Old 12-08-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
This thing with the president is serious. Let's book him for his annual physical a month from now!
Probably the next available appointment he could get.

Medical care, more complicated than you'd think.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:46 AM

Who knew?
Old 12-08-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post

To be fair, this doctor is pretty busy
https://i.imgur.com/wfvVgra.png
Old 12-08-2017, 10:18 AM

Surely, thump is going back to his Main Man to get a report on the extreme excellence of his big fat, puffy, slurry self.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Surely, thump is going back to his Main Man to get a report on the extreme excellence of his big fat, puffy, slurry self.
He's in amazing shape! Best I've ever seen! His test results came back all positive! So sayeth the guy who looks like he went to med school so he could write prescriptions for himself.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

"Seriously, baby, I can prescribe anything I want!"
Old 12-08-2017, 12:20 PM

All the rich people I know have expensive dental implants that are surgically attached to the jawbone, not movable denture plates. But then they're mostly women wanting to keep a youthful mouth.

I think it was a combination of fatigue and dry mouth, not wanting to be ridiculed for taking a drink of water.

What kind of medication causes dry mouth?
Old 12-08-2017, 12:37 PM

heroin
Old 12-08-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/06/donald...d-end-7138575/

I hate Trump too, guys. I really really do.

But can we stop picking over every little thing?

I don't know what the hell happened to Trump's speaking ability. Yes, at one time he used to be pretty articulate. Maybe he is suffering from dementia or he's on drugs. Who knows?
No. I will continue to ridicule him. Why does he get a pass? He ridicules and abuses everyone else, so fuck him. He deserves abuse and scorn.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
If one of Trump's numerous political enemies stuttered over a word, Trump would call them "Mel Tillis" from then on.

I have no problem with Trump getting what he's given.
This, in spades.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
No. I will continue to ridicule him. Why does he get a pass? He ridicules and abuses everyone else, so fuck him. He deserves abuse and scorn.
Ditto. This is the guy who ridiculed a Gold Star family and mocked a disabled person. He doesn't get any slack.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ditto. This is the guy who ridiculed a Gold Star family and mocked a disabled person.
And insulted another disabled person.

Last edited by Skywatcher; 12-08-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:34 PM

Let's say that the medical officers at Walter Reed examine trump and find that he's suffering from a degenerative brain issue that prevents him from being in control of his actions. Would those doctors be required to report such findings or are they privileged?
Old 12-08-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:

I hope he doesn't end up paying out of network fees!!
Old 12-08-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
I hope he doesn't end up paying out of network fees!!
No worries, he'll stiff them on the bill.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:14 PM

The White House should never poo-poo concern over a President's health. It's important to know if slurring is something serious, like a TIA or medication, or just loose dentures (which Trump may not want to admit to). Just to note about possible dementia, my dad has the beginnings of dementia or is somewhere near the beginning or end of the beginning of it. Before we noticed he was having short-term memory loss in 2014 or so, he had about a 5 year period where we noticed he had a shorter fuse than usual about a lot of things. He'd blow up pretty easily about things. Even Trump's aides are mentioning his anger blowups according to press reports. There are also reports that he has wandered off more than once before he signs a proclamation. And of course, everyone notices his word salad in speeches and interviews. His lying seems excessive though he has probably always lied a lot. Something is going on with him lately

I'm skeptical that Trump will follow through with a doctor's exam in the new year and/or actually have the results made public
Old 12-08-2017, 05:26 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by computergeek View Post
The White House should never poo-poo concern over a President's health. It's important to know if slurring is something serious, like a TIA or medication, or just loose dentures (which Trump may not want to admit to). Just to note about possible dementia, my dad has the beginnings of dementia or is somewhere near the beginning or end of the beginning of it. Before we noticed he was having short-term memory loss in 2014 or so, he had about a 5 year period where we noticed he had a shorter fuse than usual about a lot of things. He'd blow up pretty easily about things. Even Trump's aides are mentioning his anger blowups according to press reports. There are also reports that he has wandered off more than once before he signs a proclamation. And of course, everyone notices his word salad in speeches and interviews. His lying seems excessive though he has probably always lied a lot. Something is going on with him lately

