Old 08-07-2019, 01:28 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

NFL Preseason Thread

Since we had an off-season thread, but it's no longer the off-season.

First up: Raiders WR Antonio Brown has missed most of Raiders training camp with what had been described as "sore feet." As per this article on SI.com, while this was not inaccurate, it also was not the whole story:

Quote:
Raiders' star wide receiver Antonio Brown is still dealing with a foot injury that is reportedly the result of "extreme frostbite" caused by a cryotherapy machine, ProFootballTalk first reported.

Per reports, Brown was not wearing appropriate footwear when he entered a cryotherapy chamber last month in France which burned his feet and left them frostbitten.
Old 08-07-2019, 03:41 PM

I’d be like... WTF?! But then it’s Antonio Brown.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:30 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

I forgot the link to the SI.com story:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/08/07/an...herapy-raiders
Old 08-07-2019, 05:28 PM

Ah the preseason when hope springs scraggly and malnourished, but eternal, from the blighted ground for a Lions fan.

I was actually pretty impressed with their off-season moves. Mostly they weren't flashy but they improved some real weak spots. It will be hard to see how the moves on their lines pan out as early as the preseason. How the moves to fill the gaping void at TE pan out will be important. We should start to see some of that.

The Vikings signing Kirk Cousins doesn't bode well for a division title. I'm a Lions fan, though. If they look like they will be competitive in most games and are still in the wildcard hunt in the last week or two it's a decent year.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:16 PM

The traditional Giants/Jets preseason game is the first game this preseason, tonight. It's usually week 3 when the starters play the entire first half. I wonder why they switched it?
Old 08-08-2019, 11:29 PM

Jermaine Kearse, WR who won a SB ring with Seattle (almost had two) snaps his leg on the 5th play of the Lions’ first preseason game. Very gruesome injury and speculation is that it will end his season before it started, if not his career.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/detro...preseason-game

It’s a shame, I really like Kearse and I’ll never forget his circus catch to help win the miracle NFC championship against the Packers in 2014.

Last edited by Atamasama; 08-08-2019 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:48 AM

With the 1 hour delay, I missed the Daniel Jones drive live, but went to the videos. Kid has got a good arm, gives me some hope this was a good draft pick. The O-Line does look better then prior years, so the offense might perform well this year.

The defense made some big plays and looked weak a lot of the time. But preseason game 1 is a tough way to evaluate.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:42 AM

Nagy, who is known for NOT playing starters in the preseason, shockingly started his most important one, Mitch Trubisky at quarterback last night. Mitch handed the ball off ...........then handed the ball off .............then handed the ball off. Bears punt. Mitch leaves never to return. What in the world was that about? Mitch needed work handing (not even pitching) the ball off to a running back? Bizarre.
Old 08-09-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
Nagy, who is known for NOT playing starters in the preseason, shockingly started his most important one, Mitch Trubisky at quarterback last night. Mitch handed the ball off ...........then handed the ball off .............then handed the ball off. Bears punt. Mitch leaves never to return. What in the world was that about? Mitch needed work handing (not even pitching) the ball off to a running back? Bizarre.
He was out there with the starting OL too. According to Nagy:
Quote:

“You know, I think it's really important for a lot of these guys to have the mental side of it, the pregame mentality of getting ready for a game, getting out there in the huddle under the lights, and it was only a few snaps and handoffs,” Nagy said. “I just think, and there were other guys, too, that played the same amount, same thing, preparation, and how do you handle yourself and it's always good for everybody to get prepared with that.

“That's what I was telling (Trubisky) earlier here is that it's mentally preparing himself. There were other guys that just played a few plays. I think it's so important for some guys, and it could be good for Mitch, too, that's why I did it, was to just stay mentally prepared, pregame warm-ups, before the game, the pat and go, getting underneath the lights, taking snaps from center, and even though it was just a couple of hand-offs, I feel like just that part is good for him.”
Old 08-09-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamasama View Post
Jermaine Kearse, WR who won a SB ring with Seattle (almost had two) snaps his leg on the 5th play of the Lions’ first preseason game.
Damned ugly and one of three injuries for the Lions. At least it wasn't any starters. It especially wasn't the starting O-line that actually played for a bit before leaving and starting the sackathon.

*Holds myself and rocks* It's only the preseason. It's only the preseason.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoR View Post
It especially wasn't the starting O-line that actually played for a bit before leaving and starting the sackathon.

