Old 09-11-2019, 07:35 PM

Stainless Steel Refrigerators

I just bought a new fridge. I didn't want to, and I planned to put it in the basement. But somehow, it ended up in the kitchen.

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=881592

They made the same thing in white and black, but it cost $200 more to get it in not-stainless-steel. But I thought it would be in the basement, where no one would ever see it, so I bought stainless steel. Fuck me.

So now I have this giant useless surface that attracts fingerprints. Where I used to have a grocery list, and coupons, and old children's art that still made me smile, and Christmas cards, now I have this ugly useless thing.

Who thinks this is a good idea? #$^#@ stainless steel appliances.

We ended up with stainless steel on the dishwasher when we last replaced it for similar reasons -- almost everything only came in stainless, and it was really restrictive to try to get something else. But that door wasn't as convenient and visible as the fridge, so it didn't bother me as much.

*$#%^ stainless steel appliances.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

We bought all new appliances when we built our house 15 years ago, and I hated stainless steel even back then. All of our appliances are white. And yes, we have fridge magnets and grocery lists covering the refrigerator.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:59 PM
Experimental FOC Test Pilot

Totally disagree. Stainless steel has been popular for around 20 years now and still is. Meaning I don't have a hopelessly dated looking kitchen. I'm talking to you olive green and almond yellow.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steatopygia View Post
Totally disagree. Stainless steel has been popular for around 20 years now and still is. Meaning I don't have a hopelessly dated looking kitchen. I'm talking to you olive green and almond yellow.
There's your problem...you needed avocado green! Timeless.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
So now I have this giant useless surface that attracts fingerprints. Where I used to have a grocery list, and coupons, and old children's art that still made me smile, and Christmas cards, now I have this ugly useless thing.
What's the problem? Will stainless steel not hold a magnet?
Old 09-11-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
It's 'Harvest Gold'

Eta, there was also an awful reddish brown. Don't remember what it was called.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 09-11-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:20 PM
BANNED

I once read that the dress swords of Marine officers and noncoms are now made of stainless steel, which is too brittle to be of any use in combat (not that anyone would use a sword in combat, against an enemy who has rifles. In WWII, the Japanese attached bayonets to light machine guns, which were too unwieldy to use as thrusting weapons, but that was because of the sword-based samurai heritage of their military culture).

Last edited by kirkrapine; 09-11-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
It's an appliance, not a fashion statement. The only ones who dictate whether an appliance is "in style" are the companies making appliances. It's a scam.

Does it still work, and function as intended? That is all that matters. It's not a fucking scarf that is no longer "in season"
Old 09-11-2019, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
It's 'Harvest Gold'

There was both an almond and a harvest gold. Almond, a sort of yellowish-ivory, actually lingered well into the 80s.

What's funny is that my sister did her whole house in an updated versions of the palate (we didn't realize until later) and it looked amazing. They were the same colors, but lighter and clearer. I think that the problem with the "earth tones" was more that they were made when synthetic dyes were much less capable of subtlety.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkrapine View Post
What's the problem? Will stainless steel not hold a magnet?
Yes, that's the problem.

I don't care for avocado green, but I kinda like harvest gold. If that had been available for the same price as stainless I might have gotten it. My cabinets are painted a sort of cream color that would go well with it.

But I like white. And I like to cover it with stuff.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
It's 'Harvest Gold'

Coppertone.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

Don't blame the appliance because you bought it for one room and then decided to place it in another one.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
It's an appliance, not a fashion statement. The only ones who dictate whether an appliance is "in style" are the companies making appliances. It's a scam.

Does it still work, and function as intended? That is all that matters. It's not a fucking scarf that is no longer "in season"
Then the OP should have complained about the ability of it to cool his ice cream or hold multiple cases of Old German. He chose to pit it's looks and magnet holding capabilities.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Then the OP should have complained about the ability of it to cool his ice cream or hold multiple cases of Old German. He chose to pit it's looks and magnet holding capabilities.
The freezer section is also a lot smaller than I expected, but we'll make do. Well probably need to use the freezer section of the basement appliance more often.

