Old 10-06-2018, 07:24 PM

Author Chuck Wendig on Twitter:

Quote:
There will be renewed calls for civility. Ignore them. They ask for civility as a way for you to grant them complicity in what they do.

Civility is for normalcy. When things are normal and working as intended, civility is part of maintaining balance. But when that balance is gone, civility does not help return it but rather, destabilize it further. Because your civility gives them cover for evil.

Note: this isn’t the same as calling for violence. But it is suggesting that you should not be shamed for using vigorous, vulgar language. Or for standing up in disobedience. Or for demanding acknowledgement and action in whatever way you must.

Fuck Trump. But he’s just the ugly fake-gold mask they’ve put on this thing. Fuck all the GOP, fuck that blubbering, bristling frat boy judge, fuck McConnell, Ryan, Grassley, Collins, every last one of them. Fuck them for how they’ve shamed victims and helped dismantle democracy.

They will tell you to smile, that we need to get back to business, that we gotta heal the rift and blah blah blah — but that’s the desire of a savvy bully, who wants you to stop crying after he hit you, who wants you not to fight back. But you can cry. And you can fight back.

They can eat shit. All of them. They can eat a boot covered in shit.

Winter is coming, you callous fucknecks, you prolapsed assholes, you grotesque monsters, you racists and rapists and wretched abusers, you vengeful petty horrors.

Sidenote: some will tell you to be civil because our rage and scorn will fuel the other side, but fuck that double standard in both its ears.

“Well, if you hadn’t said those SASSY WORDS and demonstrated ANGER at our whittled-down democracy, I for a second might’ve been convinced not to eat this baby. But fie! Fie on you! Your incivility MADE me eat this baby!”

Spoiler warning: they were always gonna eat that baby.
https://twitter.com/ChuckWendig/stat...65516699803649

I endorse these words.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Author Chuck Wendig on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/ChuckWendig/stat...65516699803649
I endorse these words.
Yeah, that's really good.

When people are beating you up and stealing from you, you don't politely lie there and take it. You stop them. Best way to stop them: by calling over your friends and tying up the criminals and putting them on trial.

Only half of Americans vote. Only about 27% of Americans are white-supremacist fascist authoritarian bully-loving deplorables. If the 50% of voting-eligible Americans who don't vote joined the currently-voting anti-bullies in standing up to the WSFABLDs, we'd effectively get them out of power.
Old 10-06-2018, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrerd View Post
.... Only about 27% of Americans are white-supremacist fascist authoritarian bully-loving deplorables....
Trouble is, they don't really know that, they see the numbers from the fake news, and the elites, but they don't believe them. President ShroomDick tells them there were five million illegal votes, they buy it. They know that they are the majority, and if elections don't look that way, somebody is cheating them. Best they can see, there's no other option.

This is so ingrained, they don't even think about it, they don't assert it as an opinion, any more than you or I might assert that the world is round. Its a given, it doesn't require statement or support. So, maybe a solid clobbering will do the job, maybe not. But we don't have a Plan B. Sure, its a frustrating and possibly futile pain in the butt, but after parenting, what can scare you?
Old 10-07-2018, 12:01 AM
SDSAB

I'm a parent three times over, and there's been plenty to scare me since Jan. 20, 2017.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:05 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
He's got a fix for that, change the courts.

Yep. And that's what he's managed to do again.

Cry, the beloved country.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:34 AM

Fucking unbelievable. Actually, with trump in office, the term unbelievable has become white noise (emphasis on white, as in white supremacist).

Quote:
U.S. President Donald Trump said he is "100 percent" certain that Christine Blasey Ford named the wrong person when she accused Brett Kavanaugh of sexual assault in testimony during his Supreme Court nomination hearings.

“This is one of the reasons I chose him is because there is no one with a squeaky clean past like Brett Kavanaugh. He is an outstanding person and I’m very honored to have chosen him,” Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One while flying to a campaign rally in Kansas.

"We’re very honored that he was able to withstand this horrible, horrible attack by the Democrats."
So, what he's saying is that he now believes Ford was, in fact, sexually assaulted; however, it could not have been at the hands of the wonderful man that trump has "hired". trump is incapable of admitting that he made a mistake.

