Old 09-12-2019, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

That reminds me of the only gun that I ever really, really wanted. It was a pristine condition FN C2 7.62 mm with a bipod. I would have gladly bought one if they had let me, but we were in the process of destroying the entire stockpile at the time.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed View Post
First year non-English speaking migrants overwhelmingly vote democrat. This is a statistical fact.
Is it? I thought first-year "migrants" were overwhelmingly Not Yet Citizens with the Right to Vote.

Quote:
How very tolerant and democratic, Mr Democrat.

Brought to you by the same people that want to take your guns and instate red flag laws.

How is it that you clowns canít see that you are everything you dislike in others, only worse.
Quote:
Youíve made some serious judgment leaps about my excellent self.

I donít care about anyoneís skin color or religion, what I care about is a fair playing field, politically, and for my rights, personally, to remain untouched.

Your side openly wants to sway the electorate in their favor by importing votes, and you know it.

Thatís subversion, and pure filth from where I sit. Thatís the lefts whole angle.

And yes, youíre a bigot. This is simple fact. Now, where we differ is that I donít personally give a fuck, but to call me one is quite funny. There is nothing wrong with stopping illegal immigration, focusing on citizens over ďmigrantsĒ and spending our nations treasure on our own citizens.

You are on the fringe, not me.
You do realize you surrender copyright protection when you post at SDMB? I will be reposting your messages under the HashTag #You_thought_American_wingnuts_were_dumb?THEY'RE_EVEN_DUMBER_THAN_THAT!!!

I apologize to all for reading some of Annoyed's posts. I don't think it will happen again.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Donald Trump did about as much to get himself where he is as Queen Elizabeth did.

But he's not doing as good a job of it.
Not quite. Both had a certain status thrust upon them at birth. Trump wasn't born into the presidency.

Again, thinking this is just a fluke and he is an imbecile that will eventually be his own downfall is just asinine thinking at this point. I thought for sure he'd be an ineffectual president, at best, unable to negotiate with either side and the Senate would band together to assert their power and independence from the Executive branch. I thought they'd have a common enemy. But Trump has figured out how to split the legislative branch and keep them infighting, which keeps him in power.

He is a worthless leader, but he is just good enough at riling and instigating that he could get to and stay in power. The Queen never had to do any of that.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmosdes View Post

He is a worthless leader, but he is just good enough at riling and instigating that he could get to and stay in power. The Queen never had to do any of that.
If the Queen started doing any of the crazy shit that Trump does, she would have been moved out of her position pretty darn smartly. There are ways.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Iíd vote for satan himself over where the current left wants to steer the nation.
You'd vote for eternal damnation for all mankind over everyone having affordable health care?

Strange.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
If the Queen started doing any of the crazy shit that Trump does, she would have been moved out of her position pretty darn smartly. There are ways.
what ways are you envisioning that Trump be moved out? There are 4, none of which are presently showing any signs of happening any time soon.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Iíd vote for satan himself over where the current left wants to steer the nation.
That's hardly surprising; the Right wants to cause as much evil and suffering and destruction as possible, it's only natural that Satan would make a good fit for them. His main drawback from a right-wing point of view is that he's supposed to be highly intelligent, while the Right idolizes stupidity.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson1972 View Post
You'd vote for eternal damnation for all mankind over everyone having affordable health care?

Strange.
Yeah, but it'd be so worth it just to watch libs' heads explode!
Old 09-12-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
what ways are you envisioning that Trump be moved out? There are 4, none of which are presently showing any signs of happening any time soon.

I said, IF THE QUEEN ...."

I did not say "TRUMP SHOULD BE..."

