Old 06-22-2016, 06:24 PM
BANNED

I wish I could help, but the only time I was ever in LA, I escaped by plane.

No, it wasn't a glider on a tall building; it was a connecting flight.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie_monty View Post
Eh, Hajario, I can find the manual online easily? What's the Internet address?
Oh man, too easy:
Internet Address
Old 06-22-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Is there? I have a Samsung 5. Let me know when you find the button.

How to find a button.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Dude, look for a button labeled AC and push it.
Hey, maybe it's not so simple.

F'rinstance, I've got this here computer with some version of Winders on it. At the far lower left corner of the screen, there's this button clearly marked "Start". But..... It only appears there after I've somehow already got the computer started! I haven't figured out yet how to start this computer when it's not already started because the "Start" button isn't there yet!
Old 06-22-2016, 10:41 PM
Dismember

Not only that, but if I want to STOP using the computer, I have to click START again! What's up with that?
Old 06-22-2016, 10:48 PM
Dismember

Quote:
Eh, Hajario, I can find the manual online easily? What's the Internet address?
Right here (PDF). Page 164.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatterpunk View Post
Not only that, but if I want to STOP using the computer, I have to click START again! What's up with that?
But at least the Start button is there, when I want to do that! I managed to figure that one out.

Anyway, we see that OP's original problem has been solved, and not by any of us on this board. He talked to the lawyer, and lawyer said he doesn't have to go to Riverside any more.
Quote:
FWIW, the lawyer came out here about 30 minutes ago. He understood the situation as I explained it--and agreed that I don't have to go back to Riverside. No problem.
Now, why didn't any of us think of that?
Old 06-22-2016, 11:06 PM
Dismember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
Anyway, we see that OP's original problem has been solved, and not by any of us on this board. He talked to the lawyer, and lawyer said he doesn't have to go to Riverside any more.

Well, yeah, but I'm sure dougy will have other reasons to be out driving around in the searing heat. He needs to figure out how to work the fucking A/C. There's a reason they put all those little pictures on the buttons - so that any illiterate who can manage to get into the driver's seat can also figure out how to turn on the A/C.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Well, yeah, but I'm sure dougy will have other reasons to be out driving around in the searing heat. He needs to figure out how to work the fucking A/C. There's a reason they put all those little pictures on the buttons - so that any illiterate who can manage to get into the driver's seat can also figure out how to turn on the A/C.
Don't assume that a German air conditioner that hasn't been serviced for 22 years is going to work. The Germans do a lot of good stuff to cars, but air conditioning isn't one of them.

Maybe he has pressed that button and nothing happened, so he assumed it wasn't the right button.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:30 AM
Charter Member

Has anyone ever seen the OP and CCitizen in the same place at the same time?
Old 06-23-2016, 01:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
FYI, there is no button on the dash with "AC" on it.
Old 06-23-2016, 01:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Dweller View Post
Don't assume that a German air conditioner that hasn't been serviced for 22 years is going to work. The Germans do a lot of good stuff to cars, but air conditioning isn't one of them.

Maybe he has pressed that button and nothing happened, so he assumed it wasn't the right button.
Now how do you know that the air conditioning hasn't been serviced in 22 years?
Old 06-23-2016, 02:32 AM

Quote:
You say you don't use the air conditioner because you don't know how to turn on the air conditioner. If you don't use it, how would you know that it needed servicing?

Or do you just take it in for service on a regular schedule whether it needs it or not? If so, I apologize, but then I have to wonder why you didn't ask the air conditioning technician how to turn it on when you took it in for service.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkitty View Post
Old 06-23-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Then you may need to construct a new AC unit. Look around you. Can you form some sort of rudimentary lathe?
Old 06-23-2016, 09:11 AM

