Old 04-10-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
IIRC Sansa is still in the Vale, pretending to be Littlefinger's bastard daughter.
Okay, thank you.

Wow, when you think of where the books are frozen (heh) versus where the tv series is, it's kind of shocking.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:01 PM
SDSAB

Things have moved on juuuuuust a bit.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Things have moved on juuuuuust a bit.
I do wonder if the end is the same place and how far before the end do the timelines merge.

IMO there's a decent change that Sansa and Jon rally the North to Winterfell before a confrontation with the Others. Sansa's path there will be quite a bit different. Jon's might not be, but hopefully doesn't involve capturing a wight for Cersei or banging Dany.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:05 PM

Slate's culture writer wonders if we must watch the final season, given the likelihood the episodes will at worst stink or at best be unsatisfying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate
So must I watch these six episodes, given that they will be bad? I’m sure they’ll have stirring scenes in them and fun surprises. The Mountain will get his comeuppance at the Hound’s big hands, I’m sure. But they’re also gonna blow it. They’ll pack far too much into too short a time, desperately attempting to wrap up as many loose ends as possible. They’ll also nevertheless leave too many of those loose ends dangling. Tyrion will do something stupidly out of character. The big battle will look kind of fake. Cersei’s story will be mishandled, or Arya’s, or Sansa’s, or more likely all three of them. Somewhere in Episode 4 they’ll introduce some new character, and I’ll be like, “Who the hell is that?” and it’ll turn out that he’s not new, he was important for one scene in, like, Season 2, which first aired 100 years ago. I’ll need the [SDMB] to explain what’s cool about that.
(edit mine)
Old 04-10-2019, 07:41 PM

Frankly I'm just going to watch Preston Jacobs' reaction to them.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:49 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

I'm just wondering if the writers are going to stretch the body count out, killing off a beloved character each episode or go for the gut punch and slaughter a bunch all at once? You know the body count is going to rival Gettysburg Day 3. But will it be a death by inches or "Rocks fall, everyone dies?"

Probably in
SPOILER:
Episode 3.

My money is on
SPOILER:
Sansa
as the
SPOILER:
last Queen standing.

Last edited by silenus; 04-10-2019 at 09:52 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
I do wonder if the end is the same place and how far before the end do the timelines merge.

IMO there's a decent change that Sansa and Jon rally the North to Winterfell before a confrontation with the Others. Sansa's path there will be quite a bit different. Jon's might not be, but hopefully doesn't involve capturing a wight for Cersei or banging Dany.
Jon banging Dany is exactly the type of thing that GRRM would do. The horror, the tragedy, etc.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:07 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutMan View Post
Slate's culture writer wonders if we must watch the final season....
Heh. That was good, even though I disagreed with him (purposefully bad grammar and all).
Old 04-11-2019, 12:18 AM

I think Bronn gets whacked early, to prove the deadliness of some new player. Maybe Euron at the head of the Golden Company He's at KL at the end of the last season, right? He doesn't go north with Jamie?
Old 04-11-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Jon banging Dany is exactly the type of thing that GRRM would do. The horror, the tragedy, etc.
Does anyone think that's tragic? Other than the incest it's gotta be the most fantasy tropey story beat possible. If GRRM actually sticks to subverting tropes, they don't end up together.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:06 AM
SDSAB

Was the High Sparrow a villain? Weigh in here: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=873790
Old 04-13-2019, 08:19 AM
Cecil's Inner Circle
Charter Member

If GoT was made in India
Old 04-13-2019, 10:50 AM

Oh, that is wonderful!

The Lannisters have a million man army!
How many people in our small town?
Ten million.
<significant slurp>

And the Battle of the Bastards absolutely needed that dance scene.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
I think a few scenarios are possible at this point:

1. Martin has fully written both final books and is holding them because he doesn't want to take attention away from the show. <--- my crazy optimistic hope.

2. Martin has only written the next book and some is the same, some different.

3. He still hasn't finished enough of anything to publish any time soon and we won't get a book until 2020 or beyond. He's been changing things and having to go back and re-write whole sections.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:11 AM

I think the reality is closer to "Martin knows what the main plot points are supposed be but he has a lot of trouble actually writing himself there, the show simply handwaves away anything problematic or that doesn't make sense in order to make it look cool".
Old 04-13-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalC View Post
I think the reality is closer to "Martin knows what the main plot points are supposed be but he has a lot of trouble actually writing himself there, the show simply handwaves away anything problematic or that doesn't make sense in order to make it look cool".
This was certainly true for the Mereen plot in the book vs the show. Although I doubt GRRM will end up sticking that ending he clearly struggled and attempted to get a tight plot out of it where the show just relied on deus ex dragon.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:01 AM

Watching the season 6 marathon on HBO yesterday and I caught a continuity error. Forgive me if this has already been mentioned in the previous 20 pages.

Jon, Lady Lyanna, Davos, and Sansa et al are meeting Ramsey Bolton for some general taunting/parley/bowing up before the Battle of the Bastards. In disgust, Sansa departs the meeting before anyone else leaves.