I'm skeptical that Trump will follow through with a doctor's exam in the new year and/or actually have the results made public
"I, Donald J. Trump, has more blood pressure than anyone. No one has a higher blood pressure than me. It's the most incredible, wonderful blood pressure ever seen!"
Old 12-08-2017, 05:29 PM

Trump is obviously no longer the sane motherfucker that was elected.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Sane? Trump?
Old 12-08-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerblue View Post
All the rich people I know have expensive dental implants that are surgically attached to the jawbone, not movable denture plates. But then they're mostly women wanting to keep a youthful mouth.
That's what I was wondering. Whoever would he have dentures instead of implants? Yes, implants are more expensive -- but even if he's worth only 1% of what he claims, he could certainly afford it. And implants are way better than dentures. (OK, I admit I've never had even a partial denture. But I do have implants, and I can't tell them from the teeth they replace.)

Maybe since they're lower teeth, if he has enough bone loss in his jaw they can't do implants? Otherwise, I can't imagine that someone as vain as he wouldn't have gone the implant route.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
I watched the clip and, as a physician who specializes in brain function and disability, I don’t think a stroke was behind the slurred words. But having evaluated the chief executive’s remarkable behavior through my clinical lens for almost a year, I do believe he is displaying signs that could indicate a degenerative brain disorder.

https://www.statnews.com/2017/12/07/...alist-disease/

We knew that.
Over at Slate Eleanor Cummins recommends that the elderly in positions of public service submit to serial Mini-Mental State Exam testing. The first test establishes a baseline. Later tests can provide a diagnosis. Cummins:
Trump is 71 years old. At his age, some 5 percent of Americans show signs of dementia. That’s a pretty small number, and even if a leader, especially the president, began to show marked mental decline, what to do about that would be a long and ethically complicated conversation.
http://www.slate.com/articles/health...ni_mental.html
Discussions involving the 25th amendment can indeed be long and complicated. Presumably there's an interval where a hypothetical President or Senator is declining but not yet unfit for public office.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Measure for Measure View Post
Presumably there's an interval where a hypothetical President or Senator is declining but not yet unfit for public office.
That “interval” was my high school years (1985-88).
Old 12-11-2017, 02:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
That “interval” was my high school years (1985-88).
The evidence regarding Reagan is, unsurprisingly, mixed. That said, if he was a CEO he would have been replaced by someone in 1987 or earlier:
Even more chilling, Cannon told Mayer and McManus, was the portrait that White House aides drew of Reagan himself: "They told stories about how inattentive and inept the President was. He was lazy; he wasn't interested in the job. They said he wouldn't read the papers they gave him--even short position papers and documents. They said he wouldn't come over to work--all he wanted to do was to watch movies and television at the residence."

Cannon told The Times that he interviewed 15 to 20 White House officials, including senior aides, and "the overwhelming majority" painted that portrait of Reagan.

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-09-...esident-reagan
Setting aside important concerns about sentiment and political messaging, from a strict managerial standpoint it's easy to say that George HW Bush was far more fit for office at the time than Ronald Reagan.

Other countries embrace a concept of "No confidence", whereby wrong choices for the head of state can be corrected. Founding father Benjamin Franklin characterized impeachment as being gentler than assassination, suggesting that he grasped the underlying issues. (Pretty astute for an 80 year old man!)

