Old 09-27-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Ulf, sorry you are going through that, but your comment about keying in π made my day, and my wife's day, too!
Glad you liked it! 😊 thanks for saying so.
Old 09-28-2019, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Just heard my 1984-era celebrity crush Mary Lou Retton do an ad for something menopause related, and in unrelated news, everything sucks and you can all go to hell.

Last edited by JohnT; 09-28-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
I had to put my seventeen-year-old cat down last night. I took him to the vet because he'd been losing weight and not grooming himself lately, but I pretty much knew how it was going to go. Bruno was a brave and beautiful cat who deserves his own thread with pictures and a great eulogy, but I just can't do it. He was my friend.

Not a good week for animals around here...
I'm so sorry.
OTOH, I just spent 7k on my 17 yr. old tabby. Because I am an idiot. He's fine, I'm broke as fuck.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:24 AM

Memo to self: when using a stovetop coffee maker, remember to put water in it, otherwise you set the fire alarm off, melt the handle off the pot and you don't even get any coffee

It's the age old problem of having the brainpower to make coffee before having any coffee...
Old 09-29-2019, 10:19 AM

Ad for a very-early-morning radio program I heard today:
Man: God I need my coffee...
Woman: I hear you, I'm not human before I've had my coffee.
(Pause)
Woman: Do you think this might count as a caffeine addiction?
Man: Yep.
[Name and times for the program]

I think those two may be from your clan, Filbert.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:57 AM

I worked night shift in a coffee shop for about 2 years; their plan to retain staff was basically to give everyone such a crippling caffeine addiction that they couldn't afford to leave and still feed it.

I've managed to get it down to one cup a day now, but I get an all-day headache if I skip that one.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
I'm so sorry.
OTOH, I just spent 7k on my 17 yr. old tabby. Because I am an idiot. He's fine, I'm broke as fuck.
I think you spent 7k to find out you'd do just about anything for someone you care about.

I think that's a good thing to learn about oneself.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:07 AM

Damn Taiwanese and their complete inability to comprehend that somehow the sound blaring from their smart phone doesn't magically only fill their ears without bothering the fuck out of everyone else around.

People watch videos in restaurants without using earphones. What annoyes me the most is when they insist on screaming into their phone on speaker mode with poor connections so the other person's voice crackles in and out.

There are tables in the convience stores where people can sit. It's not a library, so you don't expect complete silence, but good god, why can't people just stop being the center of the fucking universe for one minute? It would be OK if a gentle request would work just they just ignore you.

When I was working freelance teaching, I would carry around a speaker for my music. Eurotechno beat is a fun reminder to people to shut the fuck up.
Old 09-30-2019, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
I'm sorry to hear that, Dung Beetle.
Thank you. I'm doing okay (until I drive up to the house and he doesn't come out to meet me, or I see a shadow in the kitchen out of the corner of my eye, and then I start bawling). But it's what we all have to do someday, when we love a cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
I'm so sorry.
That made me laugh. I should hope your kitty got a few more lives out of that 7K!
Old 09-30-2019, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalexan View Post
Waiting for the blood test results to come back is really, really hard. I'm trying to be patient. I'm trying to not cry at work in front of everyone (I thought work would be a good distraction). I wish we could just know now and I could just get the feelings over with. Do I need to mourn or can I celebrate? Do I need medicine or surgery? Gosh, I just want to make a plan.
slalexan, if you have any updates you would care to share, I would be happy to listen.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
I should hope your kitty got a few more lives out of that 7K!
Mine got 11 happy months for my 6K. I'd do it again for that cat. It's been almost two years, and I still miss him every day.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischievous View Post
slalexan, if you have any updates you would care to share, I would be happy to listen.
The first results came back but it wasn't high enough to suggest they'd see anything on ultrasound. So we had to wait the whole freaking weekend to have a second blood draw to test again. I did that first thing in their office Monday and now it is Tuesday and I am waiting. Still waiting. The waiting fucking sucks. Their office has been open for an hour and a half already. I know that the lab is gonna take as long as they do and then the doctor has to actually see the results and interpret them. But the fucking waiting.

I feel like Schrodinger's cat, in a state of both pregnant and not, happy and sad, both and neither until the damn box is opened.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
The first results came back but it wasn't high enough to suggest they'd see anything on ultrasound. So we had to wait the whole freaking weekend to have a second blood draw to test again. I did that first thing in their office Monday and now it is Tuesday and I am waiting. Still waiting. The waiting fucking sucks. Their office has been open for an hour and a half already. I know that the lab is gonna take as long as they do and then the doctor has to actually see the results and interpret them. But the fucking waiting.

I feel like Schrodinger's cat, in a state of both pregnant and not, happy and sad, both and neither until the damn box is opened.
So sorry. Sounds extremely unpleasant. Hang in there.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The waiting fucking sucks. Their office has been open for an hour and a half already. I know that the lab is gonna take as long as they do...
Damn.

I'm not even remotely Christian, but if there's any book that has helped me, it's C.S. Lewis's Screwtape Letters. There's a really good chapter in there about how humans deal really poorly with uncertainty, and try to prepare themselves for all possible outcomes even though that's clearly impossible. If you step back from the challenge of preparing for the outcomes and tackle the uncertainty itself as today's challenge, I find that really helps.

I know we're moving into a new month's minirant thread, but keep us posted if you can.

Last edited by mischievous; 10-01-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoBayer View Post
Damn Taiwanese and their complete inability to comprehend that somehow the sound blaring from their smart phone doesn't magically only fill their ears without bothering the fuck out of everyone else around.

