Old 08-18-2019, 04:25 PM

In blue Seattle, Trump supporters are starting to come out of hiding

Here's something I never expected to see.

Quote:
Whatís interesting isnít so much that this one local rich guy decided to stop worrying and go full Trump. Itís that heís hardly alone.

The latest federal-election reports show that Trump is doing surprisingly well getting backers in this bluest of blue places. With nearly 15 months to go before the 2020 election, he already has drawn more donations from Seattle addresses than he did during the entire 2016 campaign.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...out-of-hiding/
Old 08-18-2019, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

I'm not sure what is terribly noteworthy about this. Trump received just under 22% of the vote in King county in 2016, over 200,000 votes. That doesn't exactly make Trump supporters vanishingly rare in Seattle - if you live there you're likely to know some personally( whether you are aware of it or not ). Heck Trump even got ~10% of the vote in indigo-blue San Francisco.

No modern community larger than probably a hundred or so people is 100% anything. Is anybody shocked Clinton got over a third of the vote in Dallas?
Old 08-18-2019, 04:47 PM

Republican billionairre supports Republican. Holy moly at 11.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Republican billionairre supports Republican. Holy moly at 11.
I never expected to see THAT! Mind blown!
Old 08-18-2019, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

There's a nationwide trend that the counties with the largest numbers of Trump voters are also the counties with the highest proportions of Clinton voters. Big cities just have lots of people, of every political stripe.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Interesting that 40% of Trump donors in Washington donated in 2017 or 2018. Kind of throws off a comparison to Sandersí fundraising in 2019 only, not to mention that Dems in Washington will likely be contributing to 20 different candidates, just as Rís in Washington were donating to a dozen indifferent candidates. Rís this year, no matter which state, are only going to be donating to Trump (sorry Bill Weld).
Old 08-18-2019, 09:34 PM

The larger question you ignore, why would they have to hide in the first place? Perhaps, you have an explanation why, those supporters are worried about violent attacks against them? I could post videos but, why bother. You can google too.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:37 PM

Why would any Precinct have 100% for any candidate? Other than fraud, that is. We have seen Precincts with 110% of registered voters voting 100% for Obama. How many precincts had 100% for ANY Republican?
Old 08-18-2019, 09:52 PM

Oh have we? Do these precincts have names? Do tell!
Old 08-18-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempe Jeff View Post
Why would any Precinct have 100% for any candidate? Other than fraud, that is. We have seen Precincts with 110% of registered voters voting 100% for Obama. How many precincts had 100% for ANY Republican?
Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:00 PM

110% of voters, voting 100% for Obama, I mean I am bad at math but still a little confused by this.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The larger question you ignore, why would they have to hide in the first place?
As a Seattle-adjacent person, I can field this one. The answer is as follows:

Because if you live in this city - this culturally diverse salad bowl that calls people of all nations its home, where you can find a restaurant serving any kind of national cuisine as easily as you can find a 7-Eleven; this captain of industry that builds the machines that carry people to all corners of the world; this digital playground that connects people across thousands of miles; this beacon of creativity which has enlightened generations with its music; this sanctuary that welcomes all and gives every person who dwells within it the inalienable right to be who they want to be - and you support Donald Trump, then you are a goddamn tool.

Last edited by Smapti; 08-18-2019 at 10:21 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
The larger question you ignore, why would they have to hide in the first place? Perhaps, you have an explanation why, those supporters are worried about violent attacks against them?
Most of them are probably just worried that they'd lose business through customers' non-violent and legal choices to stop patronizing them. Of course, information about political campaign donors is already publicly available. But Trump donors in general doubtless figure, not without reason, that if they keep their Trump support on the down low then most of the public is unlikely to go to the trouble of looking up their donation history.

Last edited by Kimstu; 08-19-2019 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
I ain't needed to read no words since I learnt to google fer videos.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quoth Tempe Jeff:

Perhaps, you have an explanation why, those supporters are worried about violent attacks against them?
Oh, that's easy. Trump supporters are worried about violent attacks because they're the sort of person who thinks everyone is as violent as them. Or at least, as violent as they would like to be, if they weren't also cowards.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:52 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

The Moderator Speaks

Enough with the hijack on violence. Stick to the topic.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Chance View Post
Enough with the hijack on violence. Stick to the topic.
I don't think violence is a "hijack", though - the thread is about why Trump supporters in Seattle felt the need to hide, and violence - or the fear of violence - is a perfectly logical reason to hide.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:42 AM

I'm not quite getting the point of this thread. Is the OP trying to make an argument that Washington state is going to make up for losses of Trump voters in places like Michigan, Pennsylvania and maybe Texas(!), that the polls are wrong (again), or what?
Old 08-19-2019, 10:46 AM

