Old 05-15-2019, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

"Thanos" means "death". The a- prefix means "without". It seems strange to me that the Greeks would drop something so significant in forming a nickname, but shrug, people do strange things.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:09 AM

Just got back from seeing it. Seems like it wrapped up a lot of things well. They managed a lot of references, and even bringing back characters from all the movies, which was nice.

Way too much Hawkeye.

Chris Evans was really phoning it in. RDJ puts so much into his performance. He brings the character to life, like it's a real person. Pretty impressive for a comic book movie. I started crying as soon as we saw his daughter, because it meant he was going to die. Didn't expect Nat's death. I kept waiting for there to be some kind of public recognition for her, but it never came. I guess she was a secret spy, and doesn't even have any family, so her death just stays off the radar. I can rationalise it, but it does reinforce the idea that she was a second-class citizen.

I liked all the female characters turning up behind Captain Marvel, even though it was forced. It was like they were saying "we just killed off Nat, but we do still have some other female characters for you to get behind". Also it was a nice moment of solidarity. Not just women kicking ass, but women looking out for each other. That was a really strong theme in the Captain Marvel movie as well.

Wasn't sure what to make of Nebula. It was like she was in a different movie. Everyone else is in this action blockbuster and she is in some fucked up horror movie, full of twisted relationships and constant torture and despair.

Banner looked very cartoony. Not sure why they had him like for the whole movie. Really enjoyed the Ancient One knocking him out of his Hulk self, so that he had to actually use his words.

I'm very sad to lose RDJ from future movies. Not sure that anyone else can make a character half as interesting.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
Nah, we'd all be worshiping Thanos, setting up shrines to Thanos, thanking Thanos on a daily basis. That was the whole point after all - a grateful universe worshiping Thanos. He stated that was his ultimate goal in both movies.
Yeah, well, his first plan didn't work out the way he expected either.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy View Post
Didn't expect Nat's death. I kept waiting for there to be some kind of public recognition for her, but it never came. I guess she was a secret spy, and doesn't even have any family, so her death just stays off the radar. I can rationalise it, but it does reinforce the idea that she was a second-class citizen.
I agree. It was highlighted by the way they gave us a major funeral scene for Tony Stark and only an off-handed mention for the other main character who died. This made no sense within the story because it had been made clear that Natasha Romanov had been much more actively involved with the other characters in the last five years than Stark had.

My personal opinion is that this is a sign that Natasha Romanov isn't really dead in the minds of the writers. She's only dead in the way that Phil Coulson, Loki, Gamora, Bucky Barnes, Steve Rogers, Nick Fury, Spiderman, Black Panther, Dr Strange, Groot, Nick Fury again, Bucky Barnes again, are dead - ie dead until they bring them back to life.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I agree. It was highlighted by the way they gave us a major funeral scene for Tony Stark and only an off-handed mention for the other main character who died. This made no sense within the story because it had been made clear that Natasha Romanov had been much more actively involved with the other characters in the last five years than Stark had.

My personal opinion is that this is a sign that Natasha Romanov isn't really dead in the minds of the writers. She's only dead in the way that Phil Coulson, Loki, Gamora, Bucky Barnes, Steve Rogers, Nick Fury, Spiderman, Black Panther, Dr Strange, Groot, Nick Fury again, Bucky Barnes again, are dead - ie dead until they bring them back to life.
Given that a Black Widow film is supposed to be in the works, that's a reasonable assumption. RDJ got his funeral scene because he ain't coming back. Period.

I think the same can be said of why Chris Evans got that weird time loop ending.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

I've already seen speculations that when Steve Rogers voluntarily returned the Soul Stone that meant Natasha Romanov came back to life.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
I've already seen speculations that when Steve Rogers voluntarily returned the Soul Stone that meant Natasha Romanov came back to life.
I would pay good money to see that 10 minute interaction with RedSkull.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
I would pay good money to see that 10 minute interaction with RedSkull.
One little thing that bothered me with the film - why didn't two highly experienced SHIELD agents recognize Johann Schmidt? I mean, it's not as if he lacked distinctive features. He even spoke to them in German!
Old 05-19-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I dunno. It's an Infinity Stone, not a library book or a coat check. "Going to hold the soul as collateral but bring it back and we're cool" seems as though it blunts the whole sacrifice angle.

