Old 08-17-2018, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

And from the " Slut-Shaming Is The Way We Live, Deep In The Heart of Texas " Department...

When a Middle School in Houston's public school district sees fit to adorn the walls with this missive aimed squarely at the girls in the building, you know just how things go down there.

In Texas, where girls are apparently sluts and need to be reigned in. Just for, yanno, existing.

The kicker is that this is a direct quote from infamous Mayflower Madame, Sydney Biddle Barrows.

Shame the fuck on you, Houston Public Schools.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:26 PM

I...

...jesus.

Fuck Texas, for real.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

That cannot be for real.

Can it?
Old 08-17-2018, 09:58 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta View Post
That cannot be for real.

Can it?
It is. The school district confirmed it.
From the link.
Quote:
everal Twitter users claimed the quote was photoshopped but Beckman responded saying it was real, tweeting more high resolution shots of the quote.

A couple of hours later, HISD confirmed the photo was in fact real when the district sent a statement to KHOU 11 News Friday afternoon.

“The quote does not align with HISD values, and it will be taken down.” the statement read.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
It is. The school district confirmed it.
From the link.
Yeah, I read it. My question was rhetorical.

What the fuck is the world coming to?
Old 08-17-2018, 10:12 PM

Da'fuck?!?

I am writing a letter to someone.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

In a world where our president grabs women by the crotch I think this issue here is not really worth getting all hysterical about.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
In a world where our president grabs women by the crotch I think this issue here is not really worth getting all hysterical about.
That man is temporary; the way boys and girls learn how to grow up and behave as men and women lasts for the rest of their lives. Yes, dammit, this is important!
Old 08-17-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
I saw what you did there.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartooniverse View Post
When a Middle School in Houston's public school district sees fit to adorn the walls with this missive aimed squarely at the girls in the building, you know just how things go down there.

In Texas, where girls are apparently sluts and need to be reigned in. Just for, yanno, existing.

The kicker is that this is a direct quote from infamous Mayflower Madame, Sydney Biddle Barrows.

You know, Miller recently bombarded you with one of the most thoroughly vile, contempt-filled, profanity-ridden flames I have ever read on these boards. While I found it to be impressive in its comprehensiveness, I still saw it as being a bit over-the-top.

But if I ever see you use "reigned" in place of "reined" again, I shall be forced to reconsider that assessment.

I'm off to read your link now, and I expect to share your disgust.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 08-17-2018 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:57 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
You know, Miller recently bombarded you with one of the most thoroughly vile, contempt-filled, profanity-ridden flames I have ever read on these boards. While I found it to be impressive in its comprehensiveness, I still saw it as being a bit over-the-top.

But if I ever see you use "reigned" in place of "reined" again, I shall be forced to reconsider that assessment.

If you think about it, it makes a weird sense. The whole idea was to bring girls "under control". So even if Cartooniverse made a mistake, it sot of wasn't.

This time.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:02 AM
Charter Member

Christ.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
So I’m assuming the genius who came up with the idea to enshrine this quote in a school setting isn’t a “family values” type of person, right? If they’re endorsing a quote from a known sex worker, I’d imagine they’re sex positive and support sex ed, reproductive rights and women doing as they please with their bodies, correct? Because otherwise this glaring contradiction makes no fucking sense.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:12 AM

It's Texas. God first, HUSBAND second, children next... I think women caring about themselves is somewhere down the list, right after praising Douche L'Orange and forgiving the husband's homosexual "curiosity" he had last week and bashing any of them there queeries.

This is how family values are taught and this is what the nation needs, according to the GOP.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
If you think about it, it makes a weird sense. The whole idea was to bring girls "under control". So even if Cartooniverse made a mistake, it sot of wasn't.

This time.
No. "Reined in" means "under control." "Reigned in" means "time period when a monarch held dominion over a region (e.g. King Ruprecht reigned in the twelfth century)."