*Holds myself and rocks* It's only the preseason. It's only the preseason.
It’s got to be better than last season, right?
https://www.espn.com/blog/detroit-li...ol-embarrassed
Old 08-12-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Dee View Post
The traditional Giants/Jets preseason game is the first game this preseason, tonight. It's usually week 3 when the starters play the entire first half. I wonder why they switched it?
Answering my own question, the announcers mentioned that they play each other in the regular season this year, so I think it makes sense. Week 3 you play your starters and have somewhat of a game plan. Not like a real game, of course, but far more than in the first preseason game where your starters only get one drive and nobody installs any kind of game plan at all.

So maybe they switched from the third to the first week to keep things close to the vest for when they meet in the regular season.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:23 PM

Going into this season, I was seriously concerned that the replay rules for defensive pass interference will result in even more ticky tack calls that further diminish, almost to nothing, the defense's ability to stop the passing game. So far this preseason, my fears are even more heightened. This could get ridiculous very quickly.

I'm sorry the Saints got screwed out of playing in the Super Bowl last year (God knows Sean Peyton would have coached a better Super Bowl game than McVay did), but the even further neutering of defenses is not a solution.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

There were so many ticky tacky calls in the Redskins vs Bengals game in the 1st quarter that I was about to throw my iPad across the room. I am SICK of endless penalties and endless reviews. I don’t want to watch a 4 hour game.

For the Redskins, Colt McCoy still hasn’t taken a snap in a game and isn’t supposedly back to healthy. Haskins has shown some flashes of greatness but has also shown many signs that he’s still a rookie and there’s no way he can start week one regardless of how hot Gruden’s seat is.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:01 PM

The preseason is preseason for the officials, too. And the coaching staffs. You'll see more penalties called because:
1) Backups playing
2) Refs getting used to new rules and points of emphasis
3) Coaches getting used to new rules and points of emphasis
Old 08-17-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygnu View Post
The preseason is preseason for the officials, too. And the coaching staffs. You'll see more penalties called because:
1) Backups playing
2) Refs getting used to new rules and points of emphasis
3) Coaches getting used to new rules and points of emphasis
Yes. You see this every preseason. It’s part of the process.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:38 AM
Charter Member

I’ll agree that it’s preseason for everyone and some of the backups might be a bit more aggressive since they want to make the team. And, I’m sure the refs know that the 4th quarter of a preseason game is 3rd string guys trying to nail a roster spot on special teams and most fans aren’t watching, unlike the 4th quarter of the early Sunday game in the regular season.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:52 AM

I now have a new favorite player thanks to this video of the Browns's Larry Ogunjobi. Here's hoping he's a good guy and has a solid, injury free career.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

So all 4 Packers preseason games are on Thursday? Seems odd. Not that it is a big deal, but that is my board game night.

Brian

Last edited by N9IWP; 08-21-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP View Post
So all 4 Packers preseason games are on Thursday? Seems odd. Not that it is a big deal, but that is my board game night.

Brian
Weird scheduling, Giants have 3 Thursday nights and 1 Friday.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:39 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

The Packers and Raiders are playing in Winnipeg tonight, at Investors Group Field (home of the CFL Winnipeg Blue Bombers). They are, unexpectedly, playing on an 80-yard-long field -- in the CFL, the goalposts are on the goal line (and their field 110 yards long); when the goal posts was moved for the NFL game, the resulting holes in the turf was filled in, but when Packer and Raider officials inspected the turf in those areas, they decided that it was not safe to play on.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/08/22/pa...-cfl-goal-post
Old 08-24-2019, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I’ve had two beers. But just seeing that ESPN is reporting that Andrew Luck is retiring. Wow.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:35 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Adam Schefter is reporting that Andrew Luck will be announcing tomorrow that he's retiring from the NFL, and that he's "mentally worn out."
Old 08-24-2019, 09:55 PM

So the backup QB battle in Indy is now the starting QB battle.

Though let’s be honest, for the past few years the Colts backup QB had a good chance to be the starter.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:31 PM

Surprised but not surprised.

On one hand: 'OMG he's so young and so good this is crazy!

On the other hand: Poor guy has been nothing but injured for the past few years and I have no doubts the pressure of constantly rehabbing and trying to come back is just insane

My prediction: He'll be back next year. It won't be a Favre kinda-being-an-asshole kind of thing, but he'll absolutely recover, he'll get his mind right, he'll heal up and want to play again.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

That’s my guess too. Maybe it’ll take two years, but I’m betting that he gets that itch again once he feels like he’s of sound body. Guy probably just need to spend a couple months on a beach with a cocktail.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:30 PM

I think Luck comes back in a few years, too. He simply needs a 1-3 year sabbatical. Step away from the game, the circus of attention, let his mind clear, let his body heal up.

