Old 07-09-2019, 09:41 AM

I notice all the red-haired representation is focused on beautiful girls. Googling returns a bunch of actresses whose hair is red in iconic roles. So am I missing something? This seems to be a very popular hair color for female characters.

I could see how red-haired men are underrepresented, particularly as love interests. But that has nothing to do with a black Ariel.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
You seem to have skipped my post. That's not the only reference to skin color in the original story. There are multiple references to the mermaid having white skin in Andersen's story. (He also refers to the Prince looking like "a marble statue," and also having blue eyes. The whole cast is pretty Nordic.)
I did miss that. That's pretty definitive.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Brave came along a generation later and is probably not even on their radar unless forced to watch over and over by their children. I canít help but think itís considered one of the lesser Disney movies.
"Brave" is a Pixar movie. I know Pixar and Disney are the same corporation, but the creative teams and processes are different.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleonast View Post
"Brave" is a Pixar movie. I know Pixar and Disney are the same corporation, but the creative teams and processes are different.
Merida is still counted as a Disney Princess. And believe me, her merch sells quite nicely to young girls.

Last edited by MrDibble; 07-09-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

I think that, historically, redheads have been over-represented in movies. And it's easy to see why: Hair color provides a quick and easy way to visually distinguish between different characters, at a glance. And this goes back long before movies: See, for instance, A Midsummer Night's Dream, where the two young couples are color-coded (the two light-haired ones end up together, and the two dark-haired ones). So if you have three characters who you want to be instantly distinguishable from each other, you can give them brown, blond, and red hair, even though redheads are nowhere near a third of the population.

But skin color is also a way that you can make characters visually distinct, and one that's been under-used in the past, due to the baggage of racism. If your three characters are a white person with dark hair, a white person with light hair, and a black person (presumably with dark hair), then they're just as distinguishable as the trio which includes the redhead. And that's a lot closer to the US's real demographic ratios. So in a way, it makes sense that red-haired characters would be replaced by black characters.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

I guess we have to accept that some people will rebel against any changes to the Little Mermaid. Just look at the backlash that Disney caught in 1997 when they dared to produce a live-action version of Rogers and Hammerstein's Cinderella for television. That version featured a black Cinderella, a black fairy godmother, and a mixed marriage king and queen (who somehow managed to produce the very white Jason Alexander as Prince Charming, er, Lionel.)

We know what happened ever after. Sixty million people tuned in to watch, something like 70% of them girls under age 18[/URL]. When they discovered Cinderella was black, they rioted in the streets. Elementary schools had to bring in grief counselors. There were mass boycotts of Disney theme parks. Sales of Cinderella costumes plummeted as little white girls replaced her with another Disney Princess as a role model. The experiment completely destroyed the appeal of Cinderella to the general public never to be recovered, and Disney's attempt to tinker with a classic fairy tale cost the company billions of dollars in lost sales and goodwill.

And now, just 22 years later, here they are making the same mistake with Ariel. You'd think a big company like that would learn from its past.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Oh, there are plenty of other reasons to backlash against Rogers and Hammerstein's Cinderella. No matter what races the actors are.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:11 PM

I just want to express one observation right now.

A lot of people are talking out of both sides of their mouth and thus maybe need to sit down somewhere.

Whenever we talk about diversity in Hollywood and the fact that white actors have a huge advantage in getting cast in award-winning roles and films, the majority view tends to always go something like this: "Hollywood executives are driven by profit. White actors get butts in the seats and thus translate into box office sales. That's just how it is. Casting rando black and brown people doesn't make good business sense. Audiences simply don't like that. They want to see Sigourney Weaver play an Egyptian, not a tawny Vanessa Williams. And so be it that Ocar winners are overwhelmingly white, thus ensuring the marketability of white faces. That is capitalism for you. Deal with it."