Last edited by Jophiel; 05-19-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
I dunno. It's an Infinity Stone, not a library book or a coat check. "Going to hold the soul as collateral but bring it back and we're cool" seems as though it blunts the whole sacrifice angle.
Even with an analogy to something as mundane as a library book or a coat check, it maybe still fits; ever use a self-service locker where you (a) put in a coin to pop out the key, thereby locking its door; and then you (b) later use the pop-out key to unlock the door, securing that key right back in place for the next guy who’d sure like to put in a coin and walk off with the key for as long as he pleases?

Getting that key means paying the price — but that doesn’t need to mean there’s a refund for putting the key back, is my point.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
Given that a Black Widow film is supposed to be in the works, that's a reasonable assumption.
I believe the BW movie is going to be a prequel, though I've heard conflicting reports as to when it will be set. (2006, and right after Civil War)

ETA: Not that this proves she will stay dead. Death in comics is more like a bad flu than real life death.

Last edited by Larry Borgia; 05-19-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

It might be that Steve Rogers is the first person in the Universe to ever voluntarily give up the Soul Stone, so there's no precedent for what's supposed to happen.

Alessan, to be fair, he doesn't have much in the way of distinctive facial features.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:18 PM

I just saw the movie this weekend and just finished reading the this thread. I liked the movie a lot. Some specific thoughts:

1. With the way the conversation between The Hulk and The Ancient One was heading I thought for sure she was going to insist to head into the future to accompany the stone to ensure its safe return.

2. As far as why you have to snap your fingers to activate The Infinity Gauntlet my theory is that it is a safety mechanism to alert the gems you consciously want to use them in concert. So you can avoid inadvertently activating them together with a stray idea or thought.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
One little thing that bothered me with the film - why didn't two highly experienced SHIELD agents recognize Johann Schmidt? I mean, it's not as if he lacked distinctive features. He even spoke to them in German!
He just looks different somehow than he does in the files from World War II.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Oh, and something I've been thinking about:

Quote:
Quoth Miller:

Stark doesn't have a "standard" armor at this point in the franchise: his armor is a swarm of nanobots. He designed the glove that Banner used to reverse the snap - clearly, the tech that went into that glove was also programmed into his armor, which can reform itself to suit whatever function Tony needs from it. Granted, it doesn't have the mythic romance to "forged in the heart of a neutron star by a really tall Tyrion Lannister," but Tony is explicitly one of the greatest inventors in history. It's not actually a discontinuity that he can build an Infinity Gauntlet. Particularly given that he had access to Thanos' damaged one from Infinity War to work from.
As Rocket said, "You're only a genius on Earth". Most of what he comes up with is old hat to Rocket, or to the Asgardians. Mjollnir is explicitly a mystery to him, and the unadorned Gauntlet is the same level of tech.

Besides which, even by Earth standards, he isn't all that great. What fundamental technologies has he invented? The repulsor beam and the arc reactor were both created by his father. Nanotech he probably got from the Wakandans (they had it before he did, and he didn't get it until after Wakanda started opening up to the world). His AI skills aren't bad, but the only true AIs he ever made (Ultron and Vision) owed as much to the Mind Stone as to him. The time machine was his biggest accomplishment, but that was mostly Pym's work, which he's unable to replicate. He's very good at applying fundamental breakthroughs made by others, but I can't think of any fundamental breakthroughs he himself has made.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:32 AM

Yeah, I think of Tony Stark as mostly being an engineer. Really smart, excellent understanding of fundamental principles, but better at applying them rather than thinking of something new. Even in the case of figuring out "time travel" in the Realm of the Really, Really Small, he was just playing with what others had conceived trying to make it work out.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
He just looks different somehow than he does in the files from World War II.
Right, he's some other creepy red skinless German.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
It was too. damn. long. By the end I was wondering whether it wouldn't be better off for everyone to let Thanos destroy the universe.
I have to say, having just come from seeing the movie, I'm not so sure Thanos was wrong in killing off half the Avengers. Definitely felt like less bouncing around various storylines.