But stainless steel doesn't prevent it from keeping ice cream cold. It does prevent it from ever looking really clean (fingerprints) or from conveniently holding stuff in the surface. They only make them in #$&+# stainless steel because it's "fashionable". So $#&+ the fashion of stainless steel.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Don't blame the appliance because you bought it for one room and then decided to place it in another one.
I blame myself for not paying the extra $200 to get it in white.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:30 PM

Lol it's not a scam just because you personally don't like it.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:33 PM

I had a side by side refrigerator in a rental house. Useless. Couldn't put anything of size in either side.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:33 PM

I didn't say it's a scam. I said it's a really bad design choice, that somehow has become the default finish, despite being objectively worse than like most every other finish available.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
I had a side by side refrigerator in a rental house. Useless. Couldn't put anything of size in either side.
Oh yeah, those are also really badly designed. Who came up with that? Someone who has never roasted a turkey, that's who.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Until I saw this thread, I had no idea that an appliance with a stainless steel covering wouldn't hold a magnet. I mean, it's stainless steel, right?

So I went looking, and found that if the nickel content is too high, it really won't hold a magnet. Learned something new.

And, puzzlegal, I also found an article with suggestions. I dunno if it will help, but I offer it in hope.

ETA: The above article says the problem is if the nickel content is too high. But this article, linked to from the first, says the problem is caused by nickel content being too low. Damned if I know. But I suspect the suggestions will work, even if the writers don't know why the stainless steel isn't magnetic.

Last edited by Morgyn; 09-11-2019 at 10:42 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkrapine View Post
I once read that the dress swords of Marine officers and noncoms are now made of stainless steel, which is too brittle to be of any use in combat (not that anyone would use a sword in combat, against an enemy who has rifles. In WWII, the Japanese attached bayonets to light machine guns, which were too unwieldy to use as thrusting weapons, but that was because of the sword-based samurai heritage of their military culture).
Don't know nothing 'bout swords but I do know that stainless steel screws are soft not brittle. I used them on my cedar deck and probably stripped the head on 10% of them.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post

Did you just write or draw on your old fridge?

ETA: My stainless steel fridge holds magnets just fine. If you don't like it, just return it and get what you want.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 09-11-2019 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

It turns out that whether or not stainless steel is magnetic is determined by quantum mechanics! It's incredibly hard to understand physics, right in your kitchen!
Old 09-11-2019, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

As a minor note, if anyone wants to search the archive for a circa 2002 thread about someone trying to buy a fridge that didn't have an icemaker, I highly recommend it.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
ETA: My stainless steel fridge holds magnets just fine. If you don't like it, just return it and get what you want.
Mine also - to the point where you can't really tell that it is stainless steel because you can't see much of the surface.

But it is good to know that if/when we shop for a replacement, I should bring a magnet along to test if it will hold all the crap that is on the current one.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
As a minor note, if anyone wants to search the archive for a circa 2002 thread about someone trying to buy a fridge that didn't have an icemaker, I highly recommend it.
Yeah, a quick internet search showed me that wasn't going to work. Almost nothing on the market doesn't have an icemaker.

I think I can remove the icemaker from this one, though. As soon as we finish cleaning the old one, so I can temporarily move all the stuff from the freezer into it, I plan to attack the ice maker. That should buy us a couple of inches in that portion of the freezer. (Neither I nor my husband uses ice enough to want an ice maker. Ice gets nasty if it sits too long, and it takes up space I could use for butter and meat and broth and frozen veggies.

