Old 11-19-2016, 10:52 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Butt-Hurt Trump Takes to Twitter Again

Story here and here.

Pence attended a showing of Hamilton last night, where he was roundly booed by the audience and rightly lectured by the cast. Then Trump tweeted to demand an apology from the cast.

We need an omnibus Trump Tweet thread for the next four years, so this is it. He's simply an embarrassment to America. Hopefully the human filth that voted for him will start to notice that, but I doubt it.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:56 AM
BANNED

And another butt-hurt liberal whine is posted.....
Old 11-19-2016, 11:00 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
Trump was the one whining. Even wants a safe place.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:02 AM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
Being more presidential than Trump myself, I won't take to Twitter because of some troglodyte Texas Republican.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 11-19-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Maybe conservatives need a trigger warning on the playbill: "This show may feature themes of inclusion and diversity. Attend at your own risk!"
Old 11-19-2016, 11:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Maybe conservatives need a trigger warning on the playbill: "This show may feature themes of inclusion and diversity. Attend at your own risk!"
Or allow them use of the cry rooms.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:38 AM

Now, now. The show is called Hamilton, how was Mike Pence supposed to know it would be about politics? Next time he'll buy tickets for a "safe space" show like Oklahoma!

Last edited by SaharaTea; 11-19-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaharaTea View Post
Now, now. The show is called Hamilton, how was Mike Pence supposed to know it would be about politics? Next time he'll buy tickets for a "safe space" show like Oklahoma!
Well, he will be VP to the Curry With The Wig On Top.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I can't believe Trump actually used the phrase "safe space", which is anathema to his supporters. Comedy gold!
Old 11-19-2016, 11:49 AM

The cast member was so outraged that he had to read his rant from a card.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

My guess is that Pence, who is a professional politician and understands this is normal, is embarrassed by Trump's tweet.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
The cast member was so outraged that he had to read his rant from a card.
Trump uses tele-prompters. Can't even stick to subject. No control. Sad!
Old 11-19-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
My guess is that Pence, who is a professional politician and understands this is normal, is embarrassed by Trump's tweet.
True, but he's in for a world of embarrassment over the next 4 years!!
Old 11-19-2016, 12:03 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
True, but he's in for a world of embarrassment over the next 4 years!!
Or for however long it takes the Republicans to figure out how to dump Trump.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
You're assuming that Pence is capable of human emotions.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:14 PM

Something tells me this guy is going to have a tough time being one of the most divisive people in American history.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
We need an omnibus Trump Tweet thread for the next four years, so this is it. He's simply an embarrassment to America. Hopefully the human filth that voted for him will start to notice that, but I doubt it.
No, we don't need a Trump Tweet thread. In fact, that is exactly the opposite of what is needed. Glorifying and validating Trump by focusing on his spastic stream-of-consciousness ejaculations of narcissistic rage is just giving him, and the people who love on him as their proxy for being able to spew hateful, angry rhetoric on the Internet like an infant spitting out strained peas all of the kitchen. Not only do we not need a thread, the media needs to stop reporting on his tweeting entirely and start doing serious, detailed, round the clock coverage on just how radically unqualified and abnormally dangerous his key advisors and appointments are, and how his actions are going to hurt the very people who voted for him the most, with pictures of dancing kittens and strippers if that's what it takes to get attention. Stop giving free media attention and the very kind of public outrage that Trump feeds on, and start making him angry enough until he turns into the Orange Hulk and bursts through the windows of his own building, waving his tiny fists in revealinglay impotent rage.

Stranger

Last edited by Stranger On A Train; 11-19-2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:28 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Sure thing. I'll just bury my head.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:34 PM

OK, so Pence got an earful from the cast. That's a lot better than what Lincoln got the last time he attended a play.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

I understand the emotion behind this. But I fear this sort of thing causes more harm to us liberals than good.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
OK, so Pence got an earful from the cast. That's a lot better than what Lincoln got the last time he attended a play.
*Applause*
Old 11-19-2016, 12:39 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
I am so using this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
I understand the emotion behind this. But I fear this sort of thing causes more harm to us liberals than good.
See post #18.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 11-19-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Do I think the theatre is an appropriate place to do this? No. Would I have done the same? Probably.

And I am so using the Lincoln Line.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
You, being the magnificent bastard that you are, have just won the internet for the remainder of 2016.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Do I think the theatre is an appropriate place to do this? No. Would I have done the same? Probably.