Heehee...Fat Thor. So now Thor was "meant to be" fat drunk and stupid and not the King of Asgard?
Old 05-24-2019, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Right, he's some other creepy red skinless German.
I don't know who's whooshing who at this point but I was making a joke about how a different actor is playing the character.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Heck, Jesus was only dead for a long weekend and he got a whole religion out of it.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq View Post
Yeah, I think of Tony Stark as mostly being an engineer. Really smart, excellent understanding of fundamental principles, but better at applying them rather than thinking of something new. Even in the case of figuring out "time travel" in the Realm of the Really, Really Small, he was just playing with what others had conceived trying to make it work out.
Bill Gates and Steve Jobs didn't invent computers. They just iterated on existing technology in new and profound ways. Stephen Hawking didn't invent ANYTHING AFAIK.

Stark's "power" is that he is always the "smartest" person in the room, regardless of if he is on Earth or on some planet with technology millennia ahead of ours where they teach quantum physics in grade school as "shit primitive societies used to believe". His other power is that he can apply any technology to solve any problem within the timeframe of the plot. Need to build a prototype Iron Man suit out of junk? Done. Connect some dots (both figuratively and literally) and invent time travel. No problem.

Another thing that kind of bothered me. How come no conventional Earth military showed up once Thanos' ship arrived in Upstate New York? Why just superheroes and Wakandans? General "Thunderbolt" Ross doesn't have some sort of Rapid Deployment Force on standby for taking out the Hulk or rogue Avengers or out of control robot armies or yet another alien invasion?

And speaking of Thanos' big ship. No one is concerned about a city-sized ship crashing into the planet and destroying everything like...I don't know...what Ultron tried to do with the city of Novi Grad, Sokovia? Sure, it wasn't that high so it's not going to reach orbital velocities before it hits. I still wouldn't want to be fighting under it when it lands.

Last edited by msmith537; 05-25-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Stark was not able to fix the ship he and Nebula were on at the beginning of the movie (they got a few kiloparsecs out of it, but not enough), but later in the movie, it is fixed, presumably by Rocket.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Well, Stark couldn't fix it with the tools he had, but once they were rescued by Danvers (and I'm unclear how she found them, or indeed how she navigates interstellar space at all, but whatever) and returned to Earth, Stark could have patched what needed patching.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
And speaking of Thanos' big ship. No one is concerned about a city-sized ship crashing into the planet and destroying everything like...I don't know...what Ultron tried to do with the city of Novi Grad, Sokovia?
I'm sure they are, but less concerned than they'd be about a city sized spacecraft blowing shit up with its cannons. Goes back to this not being a clean happy victory for the Avengers. People died, stuff got ruined, people are going to have to readjust to either losing five years of time or to having 50% of the world pop back in. I liked that aspect of the story -- it would have been super easy to just rewind the tape, make Thanos lose in Infinity War and everyone has a party. This was a braver way to present it; victory at a deep cost.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Thanos wanted the dusting to be random so no one could bitch that they were or were not chosen.
If it were random, people could bitch about being chosen, if they were alive to do so (not sure why someone would complain about not being chosen). Thanos wanted to eliminate half of the universe's existing population (humans only, presumably) because they were recklessly breeding and could not sustain such growth. However, not everyone was recklessly breeding. "Random" means that a lifetime single person who has never had a child could die and a family of 12 could live. That's not "fair" as Thanos stated on Titan in "Infinity War." That's patently unfair, given Thanos' motivation. Killing someone who isn't contributing to over-population and letting those who are contributing heavily, live, is unfair and worthy of a bitch. Since the Gauntlet apparently responds to the weilder's whim (precisely, it seems), he could have commanded it to kill those with, say, three or more children, and let those with less than three children live. It was dumb of Thanos to make it random, because that would have caused a lot of people who made bad decisions (according to him) live, and a lot of people who made wise decisions die. If "randomness" wasn't Thanos' choice, just a property of the glove, then why was Stark so precisely able to use the glove at the end of "Endgame" to only eliminate Thanos and his army?

Last edited by Harrington; 05-28-2019 at 04:13 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:21 AM

I don't think we disagree. Thanos wanted it to be random and making it random was just one more reason why his plan was a stupid one. My original point was that lumping a crashing airplane together, etc isn't really random as Thanos planned it.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrington View Post
Thanos wanted to eliminate half of the universe's existing population (humans only, presumably) because they were recklessly breeding and could not sustain such growth.
No, not just humans (and not just the dominant intelligent species on other planets). He eliminated half the life on every planet, including blades of grass, bacteria, roaches, giant pandas, etc. It doesn't make sense to me, though.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Finally saw it on a very rainy Memorial Day -- I'm probably near the last to see it (amoung folks who want/ed to). Liked it
And even though "no psot credit scene", I did have a post credit Spiderman: Far from Home trailer.