The point of the op though is that donations are up. That makes sense. There are a fair number of 0.1%ers there. In 2016 they may not have been sure that Trump would help them gain more power and a larger share of the pie. Now they are more sure. Any of the top D contenders will undo some of what Trump has done of that. That cannot be allowed by them to happen whatever the cost to society or the world at large.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
I'm not quite getting the point of this thread. Is the OP trying to make an argument that Washington state is going to make up for losses of Trump voters in places like Michigan, Pennsylvania and maybe Texas(!), that the polls are wrong (again), or what?
I think his point is that Trump supporters are getting bolder, or, getting revved up for 2020 even though they are still in deep-blue turf in Seattle.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

But thereís also something really weird about Trumpís campaign: heís raised $126 million since inauguration, but spent $75 million. He seems to be tapping out big donors and spending money on... crap.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
But thereís also something really weird about Trumpís campaign: heís raised $126 million since inauguration, but spent $75 million. He seems to be tapping out big donors and spending money on... crap.
Might be the rallies. No president has been doing campaign rallies for reelection as soon/early as Trump has.

Speaking of which, is POTUS (not just Trump, but Bush, Obama, etc.) allowed to use Air Force One for personal reelection campaigning travel purposes, unlimited?
Old 08-19-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
There's a nationwide trend that the counties with the largest numbers of Trump voters are also the counties with the highest proportions of Clinton voters. Big cities just have lots of people, of every political stripe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamerlane View Post
I'm not sure what is terribly noteworthy about this. Trump received just under 22% of the vote in King county in 2016, over 200,000 votes. That doesn't exactly make Trump supporters vanishingly rare in Seattle - if you live there you're likely to know some personally( whether you are aware of it or not ). Heck Trump even got ~10% of the vote in indigo-blue San Francisco.

No modern community larger than probably a hundred or so people is 100% anything. Is anybody shocked Clinton got over a third of the vote in Dallas?

Right, but the OP-linked article wasn't about how many Trump voters there are in Seattle (there would be over 20%, of course,) but rather that Trumpers are becoming more publicly open about it.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:50 AM

Yeah a silly thesis. Publicly open because they made itemized donations that donít allow not saying who is donating?

This is a polarized time. Lots donating to Dems running to be president in 2020 (divided up among many) and lots donating to the GOP presidential nominee (divided up among the one).

Nothing there that supports more are more open about it. Reporting a donation is not advertising it.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:53 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Yeah. The article is silly on its face. He’s President. That normalizes donating to him. He’s also the only real R to donate to.

The author should be embarrassed.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:09 PM
Mod Rocker

Quote:
I don't know where your 110% claim comes from, but the 100% for any candidate is easily recognized. Thanks to gerrymandering at the precinct level, there are precincts in several places where the supporters of various candidates have been sequestered in single precincts. A race in which multiple precincts all voted 100% for a single candidate handing that candidate the election would be quite suspicious. In an election in which a few scattered precincts voted 100% one way, the only fraud is the probability that the state legislature set it up that way to keep all of their opponents "locked" into a single precinct with negligible results.
Old 08-19-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post

Speaking of which, is POTUS (not just Trump, but Bush, Obama, etc.) allowed to use Air Force One for personal reelection campaigning travel purposes, unlimited?
When Trump does it, it's because he is bring the True American Voice to the people, and showing them how to be proud. For Trump is the Only True Leader, and a Great Statesman.

If Obama, BushII, Clinton, BushI, Reagan, Carter or Ford had done this, it would have been an insult to the good people of this country and a reason to impeach.

Simple, really.

Last edited by Euphonious Polemic; 08-19-2019 at 02:13 PM. Reason: added a bush
Old 08-19-2019, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Rich guy votes for politician who transferred a big chunk of his tax burden down onto the penny stinkards! Film at 11!
Old 08-19-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
Not at all, Most likely a lot of the money just went straight on into Trump's pocket. Contrary to your accusation, he's spent in on Donald Trump himself not on....

Oh wait, never mind you were right the first time.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:13 PM
Charter Member

I live on the Seattle Eastside. There are plenty of bumper stickers, lawn signs, etc that go for Trump. In companies such as Microsoft, there are plenty of overtly almost in your face Trump supporters*. And there are tons of 0.1%, retired congress critters, etc here.

Just anecdotally I call bullshit on the fear factor and hiding beliefs.

[One really cracks me up. Winds up the manager, a never Trumper, by occasionally interjecting a "your President" into the conversation with said manager. ]
Old 08-20-2019, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post
It's not totally unlimited, since the campaign has to pay, but it's practically unlimited since the reimbursement rate is based off of commercial airfares rather than the cost of using the plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomndebb View Post
I don't know where your 110% claim comes from, but the 100% for any candidate is easily recognized. Thanks to gerrymandering at the precinct level, there are precincts in several places where the supporters of various candidates have been sequestered in single precincts. A race in which multiple precincts all voted 100% for a single candidate handing that candidate the election would be quite suspicious. In an election in which a few scattered precincts voted 100% one way, the only fraud is the probability that the state legislature set it up that way to keep all of their opponents "locked" into a single precinct with negligible results.
Why would precincts be gerrymandered like that on purpose? Who cares how many precincts each party has? Precincts are so small that they don't need to be gerrymandered to get that kind of result. Segregation means that there are plenty of precinct-sized neighborhoods that are completely demographically homogeneous.