And I am so using the Lincoln Line.
Considering the topic of the play, and Trump's disdain for the Constitution, I thinks it's more appropriate than most performances.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

El_Kabong, that was brilliant.

And come on, Donald -- the man who has built his whole schtick on that he never backs down or apologizes and he stands by what he said and who cares if it upset you, is demanding apologies? Oh sure, EVERYONE ELSE is rude and unfair, YOU just tell it like it is. Hairball.

A good political leader would use this as an opportunity to respond with something that adds up to "yeah, I know you are scared, but believe me, you'll be surprised how great it's gonna be for you, you'll see". Instead we get someone who is not at all embarassed to be seen punching down.

The "hush, you should not say that, people will be upset!" argument did not work against him or his followers. There is no reason for his opposition to be the ones who submit meekly to it.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Sure thing. I'll just bury my head.
Not "bury your head"; stop focusing on his trivial offenses with no real lasting impact and turn a shining light on his more abominable actions with horrifying long-term consequences. During this campaign, the media gave Trump a virtually free platform, to the tune of an estimated US$2B, to espouse racist, isolationist, hateful rhetoric in exchange for the recreational outrage of being able to laugh at a clown who is so spitefully petty that he's maintained a grudge to a beauty pagent contesistant and he can't help but respond to a satirical allegation about the size of his hands that has been running on approaching three decades. Guess who got the better side of that deal? In fact, it's probably the best actual deal Donald Trump has ever made. Sure, it's hard to find something substantive to say about a candidate so superficial and desultory as Trump, but even when the media had stories of genuine substance such as Trump harassing black residents or boasting of sexually molesting women, they carried them for a few days, relying on the outrage factor of being able to say "pussy" on air (or tap dance in amused perfunctory prurience around it), and then moved on to the next bizarrely inappropriate but inconsequential Twitter message or vacuous campaign pledge to do something mildly outrageous.

The real horror of this entire election has been the normalization of deviance; the things no candidate short of a radical white nationalist movements should be able to espouse without retreating into hiding in a small Caribbean nation from public shaming became the background noise to Trump's daily antics and fretting over Clinton using a private email server when it is plain that a large number of legislators and officials frequently email sensitive and FOUO information to their Yahoo! and Gmail accounts like they're sending recipies to their in-laws. The truth is that nearly half of the people who turne out to vote elected a loud-mouthed blowhard who demonstrated zero intent or aptitude to actually following through on the hollow promises and bombast that shat out of his mouth faster than diarrhea from a night of binging on Taco Bell specials, and the opposing main candidate was so poorly received that people literally couldn't decide against voting between her or a reality show figuring dipped in Nacho Cheese Dorito crumbs.

In a normal election you have two (or occasionally three) candidates who are critical of each others policies, prior performance, and character to uphold the duties of the office, but never in living memory has a candidate openly leavied unshrouded insults, vengefully threatened repercussions upon taking office, or transparently suggested that his followers should assassinate the opposition. Even if you distrusted or hated Hillary Clinton for any of a number of valid, exaggerated, or totally manufactured reasons, the fact that Trump resorted to this behavior in the course of a campaign, and even in the middle of what was supposed to be a policy debate, this is unacceptable behavior by someone seeking the office of municipal dog catcher, much less President of the United States.

This is not normal. This is historic abnormality in the making. It's the kind of gross abnormality that gets mentioned in history texts right before a nation goes completely fucking off its rocker and starts killing its own citizens or annexing other nations because it wants a better view. The resigned acceptance of this behavior and of Trump's "tear down the system" rage-making as being somewhere on the spectrum of things that sometimes happen in a democracy because employment/trade agreements/corrupt banks/whatever is not remotely normal. But by turning away from this behavior and the tacit approval of the Republicans who gathered behind him (and from whom he stole nearly the entire rhetoric from whole cloth, only saturating it with lighting fluid and setting it aflame), and focusing on whatever stupid or offensive thing that Trump tweeted out to the world while taking his 3:40 AM dump, makes it all seem about equivalent in significance and impact.

Every news story about Donald Trump for the next four years (or however long he remains in office) should start with the words, "This is not normal! (Apologies to John Oliver for stealing his new catchphrase.)" and followed by a detailed examination of how Trump blatantly reneged on some promise to bring jobs or build infrastructure, or how he has issued an executive order in clear violation of Constitutional rights or how he has used his position to increase his personal and family wealth. It shouldn't be about which beauty pagent contestant or talk show host he said something mildly offensive about, or how he plans to redecorate the White House in gilded gold, and it sure to fuck shouldn't be about his latest nearly incoherent Twitter war with a comedian or singer. Doing mildly offensive amusing things to keep the outrage meter pegged so that when something actually worthy of outrage comes along (as it inevitably will on a regular basis) is doing a grave disservice to the principle of informing the public about things they actually need to know to make informed decisions.

