Old 10-11-2019, 12:43 PM

Who is the whistleblower?

I'm amused by the charade that nobody in Congress or the White House knows who the whistleblower is, or at least has a pretty good idea. Come on, kiddies, the pool of suspects is small, and the addition of a second whistleblower, closer to the action, shrinks the pool even more.

So, whodunit?
Old 10-11-2019, 12:45 PM

Some career intelligence or foreign service official we've never heard of before.

Or whoever wrote the Lodestar letter

But probably the first.

Last edited by Defensive Indifference; 10-11-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:54 PM

I am the whistleblower.
Old 10-11-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
I'm amused by the charade that nobody in Congress or the White House knows who the whistleblower is, or at least has a pretty good idea. Come on, kiddies, the pool of suspects is small, and the addition of a second whistleblower, closer to the action, shrinks the pool even more.

So, whodunit?
Which whistleblower? There's 3 that I know of now (counting the IRS).
Old 10-11-2019, 12:59 PM

Someone Trump and his cronies don't know? If the second whistleblower has first hand knowledge of the call that group would be tiny and Trump would have turned them in for the $50k bounty.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I am the whistleblower.
I am Spartacus the whistleblower.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:36 PM

I still think it's Kato Kaelin.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:38 PM

Nobody's calling for them to be imprisoned for life so I figure gotta be CIA.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:48 PM

I thought I heard the WB was a CIA person who in the course of their duties got complaints from several sources, via legitimate channels over real concerns.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:47 PM

I'm guessing Bill Taylor. He's on the text messages with Volker and Sondland and Giuliani, implying that he's uneasy about the apparent quid pro quo (without using those words). They reply that they should be speaking by phone instead of text, and also add a carefully worded message that there's no quid pro quo. CNN's comment is that his concerns are exactly those of the whistleblower.

Quote:
[9/1/19, 12:08:57 PM] Bill Taylor: Are we now saying that security assistance and WH meeting are conditioned on investigations?

[9/1/19, 12:42:29 PM] Gordon Sondland: Call me
Quote:
[9/9/19, 12:47:11 AM] Bill Taylor: As I said on the phone, I think it’s crazy to withhold security assistance for help with a political campaign.

[9/9/19, 5:19:35 AM] Gordon Sondland: Bill, I believe you are incorrect about President Trump’s intentions. The President has been crystal clear no quid pro quo’s of any kind. The President is trying to evaluate whether Ukraine is truly going to adopt the transparency and reforms that President Zelensky promised during his campaign I suggest we stop the back and forth by text If you still have concerns I recommend you give Lisa Kenna or S a call to discuss them directly. Thanks.

Last edited by Rhodes; 10-11-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:29 PM

Melania
Old 10-11-2019, 04:09 PM

But who did she plagiarize the letter from?
Old 10-11-2019, 08:11 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I am the whistleblower.
NO WAY, DUDE. The first whistleblower was Harpo Marx, and I an the second whistleblower. I AM FIRST HAND
Old 10-11-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
I am Spartacus the whistleblower.
I’m not, but I am going to dress as a whistle for Halloween.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:20 PM

The whistle should be part of the wardrobe for anybody protesting trump. Just blow that sucker anywhere and everywhere he appears.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
I'm guessing Bill Taylor. He's on the text messages with Volker and Sondland and Giuliani, implying that he's uneasy about the apparent quid pro quo (without using those words). They reply that they should be speaking by phone instead of text, and also add a carefully worded message that there's no quid pro quo. CNN's comment is that his concerns are exactly those of the whistleblower.
Do we know who S is? I've been too busy lately and have fallen very behind on this story. Is it Stephen Miller? Or Steven. Don't know which is correct.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:44 PM

I'm thinking Coates. (I also think he was the author of the NYT piece.)
Old 10-12-2019, 01:30 AM

He is apparently a career CIA employee who was assigned to the White House (according to the NY Times). More importantly, several people at the White House came to him with their concerns and he was the one to file the formal complaint. He's not an individual, but the representative of a number of concerned public servants.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:44 AM

Missed the edit: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/26/u...?module=inline

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The White House learned that a C.I.A. officer had lodged allegations against President Trump’s dealings with Ukraine even as the officer’s whistle-blower complaint was moving through a process meant to protect him against reprisals, people familiar with the matter said on Thursday.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
I’m not, but I am going to dress as a whistle for Halloween.
Maybe work DeepThoat (watergate) into your costume.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:56 AM

Is there a list of people to choose from? (Maybe I ought to Google for that rather than asking you.)
Do you know a child in need?
Old 10-12-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
Is there a list of people to choose from? (Maybe I ought to Google for that rather than asking you.)
Again, The NY Times is reporting that it is a male, career CIA officer who worked at the White House. I doubt the person would be known to any of us.

