Old 12-01-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
I'm sorry, but nowhere is it stated that anyone from DHS is doing the marking. They seem to be written in Mexico.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:10 PM

The militarization of police agencies in the US has been going on for years. I believe they get a lot of cast off military gear.

Militarization Of Police
Old 12-01-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Trump shook hands with the President of Argentina, the host of the G-20 summit, then walked off the stage instead of standing there to take the usual photos with him, leaving him standing there.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...0606a15b5d9b5?
Then Trump went to sit alone at the table while the other heads of state mingled and networked. Sad Donny, sitting there patting his arm to comfort himself:

https://twitter.com/Guardemocracy/st...73873485086721

Quit, Donny. You're not having any fun and everyone is mean to you. Go live in that solid gold dacha on the shores of the Black Sea, and Vlad will visit often and smile at you! You can have unlimited servants to bow to you and call you Emperor, and eat all the cheeseburgers you want.

Quit, Donny! Quit!
Old 12-01-2018, 08:13 PM

I don't know why every head of state doesn't just ignore him.

Last edited by manson1972; 12-01-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:01 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
The US police departments are militarized. They use tanks and helmets.
There is no US police department.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
There is no US police department.
And I did not say there was. I said police departments.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No native English speakers were confused by what you wrote. I wouldnt waste your time with the deliberately obtuse.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Trump shook hands with the President of Argentina, the host of the G-20 summit, then walked off the stage instead of standing there to take the usual photos with him, leaving him standing there.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...0606a15b5d9b5?
Here is the same scene set to appropriate music.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:19 AM

Hey, it's cool- my monitor needed a good wipedown anyway!
Old 12-02-2018, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Doncha hate it when you know where a piece of music is from, but you can't bring it to mind? (IOW: Hey, a little help?)
Old 12-02-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
“The patch is not authorized by BSO,” she reportedly said. “This matter will be addressed immediately.”[/I][/COLOR][/INDENT]
I am concerned as to what the matter to be addressed here is. That the officer was wearing an unauthorized patch, or that the patch was unauthorized.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Doncha hate it when you know where a piece of music is from, but you can't bring it to mind? (IOW: Hey, a little help?)
"Frolic" by Luciano Michelini...
Old 12-02-2018, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
I am concerned as to what the matter to be addressed here is. That the officer was wearing an unauthorized patch, or that the patch was unauthorized.
Generally speaking, patches aren't specifically 'unauthorised'. That is, there's nothing that says 'Officers may not wear the following patches or insignia: Flying Spaghetti Monster, Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, Where's Waldo...' Instead it's something like 'Only patches and insignia specifically approved may be worn.'
Old 12-02-2018, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasg View Post
"Frolic" by Luciano Michelini...
Wow. I've never watched Curb Your Enthusiasm. I thought it was from a Britcom.

Thanks.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wow. I've never watched Curb Your Enthusiasm. I thought it was from a Britcom.

Thanks.
Great show if you like Seinfeld.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've never watched Seinfeld.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Love Seinfeld. I should look into 'Curb'.

I'm sharing that link with all my friends. It's freaking hilarious. The Secret Service needs a large butterfly net.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Generally speaking, patches aren't specifically 'unauthorised'. That is, there's nothing that says 'Officers may not wear the following patches or insignia: Flying Spaghetti Monster, Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, Where's Waldo...' Instead it's something like 'Only patches and insignia specifically approved may be worn.'
I get the impression that regular-duty police are required to wear undecorated uniforms (officially prescribed patches and tags only), because they have direct contact with the public, but this officer was a member of the murder-police (SWAT), so his uniform requirements might be looser, since his contact with the general public would tend to be somewhat limited.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I was thinking Yakety Sax, but that works better.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I get that, I was just making a (possibly too) subtle dig at the authoritarianism of our friendly law enforcement agencies, and suggesting that they were immediately addressing the matter of authorizing the patch.
Old 12-02-2018, 02:59 PM

Nm

Last edited by Truman Burbank; 12-02-2018 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Nm
Old 12-02-2018, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's the greatest thing I've seen in... ever.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I beg your pardon.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Another attempt to stuff something down the memory hole. Fortunately, the internet remembers things forever.

Re: Numbered asylum seekers. Truly, there is no bottom.
Can we all admit though that these people aren’t really seeking asylum but are economic migrants at this point? I would be happy to make them U.S. voters (especially in swing states); but they are now in Mexico, so if they ever truly had to fear for their lives in their home countries, that is no longer the case.