He'll begin getting wistful soon. He'll miss the game, and start wondering "what if" and "what could have been." And being only 31 years old or so then, he'll want one last go at it. Especially if he decides he needs more money.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:34 PM

I think Luck is done. He's a Stanford guy, and he doesn't need football the way some people do. There's more to life than football for someone like Luck. Besides, if there's one position where taking a year off is bad, it's QB. It's one thing if you're Peyton Manning recovering from a neck injury and still part of what's happening in the locker room, but when you're out of football completely, I think it's a different kind of challenge to come back.

I'll put it this way: that he's even contemplating retirement in the prime of his career tells you a lot. He likes football, but it's not what he wakes up in the morning to live for like Tom Brady or other elite QBs. We've seen the last of Andrew Luck in pads. He might very well remain as a broadcaster, though. He'd probably be pretty good.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:34 AM

I like Luck. I am always reminded of this video:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=VYsRX0B9im0

Luck polite trash talk.

It’s sad that he got hurt too much to really reach his potential.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:36 AM

I'm still mad at him for choosing not to enter the draft when the Panthers had the #1 pick

If only he'd gone to Carolina instead he could have had a couple rings by now
Old 08-25-2019, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Redskins just announced Case Keenum as the week one starter. Good move, who knows what’s up with Colt McCoy and don’t throw Haskins out there too soon. I wish Haskins could sit all year, but the hot seat for Gruden will probably make him throw Haskins out there.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:57 PM

That is weird. I seriously thought Luck and RG III were both can't-miss superstars in the making, and now look like neither will have any kind of career after all.

Last edited by wolfman; 08-25-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
That is weird. I seriously thought Luck and RG III were both can't-miss superstars in the making, and now look like neither will have any kind of career after all.
I thought Luck was. I kind of felt like RG III was overrated to start with and especially as his first season played out.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
I thought Luck was. I kind of felt like RG III was overrated to start with and especially as his first season played out.
RGIII's first year (or was it his 2nd?) with the Skins was actually impressive as I recall. I don't know if it was impressive statistically, but he found ways to win games and he was fun to watch when he was allowed to scramble. But he showed his ass after that, and he never recovered.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Hard to say what he's really thinking, because he himself doesn't know, but Gronk isn't ruling out a return after he's finally all healed up. Hey, if he meant No, he'd say No.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Hard to say what he's really thinking, because he himself doesn't know, but Gronk isn't ruling out a return after he's finally all healed up. Hey, if he meant No, he'd say No.
Meh. Everything I heard on the radio sounded like a carefully staged and rehearsed event. He won't say No because saying No would get him out of the news, when he's trying to keep interest up for his new CBD gig.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
Besides, if there's one position where taking a year off is bad, it's QB. It's one thing if you're Peyton Manning recovering from a neck injury and still part of what's happening in the locker room, but when you're out of football completely, I think it's a different kind of challenge to come back.
You may be right on the larger point, but I disagree with this. I think QB is one of the few positions where a sabbatical isn't a kiss of death. It's the least speed/strength dependent job. My sense is that after a couple years away from the day-to-day maintenance that goes into staying in peak physical form it becomes really hard to get it back at other positions. QBs rely so much on their brain and eyes and hands, all things that don't really deteriorate. I'd think any ramp up period he'd have coming back would be similar to adjusting to a new coaching staff and offense, hard but manageable.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:55 AM

I'm looking forward to when the contest to see which sports analyst/player/former player can be most outraged about Indy fans booing Luck is over.

Would I boo him? No. But he is a franchise QB quitting in his prime in the middle of a contract that (when signed) made him the highest paid player in football. The fans booing are perhaps too invested and lacked perspective in the heat of the moment, but its that very overblown fan investment and out-of-whack perspective that allows the players to get paid millions of dollars in the first place. Millions of dollars that he still gets to keep by the way.

Last edited by Clawdio; 08-28-2019 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Seriously, fuck those assholes and their sanctimonious bullshit. Luck is totally fucking over this franchise and the news came out in the middle of a preseason game when all fans have that shiny new car feeling about their team. Of course they will be pissed, justifiably.

Should they be burning him in effigy and sending him death threats, of course not, but that's pretty much always true. Luck is being selfish....which isn't to say it's wrong, but he's literally putting himself first. The team and the fans will pay the price.

And if he comes back in 3 years to play for someone else....watch out.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:53 PM

Or maybe he's just tired of being in pain.