So now the prospect that Hollywood executives are finally seeing the profitability of black and brown casting has got people clutching their pearls. As if Hollywood has never catered to racial biases. HOW DARE DISNEY CHOOSE A BLACK GIRL JUST TO MAKE MONEY! IT SHOULD BE ABOUT ART! AND TRUTH! AND REALISM! HOW CYNICAL THEY ARE!!

Hollywood has never cared about art, truth, or realism, so it is rich that only now people are starting to be ticked out about it. And this double standard isn't fair. It isn't fair to the minority actors who have worked hard and waited patiently for high profile roles and it isn't fair to the generations of minority audiences who have waited patiently to see people who look like them be represented as three-dimensionally as white folks have been.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Last edited by monstro; 07-09-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:18 PM

Who gives a shit?

Its the obnoxiousness that accompanies all this that gives me a headache.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

So this is freaking awesome. If someone's already mentioned it, my apologies.

Anderson, it turns out, was bisexual, and wrote TLM after he was rejected by a man he had a crush on. The dude he loved married a woman; and in despair, Anderson wrote a story about a mermaid who dies* from unrequited love when she watches the object of her affections marry another.

I would watch the hell out of that remake.

* Died, turned into undead seafoam phantom, tomayto tomahto

Last edited by Left Hand of Dorkness; 07-09-2019 at 12:56 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 07-09-2019, 01:49 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Or lamps on their foreheads. I'm just saying Disney's diversity message would ring a lot less hypocritical if the Little Mermaid was half-anglerfish. But nooo, she has to be one of the nice, PC fishes !
I got your anglerfish mermaid right here.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:49 PM

Thanks, I hate it.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

OK, that's just disturbing. Even if it does make some sort of twisted sense, in a world that's evolved in response to the presence of humans.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
All the Little Mermaid songs become better when you imagine her as the protagonist.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:24 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Shockingly, there's been little reaction to the possibility that Ursula the Sea Witch may be played by the non-purple non-white-haired non-tentacled Melissa McCarthy. Surely they could have found a cephalopod-human hybrid to play her.

No one seems to have been offended by the multi-ethnic mermaids in Pirates of the Caribbean. Nor by the fact that they had long sharp fangs and ate people.

Last edited by Colibri; 07-09-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:49 PM

As long as they don't do a live-action version of "Robin Hood", and cast a bunch of furries. Because that would destroy my childhood.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
No one seems to have been offended by the multi-ethnic mermaids in Pirates of the Caribbean.

I'll be in mah bunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller

... I'll be in mah bunk.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clark View Post
Kirsten Dunst dyed her hair red to play Mary Jane Watson in three Spiderman movies. Was there a lot of outrage directed at Columbia Pictures or director Sam Raimi for not using an actual redhead?

How about when Zendaya dyed her her red to play MJ in the most recent Spiderman reboot?

SPOILER:
No, there wasn't.
Kirsten Dunst I'll give you, though I would suspect those supporting the theory would say she predated the issue.

Zendaya being MJ, on the other hand, is exactly one of the examples cited. To say her being MJ was uncontroversial is to have ignored the Internet. There's a reason even the movie itself didn't do it in full, making her not Mary Jane Watson, but another character with the same nickname.

They also cited Meg (and her mom) from A Wrinkle in Time, and Starfire (from Titans, I assume). Wally West from the Flash, and Jimmy Olson from Supergirl. I even found this article saying it's not only true but a good thing.

I would not agree. Even if Chronos' reasoning is correct, I would consider it a problem if people with one characteristic were more likely to be racially recast. Especially if that characteristic is being ginger, i.e. one that has actually faced some discrimination of its own (albeit outside the US.)

That said, I'm fully aware of the ability to cherry pick to get a desired narrative. Or to for things that are random to happen to clump together and for people to see patterns where there are none. I lack the personal experience. I had hoped that ywttf's post would have been decisive--unfortunately, she just linked to a Google image search for red actresses, most of whom I don't recognize, let alone know if they were in prominent movies recently. Plus a few I do recognize are not natural redheads.