And I don't even know what the fuck this is supposed to mean:

Quote:
“Women were outraged at what happened to Brett Kavanaugh, outraged,” Trump said. "It was a total misnomer because the women I feel were in many ways stronger than men in his favor."
Old 10-07-2018, 01:37 AM

The women who count, to Trump, kind of were. The GOP seems to have lost very few white, Republican women over the Kavanaugh circus. It's energized the hell out of Democratic and Independent women, but it didn't move the needle on Republican women almost at all.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:45 AM
Charter Member

Has he explained what happened to the Women For Kavanaugh who were marching on the Capitol? Gosh, sure hope they're OK! Thoughts and prayers....
Old 10-07-2018, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
The women who count, to Trump, kind of were. The GOP seems to have lost very few white, Republican women over the Kavanaugh circus. It's energized the hell out of Democratic and Independent women, but it didn't move the needle on Republican women almost at all.
One thing that I see often around me is the people who have total disbelief that a (woman/racial minority/LGBT person/young person) can possibly be right-wing/republican. Well, they can. Because, guess what, they have other things they care about. Yes, I know, you can't conceive how someone could care more about their taxes or their guns than about their sexual freedom... but they do.

(We already saw a hint of this in the W age: the Security Moms. Women voters who whatever they may have thought about things like Roe or the deficit or privacy, they cared first and foremost about the threat of nasty "others" coming after their children, and wanted THAT addressed first, by whatever means necessary.)

Those white Republican women may not like this appointment and the surrounding nastiness... but if they perceive they can't oppose this without also opposing everything else in the platform, then they may not back down.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 10-07-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
Yes, I know, you can't conceive how someone could care more about their taxes or their guns than about their sexual freedom... but they do.
I know people who care more about other people's sexual freedom than about their own. They care that other people not be able to exercise any kind of sexual freedom unless those other people's sexual tastes fall within what they do consider acceptable, that is. And some of them don't even just have a problem with the gays, or with the sluts, or... no, no, some of them even have a problem with nonprocreative sex within marriage, or have been known to get mad at their pastor because their pastor did not back them up on the notion of "the missionary position is the only acceptable one". When your concept of "acceptable sex" makes a needle's eye look like an olympic stadium, everything is a sin.

Last edited by Nava; 10-07-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
(We already saw a hint of this in the W age: the Security Moms. Women voters who whatever they may have thought about things like Roe or the deficit or privacy, they cared first and foremost about the threat of nasty "others" coming after their children, and wanted THAT addressed first, by whatever means necessary.)

Those white Republican women may not like this appointment and the surrounding nastiness... but if they perceive they can't oppose this without also opposing everything else in the platform, then they may not back down.
So who is it that has them all stirred up about these "others" who are after their children? And at the end of the day when they've tucked little Jimmy in bed, safe from people too brown or too gay or the wrong religion, and look up to find the rest of the house has burned down around them, will they feel the price might have been too high? Especially when the threat was no where as big as they'd been told.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:46 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Quote:
One thing that I see often around me is the people who have total disbelief that a (woman/racial minority/LGBT person/young person) can possibly be right-wing/republican. Well, they can. Because, guess what, they have other things they care about. Yes, I know, you can't conceive how someone could care more about their taxes or their guns than about their sexual freedom... but they do.
Indeed. I have known gay Republicans. And don't forget the Log Cabin Republicans.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump
"We’re very honored that he was able to withstand this horrible, horrible attack by the Democrats."
Does Trump have any idea what the word “honored” means? It’s not a synonym for “happy”.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
Indeed. I have known gay Republicans. And don't forget the Log Cabin Republicans.
Kapos.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Fucking unbelievable.
And I don't even know what the fuck this is supposed to mean:

Quote:
“Women were outraged at what happened to Brett Kavanaugh, outraged,” Trump said. "It was a total misnomer because the women I feel were in many ways stronger than men in his favor."
He had just been asked by a reporter about the fact that many women are unhappy that Kananaugh was confirmed. He used the word "misnomer," the meaning of which he does not understand, to mean something like 'false report' or perhaps 'false belief' (that women are unhappy about Kavanaugh).

In other words, one or two women told him 'yes' when he got in their faces and "asked" ARE YOU HAPPY ABOUT MY BIGLY FEAT OF GETTING KAVANAUGH ON THE COURT? Oh, and Susan Collins. (Will we ever know how much she was promised, in cash and equivalents, for what she did?)
Old 10-07-2018, 06:33 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I don’t need to believe that Susan Collins was bribed. I’m willing to believe that deep down, she’s just a really shitty person.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
I don’t need to believe that Susan Collins was bribed. I’m willing to believe that deep down, she’s just a really shitty person.
She's a Republican. QED.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Collins, Flake, etc. make a big show of being independent-minded but at the end of the day they heed the party discipline when it counts and if they complain it’s about about style, not substance.
Old 10-07-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:

I look at is as they identify as being WHITE before they identify as being a WOMAN. Me, it's a WOMAN first. They seem to think they're going to escape the very bad things happening and the very bad things yet to come because their whiteness will protect them. And, to be fair, it probably will.