I'm not envisioning any way Trump be moved out, because your system of governance is fucked, your electoral process is fucked, and I'm afraid that when the history of the USA is written 100 years from now, this decade will be the one that historians say is the decade where you fucked yourselves.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
Heh. You'd have a tough time finding "right wing" immigrants from most other countries who wouldn't be way left of the Republicans on a lot of issues.
In order to find a country with a reliably right wing population I think your looking at places like Saudi Arabia, and Taliban controlled sections of Afghanistan, North Korea,. But somehow I don't think that those are the sort of places he had in mind.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
In order to find a country with a reliably right wing population I think your looking at places like Saudi Arabia, and Taliban controlled sections of Afghanistan, North Korea,. But somehow I don't think that those are the sort of places he had in mind.
Heh again: even fundamentalist, no-full-suffrage-for-women Saudi Arabia is far to the left of the US Republican Party on some issues such as universal health care, and has less restrictive abortion laws than Alabama. Similarly, North Korean labor laws mandate paid maternity leave and other protections for working mothers that would have most American rightwingers spluttering in indignation (not to mention the de facto economic dominance of women in N. Korea due to draconian restrictions on men's eligibility for paid labor). Even the brutally oppressive Taliban is more supportive of contraceptive use than many US conservatives!

The modern US rightwing movement is truly sui generis in today's world. Even the most backwards repressive anti-modern regimes on earth can be counted on to have some areas where their policies are less regressive than those of many American conservatives.

Last edited by Kimstu; 09-12-2019 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Ok, statistically, how do people from south of the border vote?

First year non-English speaking migrants overwhelmingly vote democrat. This is a statistical fact.

You may have good intentions (doubt it) but your politicians donít, and they know exactly what they are doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Try2B Comprehensive View Post
If we accept this as true, the million dollar question is: what prevents the GOP from appealing to these voters and padding their own base with them?
Annoyed: answer this.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
So we agree. A chimp couldn't be where Trump is and never will be.

Trump, not the dozen other candidates in 2016, rode the machine to victory. You admit it was Trump that succeeded where others failed.

But again, you are focusing on the process by which he got there. This isn't about that. This is about the fact HE IS THERE. Trump can act with impunity. He lives a life of luxury. Whatever method got him there, he is there. And every move he makes, no matter how dumb the rest of us think it is, does not seem to be bringing him down. He has a powerful shield around him in Mitch and Barr and a weak speaker in Pelosi who doesn't have the fortitude to do anything about him.

You can keep waiting for his next action or next step to bring him down. But nothing so far has done that and it is looking less and less likely to do so. He can do what he wants. He knows it. You can't deny that, no matter how he got there.
Nobody has said otherwise. Why do you feel the need to create this strawman?

All people have said is that Trump isn't winning. People have made it clear what they mean by this. Trump won the presidency, but hasn't accomplished much else. So he's not "winning" by their definition. Not losing is not the same as "winning."

You keep saying that, if he wasn't Trump, we'd call him a successful president. I argue the exact opposite: if he wasn't Trump, you wouldn't see what he's accomplished as being remotely successful.

You're just crafting semantic arguments. Those are fucking stupid. Both sides agree that Trump is dangerous. Both sides agree that Trump has currently avoided the consequences. It is fucking stupid to keep debating over whether the word "winning" is appropriate.

All you are doing is manufacturing disagreement where there is already consensus. And fighting Trump needs us to work together, not tearing each other apart.

Last edited by BigT; 09-13-2019 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Iím ok with all immigrants, as long as they follow immigration laws.
ALL POSSIBLE RESPONSES TO "THEY SHOULD GET IN LINE AND DO IT THE RIGHT WAY, THE WAY MY FAMILY DID," WITH CITATIONS
Old 09-13-2019, 04:23 AM

Quote:

Strange.
If it was just a simple matter of healthcare and nothing else, Iíd vote for healthcare.

But itís not.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest-starring: Id! View Post
Annoyed: answer this.
Any maneuver right now is too late. The left has made the illegal immigrant vote one of the foundations of their long term plan, and it should have never happened.

But thatís just how sleazy they are. Canít capture the white vote? Import brown votes to offset them. Can win with the electoral college? Remove it. Need more congressional representation? Include illegal aliens & jam refugees in certain districts.

All the while blocking voter ID laws and screaming about gerrymandering.

Itís fucking filth, pure and simple, and people who knowingly support it as a way to sway the electorate are towing a line thatís real close to treason.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:43 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Any maneuver right now is too late. The left has made the illegal immigrant vote one of the foundations of their long term plan, and it should have never happened.

But thatís just how sleazy they are. Canít capture the white vote? Import brown votes to offset them. Can win with the electoral college? Remove it. Need more congressional representation? Include illegal aliens & jam refugees in certain districts.