I'm also aware that this whole thing may have started because of a satirical post by a black person that people took seriously. (And at least one example appears to be wrong, going by the comments.) Still, that doesn't make it not a possibility.

Even if it turns out just to be cover for racists, looking for excuses, I do think the argument has to be addressed. And, if there is any merit to it at all, that does not mean in any way that I do not support this Ariel. It would just be a bit of a wake-up call to Hollywood to pay more attention to any bias in changing the characteristics of characters. It's almost certainly not due to any anti-ginger bias (as America doesn't really have one, historically), so it's not that huge a deal.

To be honest, Ariel being black wasn't even the first thing I noticed--as the image I saw had the typical "Hollywood lightening" of the girl's face. The first thing I noticed was the lack of red hair and wondered if she'd wear a wig. Then I noticed her name, which is very close to Halle Berry, so I definitely noticed she was black. (Note, this was like in the span of a second or two.)

Now, BTW, I don't want her wearing a wig. Her real hair would look great in the water, though I do hope it will be dyed reddish (and more so than Zendaya's MJ, which I never even realized was supposed to be red). Plus, well, I am aware the issue where black people feel they can't be represented using their real hair.

Anyways, the second idea I brought up (which no one has hooked on) is the one I thought might be more important: is Hollywood's attempt at diversification focusing too much on black people, and forgetting about other minorities? How well represented are black people now?

The redhead one I was just hoping to be debunked. I would love to be able to go back and prove that it is just a red herring.

Last edited by BigT; 07-09-2019 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Then I noticed her name, which is very close to Halle Berry

Yes. I never had a problem knowing who Danny Glover was until Donald Glover came along. Now this. What's next, Duane Johnson? Tim Cruise?
Old 07-09-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Shockingly, there's been little reaction to the possibility that Ursula the Sea Witch may be played by the non-purple non-white-haired non-tentacled Melissa McCarthy. Surely they could have found a cephalopod-human hybrid to play her.
I've actually know people who would be upset if she's not played by a drag queen. I mean, her original design was based on one, and they want representation. They've already mentioned how it sucked in the Broadway version.

Just googling "drag queen ursula" to find a source to back up my claim about her design, and the first article is entitled "Disney Erases Ursula's Drag Queen-Inspired History By Casting Melissa McCarthy in 'The Little Mermaid'". (And, despite the title, the article is actually quite balanced, even citing a possible good reason for the choice.)

I am neither surprised by the outrage nor Disney's choice to ignore LGBT aspects in their remakes. And, while it is not an issue I care strongly about, I do not blame those who do. And I would have liked to see a proper drag performance of the character.

Last edited by BigT; 07-09-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Kirsten Dunst I'll give you, though I would suspect those supporting the theory would say she predated the issue.

They also cited Meg (and her mom) from A Wrinkle in Time, and Starfire (from Titans, I assume). Wally West from the Flash, and Jimmy Olson from Supergirl. I even found this article saying it's not only true but a good thing.

I would not agree. Even if Chronos' reasoning is correct, I would consider it a problem if people with one characteristic were more likely to be racially recast. Especially if that characteristic is being ginger, i.e. one that has actually faced some discrimination of its own (albeit outside the US.)

Hilariously, The Root (gah) tried to claim that Starfire was not just being played by a black woman. But is a black superhero being played by a black woman. IN THE COMICS. Starfire is a black woman?
Old 07-09-2019, 10:16 PM

Not only is the orange Starfire played by a black person in Titans, but the green Beast Boy is played by an Asian! (A not painted green Asian.)
Old 07-09-2019, 10:22 PM

From that ravelist article

For one thing, roles for Black women in Hollywood are rare

With a billion channels all having their own original programming??