Surprised it was not dedicated to Stan Lee (or was that done in an earlier Marvel film?)

Brian
Old 05-28-2019, 08:53 AM

By the way....for anyone who complains that Danvers is OP...there's a certain storyline in the comics that could fix that. Though I doubt Brie will do the role that long.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Captain Marvel was dedicated to Stan Lee, and also had the opening logo-montage made up entirely of his cameos.

And yeah, Thanos' plan was not rational. I think we can all agree that dude be whack.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:00 AM

msmith537:

Quote:
Stark's "power" is that he is always the "smartest" person in the room, regardless of if he is on Earth or on some planet with technology millennia ahead of ours
Didn't look that way to me in Infinity War. Quill pretty much pwned him and came up with an excellent, not-Stark's plan for disarming Thanos. Granted, it was Quill who blew it as well (by going nuts over Gamora), but that wasn't because his plan wasn't better than Tony's.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:08 AM

That's a little unfair, the plan was pretty obvious if you knew what Mantis could do.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
msmith537:

Didn't look that way to me in Infinity War. Quill pretty much pwned him and came up with an excellent, not-Stark's plan for disarming Thanos. Granted, it was Quill who blew it as well (by going nuts over Gamora), but that wasn't because his plan wasn't better than Tony's.
Stark has always been a great engineer but a lousy tactician. Hence this exchange:

Steve: We need a plan of attack.
Tony: I have a plan: attack.

And that's why Cap led the Avengers. He's the man with the plan.

Last edited by Alessan; 05-28-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith537 View Post
Stark's "power" is that he is always the "smartest" person in the room, regardless of if he is on Earth or on some planet with technology millennia ahead of ours where they teach quantum physics in grade school as "shit primitive societies used to believe".
To be fair, sometimes he’s in a room with Doctor Strange.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Stark has always been a great engineer but a lousy tactician. Hence this exchange:

Steve: We need a plan of attack.
Tony: I have a plan: attack.

And that's why Cap led the Avengers. He's the man with the plan.
Why the hell should I take orders from you? (youtube link)
Old 05-28-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkeller View Post
msmith537:

Strange came up with the plan, not Quill. Or at least, he looked to the future and saw what "worked."
Old 05-28-2019, 10:57 AM

Strangely enough, Quill has the exact same quality. He may be an idiot, but he's the idiot who knows what to do in a tight situation.

What can I say? There are different types of intelligence.

Last edited by Alessan; 05-28-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:17 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Indeed there are.

Look at the differences there. Both Stark and Quill have deep faith in their ability to improvise in a situation. Stark because of his intelligence and Quill because of his experience growing up with Yondu and the Ravagers.

Cap, on the other hand, grew up with more discipline and a military background. He's aware of how proper planning and tactics can lead to a better outcome overall. He's constantly trying to find ways to make things work properly for the best outcome.

You can even see that in the final battle scene in the first Avengers. Stark actually encourage Cap to make the call and set up the way in which the Avengers can best use their abilities to control the battle.

Taking that even further - and into questionable ground - one could say that Stark's subsequent character development through his PTSD and need for control in all subsequent movies show him attempting to find ways to plan and prepare in ways he sees Cap doing. But his own personality quirks lead him to overplan and attempt absolute control instead of dealing with the situation as it is found.