That's for the "I don't care" level of racists. Those who might not burn a cross in the black neighbors' yard, but won't call the cops on the perps either. For the cross-burning type, they don't care what happens to other women because either they're non-white or race traitors. As long as they have it slightly better than a black woman, they're ok with being oppressed themselves.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Rarity View Post
I look at is as they identify as being WHITE before they identify as being a WOMAN.
Absolutely. As Alexis Grenell pointed out in a NY Times Opinion piece yesterday:
Quote:
We’re talking about white women. The same 53 percent who put their racial privilege ahead of their second-class gender status in 2016 by voting to uphold a system that values only their whiteness, just as they have for decades. Since 1952, white women have broken for Democratic presidential candidates only twice: in the 1964 and 1996 elections, according to an analysis by Jane Junn, a political scientist at the University of Southern California.

Women of color, and specifically black women, make the margin of difference for Democrats. The voting patterns of white women and white men mirror each other much more closely, and they tend to cast their ballots for Republicans. The gender gap in politics is really a color line.

That’s because white women benefit from patriarchy by trading on their whiteness to monopolize resources for mutual gain. For white women, it’s apparently better than being “stronger together,” with the 94 percent of black women and 86 percent of Latinas who voted for Hillary Clinton.

During the 2016 presidential election, did white women really vote with their whiteness in mind? Lorrie Frasure-Yokley, a political scientist at U.C.L.A., recently measured the effect of racial identity on white women’s willingness to support Trump in 2016 and found a positive and statistically significant relationship. So white women who voted for him did so to prop up their whiteness.

In the study, white women who agreed that “many women interpret innocent remarks or acts as sexist” were 17 percent more likely to vote for a Republican candidate. They were also likely to agree that “blacks should work their way up without special favors.” To be sure, women of color aren’t inherently less sexist or even without their own racial biases. But unlike white women, they can’t use race privilege to their advantage.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
Does Trump have any idea what the word “honored” means? It’s not a synonym for “happy”.
He understands it like he understands honor, both as noun as verb. Or rather, neither as noun nor verb.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
She's a Republican. QED.
I've seen various sites claiming that Collins' husband is "a lobbyist with Russian connections" but as these have all been far-left fringe sites thus far I'm taking their allegations with some very large grains of salt.

But I have no issue with the "really shitty person" point.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:01 AM

I think she will not earn a chapter in “Profiles in Courage” for her decision to place party loyalty (ie- not rocking the boat) over her stated commitment to a woman’s right to choose (sincere belief or sometimes politically expedient?).

She has to know that the bland reassurances given to her by Kavanaugh prior to confirmation hearings have the strength of wet toilet paper, especially after hearing him lie his pants off in the supplemental hearings.

If she does have a sincerely held belief in a woman’s right to choose, I guess you might say she was “boofed” by Kavanaugh and McConnel, but not in the (relatively) nice farty way.
Old 10-08-2018, 03:30 PM

Flat out lying.
"Every single democrat in the US Senate has signed up for open borders and its a billed called The Open Borders Bill and it's written by, guess who, Diane Feinstein. Remember the leaking, right? The leaking Diane Feinstein."
https://secondnexus.com/news/trump-d...inf_10_1164_2&
Old 10-08-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Flat out lying.
"Every single democrat in the US Senate has signed up for open borders and its a billed called The Open Borders Bill and it's written by, guess who, Diane Feinstein. Remember the leaking, right? The leaking Diane Feinstein."
https://secondnexus.com/news/trump-d...inf_10_1164_2&

In your link, at the bottom of the first page, is this:

Quote:
Aside from people who don’t fact check or those who believe in conspiracy theories of shadow governments, people did not buy the lies from right wing extremist media or President Trump.

The only issue I have with that is that it should say:

Quote:
right wing extremist President Trump
Old 10-08-2018, 04:28 PM

What the fuck is that even supposed to mean? I thought we did have open borders in the first place.

It's like saying the Democrats are planning to bomb the North Pole, kill Santa Claus and kill Christmas for all Americans if they don't win the senate. It's called the Kill Santa Bill.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
What the fuck is that even supposed to mean? I thought we did have open borders in the first place.