Oh, and they also need to stop giving a fuck about Kanye West, too, and any other celebrity who decides to take a ride on the recreational outrage profit train. If you ignore the trolls, they will eventually get bored and go away.

Stranger

Last edited by Stranger On A Train; 11-19-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:40 PM

Is it not like, really really embarrassing for a country to have its president constantly posting drivel on Twitter like some stupid little child?
Old 11-19-2016, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Not any worse than it was, nor will be.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Go ahead, Donald. Pick a fight with Aaron Burr. What's the worst that could happen?
Old 11-19-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketybuck View Post
Is it not like, really really embarrassing for a country to have its president constantly posting drivel on Twitter like some stupid little child?
Wait until he discovers Dubsmash. And then realizes that he's not nearly as popular on it as celebrities in Marvel films who actually have a greater net worth than him.

Stranger
Old 11-19-2016, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger On A Train View Post
Every news story about Donald Trump for the next four years (or however long he remains in office) should start with the words, "This is not normal! (Apologies to John Oliver for stealing his new catchphrase.)" and followed by a detailed examination of how Trump blatantly reneged on some promise to bring jobs or build infrastructure, or how he has issued an executive order in clear violation of Constitutional rights or how he has used his position to increase his personal and family wealth. It shouldn't be about which beauty pagent contestant or talk show host he said something mildly offensive about, or how he plans to redecorate the White House in gilded gold, and it sure to fuck shouldn't be about his latest nearly incoherent Twitter war with a comedian or singer. Doing mildly offensive amusing things to keep the outrage meter pegged so that when something actually worthy of outrage comes along (as it inevitably will on a regular basis) is doing a grave disservice to the principle of informing the public about things they actually need to know to make informed decisions.
I disagree. Sure, Trump's policies are wrong and it's important to keep pointing that out. But a lot of people ignore policy issues. So we also need to shine a light on Trump's character flaws.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I disagree. Sure, Trump's policies are wrong and it's important to keep pointing that out. But a lot of people ignore policy issues. So we also need to shine a light on Trump's character flaws.
They like his character flaws.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:16 PM

By all means, let's focus on his attitudes toward women, his willingness to throw in with open racists, his vengeful spite toward real and perceived enemies. But following his tweets as if there is any new information to be divined from them is an exercise in angst fatigue. Trump is going to do enough stupid and avaricious things in his first three months to dwarf the administrations of the last forth years combined, and maybe Nixon, too. Focusing on when get makes a tweet about how his VP was treated by the cast of a Broadway musical just reinforces the notion that he's not one of the "establishment elites". In terms of how the people who voted for Trump will think, it's a net positive. The best possible thing to do is deny him that exposure, and focus on the actually shitty things he is almost certainly going to do that have real, lasting consequences.

Stranger

Last edited by Stranger On A Train; 11-19-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:20 PM

How in the hell did Trump ever express himself before Twitter? I bet he left little passive-aggressive sticky notes all over the place.

Dishes in the sink are dirty, Sad.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

If he washed a dish in his life, I'll eat it.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:31 PM

I think it was very rude of them.

I agree with what they had to say but that is not the time or place.

He paid to watch a play and relax. He did not pay for being subjected to a public berating (no matter how gently worded.)

I don't like anything I have heard of Pence but I think it showed character that he stopped to listen.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke N. Destroi View Post
I think it was very rude of them.

I agree with what they had to say but that is not the time or place.

He paid to watch a play and relax. He did not pay for being subjected to a public berating (no matter how gently worded.)

I don't like anything I have heard of Pence but I think it showed character that he stopped to listen.
It didn't happen DURING the show. It happened at the curtain call. And the cast, prior to the statement made, told the audience not to boo him. It was respectful and dignified, much more so than Pence or Trump have been this entire campaign.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Bravo.

I suggest we don't need a "Trump Twitter" thread - the "Stupid Trump Idea of the Day" thread will do, until something astonishing happens and Trump starts using twitter to say things that are intelligent rather than just reactionary, self-pitying and/or asinine.