Itís fucking filth, pure and simple, and people who knowingly support it as a way to sway the electorate are towing a line thatís real close to treason.
Care to back up any of these lies?
And it's toeing the line, you moron.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Care to back up any of these lies?
And it's toeing the line, you moron.
Oh noes, the grammar police.

My back-up are the Democrats themselves. They apparently can do whatever the fuck they want with the electorate with impunity as long as they donít say it out loud.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:03 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:

My back-up are the Democrats themselves. They apparently can do whatever the fuck they want with the electorate with impunity as long as they donít say it out loud.
Apparently you can't back up your statements.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:06 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Apparently you can't back up your statements.

You misspelled evidently.

Brought to you by your friendly Spelling & Grammar Cop.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:08 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:

That's not grammar. That's spelling.
As far as doing what he wants with impunity, look at the shit Trump does(and try not to drool while you're at it). And the blatant hypocrisy of the GOP as they fight for space around Trump's rectum.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Is it? I thought first-year "migrants" were overwhelmingly Not Yet Citizens with the Right to Vote.

There is only one program I know of where a first-year immigrant gets to vote. That is only after they avail themselves of the Expeditious Naturalization Program. Under the ENP, when the resident alien family member's sponsor takes a posting overseas with the federal government, the resident alien family member will be naturalized immediately and then must accompany their sponsor at the overseas posting. The vast majority, of course, of those getting naturalized this way are family members of our service members. You know those folks, right? They're the ones Trump and the GOP are fucking over at the exact same time they pretend to help, honor, and practically worship teh Armed Forces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
That's not grammar. That's spelling.
As far as doing what he wants with impunity, look at the shit Trump does(and try not to drool while you're at it). And the blatant hypocrisy of the GOP as they fight for space around Trump's rectum.

I don't think he's drooling, although he is a moron. I think he's probably creaming.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
If it was just a simple matter of healthcare and nothing else, Iíd vote for healthcare.

But itís not.
I see. How about you pick one thing from the Democratic Party Platform and discuss how you think it's worse than eternal damnation for all mankind?
Old 09-13-2019, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Heh, it's like a response one might give to a claim that "under God" was put in the Pledge of Allegiance by Jesus himself.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:

Pretty sure it's not. You might be upset at all the nasty things the mean old Democrats in your head are doing, but upsetting you is not a crime.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I see. How about you pick one thing from the Democratic Party Platform and discuss how you think it's worse than eternal damnation for all mankind?
I already told you if it was only about healthcare, I’d be all for it. But it’s not.

Your party leaders are openly campaigning on literally taking citizens rifles, by force if needed.

Eternal damnation it is. I’d rather see a crater where DC used to be before voting for a tyrant and a tyrannical party.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:00 AM

That article was so good I literally bought a subscription to the guy's newsletter. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2019, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I already told you if it was only about healthcare, Iíd be all for it. But itís not.

Your party leaders are openly campaigning on literally taking citizens rifles, by force if needed.

Eternal damnation it is. Iíd rather see a crater where DC used to be before voting for a tyrant and a tyrannical party.
When "your party" is also in agreement with one aspect of the issue, one has to conclude that you are an ignoramus.

https://www.apnews.com/7d707cbd788e4b71b426780b4825dd88
Quote:
Family members and police routinely face agonizing decisions when otherwise lawful gun owners reveal an impulse to harm themselves or others, and more states are enacting laws that let authorities take away their weapons.

With bipartisan support in many cases, 17 states and Washington D.C. have now passed ďred flag lawsĒ that allow the court-ordered removal of guns from people who are considered to be dangerous. The back-to-back shootings that killed 31 people this month in Texas and Ohio have given new momentum to proposals pending in several other states and to a plan in Congress to provide grant money to states that adopt such measures.

In a rare victory for gun control advocates, the laws have spread since the February 2018 shooting that killed 17 students and staff members at a high school in Parkland, Florida. New Yorkís new law took effect Saturday while New Jerseyís begins Sept. 1. The proliferation of such laws comes despite opposition from gun rights activists and others who say the measures go too far.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I already told you if it was only about healthcare, Iíd be all for it. But itís not.