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 08-20-2019 at 02:09 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:09 AM
Mod Rocker

It is not a matter of how many precincts are held by each party.
The claim was that only fraud could result in 100% vote for any candidate but when drawing legislative districts, it is possible (if rare) to draw the lines so that a particular precinct is wholly supportive of a single candidate. At the local level, that can determine control of city councils or county commissions.

I doubt that such gerrymandering would affect legislative districts, but that is not the only goal in mind for TPTB.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:49 PM

Ignoring the fact that humans are humans and will have differing opinions...

Note that when Martin Selig moved to Seattle, and most of his early life (enforced until the 1968) most neighborhoods in Seattle had Racial Restrictive Covenants

Here is a random example of racist restrictions that are still on many peoples deeds up there.

Quote:
No part of said property hereby conveyed shall ever be used or occupied by any Hebrew or by any person of the Ethiopian, Malay or any Asiatic Race, and the party of the second part his heirs, personal representatives or assigns, shall never place any such person in the possession or occupancy of said property or any part thereof, nor permit the said property or any part thereof, ever to be used or occupied by any such person, excepting only employeees(sic) in the domestic service on the premises of persons qualified hereunder as occupants and users and residing on the premises.
As "racial tension" was largely responsible for Trump's election it is not surprising to find that same issue in Seattle.

Also note Harold Covington and others were in the area and actual Neo-Nazis and White separatists have been attracted to the PNW for a very long time.

Last edited by rat avatar; 08-20-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

There are also some very small precincts. Dixville Notch hasn't been unanimous since 1960 (9-0 for Nixon), but there may well be some similarly-small precincts that aren't as famous (because they don't return their tallies until the usual time), and maybe one or two of those was unanimous for Obama.

But of course, the onus is on pool to tell us which one he was thinking of.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:28 PM

Tempe Jeff is probably referring to this.

Several Philly precincts went 100% to Obama in 2012. Contrary to conspiracy theories, this is not at all statistically unlikely. Click the link to read all about it.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:07 AM

I left the West Coast before the 2016 election, but what I recall was that despite Washington, Oregon, and California being blue, there were islands of red, and when I mean "red," I mean, like, Oklahoma red -- maybe redder in some cases. The antipathy that conservatives out West have toward liberals is intense. Trump actually won in 2016, which probably validated not only Trump the presidential candidate, but it also validated their own intensely anti-immigrant, anti-diversity, fuck-the-poor worldview. No surprise that the quiet Trump supporters in 2016 are coming out now and doubling down.

Last edited by asahi; 08-21-2019 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I left the West Coast before the 2016 election, but what I recall was that despite Washington, Oregon, and California being blue, there were islands of red, and when I mean "red," I mean, like, Oklahoma red -- maybe redder in some cases.
Outside of New England (and Hawai'i), every state has large areas that are as Republican as Oklahoma.

Last edited by Richard Parker; 08-21-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Parker View Post
Outside of New England (and Hawai'i), every state has large areas that are as Republican as Oklahoma.
It's also the case that cities in general vote for Democrats even in red states - for instance Tamerlane suggested earlier in this thread that it wouldn't have been surprising for Hillary Clinton to have gotten a third of the vote in Dallas. Except that it would, because it's been a Democratic stronghold for a long time! She got 60% of the vote in Dallas County and an even higher proportion of the vote from the city proper (the county contains some more conservative suburbs also). The whole red state/blue state thing really elides the actual political geography of the US, which has a lot more to do with urban/suburban/rural voting patterns.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrosio Spinola View Post
It's also the case that cities in general vote for Democrats even in red states - for instance Tamerlane suggested earlier in this thread that it wouldn't have been surprising for Hillary Clinton to have gotten a third of the vote in Dallas. Except that it would, because it's been a Democratic stronghold for a long time!
And it doesn't take much of a "city" for this to occur. Rural, heavily Republican areas all over the country are peppered with tiny Democratic precincts (or at least pale pink rather than the deep red of the surrounding area) at the core of the local county seat.

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 08-21-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:27 PM

There are pockets of red in blue states and pockets of blue in red states. Shall we conclude that a Warren sign in San Antonio is a sign of a 50 state Democratic win? As sweet as that would be, I'm afraid the answer is no.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrosio Spinola View Post
It's also the case that cities in general vote for Democrats even in red states - for instance Tamerlane suggested earlier in this thread that it wouldn't have been surprising for Hillary Clinton to have gotten a third of the vote in Dallas. Except that it would, because it's been a Democratic stronghold for a long time! She got 60% of the vote in Dallas County and an even higher proportion of the vote from the city proper (the county contains some more conservative suburbs also).
Tamerlane suggested that because Tamerlane flipped the numbers by looking at the wrong column headers . I was looking for the largest city that I thought might have been pro-Trump, turns out Dallas doesn't qualify( Fort Worth looks closer on second view, he won Tarrant county at least ). Thanks for the correction .