After reading all of the excuses thrown out by the OP, I relent. I agree with him. He should just stay home.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDog View Post
Then you may need to construct a new AC unit. Look around you. Can you form some sort of rudimentary lathe?
LATHE? I've never done woodworking...
Old 06-23-2016, 05:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
After reading all of the excuses thrown out by the OP, I relent. I agree with him. He should just stay home.
You may be interested to know that I described the situation to my doctor when I saw him today. The 108-degree temperature as I got on the freeway to head home Monday afternoon; my feeling of exhaustion when I finally arrived home, in Gardena, approximately an hour later; lying down for an hour an a half after that. He said this was heat exhaustion. (I had also smacked my bare right foot into a chair rocker on Sunday. The doctor thought it might have been a broken bone making my foot hurt (and of course I had had that foot on the accelerator, driving on Monday), but the doctor sent me for X-rays and, thankfully, there was no fracture, just a bad sprain; he told me to put ice on it. (At the age of 67 a broken bone doesn't heal very fast. I've never had a broken bone in my life.)
Old 06-23-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
You may be interested to know that I described the situation to my doctor when I saw him today. The 108-degree temperature as I got on the freeway to head home Monday afternoon; my feeling of exhaustion when I finally arrived home, in Gardena, approximately an hour later; lying down for an hour an a half after that. He said this was heat exhaustion. (I had also smacked my bare right foot into a chair rocker on Sunday. The doctor thought it might have been a broken bone making my foot hurt (and of course I had had that foot on the accelerator, driving on Monday), but the doctor sent me for X-rays and, thankfully, there was no fracture, just a bad sprain; he told me to put ice on it. (At the age of 67 a broken bone doesn't heal very fast. I've never had a broken bone in my life.)
Dude, for half of what the doctor visit cost, a mechanic could figure out your ac for ya.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Dude, for half of what the doctor visit cost, a mechanic could figure out your ac for ya.
True, but the mechanic couldn't evaluate my condition after the triple-digit-temperature drive home, or the potential bone fracture in my foot.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Did the doctor ask why you didn't use the a.c.?
Old 06-24-2016, 12:28 AM
BANNED

No, he didn't bring the matter up. I think he was more concerned about the possibility of a fracture in my foot, because I did not show any permanent effects from Monday's heat ordeal.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:13 AM

I'm 70, with a heart condition, spinal stenosis, diabetic neuropathy and PAD. And until I get a new car, I'm driving one without A/C. But you won't hear me whine like a big baby about driving 120 miles in the heat. Man up.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Um... why does a lawyer want you to go to Riverside?
Archie's being sued for sexual harassment and he needs to get a deposition from Jughead.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Um...I know the thread is beyond this point, but has it ever occurred to you to just press the buttons until you get cold air? It's not like there's an "ejector seat" button or a "flying car" button or a "fire laser-cannon that's in the trunk" button*. Just hit the buttons on the dash from left-to-right, top to bottom. Sooner or later, cold air will start blowing out.

You can even do it while the car's parked in your driveway. Then use nail polish or something to mark that elusive button so you never lose it again.

*Although, I would buy that car, if there were.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
AC stands for air conditioning IN ENGLISH, NOT GERMAN. Do any of the controls have words or letters on them? What language are they in?

Anyway . . . in every car I've ever driven, I could figure out the climate controls by just looking. Cars are designed to be driven by morons; everything is made as easy as possible. This isn't rocket surgery.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
AC stands for air conditioning IN ENGLISH, NOT GERMAN. Do any of the controls have words or letters on them? What language are they in?

Anyway . . . in every car I've ever driven, I could figure out the climate controls by just looking. Cars are designed to be driven by morons; everything is made as easy as possible. This isn't rocket surgery.
.....I somewhat disagree, the higher tech (read expensive) you go, the more it has to be "your" car to figure out the controls...many "climate control" systems only come on when you turn on the fan.....let alone setting the temps. Once learn, its easy peasy..

Sidetrack: I care for some expensive cars and one, the cheapo one, Audi A8 has the worst designed radio EVER....(without the manual, just weird layout, and with the manual its like programming an old bad VCR haha)its got SO many options to do this and do that, and save this for your channels etc....the other cars , I'm too scared to drive em!!! On one, the mirror changed back to the setting used by for previous driver, before I realized what was wrong and I bumped the garage Man...talk about tail between legs..sheesh Had a perfect record before that too...cept for my cars...haha

My 2 toyotas on the other hand...they each have the same hold/vent/controls even though they are 20 years in age difference. (you know the ones, diagram for air on your feet, or air in your face)

Last edited by Section Maker:Jupe; 06-24-2016 at 11:06 AM. Reason: more anecdotes
Old 06-24-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
... It's not like there's an "ejector seat" button or a "flying car" button or a "fire laser-cannon that's in the trunk" button*. ...
Those are Aston Martin buttons.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:26 AM

We just bought a new (used) pontoon boat. The labeling for the dozen or so switches is worn away. Through a process of trial and error I have figured out the horn (duh), live-wells, stern lights, bow lights, accessory power, etc.