Last edited by madmonk28; 10-12-2019 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:15 PM

I don't know, but Facebook is deleting mentions of Eric Ciaramella.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:56 PM

1. Eric Ciaramella
2. Dan Coats
3. John Bolton

I do not know otherwise
Old 11-10-2019, 06:34 PM

Supposedly, Ciaramella.

He seems a bit young to be the person that everyone would go to, unless there were some real young'uns on the phone call. (How many people were on this thing, that Trump was really dumb enough to talk robbing the Watergate Office Building in front of?) But does seem like the sort who would Whistleblow.

As I've noted elsewhere, from the testimony that we have heard, a number of people have said that they went to Bolton saying that they'd heard Trump commit a crime on the phone, and asking him what to do. He quit. Soon following, the whistleblower hit.

Bolton is the type to pull the plug for not getting his way.

Occam's razor would suggest that there shouldn't be two different people that everyone went to to ask what to do about the President committing a crime, only one.

But, it's still weird for someone like Bolton - rather than nameless flunky #37 - to be the whistleblower. Ciaramella is probably the guy, there really must have just been a boatload of people on that call, and my god is Trump an idiot.

And, I will note, Ciaramella is a national hero, looking out for the law.

Should Mr. Ciaramella ever need a place to lay low, I suggest he DM me.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 11-10-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
(How many people were on this thing, that Trump was really dumb enough to talk robbing the Watergate Office Building in front of?)
I've been wondering that myself...

According to the BBC, at least a dozen:
Quote:
In the case of the president's phone call with Mr Zelensky, according to the whistleblower's complaint, about a dozen people were listening to their conversation.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-DUB View Post
The whistle should be part of the wardrobe for anybody protesting trump. Just blow that sucker anywhere and everywhere he appears.
I'll go with that! Are any whistle memes circulating?
Old 11-11-2019, 04:35 AM

No matter who the whistleblower is, if they end up getting Jeffrey Epstein'd, no one is going to be blaming Hillary Goddamn Clinton this time!
Old 11-11-2019, 05:43 AM
Charter Member

It doesn't matter who the whistleblower was. Since others who are not staying anonymous have come forth and said the same thing, no one should care that the WB is not coming forth. The Republicans are bringing him up as part of their smokescreen defense. Don't be sidetracked by this, it's totally irrelevant who he is.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
It doesn't matter who the whistleblower was. Since others who are not staying anonymous have come forth and said the same thing, no one should care that the WB is not coming forth. The Republicans are bringing him up as part of their smokescreen defense. Don't be sidetracked by this, it's totally irrelevant who he is.
Exactly
Old 11-11-2019, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMarch View Post
No matter who the whistleblower is, if they end up getting Jeffrey Epstein'd, no one is going to be blaming Hillary Goddamn Clinton this time!
She's just that clever.

And she did, after all, travel back in time to force Paul Manafort at gunpoint to work for Russian interests in Eastern Europe, so as to ensnare future Trump - who had not yet announced his candidacy for President and would not for several years - in links to Russia after he won the Presidency from her.

Sadly, she wasn't smart enough to spring her well-sprung trap during the campaign itself.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
I don't think it's a smokescreen (or at least, I don't see how it could serve as one).

The only motive that I can see is to intimidate others out of considering going to Congress and talking about what's happening in the White House. They need to make sure that it stays a discrete problem and not a flood of problems.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't think it's a smokescreen (or at least, I don't see how it could serve as one).
It's a smokescreen in the same way that "if the gloves don't fit, you must acquit" was. That is, making people think that something very minor is totally fatal to the prosecution's case.

Another part of the smokescreen is that Hunter Biden isn't going to be subpoenaed. What he did or didn't do was totally irrelevant to what the president did, yet the R's are making it seem like it's a critical issue.

Quote:
The only motive that I can see is to intimidate others out of considering going to Congress and talking about what's happening in the White House. They need to make sure that it stays a discrete problem and not a flood of problems.
That may be part of it too.

Last edited by dtilque; 11-11-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:22 PM

It's QAnon

They are luring Clinton, Pelosi and Schiff into a false sense of security before they break up the pedophile ring once and for all.

4-dimensional chess, sheeple.

Last edited by Buck Godot; 11-11-2019 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
...The only motive that I can see is to intimidate others out of considering going to Congress and talking about what's happening in the White House. They need to make sure that it stays a discrete problem and not a flood of problems.
I’ve practiced criminal defense for about 3 years now. Cases (especially drug cases) are often brought based on an investigation that began with an unnamed confidential informant. Most times, the information from that informant provides the basis for a search warrant which reveals the incriminating evidence that leads to criminal charges.