After she leaves, Ramsey mentions his hounds are hungry because he hasn't fed them in seven days.

After the battle, Ramsey is tied up in his kennel. Sansa is outside, and tells him, "You said it yourself, you haven't fed them in seven days."

Now, Jon could have told her later after the meeting, but her wording, "You said it yourself" makes it seem like she heard him, but she didn't. She'd left.

Ah well, with such a sweeping epic story across multiple locales boo-boos are going to creep in. (I still wonder how they got Ramsey in the kennel and unlocked the dog cages without getting attacked by the hounds themselves.)

Speaking of the books, Diana Gabaldon (Outlander fame) is good friends with George. She shares a story that some years ago, George asked her what do you do when you killed off a character you shouldn't have? Diana's advice was you're the God of this universe, bring him or her back, but of course now everyone is speculating who that dead character could be.

Last edited by ivylass; 04-14-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivylass View Post
Speaking of the books, Diana Gabaldon (Outlander fame) is good friends with George. She shares a story that some years ago, George asked her what do you do when you killed off a character you shouldn't have? Diana's advice was you're the God of this universe, bring him or her back, but of course now everyone is speculating who that dead character could be.
Jon?
Old 04-14-2019, 12:04 PM

Jon's "dead" in the last book. We don't know what happens next.

I'm thinking it's the Dorne boy (can't remember his name) who tried to free Dany's dragons and got scorched to death for his troubles.

Last edited by ivylass; 04-14-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

May the Seven help me, I'm thinking about getting HBO Now (previously I waited for the DVDs)
Thought 1: I'll wait until the series is done an binge during the free trial week
Thought 2: Wait a bit and pay for one month (~$15 + tax)
Thought 3: The whole series is ~$30 (less than I paid for the DVDs)

I'm sure HBO is counting on folks signing up to watch GoT and then not bothering to cancel.

Brian
Old 04-14-2019, 01:02 PM

I was thinking about waiting until after it was over, getting the free trial and binge-watching, but then I realized it's the last season, I want to be part of the social experience too. Who's going to talk about episode one with me 6-7 weeks later? I want to enjoy the ride with everyone else as it happens.

I WILL cancel, though. Contract job doesn't pay as much as my former job.

Last edited by ivylass; 04-14-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP View Post
I'm sure HBO is counting on folks signing up to watch GoT and then not bothering to cancel.
It's a good plan. This is me after the last season. Now I don't have to deal with signing up again!
Old 04-14-2019, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
May the Seven help me, I'm thinking about getting HBO Now (previously I waited for the DVDs)
Thought 1: I'll wait until the series is done an binge during the free trial week
Thought 2: Wait a bit and pay for one month (~$15 + tax)
Thought 3: The whole series is ~$30 (less than I paid for the DVDs)

Brian
Quote:
I was thinking about waiting until after it was over, getting the free trial and binge-watching, but then I realized it's the last season, I want to be part of the social experience too. Who's going to talk about episode one with me 6-7 weeks later? I want to enjoy the ride with everyone else as it happens.

I signed up yesterday and believe that one payment gets me through the season. 1 free week + one month pay should add up to about the right time to get through the season.

Tonight, I watch the episode "live" on HBO Now and will find out if it is functional enough to work.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:25 PM

In other related news, of the "No Shit" variety, Game of Thrones strongman Hafthor Julius Bjornsson admits to taking steroids. http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/...ts-steroid-use

FTA:
Quote:
Bjornsson did not elaborate on when he has used performance-enhancing drugs. Asked how often he takes steroids and if he's still doing it, Bjornsson deferred: "Can we just skip those questions?"

The annual World's Strongest Man (WSM) competition officially prohibits the use of PEDs, but it is not clear the extent or effectiveness of its drug testing for its athletes
"He's ripped his arms off!" https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-l...olympics/n9691
Old 04-14-2019, 04:14 PM
SDSAB

'Tis but a scratch.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Valar Subscribus.
You will all help me cancel, right?

Brian
Old 04-14-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Valar Subscribus.
You will all help me cancel, right?

Brian
We will remind you. You may even say that you have done it. But secretly, you will be binging Westworld. You'll be wanting to talk to us about it, but unable to because you've told us you quit. Eventually, you will become desperate enough to create a sock puppet in order to engage the debate about sentience, emotion, and morality.

And the socks will increase. The Girls sock persona won't fit with a True Detective discussion, and you'll begin to attempt regional accents to differentiate them. When you confuse the Deadwood sock with the Big Little Lies sock, the mods will catch you and kick you off the Dope for puppeteering.

::shakes head sadly::

But yes, we'll remind you.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:

I decided to sign up a month ago, getting a $10/month deal. I wanted to rewatch the entire series, which I did at a couple episodes a day. It was worth it to see it all again because I had forgotten so much. And I also look forward to talking about it in real time. I'll cancel as soon as it's over.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Jon's "dead" in the last book. We don't know what happens next.