I dunno. I think we live in a golden age for actors.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

I knew that they changed Meg's race (and that of her mom) in A Wrinkle in Time (and for the record, thought it was a good artistic decision, in that specific case). But I never realized that Meg was originally red-haired. I'm pretty sure that my mental image of her was somewhere in the light brown-dark blond range, though I don't remember if that's ever stated in the books.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:29 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Since mermaids have no souls, and neither do gingers, it's appropriate that a the Little Mermaid should be played by a redhead.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Since mermaids have no souls, and neither do gingers, it's appropriate that a the Little Mermaid should be played by a redhead.

Dude. Not to junior mod, but...

Old 07-09-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
But I never realized that Meg was originally red-haired.
She wasn't. Her mother and her friend Calvin are both red-haired, but Meg's hair is described as "mouse-brown".
Old 07-09-2019, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Anyways, the second idea I brought up (which no one has hooked on) is the one I thought might be more important: is Hollywood's attempt at diversification focusing too much on black people, and forgetting about other minorities? How well represented are black people now?
My half-white, half-Asian daughter was 15 when Mulan came out, which means she had no Disney Princess characters that "looked like her" when she was a kid. She identified with Belle, but she didn't look anything like animated Belle, and certainly looks nothing like Emma Watson's Belle.

She very much likes Emma Watson, though, so she's cool with her being cast as anyone.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Hilariously, The Root (gah) tried to claim that Starfire was not just being played by a black woman. But is a black superhero being played by a black woman. IN THE COMICS. Starfire is a black woman?
I don't know if Starfire even existed before Wolfman and Perez took over the Teen Titans, but Perez gave Starfire afrolatina features.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Funnily enough, Ursula's daughter appears in Descendants 2, played by the distinctly unpale China Anne McClain.

But hey - remember that time when all those people lost their shit about them casting a swarthy hairy actor to play blond pale clean-shaven Aquaman? Yeah, me neither. (Although, knowing the internet, someone probably did.)
Old 07-10-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Arachnid_Laser View Post
I don't know if Starfire even existed before Wolfman and Perez took over the Teen Titans
She did not. There were a couple other characters by that name, but Koriand'r first appeared in a 1985 story drawn by Perez.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:23 AM

Starfire isn't any earthly color. So it's revealing how many people just defaulted her to white.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Very few “gingers” are cast to play red-heads. What we typically get are actresses dying red their blonde or brunette hair. So even if a white person was cast to play these roles, it’s only faux representation. Imagine Rachel Dolezal cast as a black character. That’s equivalent to what “ginger” casting largely is today.

You can’t get any more faux than cartoon Ariel. All that red hair and not a freckle in sight, despite all that UV exposure? Right. A true red-head would be a flaky sunburned mess out there in the ocean; her unmet need would be a bottle of SPF 50, not love or a pair of legs.

Quote:
To be honest, Ariel being black wasn't even the first thing I noticed--as the image I saw had the typical "Hollywood lightening" of the girl's face. The first thing I noticed was the lack of red hair and wondered if she'd wear a wig.
You know that black women dye their head red all the time, right? They are no different than white women in this respect. Overanalyzing the most mundane of mundane issues sends the impression that you think black people belong to a separate species or something. It's cringey.

Last edited by you with the face; 07-10-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
I've actually know people who would be upset if she's not played by a drag queen. I mean, her original design was based on one, and they want representation.
Oh ugh ugh ugh ugh

Ursula's design may have been based on Divine but the actual voice actress from the animated film, Pat Carroll, is not a drag queen so it's not like a role has been taken away from anyone. Disney already has a problem with queer-coded villains, let's not actively make it worse. Melissa McCarthy is a fine workhorse casting choice.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
But hey - remember that time when all those people lost their shit about them casting a swarthy hairy actor to play blond pale clean-shaven Aquaman?
Popular Facebook memes aside, Aquaman has been a joke since forever and the changes were seen as an attempt to make a derided character "cool" versus any sort of racial pandering. While I'm sure that classic Aquaman had his defenders, he's hardly in the same popularity league as Ariel.