I really was surprised how small the new freezer is -- it looks huge from the outside, but there's probably only 60% of the space we used to have. I guess I should have shopped more carefully, but we never really did much with the freezer in the basement, so I wasn't too worried. Now we will be doing more with the freezer in the basement....
Old 09-11-2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
...And, puzzlegal, I also found an article with suggestions. I dunno if it will help, but I offer it in hope...
Thanks. It turns out the side are magnetic. That's not ideal, but it's better than nothing, and it means I don't need to find a new home for my thermometer. Bedawrek pointed me to magnetic tape, and I may buy a roll or two of that, and stick it to the front. It will likely be ugly, and not quite as flexible as being able to drop a magnet anywhere, but I think that will address most of my major concerns.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:55 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

As the proud owner of a nickel-imbued stainless steel refrigerator, I WELCOME my new blank-faced beer-holding monolithic overlord.

My oven-mitt magnets, beer-opener magnets, magnetized calendar and shopping lists live happily on the side, and I give a jolly wink at the empty frontage as I brew my morning tea and butter my English muffin each day.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:25 AM

If you really have to put a bunch of crap on your refrigerator that you quickly come to ignore because you see it so much then just use tape or gummy removable adhesive. Let's face it: You put it up and stays there for months and you completely forget about it, so using magnets isn't really necessary.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:34 AM

Yeah, the fingerprint situation was bothering my gf after we did our kitchen remodel. I got a pair of white gloves from a friend whose hobby is watches. I left the gloves on the counter and put them on any time I opened the fridge. It took my gf three days to notice, but was worth it for the laugh.

Oh, and I fine tuned the leveling feet on the refrigerator so that the door stands open without assistance. Between that and using the recess openining area there are very few prints.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Last time I bought stainless steel, I had to pay a premium for it.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:59 AM

Hey, maybe you get no joy from your child's old artwork, but I do. Also, the magnets themselves are fun. There's no joy in sticky putty.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post
Last time I bought stainless steel, I had to pay a premium for it.
Yeah, I was surprised that the non-stainless options cost more. Less demand, so slower thruput, I'd guess.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:22 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post

While I agree with you in principle, unfortunately there will come a day when the kids have moved out and Mrs Magill and I will say "screw that" to cleaning the homestead. On that day, having a "timeless kitchen" will make selling the old Casa de Magill much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
We bought all new appliances when we built our house 15 years ago, and I hated stainless steel even back then. All of our appliances are white. And yes, we have fridge magnets and grocery lists covering the refrigerator.
Which is the entire reason to have a fridge. Well, that and it's a good place to keep the milk.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:35 AM

Some stainless appliances have fingerprint resistance as well. Our Maytag does, and it lets us stick magnets on the front. The previous Kenmore had neither and is now the downstairs beer fridge. FWIW, I would have had to pay extra for the stainless front microwave/range I installed. The black one was $100 less, and shows fingerprints really easily. Go figure.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:33 PM

For notes have you considered something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Eras.../dp/B01HC3EEAE

You stick it on the front of your fridge and now it’s a dry erase board. And it covers up the stainless steel surface that collects all those fingerprints.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
For notes have you considered something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Eras.../dp/B01HC3EEAE

You stick it on the front of your fridge and now itís a dry erase board. And it covers up the stainless steel surface that collects all those fingerprints.
I think her major complaint is that the front isn't magnetic, so a magnetic whiteboard may not help much. Plus if it doesn't stick, it isn't going to prevent fingerprints.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
I think her major complaint is that the front isn't magnetic, so a magnetic whiteboard may not help much. Plus if it doesn't stick, it isn't going to prevent fingerprints.
Shit, sorry that was the wrong link.

https://amazon.com/Embellish-Whitebo...dp/B07F5R5T6G/

That's what I meant to link to. Itís a film you stick on, like a huge sticker, that covers up the stainless steel surface and turns it into a whiteboard. It is supposed to stick to stainless steel just fine. And as I said it would cover up the fingerprint-prone chrome with something less likely to show prints.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:26 PM