Sometimes it means the actual region (King Ruprecht reigned in Sorrento.)
Old 08-18-2018, 12:45 AM
Charter Member

Did anyone watch the TV video in the link? The news program reporting on the 'quote' ran a poll asking viewers whether they agreed with the sentiments expressed.

28% disagreed.

72% agreed with the quote.

Fuck....and yeah, I know it's not a formal poll and one can't necessarily draw any conclusions from it, but still.

Fuck.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Aside: Which reminds me... he's a phony mod with a fake sig right? Because after reading that he's on the ignore list, his warnings especially. I copied it so whenever I see a warning by him, it's pasted as a response to whatever he is trying to say. I urge everyone else to ignore and call for his banning Even saying that to posters like Will Farnaby would constitute a lashing, or rape with a cactus, the fat kind. /Aside
Old 08-18-2018, 01:07 AM

I would really, really, really like to know why apparently everybody on this board thinks that children should behave like boors and barbarians, instead of behaving like ladies and gentlemen.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
I would really, really, really like to know why apparently everybody on this board thinks that children should behave like boors and barbarians, instead of behaving like ladies and gentlemen.
Is that what you interpreted from the quote emblazoned on the locker-room wall? Is that it?

Old 08-18-2018, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andros View Post

I...

...jesus.
Use your words!

Quote:
Fuck Texas, for real.
There they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
Aside: Which reminds me... he's a phony mod with a fake sig right? Because after reading that he's on the ignore list, his warnings especially. I copied it so whenever I see a warning by him, it's pasted as a response to whatever he is trying to say. I urge everyone else to ignore and call for his banning Even saying that to posters like Will Farnaby would constitute a lashing, or rape with a cactus, the fat kind. /Aside
Wait? I'm not sure what I'm reading. Are you saying Miller is a fake mod?
Old 08-18-2018, 01:29 AM

OK, I'm as appalled by the quote as anyone, but the district has already said it doesn't reflect their values and will be coming down asap, presumably before the kids even step foot back in the school for the year. Not really seeing the need for hair-pulling outrage here. It was probably one employee who thought it was a good idea, maybe with a glancing approval of the principal distracted by the early-August Texas heat.

Yes, bad idea for an inspirational quote.

And yes, even better move by the district to take it down. The end.

Right? What the heck am I missing here? Why is everyone so pissed?

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 08-18-2018 at 01:31 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Uh, you do know you can't ignore a mod, right? Go ahead. Do it and you'll find out how "fake" Miller is.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:53 AM

Besides, Ed's old Pit rules have fallen by the wayside. There are no longer any restrictions against saying "Fuck you."
Old 08-18-2018, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Are you saying Miller is a fake mod?
No, you fucking goat felcher, have you taught your children that yet?, seeing as how you are such a responsible parent as to let your children read curse laden posts, like the fucking retarded love child of two fucking retarded love children that you are, which I highly doubt, Dio, you retard, Fake is a miller Mod.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:24 AM
Charter Member

Are you saying that Octopus is DtC Drunky?????

No way. Really?? Nah, no way, you're drunk.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:29 AM

Quote:
I would really, really, really like to know how you could possibly come up with that interpretation?
Old 08-18-2018, 03:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

That's 11 miles from Clothahump's dojo. Just sayin'.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
No, you fucking goat felcher, have you taught your children that yet?, seeing as how you are such a responsible parent as to let your children read curse laden posts, like the fucking retarded love child of two fucking retarded love children that you are, which I highly doubt, Dio, you retard, Fake is a miller Mod.
You off your meds again?

Seriously? And these stupid so-called sock allegations are silly. PM a mod with all your and Morgenstern's, where has that goofy sob been?, so-called proof on your allegation and do something. Or shut up.

And regarding my children, I'm not sure why you feel the need to bring them up. Have you any children Drunky? Do you have anyone to mourn you when you finally OD on whatever it is that has your mind so scrambled?

Potty mouth.