Eternal damnation it is. Iíd rather see a crater where DC used to be before voting for a tyrant and a tyrannical party.
The alternative isn't eternal damnation, it's fascist buffoons who are fucking your country seriously up for personal gain. That's when they're not stuffing kids into concentration camps where they can encourage flu epidemics.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:12 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I agree. Excellent, informative, and witty. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Nobody has said otherwise. Why do you feel the need to create this strawman?

All people have said is that Trump isn't winning. People have made it clear what they mean by this. Trump won the presidency, but hasn't accomplished much else. So he's not "winning" by their definition. Not losing is not the same as "winning."

You keep saying that, if he wasn't Trump, we'd call him a successful president. I argue the exact opposite: if he wasn't Trump, you wouldn't see what he's accomplished as being remotely successful.

You're just crafting semantic arguments. Those are fucking stupid. Both sides agree that Trump is dangerous. Both sides agree that Trump has currently avoided the consequences. It is fucking stupid to keep debating over whether the word "winning" is appropriate.

All you are doing is manufacturing disagreement where there is already consensus. And fighting Trump needs us to work together, not tearing each other apart.
You are flat out wrong. This isn't a semantic argument. Politics is a competition between groups of people that both want to be in power. You would hope both parties want what is overall best for the country, but that is not guaranteed.

Re-read the OP. I can find dozens of articles that talk about Trumps bumblings, failings and cluelessness and how he is going to be the architect of his own downfall. The last 3 years, and to a certain extent his entire life, have shown that just isn't going to happen. So, despite all the claims that he is a moronic clown who eats crayons, there he sits, in the presidency, immune from facing any consequences to anything he does. That isn't a semantic definition of winning in terms of politics. That is flat out winning. He is playing the game against the entire Democratic party and he is untouchable.

If you want to semantically define winning to mean his policies are bad for the US, go head. Trump won't care. He is enriching himself and his family and no one can stop him.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Any maneuver right now is too late.
Pretty well the only thing half-sensible thing you've said so far.

Quote:
The left has made the illegal immigrant vote one of the foundations of their long term plan, and it should have never happened.
Nope. Immigrants have made the left the foundation of their long term plan, considering the right has become too racist for them.

Quote:
But thatís just how sleazy they are.
Project away from all your awesomely, weaselly, trocky self.

Quote:
Canít capture the white vote?
Can't capture the white nationalist vote?
There - FTFY.

Quote:
Import brown votes to offset them.
Um, the intent is sanctuary from unlivable situations where the migrants came from.

Quote:
Can win with the electoral college? Remove it.
Pretty weaksauce trolling if you feel the current state of the electoral college is still a legitimate enterprise.

Quote:
Need more congressional representation? Include illegal aliens & jam refugees in certain districts.
Riiiiiight, sorta like what President Annoyed On Kneepads For Trump had hoped to do.

Quote:
And more shittier-than-fuck trolling if you think voter ID laws do not disenfranchise minority communities. Sure, democrats gerrymander too, but nowhere near to the grotesque extent that the GOP has, which I know you know.

Quote:
Possibly some of the most gregioiusly hypocritical "badly in need of a mirror" horseshit I've read in a while.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tooth View Post
Pretty sure it's not. You might be upset at all the nasty things the mean old Democrats in your head are doing, but upsetting you is not a crime.

It's not a crime. It's effortless.

Quote:

And Trump is not a tyrant? Hah!
Old 09-13-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
This doesn't make you look intrepid or principled: it just makes you look openly delusional.

The real-life choice is not between "tyranny" and "a crater where DC used to be", much less "eternal damnation". The realistic choice is between

a) somewhat more humane, representative, and fiscally responsible politics-as-usual, with some slight bipartisan-supported increase in gun control, under the Democrats; and

b) increasingly irresponsible and destructive flailing that destabilizes the economy, sabotages foreign relations, and infringes the rights and undermines the wellbeing of Americans---with some slight bipartisan-supported increase in gun control---under Republican Trumpism.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaj View Post
That article was so good I literally bought a subscription to the guy's newsletter. Thanks!
So did I! Nice work there.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
This doesn't make you look intrepid or principled: it just makes you look openly delusional.

