gal who becomes a social worker if you set her straight? Maybe she unleashes her suicidal patients on the Reapers into a great wave of emo. I dunno, and I don't want to know until I play through, but damnit I want all my choices!

(grumble, grumble, feh)
Here's are what I think matters

SPOILER:
  • Loyalty missions in ME2
  • Turning the base over to Cerebus
  • Saving the Council
  • Sparing or killing the Rachni Queen
  • Character-based DLCs matter! (AFAIK, Kasuimi, Shadow Broker)
  • Whether you punch that reporter...
  • ...probably lots of other stuff I haven't noticed or forgot
Old 03-09-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
Sorry to follow my own post with another post but I was wondering if anyone else has an issue where the dialogue volume is really low but sound effects are loud? I checked all my windows sound settings and they seem fine. It just seems to be in the game.
Generally I don't have a problem, except on the Citadel all the newscasts and PA announcements tend to drown out conversations I'm having or trying to listen to! I haven't figured out how I could change that.

IMHO, all the digital noise on the Citadel is a major misstep in their imagined future - they should realize that we're all becoming more and more connected, but only in our own, isolated and carefully crafted bubbles. No one wants to hear constant broadcasts everywhere - we're connected to our smartphones with Bluetooth headsets!

But I'll forgive them because I adore their matter-of-fact inclusion of gay marriage.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:36 AM

I like the game a lot. I particularly like that the paragon dialogue isn't as wimpy sounding as it was in ME2. Yes, I'm a good guy, but I'm not Mr. Rogers (although both of us have done horrible things to preserve galactic order).

The new cover system can be frustrating, sometimes in battles, I get stuck on a piece of cover or I keep rolling back and forth in a doorway instead of charging through it.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kobayashi View Post
Not looking at anything, just reporting on the facecode thing. Got the demo yesterday (I'm late to the party I know); put in the facecode I got from following the BioWare forums resulted in a pretty perfect reconstruction of my Shep I've had since ME1, although I've heard results can vary. So, when I pick up my copy tomorrow and import my save, if it cocks up I've got a recourse.

Also; it's a lot harder than I thought it would be. What the hell has happened to Shockwave?! Gone from an unstoppable freight train of biotic power to having all the force of a chihuahua taking a piss. Warp's still as useful as ever though, as is Singularity. Floating ducks!
The problem with the face generator in ME3, and 2 as well I think, is that most of the options to adjust the shape of the nose that was in ME1 was removed, so if you made a lot of adjustments to for example bridge and nostril width you're out of luck. If not then you can get a pretty good likeness.

The main change in biotics is that there are more combos available for biotic detonation, so they aren't useless against shielded/armored enemies anymore. Off the top of my head you can detonate warp, stasis, reave, singularity, and even lift I think. Shockwave is pretty underwelming in 3, and I tend to not get it at all since all the other skills are more useful.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:57 PM

Can someone explain to me the Weapon screens as if they were talking to a child? I find them very confusing.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:30 PM

Each weapon has two slots where you can add devices to improve a gun's performance. For example, you can add a scope to the assault rifle and more ammo capacity.

First you have to find these items on a mission, or buy them at store kiosks.

To add an item to your gun, click on the modify button, then you can page through the different options avaible.

If you don't have any items for a particular gun type, then no modify button will appear next to the gun type.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:51 PM

The weapon screen is kind of clumsy, clearly more intended for consoles than PCs.

I'll just add that the percentage you see in the middle of the screen represent the recharge delay bonus, which is affected by the weight of the weapons you carry. There are skills you can get that increases the amount you can carry before you get penalized. This is only for your character, though. Your squad in single player don't seem to be affected by weight.

A positive percentage makes your abilities recharge faster, negative percentage slows it down, and they're capped at 200%. Generally you'll want to balance weapon flexibility vs weight. If you're a caster class, like an adept or engineer, for example, you'll probably want to go with a light load.

Last edited by Enilno; 03-09-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I just finished the Tuchanka missions, I haven't been rushing through the game....

SPOILER:
"Somebody else might make a mistake"

And then,

SPOILER:
'We'll name a daughter after him'
Old 03-10-2012, 09:03 AM

Holy shit, what a game. The only thing I don't like is the fact that I have to do twice as much fetching stuff as someone who plays online.

Just finished the Tuchanka missions too, I'm really regretting
SPOILER:
destroying Maelon's genophage cure data. War! Simulations were clear! Things were a little frosty between me and Wrex for a while there.

However, I don't regret
SPOILER:
blowing up the Collector Base. Someone on the Dope talked me round and I'm glad they did, given how much of a nutter TIM is in this one. Also; where the hell did Cerberus get all its resources? In ME2 the Lazarus Cell going rogue is described by EDI as a 'significant loss', and now they're attacking the Citadel?! Oh well, felt good to gun down that prick Udina. I've been wanting to do that since ME1.