And his use of "safe space" sounds like what Orwell described as an aspect of Newspeak - words that can praise a friend or scorn an enemy, depending on context, like blackwhite or duckspeak.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketybuck View Post
Bastard keeps adding me on snapchat.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
It didn't happen DURING the show. It happened at the curtain call. And the cast, prior to the statement made, told the audience not to boo him. It was respectful and dignified, much more so than Pence or Trump have been this entire campaign.
Yup. The audience was a bit rude but shut up when the play started. The cast's statement was written--so they'd put some thought behind it. No bad words, or anything. And Pence was leaving the room at the time--with his SS (Secret Service) escort. So he probably didn't hear most of it.

Hamilton has been a hot ticket for some time now. During its Off-Broadway tryout & especially while the original cast played on Broadway. Public figures of all sorts have managed to attend the play--even Cheney. But Donald Trump, so rich & connected he could command excellent seats, never took the time. I doubt he has sufficient attention span to watch a play.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
Bravo.

I suggest we don't need a "Trump Twitter" thread - the "Stupid Trump Idea of the Day" thread will do, until something astonishing happens and Trump starts using twitter to say things that are intelligent rather than just reactionary, self-pitying and/or asinine.

And his use of "safe space" sounds like what Orwell described as an aspect of Newspeak - words that can praise a friend or scorn an enemy, depending on context, like blackwhite or duckspeak.
Duckspeak is only used in the context of an echo chamber.
Old 11-19-2016, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Duckspeak is only used in the context of an echo chamber.
Although it is only used in that way in its single reference in the novel, it is explicitly described as dual-purpose:
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
"There is a word in Newspeak," said Syme, "I don't know whether you know it: duckspeak, to quack like a duck. It is one of those interesting words that have two contradictory meanings. Applied to an opponent, it is abuse, applied to someone you agree with, it is praise."
Syme was describing the speech of a man at a nearby table, whose voice was intruding on the conversation between Syme and Smith.
Old 11-19-2016, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Read it so long ago, don't remember, all I recall is light, cheerful tone of it. But "duckspeak"? That's a good one!
Old 11-19-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
It doesn't matter. The fact is that it was rude and out of place.

No different than if Pence, at the end of the play, had heckled them. He was there as a paying audience member, he was not their to receive a once-sided rehash of the stuff he gets in his day to day job.

Again, I agree with what the cast member said, but this place would break limbs leaping over one another in outrage had Clinton won and gone to a play and been treated to an out of place lecture (no matter how short or kindly worded) about her politics.

No problem with the message itself - but the time and place were wrong.

And somehow, "Please don't boo the guy that we're about to single out for ideological criticism during this politically tense and testy time." almost seems like priming the pump.

Last edited by Zeke N. Destroi; 11-19-2016 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

My, you are looking for dark undercurrents, aren't you? Sure, they pretend to be quiet and respectful, but they are really looking to provoke anger and fury. Kinda subtle for Americans, don't you think?

'Course, I live in Baja Canada, so maybe I should watch out for these people! They pretend to be bland and civil, but maybe they seethe with murderous rage!

Last edited by elucidator; 11-19-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

See post #18.

You think maybe there's someplace in between burring your head and coming off distasteful at inappropriate times to get a perfectly valid point across? And do you think maybe it's this sort of "justified" attitude that has alienated so many people from the left?

Have you taken away any life lesson from this last election? Or do you prefer to keep your eye's closed with your fingers stuck in your ears, because hey, you know you're fucking right?

There's a lesson of humility to be learned here. And if you don't learn that lesson, you're no different from the very people you hate.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke N. Destroi View Post
It doesn't matter. The fact is that it was rude and out of place.
Maybe, but if Pence can't handle it, he should resign.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:56 PM

This is not an original comment, but anyways: aRepublican heckled Obama during a *joint session of Congress*, and was made into a folk hero. Michelle Obama and Jill Biden were booed at a NASCAR event (to nothing more than eye-rolls from the left). Trump better grow a thicker skin, and fast (Pence, I suspect, knows how to take this).
Old 11-19-2016, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raygun99 View Post
Trump better grow a thicker skin, and fast (Pence, I suspect, knows how to take this).
It's another reason Trump's complete lack of public service makes him unsuited to the job - a corporate boss can fire people he doesn't like (and surround himself with sycophants), while anyone in government has to learn coping mechanisms, including how to deal with people who will always say you're screwing up, even if you're not.

Trump's campaign had a few moments here and there where he had to shut up and take criticism. I gathered he viewed this as some sort of injustice.