It's like saying the Democrats are planning to bomb the North Pole, kill Santa Claus and kill Christmas for all Americans if they don't win the senate. It's called the Kill Santa Bill.
“Feinstein’s legislation would abolish and end all immigration and border enforcement across the U.S., allowing the 12 to 30 million illegal aliens living in the country and all future illegal aliens to be free to travel back and forth across the hemisphere without enforcement or protections for Americans.”

“The plan would also likely ban any and all federal arrests of illegal aliens. The legislation has earned the nickname, the ‘Child Trafficking Encouragement Act,’ as it allows illegal alien smugglers to freely traffic children into the U.S. without the fear of arrest.”
Old 10-08-2018, 08:46 PM

That's nothing. I heard that as part of their pact with the Dark One, each Democrat had to sign the bill using the blood of an American baby they anally raped to death.
One baby each I mean, they didn't share the one. That would have been gross.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:09 PM

"Coal is Killing the Planet. Trump Loves It.
Scientists issued a new alarm on the devastating impacts of continued burning of fossil fuels. But the Trump E.P.A. keeps propping up coal"
By The (New York Times) Editorial Board
Quote:
...If we keep burning coal and petroleum to power our society, we’re cooked — and a lot faster than we thought. The United Nations scientific panel on climate change issued a terrifying new warning on Monday that continued emissions of greenhouse gases from power plants and vehicles will bring dire and irreversible changes by 2040, years earlier than previously forecast. The cost will be measured in trillions of dollars and in sweeping societal and environmental damage, including mass die-off of coral reefs and animal species, flooded coastlines, intensified droughts, food shortages, mass migrations and deeper poverty.

The worst impacts can be avoided only by a “far-reaching and unprecedented” transformation of the global energy system, including virtually eliminating the use of coal as a source of electricity, the panel warned.

Yet President Trump, who has questioned the accepted scientific consensus on climate change, continues to praise “clean beautiful coal” and has directed his Environmental Protection Agency to reverse major strides undertaken by the Obama administration to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from coal-fired power plants. This is unbelievably reckless. In addition to undermining the fight against climate change, the president's efforts to prop up the dirtiest of all fuels will also exact a significant toll on public health, on the hearts and lungs of ordinary Americans....
Fake news. Who gives a fuck. Whatever.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:14 PM

If the Democrats ever retake control of Congress and the White House, then I think the very first thing they should do is to enact immigration reform and have essentially loose borders, and speeding up the time for permanent residency and citizenship.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Scientists issued a new alarm on the devastating impacts of continued burning of fossil fuels. But the Trump E.P.A. keeps propping up coal"
I'm just glad Hillary's not president - she would be deleting her spam folder, like, every morning.

You know, I can't wait until 2048 when democratic socialists win the democratic nomination. Of course by that point half the country will be literally underwater and we'll have white and colored water fountains again, but the wait for ideological purity will have been worth it.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Who says Donald Trump has no sense of decency? He just issued a public apology over the Kavanaugh scandal.

Quote:
"On behalf of our nation, I would like to apologize to Brett and and the entire Kavanaugh family for the terrible pain and suffering you have been forced to endure"
Old 10-08-2018, 10:25 PM
SDSAB

Let me be the first to say I'm a proud citizen of that nation, and he's certainly not speaking for me.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:31 PM

On PBS tonight they reported that Trump was asked what he had to say to the women who were devastated by the Kavanaugh hearings. His response: he didn’t think there were any such women.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
The trumpists will automatically dismiss and denigrate anything at all connected to the United Nations.

Last edited by Monty; 10-08-2018 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I'm just glad Hillary's not president - she would be deleting her spam folder, like, every morning.

You know, I can't wait until 2048 when democratic socialists win the democratic nomination. Of course by that point half the country will be literally underwater and we'll have white and colored water fountains again, but the wait for ideological purity will have been worth it.

I cannot agree with your assessment of the future. Oh, of course there will be water fountains for the Whites, but what makes you think there will be any for other races?
Old 10-08-2018, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator View Post
Has he explained what happened to the Women For Kavanaugh who were marching on the Capitol? Gosh, sure hope they're OK! Thoughts and prayers....
There have been no reports, no sightings. No one has seen nor heard of them! And yet, at this time, no missing person reports have been filed! Dunt-dun-DUN!