Anyone met
SPOILER:
Conrad Verner yet? Love the little nod to the import bug in the second game where he apologises for claiming you waved a gun in his face when you didn't.
There's so many little nods and references it would take me forever to list them all. Some of them were a little bugged, in a single mission my Shepard talked about how he vaporised the last rachni queen only for Garrus and Shepard to minutes later talk about how she was let free (I turned her into Kentucky Fried Rachni in ME1).

Also BioWare, (big spoilers)
SPOILER:
stop gleefully culling my ME2 squadmates! Requiescat in pace, Mordin Solus and Thane Krios. Also, stop faking me out! First Garrus takes a rocket to the face making my heart jump to my throat, then Kasumi gets blown up, then Grunt jumps down a hole filled with Reaperised rachni!
My blood pressure can't take much more!

Last edited by Mr. Kobayashi; 03-10-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:35 AM

I think ME2 did a good job of catching you up with their little comic book intro option (this may have been DLC, I'm not sure) that let you choose various decisions. However, I only used it for trying out things that I didn't do in my personal "canonical" playthrough of ME1.

In my opinion, I think the humor and "ah hah!" moments of recognition that come in ME3 are best experienced by actually playing ME1/2. I also think that not only do these flesh out the ME3 experience, they also help break up the unrelenting pressure and tension in the game from the destruction hanging over everyone's heads. I find a lot of moments where I'm smiling in this game, and I'm not sure it'd be the same if you hadn't played both of the previous installments at least once.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret Herder View Post
I think ME2 did a good job of catching you up with their little comic book intro option (this may have been DLC, I'm not sure) that let you choose various decisions. However, I only used it for trying out things that I didn't do in my personal "canonical" playthrough of ME1.

In my opinion, I think the humor and "ah hah!" moments of recognition that come in ME3 are best experienced by actually playing ME1/2. I also think that not only do these flesh out the ME3 experience, they also help break up the unrelenting pressure and tension in the game from the destruction hanging over everyone's heads. I find a lot of moments where I'm smiling in this game, and I'm not sure it'd be the same if you hadn't played both of the previous installments at least once.
Pfft, to hell with those Johnny-come-latelies. Loyalty should be rewarded. The ability to survive the Suicide Mission, for example.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:16 PM

Requiescat in pace,
SPOILER:
Legion. Does this unit have...a...soul? Still, couldn't betray the quarians. Wonder if there's a way to get them both to help you? My main Shep stayed silent on the issue of taking back Rannoch. My do-gooder ultraparagon told them to forget it. Wonder what her playthrough will be like...
Old 03-10-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Requiescat in pace,
SPOILER:
Legion. Does this unit have...a...soul? Still, couldn't betray the quarians. Wonder if there's a way to get them both to help you?
SPOILER:
There is. Did you save the admiral?
Old 03-10-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
SPOILER:
There is. Did you save the admiral?
Yep?
Old 03-10-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Yep?
From the Bioware forums:
SPOILER:

Quote:
Just so you guys know, there are TWO requirements to make peace between the Geth and Quarians.

The first, as you have obviously figured out is your reputation (paragon/renegade) bar.

The second is a tally of "Peace Points" from various Quarian/Geth missions throughout ME2+3. The situations where you receive "Peace Points" are the following:

ME2:
Legion's Loyalty Mission: Rewrite = 0 / Destroy = 2
Tali's Loyalty Mission: Exile = 0 / Innocence = 2
Legion/Tali Argument: Siding with someone = 0 / Moderating argument through reputation interrupt = 1

ME3:
Saving the Admiral = 1
Shutting down the Geth Fighters = 1

The total of points you can receive is 7. I know for a fact that peace can be achieved through a paragon interrupt with only 5 points (following a pure paragon path in ME2/3). It seems natural to assume that achieving peace through a renegade interrupt would require all 7 points. (Needs confirmation)
Old 03-10-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
From the Bioware forums:
SPOILER:

Hmm, I did all of those except
SPOILER:
shutting down the geth fighters, went for the Reaper base first then couldn't do it. My paragon bar is pretty close to the top; haven't had any convo options blocked out at least. Didn't see any interrupts either - only renegade ones, one of which I assumed would be smacking Han Gerrel and the other a bullet for Legion, neither of which I did.

I allowed Legion to upload his improvement, but then Tali begged him to stop and it became apparent that it was the geth or quarians. I told Legion to stop, whereupon he choked a brotha leading to Tali burying an omni-blade in his back. After getting my mack on with Liara (who looks a lot more...er...leathery, it has to be said, compared to her equivalent scene in ME1.) my Shep had a nightmare about Legion's fate. He now rests in Valhalla with Mordin and Thane! Assaulting the Cerberus Base now. My military forces thing in the war room is all green and as far along as it goes, so here's hoping for a good ending.