Huh. Magnets work fine on all of my stainless steel appliances. Whirlpool fridge, Frigidaire mini-fridge, Frigidaire range, Maytag dishwasher.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Huh. Magnets work fine on all of my stainless steel appliances. Whirlpool fridge, Frigidaire mini-fridge, Frigidaire range, Maytag dishwasher.
On our stainless steel refrigerator, magnets stick fine to the sides, but not the front. Which, coincidentally, works perfect for us. Keeps a nice uncluttered look in front and allows a few things to be stuck to the sides.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Shit, sorry that was the wrong link.

https://amazon.com/Embellish-Whitebo...dp/B07F5R5T6G/

That's what I meant to link to. Itís a film you stick on, like a huge sticker, that covers up the stainless steel surface and turns it into a whiteboard. It is supposed to stick to stainless steel just fine. And as I said it would cover up the fingerprint-prone chrome with something less likely to show prints.
I looked at that. But it's nice to be able to grab the grocery list and put it in my pocket, and it's handy to leave the theater tickets and coupons there. And a white board doesn't help with that.

It would be kind fun.

If you want to really dress up your fridge, I found this:
https://www.rmwraps.com/refrigerator...rigerator-wrap
(they make lots of designs, this is just a fun sample)

Not cheap, and not magnetic (I asked) but it wouldn't show fingerprints. And it would make people smile.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:32 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Don't know nothing 'bout swords but I do know that stainless steel screws are soft not brittle. I used them on my cedar deck and probably stripped the head on 10% of them.
So they can't take your deck apart and steal it while you are on vacation. You'd complain if your were hanged with a new rope!
I think it would be cool to have a refrigerator that people would stick stupid little drawings to with magnets.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:33 PM

Pretty cool.

Now if I had an avocado green fridge I might be interested.

Here's one that would fit into my ice cream and Old German post.

ETA replying to puzzlegal's post of course.

Last edited by steatopygia; 09-12-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:01 PM

I’d do a TARDIS fridge if it actually meant the inside of the fridge was larger than the outside.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Iíd do a TARDIS fridge if it actually meant the inside of the fridge was larger than the outside.
Damn, I lose enough stuff in the science-experiment corners of my fridge as it is. Though, on the other hand, if you could run it back to when these mysterious fuzzy blobs were still fresh ...
Old 09-12-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post
ETA: The above article says the problem is if the nickel content is too high. But this article, linked to from the first, says the problem is caused by nickel content being too low. Damned if I know. But I suspect the suggestions will work, even if the writers don't know why the stainless steel isn't magnetic.
Obvious solutions:
- If the nickle context is too low, superglue more nickles onto fridge until it becomes ferromagnetic.
- if the nickle content is too high, change some out for quarters.

You are welcome!
Old 09-12-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jackson View Post
Obvious solutions:
- If the nickle context is too low, superglue more nickles onto fridge until it becomes ferromagnetic.
- if the nickle content is too high, change some out for quarters.

You are welcome!
You can also attach pennies 5 at a time to increase nickel content.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:06 PM

There was brown and burnt orange besides avocado and harvest gold. Nowadays black stainless is popular also.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:38 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
You can also attach pennies 5 at a time to increase nickel content.
Won't that also increase the copper content?
Old 09-12-2019, 06:34 PM

We have a stainless steel refrigerator, and I don't understand the fingerprint issue. I guess the OP has sticky-fingered kids, so that's her issue, but we've had ours for 14 years, and I've never had an issue with fingerprints. I wipe it down occasionally, but it's not like I'm always cleaning because OMG fingerprints!!!! Before our dogs (dachshunds) passed away, I thought we might have nose prints on the fridge drawer front, but nope to that, too.

It's not magnetic either which is fine with me. I did the refrigerator magnet thing for a while years ago, but just found it kinda tacky and got rid of them all. De gustibus....

Last edited by carrps; 09-12-2019 at 06:35 PM.