I don't give a crap what race Ariel is depicted as (or played by) but the two events aren't really the same. Plus the message feels like "If you don't lose your shit over these non-Aryan actors, you can't lose your shit over these either" which I'm guessing isn't going to result in greater acceptance and tolerance from the shit losing community.

Last edited by Jophiel; 07-10-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Arachnid_Laser View Post
I don't know if Starfire even existed before Wolfman and Perez took over the Teen Titans, but Perez gave Starfire afrolatina features.
I don't really see it in your example, but Perez himself has said :
In real life, letís see nowÖ Koriandír, sheís so many characters Iíve used: Marilyn Monroe, my first wife, oh gosh, there was a stripper somewhere, Ö.. . (Laughter.) She was so many.
so there's plenty of wiggle room there. Although elsewhere he's also said she's basically "Space Red Sonja".
Old 07-10-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
If the entire Little Mermaid cast is riddled with various non-whites, then it's not Disney who is focusing too much on black people.

It's the people who are whining about Ariel who are focusing too much on black people.

Last edited by you with the face; 07-10-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:32 AM

Aquaman's had a beard off-and-on since the mid-90s in the comics, so again it comes down to whether he's "pale and blonde" or "swarthy"...

I realize you were parodying, Gyrate, but yeah, some people did lose their shit. Probably used worse words in private, too...
Old 07-10-2019, 10:47 AM

The original plan for Aquaman was to tie Polynesian sea mythology into his origins. I'm pretty sure there would've more shit lost if they had continued on that less European course.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:55 AM

This decision to change Ariel's race puzzles me.

Granted, the original movie is 30 years old, but for those of you who think The Little Mermaid isn't a fixture for girls today, you're waaaay off base. Disney has spent millions upon millions of dollars over the past 30 years marketing the "old" version of Ariel in various ways, and that hasn't really slowed down much recently; in fact, Disney has just launched a new line of Ariel-themed merchandise to commemorate the film's 30th anniversary.

To change the physical appearance of the character now seems short-sighted, based on the massive investment they've made in her. It would be akin to making Mickey Mouse orange. (I realize Mickey is far more ubiquitous than Ariel, but you get my drift.)
Old 07-10-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron View Post
To change the physical appearance of the character now seems short-sighted, based on the massive investment they've made in her. It would be akin to making Mickey Mouse orange. (I realize Mickey is far more ubiquitous than Ariel, but you get my drift.)
Like others in this thread, you presume Ariel is the only one who is going to look different than their cartoon analogue. If the entire cast is racially diverse, does your analysis change?

What was your opinion about the multi-racial rendering of Cinderella?

There's something amusing about all these middle-age white men talking about this movie like this is serious business to them...a Disney princess movie.

Last edited by you with the face; 07-10-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:27 PM

I have faith the 6 year-olds of the world will manage.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:27 PM

How do we know that cartoon Ariel was white? Perhaps she was just a light-skinned mermaid of color.

I am not being totally tongue-in-cheek here.

Ariel lives in world where race is determined by the nature of one's lower appendages. So accusing Disney of changing her race is crazy. All Disney has done is change her skin coloring. And this is a minor change under the sea, where many species change their coloring (including crabs, flounders, and octopusses) like humans change their underwear. Why wouldn't a mermaid possess the same ability? They aren't humans and thus aren't constrained by human limitations.

Last edited by monstro; 07-10-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:38 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
This decision to change Ariel's race puzzles me.

Granted, the original movie is 30 years old, but for those of you who think The Little Mermaid isn't a fixture for girls today, you're waaaay off base. Disney has spent millions upon millions of dollars over the past 30 years marketing the "old" version of Ariel in various ways, and that hasn't really slowed down much recently; in fact, Disney has just launched a new line of Ariel-themed merchandise to commemorate the film's 30th anniversary.