Last edited by octopus; 08-18-2018 at 03:12 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
That's 11 miles from Clothahump's dojo. Just sayin'.
Maybe Humpy did it himself, knowing it would end up here for discussion.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:17 AM

Quote:

And regarding my children, I'm not sure why you feel the need to bring them up. Have you any children Drunky? Do you have anyone to mourn you when you finally OD on whatever it is that has your mind so scrambled?

Potty mouth.
Because you're the one who was dumb enough to use them as an excuse to try and shame everyone for using language you don't like. It's not our responsibilty to raise your kids. Dumbass.

Go fuck yourself with a rusty chainsaw.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
I would really, really, really like to know how you could possibly come up with that interpretation?

He’s a radical reactionary. When it suits his purposes, no middle is so fallacious that he won’t leave it unexcluded.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 08-18-2018 at 03:25 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia View Post
Because you're the one who was dumb enough to use them as an excuse to try and shame everyone for using language you don't like. It's not our responsibilty to raise your kids. Dumbass.

Go fuck yourself with a rusty chainsaw.
How about no!

Listen here, Guinny, such obvious "fishing" for a potty mouth specifically for you is not how this works. I am insulted!!! that you think I am so easily manipulated. Do I look like I just fell off of the pickle boat?

It's late here and I almost missed the part about "not our responsibility." Yes. Yes. Come to the conservative side.

Last edited by octopus; 08-18-2018 at 03:24 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:25 AM
Charter Member

C'mon folks, don't let the resident troll/s derail this thread.

Please? Just let them talk into a vacuum...that way the topic stays conversation-worthy and doesn't degenerate into an Octoturd side-show.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:26 AM

Quote:
C'mon folks, don't let the resident troll/s derail this thread.

Please? Just let them talk into a vacuum...that way the topic stays conversation-worthy and doesn't degenerate into an Octoturd side-show.
"Them?" I'm not plural.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
How about no!

Listen here, Guinny, such obvious "fishing" for a potty mouth specifically for you is not how this works. I am insulted!!! that you think I am so easily manipulated. Do I look like I just fell off of the pickle boat?

No, you look like you just got picked up off the ice at a Penguins game...

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 08-18-2018 at 03:32 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:46 AM

Quote:
No, you look like you just got picked up off the ice at a Penguins game...
Those are some barbaric people. I tell you, in all seriousness, humans aren't the only species on the planet that need to be treated with respect.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:50 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

I just learned something interesting: octopus isn't on everyone's ignore list. Why not? I mean, you folks seem like intelligent people.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
I just learned something interesting: octopus isn't on everyone's ignore list. Why not? I mean, you folks seem like intelligent people.
I don't have anyone on an ignore list Monty. Doesn't mean I can't ignore them anyway.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
OK, I'm as appalled by the quote as anyone, but the district has already said it doesn't reflect their values and will be coming down asap, presumably before the kids even step foot back in the school for the year. Not really seeing the need for hair-pulling outrage here. It was probably one employee who thought it was a good idea, maybe with a glancing approval of the principal distracted by the early-August Texas heat.

Yes, bad idea for an inspirational quote.

And yes, even better move by the district to take it down. The end.

Right? What the heck am I missing here? Why is everyone so pissed?
The article covers it fairly well: the quote implies that if boys don't act like "gentlemen" it's because girls haven't acted like "ladies". It places the entire onus for boys' behavior on girls, when boys are responsible for their own behavior. This is a very, very, very old idea (Adam and Eve, for example) and people are tired of it, and feel that schools should not perpetuate it.

I'm off to find the Miller post.

Last edited by Sunny Daze; 08-18-2018 at 04:03 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:06 AM

I don't have an ignore list either. I can scroll. Like when you just see the letters: Forthing... (scroll, scroll, scroll, almost over, scroll, scroll, next poster)
Old 08-18-2018, 04:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
The article covers it fairly well: the quote implies that if boys don't act like "gentlemen" it's because girls haven't acted like "ladies". It places the entire onus for boys' behavior on girls, when boys are responsible for their own behavior. This is a very, very, very old idea (Adam and Eve, for example) and people are tired of it, and feel that schools should not perpetuate it.
I think what Happy meant was that the school has denied they support the message and is going to remove it, so why all the fuss here.