The real-life choice is not between "tyranny" and "a crater where DC used to be", much less "eternal damnation". The realistic choice is between

a) somewhat more humane, representative, and fiscally responsible politics-as-usual, with some slight bipartisan-supported increase in gun control, under the Democrats; and

b) increasingly irresponsible and destructive flailing that destabilizes the economy, sabotages foreign relations, and infringes the rights and undermines the wellbeing of Americans---with some slight bipartisan-supported increase in gun control---under Republican Trumpism.
I just read some twitter drama with Beto and Swalwell, Beto stating (and selling merch with the same slogans) that heís gonna take our guns. Another politician chimes in and states he can come get his, and they both dog piled and stated this politician is the reason we need fucking red flag laws, and that Beto is gonna report him to the damn FBI.

So Beto is gonna take our guns, and if we dislike it, he would red flag us and report it to the god damn FBI.

They are, quite literally, asking for and pushing for a war.

Quite possibly the most infuriating political exchange Iíve seen in a while, and quite tyrannical.

What you type, and what the reality of what they want to do, and would do given the chance, is drastically different. Tyrannical.

And would no doubt kill thousands and thousands of otherwise law abiding Americans & create hundreds of Wacoís and Ruby Ridges.

The left wasnít even this open about it in the events preceding the first AWB, and there are millions more guns and thousands more militia members.

But hey, you guys go for it. Push this noise front and center and wonder why Trump wins.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

There was no mystery to Trump's win and why he might win again, just disappointment in the failings of America.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
There was no mystery to Trump's win and why he might win again, just disappointment in the failings of America.
Failings of the Democrat Party is more accurate.

They lose and will very likely lose again to an orange man with a retarded comb-over who talks like a complete moron.

What does that say about the other party? All they have to do is not be tyrants and fake, pandering psychos and they canít do it.

And the cats out of the bag. They had 2 years to get a plan together and what do they do? Go even more extreme left.

Say what you want about Trump but youíre REALLY shit if youíre losing to the guy.
Old 09-13-2019, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Democrat Party?
Old 09-13-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I just read some twitter drama with Beto and Swalwell, Beto stating (and selling merch with the same slogans) that heís gonna take our guns. Another politician chimes in and states he can come get his, and they both dog piled and stated this politician is the reason we need fucking red flag laws, and that Beto is gonna report him to the damn FBI.

So Beto is gonna take our guns, and if we dislike it, he would red flag us and report it to the god damn FBI.
Cite, though? What exactly is the phrase "take our guns" being used to mean in this context?

If Beto or any other politician is using it to mean "summarily taking away all legally-owned guns from everybody", that's flat-out unconstitutional as the 2nd Amendment currently stands, and the vast majority of Americans (including me) would oppose it. It's not going to happen, realistically speaking, and no politician with any hope of actually being elected would seriously propose it.

If, on the other hand, it just means "slightly increase restrictions on the types of guns that can be owned or eligibility for owning a gun", that's not necessarily unreasonable or unconstitutional. If elected legislators have the support of their constituencies for enacting such measures, well, that's part of the principle of majority rule in a republic. Gun owners should recognize and accept the ups and downs of (legal and constitutional) majority rule, rather than throwing tantrums about alleged "tyranny" any time a law is passed that they don't like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annoyed
If gun owners are willing to make the enactment of some additional constitutional and legal restrictions on gun ownership an excuse for literally starting a war, that's on them, not on the politicians or voters supporting such restrictions.

If you're saying "Any attempt to make gun ownership even slightly more restricted in any way is an intolerable act of oppression against gun owners, and I intend to respond to any such restrictions, however legally and constitutionally enacted, with armed and violent resistance", then your political opponents are not the ones looking tyrannical and bloodthirsty here.

If you are responding to proposed legal and constitutional restrictions on gun ownership with raging aggressive rhetoric about how you'll refuse to comply with any such restrictions even if it means starting a god-damned war or whatever, I can see how the FBI would consider it reasonable to red-flag you.