Nah, that can't be the reason, can it?
Old 08-28-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
Seriously, fuck those assholes and their sanctimonious bullshit. Luck is totally fucking over this franchise and the news came out in the middle of a preseason game when all fans have that shiny new car feeling about their team. Of course they will be pissed, justifiably.
Fuck them. He owes them two things: jack and shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni
Should they be burning him in effigy and sending him death threats, of course not, but that's pretty much always true. Luck is being selfish....which isn't to say it's wrong, but he's literally putting himself first. The team and the fans will pay the price.
God forbid he act in his own self interest, because God knows NFL teams are all about the protecting the players and acting for the best of the players. And other NFL players are all about protecting others, unless it involves the rookie pay scale or fucking over other players to make the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni
And if he comes back in 3 years to play for someone else....watch out.
How cool would it be if he came back and beat the fuck out of the Colts and drinks the tears of the shitty ass fans who booed him.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
How cool would it be if he came back and beat the fuck out of the Colts and drinks the tears of the shitty ass fans who booed him.
Fun scenario... Without Luck, the Colts struggle for three years. They are on the outside looking in to the playoffs. Finally they get something going, end up a wildcard team, and in the wildcard game go up against Luck’s new team, which proceeds to shut them out.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine_One View Post
Or maybe he's just tired of being in pain.

Nah, that can't be the reason, can it?
Um...and that's relevant how? Luck doing what's best for Luck is fine and dandy. Don't begrudge him at all. But the fans are totally justified in being pissed. Both things can be true at the same time.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:37 PM

This is not preseason related at all, but I'm watching Super Bowl XXII again right now just for shits and giggles, and what really stands out the most to me right now is all of the flags that would have been thrown if they were playing today.

For example, on the very first play, Ricky Sanders took the kickoff, then was run out of bounds by the Denver defenders. However, the Denver players not only threw him down to the ground while everyone was completely out of bounds, they literally throw him into a referee, and-- absolutely nothing. No flag, no discussion, even the broadcast announcer Al Michaels only mentions the end of the play at all because the ref got knocked down, and he was having a laugh about it.

I miss old-school football.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omniscient View Post
Um...and that's relevant how? Luck doing what's best for Luck is fine and dandy. Don't begrudge him at all. But the fans are totally justified in being pissed. Both things can be true at the same time.
Actually, I agree with this.

Maybe he should have made his decision before the draft so the Colts could get a quarterback or at least trade for one.

Training camp is a bad time to make his decision.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine_One View Post
Maybe he should have made his decision before the draft so the Colts could get a quarterback or at least trade for one.

Training camp is a bad time to make his decision.
Do you actually believe that at draft time, he knew precisely about the injury, knew the extent of the injury, knew it would keep him from playing for the year0, and knew that he should retire, but he just put it off to fuck with the Colts? Seriously?
Old 08-28-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Do you actually believe that at draft time, he knew precisely about the injury, knew the extent of the injury, knew it would keep him from playing for the year0, and knew that he should retire, but he just put it off to fuck with the Colts? Seriously?
No, but you gotta admit that the timing fucks the Colts over to a degree, and by extension, the fans. It's a week before the season opener now.

But I completely agree with Luck's decision. It's his body and mind.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
No, but you gotta admit that the timing fucks the Colts over to a degree, and by extension, the fans. It's a week before the season opener now.
Yep, it sucks. But blaming Luck for it is ... misguided. Would they have preferred he go on IR, cash some more checks, maybe lead them on for another year? Or drag his sorry ass out there for more punishment when he knew he couldnt perform?

I dont think he knew back in May, or even this preseason, that his injury would require another long rehab. He tried to stick it out, to do what he could, but when it became evident he couldnt play, he made the call. It sucks for everyone, including Luck, but I really dont think it was his fault.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post

But I completely agree with Luck's decision. It's his body and mind.
I doubt they’d be in any better shape if he quit weeks ago. Indianapolis is not going to find a replacement for him that would save their season. Not even in the draft. They’d still be screwed. Him delaying his decision doesn’t make things any worse for his team, really to me it just means he was trying to play until he realized he couldn’t any more.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

I'm not even saying that Luck should have done anything differently. It's a horrible circumstance and if I have any criticism it's that his was naďve enough to think he could keep things hush hush allowing the news to come out at the worst possible time and in the worst possible way. He didn't choose to get hurt again.

But the fans are justifiably pissed. Luck doesn't have to have acted badly for that to be acceptable. It's not zero sum thing.