Last edited by SlackerInc; 12-03-2018 at 01:03 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
Can we all admit though that these people aren’t really seeking asylum but are economic migrants at this point? I would be happy to make them U.S. voters (especially in swing states); but they are now in Mexico, so if they ever truly had to fear for their lives in their home countries, that is no longer the case.
Has Mexico granted them asylum, or merely allowing them to travel through Mexico so they can seek asylum in the US?
Old 12-03-2018, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
Has Mexico granted them asylum, or merely allowing them to travel through Mexico so they can seek asylum in the US?
It’s a good question, that has not at all been addressed in any of the reporting I’ve heard. No one has ever even hinted that there might be some ticking clock before Mexico deports them back to their home countries, but if that is in fact the case it should be reported because it makes a huge difference as to the substance of their predicament.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Can we all admit though that these people aren’t really seeking asylum but are economic migrants at this point?...
No, I don't think we can agree on that.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

The Trump Administration: A Clusterfuck in the Making

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post

Press reports from before the election indicated that about 2000 had accepted Mexican asylum. Haven’t seen an update from the last 3 weeks.
However that usually implies that you will stick around and then seek to move on through regular channels rather than continue “caravanning”.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 12-03-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
It’s a good question, that has not at all been addressed in any of the reporting I’ve heard. No one has ever even hinted that there might be some ticking clock before Mexico deports them back to their home countries, but if that is in fact the case it should be reported because it makes a huge difference as to the substance of their predicament.
One of the consequences of NAFTA was precisely that many people who previously did not need visas to travel to Mexico, and minimal paperwork to get a work permit (when needed), now do need visas and more paperwork.

Whether the Mexican government has the resources to deport them, or the political will to do so with the immense majority whose only crime (if any) is not having requested Visas and other documents before getting to Mexico's southern border, is a different matter. And why should Mexico be the ones who take care of all the poor, downtrodden masses in the rest of Latin America, when so much of the downtrodding has been done by, cough cough, someone other than Mexico, is yet a different matter.

A Costa Rican coworker once described his own country, and by extension Hispanic America, as having "a family problem between The Mother Country (Spain) and Big Brother (the US)". They tend to have sibling friction as well, but a lot of fundamental things including legal structures have their roots in that initial dichotomy.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
One of the consequences of NAFTA was precisely that many people who previously did not need visas to travel to Mexico, and minimal paperwork to get a work permit (when needed), now do need visas and more paperwork.

Whether the Mexican government has the resources to deport them, or the political will to do so with the immense majority whose only crime (if any) is not having requested Visas and other documents before getting to Mexico's southern border, is a different matter. And why should Mexico be the ones who take care of all the poor, downtrodden masses in the rest of Latin America, when so much of the downtrodding has been done by, cough cough, someone other than Mexico, is yet a different matter.

A Costa Rican coworker once described his own country, and by extension Hispanic America, as having "a family problem between The Mother Country (Spain) and Big Brother (the US)". They tend to have sibling friction as well, but a lot of fundamental things including legal structures have their roots in that initial dichotomy.
Awesome post -- thanks.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
I beg your pardon.
"The US police departments" was intended to mean "the police departments of varied political sub divisions of the US", and was read as such by most. The most kind interpretation of your misguided nitpick was that you missed the plural, but apparently you did read it as "departments of 'The US police'".
Old 12-03-2018, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naita View Post
"The US police departments" was intended to mean "the police departments of varied political sub divisions of the US", and was read as such by most. The most kind interpretation of your misguided nitpick was that you missed the plural, but apparently you did read it as "departments of 'The US police'".
Thanks, naita.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:39 PM

This photo of Eric No Scoops from the national tree lighting ceremony makes me think he could sneak into a McPoyle family reunion/orgy and no one would bat an eyelash.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

He's definitely NASCAR Trump, that's for sure.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:37 PM

Trump claims the rioters in Paris are chanting, "We want Trump."
https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...e-are-chanting
Old 12-04-2018, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The deputy in the picture was identified as Sergeant M. Patten by the name on his uniform.

Veda Coleman-Wright, the sheriff’s office spokesperson, told the Miami New-Times the department was unaware that Patten was wearing the patch while meeting Pence.

“The patch is not authorized by BSO,” she reportedly said. “This matter will be addressed immediately.”
Yeah, but I'm sure they mean, "Take off that velcro patch!" as opposed to "We're taking all the guns and sharp objects away from the man who is quite obviously a dumb fuck."
Old 12-04-2018, 05:18 PM

The Attorneys General of DC and Maryland are planning on filing about 30 subpoenas against the Trump Organization, the IRS, and multiple other organizations in the Trump emoluments lawsuit.
https://apnews.com/8335d630f04248fe9...source=Twitter
Old 12-04-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
To be clear, lest anyone think that the CFSG had an original thought, this was a retweet of a blorting from the BigFatJunkie.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Mike Pence poses with law enforcement officers, one of whom is wearing a QAnon patch on his fucking uniform!
https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...ng-qanon-patch
I think THAT "piece of work" has since been demoted and reassigned.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoocher View Post
I guess. As long as MSB keeps it his own country. We know Trump and his supporters don't want Mooslims and their laws and terrorist culture in this country. Trump should try to ban them from coming to this country or something. Oh, wait.
I have "a problem" or two with that.

