Old 09-14-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Another (pretty weak) example of what I'm thinking about is Raymond's obsession with The People's Court in Rainman, which does slightly shape the plot. TV series and not movie, but same general idea
I saw Judge Wapner on Larry King live and he mentioned he got paid for Rainman using his name. I don't know if that is common practice since he was not shown in the movie.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:41 PM

If I'm correct, the OP is asking for a movie in which 1) a character or characters actions are determined or influenced by an existing movie and 2) it is even more on target if the characters watch or imagine scenes from that movie.

If that is right, then one movie not mentioned yet (or maybe I missed it in a long list) is Sleepless in Seattle, where both sides of the romance talk about (and one side watches) An Affair to Remember.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

It's been a long time since I watched Throw Momma From The Train, but is Strangers On A Train mentioned directly, or is it just a spiritual remake?
Old 09-14-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
It's been a long time since I watched Throw Momma From The Train, but is Strangers On A Train mentioned directly, or is it just a spiritual remake?
Billy Crystal’s character actually referes DeVito to watch Strangers On A Train, believing that DeVito is just interested in writing about murder, Instead, DeVito gets it in his head to kill Crystal’s estranged wife, expecting in exchange that Crystal will kill his overbearing mother. Other than that, the plot and resolution don’t have much to do with the inspiration.

Stranger
Old 09-14-2018, 11:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peccavi View Post
If I'm correct, the OP is asking for a movie in which 1) a character or characters actions are determined or influenced by an existing movie and 2) it is even more on target if the characters watch or imagine scenes from that movie.

If that is right, then one movie not mentioned yet (or maybe I missed it in a long list) is Sleepless in Seattle, where both sides of the romance talk about (and one side watches) An Affair to Remember.
On a related note, not looking at a real movie, but at a recreation of many adventure-comedies of the 20-30s: The Purple Rose of Cairo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLC_hRDO7Hk
Quote:
The scene is a small town in the mid-1930s. Trapped in a dead-end job and an abusive marriage, Cecelia (Mia Farrow) regularly seeks refuge in the local movie house. She becomes so enraptured by the latest attraction, an RKO screwball comedy called The Purple Rose of Cairo, that she returns to the theatre day after day. During one of these visits, the film's main character Tom Baxter (Jeff Daniels), pauses in his dialogue, turns towards the audience, and says to Cecelia, "My God, how you must love this picture." Then he climbs out of the movie, much to the consternation of the rest of the audience and the other characters on screen.

Last edited by GIGObuster; 09-14-2018 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

1979’s A Little Romance features as one of its youthful protagonists, a French boy who has (among other qualities), an obsession with the film Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:59 AM

Gods and Monsters was about the making of Frankenstein.

Lovelace was about the making of Deep Thrpat.

I could name a bunch of movies about the making of actual/renamed TV shows, like Hollywoodland and My Favorite Year, but that wasn't really the question.

Last edited by Horatio Hellpop; 09-15-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:11 AM

There was a movie about a man obsessed with the films of Georges Méliès, but I can't remember the details. It was maybe a decade ago.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
There was a movie about a man obsessed with the films of Georges Méliès, but I can't remember the details. It was maybe a decade ago.
Are you thinking of Hugo?
Old 09-15-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Are you thinking of Hugo?
Yes, that's it!
Old 09-15-2018, 03:02 PM

Any Jean Luc Godard fans here?

He made a film about the making of a film: Godard's Passion.

Earlier this year there was a film about him making a film: Godard Mon Amour.

Unfortunately the movie within the movie in the second one isn't the first movie.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
"Sleepless in Seattle" is about a woman who is inspired by the movie "An Affair to Remember" to meet a guy at the top of the Empire State Building.
It's the scene with Tom Hanks and Victor Garber "tearfully" reminiscing about The Dirty Dozen that puts me on the floor every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Heck, throw in Free Enterprise about a couple of Star Trek uber fans who get to meet and hang out with William Shatner.

You know it's utter fiction because one of them, despite being marginally employed, is shown (sometimes in flashback) as having dated/bedded at least five absurdly hot women. Granted, the movie is set in Los Angeles, which acts as a hottie gravity well, but geez.....
One of my good friends is that guy to about six decimal places. Okay, he'd never blow his rent money on an action figure of Isis from 1974, but other than that...