I'm thinking it's the Dorne boy (can't remember his name) who tried to free Dany's dragons and got scorched to death for his troubles.
Yeah, I couldn't figure out who it meant but that's a good guess. He died off "screen" and usually those characters (e.g. Davos) aren't really dead.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:22 PM

Quentyn? I can't imagine the most boring character from ADWD is someone GRRM decided he absolutely must have going forward.

Jon doesn't seem to make sense since there are a lot of textual hints that GRRM plans to bring hium back already.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:42 PM

There are really very few dead characters that could serve any purpose going forward. Mance Rayder maybe?
Old 04-14-2019, 08:47 PM

Geez, it's so obvious! Syrio Forel.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
There are really very few dead characters that could serve any purpose going forward. Mance Rayder maybe?
Mance isn't dead in the books, is he? There was the Rattleshirt switcheroo, and I think Ramsay claims to have caught him, but I don't think we know anything for sure.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Mance isn't dead, but here are some possibilities, IMO -- Kevan Lannister, Grand Maester Pycelle, Wyman Manderly (it wasn't clear if he was killed in ADWD, but he took a deep sword swing, IIRC)...
Old 04-14-2019, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Watching it now, but does anyone even have the name of the episode yet?
Old 04-14-2019, 11:26 PM

HBO Go calls it "Episode 68".
Old 04-15-2019, 12:53 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Watching it now, but does anyone even have the name of the episode yet?
"Winterfell."

Last edited by Colibri; 04-15-2019 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:24 AM
SDSAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
Geez, it's so obvious! Syrio Forel.
Oh pleasepleasepleaseplease....

Discussion thread for the S8 season premiere: https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=874054
Old 04-15-2019, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I still wonder how they got Ramsey in the kennel and unlocked the dog cages without getting attacked by the hounds themselves.
Fanwank-1 Unlock the cage, throw a chunk of meat into the back of it, open the cage and run like hell while they're still distracted.

Fanwank-2 Unlock the cage, then flip the latch using a really long stick.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:48 AM

in very first episode how did the deserter get past the wall? did he somehow sneak by Castle Black? or did he desert after he was at the castle for a short time?

Last edited by Bijou Drains; 04-15-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Mance isn't dead, but here are some possibilities, IMO -- Kevan Lannister, Grand Maester Pycelle, Wyman Manderly (it wasn't clear if he was killed in ADWD, but he took a deep sword swing, IIRC)...
I think Mance is okay, for now.

Wyman's survival was pretty clear, no?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
in very first episode how did the deserter get past the wall? did he somehow sneak by Castle Black? or did he desert after he was at the castle for a short time?
It doesn't say in show or books (different character in books too), but probably similar to how Bran & Co./Sam & Gilly got across. Plus the deserter, being Night's Watch, would have such a good skillset at crossing walls that would give Trump nightmares.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:27 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Drains View Post
I always wondered that. Also, how did the Mama direwolf get past the Wall?
Old 04-15-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
I always wondered that. Also, how did the Mama direwolf get past the Wall?
According to the nature documentary Rampage (2018), "of course the wolf flies!"
Old 04-15-2019, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

I got the impression that there were some direwolves south of the wall, but not many. When they remark upon them, they say it's very unusual to have a direwolf "this far south" (near winterfell), not "south of the wall" IIRC.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 04-15-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:18 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorBeef View Post
I got the impression that there were some direwolves south of the wall, but not many. When they remark upon them, they say it's very unusual to have a direwolf "this far south" (near winterfell), not "south of the wall" IIRC.
No, Robb says simply "There are no direwolves south of the Wall," (1:24) and Ned doesn't contradict him. According to the GoT Wiki no direwolves have been seen south of the Wall in 200 years.

Last edited by Colibri; 04-15-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Huh. I stand corrected.

I suppose the wolves could've swam around the east end or climbed the mountains in the west. What stops the dead or an army of wildlings may not stop a pregnant wolf, and night's watch patrols wouldn't have cared to.

Last edited by SenorBeef; 04-15-2019 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:23 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

OK, just based on that scene, which I barely remembered, I hope that it's Ghost that gets to put an end to Theon.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:23 AM

They're still saving the cash by not having Ghost appear anywhere...

And wait, no, I had to look it up, Summer died a couple of seasons ago.

You'd have thought the big doggie would be something to bring the starks together... And maybe bring a pang of sadness to Sansa.

Now I know why I found the last episode lacking...
Old 04-16-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smid View Post
They're still saving the cash by not having Ghost appear anywhere...

And wait, no, I had to look it up, Summer died a couple of seasons ago.

You'd have thought the big doggie would be something to bring the starks together... And maybe bring a pang of sadness to Sansa.

Now I know why I found the last episode lacking...
Lady - Dead, Season 1 Episode 2, executed by Ned
Grey Wind - Dead Season 3 Episode 9, killed at the Red Wedding
Summer - Dead, Season 5, killed defending Bran and Meera
Shaggy Dog - Dead, Season 6, killed by the Umbers
Nymeria - Alive
Ghost - Alive
Old 04-16-2019, 09:59 AM
SDSAB

Arya saw and parted ways a second time with Nymeria last season: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90Q-MUj47hg