Ezra Klein argues for a mechanism to replace a President who just happens to have the wrong sort of temperament. https://www.vox.com/2017/11/30/16517...t-donald-trump

In business the Board of Directors can kick a bad CEO out the door, for any number of reasons. Even if they chose the guy themselves using their best judgment at the time. Modern conservatives tend to be pro- (authoritarian) government when their guy is in office though, so I expect them to reject capitalist processes on this narrow point.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:56 AM

Quote:

I'm not trying to staunch your hatred for Trump. I'm just saying...let's try to direct it on the substantive stuff. Like the content of yesterday's speech. By focusing on the "Shates" stuff, we sound just like Trump does when he bullies someone for being unattractive.
I endorse this post strongly. There is so much to criticize; why the focus on trivia? (Especially since it didn't resemble a neurological impairment, just ... loose dentures?)

Stephen Colbert messes up a few words in each monologue. So do most of us.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:27 AM

As everyone has pointed out, it wasn't just a few words. He seemed to lose his ability to say certain things. He honestly had that slight drunk tone to what he was saying, to me.

It could be benign. It could not be. But it is important.

It's also cathartic.

Last edited by BigT; 12-11-2017 at 04:29 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
That's what I was wondering. Whoever would he have dentures instead of implants?
Fear of operations? It'd be the same reason he wears a Tribble rather than getting hairplugs.

Last edited by MrDibble; 12-11-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:26 AM

Today's Li'l Donnie covers it well.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/06/donald...d-end-7138575/

I don't know what the hell happened to Trump's speaking ability. Yes, at one time he used to be pretty articulate. Maybe he is suffering from dementia or he's on drugs. Who knows?
As a general admirer of yours I have to ask (respectfully), are you out of your mind!?

Trump is a juvenile, impetuous reactionary who has his finger on the god damned button. If he's on drugs, we need to know. If he has dementia, we need to know. And calling him out on this type of thing is needed. And if he is on drugs or has failing mental capacities it's not really the same thing as you flubbing a line or two at the Rotary Club is it?

I actually do wonder if he is on drugs. All that sniffing he did during the debates combined with his questionable performance reeked of being not clean. In your referenced speech he slurred (and it was more than just one word) and sniffed.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Jackson View Post
...I actually do wonder if he is on drugs. All that sniffing he did during the debates combined with his questionable performance reeked of being not clean. In your referenced speech he slurred (and it was more than just one word) and sniffed.
He's surely hopped up on caffeine, what with drinking 12 Diet Cokes per day.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
He's surely hopped up on caffeine, what with drinking 12 Diet Cokes per day.
I'm hoping it's covfefe that's he's snorting.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:52 AM

For my part, I hope this is all benign. Not because I am a supporter of Trump. I want him beaten, not wheeled out of the White House bravely waving to scenes of tears and regret, with his replacement promising to redouble efforts to fulfil Trump's legacy and a huge sympathy vote for those who want to progress his "program" (if there is such a beast that can pass a meaningful test of coherence). I don't want him spoken of in terms of what he would have been able to achieve if only his health hadn't given out. If he left on such terms, his supporters would be under no obligation to point to actual achievements in order to idolise him. They can make up any shit they want about "what he would have been able to achieve if only he had been allowed to go on".

I want him to demonstrably fail to deliver competent leadership.

I want him beaten at the ballot box. No excuses.

I want there to be no hint of Camelot, or of things that might have been (which can always be painted as rosily as imagination allows).

It gives me no pleasure to recognise that wishing him well is also the decent thing to do in the case of any human being whether you like them or not. That is not the reason I am wishing him well.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Measure for Measure View Post
Speculation centers on TIA:
A transient ischemic attack (TIA) is a brief episode of neurologic dysfunction caused by ischemia (loss of blood flow) – either focal brain, spinal cord, or retinal – without infarction (tissue death). TIAs have the same underlying cause as strokes: a disruption of cerebral blood flow (CBF). Symptoms caused by a TIA resolve in 24 hours or less.
Alcohol is another proposed explanation, but I would bet against that. For one thing there's a noticeable difference between the first 30 seconds of the speech and the last 30 seconds: https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/938506878690254848

Separately, here's an apparently confused moment from last summer, where Trump wanders away from his Limo after stepping off his plane: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y-0Q5-gMcI

Then there are comparisons between Trump's current rambling and the interviews he gave during the 1990s.