1. Murder is not cool.
2. The guy was a resident of this country, and therefore SHOULD have been under our protection.
3. It has nothing to do with Dump's idea of banning Mooslums (or at least banning the ones who didn't line his pockets).

So no, there ain't any "no wait" about it.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Not on anyone's radar: a financial institution in a small country was breached by officials of that country, for investigative purposes.
German police raided Deutsche Bank offices on Thursday, seeking evidence in a money laundering investigation into the practice of hiding money offshore to elude tax collectors and government regulators.

… (NPR's Esme) Nicholson adds, "According to investigators, in 2016 alone, more than 900 Deutsche Bank customers were served by a subsidiary registered in the British Virgin Islands." … (who) did business totaling 311 million euros (about $350 million) …

(Deutsche Bank tweeted):
It is true that the police is currently conducting an investigation at a number of our offices in Germany. The investigation has to do with the Panama Papers case. More details will be communicated as soon as these become known. We are cooperating fully with the authorities.
This is the major financial institution that was so very cozy with CFSG. I should imagine he is a tad nervous about this and what might end up in Muller's hands.
... or more verification of the data Meuller already has????
Old 12-04-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railer13 View Post
The last sentence of this article is rather interesting:

Nope. Sorry. We didn't forget about Mueller. You might have, but we didn't.
Damn right, WE didn't.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
I have "a problem" or two with that.

1. Murder is not cool.
2. The guy was a resident of this country, and therefore SHOULD have been under our protection.
3. It has nothing to do with Dump's idea of banning Mooslums (or at least banning the ones who didn't line his pockets).

So no, there ain't any "no wait" about it.
I was being facetious, although that doesn't necessarily come across in text. Trump and his base didn't give a shit that the guy was murdered and bent over backward to give MBS a pass on it.

Apparently, after the CIA director briefed some Senators, it's pretty obvious MBS was directly ordering this killing.

Makes one wonder how much Trump is owned by the Saudis. The joke from the G20 was the high fives between MBS and Putin were congratulations on each making Trump their bitch.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Apparently, after the CIA director briefed some Senators, it's pretty obvious MBS was directly ordering this killing.
Lindsey Graham, who lately has been the master vacillater in the political winds, is convinced that MBS is guilty:

Quote:
“There’s not a smoking gun — there’s a smoking saw," Graham said after leaving an intelligence briefing by CIA director Gina Haspel for a small group of senators. "You have to be willfully blind not to come to the conclusion that this was orchestrated and organized by people under the command of MBS and that he was intricately involved in the demise of Mr. Khashoggi."
Also:

Quote:
The AP also reported that the South Carolina lawmaker said he cannot support arms sales to the country as the crown prince is its leader.
Story here.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have to wonder if Haspel offered some views on how she would have done it in one of her CIA black sites.

Quote:
Makes one wonder how much Trump is owned by the Saudis.
Probably still less than the Bushes. Trump is so easily fooled that anybody can look like they own him.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The man is delusional.
I think he got this one from listening to Rush Limbaugh.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
As the Jacobins erect the guillotine?
Old 12-04-2018, 08:44 PM

We have got to build a dome and China is going to pay for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump
When you look at China, and when you look at other countries where they have foul air, they have not good air that comes over to the United States. People don't want to talk about it, but it comes over. (Xi) you know, he's got to do something with his climate, his climates, a little bit, though.
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/10...954881/photo/1
Old 12-04-2018, 08:50 PM

President Trump traveled 250 yards to greet George W. Bush. He used a stretch limo and an eight-vehicle motorcade to make the trip.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...7e7_story.html
Old 12-04-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora maire View Post
We have got to build a dome and China is going to pay for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump
When you look at China, and when you look at other countries where they have foul air, they have not good air that comes over to the United States. People don't want to talk about it, but it comes over. (Xi) you know, he's got to do something with his climate, his climates, a little bit, though.
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/10...954881/photo/1
Word salad uttered by someone who is brain-damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogSignal View Post
President Trump traveled 250 yards to greet George W. Bush. He used a stretch limo and an eight-vehicle motorcade to make the trip.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...7e7_story.html
"Hey, Bubba, maybe you WAS da president, but *I* da president now!"