Defendants always want to know the name of the informant, but law enforcement never reveals it. Why? Because it is irrelevant to the fact that incriminating evidence has been uncovered, and because the only real motivation for learning the name is to take revenge on the snitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtilque
Another part of the smokescreen is that Hunter Biden isn't going to be subpoenaed. What he did or didn't do was totally irrelevant to what the president did, yet the R's are making it seem like it's a critical issue.
What Hunter Biden did was eerily similar to the type of career George W Bush has while HIS daddy was Vice President (in the 80’s)...sort of a slacker with a substance abuse past, getting investors to bail him out (Arbusto) or get him on a board of directors (Harken Energy) for a sinecure.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbusto_Energy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harken_Energy_scandal
Old Yesterday, 12:28 AM

I'm sure the subject must have come up but I don't recall any of the talking heads at MSNBC or CNN talking about this lately... if we suppose that we don't approve of Joe Biden using a little bit of nepotism to help his wayward son along WTF IS IVANKA TRUMP DOING IN THE GODDAMN WHITE HOUSE?

It also occurs to me that it does not matter who the whistleblower is or what their politics are. The only thing a person has to do to become an enemy of Donald Trump is disagree with him. See for example, John McCain, a hero amongst Republicans whose grave is occasionally pissed on by Trump who will forever hold a grudge. As we've seen with the recent testimony of people who are definitely not Democrats, other aspects of their character are held up as reasons why they hate Trump and are trying to sabotage him.

However, at the end of the day what the Republicans are forgetting is that it doesn't matter what the politics of the police are when they catch a bank robber in the act. OJ Simpson's lawyers were able to turn the OJ Simpson trial into the Mark Fuhrman trial for a while but I doubt Trump will have any such luck. His opponent could be AOC and Bernie Sanders holding hands or it could be the ghosts of Ronnie Reagan and John McCain holding guns and bibles... Trump is still going to talk the same shit about them.
Old Yesterday, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWMarch View Post
It also occurs to me that it does not matter who the whistleblower is or what their politics are.
In fact, as a recent article points out, the whistleblower's actions are routine protocol, not a daring defiant act of sabotage:
Quote:
In truth, the real significance of this whistle-blower’s whistle-blowing is that, rather than leaking word of the famous Ukrainian phone call to the media, he or she acted in a neatly procedural and tightly regulated manner. As sanctioned by the Intelligence Community Whistleblower Protection Act of 1998, he or she submitted the complaint to the Inspector General, who reviewed it for credibility and then passed it along to the director of national intelligence, who would have sent it to Congress for investigation if Trump’s Justice Department hadn’t blocked the normal progression. The whistle-blower is the one who is acting in the prescribed lawful way; the President and his henchmen are the ones—no surprise here—calling on the media to violate the point and purpose of the law. [...]

We do not all share, perhaps, sufficient awareness of the fact that the whistle-blower is called the whistle-blower not by some accident of tabloid nomenclature—the way that the winning quarterback of any team except the Jets is called “the franchise”—but by statute. We actually have a complex institutional and statuary system that allows men and women in subsidiary roles in government to out the wrongdoing of their superiors without fear of retaliation. [...]

Our laws encourage functionaries within the government to report on skullduggery by their bosses, in the knowledge that there is an orderly, safe procedure to do it. [...] Whistle-blowing is not merely legitimate in our system; it is uniquely encouraged and protected. [...]

Why, then, the vengeful obsession with exposing the whistle-blower? In part, it may be because Trump knows that he can persuade at least part of his base that the person is just a servant of the opposition. In part, the rage against the whistle-blower is there to intimidate future whistle-blowers.

But the rage is also there to assert, even at some cost in relevance, the central rule of Trumpism, which is that no one can oppose Trump. The interests of the state are identical with the interests of the boss: L’état, c’est him. To a degree that we still cannot quite accept, Trump’s rage is against liberal democracy itself, for limiting his power. He is leading an instinctive assault on the rule of law, whose simplest principle is that the cops and the judges and the bureaucrats work for the state and its system, not for the current political leader and his interests—that they work for the people, not for the President.
Old Yesterday, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
What Hunter Biden did was eerily similar to the type of career George W Bush has while HIS daddy was Vice President (in the 80’s)...sort of a slacker with a substance abuse past, getting investors to bail him out (Arbusto) or get him on a board of directors (Harken Energy) for a sinecure.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbusto_Energy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harken_Energy_scandal
Hunter Biden for prez, 2028!
Old Yesterday, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Hunter Biden for prez, 2028!
Too soon!

My father in law has served on a variety of boards and I asked him about that process. Maybe it's different in the Ukraine but around here, being on the board does not mean they hand you the keys to the kingdom.

As for where I work right now, it's possible someone could approach me saying that they are on the board and they want to do something sketchy that is actually okay because they are on the board. That still would not give them access to actually do it. I mean maybe that's just me being savvy to social engineering tactics. You're on the board? Try not to get any splinters while asking my boss's boss if you can have the keys to that safe over there.
Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM

It would go a long way in restoring my faith in humanity if the whistleblower turns out to be Kelly Ann Conway.