People watch videos in restaurants without using earphones. What annoyes me the most is when they insist on screaming into their phone on speaker mode with poor connections so the other person's voice crackles in and out.

There are tables in the convience stores where people can sit. It's not a library, so you don't expect complete silence, but good god, why can't people just stop being the center of the fucking universe for one minute? It would be OK if a gentle request would work just they just ignore you.

When I was working freelance teaching, I would carry around a speaker for my music. Eurotechno beat is a fun reminder to people to shut the fuck up.
It's not just Taiwanese. Awhile back I took my granddaughter to Popeye's for dinner. There was a family sitting at the table behind us, watching some stupid Nickelodeon or Disney kids sitcom on their phone at full blast. We wound up moving to a different table so I didn't have sitcom blasting into my ears. I would have said something but I'm sure it wouldn't have made any difference.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Mine got 11 happy months for my 6K. I'd do it again for that cat. It's been almost two years, and I still miss him every day.
Crazy, ain't We? I kept bemoaning the expense, my sister kept saying "oh just shut up & pay it or you will hate YOURSELF forever.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:16 AM

Daughter got engaged a year ago, at a big surprise picnic that the fiancé threw her. College friends came from all over the country, brought games and booze. Went without a hitch. So of course they thought "Hey, this throw-it-together-at-the-last-minute party went great! A DIY wedding will be a breeze!"
SPOILER:
DIY weddings are not a breeze.

The wedding was in a forest, an hour from anything. I was kidding that I'd be spending the week before the wedding making duct tape runs to the nearest store...44 miles away. Well, guess where I was an hour before the wedding, while everyone else was taking pictures? Navigating a big truck down steep winding mountain roads, coming back from an "OMG, it dropped into the 40's, we need a giant tent heater fan" run to the nearest big city, 2 hours away.

On the upside, all those college friends showed up two days early and pitched in, the parents worked late into the night, and we got all the DIY stuff done!

(Stupidly DIY, like "What? Let strangers cook our food? Naah, we can put together a BBQ Friday... and tell ALL the guests to come a day early!" and "Gee, wouldn't it be great to throw a big brunch for everyone the next morning? So we'll need people to party til 2, then get up at 6 to start cutting up melons and vegetables and making omelettes.")
Old 10-02-2019, 06:15 PM

And ps, don't let your daughter know you have letterpress skills.

Man, if she were a client I'd've cleaned up on design/revision charges! Oh, yes, and the mother of the bride realized I was an easy touch for last-minute late night work: "Wouldn't it be nice to have menus printed by tomorrow (for the dinner that isn't decided on yet) on little stands (that aren't figured out yet) around the tables (that aren't set up yet)?"

pps, we got home late last night, but I just spent a whole day all by myself, so I'm doing better.

(Seriously, SO many times during the last sleep-deprived peopled-out week I paused, and pictured myself at our local greasy spoon with a book and a cup of coffee, with earbuds in... and it happened, YAY!)
Old 10-02-2019, 06:29 PM

My roommates did a DIY wedding. They, however, had enough sense to know it would take a lot of planning and spent every weekend for two months before the wedding at the groom's dad's house getting everything ready. They also had it closer to civilization.

I will say, that was the best wedding reception I've ever been to. Potluck dinner and lots and lots and lots of wine. We were dancing and drinking and carrying on till four in the morning.

Last edited by Catamount; 10-02-2019 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Oh right. I don't use HTML tags on this site.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:26 PM
Embracing the Suck
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post

(Stupidly DIY, like "What? Let strangers cook our food? Naah, we can put together a BBQ Friday... and tell ALL the guests to come a day early!" and "Gee, wouldn't it be great to throw a big brunch for everyone the next morning? So we'll need people to party til 2, then get up at 6 to start cutting up melons and vegetables and making omelettes.")
Right there is your main problem ... food prep IN ADVANCE - chop the fruits and veggies and meats as needed, zippy bag/ tupperbox as required, store in coolers with dry ice [you can source dry ice online for your location] think of it as an exercise in meal prep, just not for one person for a week of meals, but one meal for a bunch of people. When prepping for omelette breakfasts out camping at Pennsic for 20 people, one preps by dicing ham, onions, peppers, canned baby potatoes [they come already cooked] tomatoes and anything else you want in an omelette, cracking a few dozen eggs into a mixing bowl, adding a dash of milk, fines herbes and fresh cracked black pepper. With 3 omelette pans heated and swiped with a paper towel with a dab of butter, you use a ladle to put egg in the pan, then you can add diced stuff to order. With practice, you can do 3 pretty much at he same time, and turn out a batch of them every 5 minutes or so. [I personally prefer doing crepes benedict - pre scramble the eggs, pre fry the bacon and make some into crumbles, premake the hollandaise sauce, and as one completes the crepes, you roll the egg and a strip or two of bacon, lay on a plate, every 3 on a plate, dress with hollandaise and bacon crumbles and serve.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
Potluck dinner and lots and lots and lots of wine. We were dancing and drinking and carrying on till four in the morning.
I have always found potlucks when in a comfy location and with amicable people a wonderful way to pass an evening.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post
Right there is your main problem ... food prep IN ADVANCE...
Where were you this weekend?!?

Wish I'd be needing your services in the future. My other kid says they're not doing a "real" wedding; getting married with a couple of friends (in a bar/cafe/art gallery?). Hmmm, hope we're invited...