Stark is, in the end, a fascist by personality. He's determined the approach he believes is best and is willing to take steps to impose that approach on everyone around him whether they agree with him or not.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simster View Post
Loved that scene, but all it really did was show that Cap could fight, not that his tactical/strategic plans were worth a damn.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalzi View Post
Strange came up with the plan, not Quill. Or at least, he looked to the future and saw what "worked."
When they had gotten their hands on Thanos and had Mantis put him to sleep and were trying to pull off the gauntlet, Starlord claimed "For the record, this was my plan." And none of the other egomaniacs present disagreed with him.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muldoonthief View Post
When they had gotten their hands on Thanos and had Mantis put him to sleep and were trying to pull off the gauntlet, Starlord claimed "For the record, this was my plan." And none of the other egomaniacs present disagreed with him.
I don't think they were really in a position to worry about who's plan it was at the time. Stark's plan was "pin him down and take the guantlet" because .he knew they couldn't beat him. Quill probably threw in "have Mantis put him to sleep."
Old 05-28-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Well, Stark couldn't fix it with the tools he had, but once they were rescued by Danvers (and I'm unclear how she found them, or indeed how she navigates interstellar space at all, but whatever) and returned to Earth, Stark could have patched what needed patching.
She was looking for them. At the end of Captain Marvel, it shows her responding to the beeper, so she finds out that Tony is out there somewhere (maybe a vague idea) and away she goes...
Old 05-28-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folacin View Post
Loved that scene, but all it really did was show that Cap could fight, not that his tactical/strategic plans were worth a damn.
It showed his leadership as well - he stood up as the attackers came in while the others started to dash/run for cover. His fighting was the point. The Cops had just discussed the delay for the national gaurd and "do they know whats happening here?" "do we" and then cap shows up with a plan and the muscle to back it up -
Old 05-28-2019, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
By the way....for anyone who complains that Danvers is OP...there's a certain storyline in the comics that could fix that. Though I doubt Brie will do the role that long.
which is?
Old 05-28-2019, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

A sergeant in motion outranks a lieutenant who doesn't know what's going on.

And a Captain in motion outranks almost everyone. Even, possibly, an ordinance technician at a dead run.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Stark was not able to fix the ship he and Nebula were on at the beginning of the movie (they got a few kiloparsecs out of it, but not enough), but later in the movie, it is fixed, presumably by Rocket.
He said the fuel cells were cracked. I took it to mean they were able to fix it but by that point they were out of fuel.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
who's whooshing who

Oh yeah, I remember that song from the '80s.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:23 AM

All of the speculation about the Snap loss and the five-years-later Return of every living thing that was Snapped-out by Thanos seems to forget that one of the gems in Thanos' replacement gauntlet is the Reality Stone (the transformed Aethir that infected Jane). We never see or hear or read Thanos' exact instructions or thoughts before snaps his fingers; the same is true of Professor Hulk's and Iron Man's usage. All we see is the trigger action* and the apparent results. Regardless of interactions by the Time or Power stones, Banner and Stark need only include a clause like "and everything is okay" in their wish composition to have the Reality Stone just plain make everything okay. And, yes, that's intentionally a pretty broad brush with a lot of magic ink so that, addressing a common example, a remarriage would be nullified and the original couple would be back together and the kid that came out of the remarriage would still be around and, most importantly, everybody would be fine with it because the Red Gem would just plain take care of all those nanoscopic details everywhere.

Like others, I theorize that Thanos was more obsessed with proving his proposal was right and getting the resulting adulation than in helping anyone anywhere. We are not provided with his back-story, but it's apparent he was crazy by the time he even made such a suggestion and the response from officials probably drove him even more insane. We Dopers, those uncredited officials who rejected Thanos' idea, and fans on various other discussion boards obviously thought the idea through a lot farther than Thanos ever did. It's also doubtful Thanos included an "everything will be okay afterward" clause in his command to the collected stones.

As for populations that never understood the Snap nor the Return five years later, well, that sounds like the impetus for a new cult amongst those beings, kind of like the Cargo Cults that sprang up in Melanesia. Some cults fade away, some persist, and some grow into widespread religions. For that matter, I have read some meta-analyses that talk about the Left Behind series as yet-another Christianity-based+ show like Greatest American Hero or Touched by an Angel.

When to take a bathroom break? Maybe when Tony gets Pepper's permission and shows up at Avenger HQ. You know they'll spend a bit of time on development but eventually succeed. Then again, you'd miss the funny trial-runs with Lang. I think the comedic scenes with Lang (and, later, Barton) served two purposes in addition to the comedy:
1) They reminded us that Banner was a bio-medical expert, not a physics/engineering guy
2) They repeatedly showed us that the time machine was a bit difficult to precisely control, even in the hands of the guy who helped make it@
3) They set up the lack-of-surprise when Cap doesn't appear on the (considerably smaller) landing pad where he left. That, in turn, gave us the pleasant surprise of seeing the aged Cap when they had the camera circle around to his face.