(Those are ominous, minor key chords. So, fake Orff!)
Old 10-08-2018, 11:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc1953 View Post
On PBS tonight they reported that Trump was asked what he had to say to the women who were devastated by the Kavanaugh hearings. His response: he didn’t think there were any such women.
Trump said he didn't think. You have to admit his story sounds credible.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I cannot agree with your assessment of the future. Oh, of course there will be water fountains for the Whites, but what makes you think there will be any for other races?
What makes you think there will be other races?
Old 10-09-2018, 01:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
snip
. It's called the Kill Santa Bill.
How Tarantinoesque.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:55 AM

And heeeeere's Donnie!

Quote:
The President Just Turned Around and Called Dr. Christine Blasey Ford's Story a Democratic 'Hoax'
Quote:
Trump says Kavanaugh was caught up in a "hoax" set up by the Democrats: “It was all made up, it was fabricated, and it’s a disgrace"

Craven scum.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:29 AM

Quote:
I stand corrected -- you're right, there probably won't be.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:35 AM

Quote:
The question is, what impact will this have on female voters in a mid-term election?

Going beyond that question, though, let's not forget the significance of the Kavanaugh confirmation process: the raw exercise of power by the Republican party. A show of force by a small but powerful triumvirate of oligarchs, white nationalists, and Christian warriors - or a combination thereof. Trump needs the extremists to ensure his and his family's survival, and the extremists need Trump to increase their legitimacy and grip on power. What the right wing has done is to demonstrate that they'll do anything - anything - to maintain power. Remember that going into the elections. The Russians aren't finished, and neither are they.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:45 AM

Quote:
The question is, what impact will this have on female voters in a mid-term election?
Early polls indicate that this is a winner for Republicans. Which is as strong an indictment of America as I've seen lately.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:

Exactly zero. The trumpist women parrot the misogynist accusations against not only Dr. Ford but also against Ms. Clinton. They easily forgive Trump (or dismiss them outright) for the horrible things he does, but will never forgive Ms. Clinton for things they accuse her of having done which she, in fact, has not done.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...but will never forgive Ms. Clinton for things they accuse her of having done which she, in fact, has not done.
But in Trumpland, with their alternate facts and ignoring anything that might be different than the story running in their heads, that last fact matters not at all.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
snip
. It's called the Kill Santa Bill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalostwages View Post
How Tarantinoesque.
Coming this Christmas to a theater near you.

Walt Disney Pictures proudly presents

QUENTIN TARANTINO'S

KILL SANTA BILL

Starring

Tim Allen

Uma Thurman

Bruce Willis

Jonathan Lipnicki

David Krumholz as Bernard

and Jamie Foxx as The Assassin

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 10-09-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:07 PM
BANNED

The StraightDope Pidgeon-hole Demographic Label Matrix:

Female ◯ Male ◯

Urban ◯ Educated ◯ Young ◯

Democrat ◯ Married ◯ Independent ◯ Salaried ◯

Hourly ◯ Anglo ◯ MiddleClass ◯ Mexican ◯ Black ◯

Wealthy ◯ Illiterate ◯ Disabled ◯ Poor ◯ Straight ◯ Bi ◯ Rural ◯

Elderly ◯ Middle-Aged ◯ Gay ◯ Republican ◯ Single ◯ Handicapped ◯ White ◯

These labels on their face SHOULD hold no intrinsic value judgement. People are what they are from a terminology standpoint - just adjectives, based in fact. It's so easy judging a specific trait in the context of some stupid argument, while at the same time overlooking the simple fact that everybody holds or claims a combination of at least 5 or more of these labels.

Trump is a wealthy, white, salaried, straight, middle-aged, republican male. He alo just happens to be a stupid, bastardly, lyin' cunt. I sometimes wonder about the demographics of the stupid, bastardly lyin' cunt crowd. Seems like a perceptual issue, because I never seem to hear much about the poor, black lesbian lyin' cunts. I guess it's just when they get into power the labels come out.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:38 AM
SDSAB

The President of the United States laughs at a crowd's chant of "Lock her up" about a sitting U.S. senator: https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...bout-feinstein
Old 10-10-2018, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
The President of the United States laughs at a crowd's chant of "Lock her up" about a sitting U.S. senator: https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...bout-feinstein

Wait. But, but, but isn't he the one bemoaning the lack of "due process"? Guloramitey, what a piece of work he is. Which is really surprising since he evidently doesn't know how anything, such as the government, finances, taxes, tariffs, diplomacy, works.

Last edited by Monty; 10-10-2018 at 02:02 AM.