There is one rocker switch I'm still stumped about, so I emailed the seller. She owned the boat for six years, but never figured out what that switch does either.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
There is one rocker switch I'm still stumped about, so I emailed the seller. She owned the boat for six years, but never figured out what that switch does either.
Somewhere, there's a person wondering why their garage door has been going up and down randomly for the last six years.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Is there? I have a Samsung 5. Let me know when you find the button.
And how do you expect him to do that? The buttons are not well marked.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
That's good. If OP can't find the unlabeled AC button, then this just proves he isn't a moron. Sometimes, one simply has to NOT be a rocket surgeon.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I'm 70, with a heart condition, spinal stenosis, diabetic neuropathy and PAD. And until I get a new car, I'm driving one without A/C. But you won't hear me whine like a big baby about driving 120 miles in the heat. Man up.
Panache, I don't think you're a masochist, and neither am I.
"Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
"Then don't do that!"
Old 06-24-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:

It's Dougie's AC.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:14 AM
BANNED

You're about as entertaining as one wrestler.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Isn't that one-armed wrestler? Maybe not, that'd be entertaining.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Your...attempted insult? comment? snark? makes no sense. FYI.

But you still haven't answered why, in however may years of owning that car, you still haven't spent 10 minutes just pushing buttons until you get cold air. It's really not all that tricky to just push buttons until air=cold.

Last edited by Fenris; 06-25-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Now, I have heard of Skype...what is it, anyway?
Skype is a little tweeting bird chirping in meadow. Skype is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell bad.

I'm pretty sure Mr. Spock said that.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:47 PM

Quote:
But you still haven't answered why, in however may years of owning that car, you still haven't spent 10 minutes just pushing buttons until you get cold air. It's really not all that tricky to just push buttons until air=cold.
If the air conditioner is busted, it doesn't matter how many buttons you push, you won't get any cold air.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Your...attempted insult? comment? snark? makes no sense. FYI.
Ten bucks quatloos says he heard Jack Webb deliver that line, and he's been looking for a chance to use it ever since.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:51 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

I dunno, I find the prospect of one wrestler profoundly uninteresting.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
I dunno, I find the prospect of one wrestler profoundly uninteresting.
Even Hulk Hogan?
Old 06-25-2016, 08:19 PM
BANNED

You who heckle me are not amusing...
What I might want to see is a one-armed paperhanger who has the hives.

Metrolink sent me a schedule for rail service in the Los Angeles area...
Just confirms what I had already observed--no connecting trains from Orange to Norwalk until late afternoon.

Last edited by dougie_monty; 06-25-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:50 PM
zymolosely polydactile
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
Even Hulk Hogan?
Meh. Ever since we lost Gorgeous George, I can't say I find any pro wrestler to be real interesting.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:26 AM

Quote:
You who heckle me are not amusing...
What is your fixation with handicapped people in uncomfortable situations?
Old 06-26-2016, 12:38 AM
BANNED

Quote:
What is your fixation with handicapped people in uncomfortable situations?
:Sigh: that's one of the oldest jokes in the books...

Last edited by dougie_monty; 06-26-2016 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
My Uncle James (never Jim or Jimmy) left one of his arms in France, where he also lost an eye. He was there, voluntarily, helping to secure freedom so that fools like you could make stupid jokes. He returned to the US to his carpentry job (paperhanging would likely have been impossible with only one arm, urticaria not withstanding).
Old 06-26-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkitty View Post
the more I read this thread (not a particular follower of dougie) the more I was thinking along the same lines
Old 06-26-2016, 03:01 PM
BANNED

I knew that the paperhanger cliché appeared in my Ripley book. I looked. Sure enough, it was there--on Page 215. (Original publication date, 1931). The man, named Albert J. Smith, lived in Dedham, Massachusetts. (In the large double volume published in 1946 it appears on Page 164.)
In any case, this was a cliché before I was born.

Last edited by dougie_monty; 06-26-2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
I knew that the paperhanger cliché appeared in my Ripley book. I looked. Sure enough, it was there--on Page 215. (Original publication date, 1931). The man, named Albert J. Smith, lived in Dedham, Massachusetts. (In the large double volume published in 1946 it appears on Page 164.)
In any case, this was a cliché before I was born.
Which is a pretty obvious reason not to use it. Most of the people who would've recognized the cliché are dead now. I'm in my 60s and I never heard it, and if I did, I would've asked "What does that have to do with anything we're talking about?"

Handy advice for Dougie (but really anyone): Pause and ask yourself "Will what I'm saying make sense to this audience, and does it apply to this topic?" The paperhanger* line fails on both counts, so is there a downside to pausing, thinking it over, and saying what you're trying to another way?

*I had to google "paperhanger"... are there really people who only paste wallpaper? Maybe not, which would explain why it's an obscure word.