Last edited by Mr. Kobayashi; 03-10-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
SPOILER:
I allowed Legion to upload his improvement, but then Tali begged him to stop and it became apparent that it was the geth or quarians. I told Legion to stop, whereupon he choked a brotha leading to Tali burying an omni-blade in his back.
SPOILER:

As I remember the scene, I allowed Legion to upload his improvement, Tali begged him to stop, I allowed him to continue, and then there was a Paragon option.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
SPOILER:

As I remember the scene, I allowed Legion to upload his improvement, Tali begged him to stop, I allowed him to continue, and then there was a Paragon option.
Damn. Oh well...

The ending...
SPOILER:
Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot. I've no idea if the ending I got was good, bad or what. Was expecting a Deus Ex: Human Revolution style choice between destruction, control or synthesis(?). Instead, after popping a cap in TIM's ass and chatting to a creepy light boy my Shep runs and jumps into a light column and disolves; the Reapers retreat from Earth, the Mass Relays across the galaxy blow up and the Normandy crashes on some planet. Joker and EDI hug with Liara in the background, roll credits. WHAT THE ACTUAL WHAT.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Damn. Oh well...

The ending...
I got the same ending as you and I was rather underwhelmed. It was a pretty poor ending to an epic trilogy of games.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odesio View Post
I got the same ending as you and I was rather underwhelmed. It was a pretty poor ending to an epic trilogy of games.
Apparently you can choose which ending you get,
SPOILER:
but they're all pretty much the same. I should have listened to Johnny ghost kid; going straight ahead into the light gets the ending where you merge organics and synthetics, going to the left is control, shooting the red thing on your right gets the destroy ending.

I was also gobsmacked by the kid's explanation for the Reapers...you use synthetics to kill and harvest organics so that synthetics won't kill and harvest organics? Come again? That's not beyond human comprehension, that's just bloody stupid!
Old 03-11-2012, 04:49 PM

wrt to the ending (BIG MAJOR SPOILERS)
SPOILER:

I can't believe I stay up late to play till the ending, playing every day. The ending is a let down, after all the build up. There is no need to explain why the reapers came. There is no for the game go philosophical all of a sudden. I guess the writers need a "Oh, we need a twist! Right at the end of the game moment" but the explanation makes zero sense/ We harvest you...so that your DNA are preserved!

Bioware has also delivered a good ending for the Mass Effect games - ME2 was fantastic, but the end-game segment of ME3 stumbles. Most games tend to suck towards the end , and I was so happy that Mass Effect 2 don't, (except for the lame excuse of a boss). The Collector's Base is finely paced and executed.

In Mass Effect 3, it looks like they were rushing through the production. Bleak, uninspiring building. Just waves after waves of enemies rushing at you. And no big final boss fight, just a boring speech by TIM. It's like the ending in the Matrix 2. "Oh we forgot to talk about deep and thinky stuff!".

It seems that they want the player to make 'difficult'c choice towards the end of the game, but what the heck is it with the ending? Depending on what you choose, it's more or less the same ending - just the beams are differently coloured (red, green and blue) and whether the Reapers died or flee.

And the entire mechanism for the Crucible doesn't make sense. It's feels like arbitrary hand-waving (oh it works because it's advanced technology. Doesn't explain how the scientists of all the previous cycles figured out how it work). Destroying the Mass Relays also have unfortunate implications. What about all the alien race stuck at Sol? All the Quarians will never see Rannoch again! Will they have to figure out their own FTL?

And how did the Reaper steal the Citadel? (In fact the whole thing jumps the shark when TIM told me that). Didn't I setup a Citadel Defense Force? Wouldn't Reapers arriving trip off alarm? Wouldn't Reaper leaving the battle lines Palaven be reported?

I think they just want the last bits of the game to take place on Earth, so they just wrote it that way. Though for the life of me I can't understand why they have to destroy the only means of FTL. Its like a "by the way, up yours just because I feel like it" (how does the Reaper get 'home' without the Mass Relay anyway?)

I don't mind a sad ending, or a bitter-sweet ending; but the way the writers arrive at it is so contrived that my suspension of disbelief just snapped like barrier collapsing under a Krogran charge. All the major turning points in the game have a big build-up, for example such as choosing between the Geth or the Quarian. You know one day you have to make the choice. But the Crucible destroying the Mass Relay. WTF? Synthesize with them? Was there any build up to this?

If there's a Mass Effect 4 (or a new trilogy), I would like to see how Bioware writes their way out of this one.

Last edited by Crowbar of Irony +3; 03-11-2012 at 04:49 PM.