On the other hand, if you make a reasonable case why you think a particular proposed legal and constitutional restriction on gun ownership would be a bad idea, while at the same time as a law-abiding rational gun owner you acknowledge you need to comply with legal and constitutional restrictions even if you don't like them, then you'll be more likely to get moderate gun-ownership supporters like me defending your position.

But if you're simply raging that you're going to go to war if anybody does anything that could be remotely interpreted as "taking your guns" in any way, no matter how legally and constitutionally, then you come across as paranoid and dangerous. I'm not gonna defend that.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Elizabeth II hasn't had to do it. But as I noted, she's doing a good job.

But several of her predecessors were removed from office: Harold II, William II, Edward II, Richard II, Henry VI, Richard III, Charles I, James II, and Edward VIII.

Only one of Donald Trump's predecessors was removed from office; Richard Nixon.

So I'd argue that an American President is more secure in his office than a British monarch is. That indicates that staying in office for a full term is no great accomplishment as it's pretty much automatic.

As for getting elected, what was Trump's big accomplishment there? Trump was the Republican candidate and in our political system, he was guaranteed to be in one of the top two spots after the general election. He came in second place - and was then given the Presidency anyway. How is that an accomplishment for him?

So how did Trump become the Republican candidate? By beating the likes of Ted Cruz, Ben Carson, Chris Christie, and Rick Santorum. The Republican Party has been reduced to the point where they only offer bad choices. And Trump was the worst choice so he won.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Democrat Party?
It's what some young children and adults whose language and cognitive skills haven't fully developed call the Democratic Party.

It's sort of endearing, like "wawa" for "water," or "MAGA" for "I have a large fecal impaction where my brain ought to be."
Old 09-13-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
But several of her predecessors were removed from office: Harold II, William II, Edward II, Richard II, Henry VI, Richard III, Charles I, James II, and Edward VIII.

Only one of Donald Trump's predecessors was removed from office; Richard Nixon.
I think you've got a time span problem with that comparison. Plus, Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley and Kennedy were removed from office, very similarly to how several of the monarchs listed were (maybe all except Edward VIII? - too lazy to look it up).
Old 09-13-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:

This is some pretty tough talk when support for the Rs is below 40%, they won the presidency with minus 5 million votes, lost big in the midterms, R congressional leaders are retiring left and right, and Trump polls unfavorably against all D comers.

The illegal vote a foundation of their long-term plans? A desperate, last-gasp maneuver? Hardly. Have you considered that these people have been coming for decades, independently of US politics, for reasons grounded in their countries of origin?

As for Congressional representation, your quarrel is with the Founders- they set the census rules to count all residents (excluding Indians I think), citizen or not. That you want to backwards-engineer the existence of immigrants into a sinister political scheme masterminded by tyrannical Ds involving the migration of millions or foreigners is a testament to your paranoia more than anything.

Tell you what- try and stop immigration. Oh yeah, your guys are in power and are doing just that. Let's see, an asinine wall that won't work. A national racism media blitz accompanied by a modern day concentration camp program that is succeeding in making all non-rednecks recoil in horror. Conspiracy theories. Nice job.

But that's all beside the point. I just want to know why the GOP doesn't appeal to this looming new constituency. The votes are up for grabs, you just have to persuade them. Too late, you say? Well, there has not been any mass naturalization program, quite the opposite, and so to date these "illegals" can't vote, and so I don't know what you are talking about. It is almost never too late in politics.

Care to take another swing? We're in a country of immigrants with democratic principles. Majority rules yada yada. Why can't the GOP win over these voters?
Old 09-13-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
Defying congressional subpoenas requires resolution through the courts; this takes time. There is an abundance of chickens coming home to roost re: Trump that may not be readily apparent due to Congress coming off a lengthy summer break.
Yeah, but once any lawsuits come before a judge that was appointed by the Chosen One (including the supremes), it will be handwaved away with a decision that Republican presidents (definitely not Democratic ones) donít have to provide legally requested info or respond to legal subpoenas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
What, specifically, is he winning? The only thing I can think of is getting elected and getting attention. He's failed spectacularly at most of his policies. I mean, not just "we came close but Congress resisted." I mean the trade war is a disaster, Mexico isn't paying for the wall, there isn't even a wall, Obamacare is still around and most of his braintrust isn't, etc.
Obamacare is pretty well gutted and is on the precipice of being totally repealed in The Chosen Oneís legal system. (Democrats have not publicized this enough or pointed out why some states donít even have the Medicaid expansion, BTW.)