The President is an elderly male: we can't rule out medical issues, especially given that he didn't release meaningful medical records during the campaign. If Trump wants to quiet questions like this, he can submit to a thorough medical examination and release the results, like every other modern President.
TIA was my first thought, as well. But it also reminded me of when Serene Branson had what people originally thought was a stroke on-air when she was reporting on the Grammy Awards in 2011. After medical testing, it was revealed that it was a migraine. Footage of the on-air incident can be seen here.
"Well, let me just go on record as saying that I would never shoot a cat.[...]. Unless it was approaching in a threatening manner... or refused to stop upon my command. I would probably just fire a warning shot to make my point, but that's really a field decision. I can't commit to it at this juncture."
Old 12-15-2017, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
TIA was my first thought, as well. But it also reminded me of when Serene Branson had what people originally thought was a stroke on-air when she was reporting on the Grammy Awards in 2011. After medical testing, it was revealed that it was a migraine. Footage of the on-air incident can be seen here.
What's fascinating is the way she maintains the perfect "TV reporter" cadence as she's unable to form the words. It's reminds me of Vanessa Bayer's gibberish-talking meteorologist on SNL.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
What's fascinating is the way she maintains the perfect "TV reporter" cadence as she's unable to form the words. It's reminds me of Vanessa Bayer's gibberish-talking meteorologist on SNL.
And the way that Selene keeps herself together during probably the scariest moment of her life, and you can see the fear and panic in her eyes, but she never lets it out. If that were me, I'd have probably shit myself while trying to scream "call 911!"

That's professionalism. Those few seconds earned her a lifetime of respect from me.
"Well, let me just go on record as saying that I would never shoot a cat.[...]. Unless it was approaching in a threatening manner... or refused to stop upon my command. I would probably just fire a warning shot to make my point, but that's really a field decision. I can't commit to it at this juncture."
Old 12-17-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
He was crooked and crazy then too. He just was better able to hide it.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Prosequi View Post
For my part, I hope this is all benign. Not because I am a supporter of Trump. I want him beaten, not wheeled out of the White House bravely waving to scenes of tears and regret, with his replacement promising to redouble efforts to fulfil Trump's legacy and a huge sympathy vote for those who want to progress his "program" (if there is such a beast that can pass a meaningful test of coherence). I don't want him spoken of in terms of what he would have been able to achieve if only his health hadn't given out. If he left on such terms, his supporters would be under no obligation to point to actual achievements in order to idolise him. They can make up any shit they want about "what he would have been able to achieve if only he had been allowed to go on".

I want him to demonstrably fail to deliver competent leadership.

I want him beaten at the ballot box. No excuses.

I want there to be no hint of Camelot, or of things that might have been (which can always be painted as rosily as imagination allows).

It gives me no pleasure to recognise that wishing him well is also the decent thing to do in the case of any human being whether you like them or not. That is not the reason I am wishing him well.
Not good enough. I want him to be impeached, and him, his family, and his Russia loving cronies facing charges and convictions and prison. I want them financially ruined. And after they are flat broke, I want them to get horribly sick and have NO HEALTH CARE. That would be justice.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:

You're not alone on this. I've been carping about this ever since "covfefe".

I remember when the anti-Obama crowd did this and it was a supremely awful and stupid look for them. "57 states! 57 states! Birth certificate! Hur de durr!" I try not to automatically assume that conservatives are brain damaged, but after watching this 8-year parade of petty booger-eating idiocy, it's really hard. I know they didn't all participate, but they were happy to chuckle and let it slide as long as it riled up the liberals.

Now my liberal friends are descending into this same vortex. One by one I'm tuning them out because it's just nauseating to hear this pettiness taking up any oxygen while there are serious, existential threats to our democracy presented by Trump and his pirate crew. Guys and gals, I'm right there with you for serious, but please knock it off with the peanut gallery bullshit.