BUT, my response to that is that how the fuck did the school admin NOT know about the message in the locker-room in the first place. And I would suggest it would still be there in all its glory had someone not taken a pic and plastered it on social media platforms.

Cowardly fucken hypocrites.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:22 AM

Quote:
I think what Happy meant was that the school has denied they support the message and is going to remove it, so why all the fuss here.

BUT, my response to that is that how the fuck did the school admin NOT know about the message in the locker-room in the first place. And I would suggest it would still be there in all its glory had someone not taken a pic and plastered it on social media platforms.

Cowardly fucken hypocrites.
Ah, fair enough. For myself, while the school district may be covering its ass frantically at the moment, the school put that statement up. It was authorized and paid for. Fuck them. They earned this and hopefully they are under a microscope for long enough to enact some positive change.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:05 AM

Could someone share the quote? "You're not authorized to see this".

ETA: found it. "The more you act like a lady, the more he'll act like a gentleman." Because yeah, how men behave is totally the responsibility of women. The line would be bad even if it wasn't said by a madame about johns.

Last edited by Nava; 08-18-2018 at 05:07 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
I don't have an ignore list either. I can scroll. Like when you just see the letters: Forthing... (scroll, scroll, scroll, almost over, scroll, scroll, next poster)
Ok, that explains the "Ignore" part. It doesn't explain urging us to "call for his banning". He is a good mod. I think occasionally that side of him comes out because his social circle are in the Alt-Left. If you don't know about them, The Last Supper is a 1995 film which exposed what the end game of the Alt-Left was going to be. After that they mostly laid low for two decades.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:41 AM

Can't quote Warm blood who said: "So I’m assuming the genius who came up with the idea to enshrine this quote in a school setting isn’t a “family values” type of person, right?"

I would bet you are right. I bet it was decided to be put on the wall by one of those "likes to vociferously CLAIM to be" a family values type of person.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
/// Well, those women must not have acted like ladies, or otherwise Trump would have treated them like a gentleman. ///
Old 08-18-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Ah, fair enough. For myself, while the school district may be covering its ass frantically at the moment, the school put that statement up. It was authorized and paid for. Fuck them. They earned this and hopefully they are under a microscope for long enough to enact some positive change.
Yes, I agree the message is absolutely disgusting and inappropriate for anywhere, let alone a middle school.

But chances are, it's already been painted over. Now the story doesn't seem to mention how long the quote's been there. I, perhaps mistakenly, thought it was just put up this summer, maybe when someone came through and spruced the walls up a bit. Like I said, maybe I'm wrong about that and it's been there for the past 10 years or more. In which case, I'll say "Wow, that's pretty fucked up of the school to do."

ETA: Just found another story that clarifies that the quote's been up for 5 years. So: Wow, that's pretty fucked up of the school to do.

Last edited by Happy Lendervedder; 08-18-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Please accept my apologies in this regard. What I meant to write was

" It's Raining Men. Hallelujah It's Reigning Men. "

Old 08-18-2018, 11:08 AM
Ice Bear, Honey Bear.
Charter Member

Like I needed a reason besides the traffic to hate Houston.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Are you saying that Octopus is DtC Drunky?????

No way. Really?? Nah, no way, you're drunk.
Think about it, what did Dio always do? Come in to a thread and turn it around to make the thread all about him and be contrarian to everybody.

That's exactly what octopus does.

Quote:
You off your meds again?
Joke's on you eyeball face I'm not on any meds.

Quote:
Seriously? And these stupid so-called sock allegations are silly. PM a mod
I'm not doing your dirty work for you. You PM a mod.

Last edited by Drunky Smurf; 08-18-2018 at 10:37 PM.