And that other Cap, where was she? Remember the end-credits teasers:
--At the end of IW, we see Hill and Fury trying to use the pager. Fury still turns to dust, but we fade out seeing something like "Message Sent" on the pager.
--Near the end of CM, we have a scene where Danvers gives Fury the pager and makes him promise to use it "only in emergencies." Where was she going? Off to intervene in the Skrulls' hunting of Kree refugees -- either by relocating Kree exiles or by stopping the Skrulls who are hunting.
--During the credits after CM, we see Avengers HQ and some talk about replacing the pager batteries once already (with some kind of AC adapter, I guess) and then the device stopping its signal. Suddenly Carol appears behind Nat, surprising her&, and demanding, "Where's Fury?"

And I think that answers the question of how CM found Tony and Nebula. Somewhere in the full story [which the Russo's were kind enough to spare us] from the surviving Avengers, Danvers would learn that Stark (and Strange and Parker) were on the ship with Dark Noseless. We'll have to assume she had knowledge of Titan and "oh...those guys" from her period as a Skrull team member, knew where to go, and headed out as-fast-as-possible in order to arrive just-barely-in-time right in front of a dying Tony. And returning with the ship 'in-tow' would take longer than getting there, thus an explanation of why she took so long to bring it back to Avenger HQ.

And, although it set up a nice way to extend the movie and script, Tony's insistence that he wasn't willing to trade the family he had gained after the Snap for the universe-as-it-was before the Snap felt like a cop-out. Yes, he's saying he loves his daughter very much and wouldn't trade her for the universe. That shows he's progressed considerably from the egotistical genius who built STARK tower in the middle of New York and rings well with audiences. But, honestly, it would have been just as easy to say Tony's dream (which he was telling Pepper just before being summoned by Dr. Strange) was true -- they had conceived a kid the night before and Pepper wasn't even aware of it. They could go through their battles with Thanos, roll everything back to the end of Ragnarok, show Thor and Meek finding a new Planet Asgard, then re-run Mr. & Mrs. Stark jogging through Central Park and talking dreams, this time ending with Pepper saying, "How could you have known that? I only checked the [insert paid sponsor's product name here] results this morning!"

Lastly, if Harley Keener showed up to Tony's funeral, it was probably because he was invited by Pepper. At the end of Iron Man 3, we see that Stark has replaced all of the kid's mundane tools in his shed with state-of-the-art technology. I'd bet he told Pepper to arrange that and she had a team get on it. The kid's address would undoubtedly be in a Stark database somewhere. [I kinda thought the scholarship program introducing Civil War was inspired by the encounter in Tenessee.]

ETA: I've been hoping since the end of Civil War that somebody would have closely analyzed the recordings of the Stark Parents deaths and found an anomaly that proved the Barnes didn't do it and that Cap was just being conciliatory when he said he knew about it -- that the scene was a faked piece spliced in by Zemo. Alas, it was not to be.

---G
* Like someone else suggested, basically a non-accidental action required by the glove so it knows to get involved, thus preventing it from accidentally turning some stray thought (Jeez, I hate these swarms of flies! I wish flies never existed!) into an unforeseen adverse result (Hey! How come there's no chocolate left in the world? Oh, NOOOOOOOOOO!)
+ Trying to present Christianity- or Bible-based themes to the masses without necessarily drenching viewers with holy water.
@ So why is it that Soddom -- er, Nebula -- is able to manipulate it perfectly to pull pre-IW Thanos (and accomplices) forward in time and right above Avenger HQ when she's never even seen it before?
& Really? Our incredible super-spy didn't sense CM's presence first and empty a full clip at Carol before she got a word out? I'm not saying the bullets would have done anything, I'm just thinking there wasn't anything in particular to suggest Danvers' standard-issue uniform or her powers provided a stealth movement mode.

Last edited by Grestarian; 06-03-2019 at 01:25 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:39 AM

Finally saw it his weekend. I liked it, I have no real complaints - except Nat getting fridged so Mohawkeye could get his fucking happy ending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grestarian View Post
Where was she going? Off to intervene in the Skrulls' hunting of Kree refugees -- either by relocating Kree exiles or by stopping the Skrulls who are hunting.
I think you have your Skrulls and your Kree mixed up.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Finally saw it his weekend. I liked it, I have no real complaints - except Nat getting fridged so Mohawkeye could get his fucking happy ending.
How do you figure her sacrifice fit the (somewhat loose) definition of fridging?