Dude, they're not going to stop selling cartoon Ariel merch. That's not how this works at all. The idea isn't to replace all the white Ariel stuff on the shelves with black Ariel stuff. The idea is to get you to buy your kids a white Ariel and a black Ariel.

Basically, same reason Spider-Man's suit changes with every movie.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
And now they have a second image of Ariel that they can market in parallel to the first. From that standpoint, the fact that the live action Ariel looks significantly different from the animated version is a selling point - now kids can clamor for their parents to get them both Ariels!
Old 07-10-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetcory View Post
The original plan for Aquaman was to tie Polynesian sea mythology into his origins. I'm pretty sure there would've more shit lost if they had continued on that less European course.
They made Nicole Kidman his mom and she's virtually translucent so everyone watching could still feel confident about his whiteness.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:06 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
I don't really see it in your example, but Perez himself has said :
In real life, letís see nowÖ Koriandír, sheís so many characters Iíve used: Marilyn Monroe, my first wife, oh gosh, there was a stripper somewhere, Ö.. . (Laughter.) She was so many.
so there's plenty of wiggle room there. Although elsewhere he's also said she's basically "Space Red Sonja".
There is actually a pretty strong racial subtext to Starfire, at least originally, but it's not a great one. Starfire was enslaved by a space empire called The Citadel, before escaping and joining the Teen Titans. This was a big part of the claim that she was originally black (at least metaphorically) in that Root article Dale mentioned. Except, her origin doesn't draw on African-American narratives, it draws on white slavery tropes - she's a princess whose been enslaved by... well, basically, by Idi Amin. That's not projection on my part, that's the explicit intent as explained by the writer in the letters column of the book. And the portrayal over all is super, super uncomfortable.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:11 PM

This is outrageous! The original Little Mermaid was ethnically Chilean Sea Bass, how dare Disney cast a Patagonian Toothfish! It messes up the entire canon!

Oh, people are talking about the OTHER half?

Last edited by Sailboat; 07-10-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by you with the face View Post
Like others in this thread, you presume Ariel is the only one who is going to look different than their cartoon analogue. If the entire cast is racially diverse, does your analysis change?
Actually, no. Ariel is the star of the show, no doubt, but again, Disney has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions, marketing these specific characters for decades Ö and, as I noted, they just launched a new merchandising campaign to celebrate the movie's 30th anniversary. To change the appearance of some pretty iconic characters for no discernable reason seems tone-deaf to me.

Quote:
What was your opinion about the multi-racial rendering of Cinderella?
I wasn't aware of a multi-racial rendering of Cinderella, and as a result I have no strong opinion. I will say (although I have no hard data to back this up) that I'd bet Disney has spent more in the last 30 years in marketing merchandise on Ariel than they have on Cinderella.

It's not a racial issue to me, per se; it's changing a character's appearance for no discernable reason after spending millions upon millions of dollars essentially branding that character in a certain way.

Quote:
There's something amusing about all these middle-age white men talking about this movie like this is serious business to them...a Disney princess movie.
I wasn't aware I had to conform (or not conform) to a certain demographic before I could express an opinion on this subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller
Dude, they're not going to stop selling cartoon Ariel merch. That's not how this works at all. The idea isn't to replace all the white Ariel stuff on the shelves with black Ariel stuff. The idea is to get you to buy your kids a white Ariel and a black Ariel.

Basically, same reason Spider-Man's suit changes with every movie.
Oh, I'm aware of the motivation behind it. I just think it's a misstep.

And for the record, I'm a Spider-Man purist. I don't mind minor alterations in the iconic red/blue/black suit, but crap like the Iron Spider getup Marvel trotted out in the last couple of Avengers movies chaps my undies.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
And for the record, I'm a Spider-Man purist. I don't mind minor alterations in the iconic red/blue/black suit, but crap like the Iron Spider getup Marvel trotted out in the last couple of Avengers movies chaps my undies.
That happened in the comics, though.