TCO is lucky in that he has the perfect combination of other republicans in power to cover him and maximize what he is doing, esp old cocaine huffing Mitchy. Plus he grew up wealthy and therefore had access to mechanisms to make himself well known even though he has never done anything actually worthy. Yes, he manipulated a corrupt system that was designed by and for people like him to gain even more power. If I had his resources I could probably do that too. Just appear in front of the paparazzi a lot over the years and then run for president while saying lots of outrageous things.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

A war that monsters like you will lose.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019...-red-flag-laws
Quote:
A Fox News poll released Tuesday revealed that 90% of Americans support background checks for firearms, including 89% of Republicans, while 81% of Americans and 75% of Republicans support red flag laws. And a sizable number of Republicans even support more extreme measures, as 42% favor a ban on assault weapons. (Sixty-seven percent of Americans favored an assault weapons ban overall, up from 60% in March 2018.)
Old 09-13-2019, 01:44 PM
Entangled
Charter Member

Dear Mr. Annoyed,

I am annoyed that you waited two years to post to this board after registering. All those missed opportunities to make me laugh were lost forever. Oh, what might have been!

That said, your recent efforts are doubleplus good and have brought me great mirth. Thank you for taking the time to make me chuckle.

I look forward to laughing at you again.

Fondly,
Mr. Gauss

Last edited by KarlGauss; 09-13-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:

They lose and will very likely lose again to an orange man with a retarded comb-over who talks like a complete moron.

What does that say about the other party? All they have to do is not be tyrants and fake, pandering psychos and they canít do it.

And the cats out of the bag. They had 2 years to get a plan together and what do they do? Go even more extreme left.

Say what you want about Trump but youíre REALLY shit if youíre losing to the guy.
So after a severe storm a car is drving down the road and comes to a fork. There is a big sign with flashing lights that reads "Bridge out Road closed Detour to the left" Next to it is a man in a jump suit with "Don's Autobody" emblazoned on the back holding up a sign that says "Fake news, Free candy! Turn right!". When the car turns right and ends up in the river, it may be the fault of the driver or it may be the fault of the autobody worker, but its not the fault of the guy who put up the Detour sign for a failure to advertise free candy.

Its the fault of the Repubican party.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 09-13-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:

Damnation for all mankind for eternity is better than you going a few short years on this earth without a gun.

Sure, I guess I can see that
Old 09-13-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
As for getting elected, what was Trump's big accomplishment there? Trump was the Republican candidate and in our political system, he was guaranteed to be in one of the top two spots after the general election. He came in second place - and was then given the Presidency anyway. How is that an accomplishment for him?
This argument is tiresome. Trump did not come in second place. This is exactly akin to saying that Football Team A did better in every measurable category against Team B except for the only one that matters, the score. Trump ran an election to get himself elected based on the system that was in place. Not only did he beat Cruz, Carson, et. al, he also beat Hillary in the only measurement that matters. No one cares that you think the popular vote matters. The laws of this country do not care one whit about that. He won in the only category that matters.

And we keep circling back to the same point. Check.the.fucking.scoreboard. Until you find some way to argue against the fact he is president, sitting with effective impunity, your argument that he isn't winning this battle is inane. He survived the Mueller probe. He has beaten (for now, at least) the efforts to get his tax records. His poll numbers are steady in the ~40% range, which while pretty pathetic, show his base is still supporting him. He paid off a stripper/prostitute and STILL is favored by the religious right. Every.single.senator that has stood up to him is now gone or a huge supporter (see Graham, Cruz).

Go ahead and call all his supporters blind, dumb, asinine, clueless, or whatever you want. But he still has them and as such he still has the senate protecting him and Barr to block all other avenues to stop him. A politician, holding the office every other politician is prostituting themselves to hold, and holding it with the total immunity from any repercussions for any actions, openly and blatantly (and legally) pocketing millions in tax payer dollars, is winning.